Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,382
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -6.9%

Batch 002x3

Had a sample of this at Night of the Barrels and really liked it, so thanks to msulinski for sending me a bottle.

Pours a dark, red grape-skin color with an off-white head that slowly falls apart into a thin ring around the edges of the glass. Light lacing.

Grapes, vinegar and dark fruits make up the majority of the nose. Somewhat acidic with a light alcohol aroma. Little bit of funk.

The flavor consists of sharp, slightly acidic, tart red grapes, chewy currants, bits of raisin and vanilla. Some warming alcohol and woodiness from the barrels comes through a bit. Nice tartness mixed with a small amount of cherry and plum.

Mouthfeel is carbonated well, maybe a little more than I would like and leads to a little bit of foaminess. Warming alcohol and a bit of mouth puckering tartness.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is a big beer at 10% and with 1 year of cellaring it has some sharpness to it. Definitely a sipper, but decently complex and enjoyable to drink.

Overall, this is another winner from Russian River, but maybe not quite on par with Supplication. I remember the sample I had on tap being smoother and a bit fruitier, but that could be due to the fact that this bottle has been aging for about a year. All in all though, this is a tasty beer and one that I hope to have again in the future. Looking forward to trying more Russian River sours.

sisuspeed, Apr 25, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -15.8%

Again, thanks to mrstevens for breaking this one out yesterday. Poured into my CCB snifter.

A: A murky sienna color. The pour dropped a nickel of foamy white head that faded rather quickly and didn't leave much lace.

A: Sour dark fruits, and notes of wood. Red grapes, apples, red wine, and oak. I get a bunch of sour notes, that warn me of what's to come.

T: Yup, this one's sour. Probably the sourest of wilds I have yet to try. More wine and woody oak. Sour dark fruits, cherry, blackberries, apples, and barnyard funk. Finishes rather dry and tart.

M: Medium body, high levels of carbonation. This one has a bit of a bite to it.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is somewhat lower. This one is extremely sour. Overall, I had this one back to back with Supplication, and let me tell you, it dosen't hold a candle. It is a little too sour for my taste, and the oak and wine barrels, while good, didn't do it for me in this brew. I liked it, just didn't love it. Skal.

Gtreid, Apr 25, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Poured a clear dark amber color with some redness and brown hues about it. Served with no head present and minimal amount of faint spotty lacing. Nose is funky with oak and woodsy characteristics. Alcohol and Brett are apparent. Dry fruit smells riddled with alcohol. Taste is puckering with sourness and alcohol right upfront playing a lead role. Quite drying and tart. Flavors of dark skinned fruit come through as it warms...and warms it does as the alcohol in this beer is there in both warmth and taste. The woodsy flavors mesh favorably with the alcohol. Lingering tartness is left in the mouth that is puckering enough to make you go back in for continuous repetitive sips. Light feel and highly carbed this was one very enjoyable experience.

stakem, Apr 20, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +3.6%

Wonderful beer that comes out in a dark purple haze color. The head fades away fast, but leaves a light ring around the edge of the glass. Not a strong nose, but certainly got a little sour fruit (cherries and grapes). The bright taste with the sour finish was wonderful. It was not overpowering, but just perfect in finish. And the flavor kept on for a long time after, causing me to buy another 2. One for aging.

Served in a snifter.

Jessee, Apr 18, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -0.9%

Pours a hazy brown with hints of golden yellow... Nice white bubbles don't quite form a head, but a whispy ring around the edges. Very little lace-- but you see the legs on a good swirl.

I smell dark cherry and fig and some toasty woodiness... Smells a little funky sourness.

Tastes very nice with notes that follow nose... Very nice. Pleasant sourness on the finish.

Nice mouthfeel with plenty of carbonation-- this thing is little heftier than the supplication, not quite as drinkable, but
still scores highly.

AleWatcher, Apr 16, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

punkindrublic50, Apr 14, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +2%

Bottle@Omhpers place. Thanks for cracking this beauty open for our tasting!

A: Red-brownish with a generous, foamy, head.

S: Cherries, Funk, Malt, Wood. Quite lovely.

T: Malt, Cherries, Currant, Wood, Hint of Vanilla, Hint of fruit.

M: Wonderfully balanced with just enough funk for my taste. Insanely drinkable and the 10% abv is nowhere to be found. Has a very fresh feeling to it.

This is a very impressive american sour. It is easy to understand the high ratings. Awesome.

baggio, Apr 08, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003x1

A - Poured into my NB tulip glass. Dark amber/brown in color. The head fades quickly with a pool of carbonation forming in the center, bubbling for the duration of the drink

S - Sharp oak smell with hints of the currants present

T - A very sharp, sour initial taste. Currants, grapes, and oak taste on the back end once the sour fades.

M - Completely amazing. Resonates throughout the mouth, touching every spot long after swallowing. Your taste buds literally pulsate for a few seconds after a good swirl.

D - Better with every sip. For a sour it goes down well and does not fade, opening up as it gets warmer.

ebin6, Apr 05, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +8.7%

Excited to finally try this one... I've had this aging for about a year.

This is a corked 750 mL bottle poured into a large snifter. A dark translucent ruby red color, initially very fizzy and well carbonated with around an inch of head. The head dissipates fairly quickly.

Smell is a sour and tart mix of cranberries, cherries, roses, and lemon.

A really powerful taste in this one. Cranberries and lemon are the dominant flavors to me, but also has some smoky flavors, rose petals, currants, wine, and vinegar-like acids. Alcohol blends in so well here it is very easy to drink.

Mouthfeel is very fizzy and well carbonated. Awesome drinkability.

This had a lot of hype around it and lived up to my expectations. Delicious and interesting.

webmanspidey, Apr 05, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6%

Red-brown colored body with minimal carbonation that only is around the edge of the glass.

Smells of dark red fruits, and sour at that. Cherries and I think currant, maybe grapes.

Sour, as I guess it's supposed to be. Sour cherries and apples battle back and forth on my tongue. There's a touch of cedar in the aftertaste. I'm thinking that it's supposed to be oak, but it's more like cedar to me.

Mouthfeel is, um, sour. Pucker up. The texture and carbonation are thin, like champagne.

I enjoyed this beer quite a bit and even my wife appreciated it, but it was a little too sour for my liking. I definitely recommend it and would have it again, though. It's just one that I'd only have a single glass of at the end of the night.

Vonerichs, Mar 31, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -6.5%

from notes...

Batch 003x1

Poured into a snifter. WHOA! The carbonation in this beer is the most I've ever seen. The pour didn't leave much head, but the bubbles rapidly rose from the bottom to the top for the duration of it's time spent in my glass.

Oak, dark wine, and grape is all I'm getting from the aroma.

Taste was pretty sour. Definitely pick up the Cabernet and oak. With that I pick up some dark berries. I also got some malt action which complimented the those dark fruits very nicely.

The mouthfeel was fairly dry and tingly from the carbonation.

Overall this was a pretty solid beer. I found it to be similar to others in the Russian River line (Supplication & Damnation) in that it reminded me of a beer/champagne and wine all wrapped up into one. Very complex. I hope to visit this again when my palate has become more developed.

pwoody11, Mar 29, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -8.7%

This was the first sour I have tasted and I was surprised with the taste. I bought this beer with huge expectations and I was not disappointed. When I poured into my glass it was a dark brown color with a very thin head, which I was not expecting. Since it is a sour I was expecting a lighter color, because I was picturing a lemon shot or something.

When I smelled this beer it smelled like a floral bouquet. I kept telling my wife to smell it because it smelled so good.

Then when I drank it felt like I was drinking wine and not beer. So I tried it again and I was shocked that this is called a beer.

Overall this is a good beer that s very drinkable even though it is at 10% ABV. If you have friends that are wine drinkers you need to have them try this, they will love it.

TKEAnimal, Mar 29, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this at Monk's cafe in Philly. Poured into a chalice, beautiful dark amber brown with great cream colored head, great retention and lacing. Medium carbonation. Smell was earthy and sweet, then bitter. Taste started out momentarilly fruity and sweet then going to incredibly dry and bitter from the currants and barrel aging. Very complex, hard to drink in quantity but paired well with a steak and was able to finish it quite easily and was left wanting more by the end. Very good.

stingrayvr6, Mar 29, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -5.3%

Have had this multiple times and finally getting around to it from notes:

On tap at the brewpub on 6/30/09. Poured a beautiful dark burgundy with a cream head. Mild aroma with hints of berries. There is a mild sweet flavor, but ultimately the brett and sour currants take over. This has great flavor, with touches of sweetness, then a very well balanced bitter finish. The hype is worth it.

ChrisPro, Mar 29, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Wow what a great beer I can't mark it perfect but this one is really awesome. As my wife had most of this I just kept repeating "can you believe this is beer?" I really felt like this was more of a wine then a beer based on taste and appearance, but it is a beer and it is awesome. A must have, wish I lived in california to have regualr access to russian river they are great as is their brews.

Loved this can't wait to have more !!!

Casey10, Mar 28, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, corked and caged...batch #2, into a Chimay challice at a local restaurant. Pours a dark, deep red...crimson like, with a decent size off-white head that dissapates quickly. Appears to be a lot of carbonation still in this one, appearance is hazy...but can see fizzy bubbles constantly surfacing.

Great funky aroma! Definitely smells sour/Brett characteristics. There's also a solid sweet currant, and oaky aroma. Booze is a non-aroma-factor.

Wow! GREAT flavor. This is an incredible sour(American Wild Ale). While there's a definite sourness from the Brett/and resembling the sourness of cherries...or currants...there's a HUGE complimenting sweetness coming through from the fruit. A great combination for sure! Bottle say aged in Carbernet barrels; this is evident in the dry finish...but not too dry as to hurt the experience.

This is a solid beer! High carbonation, medium mouthfeel, funky and sweet flavor, LONG lasting sweet aftertaste...with a competing sourness! Drinkability is excelent. I finished the entire bottle in about an hour, and of course, as it warms to room temp, it's still AS enjoyable as the first pour/sip. GREAT beer!

ShadesOfGray, Mar 27, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Had this on tap at Pi Bar for Russian River night during SF Beer week.
Consecration- Barrel aged sour ale with currants added & 10%. One of my all time favorite sours. It poured ruby red. It smelled of sour cherries, oak and funk. It tasted like dried currants, sour pucker, oak, wood and cabernet. Very wine like and tasty.
This is one of my all time favorite beers.

femALEist, Mar 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +0.2%

Mahogany pour with a ruby highlight and a short lived, fizzy, off white head. Deep oaky aroma with a strong tartness, sweet rich molasses, and strong aromatic black currants. Rich buttery charred oak flavor with some sweet molasses and caramel in the middle and finishes with black pepper, vinous black currant and a strong lactic sour bite. Dry medium body with loads of carbonation.

punkrkr27, Mar 23, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -2.4%

This was my very first "sour ale":

Menu says American wild ale with currants and aged in oak barrels.

A- dark red-brown. no head. decent carbonation.

S- cherries. sourness. clear hints of pinot nior wine. oak aromas.

T- Really dry. Almost tastes like a glass of wine. Can definitely taste the wine notes from the barrel. cherries/grapes/currants. Very tart and sour. No traditional beer flavors present.

M- nice texture. definitely bites back with dryness. nice carbonation. tart, but refreshing. also has a bit of alcohol bite.

D- Tasty and refreshing, but ABV makes it a bit difficult to have more than one...

Awesome, but definitely an acquired taste. My wife liked it, but one of the other wives hated it. Hop heads might not like it.

gpioski, Mar 23, 2010
4.48/5  rDev -0.2%

On-tap, served in a flute

Arrived at my table with an almost completely faded yellow head that fell to just a thin layer of foam and left some stray lines here and there. The body sat a translucent, dark mahogany and had streams of bubbles moving swiftly to the top of the glass.

The aroma is lacking a little punch. Oak and caramel with balsamic notes dominating. Some dark fruit skins are apparent, but lay low, along with some old leather.

The fruit comes out to play much more so on the flavor, balancing out the acidic, tart, balsamic flavor. Dark cherries, red and green grape skins along with oak woodiness and a finish of dry tobacco. The flavor profile reminds me a lot of red wine. Deep, vinous fruits, tart and a dry, tobacco/leather finish.

The alcohol is well buried here. Light to medium body with prickly carbonation and a light, crisp, dry finish. I liked how the finish was more fruit and leather than balsamic.

For the style, I found this to be amazingly drinkable. The tartness never overwhelmed, and the dark vinous qualities were able to shine through, bringing a welcome balance.

ColForbinBC, Mar 22, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 001X2 750ml bottle into a big tulip twice watching the Breaking Bad premiere. Bottle date is 12/26/08 so this is at about 15 months in the bottle. Review #600. I reviewed this off tap but wanted to get a bottle version in.

Dark dried blood brown out of the bottle, once layered in the glass, Consecration casts a deep dark mahagony brown and appears ruby red mixed with iced tea brown. Champagne like medium tan loose bubbled foam rose up buzzing with vigor yet it dwindles quickly with the same amount of vigor. No lacing from this, which I always get off the tap.

The smell on this is heaven, 15 months worked out the kinks and this is exibiting true integration with the fruit, yeast, malt and wild bug additions. The currants while faded are still a pleasure to sniff while it's backed by some Belgian abbey yeast. Chocolate from the malts which are just coming out and a certain kind of funkiness on the light side.

Bang, zoom, to the moon, this is where it's at. Up front sqeezed currant juice mixed in with some sweet malt and accidity on the tounge. Tastes of chocolate, figs, tobacco and some wild yeaat playing nice with with the Sauvignon taste, which is marvelous and my second favorite wine barrel beer behind Temptation. The wine influence just builds with time and with the 15 months on this bottle, the wine has taken front stage with the currants fading. A funky Wine beer with fruit influence in the back, I like it.

Pretty tame on the mouth when cold out of the bottle or tap for that matter but overall this is acidic, funky, mildly tart and fruity. A nice step above medium with perfect carb thats crisp at times, non existant at times, and a beast at times with sharp pricks to the tounge depending on temp and what portion of the bottle your drinking. At times my mouth got hot for a few seconds but that's it. Towards the end of the bottle the dregs kind of muted the acidic nature of Conse. A lot of variations on feel of this beer and I think Batch one is perfect, or near perfect.

Try to drink a aged bottle of this to yourself sometime, it's a treat and goes through many changes over three hours. The wine is huge, the funk is light, the fruit is fading but still large. This got me a pretty tipsy. I'm feeling this 10 percent, this is drinkable, but it will do damage, I can't wait for the smaller bottles. I plan to drink the rest of my batch 1 bottles in another 15 to see where this goes.

BARFLYB, Mar 22, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The third RR beer I tried at TJs in PA yesterday. Could this day get any better? Another awesome wild ale. Served in the same glass as Supplication, oversized flute like shape. Comes out with a dark red-brown color which light can get through, not much. The head and cloud are missing but I have never really seen a wild ale with one. The ring around the edge leaves sticky suds behind but no real lacing. The smell is a very nice blend of oak wood and sour lambic. Some dark toasty/caramel malt shines through leaving me with a very interesting beer ahead of me. The taste comes down to sour fruit, oak and brown ale malt hints to me, in a very nice way. The sour and barrel wood notes compliment each other very well and the brown ale malts help back up the sour nicely. Not very complex to me but very cool and creative. Mouthfeel is nice. Moderate body with moderate carbonation and good cream. Not as solid as Supplication but still very nice. A coat of sour oak and malt is left on the tongue. This one gets very sour to me after a while, one glass is the perfect quantity for this great beer. The price was awesome and so wasn't the flavor. RR is great to me so far.

cbutova, Mar 22, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +9.8%

Picked up a bottle of this on a recent trip out to the RR brewpub in Santa Rosa. $22/bottle, but after trying a few glasses of the stuff at the pub I knew it was well worth the price.
I poured it into my Russian River goblet and was greeted by the tangy smell of Brett and the other wild yeast that Russian river uses to make their sours pack the punch they do. The color is deep, deep red, almost purple. Aromas of sour fruit, currents mainly, waft from the glass. The taste is just as lively and tangy as the smell, perhaps even more so. There's also a good deal of wine flavors here, in addition to the yeast and fruit elements. Surprisingly drinkable for a ten percent beer. This was the beer that made me fall in love with sours, and every time I drink it the moth puckering sensation reminds me of why I will never look at beer the same way again. This is an absolute must for sour fans, and highly, highly recommended for adventurous souls looking to break away from the usual.

IrieJackalope, Mar 21, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +5.8%

Appearance: A loud pop as it's uncorked. Pours into a Brooklyn tulip as if it's quite alive, with about two fingers of very volatile and quickly dissipating head. Heavy soda-like carbonation is evident from the bubbles, and is, I'm certain, the only reason there's any bubbles around the edge of the glass, and in fact, across the top of the glass. I'm curious to see how this one will hold up after sitting out for a bit--right now it seems to be something to be contended with. The color itself is almost mahogany, but it's slightly closer to brown tones than red ones. The brew is dark, but clear--just hard to see through because of the depth of tone. How fascinating.

Smell: As I've been writing the appearance notes, the smell has diffused into the rest of the room and I can smell it from several feet away. Smells amazing--sweet and sour all at once, and particularly reminiscent of sour power on sour skittles (down to the little bit of sugar that is throw into that mix). White vinegar notes are also heavily present, and quite mouth-watering, as well as sweet and sour cherries, slight red wine, and balsamic vinaigrette. Below the surface are slight leather and tobacco notes, as well as a bit of oak. Slight chives in the smell.

Taste: Excellent sour taste that manages to blend in wonderful vinegar notes without being overwhelming and tasting like straight white vinegar (though I don't necessarily mind those, either...). A lot of dark and earthy notes--bitter tobacco, leather, earth, and oak--are nicely blended in, and I'm getting a lot more fruit out of it than i did in the nose--sweet and sour cherries, grapes, raisins, bitter cranberries. A LOT of red wine notes in this one--which I suppose makes sense given the barrels. Slight bitter aftertaste that makes the darker notes and red wine stand out as more prominent. I don't want to understate the sour notes, as they're definitely there, but this is so extremely well-crafted that the complexity and depth of the other notes is almost surprising. Gets sweeter as it warms. Wonderful.

Mouthfeel: Mouthfeel is very nice. The intense, soda-like bubbles mentioned in the appearance are not nearly as daunting as they appeared. It's nearly perfectly--if not undercarbonated. Slight very pleasant aftertaste as described above. Light to medium bodied and goes down smoothly and quickly.

Drinkability: Drinkability is extremely excellent given the 10% ABV. Extremely well crafted and delicious, and the alcohol is not at all apparent.

afausser, Mar 20, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -7.6%

A - A fluffy head with large bubbles fades quickly. Foggy crimson color with some darker highlights.

S - The aroma has all the complexity of a Belgian sour along with a decent malt nose. The cab sav and currants blend perfectly to add to the complexity.

T - Great interplay of sour and malt characteristics. Tart as a Rodenbach Grand Cru, but leaves you with a sweet aftertaste with still being dry somehow. Tartness and bubbly carbonation reminiscent of champagne. Subtle oak rounds out the flavor.

M/D - Dry and sticky. Fills out the mouth then washes it clean. Overall, an absolutely fantastic beer! Different aspects of this beer seem to contradict one another, but somehow combines to make one intricate beer.

SirSketch, Mar 16, 2010