Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Wants: 1,428
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros

3.08/5  rDev -31.4%

Pours a nice reddish brown that turns to a beautiful deep ruby when held in front of a light. Almost no head is present, but a bit of lacing is left behind. The carbonation is easily visible, and never dies down by the time the beer is finished.

Smells solid. Sour up front, with a hint of oak and some different fruits (can't pick out which fruits specifically from the nose.)

Taste just isn't up to par with the smell or the expectations. I will say that this is only my second sour, with the supplication I had two days earlier my first. The supplication was absolutely incredible, and is probably my favorite beer now. This one, though, just doesn't do it for me. The sourness doesn't take up enough of the fruity characteristics and instead reminds me almost of pure vinegar. There is a slight fruity sweetness to it which saves it from being really bad, but the vinegar flavor is too prominent to make it anything more than average. I really wanted to like this one as much as supplication, but it just wasn't even close. Real disappointment.

Batch 003x1.

3.08/5  rDev -31.4%

375ml poured into a flute - fridge - batch 004x4

Appearance: Pours a dark red, but mostly brown color with absolutely no head. This might be a bad bottle. It is a little cloudy but shows no other signs of life.

Smell: Medicinal, cabernet, currant and not much else. I suppose there is a little bit of tobacco.

Taste: Sticky sweet but also sour and acidic. A tart taste of currant and other dark fruits is met with that typical cabernet taste. Some wood and plenty of alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very unlively, with no carbonation, but lots of flavor and wine inspiration. Medium to heavily bodied. Tart, acidic, sweet and woody.

Drinkability: This beer had so much hype around it that it pains me to begrudge it so much. It needs more attention to detail. Head, head retention, aroma, mouthfeel all need to be seriously reconsidered before releasing to the public. I feel like this beer was sold just to get it out of the brewery for some $$$.

3.3/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours a deep crimson hued plum color with a very small bright purple head. Very little retention and chunky, slippery lacing. Amazing colored brew.

The smell is more vinous than anything. There is a strong concord grape driven smell up front with a fairly reserved funk. I'm liken this to a funky welches grape juice. I enjoy that the oak is not a dominating odor.

The flavor is loaded with grape, current and plums. There is a firm acidity reminiscent of white wine vinegar that covers up a lot of the underlying funk. The funkiness starts to emerge more as the puckering subsides. Once again there is a very vinous quality to this brew. There is no hint in the taste that Consecration sits at a hefty 10%.

The mouthfeel is very light and the carbonation ample and vibrant. There is a lactic thickness on the back end, but the acidity helps to cover and keep it light feeling.

Overall, I feel this brew lacks a complexity that I like in a wild. I enjoy this brew immensely, but this 750 is going to be a chore to polish off.

3.33/5  rDev -25.8%

500 mL bottle, corked and caged, split with my buddy Griff and poured into my two belgian Petrus snifter glasses. Review done from my notes from last night.

A: Pours a murky-brown color with an off-white head that dissipated quickly.

S: The nose is of pure sweetness and funk.

T: Tart fruits and sourness. Lots and lots of sourness. I'm trying to pick up on other things here... pick out certain types of tart fruits, but I'm struggling. Maybe some very mild cherry, but it's tough to tell as this is just overwhelmingly sour to me.

Taste also has a vinegar-red-wine sourness that you get if you open up a bottle of red, don't finish it, put it in your refrigerator for a week or so, then take it back out and drink it.

I will say this, the 10% ABV is very hidden here. I don't pick up on any alcohol presence at all.

M: This beer finishes sour. I'm not sure what else to say about this.

D: It was fun to try... a lot of fun to try. But it's not terribly drinkable for me. I wouldn't have wanted another one that night, and I don't think I would be interested in trying it again until some time passes. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say I'd never try it again, just not anytime in the next several weeks.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company