Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,359
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured a 750 mL bottle (003x4) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma. Big thanks to Drink1121 for this one.
A: Ruby deep brown, it poured with a thinner head that died to a good cream collar.
S: Raisins and prunes, sour red wine with a nice oaky characteristic, leafy hops, and cabernet.
T: Sour, with cabernet and oak, cranberry and cherry (mostly from the currants), with a moldy, leafy hops on the finish.
M: Thinner and spritzy.
D: Awesome. I could finish the whole bottle and more.

ne0m00re, May 14, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Some friends picked up a bottle at B.L.A.H. for my birthday.

Pours a dark burgundy, with a slight pink head a little less then an inch thick. it goes away pretty quick.

the currents really come out in the beer! Gives it an earthy dry smell, lots of fruit sweetness is upfront with a bit a tartness on the nose.

The taste and mouth feel is just amazing. very smooth mouth feel with a slight tingle of carb on the tongue. Up front is a strong tart hello, then followed by a very sweet taste of blackberries followed by currents.

Really a great beer! I think I might like this more then supplication?

pastradul, May 14, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours an awesome mahogany cherry red with a small to medium sized head that dissipates quickly. Great dark maroon copper color in body, it looks great for a dark sour.

Smell is funky, some vinegar and barrel notes come through here.

Taste is of big funkiness, some oak comes through as well as vinegar and other sour notes. Some subtle horseblanket and prevalent leather come through. Very tart in the finish, quite a good sour. Another great one from Russian River.

Mouthfeel is of medium carbonation with a light dry finish. My moth waters after the finish for quite a while.

Quite drinkable for a sour of 10% ABV, I like this beer quite a bit and will seek it out in the future.

pmccallum86, May 14, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

beautiful deep reddish brown in a tiny snifter. Bubbly and more bubbly. Smells of the currants with some sour notes. On tasting, bubbles attack every exposed part of my mouth, giving birth to a flavor explosion. Is it wine? ale? sour? wood? Delcicious. Best of all, for having a such great, complex taste, it doesn't kill your palate. This my favorite of the Russian River 'tion beers. It's a good beer to give a swill drinker a taste of, exposing them to what's possible with a little creativity and experimentation.

andyfrancis, May 12, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -14.3%

Consecration 09

Hello, pretty little glass... You look dangerous.

Appearance> dark red brown, no head, no bubbles, no lacing

Smell>Sour cherry. Yeasty. Wow. Not my cuppa, but pretty fab for those who like this sort of thing.

Taste> The tart prune "tannins," if you will, strike suddenly... then the sour mash sensation warms up in the hang leaving the imbiber's palette with pleasant, plummy notes in the hang.

Mouf>thin and easy

Drinkability> Wow. That was great and a nice switchup from my usuals at the Toronado, but I couldn't have more than one... more than two would definitely be bad on a weekday.

1759Girl, May 10, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -11.4%

750 ml bottle from batch 002x1 poured into my duvel tulip. received from mikeyv35 on DLD. thanks! very excited to try this one.

A- this one pours out a dark cola colored body with a beige colored head that starts off tall and then quickly fizzes away. little spots of lacing are left behind.

S- very vinous and different. a little bit of red wine vinegar, raisins, and red grapes. definite odor of wild yeast/bacteria. some scents from the barrel. not as sour smelling as i was expecting.

T- the taste is equally complex and different as the smell. red wine vinegar comes through loud and clear. the sourness i was expecting comes through more subdued as the smell would indicate. leather, soft cheese, and lots of cherries, red grapes, green apples, and raisins. not a trace of the alcohol.

M- medium to full bodied and highly carbonated. about what i was expecting from a big wild belgian dark ale. leaves the mouth feeling very dry.

D- this was very easy to finish. that was pretty unexpected for something this big. not the most sour or funky beer ive tried, but one ill try to get again so i can see how it develops.

jwinship83, May 10, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap at Daily Pint. Most likely the fourth batch. I can't believe it has taken me this long to review what is currently my favorite beer, but, better late than never.

A decent amount of carbonation sitting atop a deep ruby body, almost brownish in tinge. Very sexy legs as I tilt the glass.

Some sour tannic goodness as far as the aromas are concerned, with a nice light whiff yielding a perfume-y sensuousness to the bouquet. I smell something else in there, a richness I can't quite identify.

Ah, so tart and spicy and lactic-acidy and cabernet-sauvignon-y. Not as smooth as some of the older batches, but this remains so enough to warrant plenty of accolades. The peppery flavors from the currants really stands out, as does the rich sourness.

Mouthfeel is fairly thick, but with the strength of the tartness I can't hold it enough for a thorough swishing (yeah, call me a wuss, go ahead).

Overall, this fourth batch could use some age, BUT, GDit Consecration is Consecration. And it feels like Consecration: raising me up to the heavens on a 10% ABV. God's work continues to be done.

jminsc76, May 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

Happy Birthday to me! Continuing my tradition of a Russian River sour each year. It's hard to believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

Batch 001x2

APPEARANCE: Pours into my Weyerbacher tulip a ruddy brown with a vibrant off-white head on top. It tries it's hardest to keep up with itself and refresh the waning foam, but it ultimately settles to a small but full sizzling cap.

SMELL: Very tart and vinous with a vinegar-like sour. In the background, things like chocolate and fruits come out, but this beer is all sour!

TASTE: Ok, we'll get this out of the way. Really, really sour. Otherwise, the wood and wine come on strong before giving way to chocolate and cherry on the finish. Oh yeah, and it finishes tart.

MOUTHFEEL: Quite thin and highly carbonated. This seems right on for style.

DRINKABILITY: I know I could drink this forever, but some consideration should be given to how the robustness of this beer affects how much you can have. Even still, I'll be polishing off this bottle easy.

Ah, I love my birthday. Great weather and great beer. Can't wait for next year.

jmalex, May 06, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Picked up a bottle at a Portland co-op, because that's the sort of town Portland is. Anyways, I split the bottle with a couple friends and was worried the sour and funky flavors, but they actually mild compared to some of the guezes I've tried. Instead of being a big, beat you over the head sour beer, the tang compliments the fruit, estery yeast, and mellow dark malts. I should also say that for 10%, this is as drinkable as any good beer is going to be.

tempest, May 01, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

Drank on 04/29/10
Poured from 750ml bottle into a Bruery tulip

A - The beer pour a dark red. Looks similar to a red wine. Has very minimal white head that faded away rather quickly. Virtually no lacing while drinking.

S - The smell is very interesting with lots of unique flavor profiles. I can smell the wine barrels that it was aged in. It has hints of oak and a stronger alcohol as well such and bourbon maybe. It has a very tart smell to it as well with dark sweet fruits in the mix.

T - I had one half glass with dinner and enjoyed it but it didn't seem that sour/tart to me from what I had read about this beer, but when I poured myself a full glass later in the evening the second glass seemed much more tart/sour. I can definitely taste the red wine from the barrel aging along with some oak. Has sweet fruit tastes to it as well. I can't distinguish the individual fruits though. I can also taste the current in the beer. The beer is very tart and dry on the back half. It is quite tasty but is definitely a sipping beer.

M - Mouthfeel is medium to high amounts of carbonation with a lighter body to the beer. Good for the style but you can't take very large sips of it.

D - This beer hides its ABV well, but is not something that I can drink a lot of in a sitting. Because it is so tart it much be sipped and savored so I don't think I would have more than a glass or two at a time. Its refreshing for the first glass but after that the ABV starts to hit you. Good beer overall and for the style.

Krevee, Apr 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -3.6%

A= Got this beer from Mikeyv35 in a killer trade. Thanks Mike! THe pour produces a nice burnt amber color with a very thin but lively head on it that falls fast to a thin ring around the glass but is kept interesting with a lot of bubbles coming from the lazer etching on the bottom of my perfect pint glass.

S= The smell is sour. A slight vinegar odor coming from it. Nice sour cherry or current odor to it. Refreshing.

T= Just as delicious as I expected. There is a nice mouth puckering sour taste to it. The vinegar that was in the smell doesn't come through in the taste at all. The taste is sour without being overly offensive. Exellent current taste to it as well as some really refined oak barrel taste. Really complex. Most sours I find to be somewhat one demensional but all of Russian Rivers I've found to be divine. The alcohol is really really well hidden. This is a creeper.

M= Nice and dry. Puckering and refreshing.

D= Another home run from Russian River in the sours I've had from then. While excellent this is not as good as Supplication. I like RR sours more than Cantillon. While they are both excellent I think the RR sours add another layer of complexity you don't find in Cantillon. California has no idea how spoiled they are. This beer is world class.

jjanega08, Apr 30, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

From 4/25/10 notes. Poured from a 750 ML bottle into my Duvel tulip.

a - Pours a dark amber color with one finger of white head. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of red wine, sour dark fruits, some sweet fruits, funk, and oak.

t - Tastes of sour fruits, wine, sweet malts, and some funk. A little disappointing from the smell.

m - High carbonation and medium body.

d - Pretty good and better than temptation, but not as good as supplication. Worth checking out and I would have again. Thought it smelled a little better than the taste.

mdfb79, Apr 28, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to mrstevens for sharing this one! Drank from my ccb snifter. Batch 001/003.

A- Pours dark ruby, almost brown in color. Very little head that quickly disappears. Minimal lacing left.

S- Sour, sour, and sour! I'm thinking I'm gonna love it. There are grapes, dark fruits, and vinegar present.

T- I def get the red wine notes! Very mouth puckering, this thing is sour! Dark fruits including red grapes, plums, and a faint raisan. The vinegar I get in the nose is also present, however, it's not overwhelming. A nice oak rounds it out.

M- Like I already mentioned, this just strips your tastebuds. Good carbonation level and a pretty dry finish.

D- I could easily have drank the whole bottle. I'm looking forward to trying the batch #2! I liked this more than the supplication, which we drank right b4 this.

urwithdave, Apr 26, 2010
4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Batch 002x3

Had a sample of this at Night of the Barrels and really liked it, so thanks to msulinski for sending me a bottle.

Pours a dark, red grape-skin color with an off-white head that slowly falls apart into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Light lacing.

Grapes, vinegar and dark fruits make up the majority of the nose. Somewhat acidic with a light alcohol aroma. Little bit of funk.

The flavor consists of sharp, slightly acidic, tart red grapes, chewy currants, bits of raisin and vanilla. Some warming alcohol and woodiness from the barrels comes through a bit. Nice tartness mixed with a small amount of cherry and plum.

Mouthfeel is carbonated well, maybe a little more than I would like and leads to a little bit of foaminess. Warming alcohol and a bit of mouth puckering tartness.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a big beer at 10% and with 1 year of cellaring it has some sharpness to it. Definitely a sipper, but decently complex and enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is another winner from Russian River, but maybe not quite on par with Supplication. I remember the sample I had on tap being smoother and a bit fruitier, but that could be due to the fact that this bottle has been aging for about a year. All in all though, this is a tasty beer and one that I hope to have again in the future. Looking forward to trying more Russian River sours.

sisuspeed, Apr 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Again, thanks to mrstevens for breaking this one out yesterday. Poured into my CCB snifter.

A: A murky sienna color. The pour dropped a nickel of foamy white head that faded rather quickly and didn't leave much lace.

A: Sour dark fruits, and notes of wood. Red grapes, apples, red wine, and oak. I get a bunch of sour notes, that warn me of what's to come.

T: Yup, this one's sour. Probably the sourest of wilds I have yet to try. More wine and woody oak. Sour dark fruits, cherry, blackberries, apples, and barnyard funk. Finishes rather dry and tart.

M: Medium body, high levels of carbonation. This one has a bit of a bite to it.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is somewhat lower. This one is extremely sour. Overall, I had this one back to back with Supplication, and let me tell you, it dosen't hold a candle. It is a little too sour for my taste, and the oak and wine barrels, while good, didn't do it for me in this brew. I liked it, just didn't love it. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 25, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured a clear dark amber color with some redness and brown hues about it. Served with no head present and minimal amount of faint spotty lacing. Nose is funky with oak and woodsy characteristics. Alcohol and Brett are apparent. Dry fruit smells riddled with alcohol. Taste is puckering with sourness and alcohol right upfront playing a lead role. Quite drying and tart. Flavors of dark skinned fruit come through as it warms...and warms it does as the alcohol in this beer is there in both warmth and taste. The woodsy flavors mesh favorably with the alcohol. Lingering tartness is left in the mouth that is puckering enough to make you go back in for continuous repetitive sips. Light feel and highly carbed this was one very enjoyable experience.

stakem, Apr 20, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Wonderful beer that comes out in a dark purple haze color. The head fades away fast, but leaves a light ring around the edge of the glass. Not a strong nose, but certainly got a little sour fruit (cherries and grapes). The bright taste with the sour finish was wonderful. It was not overpowering, but just perfect in finish. And the flavor kept on for a long time after, causing me to buy another 2. One for aging.

Served in a snifter.

Jessee, Apr 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy brown with hints of golden yellow... Nice white bubbles don't quite form a head, but a whispy ring around the edges. Very little lace-- but you see the legs on a good swirl.

I smell dark cherry and fig and some toasty woodiness... Smells a little funky sourness.

Tastes very nice with notes that follow nose... Very nice. Pleasant sourness on the finish.

Nice mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation-- this thing is little heftier than the supplication, not quite as drinkable, but
still scores highly.

AleWatcher, Apr 16, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

punkindrublic50, Apr 14, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottle@Omhpers place. Thanks for cracking this beauty open for our tasting!

A: Red-brownish with a generous, foamy, head.

S: Cherries, Funk, Malt, Wood. Quite lovely.

T: Malt, Cherries, Currant, Wood, Hint of Vanilla, Hint of fruit.

M: Wonderfully balanced with just enough funk for my taste. Insanely drinkable and the 10% abv is nowhere to be found. Has a very fresh feeling to it.

This is a very impressive american sour. It is easy to understand the high ratings. Awesome.

baggio, Apr 08, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 003x1

A - Poured into my NB tulip glass. Dark amber/brown in color. The head fades quickly with a pool of carbonation forming in the center, bubbling for the duration of the drink

S - Sharp oak smell with hints of the currants present

T - A very sharp, sour initial taste. Currants, grapes, and oak taste on the back end once the sour fades.

M - Completely amazing. Resonates throughout the mouth, touching every spot long after swallowing. Your taste buds literally pulsate for a few seconds after a good swirl.

D - Better with every sip. For a sour it goes down well and does not fade, opening up as it gets warmer.

ebin6, Apr 05, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Excited to finally try this one... I've had this aging for about a year.

This is a corked 750 mL bottle poured into a large snifter. A dark translucent ruby red color, initially very fizzy and well carbonated with around an inch of head. The head dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell is a sour and tart mix of cranberries, cherries, roses, and lemon.

A really powerful taste in this one. Cranberries and lemon are the dominant flavors to me, but also has some smoky flavors, rose petals, currants, wine, and vinegar-like acids. Alcohol blends in so well here it is very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and well carbonated. Awesome drinkability.

This had a lot of hype around it and lived up to my expectations. Delicious and interesting.

webmanspidey, Apr 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Red-brown colored body with minimal carbonation that only is around the edge of the glass.

Smells of dark red fruits, and sour at that. Cherries and I think currant, maybe grapes.

Sour, as I guess it's supposed to be. Sour cherries and apples battle back and forth on my tongue. There's a touch of cedar in the aftertaste. I'm thinking that it's supposed to be oak, but it's more like cedar to me.

Mouthfeel is, um, sour. Pucker up. The texture and carbonation are thin, like champagne.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and even my wife appreciated it, but it was a little too sour for my liking. I definitely recommend it and would have it again, though. It's just one that I'd only have a single glass of at the end of the night.

Vonerichs, Mar 31, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

from notes...

Batch 003x1

Poured into a snifter. WHOA! The carbonation in this beer is the most I've ever seen. The pour didn't leave much head, but the bubbles rapidly rose from the bottom to the top for the duration of it's time spent in my glass.

Oak, dark wine, and grape is all I'm getting from the aroma.

Taste was pretty sour. Definitely pick up the Cabernet and oak. With that I pick up some dark berries. I also got some malt action which complimented the those dark fruits very nicely.

The mouthfeel was fairly dry and tingly from the carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty solid beer. I found it to be similar to others in the Russian River line (Supplication & Damnation) in that it reminded me of a beer/champagne and wine all wrapped up into one. Very complex. I hope to visit this again when my palate has become more developed.

pwoody11, Mar 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This was the first sour I have tasted and I was surprised with the taste. I bought this beer with huge expectations and I was not disappointed. When I poured into my glass it was a dark brown color with a very thin head, which I was not expecting. Since it is a sour I was expecting a lighter color, because I was picturing a lemon shot or something.

When I smelled this beer it smelled like a floral bouquet. I kept telling my wife to smell it because it smelled so good.

Then when I drank it felt like I was drinking wine and not beer. So I tried it again and I was shocked that this is called a beer.

Overall this is a good beer that s very drinkable even though it is at 10% ABV. If you have friends that are wine drinkers you need to have them try this, they will love it.

TKEAnimal, Mar 29, 2010