Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,076 | Hads: 4,696

on tap at Saraveza.

EDIT: this was for batch 1; batch 2 and 3 are much better.

A dark reddish brown with no lacing. See-through, can not tell if there is a lot of carbonation from looking at glass.

S lots of tart cherries, wine funk and oak notes.

T Delicious. wine, citrus, and oak is present. very tart at first and then sour on finish. quite enjoyable.

M) Feels great can't complain on the feel of it. Consistent to what a sour should be. Sourness/puckering feeling is enjoyable.

D) I could drink a lot of this but due to how pricey it is I think I'll invest in bottling other sours. Glad I got a few bottles but glad I did not purchase an entire case. It will be very interesting to see how this one ages. A bit over hyped but quite delicious and an enjoyable experience. (781 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

this beer was chilled in a hotel bag of ice in a trash bin and poured into a 10 oz. plastic cup.

-dark amber color with a light brown head

-SOUR got some malts in there for sure and seems to be biscuity malts

-SOUR some cherry, some lemon. pretty warming on the way down. can feel it in the belly.

-SOUR champagnesque. bubbles on the tongue pretty good

-really gotta be in the mood to drink a sour. if i was in the mood for a beer i would never go for a sour. it is good for the style, but that i think will always be the case (532 characters)

375ml bottle 10,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
Batch 007

Thanks to futura123 for hooking me up with this one.

I had Temptation last night and while it was a very tasty sour with a lovely white wine character, it lacked both the power and depth of a true lambic. I hope that the uniqueness of Consecration (strength and ingredients) will give it a boost in these departments.

Appearance: Deep mahogany brown body that shows stunning red and orange highlights when back lit. A rough pour yields a small off white head that sadly fizzes away pretty quickly leaving no lacing.

Smell: The nose is initially quite restrained; however it begins to emerge after a short while and actually smells pretty damn good! Red wine, dark fruits (plums, cherries, figs and currants) and balsamic vinegar dominate the nose, with lighter notes of oak, a metallic quality (reminiscent of a Flemish red), barnyard and old cheese (old rather than nicely ripe) also present.

Taste: Unfortunately the flavour does not quite deliver the deliciousness that the nose promised – it almost seems as though part of the flavour is obscured by the moderate tartness.
Dark fruits (plums, figs, cherries and currants) dominate the flavour, with the red wine character slightly less prominent than in the nose. Balsamic, light spices, oak, an earthy character and a hint of barnyard are also noted. The tartness is moderate and makes Consecration sublimely drinkable for a 10% ale.

Mouthfeel: Unexpectedly at this Abv. Consecration is a medium (or just under) bodied ale with a high level of ultra smooth carbonation (Russian River seem to nail the carbonation in their sours!). The tartness is moderate and the finish is lightly dry.

Overall: Sadly consecration suffers from the same woes as Temptation - it just doesn't seem to have the depth of flavour that Belgian sours do. On the plus side, this is certainly the most drinkable 10% beer I have had! I will consider getting another bottle of consecration in the future - maybe a year or two of age will bump up the flavours. (2,090 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -13.2%

I'm not sure what style glass this was served in, it was kind of a cross between a flute and a tulip. Poured a reddish mahogany with about 1/2 inch of off-white head that had medium retention and light lacing.

Grapes and wine! That is what dominated the nose, and there were traces of malt, spice and yeast in the background. Oh yes, this is mouth-puckeringly sour brew. Tart, tangy and sour, they wine flavor wasn't as strong as the had led me to expect.

The body was good, although a bit thinner than I would have liked. Drinkability was very good for a sour and the beer stayed puckerific to the last drop.

Overall, a good beer, a must try if you see it. (660 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -13%

On tap at the Local 44 in Philly yesterday.

The beer pours a darkish brown color with minimal head retention and fair lacing. The nose on this beer is its best feature, IMHO, with a complex aroma of black currents, wine, vanilla and sour funk. On the palate... sigh... this beer is just over the top sour for me. I get a hint of wine and black currents, along with some light vanilla, but the overwhelming flavor component to this beer is sour funk. There is an intense vinegar/sour wine flavor to this beer, with a huge rush of sour in the finish. My tolerance and appreciation for sour beers has improved over the past year, but I just think the brett in this beer is over the top, with the sour overwhelming and dominating everything else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a long finish, and the alcohol is very well hidden. However, the excessive sour component really wore me out in the end, and IMHO it really hurts this beer's drinkability.

Glad I had a chance to try this one, but once was enough for me. (1,013 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -12.8%

Again, thanks to mrstevens for breaking this one out yesterday. Poured into my CCB snifter.

A: A murky sienna color. The pour dropped a nickel of foamy white head that faded rather quickly and didn't leave much lace.

A: Sour dark fruits, and notes of wood. Red grapes, apples, red wine, and oak. I get a bunch of sour notes, that warn me of what's to come.

T: Yup, this one's sour. Probably the sourest of wilds I have yet to try. More wine and woody oak. Sour dark fruits, cherry, blackberries, apples, and barnyard funk. Finishes rather dry and tart.

M: Medium body, high levels of carbonation. This one has a bit of a bite to it.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is somewhat lower. This one is extremely sour. Overall, I had this one back to back with Supplication, and let me tell you, it dosen't hold a candle. It is a little too sour for my taste, and the oak and wine barrels, while good, didn't do it for me in this brew. I liked it, just didn't love it. Skal. (979 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Batch 004X1. Thank you slentz for the trade!

No head off the slow pour, what little there was, was a light tan brown that quickly faded and left the smallest of all collars. Body color is a gorgeous dark red and brown cherry, very wine like looking.

A nice simple tartyness that isn't overpoweringly sour. Cherry like fruit sensation. Not even any heat really coming off for this high abv. Standard funky barnyard to go with it, musty and dank, slightly dry. No sense of oak from this at all.

Classic tart and viscous sour, but sort of boring. Sour cherries also. Almost red wine vinegar but not quite. Sort of one dimensional. Fairly alright for mouthfeel light bodied, warming in the stomach, and coating snap feeling mid palate with some spice. Strangely I get a feeling for summer sausage when having this beer. I want paprika with this.

Overall alright but sort of pedestrian. Feels like a food beer than for casual drinking for me. It will do. (998 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -12.6%

This is one of those beers that drinks more like a wine than a beer. Aged in wine barrels and carrying the flavors over into the finished product with a unique character added to the tartness of this beer. All the RR products are made to the highest of standards by one of craft beers true master brewers! I recommend trying all their brews if you can get your hands on them.. (376 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -12.3%

First time tasting a sour. Pours a purple wine color with a little head and plenty of carbonation. Not much lacing, but quite a bit of suds. The odor is champagne like, fruity, lie de vin, farmhouse, yeasty, metallic, wine like. The taste is very crisp, fruity, peach, grapefruit, currants, champagne like, wine, dried fruits and dry sour on the back end. (359 characters)

Russian River- Consecration

A- Deep plum reddish purple with a good foamy head.
S- Sweet red grapes, plums, sour mix and scoops of sugar.
T- Sour red grapes, black currant, plums, and a sour citrus.
M- Very sour and dry. Sweet sugary fruit finish.

Overall- good sour dry feel with a nice black currant flavor. 1 or 2 would be good at dessert. (344 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

After an unreasonably arduous brewday, I need something good to relax me and the funk was calling me. Poured into a tulip. Batch 003x4.

Cork pull gave a spirited pop, but then the beer inside got pissy and decided to spill out a bit over the top. Not really overcarbonated, but given the day I just had, I'm not surprised that this beer was out to get me. Anyway...

4.0 A: Dark mahogany color and hazy. Looks like I might have gotten the yeast in an uproar. Two fingers of fizzy off white head that acts and falls like the head on a can of Coke.

4.0 S: Nose is pleasant, but pretty simplistic for a sour. On the acid front, the only thing that comes through with any power is acetic acid, which could be amplified by the currants. Latic acid is soft if it is even there at all. I can smell the barrel, but wouldn't have any idea that it was Savignon if I didn't read the label. Black currant and cherry fruitiness underlying.

4.0 T: Quite a lot more going on in the taste than in the nose. The first thing that struck me was a tongue paralyzing astringency, but this dies down upon additional sips. Very musky as well. The Cabernet makes an big appearance in the taste and actually this tastes more like a soured wine than a soured beer. Though there is a touch of vinegary-ness, there is a lot more lactic acid, though surprisingly not too tart. Tannins with currant and raisin fruitiness. Though I appreciate complexity, the big bold flavors are each too aggressive on their own and fail to mesh harmoniously.

3.5 M: Lighter medium. Good moderate amount of fizzy carbonation. Astrigency on finish that lingers. Alcohol is noticeable, but seems more like 7% than 10%.

3.5 D: Not bad, but seems like there are too many flavors competing without any direction. (1,766 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -12.1%

Thanks to BZero007 for sending me this in an epic exchange of Top 100 brews. I hope he enjoyed his, now I'm going to tie into mine!

Batch #2. Pours thick, dark, cloudy red with a bubbly head that falls instantly to the barest of rings. Smells is all sour, funky cherry (or is that currants?).

Taste is like a sour slap upside the head. The sour funk runs up into my nasal passages & clears up the mild cold that started, as well as aiding my arthritis & cataracts. Yeesh! Sour dark fruits, funk, with a dry, tart finish contributed by the wood that sears the top of my mouth & back of my throat.

I think dry & tart covers the mouthfeel, with high carbonation. I can hear it bubbling. Drinkability is high/low. Low because I couldn't have more than half the bomber, high because it's unique & soothing on the tongue. As I move on even a half-bomber is a lot; eight ounces would have sufficed.

Very good beer. Can't say that I'm as enamored of it as the general BA population, but I understand the appeal. A wonderful once-in-a-while treat. (1,044 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bought from a small beer store in Paulsbo, WA near Seattle. My first wild ale from Russian River, though I have been a fan of the sour wild ale style from Belgium for while. It's an attractive red, plum, amber color. Carbonation is fairly high and makes it looks just a bit like Dr. Pepper - but in a good way. The smell is really nice. Sour, cherries, alcohol, and a sweet/acid mix. The flavor is similar, but with more dark fruit, a bit of the cabernet and oak. I give it some minus-points because there is a bile-like quality as well that didn't sit well with me. Mouthfeel is nice and lively and it would be very drinkable for me if not for that bile-thing going on in the background. (688 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -11.9%

Bottle batch 004x02 poured into Oerbier tulip. A hazy dried blood redish brown with an off white fizzy head that disappears quickly. Not an attractive beer. Smell is sour fruit, cherry pits, sugary sour candy, a hint of wine oakiness and funk. Taste is not nearly as complex as the smell - sour grapes at first, followed by a hint of alcohol and some wet oak. Mouthfeel is puckering at first, light body with prickly carbonation and a dry finish. Pretty drinkable, though not the best batch of consecration I have had. (518 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -11.9%

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 006.

Appearance - Pours with a hint of a brown head that's gone in a flash. Nothing after that. Looks flat as hell. The body is a dark ruby red. Looks like a glass of cabernet.

Smell - Acidic and lactic sour aromas. Oak. Strong red wine presence. Distinctly cabernet, too. I'm amazed how well the wine comes through. Sour fruits round out the flavor. Cherries and I suppose currants, but hell if I've ever actually smelled currants.

Taste - Like the flavor, but with a more pronounced acidity. Sour at first. Not puckering, but it's sustained throughout the drink. Lots of sour fruits followed by a ton of cabernet. The finish of the beer is dry, but the wine character overwhelms the dryness leaving it with a vinous character in the end.

Mouthfeel - It's not a light sour by any means. In fact it gets kinda tough to drink after a while. Medium-low carbonation doesn't help. It feels like I'm drinking a sour glass of wine more than a beer.

Overall - Interesting flavors, but a huge sour ale that gets sluggish and repetitive as I drink it. Tasty, but not something I could drink all the time. (1,151 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -11.9%

On tap into a Chimay goblet at the Bier Stein in Eugene.

Beautiful dark red color, quite similar to the bottle. No head whatsoever. Very unique looking beer.

Smell is black cherry a little booze, overall surprisingly subtle, and I would have expected a little more funk.

Taste is much like the smell, black cherry with great smooth sourness up front. Hardly any funk present. Finishes with complex sourness and a subtle aftertaste.

Surprisingly fizzy, the texture that you would expect from a 10% beer. You can smell the alcohol, but it is completely masked in the flavor.

I have yet to fully enjoy a sour experience, so maybe its just not my thing. (659 characters)

Consecration 09

Hello, pretty little glass... You look dangerous.

Appearance> dark red brown, no head, no bubbles, no lacing

Smell>Sour cherry. Yeasty. Wow. Not my cuppa, but pretty fab for those who like this sort of thing.

Taste> The tart prune "tannins," if you will, strike suddenly... then the sour mash sensation warms up in the hang leaving the imbiber's palette with pleasant, plummy notes in the hang.

Mouf>thin and easy

Drinkability> Wow. That was great and a nice switchup from my usuals at the Toronado, but I couldn't have more than one... more than two would definitely be bad on a weekday. (625 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -11.6%

On tap at Capone's. Pours dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma of sweettart candies, oaky notes, and lots of sweet notes. Flavor is very tart and acidic with Brett, light pale malts, a touch of yogurt, and wine-like notes (red grapes). Very flavorful but the palate is a bit wearing over time. Not my favorite type of sour but this was quite good.
9/4/8/3/15 (3.9/5) (369 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

A - Looks like blackberry soda.

S - Can definitely sense the currants and Cab barrels. Little worried it wont have a strong ale taste though.

T - Yeah, in my honest opinion it's a little lacking in the beer/ale flavor. It tastes like a dry soda. It's not bad, very drinkable, but I would love to try a stout aged in Cab barrels. I'm not a huge sour advocate, but if that is your thing, try this! You will like.

M - Very carbonated. Adds to the soda feel. No head. Reminds me of a Lindemans.

O - Obviously a very high quality offering but not for everyone. If you are into Lindemans or sours this is a must try. (615 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

had this beer on friday night. Sat down with several freind and tried all the RR sours! I am new to sours and willing to give them a chance. Why not start with some of the best?

reviewed from notes.

Appearance: light brown bodied beer with redish highlights. White whispy head with lots of small bubbles.

Smell: Cranberries, oak and wine.

Taste: Cranberries and currant. Tannins and oak. Moderate sour taste of vinegar takes over the taste and finish of this beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Prickly and clean mouthfeel.

Overall: Interesting sour beer. Not my favorite sour we had that night, but its decent! (646 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

375ml, batch 004x2. Poured into an over sized wine goblet. Received as a super generous extra from Plenum, thanks a ton man!

A - Pours a dark brown with red tint. Very clear and bubbly. No real head to speak of, but there's some nice action going on around the edges of the glass.

S - Tons of currants, cherries, and oak. The finish is very musky and funky.

T - Extremely sour. This is probably the most sour beer I've ever had, even more so than the Belgian lambics and guezes I've tried. Cherries and oak. The sourness masks a lot of the fruit flavors, but the brett funk is on full display. Delicious.

O - This was a very good beer and I'm glad I got to try this. Its not on par with the belgian sours, but this is a very impressive american wild. It was my first RR'ion beer and from what I read this is the bottom of the tier. Can't wait to try some of the other ones. (878 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -11.4%

Clear light caramel red color. Color made me think of a light bourbon. Very light head that dissipates quickly. Lots of soda like carbonation.

Very sour fruity aroma. Taste is a tangy, fruity and sour, with oak undertones. Can definitley taste the currants. Nice light flavors are still able to slip through the sour flavors.

Nice light body. Easy to drink with a dry red wine like finish. (392 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -11%

Poured into a Tulip

A: A dark brown with little clarity (same color as the bottle its sold in). There is a half inch ring of head with around the outer ring of my glass and some whispy trails of bubbles through the middle. The Duvel D at the bottom of my glass is creating a swirl of carbonation in the middle that makes the bubbles look like clouds of a hurricane.

S: Acidic sour, some cherry "tang", as well as some earthy oak notes.

D: Sour vinegar with a hint of tartness, slight earthy flavor on the finish. Like the Cabernet barrels the beer is aged in it has a similar finish, earthy and puckering. Sour not dry.

M: Slick, lightly carbonated mouth.

D: I enjoyed this beer and the fact that it really resembled a wine, minus the carbonation. I would gladly have another but for the ABV which at 10 is very high. While I don't notice the alcohol presence in the taste or scent I am sure I will feel it after my first glass. (936 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to Millerbuffoon for this 375mL brown glass cork and caged number. Batch 004X3.

Pours a ruddy, reddish brown, mostly clear with very thin head. Nose smells sour right off the bar (yes, I know sour is not a smell). Wine barrels and red wine vinegar, plus raisins soaking in vodka come to mind, a hint of smooth leather and a suggestion of cranberry.

Palate is vinegar sour right off the bat. Flavors of leather, dried cranberry, used wine barrel, earthen clay and plum mix together. Good complexity, quite sour, long finish, but rather still (in terms of carbonation).

Not my favorite RR sour. Still love me that Temptation. I will say that the AVB is really well hidden... This is FFO Flemish reds. (714 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -10.7%

Batch 013113 printed on the bottle. I must say, I'm rather excited about this beer, as it is the first RR brew I am having, and have heard nothing but good things about them. I will try to not let that influence my rating.

I poured slowly per the bottle's instructions. I receive a half finger of dull tan colored head that dissipates almost as soon as I'm done pouring. This leaves no froth on top, but a constant flow of bubbles is noticed on the surface. No lace.

It smells of red wine, cherries and raspberries.

The taste is red wine and raspberries. You get a little funk as well, almost like a light dank woodiness. The alcohol is well disguised.

This is rather light bodied. It goes down quickly and leaves a film on your tongue. (741 characters)

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company