Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,612
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,088 | Hads: 4,802
3.57/5  rDev -19%

A huge thanks goes out to MadVermin who sent this as part of our trade! Seems a little short filled unfortunately.

Appearance - Much darker than the other Russian Rivers I've had. No head or froth upon pouring at all. The carbonation is hard to judge on this. Overall, an opaque deep red and brown color. Looks quite sweet and honestly a little flat.

Smell - A little sweeter side to the traditional sour smell of Russian River beers. Some light cherry and perhaps some other fruits as well. Light lemon in the distance. Definitely a heavy oak flavor all-throughout.

Taste - Sour and tart on the front. I immediately notice the translation of light cherries from nose to mouth. A fairly heavy lemon zest throughout; while retaining a certain amount of sweet fruit.The power of the lemon, ethanol, and carbonation are perhaps a little to much and cause some sort of upset in my throat. I very oddly taste chocolate in my mouth after the finish.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - My initial response after my first drink was that this was a heavy-bodied beer. But it soon mellowed out to be pretty average-medium bodied. Sour and tart with a hint of sweetness. Heavy carbonation becomes clear upon my first drink. Slight sourness left on the lips. Nice to sip and enjoy. Ethanol is hidden quite well but stands out at times. I think I would prefer sanctification over this one.

3.57/5  rDev -19%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

375 ml bottle. Bottled on 08/11/14. Enjoyed 02/22/15. I had heard nothing besides greatness about the Russian River Brewing Company, and with an interest in sours, I knew I had to try Consecration. Ended up scouting this guy out and shelling over $16 for a 375 ml bottle! Damn! The most expensive beer I have ever purchased to date (by far!).

A: Murky/turbid due to being fermented in the bottle. Amber to slightly purple color. Very nicely carbonated. Poured pretty foamy, but the head died off rather quickly.

S: First impression was a very strong alcohol smell followed by wine/currants. Light Cabernet aroma. Surprisingly to me, this beer doesn't pack whole lot of aroma.

T: Currants, oak, and wine were the first flavors I distinguished. You can definitely tell that this is aged in Cabernet barrels. Not very sour compared to other sour beers I have had before. Not overpowering at all. Sweet, but not too much so. Dry funky flavors pull their way though--I'm thinking it's the Brettanomyces. Dry finish. Champagne-like effervescence. Tamarind notes found in the aftertaste.

M: Leaves the tongue with a tannic feel. Must be from the barrel.

O: Overall, this beer is very dry, very oaky, very wine-like, lightly acidic, with a strong alcohol taste. I hate to sound sacrilegious, but this beer really didn't do it for me. It just wasn't what I was looking for. If I really wanted all of those wine flavors, I might as well have gone with wine. I have found a few Belgian sours to be more pleasurable and interesting to me, but it is obvious that many people get very excited about this beer, so I couldn't not recommend it. At this price point though, I think I'll be holding off for a while before reevaluating this interesting creation.

3.57/5  rDev -19%

Poured into a Lost Abbey tulip, small bottle carefully poured. Shared last weekend with SundaySour.

Batch: shamefully I forgot to note; it's always important!

A: Light brown sugar with a filmy head and no lacing. A solution of brown sugar and maple syrup. Looks very scotch like! Soft dark reds and lighter shimmering shades dominate.

S: Up front cherry skins and dried gojji berries. Wood acidity is prominent, but not too invasive. Fresh split raisins in dark cane sugars, not too sweet, and featuring a rapid dryness.

T: Acidic woods, red wine vinegars, and sprits of lime juice. A light lingering lime salt flavor with white citrus connective tissues, but not quite rinds. The currents really tang the finish, and bitter in the mouth. Each sip relieves astringency with refreshing sweetness.

M: Light flat body that has all its sensations overwhelmed by tartness. Not much here, flavor sensations thwart subtle mouth feels. Fairly wet in the mouth, light aspirin comes very late; leaves a bit of a cotton mouth.

O: I've had this a few times, and this wasn't the strongest showing. I wish I had made note of the batch as it was really quite a bit more acidic than I ever had before. This was my first time out of the bottle, but even then the youth of the wood and harshness of young currents pillaged the palate. This beer is much better in different batches, but I would say that the taste character is fairly the same. There was a bit more lime/vinegar than I'd like, as the flavors are already acidic and bold enough. By no means a crap or unexciting beer, but I dreamed of acidic remedies after this one.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

375 ml Batch III poured into a snifter. "Consecration is a dark Belgian style ale aged in American oak Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Not only do we use Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, & Pediococcus, we also add currants to beer while it is aging in the barrels"

Appearance: Clear and deep rust brown with a small, dark, "soda" head that fizzed away rather early and left no lacing whatsoever. 3/5

Aroma: Fruity with strongest notes of cherries and some currants with warmth. But the aroma, in my opinion, was eclipsed by intense, one-dimensional sourness. Decidedly funky nonetheless. 3.5/5

Taste: A clean and intensely sour beer, with minor hints of the base beer. Unfortunate, in my opinion. Wood is felt, but mostly mouth puckering sour, and that's it. Well, the funk is unmistakable, but for a sour brownish ale, Supplication was definitely better. 3.5/5

Mouthfeel: Like its other brethren, medium bodied, yet quite clean with a long, oaky finish. 4.5/5

Overall, my least favorite among the bunch and only because the base beer, and fruit, seem to have lost to sourness & funk. Did too many cooks (bugs) ruin the broth? 3.5/5

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

From a bottle received in a trade.

A murky brown with shades of red results from he pour. Nothing too crazy forms on top and the result is no lace to speak of. Not a problem, though, with barrel aging and so forth. Aromas of tobacco, leather anwood dominate with maybe a hint of fruit. Taste is a pretty spot on regarding the nose and that's where it loses me. Consecration is definitely a quality brew but those tastes just aren't for me. A nice feel in the mouth with just enough carbonation to keep it lively.

Probably not something I'll come back to in the near future, but I can see the appeal and appreciate the quality that Russian River puts out.

3.58/5  rDev -18.8%

This pours out as a pretty nice wine like Amber Red color. The head vanishes quickly after the pour and just leaves a thing white film on top of the beer. The smell is super tart smelling, very acidic like vinegar. The taste is of sour cherry and stomach acid similar to a Geuze Lambic. The after taste leaves a dry mouthfeel in the back of your tongue. It makes you want another sip but since I'm not into this style too much it's almost unwanted. The mouthfeel is similar to a red wine in my opinion. It's an awesome beer for those who like the Wild Sour Ales but it's just not for me.

3.61/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks again to treyrab and cooljosh for breaking this out at the tasting on night number two of the beer extravaganza weekend. This one was from Batch 2.

A: Deep clear and crisp ruby color, very dark. Thin small wisps of bubbles move upwards for a long time, popping as soon as they hit the surface, leaving no sign that they were ever there.

S: Sour and funky, but to my utmost disappointment, I can't make out a single note, no matter how subtle, of the red wine or the currants. Chocolatey in the in the background, but I can't get past the lack of fruits, dark or otherwise, in the flavor.

T: The taste starts off as tart which then gives in to a bitter dark chocolate character. The two flavor sensations seem to clash a bit, the sour and the bitter just don't jive to well on my pallet. Currants finally manifest themselves in the aftertaste, but it seems like too little too late. There is also a touch of alcohol warmth in the finish.

M/D: Highly carbonated, this beer tickles the tongue and presents a medium thicker texture than the lighter colored wilds. The alcohol can be felt somewhat, but the sourness is very good. I just wish there wasn't that chocolatey bitterness...it seems to take away from the funky sourness of the yeast strain. The beer is a bit too heavy for my wild taste, too.

BATCH 1: 10/2/10
Deep brown highlighted by mahogany and garnet. Creamy and foamy head with great retention. Lacing is impressive and full.

Very potent aroma of signature RR funk, a balanced pedio sourness, and a base of currants and dark fruits. On the palate, the funk is more pronounced, and the currants really shine. Hints of bitter dark chocolate also come through. This was much better than the mess of Batch1 that I tasted from the keg about a month ago.

Sourness puckers the tongue initially, but otherwise, it is smooth and silky, leaving a syrupy funky taste on the palate. Probably the best batch of Consecration that I have had.

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%

Part V of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I've had this one before, but having it at the end of this tasting makes it all the better.

Appearance is dark red with very little head. The smell is bourbon, cherries, vanilla, and raspberries. As good as the smell is, the taste is quite a letdown - lemons, sour grapes, slight biscuit, bitters, and booze; really though, none of these flavors meld into anything too good. The drinkability is fair, but the sourness and the overall blandness of the taste makes one glass of this beer just plenty.

3.65/5  rDev -17.2%

Ruby and brown body. Thin white head. Low carb.

Nose is bitter, smoky, fruity. I can smell that it has a high ABV.

Taste is boozy, bitter, tangy, fruity and complex. Interesting and somewhat woody.

Mouthfeel is dry and tart. Slightly astringent.

Drinkability is moderate, slightly drying. The bitterness limits drinkability somewhat.

From the 03 batch

A - Very brown, small head with quick dissipation and no lacing. Slightly red, can see through, nice minimal bubble streams add a classy look to this one.

S - Currants, sweet, can defiantely smell the alcohol, almost phenolish. Deep oak on the end.

T - Currants on the front, goes very tart and just doesn't quit. Very dry.

M - Medium light, no carbonation, very dry.

D - Too tart and too much phenol like taste to drink a lot of. In all fairness this might be a better beer than I'm going to end up rating, but it was following two sweeter beers that were both amazing (NG Raspberry Tart and RR Temptation).

3.65/5  rDev -17.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass.

I've had every single batch of this beer, multiple times. I am reviewing the latest batch (#5) here, but I will include a summary of all at the end.

A: Pours a clear maroon body with generous light beige head. It fills the glass and leaves some sticky rings of lace down the sides.

S: A good balance of cabernet barrels and currants. The bugs have done their work: funk is represented in a combination of leather and hay; the sourness is primarily lactic, though there is an afterthough of acetic acid. My main request here would be to bump up the brettanomyces presence. The sourness could (and probably will) develop with time, but the funk hasn't hit my desired level.

T: Cabernet grapes, a darker currant presence, and tannins. There's a mild undercurrent of earth and leather. It's also quite sour, with a dominant lactic presence and a touch of vinegar in the finish. This isn't as aggressively sour as batch 4; it has found a better balance. I can't say it's perfect, but to my palate, it is upper-tier.

M: A bit boozy, but that's accentuated by the vinegary finish (and it becomes especially prominent toward the end of the bottle). Unlike the last batch, this one doesn't produce a constant, undrinkable burn.

O: Batch 5 is an improvement over batch 4. I still think this beer is oscillating, and it peaked with batch 3, but this is a strong showing. I wish the bottles didn't have that slight price increase when they shrank sizes, but oh well. I've had a couple of bottles of this iteration, but I'll probably wait to see if the next one (or, judging by the pattern, batch 7) improves upon it.

Batch #1: by far the most vinegary. This was great in my early days; Consecration was my first sour and it was an immediate love affair. My tastes have changed since then; I don't think I'd like an acetic interpretation anymore. (4.9)

Batch #2: less sour than batch 1. The emphasis was on wine barrel, with a tannic and earthy flavor dominating. I was less enthused about this batch. (4.6)

Batch #3: this tastes like it was made for my palate. Lactic sourness with just a touch of acetic burn in the finish. Good balance of wine barrel to the fruit. Just lovely. (5.0)

Batch #4: really lactic, with initially a mild acetic burn, but it gets pronounced and overpowering by the end of a 375mL. Difficult to finish for one person. Wine-barrel heavy, with tannic, leathery, and earthy flavors coming out. Reminds me of a more sour batch #2. (3.6)

Batch #5: this is on the return path to greatness, though not quite there. Mild lactic sourness, a presence of acetic burn in the finish. Good, but not overpowering, incorporation of wine barrels. Currants are distinct. (3.9)

Batch #6: I lost my notes from when I had this.

Batch #7: This tastes like he's starting to dial in the recipe; it is similar to batch 5, but with less acetic burn. It has a dominant lactic sourness (though it is not palate-destroying or stomach-churning) with a huge buildup of tannic currant and grape skin in the finish. The barrel is really prominent here; the cabernet sauvignon is unmistakable, making the beer taste like a slightly soured wine. Good, not great. (3.63)

3.66/5  rDev -17%

Shared a 750ml bottle at DLD with friends. Opened up a 375ml since I vaguely remember it before.

A- Pours brown in color, maybe hints of red almost ruby depending on the light. Very little head to speak of though.

S- Very strong notes of vinegar, tartness. Tough to get much else through it. Maybe hints of cherry, but very little.

T- Follows the nose pretty close. Lots of tart, brett, sourness up front and throughout. There is maybe some fruit, cherry taste sprinkled in. The tartness dominates the other flavors though.

M- Medium body, low carbonation. Very acidic and works over your throat.

O- Lots of sourness. The one I had a DLD didn't seem to be as sour, but has some age on it. Wouldn't be able to drink another bottle of this in the same night. Always fascinated with sours like this, try to pull out more flavors, this one was tough to do though.

3.68/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

375ml bottle, batch 004x4. Sent to me by boatshoes. I was totally stoked to see this one in there.

A- The color of this beer is basically the same color as the label. The carbonation fizzes up a head violently fast. It doesnt even get done gathering before its gone. No lacing, no head, not even any bubbles. Thats not always a bad thing when it comes to a sour though, I suppose.

S- This is a good smelling beer though. Very acidic. Lots of vinegar that stings the nostrils. A healthy dose of horsey funk. A nice woodiness is also apparent. Red wine, currants and glue come in subdominately.

T- Quite sour. The phrase "ass puckering" has been going around this site since Overlord coined it. Its beers like this that keep that phrase alive. Very acidic, one of the more acidic beers Ive tasted. Again, a considerable amount of funk. Lots of old, beat up oak barrel, and cellar door. Tartness that is akin to very under ripe berries. Wow this is strong on wood (to write in a very stream of conscience manner). Vinegar, unripe plum skin. Pretty aggressive.

M- Very biting. Very dry. It leaves a grape juice acidity in the mouth as it strips your palate bare.

D- Very aggressive. I think I feel it trying to upset my stomach. I like it nonetheless. This beer will let you know what it thinks of you, and it doesnt think to highly of your attitude.

This beer in one word: Rancorous.

3.69/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Batch 007

Pours a dark ruby bordering on maroon. What little head there was dissipates right away. Not super inviting but I'm not at all familiar with sours.

Smell is very pleasing if you like wine. Smells much smoother than a mediocre bottle of cab (I'm talking cheap mediocre...not sommelier mediocre). I get a lot of oak and spicy notes. Dark fruit and funkiness.

Sourness is present right away and lingers well into the finish. In between there's bright and tart cherry. As it warms there are very nice oak notes that come out. Some tobacco.

Mouthfeel...The RR website tells me its full bodied but I would call it medium. The sourness may be throwing off my perception but that's how it seems to me.

Overall...Not my cup of tea. The beer might've been too young, and I don't know anything about aging sours or the style in general. It's not too harsh or intense. Just not pleasant to me. Gonna stick to PtE for now, but I'm glad I tried it. Any insight to sours is welcome through beermail.

3.7/5  rDev -16.1%

One of the top rated sours in the country and I finally got one from my buddy Randy!

A - Rich burgundy color when poured but is a red-tinged brown color in the glass. Slightly cloudy from the yeast with a nice white head but subsides to nothing after a minute or two.

S - The smell is fruity and very complex. It is vinous with the currants and typical cab grape fruit notes. There is some alcohol, some fruit esters, and some soft Belgian character present. There is some sour and some oakiness but the dark fruit character is true.

T - The first sip just explodes with red wine vinegar! The sour makes you pucker from the front to the back of the palate. After the initial sour punch the complexities come out. There is a fruit character more like Cabernet and not as much like the currants. There is the sweetness of the malt, oak, and some Belgian character but it is very subtle in comparison to the strong sour character.

M - Medium to light mouth-feel with light carbonation. Like a sour soda that has fizz initially but dies down and for 10% ABV it is much more like a wine than a Belgian strong ale.

Overall, a very interesting beer. I was not expecting the full on sour, red wine vinegar, shock to my palate when I first cracked this open. It is a unique experience with a distinct sour and then sweet/complex nature. It is also very thin for what the base beer is and very much like a sour wine. I would not recommend this unless you like sours and have a heart for a bolder sour experience. I could see someone liking it but at an "rAvg: 4.5" I was expecting more flavor and less sour.

Glass- Tulip

3.72/5  rDev -15.6%

Poured from bottle (batch005X2F) into snifter glass. Pours a deep reddish-orange-brown color with a small off-white head that dissipates, although there is some visible carbonation throughout. Aroma of sour lemon, tart cherries and other dark fruits (must be the currants), oak, vanilla, and some funk. Flavor of tart cherries and currants, sour lemon, tart apples, oak, vanilla, funk, and a hint of vinegar. The ABV is well masked here. Medium-bodied, with a sour mouthfeel and mellow carbonation. Complex, well-balanced, and interesting. I am not a big fan of sours, but am glad to have tried this one as well as the other RR sours!

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

Batch 003x001

Pours an amber/brown but when held up to the light comes across as rose.

The smell is very complex with many wine like qualities. Smells sour, raisny, oak, and a slight chocolate background.

The taste is also pretty sour . Oak and age smooth the alcohol out very nicely and make it easy to sip.

This isnt a beer youd want to drink too fast, more so to just enjoy it through out a night and good dinner. I probably wouldnt buy this beer again though due to the high price but Im glad I got to try it once.

3.73/5  rDev -15.4%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours darker than a beet red, with a small cap of white foam.

S: Got some interesting cherry and wine notes, but wanted a bit more. Some chocolate in there too.

T: Heavy balsamic vinegar and wine character, almost had a rancid fruit characteristic, in a good way though. Fig and dark fruit notes. Not light on the funk. Sweetness comes out in the finish to the beer which I liked. Not the greatest flavour for me, but certainly interesting.

M: Upfront acidity, then the mouthfeel lightens up a bit, a little too thin at times.

D: An intriguing beer from Russian River. I don't think I liked it as much as everyone around me did, but I enjoyed trying it.

Edit - I've had this beer a few times since the original review, still not wowed, but I've found myself liking it more and more. Upping the taste score to a 4 (from 3.5).

3.75/5  rDev -15%

Thanks to Ineedabeerhere for this beer. Poured from a Batch 1 750ml corked & caged bottle into a Liefmans lambic glass.

A: "Mahogandy" (red/brown/burgundy) color with a fizzy head that dies down to nothing.

S: Currants and oak - exactly how the beer was meant to smell.

T: Currants and oak - exactly how this beer was meant to taste. I thought this was a little too sweet, a little sour, and a little medicinal.

M: Dry, vinous, and lots of carbonation.

D: Between the acetic value and ABV, I thought this was a little tough to get through by myself.

Overall, the Americans just can't keep up with the European lambic brewers.

3.75/5  rDev -15%

375ml corked and caged bottle. Batch 005X2F...

A - Pours an amber/brown with a one finger tan head that dissipates almost immediately...

S - Smells of various fruits; cherries, green apples, and mixed berries. Don't detect any heat in the scent...

T - The cherries and mixed berries from the scent come through with a little oak. Ends on a tart note with some heat making an appereance. Abv is noticeable, but is not over the top. Very smooth and well ballanced...

M - Medium bodied with lots of carbonation...

O - Not my favorite style, but something I enjoy from time to time. Glad I finally tried this one. Solid example of the style, and something I will be definitely be picking up again...

look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle from strang. Batch 008. From notes.

A - Deep red colour, cloudy with one finger of light brown head that fizzled away fast. Quite effervescent. No lace, no retention.

S - Grapes, plums, Brett, some wood, lemon candy, mustiness.

T - Tart with grapes and not much else. Musty, tart, lemons, not much 'dark' to speak of, it's mostly just a Brett assault. Maybe a tiny bit of dark fruit was there. No alcohol.

M - Strong carbonation, medium to full body, puckering tart finish.

O/D - Enjoyed it. Too bad there couldn't be more malt complexity with the Brett dialed back. Carbonation was also a bit much and made tasting a bit difficult. Not bad for a wild ale though and was pleasant to drink, but didn't seem to break new ground for the style .

3.77/5  rDev -14.5%

37.5 cl bottel poured into my cantilion tulip glass

Pours a slightly hazy amber with an orange-white head.
The strong sour aroma holds notes of tart fruits and berries, as well as wood and light funk.
Flavor is immediately sweet but then becomes quite sour with bright fruitiness.
Light to medium in body with fine, fizzy carbonation. Finishes with a long sour note and heavy dryness

3.78/5  rDev -14.3%

I live in Delaware and we can not find Russian River anywhere around. I found some the other day at Monks Cafe in downtown Philadelphia.

The appearance in very dark and ruby. Almost like a pinot noir. It poured a little thick with almost no carbonation. There was little head that dissipated rather quickly.

The smell was very light in my opinion. Lots of sweet fruit with a little sour as well.

Taste was very good. It was sweet and sour and had almost taken on the pinot taste from the barrels that is aged on. It has some nice hops at the back of the palate.

Mouthfeel was very nice as well. It almost appears like wine but it had a lot of carbonation behind it. I was really not expecting the carbonation.

Drinkability is good but not great. If you like wild-ale this would be great. I could not keep drinking again and again especially with a $30 price tag. But you get what you pay for.

It was a great beer and I will drink again.

3.79/5  rDev -14.1%

375ml brown glass bottle with an intricate cork+steel wire cap served into a hefeweissbier glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations were high as this is me second favourite brewery in the world and me favourite in the Americas.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and poor retention. Colour is a dark copper with the potential for overcarbonation, judging by the bubbles. It's appealing in a generic sense.

Sm: Aroma consists of souring hops - which aren't overpowering like some lambics, wine, grapes, mild wood notes, and some lactic notes. Aroma is of moderate to mild strength.

T: A very complex taste, consisting primarily of souring hops but with a wine "shell" around it. Some cedar comes through, particularly from the midpoint through the climax. If berries are present, they're buried. The finish smacks of grapes, which closes out the flavour nicely. No alcohol comes through.

Mf: Very smack your lips pleasant due to the grape finish - sort of a slight Welch's commercial effect. It's smooth and wet all around, but perchance a touch too thick. Overcarbonation is slight but existent.

Dr: It hides its ABV very well, and has some great complex flavours, but does suffer from some minor issues, namely overcarbonation. I could see this getting better with age, but it'd be very difficult to drink more than one. It's nice to kick back and enjoy after returning from work, but sippers only go so far. Excellent value in California.

3.79/5  rDev -14.1%

First of two 375ml's purchased in Philly last week. The other one is staying in the cellar for a couple years. Batch 004x1, which according to Russian River's website, means this was brewed 3/25/09, and bottled 2/2/10.

Pours a see-through brown, an off-white head quickly fizzles away to a thin ring. Some sediment floating about. No lacing.

Big amount of sweaty funky aromas, cherry and red wine notes, green apple.

Lots of red wine and barrel tastes, sour red grapes. Very prominent oak/wood tastes, funk and barnyard. The fruit is stronger as it warms. Some alcohol here and there. I wasn't very impressed at first but it grew on me enough to give it a 4 for taste about halfway through.

Carbonation is on the high side, feels a bit thin and boozy. A long, dry, sour finish.

Pretty good but underwhelming, definitely not in the league of Supplication or Temptation in my opinion.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company