Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,345
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
mudbug

Oregon

4.75/5  rDev +6%

Pours like a soda pop with a quickly dissipating bubbly froth.
What is this?A dark brown clear liquid no head at all, beer?
The aroma is perplexing, I would describe it as the insides of a discarded yeasty/moldy jar of raspberry jam.
Taste is what it's about, YEE GADS thats sour, Like the best lemonaid you ever had,sour cherries, unripe apricots, strong carbonation hammers down the sour taste-buds until endorphins take over and calm everything down again, must have another taste, then another
Addicting, mesmerizing flavor.
Ye Gads! BRAVO!

12-04-2009 03:10:24 | More by mudbug
flagmantho

Washington

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a tulip. This was from batch 002X3.

Appearance: deep mahogany brown with reddish hints; two finger fizzy head which dissipated very quickly.

Smell: very interesting; there's a lot going on here. Right off the bat, it smells like wood; there is also the aroma of currant and raisin and tobacco. There is a distinct tartness which I'm sure is attributable to the bacteria. Overall, I like it, although it doesn't necessarily whet my appetite for beer.

Taste: tart, bright and sour. The subtleties of the aroma eventually come through, but off the bat it reminds me of eating super-sour candy as a kid. The other flavors are not particularly strong; I like the tartness but it is a bit extreme. As I consume more of it, I find it growing on me.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a nice carbonation. I quite like it.

Drinkability: this beer perplexes me a bit. Each time I take a sip, the sourness blows me back; soon, however, I am appreciating the undertones, and finally I find myself yearning for another sip. This is a truly interesting beer.

11-25-2009 23:09:34 | More by flagmantho
FtownThrowDown

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

This is quite possibly my favorite Russian River beer. I absolutely love this one.
Pours a dark reddish brown in color. A very nice inch and a half of off white head forms on the pour. Smell is sour/tart and has a very nice vinous note as well.
Taste is off the charts incredible. This second batch bottle is more tart and sour than all the first batch bottles I have drank. I'm actually digging it more. Even with the more pronounced sour and tartness this beer is still every bit as drinkable as it always has been. The currants give a very nice vinous quality in the flavor.
Full, with perfect carbonation this is a pleasure to drink. One of my favorite beers of all time.
Well done and keep up the great work Vinnie!

11-25-2009 21:33:13 | More by FtownThrowDown
Zaplt

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Beer was shared three ways (hobojon and DaveJanssen) poured meticulously and artistically into a tulip La Chouffe glass. Batch - 002X1

Appearance - The color was a deep dark amber, surprisingly clear. Lighter head with a lack of lacing.

Smell - Complex with initial sweetness slowly enveloped by a fruity (raisin), and bready smell with a strong funk ensuing. The sour funk (which I described as barnyard) was not too overwhelming, but quite pleasant)

Taste - The first sip knocked me off my feet. Many layers of flavors - Amazing layers of sweetness/funkiness/mild malt. Tart/sour funk very apparent after first sip - wonderfully balanced - the sweetness was very strong, more so than expected but well balanced with the sour funk and malt and countless other tastes words cannot portray. Wine character and oak evident from aging.

Mouthfeel - Generally high carbonation but not unpleasant. Sweet and full considering.

Drinkability - Lovely beer - one of the most drinkable soured beers I have ever tried. Will gladly recommend to experienced beer lovers and inquiring minds concerning innovative soured beers. Go Russian River go!

11-24-2009 05:46:44 | More by Zaplt
DaveJanssen

Germany

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Split a 750mL (batch 002X1) three ways with hobojon and zaplt, poured into small tulip

Ar: Tart, dark fruit, raisin, chocolate, light barnyard funk, strong oak, cherries and chocolate, toasty dark bread, strong wine, sweet.

Ap: Clear dark brown/red, tan head, good retention

F: Very tart, pomegranate, strong acid with smooth end, complex fruitiness, chocolate, alcohol, caramel sweetness, red wine, raisins, dark berries, prunes, earthy, strong oak, reasonably sweet

M: medium high carbonation, medium mouthfeel, light acid warmth at end

O: Strong oak (might like less better), very complex, very wine like, more tart than i remember (last time was on tap) and more funk

11-24-2009 05:37:39 | More by DaveJanssen
hobojon

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottle 002X1 picked up at RRBC tasted with davejanssen and zaplt. poured in tulip glass.

Aroma- oak (cinnamon, woody), dark fruit, sour, dark crystal malt, sweet, alcohol (subtle). great aroma.

App- clear, fine tan head. dark brown/red color.

Taste- sweet fruity malt to sour dry finish. oak is present. lots of complex sourness and currants come through. better than on tap.

Mouthfeel- dry enough but sweet and some alcohol is present. fine med/high carb.

Overall- very good, more oak and less sour than on tap at RRBC and Toronado. one of my favorites RR beers.

11-24-2009 05:33:53 | More by hobojon
Otesanek

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Barrel aged 6 months in oak with currants. Brett, sacc, pedio, and lacto cultures. Batch 002x2. Maroon label with a black and white line drawing of a spear, I assume the lance of Longinus. My fiance carried this back from Cali for me. Poured at 49° into a snifter. 1/8th inch head settles out instantly to a bubbly ring. The body of the beer is sorta a tawny port color, a reddish-orange in the deepest spots. Sweet oaky nose, some fruit, smells like a fruit forward red wine, not a lot of sour in the nose, maybe just a hint. The body is good, spritzy carbonation, lightly coating, lightly puckering. Flavor comes on strong with cherries, currants, very tart, a nice long rolling tartness, just a faint bit acetic, which I like in small quantities. Lots of oak, woody and dry, not vanilla, perhaps they used non-American barrels. As it's warmed slightly I'm picking up the brett in the nose, a kinda spicy chemical-leather. It's coming forward in the taste too, again, leathery and earthy melding into the sour fruits. The alcohol is really well hidden on this beast. It's an intense beverage to be sure, but well balanced, the tartness is just right, no real sign of the booze, goes down easily all things considered. I wish I had more of this stuff...

11-22-2009 15:00:29 | More by Otesanek
Reagan1984

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

Big POP of the cork starts the fun with this RR classic. A thin & active light tan head forms then immediately vanishes. The beer is a ruby/amber color. Some rapidly rising carbonation can be seen along the edges of my tulip glass.

Aroma is tart, slight cherry. Oak makes an appearance as it continues open up.

Initial burst of tartness is followed by lots of cherry notes. A hint of vanilla and wood in the background. Only the slightest sense of warming from the ABV. There is an interesting lingering bitterness that remains and mixes with the wood notes. Very nice. Nutty notes now and again.
I obviously know this is brewed with currants, but I have no idea what currants taste like. I am thinking they are similar to cherry. I get this sense of pencil eraser in the flavor. I remember being a kid and sticking the end of the pencil in my mouth. Something here brought back that memory.. More wood is evident as it comes to room temp.

Carbonation is somewhat champagne like. Body is medium.light and the carbonation really brings the flavor to life.

This is a very nice beer and fairly complex.

11-20-2009 01:37:33 | More by Reagan1984
DaPeculierDane

Wisconsin

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

I approached this beer with eager anticipation and confidence that it wouldn't disappoint. As expected it did not. Consecration pours a deep ruby red with almost blood orange hues and a healthy pink lacing. A depthful aroma forwarns of tartness but better yet contains a rich dark fruitiness and even...what is it,, Tamarind? Hints of vinegar and dried fruit follow. On the tongue the beer is obviously tart, subtly sour, and surprisingly chewy and full. Ever present is oak rounding out dried fruits lactic notes. At times lighter notes of raspberry almost shine through. A beery like vinegar flavor stings at the palate long after the sip is consumed. If one focuses in on the oak it opens up just slightly enough to reveal vanilla and coconut. Vinous. Though a lesser masterpiece than Temptation, Sanctification, Supplication, or Beatification in my opinion, this is a tour de force nonetheless.

11-12-2009 20:04:49 | More by DaPeculierDane
Billolick

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

Caged and corked Belgian style bottle, pours a regal tone of soft brown, under a lighter mocha head. The nose on this one is infused with wood and hints of maple. On the tongue instantly noticable are notes of soft vermouth, ripe fruit, light pepper, complexity extending light funk and echos of yeast coursing through, simply delicious in every way. Smooth, soft, flavorful and yummy in a dark and wet Belgium filtered through sunny California sort of way. Please consider distributing this to my local bars and stores sometime soon...

11-11-2009 13:20:59 | More by Billolick
IronCitySteve

4.3/5  rDev -4%

A: Pours a deep dark ruby red with some mahogany mixed in. A one finger tan foam head that dissipates slowly. Ample amounts of carbonations.

S: Lots of dark fruit, plums, raisin, cherries, currants/black berries, leather and dark tannins. Reminds me of a 'red wine' smell to it.

T: The cherry flavor to me is the most predominant. The cherry flavor is slightly on the tart side. Good amounts of oak and currants as well.

M: Leaves a dry tartness on the palate, similar to red wine.

D: I was one and done with this beer, not because it is bad, because it wasn't. The higher ABV made this beer a one and done for me.

11-09-2009 13:47:29 | More by IronCitySteve
BDLbrewster

3.3/5  rDev -26.3%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

11-09-2009 02:09:59 | More by BDLbrewster
stoutfiend27

bottle sent to me by genghis22 ..poured into multiple glasses

a-ruddy burgundy ruby color...large fluffy off white head...carbonation was there

s-fruits...lactic acid smell....musty blanket....vinegar....prunes and slight nose of currants and some cheery and wood

t-sour and sour..vinegar...fruitiness and barnyard..wood and slightly tanic..sour cherries...finishes sour...

m-acidic and sour...hits the mouth hard...finishes acidic but smooth

d-750 is almost too much....but it is so enticing that it brings you back for more abv is well hidden would have never guessed it was 10%...

overall i fear that my review will not do it justice as i really am at a loss for words...so much complexity i dont know how to describe it...thanks james for the truly warming house warming...

11-08-2009 06:10:02 | More by stoutfiend27
strictly4DK

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle from Batch 3 poured into a tulip glass.

A - Translucent chestnut, fizzy head, no retention or lacing.

S - Small amount of brown sugar, dry vinous, small notes of dark fruit, sour funk.

T - First glass full was overpowered by brett funk and tart. Not the expected lemon zest tart like a gueze, dry vinous tart from the carbarnet grapes. Taste failed to capture the complexity of the nose... until the second pour. Each sip brought different complexities, brown sugar and dark sweet fruits (date, fig). Palate ends with strong dose of oak.

M - Fizzy carbonation, good for this style, light bodied.

D - Delicious, complex wild ale, far exceeded my expectations. Yet, between the ABV and dry finish, finishing this big bottle was a bit laborious.

11-07-2009 18:08:55 | More by strictly4DK
sinistermadman

Oregon

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

Batch 002X3

Deep crimson in color with a head maintained by a continuous carbonation stream. Sour aroma with a mild mustiness.

Taste is almost perfectly balanced. Initial sourness melds into some wonderful fruit nuances. Just the right amount of sourness for my tastes. Tartness livens up the mouthfeel, while the beer remains very refreshing and non-cloying. Extremely drinkable at 10%. Well done sirs. Well done.

11-01-2009 00:58:57 | More by sinistermadman
quinnsi

Had at Monk's Cafe in Philly

A: Vinous purple with a head that quickly dissipates.

N: Dark fruit, and quite vinous. I'm starting to see a trend here. The oak aging, currants, and cabernet are all showing themselves.

T: Deep fruit flavors, with a nice sour undercurrent running through it. Lot's of wine characteristics here. Dark red wine and tannins being tasted upon exhale. After swallowing, pleasant ripe fruit odors fill the mouth.

Overall, a very nice beer - one of the most compley I've tasted. Very full bodied, with sour flavors playing 2nd fiddle to the fruit and oak. I'd love to see some age on this beer, where hopefully some of the fruit will calm down a hair, allowing the brett/sour to show through.

10-30-2009 03:07:15 | More by quinnsi
ThreeWiseMen

4.6/5  rDev +2.7%

Swimsum and I sampled Consecration and Temptation back-to-back yesterday. This Consecration was his. Thanks Brent! Following review written from notes.

Batch 002 Bottling Run #2
Poured into a New Belgium globe.

Appearance: Looked opaque at first, but closer observation showed that it was actually a beautiful mahogany color. When illuminated, the body glowed deep crimson and showed off the ferocious carbonation within. That carbonation fed a tight, creamy, khaki-colored head for the entire session; fantastic retention! This beer was also pretty clean; no real lacing to speak of.

Smell: Red wine vinegar, bread, tart red currants, and some other indescribable sourness. I'm sorry, but I really haven't had many sours - this was hard for me to put into words. Regardless, it was mouth-watering. And I'm not a sour guy either.

Taste: The first sip puckered me up bad, but after that I was able to acclimate. Fucking bomb! The cabernet character was bold, and the red currants accented it very nicely. Breadiness/malt formed a nice backbone, which helped balance out some of the tartness. Absolutely delicious. I'd give this a 5.0, but I think that may be a little premature. I'll definitely come back to it again in the future (after I've tasted a number of other sours).

Mouthfeel: Dry, sour, and highly carbonated. I heard from Brent that this particular batch was accidentally over-carbonated, but I feel like the high carbonation suited Consecration very nicely. Medium-bodied, slightly oily, and acidic.

Drinkability: I was really afraid that I wouldn't like this beer, but that wasn't the case at all. This was fantastic! I couldn't get enough! I'll definitely be buying Consecration again. Also, I liked it much better than Temptation (see review here: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/863/9474/?ba=ThreeWiseMen).

10-20-2009 03:44:02 | More by ThreeWiseMen
AgentZero

3.63/5  rDev -19%

From the 03 batch

A - Very brown, small head with quick dissipation and no lacing. Slightly red, can see through, nice minimal bubble streams add a classy look to this one.

S - Currants, sweet, can defiantely smell the alcohol, almost phenolish. Deep oak on the end.

T - Currants on the front, goes very tart and just doesn't quit. Very dry.

M - Medium light, no carbonation, very dry.

D - Too tart and too much phenol like taste to drink a lot of. In all fairness this might be a better beer than I'm going to end up rating, but it was following two sweeter beers that were both amazing (NG Raspberry Tart and RR Temptation).

10-19-2009 14:31:29 | More by AgentZero

Brewed: 6/18/2008
Bottled: 4/1/2009
Primary: Abbey Ale Yeast
Conditioning: Rockpile

A: Deep chestnut brown, very bubbly, tan head, no retention, only a hint of leg.

S: Nice sour aroma with plenty of dark fruit, brown sugar, a little brett & funk, fairly woody.

T: Plenty of dark fruit and currants, a pleasant sourness (a light mix of Brettanomyces, lactobacillus & other funk), hints of cocoa and dry-roasted nuts, wood.

M: Very dry, very bubbly, with only a slight acidity.

D: A remarkably good drinker.

10-18-2009 03:25:27 | More by Derek
jrallen34

4.3/5  rDev -4%

I drank this from the bottle into a chalice. Batch 03.

This pours a light clear brown, very clear in the light. The head is very small with no retention, light lacing.

The aroma is light but pretty complex, especially compared to temptation, which I tasted at the same time. The sour funk is there but there notes of sweet druit, alcohol and wood, which is very pleasant.

The taste is very strange and heavy handed in the beginning. Its like the tannins of a red wine. There are some notes of oak and alcohol. The taste is very sour on the end. **Upon re-review 8 months later, I like it a lot better. The wood really mellows out and starts to show off a little more sweetness in the red wine variety.

Mouthfeel is very heavy, but not entirely drinkable.

Overall, pretty damn good sour, but not world class as its rating and ranking suggest. Worth trying but don't overpay or trade for it.

10-18-2009 01:34:10 | More by jrallen34
Sechavar

4.93/5  rDev +10%

Got a bottle of Batch 1 (involuntary response) from Hi Times in Costa Mesa, CA. Smelled like currant jam and a little bit of balsamic vinegar had been smeared right on my upper lip, and I eagerly awaited licking it off. Poured like juice, slightly viscous, thin syrup, like from canned fruit. Little to no head. Tastes like (involuntary response) currants picked at the peak of perfection, crushed by the feet of nubile virgins. And I was licking their feet, gratefully, smacking my lips, licking my lips, leaving it in my mouth just to tease to see how long I could go without swallowing it. When it was finished, I was a little tipsy and begging for more.

10-15-2009 03:38:07 | More by Sechavar
slvrmon82

Delaware

3.83/5  rDev -14.5%

I live in Delaware and we can not find Russian River anywhere around. I found some the other day at Monks Cafe in downtown Philadelphia.

The appearance in very dark and ruby. Almost like a pinot noir. It poured a little thick with almost no carbonation. There was little head that dissipated rather quickly.

The smell was very light in my opinion. Lots of sweet fruit with a little sour as well.

Taste was very good. It was sweet and sour and had almost taken on the pinot taste from the barrels that is aged on. It has some nice hops at the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel was very nice as well. It almost appears like wine but it had a lot of carbonation behind it. I was really not expecting the carbonation.

Drinkability is good but not great. If you like wild-ale this would be great. I could not keep drinking again and again especially with a $30 price tag. But you get what you pay for.

It was a great beer and I will drink again.

10-14-2009 19:24:12 | More by slvrmon82
pepsican

Iowa

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

hand bottle from Joey, thanks a lot! High light of the night for me at our tasting. Amber pour with a nice little head coming off of it. Flavor was up front cranberry, plums, an plenty of tannic wine notes. Very tart, mildly refreshing.

update on the batch 1/04

Starting to overcarbonate, champagne style large bubbles muddle up the complexity of this one. Touches of unwanted acidity are also coming forward, and the fruit has definitely died off a bit as well as the sharp tannic bite from the wine barrels.

10-07-2009 17:16:44 | More by pepsican
GeoffFromSJ

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%

Had this on-tap at Tria in Philadelphia.

Sour and funky but not overpowering. Deep dark fruit flavors.

I was expecting more complexity and deeper flavors*, but what I got instead was a really smooth and pleasant wild ale. Quite drinkable given its alcohol percentage.

* Not saying it isn't deep. Just not as much as I was expecting.

10-06-2009 02:35:46 | More by GeoffFromSJ
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Cheers to Solomon420 helping get this one! Review based on notes

Batch 002X1 pours a hugely effervescent brown/chestnut with a rapidly falling tan head; a great beer to listen to...Nice viscosity to this, a touch of lacing & zero head retention

S: Much sourness, , leather, figs & candied cherries

T: Tartness, cherries, dryness; leather, raisins & figs up front, plus a touch of leafy hops. Oaky dryness & tart cherries dominate as this warms, & a bit of boozey figs, leather & more leafy hops as this warms. Finishes uber dry with leather. figs, vanilla & boozey cherries

MF: Medium bodied, soft carbonation, became oily & sticky once warm

Drinks easy as a wild ale & the ABV, a touch too dry for me to be completely happy with it, another great sour from these guys!

10-06-2009 02:25:50 | More by russpowell