Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,358
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -44.3%

cherche, Oct 23, 2013
2.55/5  rDev -43.2%

Brought this batch 005 bottle back from Colorado Summer of 2010. Allowed it to rest for a year. At last, poured into a New Belgium Globe.

Color is good - a garnet red hue that reminds me of a dark cola. Was denied any type of foam at all even though the cork popped off like a bottle of Dom. I'd prefer to see some bubbles here, but not even as much as a glass hugger. No lace of course. Really blows the appearance for me.

Some serious aromas here - it's best attribute. Red wine, dark fruits, sweet pipe tobacco, and woody. The sourness is evident, but not what I'd call inviting. The alcohol is not at all hidden. All this makes for an interesting aromatic ride.

Now for the deal breaker. RR's description of this beer does not deliver the message of "sour bomb", which it is. The sour takes over all the other components found in the aroma and shoves them out the door which is really too bad. Worst tasting brew I've had in ages.

The feel of this beer is pretty chewy, but also lacks the carbonation to balance it out.

This over-hyped concoction was a major let down for me. After wrestling this thing for several swallows of varied volume...it ended in drain pour. A good brew should not make me pucker and salivate profusely. Consecration lacks the all-important balance I search for in a good brew. Now I can say, "Been there. Done that."

DelMontiac, Jul 04, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -42.5%

Disclaimer: still not a fan of sours, but will try to keep this in mind while reviewing. Batch 005x1e
A: deep clear amber w/dark ruby highlights. Similar to the color of an old madeira. Little to no head dissipates immediately and cannot be roused back by swirling. No lacing. Served in tulip glass.
S: dark stone fruit and red wine dominate. Some funkiness and earthiness but those characteristics are not overpowering.
T: very little residual sweetness present. Mostly dry and sour. Nose carries over into the taste. Very mich like drinking a lightly carbonated tannic red wine, although the sourness is more vinegary than tannic. Some oak/vanilla noted which is a nice layer of complexity here.
M: this must be the lightest bodied 10% beer I've ever had by a mile, due to the high attenuation. Sourness lingers. more CO2 would've helped, as there is very little.
O/D: for the style, I am sure this is a great achievement. But I can't see having very much of this and would need to be in the mood for it. This probably would be a great pairing for some food/dishes, and as a component of such as well, although the cost would be prohibitive in the latter case.
I'm certain some lovers of this beer and/or sours will report this review (much like my review of thomas hardy's old ale). To these people i can only say i tried to be open-minded and enjoy having my own opinion, and that i prefer beer to wine.

MrMcGibblets, Jan 29, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -42.5%

I had a chance recently to review Russian River Brewing Consecration which the owner/operator of Yeasty Beasty in Monmouth, Or. had presented me. These are my impressions:

The bottle feels good to handle. It has a retro vibe with the neck bulging slightly in the middle. The lip of the bottle is thickened so as to accommodate the champagne-style cork made necessary, I suppose, by the in bottle fermentation. The color and labeling are not intrusive and add to the air of subdued refinement.

The first taste showed the cabernet casking strongly. So strong in fact, that I could not find the ale underneath. A second taste revealed a finely crafted, but very complex brew. One that was beyond my meager abilities to dissect. I could not pick apart the strong cabernet taste from a hint of something I am still trying to put a name to, and the ale I knew lay behind the fine carbonation. There didn’t seem to be any top hit of hops.

Beyond those criticisms, Russian River Consecration is a finely crafted brew. If you are looking for a brew to serve to a group of friends looking to have a few, this may not be it. If, however, you are looking for an immaculately-crafted beer full of surprises, then try this one.

Airliebeer, Jun 21, 2013

chim52chim, Mar 18, 2014

HitchSlap, May 22, 2014

Jeremy0682, Jan 30, 2014

MaryW, Jun 26, 2014

dheldman, Today at 06:36 PM
2.78/5  rDev -38.1%

Paid $23.99 for a 750ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Batch 001X3. Poured into a large wine glass.

Upon cracking the cage n corked bottle, the beer spilled rather quickly out of the top of the bottle. Beware to have a glass ready with this one! Perhaps it was shaken a bit as upon pouring as the head is quite small actually. Quite fizzy, this off white head dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Carbonation is quite tricky/deceiving. Color is deep ruby red. Its darkness leads to this being nearly opaque. No retention.

Smells of wild yeast funk and very fine tart cherries. Also a grape complexity added a la aging in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Mildly sweet, yet certainly much more on the sour side. Even some breadiness from the yeast.

Sour to the taste buds resulting in strong astringency. Funk, sour cherries, some grape. Not as complex as the nose. A bit too sour for my liking.

Very dry mouth, astringent. Light to medium bodied. Light carbonation. As dry as some champagne I've had, which for me, is not a positive quality I'm looking for in a beer.

ibbjamin, Apr 08, 2009
2.85/5  rDev -36.5%

Poured into my trusty Darkness snifter.

Batch 003 from a 750ml bottle.

Let me start by saying I know people go apeshit for this beer. I get that I am possibly a minority on not liking this style. The fact is, I rate a beer based on how it tastes to me. Style aside.

Pours a reddish ice tea color with a bit of off white head. Brett sour funk with a bit of vanilla note. Incredibly sour and tart. Puckering even. After I'm done praying this sip gets over with I do notice a booze bite on the backend. Overly tart and something I really don't wish to have again.

I'm getting stinkeye from the crowd on this one. Maybe rightfully so. Last I checked though I don't get mad if you dislike the ipa or stout in your glass.

TheDudeRules, May 23, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -35.9%

A- Consecration pours a gorgeous, deep, ruby red. The head is a slightly tan color but it goes away just as quickly as its poured.

S- Just like its counterpart, Supplication, the wine barrel aging plays a big roll in the smell. Dark, rich, wine notes come through first giving way to the currents added to the mix.

T- Wow. Incredibly sour yet a bit of sweet mellowing on the back end. What a dry taste as well. Cherries, currents, and event an interesting malty sweetness going on.

M- Absolutely no head yet an interesting, effervescent feel to it. Fuller bodied than Supplication yet just as easily drinkable. Still can't get over how dry it is as well. It's in perfect balance.

Ssippisam, May 24, 2014