2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Ratings: 3,154 | Reviews: 1,004 | Show All Ratings:
madtowndmb1

Wisconsin

On-tap at R.R. I've never given out a perfect score till now!

A: A great cross between a wine and a beer. It's a ruby red like a Cab but has the transparency of a beer. No head

S: Tart cherries, oak and Wine. I thought it was just oak-aged but the brewery says aged in Cabrenet barrels. You can tell and I loved it!

T: From the first sip I feel in love with this beer. The tartness of the cherries reminds me of the Belgian Red from N.G. but that's where it ends. Then it transitions to an interesting wild ale taste that totally works. I get a lot of wine sharpness in the finish and man it's fantastic!

The mouthfeel and drinkability speak for themselves. I would happily drink these till I couldn't see anymore and damn near did! This was there best beer in my opinion! Other than the price there is nothinhg wrong with this beer in my opinion! One of the best beers (better than Abyss and KBS) I've ever had!

02-23-2009 21:03:23 | More by madtowndmb1
mykie73

Oregon

3.8/5  rDev -15%

on tap at Saraveza.

EDIT: this was for batch 1; batch 2 and 3 are much better.

A dark reddish brown with no lacing. See-through, can not tell if there is a lot of carbonation from looking at glass.

S lots of tart cherries, wine funk and oak notes.

T Delicious. wine, citrus, and oak is present. very tart at first and then sour on finish. quite enjoyable.

M) Feels great can't complain on the feel of it. Consistent to what a sour should be. Sourness/puckering feeling is enjoyable.

D) I could drink a lot of this but due to how pricey it is I think I'll invest in bottling other sours. Glad I got a few bottles but glad I did not purchase an entire case. It will be very interesting to see how this one ages. A bit over hyped but quite delicious and an enjoyable experience.

02-21-2009 00:22:51 | More by mykie73
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev -2%

The latest from Russian River showed up in Portland this week; as far as I know, Saraveza was the first to tap their 1/6 barrel. Got an 8 oz. pour (into a regal PBR goblet!) this evening after work..."only" $5!

A: Arrives at the table a still-looking ruddy brown, a barely sudsy ring of white clinging around the edges. I suspect there's etching in the glass causing this effect, but a surprisingly cool/mesmerizing swirl in the gauzy head forms a 'cloverleaf' shape to appear. Lace is creamy, but too slippery to stick for more than a couple seconds, leaving a scattershot array of speckles.

S: Has a familiar 'funky' tartness, but doesn't strike mme as terribly strong. Vinous fruit (vaguely 'grape' or crab apple), light oak, citrus rind and fleeting candy sweetness. A light vinegar, sweet and malty, makes me ponder what Consecration would be like over fish & chips.

T: Woody tang covers a notably tart fruit, the tannic currant represents well. Has an earthen berry flavor throughout, a musty fruit punch. A little cider like, akin to apple mash, with a twist of zesty citrus: lime? As it warms, becomes a bit sweeter: doughy malt and a pinch of brown sugar.

M: Luscious medium-full thickness. Not as acidic as it could be, but has a modest enamel-scraping potency. Curls the tongue and seems to linger in odd places, between the cheek and gums in particular. Low alcohol warmth, pretty smooth for the style.

D: Not gonna say this is the greatest thing I've ever had, but it's tasty. Damn tasty. Surprisingly easy to drink, with a nice level of tart/sweet 'refreshment'. Complex enough to sit and savor, enjoyable enough to have another, even two (if it weren't 10%). Glad to have tried this on draught, will age a bottle or two to see what develops.

02-20-2009 05:08:29 | More by msubulldog25
PDXHops

South Carolina

2.5/5  rDev -44.1%

8 oz pour served on tap in a chalice at Saraveza.

Not much to look at. Barely any bubbles at all, let alone head. Dark reddish amber, almost brown see-through body. Zero lacing.

Things get more interesting right away with the first sniff. Massive tart/sour fruit- cherry, fermenting wine- and vinegar smells up front. Once it warms up, small hints of other aromas appear: oak, some sweetness and a teaser of the brett to come. Quite interesting.

In the mouth, the sour flavors once again dominate at first, but things develop quickly as the beer warms up. Some of these things are more pleasant than others. Sour cherryish flavors on the edges of the tongue, overwhelming nasty brett funkiness up the middle as I swallow (I have cultivated an appreciation for milder funkiness that complements the other flavors in a beer, but the brett is simply too strong here for my taste). Hints of sweet currant and oak all around. Sour lingering aftertaste. The brett basically ruins this beer for me.

The moderate-light carbonation is certainly more than I would have thought based on the looks of it. Really makes all that sourness tingle all over the tongue. Dry and sour finish leaves me wanting a sip of water after every swallow. Probably would have rated the feel a lot higher if the brett didn't linger all over the palate threatening to activate my gag reflex.

Drinkability is not good. I like the sourness, but the overpowering brett nastiness severely limits extended enjoyment for me.

Overall impression: Definitely doesn't live up to the hype for me. Hopefully the Supplication and Temptation I recently traded for are better. This much brett has no place in beer! (at least not the beer going into this mouth)

02-19-2009 22:39:10 | More by PDXHops
kleffman

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

First had this beer in Santa Rosa when I left a bar I was in telling my girlfriend I "had to go to the bathroom" but I really went down the street to Russian River. Incredible decision making.

Pours a clear reddish amber color with little head. Aromas of sour fruit, woody tannins and wine characters blend well with dark sour fruit flavors, oak and red wine. A drying, tart finish full of wonderfully balanced flavors rounds it out very well. High drinkability for a beer that is 10% alcohol. You would never know it. I could drink an awful lot of this beer, and thankfully have had it 3 times now. Fantastic.

02-19-2009 06:35:36 | More by kleffman
Sandstone

4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

Another Russian River homerun.

Having long been a lover of sours, I couldn't have been more excited to try this beer. Thankfully my girlfriend indulged me and we made the pilgrimage up to Toronado's for Russian River TION night.

The first sip of this beer, I knew I was in for something special. I've had beers that tried to toe the line between beer and wine before (Craftsman's Cabernale... I'm looking at you) but never have I had one that did it this successfully.

I took a sip and handed it to my girlfriend, the wine snob to my beer geek, and waited for her verdict.

"Wow, this is really good."

"Yeah, I know!"

Trying to describe this beer, it is just so difficult to do it justice. The flavors are many and layered. Probably one of the most complex beers I've ever had.

My attempt: Notes of black currant, sour cherry, oak, all with a perfect touch of acid and funk that compliments the beer, rather than defines it.

This is going to be a tough beer to find, but trust me, the search will be worth it. This is one of those breakthrough beers that really pushes a new style to the forefront.

02-17-2009 08:41:21 | More by Sandstone
HopHead84

4.7/5  rDev +5.1%

On tap at Russian River. A silly bar pour leaves the beer nearly spilling out of the glass. No head. The beer is a dark, dark reddish purple.

The nose is of tart raspberries and plums with a touch of vinegar. The currants work very nicely in the beer. This is reminiscent of the Toronado 20th. There are faint alcohol notes, but it relatively well hidden for 10%. Much like the aroma, the flavor is of ripe, tart raspberries and those delicious currants again. There is a nice medium level of sourness to Consecration. The finish is dry and slightly puckering, with just a touch of alcohol.

This is a medium-full bodied sour with low carbonation. The mouthfeel is vinous. This is the closest thing I've had to Toronado. I'd love to do a side by side comparison of the two. The alcohol is well hidden, which leads to a damn drinkable strong sour. I'm glad I stocked up on this.

02-17-2009 06:52:41 | More by HopHead84
DoubleJ

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

A brand new Russian River sour, and one that's high in alcohol. Had some on-tap at Verdugo Bar in Los Angeles. On to the beer:

Poured into a tulip, Consecration is a dark red-violet beer with little head retention, leaving no lacing on the glass, but the latter wasn't expected from much. The aroma is a beautiful thing. Sweet vinegar, akin to what you'd find in ketchup or barbecue sauce. Pickel juice. Notes of oak and barrel. Slight underlying sweetness underneath it.

My first impression of the taste was it was very intensely acidic upfront. But what sour isn't acidic? Bits of tartness show through, as do assorted, overripened fruits. There's a long lasting, pleasant aftertaste of vinegar on the palate. The high alcohol presents a faint, but noticable boozy aspect with a sharp pinch towards at the back of the line.

A good sour, but I'm not as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. But I have had heard several accounts say the bottled version is ten times better than the draft version I sampled Maybe I need to sample the bottle someday for its optimal performance.

02-13-2009 17:13:53 | More by DoubleJ
MiScusi

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Served in a Chimay chalice at Hollingshead's Deli.

There is nothing glamorous about this beer's appearance. It's murky maroon'ish brown looking but there's nothing really off putting about it either, hence it's fine. What my nose and tongue pick up is a very sour cherry-like presence. This is followed by a dry tannic finish, very woody. The high alcohol is not really noticeable and the mouthfeel is a pretty light consistency. This beer is so easy to drink it's dangerous at 10%.

02-11-2009 06:19:22 | More by MiScusi
aforbes10

Iowa

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

On tap at Russian River. Pours dark, but not cloudy, just shimmering and purple to deep red. Almost no head, just a ring of light purple bubbles. Smells of tart cherries, red wine esters, alcohol. Nose is rich and inviting. Taste is supremely delicious. Sour, wine-like fruit flavor...lots of tart cherries, lip smackin'! Chocolate malt lingers beneath, but the feature is the big sourness that's just everywhere. I also get some currants and raspberries in there too. Sourness doesn't decrease much as i drink more, which i've found to be the case with other sours, it just sticks around and makes every sip a great and interesting experience. Drinks like a dream...a fantastic and memorable beer.

02-09-2009 19:12:23 | More by aforbes10
bifrostguard

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

A - Deep burgundy in color with almost no head or lacing to speak of. The light that did make it through highlighted the deep red color and made it interesting to look at.

S - Currants, cherries, mild funk, wood and awesome. I had a good feeling after smelling this one.

T - Yeah. It's good. Not really a big fan of sours but I thought Consecration was the best of the style I have had. Not overly sour or sweet. Currants keep the flavor in check on the fruity side allowing me to be able to pick out vinegar, brown sugar and wood flavors as well. Some notes of tobacco, leather and wine are noted as well.

M - Much like a good wine. Medium bodied and only slightly drying.

D - Effing awesome at the bar. I gave this a perfect as it made me think twice about getting another Younger, but it ultimately lost. I will have this every chance I get.

02-04-2009 04:20:05 | More by bifrostguard
antilogic

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a Chimay Goblet, with Vinne himself.

Color was a dark burgundy red, aroma had wine and fruit notes. Taste was great. Not too sour, very drinkable, lots of wine characteristics, dark fruit, kurants or cherries. Medium in body, light, if any head, almost no alcohol noticeable for 10%, delicious! I'll be trying to get a few bottles of this one...

02-02-2009 05:58:11 | More by antilogic
paytoplay

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Heavy influence of currants and cabernet / oak flavors. Blue and red berry fruits. Cassis, seemless and very balanced. Long finish and almost thick silky texture. Zero alc noticable. Tried from Keg at O'Briens Russian River nite. Not sure aging this would be helpful in developing more complexities?

02-01-2009 00:16:17 | More by paytoplay
Halcyondays

3.75/5  rDev -16.1%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours darker than a beet red, with a small cap of white foam.

S: Got some interesting cherry and wine notes, but wanted a bit more. Some chocolate in there too.

T: Heavy balsamic vinegar and wine character, almost had a rancid fruit characteristic, in a good way though. Fig and dark fruit notes. Not light on the funk. Sweetness comes out in the finish to the beer which I liked. Not the greatest flavour for me, but certainly interesting.

M: Upfront acidity, then the mouthfeel lightens up a bit, a little too thin at times.

D: An intriguing beer from Russian River. I don't think I liked it as much as everyone around me did, but I enjoyed trying it.

Edit - I've had this beer a few times since the original review, still not wowed, but I've found myself liking it more and more. Upping the taste score to a 4 (from 3.5).

01-31-2009 05:16:29 | More by Halcyondays
Georgiabeer

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks so much to Grant for sharing this wonderful growler with me, RustyDiamond, Brickstoredave, Ding, Atlantabeerdog, and SaintNathanial. Absolutely delicious and a great pleasure to drink this with friends. Poured a garnet tinged amber with a slight head. Beautiful color. Lovely aromas of cherries and ruby Port, with some astringency on the finish. Tastes tremendously complex with cherries, a little bit of funk, quite loamy and bitter- not horseblanket funk, but an earthier, forest funk. Quite astringent and a bit of sweet licorice on the finish. Dark and brooding with wildly interesting flavors. Quite intriguing. Smooth, tannic, and sour in the mouth. Utterly delicious and fascinating and extremely easy to drink despite the high abv.

01-25-2009 02:26:58 | More by Georgiabeer
ralflord

Connecticut

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Thanks Dyan

Oh my fucking god is this a great fucking beer!! Poured into a double bastard glass. The lacing was tight with a smallish head. Beautiful amber color, with a wonderful sour and wine smell.

The taste was amazing. The beer, sour and wine flowed together in perfect balance. I loved the sour aftertaste.

The drinkability was off the charts, even though this is a high alcoholic beer. I could drink this all night.

Amazing beer!

01-15-2009 05:14:02 | More by ralflord
tpd975

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Huge thanks goes out to Gillard for coming through with this gem.

A: Pours a brillant amber hue that is flat in color and appearence. No head at all with zero lace. Good for the style.

S: The aromas are bold and big on wine. Tons of sour red fruit with hints of sweet tarts, funk, and cherry juice. Inviting.

T: The sweet tarts come thru as does a bit of crushed aspirin. Beneath that is a wonderful mix of red fruit that is heavy on the cherries. Winey sourness pushes thru along with bits of wood, and vineous qualities. Yummy.

M: Medium in body, a bit sharp on the tongue with a dry finish.

D: I had several glasses.

12-29-2008 22:32:08 | More by tpd975
OStrungT

4.53/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a dark mohogany color. My wife said it has a slight purple tint to it, but I didnt see it. I might need glasses though. It boasts a light tan head. The head fades slowly, leaving a nice lacing.

This beer has a mild tart aroma. I can smell some grapes also. It smells wine like, probably because it is aged in wine barrels, you think? It also smells slightly fruity, with some cherry and black currants. A slight oaky aroma is also present.

This beer tastes just like it smells. Tart, and a little sour, with a slight fruity flavor of grapes, cherries and black currants.

This beer hides the alcohol well. It leaves a tart aftertaste. Carbonation is perfect.

This beer would probably not be the best session beer. It is high in alcohol, and it is easy to forget that since it is so easy to drink.

Overall: This beer is yet another outstanding wild ale from Vinnie and Russian River. I love it, as I expected. If you ever get the chance, do not hesitate to try this beer.

12-23-2008 22:32:17 | More by OStrungT
Floydster

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Growler from the brewery, I was stoked that my buddy Dane brought this back for me on his trip home from San Francisco, damn it was expensive though, split with my dad, poured into my New Belgium snifter, color was a dark red with some purple tint, minimal bubbly tannish head that went away quickly, no lacing, smell was black currants, raspberries, cherries, brett, oak, mild booze, toffee, sugar, and tart, flavor was great and you could not taste the ten percent at all, starts off with a nice sour bite, soft carbonation allows the grapes and cherry flavor to really come out in the middle, musty earthiness in the finish with more tart, like how this one feels at the end, mellows as it warms but nice sugary fruit work well with the sourness, mouthfeel is full and rounded, thicker body for a sour with a lower level of carbonation, taste lingers very well, easiest drinking ten percent beer out there, feel free to argue if you disagree, could have finished the jug off myself, not heavy on the stomach, somehow refreshing which is incredible for how strong it is, those red wine barrels did wonders to this one, Vinnie does not brew a bad sour and one thing is for sure, I will buying numerous bottles when this stuff is finally released outside of the pub, highly recommended

12-20-2008 04:07:58 | More by Floydster
ATLbeerDog

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Pours a root beer color with almost no head (from a growler). The small head that is there quickly dissipates. The heavy aroma of sourness has me sniffing for a tad longer than usual. First sip is a puckering sour with wild yeast notes completely in charge. A wine flavor slips through the bitterness. Even with a somewhat low carbonation, the mouthfeel here is excellent. Truly an amazing beer. WOW!

12-14-2008 17:22:33 | More by ATLbeerDog
gford217

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Growler courtesy of Strelnikov poured into a goblet.

Pours a deep, clear copper with a decent bubbly cream head that dissipated quickly to a thin collar.

The aroma is wonderfully complex with the slightly sharp currant sweetness on top of a sugary sweetness. The barrel characteristics are also present with hints of vanilla in the nose. The brett is there to lend an ever-so-slight sourness with a complementary earthy funk in the background.

The taste seems to be a more complex and balanced version of the nose. The sweetness hits up front with the light tartness of the currants balanced by the underlying sugars. The brett makes its presence felt but the finish is very vinous with the oak playing a role as well.

The mouthfeel is lightly carbonated and very wine-like with a dry finish and bits of funk throughout.

This is a fantastic beer and one of the better sours I've had the opportunity to try. It's superbly well balanced and extraordinarily drinkable for the ABV. Highly recommended.

12-13-2008 03:53:23 | More by gford217
hopdog

On tap.

Poured a dark brown color with a smaller sized off white head. Aromas of dark fruits -dark cherries-, berries, chocolate, and wood. Tastes of grape skins, dark cherries, wood, lightly vinous, chocolate, and funky. Softer body. Nice tart finish.

Wow, I wish I could get a lot more of this one!!!

12-09-2008 03:50:36 | More by hopdog
WeisGuy

On-tap at the brewpub.

a - a dark brown color with a purplelish hue, modest white head with moderate lacing, lots of bubbles on the side and rising to the top

s - good deal of sweet dark berries and some oak along with some sour notes

t - tastes almost like a slightly less sweet and more sour grape kool-aid with some 7-Up thrown in for carbonation, but that doesn't do this beer justice, much more complex with strong oak notes thrown in, maybe it was just the fact that I knew it was aged in cabernet barrels, but the grape and oak definitely came through strong, the sourness was moderate and not as strong as, for example, Beatification or Sanctification, the alcohol really isn't noticeable at all, which is surprising given the 10% abv

m - medium-bodied, fuller bodied than other RR sours, good amount of carbonation, sourness is a little drying on the palate, but the sweetness balances that pretty well

d - quite drinkable despite the 10% advertised abv, the sourness is definitely not as strong and overwhelming on the palate as the other RR sours, particularly the Sanctification that was also on tap tonight, quite complex which keeps the beer interesting for several servings, overall, amazingly drinkable for a 10% abv sour ale

An extremely good beer overall. I haven't reviewed a beer in awhile, but this one warranted a formal review. I didn't find this one quite as good as Beatification (one of my top 3 beers ever), but it's not far behind. The cabernet barrel aging is very well done in that it lends complexity and character to the beer without totally overwhelming all other flavors. It'll be great to see this in bottles eventually.

11-29-2008 06:06:03 | More by WeisGuy
GClarkage

4.47/5  rDev 0%

11/15/08- Had on tap at the Bistro Barrel Aged fest in Hayward, CA.

Presentation- Via the tap into small taster size glasses.

Appearance- Auburn colored pour, slightly murky but ultra fine yeast sightings if any. No real head and slight lace remnents.

Smell- Large amount of sour berries and lots of brett sourness and barnyard notes.

Taste- Unlike other supperb Wild Ales by RR, this one has some serious depth. Or at least thickness and a more fruity base other than just sourness. Cherry, raspberry, blackberry...can't really tell what berry (although I think it's cherry). Very sour with sharp acidic flavor. Winelike taste due to the cab barrels used for aging. Almost seems like some mild sweetness trys to creep in, but can't get it's head through the door.

Mouthfeel- Very full mouthfeel for a Wild Ale. Sharp and ultra clean with a medium crisp carbonation level.

Drinkability- Right up there with all the other Wild Ales Vinnie brews, one of my new favorites. Winner of the fest IMO.

11-17-2008 20:49:53 | More by GClarkage
iowaherkeye

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

On tap @ Russian River. Hot damn am I happy to see this on the chalkboard.Clear ruby brown with a small beige head, fading to a thin ring before long, and swrved in a snifter. Big oak and red wine nose up front with the vinegar and sour apple notes next. Buttery brett and leather peak out stronger as I nose this, and it's hard to pick out the sweet dark fruit that is Salvation in the base beer. Whoo! Flavor is full of tons of sour fruits and berries with a definite dry red wine and oak finish. Sour factor peaked ~ a 6-7,and I wanted to add there was some low earthy bitterness in the backend as well. I'm hard-pressed to find any Salvation in this. Full body with light prickly carbonation--just a little warming in the belly implies the 10%. Really effing good--looks like my Iowa homies are getting one pricey growler!

11-12-2008 07:17:42 | More by iowaherkeye