1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Consecration Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,148 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
lovindahops

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

Decided to keep going with our Russian river night. Poured from bottle slowly

A- consecration pours lovely reddish brown with flushing to the edges of the glass. A slight haze is evident in the the body the brew.

S- An AWESOME combination of cherries, earthy scent, tobacco, brett, and oak. Not to mention some other musty fruit and the Cabernet components mingling together. So complex yet so smooth and exponentially spiking with flavor. What a combination of themes going on!

T- a sour taste of cherries are meshed with the tobacco earthiness. Just a splendid wine flavor that blends with the oakiness from the barrel aging. The vast properties of the brew lead to an amazing taste experience. Really smooth and drinkable

M- a bit syrupy but the smoothness of the flavor pulls it through

O- Incredible wild ale that takes so many different properties and delivers with a fantastic brew. Not many beers like this in the world. Will be trying to find a way to get more

08-21-2012 01:23:11 | More by lovindahops
MRsojourner

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

beautiful burgundy color with little to no head that just makes a outline of bubbles around the glass.
wonderful aroma of deep oak and red cabernet wine with a nutty aroma as well.
Taste is initially brown and caramel malts but is soon followed by sour and tart flavors that are so clean and devoid of vinegar. the barrel really shines through to the point where i forget im drinking a beer.
the mouthfeel is slick and smooth just leaving a hint of carbonation on the tongue.
overall it's wonderful and truly bridges the gap between beer and wine imo. glad i have one more but wish i had more than that

08-12-2013 23:49:27 | More by MRsojourner
lunarbrew

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Pours a dark amber red with a lot of fizz and little head to speak of. Not much lacing and a lot of apparent (champagne-like) carbonation.

Lots of red fruit (cherry, currant) with big red wine nose. Lactic is big. Tart apples. Sour fruits. blah blah blah. Smells and looks like an fruity oud bruin. My kind of beer. Can't wait.

This is phenomenal. I like this much better than Supplication. Flavors are bold, very complex, and quite tart. The wine flavor is big but not overpowering. Definitely get the red grape on the back end and even some tannin bitterness. Sour cherry and currant again, naturally. I also get a vinegar flavor, but it's subtle. Not exactly red wine vinegar, but almost balsamic. Or is it apple cider? I can't put my finger on it. Absolutely incredible flavor.

Mouthfeel is great. Medium bodied, high champagney carbonation. Tannin on the backend.

This is an amazing sour. I defiantly have a world yet to explore, but this is the sour flavor (at least) I have been looking for. Perhaps it's a more obvious beer than supplication (the only other RR sour I've had), but I appreciate that aspect. I really really enjoy this.

08-21-2013 03:12:44 | More by lunarbrew
dwagner003

4.76/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer on tap, out of bottles fresh and out of bottles with 8-10 months of aging. On tap, which is the basis for this rating, it was one of the most enjoyable beers I've ever had the pleasure of smelling/drinking.

It's a deep reddish-brown color with almost no head. As it sits, there are absolutely no bubbles on top. The smell hits you immediately and it's just unreal. It smells sour, but there is so much more in there. Wonderfully warming oaky notes with some sweetness in the background. You can smell it from across the table.

The initial taste is that of tartness, but just wait a few seconds. Your palate is bathed with this sweetness that is perfectly subtle. The oak erupts and you can taste all those years that these barrels were filled with Cabernet. I don't taste the currants exactly, but I am sure they are contributing to the subtle sweetness.

If it wasn't for my preference towards sweeter Belgian tripels, the taste would be a 5 as well. I cannot imagine many better Wild Ales than this.

This was FAR superior to the bottled versions. I'd buy bottles again, but I will always order it if it's available on tap.

04-01-2013 03:54:30 | More by dwagner003
Silenus89

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. Batch 001x2. Very loud noise upon pulling the cork, look out!! Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Had a reddish brown color to it with a thin head that reseeded quickly. No lacing.

S. Sour smell with red wine hints and currants

T. This was my first ever sour and its quite amazing, I must say. This definitely got better as it warmed. Just an explosion of red grapes, sour notes and wood notes. Very complex.

MF. Champagne like carbonation to it.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer, can hardly even taste the alcohol. This was an amazing beer for me, definitely gonna be looking for many more sours now. Well worth the 23 dollar price tag.

03-10-2009 03:18:49 | More by Silenus89
DwnTwnBwn

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Served in a tulip Glass at the pub. Dark and slightly cloudy. Extremely fine bubbles sliding up the glass.

S - It smelled of oak (and a little bourbon) with a hints of a wet dog. (Very promising smell)

T - Notes of Jams and Currents. A perfect funky flavor. A tart berry flavor moves from start to finish with the tart ending at the end of the experience.

M - It was very warm and acidic with a nice dry finish.

O - Best wild ale yet.

04-03-2009 17:44:23 | More by DwnTwnBwn
0110x011

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Review #100 - and a damn fine choice if I do say so myself.

A - Pours a deep, dark ruby red. Virtually opaque. Dark like Chimay Blue is dark. Beautiful garnet highlights. Light tan head is two fingers tall and big bubbled. Not a lot of staying power on the head, and little lacing to speak of.

S - The fruit makes its presence known immediately. Both dark (raisin & plum) and red (cherry & raspberry) fruit pay a role. The barrel influence is a big part, giving solid red wine and vanilla overtones. The wild yeast adds an earthy, horsey funk. A bit of booze tops it all off. this is the kind of beer that gives you something new with every whiff. Incredible depth.

T - Again, the fruit hits first.The dark/red emphasis seems to shift from sip to sip, sometimes giving more plum, sometimes more raspberry and cherry. I imagine I'm tasting currant at times, but I usually don't eat currants, so its hard to have a real basis for comparison. The Cab flavors play a part in the front as well, imparting their own unique fruitiness. The oaky, vanilla flavors come in the middle and on the sides, where the musty earth of the brett makes its presence known. The sour aspect hits with a bang toward the end which, along with the oak and wine tannin, makes for a super clean finish.

M - Medium-full body, but the carbonation is a bit coarse, which along with the acidity and tannin, makes for a very snappy feel.

D - I could drink this stuff all night. I'm actually having to tell myself to drink it slowly in order to savor it. the 10% abv is barely noticeable.

This is a top ten beer for me, no doubt. Delicious and creative, worthy of the awe it inspires.

04-10-2009 04:43:55 | More by 0110x011
Bcaulin

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a deep reddish brown color -- has some ruby highlights when held up to the light. Nice big light khaki head -- very nice carbonation. It's not a big mess of head, but a careful pour is necessary to keep this one in check.

Blown away by the amount of wine and grape in the nose. I wasn't expecting a big hit from the Cab Barrels, but it is there for sure, and it matches perfectly with the sour berry smells. The oak balances it out a little.

Taste is over the top -- perfect combination of sour bite and fruity, oaky smoothness. They don't seem like things that necessarily go together, but this one has it all. Aside from the chewy and viscous feel, you could have convinced me this had half the ABV it does -- so perfectly hidden away.

Could easily down this one quickly, but it would be such a shame to get to the end any faster than necessary. This is the type of beer that makes you want to go back and rethink some previous ratings -- completely redefined what the style can be.

04-28-2009 03:21:11 | More by Bcaulin
fiver29

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared by miketd. Thanks Mike! Pours dark brown with off white head. Has acid and tart cherry aromas. Flavor is tart cherry, dark fruit, wood, and some wine notes. Finishes with a super pucker mouth watering sourness that is great. Medium light mouthfeel. Overall a great brew and one I really liked.

08-21-2009 19:58:41 | More by fiver29
davod23

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 3 poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours a deep, clear garnet. A light beige head rises up and fizzles away immediately - and I do mean immediately. I barely had time to note the color before it was gone. Ah well, that's expected in a big sour like this one. Holding the beer up to the light, there are the most beautiful shimmering golden highlights. Beautiful.

Smell is good. I believe that I am sensing a pattern where my lowest score for my reviewed beers tends to be on the aroma. I don't know why that is - but often I wish that the aroma was more in my face. That's the case here. I am getting plenty of sour fruit here, mostly currants, red berries and perhaps a bit of raisin and cherry. Smells sour. A hint of the barrels, and I can detect red wine from the cabernet. Very inviting, if not as robust as I would like ideally.

Taste is superb. Massive sour fruit kick, currants and berries mostly. This is sour, but not puckeringly so - there is a sweetness that offsets it nicely. Tannic, oaky. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Robust. Especially full mouthfeel for the style. The lack of head belies the active carbonation.

I drank a full 750 of this two nights ago, and I'm doing it again tonight. This is INSANELY drinkable for a 10% American Wild. Insane.

This is my second-favorite Russian River sour behind Supplication. Highly, highly recommended.

01-28-2010 04:49:34 | More by davod23
ShadesOfGray

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, corked and caged...batch #2, into a Chimay challice at a local restaurant. Pours a dark, deep red...crimson like, with a decent size off-white head that dissapates quickly. Appears to be a lot of carbonation still in this one, appearance is hazy...but can see fizzy bubbles constantly surfacing.

Great funky aroma! Definitely smells sour/Brett characteristics. There's also a solid sweet currant, and oaky aroma. Booze is a non-aroma-factor.

Wow! GREAT flavor. This is an incredible sour(American Wild Ale). While there's a definite sourness from the Brett/and resembling the sourness of cherries...or currants...there's a HUGE complimenting sweetness coming through from the fruit. A great combination for sure! Bottle say aged in Carbernet barrels; this is evident in the dry finish...but not too dry as to hurt the experience.

This is a solid beer! High carbonation, medium mouthfeel, funky and sweet flavor, LONG lasting sweet aftertaste...with a competing sourness! Drinkability is excelent. I finished the entire bottle in about an hour, and of course, as it warms to room temp, it's still AS enjoyable as the first pour/sip. GREAT beer!

03-27-2010 02:25:14 | More by ShadesOfGray
punkindrublic50

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Served on tap at the brewery, as well as in subsequent bottles. Absolutely lives up to the ratings. Pour is a dark amber with a rapidly thinning head, smell is complex and wonderful. Taste is phenomenal: not much of the currents that it is brewed with, but instead cherries and grapes, as well as a pleasant complex sour mouthful. Much more sour taste than funk. Completely drinkable, which you have to watch because at 10% alcohol this will knock you down quick. Can't taste the alcohol at all.

My favorite out of all the Russian River sours I've tried so far.

04-14-2010 18:05:46 | More by punkindrublic50
Mora2000

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Thanks to hophead101 for sending me this bottle.

Batch 001x1, sampled June 19, 2010.

The beer pours a clear dark red color with a white head. The aroma is awesome. I get lots of brown sugar, oak, vanilla and a low amount of tartness. The flavor is brown sugar, medium tartness, dark fruits, vanilla and oak. Medium carbonation and medium mouthfeel. This beer matured into a wonderful drink. It was tried alongside Sanctification, Temptation, Supplication and Beatification and I think this beer was easily the star of the show.

06-21-2010 04:22:28 | More by Mora2000
Brew33

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Consecration 375 ml bottle corked and caged received via trade. I was really impressed with Supplication so I traded for some more RR Wilds and this one was fantastic.

The color is is strange. In ambient light it looks ruby red but when put to direct light it shows amber and almost traces of orange. The aroma is very vinous, sour but not too sour. Tons of grape.

The flavor is damn near perfect. It's sour but the sour is just a part of the whole. It isn't dominant at all. It plays it's part. Lots of red wine flavor, the barrels impart the perfect amount of wood and wine flavors. I don't pick up a ton of fruit flavor but just an underlying sweetness. Unreal.

The mouthfeel and carb are spot on for the style and the drinkability was exceptionally high for the ABV and style. All in all, one of the best American Wild/Sours I've had. Incredible balance of flavors. Well done.

07-22-2010 12:42:50 | More by Brew33
DNICE555

Connecticut

200 hundredth review!!!! Poured into my delirium tremens tulip in the new apt

A: A red brown body with a white head that dies withing the first minute.

S: Vinegar, Granny Smith apples, grapes, sour patch kids, very vivid.

T: So complex. Vinegar, apples, sour patch kids, grapes, champagne.

M: Carbonation is very high at first. Bottle pops like a cap gun. Dies down very quickly and mellows out.

D: Nobody does IPAs and sours like RR. Damn. This is sour to die for.

09-05-2010 02:21:40 | More by DNICE555
Jemonster

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

A: Red-brown color. Fine carbonation. Like a light root beer color and slightly opaque. No head to speak of. Attractive.

S: Sour as expected with a currant scent. For someone who hasn't has currants, it's a sweet plum/fig/raisin smell. Very pleasant. With the wood scent, it can even be compared to sweet baked beans.

T: A sour smack in the face right from the start, which is great, since I like sour beers. This beer is sour, followed by tartness, followed by more puckering sourness. The currants can be tasted right as the beer passes my lips, but that is all. The yeast/bacteria combination delivers a crazy funkiness that tastes like nothing else I've ever had. There is barely any sweetness. I can't believe this is 10% ABV because I don't detect ANY alcohol.

M: Crisp and bubbly. I was expecting it to be heavier but it is fairly clean due to the acidity as well.

D: I would like to say I could drink these all day, but the acidity would probably wear out my tongue. Since I only have the privilege to drink one, I can only assume.

11-30-2010 02:05:30 | More by Jemonster
AndrewNations

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Reviewing from Notes. This whale , for me at least, was shared with me by a generous friend and new to trading techster82. It was his first sour and first beer trade.

A nice introduction to both Id say..

Batch001X4 - 750ml Caged and Corked.

A -Dark and Deep Red, Almost brown and fairly opaque. Very little head if any.

S - Lots of sourness, dark and sweet candy. I pick up some new fruit and slight oak as well.

T - Just amazing. I not completely versed in how these tend to age but I find the sourness fades a bit and the fruit becomes more evident. The currants, fig, and candy notes were outstanding and really stood up the brett/lacto nicely. The oak tends to develop nicely and become more prevalent with aging. It was only a bit but I felt like the oak was there on the finish. I was surprised it had any left but the carbonation was perfect.

M - Perfect. The carbonation wasn't low but just the way I prefer for this style.

What a great vintage and an even better way to share with friends. Thanks techster82

12-27-2010 14:42:12 | More by AndrewNations
cavemanlawyer

Oregon

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

On tap today at Saraveza in Portland.

While I will state up front that I prefer Supplication, having this on tap was a real treat. It is my #2 Russian River sour.

On the initial whiff, you get light sour cherry / , currant-sweetness . It is surprising how sweet it smells compared to the taste. You can detect hints of the funk and sour to come, but it takes a moment to develop. Nice and musty, complex, and very pleasant aroma.

My only complaint is that it is a bit effervescent, at least straight from the tap, which affects the mouth feel and taste just a bit. I found that by holding it in my mouth and swirling a bit, it really reduces tha carbonation and brings out the flavor.

It is impossible to tell this is 10% just by drinking it. No alcohol hits the palate whatsover. Amazing drinkability on this one.

Love this and all of the RR sours. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up...

01-28-2011 00:54:25 | More by cavemanlawyer
Trueant1

batch 5x 02

deep amber red with a nice thin white head.
Smells of old fermented apples and spice up front. Alcoholic in the nose as well. American wiskey and vanilla come through too.
Sour perfection on the first sip. Deeply sweet and sour! Estreme bitter with an alcoholic bite. Perfect in your face bitter/sour balance!
With such a bitter/sour taste, a nice fizzy champagne like mourthfeel to complement. Works and blends perfect as a result. Try this one, you will want to sip it again and again, than buy
another one to do it all over again!

02-01-2011 06:40:21 | More by Trueant1
avaccani

Batch 004X2

Poured into a New Belgium Tulip.

A - Pours a crystal clear Mahogany with a very small off white head that vanishes into a fine ring that follows the glass down.

S - I am getting some Brett funk, leather, barnyard, some dark fruit, figs, plum, and a touch of oak.

T - Sour, Tart, Puckering Tart, oakey, and fruity in that order. Sourness starts off on first sip, followed by a nice tartness that increases until it puckers you. Then some of the oak is shining through followed by the dark fruit. Simply amazing. An incredible showcase of flavors.

M - On firt glance your thinking full bodied, but this is really light on the tounge. Very deceiving on carbonation. The sourness makes you feel like it has alot of carbonic bite, when in reality it is very lightly carbed.

O - This is the best sour I have ever had. The complexity is overwhelming. This is so masterfully crafted that it rivals the finest Bordeaux blends. This should be on every beer lovers bucket list.

04-02-2011 01:24:32 | More by avaccani
Forb

Nebraska

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 375ml bottle; 10% ABV; batch 007...

Appearance: Pours a translucent ruby/brown body with a quickly dissipating off-white head. Lacing and retention are at a minimum.

Smell: Tart characters from combination of the Cabernet Sauvignon and currant additions. Almost makes me glands water just smelling it.

Taste: Definitely a sour ale with the wine characteristics clearly amplifying the approach. Tobacco notes from the malt blend with a dark fruit to create a complex balance of sour subtlety. No bite whatsoever from the alcohol!!

Mouthfeel: Carbonation like a champagne or sparkling wine finishing clean but not too dry.

Overall: He went from wine to beer... artist to artist! 10% ABV never tasted so... nonalcoholic?? Cheers!!

05-04-2012 02:39:21 | More by Forb
Bottlebomber

Imbibed from a Cabernet glass

A: a dark garnet red, no head whatsoever. No lacing on the glass. The bugs have decimated any head-forming proteins on this one. No flaws that I can think of considering the style.

S: Wow. Vanilla, oak, Cabernet Sauvignon, tobacco, cedar cigar box... Fruit. Prunes, plums, cherries. I could smell until it got warm trying to name all the smells coming off of this. Easily the most aromatic beer I have ever tried. More like wine than beer.

T: A sour for sour lovers. This is one of them tooth enamel grating beers. It takes a few sips to re-calibrate for this beer. My first reaction was not that it was delicious. It took me a full 3rd if the beer to get in the mood. And then, once my mouth became accustomed to the low PH, I started getting pulling out what this beer is famous for. Again the smell was so intoxicating that is is hard to tell where smells stop and flavors begin, but this beer has it all. Pie cherries dominant, balsamic vinegar, burnt sugar, stone fruit, dried cherries, currants( obviously), ever so faint of a biscuity malt character is the only indication that this is beer. It's almost overwhelming really. On the complete opposite side of the spectrum from Pliny. My only criticism - and this is a matter of personal preference - is that the beer could have been a couple of points sweeter. The bugs are going to do their worst and best to this so this is largely out of the brewers hands, and I know RR would never back sweeten, but I think just a touch more sweetness would have brought more out of the beer, and helped to moderate the sourness. No trace of ABV whatsoever, amazing considering 10%

M: Thin, dry, Puckery, but with a little silky smoothness.

O: This is not beer, it's wine. After I finished this I had to switch to wine for the night, there is no way to transition to an IPA or any kind of malt driven beverage after you have one of these. A masterpiece. Thank you.

06-20-2012 05:11:15 | More by Bottlebomber
Sandstone

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

02-17-2009 08:41:21 | More by Sandstone
humanawho

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

A - nice deep red color with a very active head of cream and good lacing but dies away quickly

S - lots of fruit aromas including currents, grapes and some strawberries there is also a woody component that balances the sweet aroma of the fruit

T - again a lot of fruit with currents and strawberries and blueberries with a great but light sour component and again some clean woody, leathery flavors

M - a little thin on the mouth and somewhat weak carbonation

D - amazing drinkablity with just the touch of sour and no way to tell its high in alcohol

02-26-2009 00:03:22 | More by humanawho
Grabbin2nd

From Notes: 4/19/09
Russian River Brewing Co.
Consecration 2008 Batch #001X3
10% Abv.
750ml into NB Snifter

Appearance=Poured a big 2 finger head, which quickly dissipated. Redish, black beer with a lot of carbonation.

Smell= Awesome! Oak, Cab, green apples, yeast.

Taste= Awesome! Sour, yet not overpowering. Very, very tasty!

Mouthfeel= Thin side, good carbonation and a lively mouthfeel. Almost perfect...

Drinkability= High. Extremely good. Alcohol is hidden nicely. Taste is awesome. Nose is awesome. What more could you want?

05-15-2009 16:56:10 | More by Grabbin2nd