Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,428
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Pours out a medium amber color with about a finger of off-white head forms that has pretty average retention and minimal lacing. Some carbonation is present, but not a whole lot.

Smell: Funk and mustiness are present, but not real strongly. A bit of sourness as well, and quite a bit of oak, along with some darker fruit character; possibly plum and/or currant.

Taste: The plums and currants come out first, followed by strong mustiness and acidity. Out of Temptation, Supplication and Consecration, this beer is assuredly the most sour. A definite lactic sourness noted that is biting, and combines with the oak character very nicely. This is absolutely the highlight of this beer.

Mouthfeel: This beer is definitely medium bodied, but is lacking a bit of carbonation for my taste. Fairly low for the style, but still good. Overall, a good wild ale that really satisfies if you're looking for something sour. I wish the other aspects of this beer were as good as the taste, because it is good.

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%

12oz corked bottle split into three samplers

Pours a nice dark rubyish color, with only a little head. Smell is sweet and sour, and in a little way, quite wonderful. Maybe some dark grapes, maybe a little cherry.

Taste is very tart, a little plummy, a little dark bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is thin, a little filmy. Overall, I'm enjoying this more than the Sanctification in the other glass.

4.58/5  rDev +1.8%

This is my first review on BA. This beer is so outstanding I feel I must review it.

Appearance: Poured into an oversize red wine glass, pours red-brown with a thin head that disappears quickly. Using a headlamp to give it some backlight reveals a steady stream of bubbles rising to the top

Smell: Leather funk, and like spontaneously fermenting raspberries.

Taste: Like it smells, tart on the back of the tongue, caramel sweetness. I've had barrel aged beer and brett soured beer before, but never together, and this is nothing like I've tasted in either case. Its complexity changes as it warms to room temperature; the currant flavors come out more and the sourness is much more pronounced. it develops a creamy softness that balances out the flavors. the 10% alcohol is completely masked by the other flavors and textures. has a very long finish that tastes like a full bodied cabernet. the finish is complimented by a well aged asiago and a single sip of Islay single matl scotch

Mouthfeel: the carbonation tickles the tongue almost as much as the sourness.

as a whole this beer is amazing, will probably drink again as a special occasion.

4.9/5  rDev +8.9%

I've had the opportunity to have this on three separate occasions. Once at GABF, and twice at home with some bottles I was able to find while out there. The beer at first is unassuming. It pours a cloudy, hazy, mahogany with a small, tiny head. Then you smell it. Smell is oaked funk. Very sour, with a sufficiently huge aroma. First taste is an explosion on the tongue, with a huge sour note exploding outwards midway through the first taste. Wow. That's really all I can say. Must be tasted to be believed. The standard bearer for sour beers. . Pliny gets all the press but this beer deserves all the accolades - and more. Most assuredly up there with my favorites of all time.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

375ml bottle served at 55 degrees,poured into a snifter.Batch 5 I believe.

A. Big pop as I take out the cork,Pours a beautiful ruby red,especially held upto the light.Very clear and lots of carbonation.A one finger head leaves as quickly as it came and left no lacing what so ever.

S. Big red wine smell, sour grapes pucker my mouth before I even taste (I'm a sour greenhorn) in anticipation.Definately picking up the oak in the nose,And A bit of the alchohol.

T. At first very sour and dry! I can't explain to much I do get some of that barn yard smell along with sour grapes. What I like best is it mellows out in the end with the oak.

M. Medium feel is nice. prickly carbonation stings the pallet.

Overall this is only my second sour ever and I enjoyed it quit a bit.I have another in the celler, interested to see what age does to it.Try this if you have not tried it yet.

4.75/5  rDev +5.6%

A: medium brown reddish color with a light creamy colored head unfiltered and full bodied look.
S: so many aromas...black licorice, raspberry, currant, Belgian like yeast, and the sourness comes in the back of the nose.
T: a sour raspberry cocoa blend a bit of nuttiness and like banana at the end.
M/D: crisp and dry like a fine wine never had that from a beer. All this blends together well and creates one very drinkable beer.

4.8/5  rDev +6.7%

I had this on-tap at Capone's during the Russian River event. Poured into a goblet. This was Batch 1.

Appearance: Pours an opaque reddish brown color with a layer of off white head that goes away completely.

Smell: Sour fruity vinegar with a hint of sweetness. I'd say it is very wine like.

Taste: Just like the smell, I'm picking up sour fruit and vinegar notes, but much smoother here than in the smell. I can taste oak, and red wine. All the flavors are in perfect balance. The finish is warm from the alcohol, very nice.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly mild carbonation. The finish is dry and woody.

Overall: I haven't found a sour beer that I like better than this one. The flavors are so well balanced, and the alcohol isn't anywhere to be found. Very smooth.

4.25/5  rDev -5.6%

Batch 001 on tap at Capone's

A: Pours a very dark brown with a cherry hue. The head is ivory to tan colored, and leaves a thick lacing on the walls of my glass.

S: Funk up front, leaning towards barnyard, not much leather. The signature 'Tion aroma follows the funk. The currant and raisins wrap up the nose and give it a nice balance.

T: The funk and sour are muted compared to the nose. There fruit flavors are muted a little, but what has seemed to have faded the most over time is the funkiness. More recent batches have a more pronounced flavor.

M: Medium bodied, with nice prickly carbonation, and a lingering sourness.

D: This is a great beer, but not as good as fresher batches, IMO.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

Aroma is very sour with notes of fruit. The appearance is a brandy color with red hints coming through. The taste is sour, but in the best way possible. It is a perfect example of a wine-barrel aged beer. My favorite sour ale at the moment by far. Hopefully my local store will have some more soon. Russian River Brewing really has their act together with a great variety of top notch beers coming out, I have yet to be disappointed.

3.75/5  rDev -16.7%

375ml corked and caged bottle. Batch 005X2F...

A - Pours an amber/brown with a one finger tan head that dissipates almost immediately...

S - Smells of various fruits; cherries, green apples, and mixed berries. Don't detect any heat in the scent...

T - The cherries and mixed berries from the scent come through with a little oak. Ends on a tart note with some heat making an appereance. Abv is noticeable, but is not over the top. Very smooth and well ballanced...

M - Medium bodied with lots of carbonation...

O - Not my favorite style, but something I enjoy from time to time. Glad I finally tried this one. Solid example of the style, and something I will be definitely be picking up again...

Cheers...

4.78/5  rDev +6.2%

Batch 004X2

Poured into a New Belgium Tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear Mahogany with a very small off white head that vanishes into a fine ring that follows the glass down.

S - I am getting some Brett funk, leather, barnyard, some dark fruit, figs, plum, and a touch of oak.

T - Sour, Tart, Puckering Tart, oakey, and fruity in that order. Sourness starts off on first sip, followed by a nice tartness that increases until it puckers you. Then some of the oak is shining through followed by the dark fruit. Simply amazing. An incredible showcase of flavors.

M - On firt glance your thinking full bodied, but this is really light on the tounge. Very deceiving on carbonation. The sourness makes you feel like it has alot of carbonic bite, when in reality it is very lightly carbed.

O - This is the best sour I have ever had. The complexity is overwhelming. This is so masterfully crafted that it rivals the finest Bordeaux blends. This should be on every beer lovers bucket list.

4.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Got this in a trade from Beerdy! Thanks!

A: Nice dark amber color. Leaves a small ring of white head

S: You can smell the sourness and the hints of fruits with this one.

T: First sip is sour, sour and guess what more sour. Dry fruit follows once you get accustomed to the tartness. A hint of the fruit sweetness gets through but then followed by the sourness.

M: I imagine I was drinking a dry red wine instead of a beer.

D: A great sour that is pretty dry. This was my first sour which I was excited about and scared about if I would like it. Cant wait to try more sours!

3.58/5  rDev -20.4%

A huge thanks goes out to MadVermin who sent this as part of our trade! Seems a little short filled unfortunately.

Appearance - Much darker than the other Russian Rivers I've had. No head or froth upon pouring at all. The carbonation is hard to judge on this. Overall, an opaque deep red and brown color. Looks quite sweet and honestly a little flat.

Smell - A little sweeter side to the traditional sour smell of Russian River beers. Some light cherry and perhaps some other fruits as well. Light lemon in the distance. Definitely a heavy oak flavor all-throughout.

Taste - Sour and tart on the front. I immediately notice the translation of light cherries from nose to mouth. A fairly heavy lemon zest throughout; while retaining a certain amount of sweet fruit.The power of the lemon, ethanol, and carbonation are perhaps a little to much and cause some sort of upset in my throat. I very oddly taste chocolate in my mouth after the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - My initial response after my first drink was that this was a heavy-bodied beer. But it soon mellowed out to be pretty average-medium bodied. Sour and tart with a hint of sweetness. Heavy carbonation becomes clear upon my first drink. Slight sourness left on the lips. Nice to sip and enjoy. Ethanol is hidden quite well but stands out at times. I think I would prefer sanctification over this one.

4.33/5  rDev -3.8%

March 30, 2011: Batch 005X2F. Thanks to beerman4 for sending this guy!

A: Bubbly white head grows initially, but disappears instantly. Nothing left after more than a few second and no lacing. Very dark red, almost brown pour. 3.5

S: Lots of oak, cherries, and a bit of sourness in the smell. Tart currants are dominant, some sweetness underneath.

T: The taste is pretty tart up front, cherries or currants I guess. Lots of oakiness and a bit sour. The sourness isn't dominate, but present.

MF: Light with a nice amount of carbonation. Hardly any hint of alcohol.

O: I didn't mind this one. I've had a couple of sours in a row I really didn't like, but this wasn't bad.

December 31, 2011: Batch 004X1. Figured I'd give this another try as I'm starting to really like sours now.

A: The beer pours a very deep red, almost amber, with a fizzy off white head. Absolutely no lacing or retention, and only a few bubbles float up the side of my Russian River -tion snifter. The color really impresses me, hence the increase in rating. 4

S: The smell is really sour and oaky. Booze and currants lay underneath. The fruit really does a good job of providing a sweetness to balance the sourness, but still sits second. 4

T: Huge increase here. I understand the reason this is so highly regarded. Big fruit, big sour, ton of funk, oak, booze, all balanced wonderfully, just barely on the sour side. The fruits are tart cherries and currants, which really come out in the middle. Sour up fruit and an oaky booze at the end. Tart finish. 4.5

MF: Medium body, low carbonation, very tart on the palate throughout. 4

O: This was wonderful. Very glad I tried it again. 4.5

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Poured froma 375ml bottle into a tulip at Euclid Hall.

A: Pours a rich dark brown similar to a dark scotch or whisky with no head whatsoever. Lacing is lean if at all. Reminds me of a glass filled with a spirit.

S: Intense tart and sour notes. Currents are dominate for main flavor but oak is present as well. Touch of sweetness similar to vanilla pop up here and there but overall this is a very sour beer.

T: Clean and balanced but still quite tart and sour. Big sour and tart notes hit the palate up front with current as the fruit. Current is very dominate but the entire flavor is clean and balanced with just a touch of oak and wood.

M: Full bodied and clings to the palate, front to back, from start to finish. There is zero carbonation, the bite from this beer comes from the sour affects of yeast and barrel aging.

D: This is an amazing sour. The barrel aging in Cabernet barrels with currents truly gives you a puckering affect that's sour and tart from start to finish. This isn't over done on sour instead is incredibly balanced for how intense and big this beer is.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

375ml bottle poured into my New Belgium glass
An "extra" from walows, thanks man, been wanting to try this one for a while

This is my first RR sour. Been fortunate to try Pliny and Damnation and, not that they need my approval, have come away impressed.

Pours deep raisin with a touch of ruby. A 1 cm head quickly comes and goes and leaves no trace.

You can smell the acidity that awaits, not much hint of fruit and instead a healthy dose of barnyard

tart, like a cherry with all of the sugar removed. You can tell there has been fruit there, but I couldn't have told you currants. Very enjoyable overall but I have been on a major sour kick

nice mouthfeel and not overly carbonated.
I could drink this one again; RR is more of a pain to get and I have a supplication, temptation, and sanctification waiting in the wings. It will be interesting to compare this "more commonly" available RR sour to a couple that tend to be a little more hard to get (especially to me)

4.53/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Alright, its about time that I got down to drinking Consecration. 375ml bottle poured into an Ayinger Celebrator chalice type glass at about 45 degrees F. Popping the cork, the aromas fill the air.
It pours a rather nice looking grape juice colored reddish purple color with a fairly small off white head with no lacing. Smells of black currants, cherry, horse blanket, and a little funk. Tastes of black currants, cherry, brett sourness, funky yeast, oak aging, and tons of mouth puckering goodness. Mouthfeel is medium with a heavy carbonation and a crisp feel. Overall it is absolutely awesome.

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

appearance: off brownish with garnet tint

smell: sour cherry, balsamic

taste: oak aging is noticeable and well done. lot sof red fruit flavors bledened with balsamic

mouthfeel: medium bodied

drinkability: probably one of the best sours I've, very pungent, but also very drinkable.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%

batch 001X4 750ml bottle.

A-Pours burgundy/brown with cherry highlights and 3/4 inch of chocolate milk colored head. Reduces quickly, leaving almost no lacing.

S-Tart cherry/blackcurrant acidity, reminiscent of a good lambic. Moderately funky aromas of brett/horse blanket.

T/M-Age has been kind to this one. The intensely tart fruit flavors have held up for the most part. Strong flavors of balsamic reduction and maraschino cherries. The finish is aggressively tart, with a hint of brown sugar.

O-One of the best sours to come out of Russian River. I could see this going another 2 years at least.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours orange-amber with thin white head.

Aroma is sharply and brightly funky, not barnyard, but more tart.

Flavor is nicely tart. Sourness is full but not overwhelming. Currant flavor is mild, just the right level of sweetness to add some balance to the tartness. The flavor is simple, straightforward, but right on.

Mouthfeel is dry, with low-medium carbonation.

Overall, an excellent beer. Uncomplicated, enjoyable flavor, with just the right number and combination of notes to hold your interest, without being pretentious or muddled.

3.5/5  rDev -22.2%

amber brown color with a thin white head. no lacing whatsoever. Head fades to nothing rather quickly. smell is capital Potent of funky sourness. I don't know how to describe the taste, but it's intensely sour, with dark fruit notes. zingy mouthfeel.

overall: the lesser of all the RR sours, but still not bad. price was $22 a bomber (Batch 3) which is much lower than prices for others.

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

Appearance: Dark burgundy color the head is bubbly and quickly dissipates, lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Smells of oak, red wine, barnyard, lots of funk, and berries or in this case currants.

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated medium body. Feels very similar to a sparkling wine or champagne.

Taste: Very complex, this beer tastes great it gives off lots of tannins. The taste of Cabernet Sauvignon is very prevalent in this beer.

Drinkability: Highly drinkable. This beer is sour but not extremely sour, the 10% ABV had me apprehensive on how this beer would taste but this is as drinkable, and perhaps even more so than the Supplication.

Overall: The best wild ale/sour I have ever tasted.

4.1/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Clear medium-brown with red overtones. Reminiscent of strong tea.. Light beige head that quickly dissipated.

Smell: Smells of slight musk, grapefruit and oak.

Taste: Citrus fruit-like tastes come through along with some oak and slight funk. I also get a slight bitterness I'm guessing is from the roasted malts. I get the flavors first then the sour follows. Sour grapefruit aftertaste.

Mouth-feel: Fairly full bodied for the style with modest carbonation.

Drink-ability: The flavors and body belie the fact it's 10% ABV

One of my go to Sours that I'm finally reviewing.

4.3/5  rDev -4.4%

Batch 001x1. Bottled 12/24/2008. Glazed brick red with an orange juice infusion and polished persimmon highlights. The khaki colored crown is crackly and unsticky, which is frequently the case with barrel-aged ale that is also hop-deficient. Despite a spic-n-span chalice, the liquid itself is a lovely hue.

It's difficult to appreciate the BSDA-like qualities or the currants. On second sniff, dark malts and medium-dark fruit isn't quite buried beneath the bugs... which include two yeasts (Abbey Ale and Brettanomyces) as well as two bacteria (Lactobacillus and Pediococcus). American wild ale is the perfect style choice according to the nose.

Consecration comes through where it matters most and is yet another inspired creation from the mind and hands of Mr. Cilurzo. Whatever complexity was lacking in the nose has been found on the palate. Truthfully, the aroma is improving by leaps and bounds as time goes by.

The best thing is that the base BSDA does a wonderful job sticking up for itself under the onslaught of tangy funkitude from the wee critters. There are fig and tobacco qualities that supercede the currants. Breadth, depth and complexity is a hallmark of Russian River beer. Alcohol masking is ridiculously seamless.

This already amazing ale might have been even better with more malt and darker malts. In other words, a funk-accented BSDA rather than a BSDA-accented American wild ale. Yeah, that's probably nothing more than my style preferences talking. It's impossible to argue with what has soaked into my taste buds so far.

The mouthfeel has almost certainly taken a hit in the more than two years since bottling. That said, it manages a hint of viscosity in the second half of each mouthful. Lush and creamy and expansive isn't in the cards at this point... if it was ever present.

Consecration (noun): the act of dedication to the worship and service of a deity. It would be blasphemy to suggest that Vinnie is a deity, so how about craft brewing god? Bottom line: this outstanding elixir is another in a long line of outstanding -tion beer from one of the best breweries in this, or any, country.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I've been waiting on this one for a while. From the same BA trade that got me the Lost Abbey Witches Wit, as well as the Lost Abbey Cuvee De Tomme that I'm sitting on even longer. It's been sitting in the fridge for about six weeks, and I can't wait any longer. Away we go!

Dark plum-red coloration, with no head at all, starts slightly fizzy, then quits quickly.

Aroma: ah, that's the stuff, there's the brett, that funky wild wicked twisted sour and sassy wine-ish nose. Currants are doing plenty of work here, too, it's fresh with the fruit. Lovely, lovely stuff.

Tasting it: Whoa! Grabs the tongue and pins it down. Puckeration all the way, in this. Does not relent with the intense tartness. Fruit flavor gives some relief, squeezing in between the huge tart bite.

Another sip, another gulp, and in rushes cherries, blackberries, grapes, some sweet, and then sour. grips the tongue, spanks it a bit, slathers it up and down with funk and sour. Luxurious, relaxing, lush and wonderful.

Halfway in, it's getting deep, plummier, richer...moreover. I'm more impressed-er, for sure. Deeee-licious. Mmmm. Mmm. Mm. M.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company