1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,148 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
Doc_Hops

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A- Consecration pours a gorgeous, deep, ruby red. The head is a slightly tan color but it goes away just as quickly as its poured.

S- Just like its counterpart, Supplication, the wine barrel aging plays a big roll in the smell. Dark, rich, wine notes come through first giving way to the currents added to the mix.

T- Wow. Incredibly sour yet a bit of sweet mellowing on the back end. What a dry taste as well. Cherries, currents, and event an interesting malty sweetness going on.

M- Absolutely no head yet an interesting, effervescent feel to it. Fuller bodied than Supplication yet just as easily drinkable. Still can't get over how dry it is as well. It's in perfect balance.

O- Wonderful beer. Incredibly complex and balanced. So much going on here and yet so simple. Hard to describe but very easy to enjoy...and has an incredible kick at 10.00%... For a wild, I'll take it!.

Serving Type- 12oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Thanks for reading.

05-08-2013 04:48:47 | More by Doc_Hops
hopoilcrazy

Tennessee

4.24/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Another bottle popped at Yazoo's Embrace the Funk Fest

Great Tawny Port color and nice lacing from a thin cap of head

The aroma of this sour is out of control: tobacco, catty, ashy, faint vanilla, dark fruit, red grape, apple skin, slightly buttery - every bacteria listed on the bottle is represented here.

The flavor is great and balanced with a surprisingly mild tang. I was expecting a wallop, but it is mild and restrained...even a little subtle. Cookie spiciness, leather, acetobacter?? Very dry finish with no residual sugar to fuck everything up

The mouthfeel is vibrant and lively carbonated. Feels great on the tongue.

Thanks to ETF Fest for this sample!

05-05-2013 23:11:37 | More by hopoilcrazy
Stevedore

Wisconsin

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%

375cc cork and caged bottle, batch 004x1, poured into a Russian River snifter at cellar temperature and quaffed today, 5/4/2013

Aroma: Punched in the face with sourness. Tart cherries, raspberry and blackberry all jammed together. A lot of it reminds me of a good red wine (I assume Cabernet) that's gone sour. And definitely sour grapes, vinegar with a touch of earthiness. That part is like being in a barn, but subdued. I'm thinking that's the Brett funk. Full bodied nose for sure. (4)

Colour: Pours a very dark, opaque reddish brown body with minimal head, though one gets mesermized looking at the film on the surface that's got tons of tiny bubbling and bubbling in spots. It's really cool. The collar is actually quite thick, dense and white. The lacing is superbly thick like the collar, but quickly falls back into the collar. Otherwise, a tasty appearing dark ale. (4)

Flavour: Damn! This is why I love wild ales. Refreshing quantities of tart dark fruits- cherry, raspberry, blackberry, plus some honey and a good bit of the underlying brown ale malts. A good bit of vinegar hits in the middle of the experience, which rather accentuates the sweet and sour clash here. There's even a little bit of oakiness and smokiness in the finish. Overall a very complex, tasty blend of sweet fruits and malt, sourness and even more sour funkiness accentuated by some earthy oak. Truly a pleasure to quaff. (4.75)

Mouthfeel: Thinner medium bodied brew with excellent, and I truly mean excellent carbonation. It fizzes all over my mouth, coating my palate with pure sourness and earthy funk. It truly feels like a thicker, sour wine yet it brings more to the table than a merlot that's been sitting out for too long. The carbonation is fantastic and the finish is stunningly fizzly and clean yet it leaves my palate with a nice oaky, earthy aftertaste that I savor. There is absolutely no indication that this beer is a 10%. None. It's almost perfect. (4.5)

Overall: Another awesome AWA by Russian River. It's definitely a beer that any wine lover would enjoy, and absolutely a beer that any sour lover will love. It borrows a lot of characteristics of the used Cabernet barrels, but the base malt really makes itself known amidst all the sour, dark-fruity and earthy funkiness. There's a lot going on here that comes together very well, and it's truly an excellent bottle of beer to drink. (4.5)

05-05-2013 19:18:36 | More by Stevedore
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Yet another Russian River beer using Brett. Ugh. I HATE Brett. Of course, the last Russian River beer we drank, also a sour beer, that used Brett was amazing. I hope this one is, too. Sheryl asked me what Brett was. For those of you that don't know, Brettanomyces is a wild yeast strain that is known for having earthy flavors. Think about a barnyard… now lick the ground. That is what that yeast strain is famous for. Some like it… I don't.

Today's beer is aged in red wine barrels, specifically cabernet sauvignon barrels. Not a big wine guy, but know enough about the stuff to recall the flavor of the stuff. Hopefully some of those notes carry over here, too. I like sour beers, and I hope this one delivers. After this bottle, only one more Russian River beer on the list!

In the Glass: It almost looks like Diet Coke in the glass. It is thin, near black, and leaves a very thin white head. No lace to speak of, and the bubbles are so tight that you would think this is soda. I like Diet Coke, so maybe I will like this beer. I actually hope I like this beer, as the typical breadwinners for them aren't that impressive.

Nose: I could smell this as I was pouring it, and all I could smell was sour notes. When smelling the beer itself, it has some dirty/earthy flavors, but I guarantee that is from the yeast. The sour is obvious, but not overwhelming. It smells good. Speaking of smelling good, I REALLY want to start a company making scented candles. They would all smell like beer! Imagine coming home to a house smelling like your favorite IPA! That, or I could just sprinkle hope around the house. Either way!

Flavor: Based on what I was smelling, I didn't expect it to be this sour. But the sourness keeps coming until you swallow. It's a bit too cold, but the sourness is pretty intense. If you don't like sour beers, BEWARE! This is candy tart and leaves a lingering finish that is, with each swallow, just as tart. I like it!!!

I am getting some of those wine barrel notes toward the end. I am sure that some of that are the currants used in the brewing process, but some of those full-bodied characteristics that I expect when drinking a glass of red wine are shining through. It says on the bottle, "4 to 8 months" in regards to the time spent in the barrels. I wonder how the brewmaster decides just how long to age each batch.

Mouthfeel: The first half of the palate is bored, but when the sour flavors start to kick in toward the back of the palate, things begin to get interesting. As this beer is heating up, the sour is starting to become lip sucking sour; almost too much to bear. This is NOT a beer that you will drink more than 1 or 2 of in one sitting. The ABV, coming in at 10.5%, is hidden, so even if you could drink a lot of this, you wouldn't be able to!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste hangs around for a few minutes, and for the first handful of sips, remains quite sour. I would love to give a sip of this to someone that never drinks craft beer just to see his or her reaction. Tom, a buddy from Old Town, is starting to get into craft beer. I bet he would like this offering.

That is two Brett beers in a row that I have enjoyed. Maybe my palate is coming along. Speaking of Brett, I am texting Jazz, a beer nut from Total Wine, and he is sitting at World Of Beer. He goes to ASU and it's close… forgive him. He said someone just turned in an appellation and said her favorite beer was Blue Moon. Ha! I laughed.

Anyway, well done Russian River. You have outdone yourself yet again. We need to plan a trip to California so we can start visiting some of these brewing companies. Cheers!

04-29-2013 22:28:30 | More by rickyleepotts
kawilliams81

Yukon (Canada)

4.39/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Batch 005X1F. Poured from a 375 ml cork n caged bottle into a La Chouffe tulip.

A- Pours a dark copper, ruby color with a 2 finger tan head. Lots of bubble coming to the surface with minimal lacing.

S- Honey, dark fruits (blackberries, cranberries, raspberries), vinegar, straw

T- Caramel, toasted malts, vinegar, sour dark fruits, oak, spices and light pepper.

M- Medium body and high carbonation. Effervescent, acidic, and some dryness at the finish.

O- 7/10 sourness. Another good sour from RR. Light sweetness, with vinegar and dark fruits make this a well balanced sour. I would take Supplication over this but this is still close.

04-23-2013 02:31:38 | More by kawilliams81
magictacosinus

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excited to finally try this. Bottling date is "01/31/13," and was consumed today. Batch number is unknown. Poured out of a 375ml bottle into a teku glass.

Pours a surprisingly brownish-amber color that is coated with lightly tinged reddish tones, to the say the very least. The colors seem to be interchangeable depending if it's in the light or not, but it's exactly what I'd expect given the base beer and Cabernet barrels used (as well as the currants). Carbonation is lively depending highly on the pour, but in my case I got about a tiny, modest coat of white head that quickly dissipated and left behind streaks of bubbles underneath. In fact, when extra yeast was added, such bubbles would actually rise to the top and pop! It's clear and viscous like wine or any great Lambic I've had in the past, and is very hazy from the start. Looks very unique, and very intriguing.

The aroma is pretty ridiculous, however, and given that this is a pretty wild recipe to begin with, I can't say I'm surprised what I got myself into. At the front there's an instant charge of mustiness combined with soured, almost pickled fruitiness, consisting of apricots, oranges, sour grapes, lemon, and lots of upfront, jubilant phenols. The currants are definitely doing their job here, although it's pretty subtle, just like the Cabernet vinous phenols are. Lots of oak charges up the nostrils, combined with a lot of funk and stinging sensations caused by all the wild yeasts in this. The Brett is obvious, but the Pediococcus is really sharp here, no doubt due to the wood and wine texture underlying the beer base. Really unique and fascinating, but totally intense.

Wow, the flavor is really something else, not just in the realm of sours, but RR beers as well. There's an instant, overflowing sour sharpness that takes over the palate, and coats it with all kinds of fruity esters, ranging from cherries to berries to apple tart to apricots to acidic sweet grapes... And on and on and on. Absolutely juicy tasting, but it does eventually fade and get melded with grape must and sour bacteria-induced woodiness, and then finishes with a brown ale flavor that is crisp but definitely not as over-the-top as the initial rush. Huge vinegar notes too. The bacteria strains are doing something phenomenal here... But I also have to credit the Cabernet must and white oak for rounding up the flavor to something more complex. The currants don't seem to be very present, but I think they did a good enough job. The oak, in fact, adds this vibrant texture that is very tannic and tea-like, almost to the point where my friend who I split this with told me it reminded her of kombucha. With the yeasty funk and tartness, I can totally see that. Alcohol is scarily hidden at 10%. Refreshing, and crisp to drink. The acidity never becomes grating, although the wood does get overly astringent. Wild and rustic as any beer in this style should be. NOTE: I highly recommend not pouring the dregs into this. The Lactobacillus in particular puckers up the joint in an acidic manner that is interesting but mutes a lot of the subtle nuances.

Wow! This definitely is very different from other sours I've had, and is a totally different beast compared to Supplication, for instance. There's less focus on fruit or tart and lot more on grape must, oak melding properties, and bacterial funk. Not my favorite, but really refined and perhaps unlike any American Wild Ale in the country. I will be sure to save another one of these for a special occasion. It's not as accessible, and definitely for wine fans (such as myself) and of the strange and sour stuff, but it's definitely a must for people looking to get into more ambitious beer styles. World class stuff, in my view.

04-21-2013 22:08:59 | More by magictacosinus
Hendry

Vermont

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was part of a tasting, and my friend who saved the bottle along with some Pliny, treated me to some of the finest beers I have ever tried.

Okay, this one was a bit over my head as it is true connoisseur Ale, but it was an amazing tasting. Deep ruby red color, strong aroma of stone fruits,nicely effervescent and really wakes up your palate with a tremendous currant flavor that is incredibly tasty, with a nice dry finish.
There is a delectable tartness that is unique to this Wild Ale.

Thanks to great beer friends that appreciate sharing with others!

04-09-2013 03:04:07 | More by Hendry
Axnjxn

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ML corked bottle poured into a snifter glass. 01/31/13 bottling date

Pours a gorgeous copper red color with a ton of bubbles, but the head is not out of control like you would expect from the amount of carbonation. Thousands of tiny white bubbles shoot from the bottom of the glass up towards the top, quite a sight to behold. Just about the perfect looking beer. Aroma is out of this world. Its got sweet cherries and grapes that you can smell from feet away. Taste is so tart, i love it! Sour raspberries, cherries, grapes dominate the palate here. I cannot believe this is 10%ABV, i'm blown away. A lingering tartness on the tongue after you swallow allows you to enjoy the flavor for quite some time. High carbonation, medium bodied. Goes down smooth and leaves you desiring to have another sip right away.

Overall we have a world class beer right here. Russian River really knows what theyre doing and may hold the top spot as best brewery in the world with so many quality offerings. I return to this beer again and again.

04-04-2013 21:31:40 | More by Axnjxn
dwagner003

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap, out of bottles fresh and out of bottles with 8-10 months of aging. On tap, which is the basis for this rating, it was one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had the pleasure of smelling/drinking.

It's a deep reddish-brown color with almost no head. As it sits, there are absolutely no bubbles on top. The smell hits you immediately and it's just unreal. It smells sour, but there is so much more in there. Wonderfully warming oaky notes with some sweetness in the background. You can smell it from across the table.

The initial taste is that of tartness, but just wait a few seconds. Your palate is bathed with this sweetness that is perfectly subtle. The oak erupts and you can taste all those years that these barrels were filled with Cabernet. I don't taste the currants exactly, but I am sure they are contributing to the subtle sweetness.

If it wasn't for my preference towards sweeter Belgian tripels, the taste would be a 5 as well. I cannot imagine many better Wild Ales than this.

This was FAR superior to the bottled versions. I'd buy bottles again, but I will always order it if it's available on tap.

04-01-2013 03:54:30 | More by dwagner003
JamesMN

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Completely opaque caramel brown color with some visible carbonation and a fizzy light tan head.

Aroma: A tart bouquet of light fruits with a hint of black cherries. There is a very slight oak presence that rounds out the aroma nicely. Something about the aroma feels reminiscent of the warmer summer months.

Taste: A very gentle sour that rewards the palate with hearty flavors of fig, apple, raisin, and black cherry that are all moderately tart. The oak character comes out near the finish and the aftertaste is both sweet and tart with a small amount of heat from the otherwise undetectable 10% ABV. The tartness is at its most aggressive at the start and becomes less and less present from the finish to the aftertaste. Quite a nice balance overall.

Mouthfeel: Lighter than medium on body possible part of an illusion created by the soda-like carbonation. However, it does have quite a smooth and easy drinkability.

Final Thoughts: This is only the third or fourth sour I've had but it was very good and easily approachable for any craft drinker. I would hazard a guess that the oak aging has really smoothed out the flavor. Would I drink it again? Yes, but it's definitely a special occasion type of beer.

03-25-2013 23:38:36 | More by JamesMN
Gameover170

Indiana

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

My second sour, this is fantastic!

Smell of cherries, raspberries, currants and spice.

Taste is delicious, fruity, sour but yet can taste the cab in the back of throat.

Mouthful is medium, lightly carbonated.

Overall, really digging sours, and this is at the top of the list of must haves

03-23-2013 00:19:50 | More by Gameover170
gcamparone

Rhode Island

4.48/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip. Acquired in a trade from chalupa_batman, thanks!

A- Pours a clear amber body with a fizzy white 2" head that rises and reduces quickly to leave zero lacing or head.

S- Smells similar to the other RR wilds, but it's a little more wine-forward. I get an acidic berry/cherry/fermented fruit aroma with leather, wood, must, and dry red wine. Some spices and vinegar are in the background. Smells awesome.

T- Quite tart with sour cherry, green apple, and woody oak notes upfront that develop into red wine (cabernet is definitely present). Red wine vinegar and musty notes are in the background. Leaves a sour taste on the palette. No booze detected.

M- Medium-light body. Medium-low carbonation.

Another world class impression of the American Wild by RR. The cabernet barrel aging really adds a whole new dimension of complexity to this beer. Well done.

03-21-2013 22:27:09 | More by gcamparone
writerLJBerg

Oregon

4.21/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle. Batch 008.

A: Cherry coloration with a very thin lacing of head. The beer is actively moving in the glass; a geyser rises from the middle and and turbulates the beer. Light legs.

N: Sour cherry, currant, powerful acids. Very vinous, plenty of wine grapes, and the oak is noticeable. Light blackberry. New leather and some funkiness.

T: Wow, lots of currants. There's a pleasant sour pie cherry in the background, and the oak and acids are moderated well. Some tangerine /lemon zest. I do get some light tobacco/leather flavors. Grapes and a little bit of raisin. Has a lot in common with the cabernet sauvignon barrel.

M: Light and very, very well carbonated. I am getting a surprising amount of alcohol, though.

O: A sterling beer that I've passed over too many times to count. While off chasing the newest sour from around the block, Consecration beckons us back to its sublime, balanced fruitiness. Delicious.

03-16-2013 22:51:21 | More by writerLJBerg
wogreen

4.84/5  rDev +8.3%

Batch 005X1E

A - reddish brown, 1st pour was very clear, though the bottom definitely had some murkiness

S - a very pungent sour smell

T - sour cherries, a hint of wine flavors. id note that i originally drank 1 from this same batch 1 year ago and the wine notes are much more pleasant and mellow than they i remember

M -tannin-like mouthfeel, tart though again mellower than i remember

O - a phenomenal sour if you like sours, a nice blend that blends the best of wines and beers

03-11-2013 23:46:07 | More by wogreen
emyers

4.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 091412. Poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear blood red with a short burst of off-white head dissipating almost immediately. No lacing.

Smell: Oak, red wine, dates. Good strong acidity to the smell. Definitely some barnyard in there as well. Very strong, delicious aroma, and stays nicely balanced.

Taste: Acidity hits right away, accompanied by red wine, oak, raisin. A little bit of subtle caramel actually sneaks in at the end, which surprised me, but adds to the complexity. The pungent tartness sticks all the way through. No alcohol presence - I had no idea this was 10% abv when I first tasted it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full-bodies as far as sours go, but still finishes very dry. Acidity clings to the palate and puckers you up as you swallow.

Overall: Phenomenal sour. Brings a strong pucker without being overwhelming. The wine barrels are very complementary to the base sour, and it results in a very complex, delicious beer.

03-09-2013 03:28:28 | More by emyers
Jimmys

4.31/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375mL bottle into tulip. bottled on 09.14.12.

A: clear. beautiful bright mahogany brown hue. slightly off-white head has fantastic retention. lacing however is non-existent.

S: lactic acid. I can feel the acid burn in my nose. impressive. lots of barn. fruity, red grapes in particular.

T: super vinous, tart, acidic. finish has plenty of unfertmented sugars that try to sweeten this massive sour bomb out, with limited success. some dark fruit flavors. little bit of ethanol. after the acid dissipates, there is a slight cereal linger, which is a little surprising seeing as the b

M: a lively carb on a medium/full body. I say medium just cause of how much it has dried out, however knocks you as a 10%'er though.

D: a nice treat of a wild here. so much acidity, the bacteria really went nuts on all this sugar producing vinous tart flavors and aromas by the boatload. would have been nice to have an aged version to do a side-by-side. maybe next time.

03-01-2013 14:39:33 | More by Jimmys
MCain04

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Acquired in a trade with WestCoastBrew2 - thanks a ton. 375ml bottle, shared with a friend, 09/14/12 bottling date, poured into a 10 oz snifter glass.

Appearance: red-brown color, opaque. lackluster 1/2 finger light tan head dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Compared to supplication, a less fruit-forward smell. Still nice presence of sour grapes and apples, a hint of red wine.

Taste: Awesome tart taste, sour grapes, granny smith apples, dry cab sauv really comes through and adds to the dryness. 10% ABV very well-hidden.

Mouthfeel: Extremely smooth and drinkable. Smooth, very nice dry finish, not cloyingly sticky.

Overall: A very different beer than supplication, which speaks to the creativeness of Russian River, in my mind. This beer highlights the balance and smooth texture of the ideal AWA and is well-complemented by cab sauv barrel aging. Equally as good, in my opinion. World-class. Enjoy whenever available.

02-23-2013 21:06:25 | More by MCain04
Braseltonage

Missouri

4.28/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Corked 375ml bottle poured into a Blvd Smokestack tulip. No date, but marked Batch 008.

A: Pours a deep ruby brown, something like dark amber maple syrup in color. Absolutely zero head, some residual rising bubbles, but no head or lace at all.

S: The cab barrel jumps to the front on the nose, leather, sour cherries. Cider vinegar, sea water. Pungency really pops as it warms.

T & M (I think it's hard yo separate them in sours): Sharp acidic punch up, buggy, funky, crazy dry. Wisps of sweet and sour fruitiness wane in and out. A dusty basement kick, like the most pungent blue cheese you've had. Really contributes to the puckering Warming up, the wine characteristics show up, oaky tannins, tobacco, hints of smoke. In a word, wild.

O: Still can't handle these all the time, but this certainly is a treat.

02-23-2013 04:00:14 | More by Braseltonage
jvillefan

4.98/5  rDev +11.4%

Batch 001

A: A dark ruby brown with a pure white head that disappeared very quickly.

S: Very sour aromas coming off. There was the aroma of grapes, sour apple, and esters.

T: Very rich grape, caramel, and apple flavors. There is a perfectly balanced sour flavor to go along with the sweetness from the other flavors.

M: Very heavy for a sour with excellent carbonation.

O: Consecration that has been aging for 5 years is the single best sour available. Better then the 6 Cantillons, Duck Duck Gooze, Cable Car, and 8 Cascade beers I've had.

02-17-2013 23:06:25 | More by jvillefan
DrinkSlurm

Connecticut

4.74/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from tap into goblet at hulmeville inn pa. Pours a ruby brown with ever so slight rim of thin foam. Awesome funky wine barrel oak and currant aromas. Taste is pefect tart cherry and currant with perfect funky oak barrel. Some hints of wine but is so smooth from the oak. Its nearly perfect in every way...
I was so pumped to have this...way more than worth it!

02-13-2013 21:08:05 | More by DrinkSlurm
Pinknuggets

4.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottle to Ommegang flute

A: dark dark red to brown colored with almost no head and a thin white to gray lacing. This stuff is dark but looks clean despite being completely opaque, the fruit clearly has a effect here

S: There is a slight smell of alcohol that i first detect along with the must of a cabernet barrel that is pretty powerful. I think I can smell some dark fruit in there, but its not pungent and might be a stretch. More barrel then other RR beers I've had but not much else.

T: The first thing i notice is the cabernet barrels give a lighter wine taste then the other RR sours i have had but it is there with plenty of strength and works well. I have never had currents before but you can taste the dark fruit in there as it is quite tart though it is not overwhelming. There is a little sour in there and this reminds me of fruit juice, but the sour lasts through the finish.

M: It is thin and oily but not super oily, there is a small bite from the yeast/barrels but not that much and it could be stronger. Regardless it goes down very easily considering the abv which I can't taste or feel at all. The carbonation's there though lacking as this has more of juice feel.

O: So I really liked this beers but it is not my favorite RR sour. It has some sourness and tartness but not enough imo and could do with a little more carbonation. Though that is really just nitpicking as this is a fantastic beer that I highly recommend.

02-13-2013 02:59:49 | More by Pinknuggets
Immortale25

4.35/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Dogfish signature snifter. Label says 091412.

A- Pours a rubyish light brown color with a 1/2 inch tan head that doesn't retain long at all before fizzing away to a thin ring around the edge of the glass and extremely active patterns of surface foam. Minimal lacing.

S- Moderately sour, crisp aroma with some sweetness and a hint of spice. Mainly fruit notes like cherry, red grape and, of course, currant.

T- Strong tartness, but not too strong, with a decent amount of fruit such as plum, cherry and grape juice. There's a hint of rubbery solvent but it's actually quite complimentary. Also, I couldn't really tell that this is 10% what with the burst of other intense flavors.

M- Lots of pucker and dryness. Medium carbonation with a body on the full side for the style.

O- Yeah, I definitely dig the darker sours more than the lighter ones. Probably my favorite RR sour to date.

02-11-2013 05:50:51 | More by Immortale25
tectactoe

4.2/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to GetMeAnIPA for this one... my first RR sour! Consecration pours a pretty damp and dreary copper-brown color with some very slight ruby-red highlights when held in front of a bright light. The head is a murky beige color, borderline light-tan, and dissipates quickly into thin air leaving behind only a little bit of wet legging. I'll tell you this, it's not much to look at really. Kind of dark and musty looking - I guess it fits the style. I was just expecting something a bit more vibrant. The aroma is heavy fruit; currants, grapes, cherries, mixed berries. Very tart on the nose alone. The aroma makes up for the vibrance that was lost on its appearance. Slight wet, woody smell trailing in the back somewhere, but not much (if any) funk or brett. Just straight up tart and sour fruits and vinegar.

Aaaaand the taste is an explosion on the tongue. It is the aroma in "taste" form. You get hit right up front with a strong acidity and balsamic-like vinegar character. Starts off just a bit sour, then quickly the tartness overcomes every corner of your mouth and becomes nearly pucker-inducing. Grapes, berries, plums, currants, cherries, and even a touch of apricot in the finish. Juicy, juicy, JUICY ass fruits; authentic, quenching, tart, and satisfying. I'm sure there are plenty of fruits and flavors I'm missing, as there are plenty of things I can't quite identify - but the harmony between them is pretty amazing.

About halfway through and even earlier when the beer gets warmer, the wood flavors come out - wet, damp, deep oak. Slightly musty and corky, but still, not much on the funky or barnyard side of the spectrum, which might be a good thing - I don't know if I'd want anything else distracting me from this delicious onslaught of gushing, sour fruits. Vinegar becomes even more prominent at the end in the fruity and sweet aftertaste. Alcohol? What alcohol? This beer is 10% ABV? Are you fucking kidding me? No idea how the alcohol is masked this well, but it is. Watch out, this beer will put you on your ass if you're not careful. Medium bodied, crispy and slightly dry with a heavy load of carbonation.

My first RR wild ale, and hopefully not my last. This was some seriously good shit. So satisfyingly tart, sour, and sweet with a perfect flavor profile of authentic fruits. Insanely drinkable for such a high ABV. Ridiculous.

02-07-2013 04:59:23 | More by tectactoe
Labeorphile

4.49/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into Tulip glass with a really thin head that quickly disappears. The beer is a rich amber color.

Aroma is definitely unique. You can definitely smell the sour yeast and the wine aroma from the aging, an interesting yet beautiful combination.

The taste is a bit of a shock for those not familiar with sour ales. You instantly feel the pucker and the sides of your cheeks being sucked in. This quickly fades to the dry flavor of Cabernet while the sour lingers on the palate. I like the concept, but I'm not 100% sold on the flavor. I know it is a sour ale, but the sour is a little overpowering of the really good wine backing.

The mouth feel is a little bubbly. I think this would work better with a little less carbonation.

A good beer, but not one I am inclined to drink regularly.

01-18-2013 02:46:05 | More by Labeorphile
abenf

4.46/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured out of a bottle into a wine glass. This one was bottled in September 2012.

A: Thin layer of bubbles instantly disperses. Murky dark orange color. It's pretty.

S: The first thing is wine, some acidity, a little lemon and a little cherry, the wine thing is pleasantly sweet. The sweetness and the lemon together make me think of lemonheads.

T: Not as sweet as the nose. It's bittersweet and it tastes really good. Starts off enjoyably sour, my mouth got used to it pretty quick and it turned into nice tartness with little kick of acidity at the end. I can tell there're a lot of flavors going on but I'm not discerning enough to say what they are. Overall it tasted kind of floral. One weird thing I tasted in the beginning is Worcestershire.

M: Not as smooth as I'd like. I noticed the carbonation. Not thin but I'd prefer it a little thicker than it is. I can tell that it's 10% in the back of my throat.

Overall I enjoy it. I'm fairly new to sours but this reassures me that it's a style that I reeeaally like. I really enjoy the wine character and it makes me want it to feel more velvety. This was my first Russian River and all of the hype I've read and heard seems merited to me!

01-11-2013 21:45:41 | More by abenf