Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 1,610
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,088 | Hads: 4,801
4.82/5  rDev +9.3%

Deep dark cola brown pour with 1/2" of khaki head on top. Lots of active carbonation in the glass. Aromas of dark Belgian malts exhibiting brown sugar and tobacco accents. Cabernet and black currants combine in a great unity. Woody barrel accents weave in and out as Brett funk kicks in with mild sourness and a puff of alcohol. Deeply complex.

First sip brings semi sweet dark malts with a hint of earthy tobacco moving to dark berry / black currant and lush Cabernet wine flavors. Quite woody overall with oak barrel tannins rushing through. Acidic tones move in with Brett funk as it flows down and puckers with sourness in the mouth. Lingering tones of red wine and currants. Wow, just wow. Simply divine.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a crisp smoothness that runs throughout each sip. Good, steady carbonation throughout. A contemplative sipper of a beer...let it meander it's way across your palate with each sip to get as many as the nuances as possible. Complex, tasty and a masterpiece of the brewing and barrel aging art. Chalk this up to one of my favorite Russian River creations yet!

4.58/5  rDev +3.9%

Draught, Catalyst Coffee. Light brown color. Full, layered foam. Nose is perhaps the weakest point of the beer, but still hints of funk, wood, dark fruit. Flavor is amazing. Complex, integrated, beautifully balanced. Notes of cranberry, currant, blackberry and wood. A beauty and one to put away.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

I had this at RR but more recently on tap at Local 44.

a - reddish hue, not much head, whispy. It's not completely opaque but it is dark.

s - sour. The great type of sour from RR. A bit acid, a bit sulfur, a bit "hairy"

t - wow. It's sour, not hugely sour, but assertively sour. There are a lot of wine characteristics in this one, tannin, grape type flavors. It's delicously balanced and very enjoyable. It's not too sour to keep drinking.

m - pretty high carbonation, sour isn't quite puckering but it's close.

d - pretty high, I could drink several but acid reflux would probably kick in. It's a bit pricy to be very drinkable though ;)

3.81/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at the Local 44 in Philly yesterday.

The beer pours a darkish brown color with minimal head retention and fair lacing. The nose on this beer is its best feature, IMHO, with a complex aroma of black currents, wine, vanilla and sour funk. On the palate... sigh... this beer is just over the top sour for me. I get a hint of wine and black currents, along with some light vanilla, but the overwhelming flavor component to this beer is sour funk. There is an intense vinegar/sour wine flavor to this beer, with a huge rush of sour in the finish. My tolerance and appreciation for sour beers has improved over the past year, but I just think the brett in this beer is over the top, with the sour overwhelming and dominating everything else. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a long finish, and the alcohol is very well hidden. However, the excessive sour component really wore me out in the end, and IMHO it really hurts this beer's drinkability.

Glad I had a chance to try this one, but once was enough for me.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 3 on draft at Local 44's Russian River Philly Beer Week Event

A: Rich mahogany color body with a shimmering silkiness to it... solid khaki colored head, which receded to a nice cap which last throughout... some lacing lingers

S: Sweet, sour, tart. Its all there... Dried red fuits (think plums, grapes, various berries)... sour cherries... earthy leathery brett goodness

T: Cherries are the overwhelming characteristic. Nice sour and tart combinations of the fruits. Clearly aged in cabernet, there is a strong dense tannic characteristics and even a hint of pepper. Brett and bacteria are clearly present in a hearty but refined showing.

M: Almost like a sparkling juice that has sat out for an hour. Still some carbonation, but not out of control.

D: Super duper.

This remind me a lot of supplication with the most noticeable difference for me being the different wine barrels the two beers are aged in. I like what the cab does to amp this beer up. You know, I wish an east coast brewer made some sours of this caliber... that way I wouldn't have to either pay an arm and a leg or wait months to find them.

3.85/5  rDev -12.7%

Russian River- Consecration

A- Deep plum reddish purple with a good foamy head.
S- Sweet red grapes, plums, sour mix and scoops of sugar.
T- Sour red grapes, black currant, plums, and a sour citrus.
M- Very sour and dry. Sweet sugary fruit finish.

Overall- good sour dry feel with a nice black currant flavor. 1 or 2 would be good at dessert.

4.8/5  rDev +8.8%

A- pours a nice dark brown with not much head or lacing
S- like red wine, grapes, faint sugar, and a little bret notes
T- awesome, very dry, tasted like it was aged in wine barrels , it reminded me of a dryer less sweet version of Goudenband
M- nice, a little on the flat side, but it worked, def not skunky or at all out of date, refreshing
D- wow this one is ten percent... couldnt pick out the extra abv, i would have guessed like 6 %.. awesome

a def sipper, along with Ommegang Rouge the best interpretation of a Belgian "Sour" that I have had... just remarkable

2.12/5  rDev -51.9%

Poured beautifully, an opaque red mellowing to a rose at the bottom of the tulip glass. Small head.

Smells lilke wine and vinegar.

A very strong and intense sour flavor even for a style where strong flavor is to be expected and valued. There is a high level of carbonation. Cough syrup start then finishes with hints of sour yogurt.Tastes like fizzy balsamic vinegar.
I have tried a number of these beers in the last year or two but this one is in a league of it's own. If you like sour, go for it but if you are not devoted to this style try something less intense. I couldn't finish it.

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

2011 update...

Only two years later this beer is no longer aged for 9 months and (try half the time) and also no longer has the depth of flavor and character I used to find in it. Still good but The spicy chocolate notes which I used to enjoy (in the background) no longer show up... It is now highly acidic (as it was) and not too much more...

Picked this one up without fully knowing what I was getting myself into. Im still not real sure what the story on the beer is but it is suffice to say that this is very rare. It better be at $20 for a 750ml.

This beer pours a deep cherrywood color, and has an offwhite colored head. It has tightly concentrated bubbles, and good head retention.

The aroma pours out of the nose of the bottle as soon as you pop the cork. Sour cherry, and red fruit overwhelm but some spice notes get through as well.

This stuff is very intense it has a very tightly concentrated sour flavor that will take you by surprise if your not ready for it. Very sour up front, and then the flavor spreads out a bit. The 10 ABV is completely hidden by red fruit and spice. After sipping it for a while, your mouth adjusts to the intensity and if you like sour style beers this will do the trick. I wonder how it will age, I feel that with some time the beer will mellow out some and perhaps be more approachable. All things considered, this one is very unique and worth the 20 bones.

750 ML into a tulip

P: Golden brown from the bottle, and sits a crimson-soaked plum in the glass. The tall head is light tan, loose and frothy with bubbles frolicking happily about for what seemed like an eternity! It finally sank to form a thick cap on the surface. Looks very good!

A: Deliciously powerful aroma that could clear even the most congested nasal passages. Cherries, cranberries, plums, and grapes are all here. Also, I can definitely smell the Cabernet in there along with that pungeant barnyard funk.

T: Wow! Tart cherries from the jump just explode onto the scene along with dried cranberries, juicy raspberries, and green apple skins that lend their sourness in tongue-puckering fashion. Plums and grapes lay underneath for some sweet fruitiness that provides a nice contrast to the sourness. That beautiful Brett funkiness hits hard in the middle, lending a flavor that reminds me of pungeant cheese. Alcohol is undetectable in ethanol form, but the cabernet flavors add to an already great profile. Awesome!

M & D: Consecration sports a medium-light body that feels like champagne. Nice prickly bubbles dance on the tongue from the rather high carbonation. Drinkability is good as I really enjoyed every drop of this bottle, but I couldn't have another. This one deserves to be savored!

Notes: Damn! This is one hell of a ride! Very fruity, very sour, very funky, very intoxicating, and very good. Another perfect example of why people go ape-shit over Vinnie's concoctions. If you love sours, you owe it to yourself to get a hold of this one! Highly recommended

A loud pop when the cork popped.
Poured into a medium sized tulip glass.
Small head that disappeared quickly

The color was like a golden red, it looked heavenly.

The smell is remarkable! One of the most complex smells of any beer I have tried. It smelled like a fine cabernet sauvignon wine. Slightly sour, currants.

The flavor explodes the second it hits your lips! Such a remarkable complicated flavor,.. but in a good way. Tastes like a rich wed wine, sour, fruity, slight hints of vanilla.

Someone else reviewing this beer said that it has champagne like carbonation, I think that is pretty accurate. A little wetter though.

Extremely drinkable! I would not mind drinking on this year around. Every sip is fulfilling and rewarding. Complete perfection.

If you are lucky enough to get your hands on this you will not be dissapointed

4.6/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Let the first Consecration experience begin.

Let it warm a little in the 750 ml and finally popped the top, went in for a sniff and was met by foam slowly pouring out and directly into the nostril and some on the floor. If I didn't have four more bottles I would have been pissed.

Pours a beautiful burgundy red and also a little brown with a nice small ring of foam around the snifter.

A slight vinegar aroma with whiffs of cherry as well. Currants are also present. Awesome!

Whoa! The taste is something I have never experienced before. Off the first sip I have a brain explosion of different things. There are so many things going on with this beer that it is hard to express. I taste subtle vinegar, cherries and a lil ol school funk. There is a slight acidity on the swallow but not unpleasant in the slightest. Very complex but amazing! It makes my mouth water at the finish...almost making me want to drink more to satisfy the craving. I oblige.

The drinkability for me is very high as the alcohol hides well in this beer for a 10%er.

Awesome, amazing beer that everyone should try at least once for the experience. This beer deserves the praises and ratings it has received. Very well done from one of my favorite Nor Cal breweries.

4.26/5  rDev -3.4%

Don't know where to start, other than: holy cow this is a heck of a beer! Beautiful brick red--and though not fined or filtered to my understanding, certainly was quite clear. TONS of red fruit in this one, and I keep coming back to cranberry in both the nose and mouth. Nice and tart, no perception of alcohol, phenomenal bacteria cultures smelling of heaven for wild freaks like me. Extremely tight and very present carbonation--champagne like in character, and probably a function of slow, cool fermentation at the hands of a master craftsman. CO2 tightness could trick you into tasting mineral content in this one. But that's about the only wine reference I'd make: there really isn't cab character here, and the only fruit I get is coming from that added by the brewer and not from grapes. Moreover, the mouthfeel is very much so a light sparkler and not a muscular cab or tannic or hoppy brew. And this is a good thing! Nor is there overwhelming oak: the barrels were either neutral or only lightly toasted, or washed. Either way, big thumbs up for selecting barrels that let the beer shine. It's clearly paying to come from a family of winemakers and have friends in the biz (both for barrel sources and experience with oak).

More recent bottles indicate some signs of wine oxidation/stewed fruit. Nevertheless, if you consider yourself a sour fiend and enjoy fruited ales, do yourself a favor and seek this one out. Killer beer!

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%

Served at the brewery on PTY release day 2-2-09.
Batch 2

A- Red hue with whiskey like body. Heaven help you if that's what you expect.

S- Sour grapes, lime, a touch of rum.

T- Tart cherries, sour patch kids, mold, oaky finish compared to batch 1.

M- Crisp and Clean.

D- IF you like sours this 10% beauty will bathe you in joy and happiness. It makes me smile.

Images of Friar Tuck and RobinHood flow from the glass. Just think of making a sour mead between battles with the sheriff of Nottingham. Arrows and barrels everywhere, the beer conjurs such strong emotion response.

Let us fight a revolution for the Hop Nation.

Keep in mind I wrote this at the brewery towards the end of a very long Russian River day. Thought I should re-write it a month later and laugh about it again.

750 ml poured into a Bruery tulip glass

A- A beautiful almost totally opaque amber. Very hard to see through unless right next to a light.

S- Richly textured plums and currants; the Cabernet comes through very strongly. Like smelling a fruity, carbonated Cab.

T - Ahhh. Wow. Sour currants, some dark cherry, and maybe hints of plum. Perfectly balanced.

M/D- Really solid - the carbonation matches very well. Light, crisp feel that seems like a combination between a fine Cab Sav and a fantastic beer. I could drink this all day.... try it with some Jalapeno jack cheese.

4.06/5  rDev -7.9%

A- This was a 6oz pour in chalice with almost no head. Dark cranberry red in color. This looks tasty.

S- There really isn't much of a smell, but there is a slight metallic smell, with a bit of a slight acid smell.

T- This is where the magic happens. Very tasty, loads of sour cherry, with a touch of the currants. As this warms up its more of a sour Cabernet Sovereign. For me the sourness is tasty and mostly cherry.

M- Great feeling mouthfeel, good amount of carbination, not too much but just exactly what you would want.

D- Very easy to drink, almost too drinkable. But after 3 6oz glasses it does start to get a bit heavy in your stomach, but it is still tasty to say the least and super drinkable for 10%.

4.75/5  rDev +7.7%

Corked and Caged 750ml bottle. Batch 001x2. Very loud noise upon pulling the cork, look out!! Poured into an oversized wine glass.

A. Had a reddish brown color to it with a thin head that reseeded quickly. No lacing.

S. Sour smell with red wine hints and currants

T. This was my first ever sour and its quite amazing, I must say. This definitely got better as it warmed. Just an explosion of red grapes, sour notes and wood notes. Very complex.

MF. Champagne like carbonation to it.

D. This is a highly drinkable beer, can hardly even taste the alcohol. This was an amazing beer for me, definitely gonna be looking for many more sours now. Well worth the 23 dollar price tag.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours from caged and corked 750 ML bottle(Batch 001X2) a clear amber brown with a very spritzy head of foam. When it's spritzy, I know it's not going to last very long and it didn't. The bubbles surfacing to the top are keeping a small island afloat, so to speak. Hehe..the foam reminds me of pixels on a computer screen...

The smell is just as I remember from the samples I had at last year's GABF...Cabernet Sauvignon notes dominate with big notes of vanilla and oak and fruit that *is* currants. I love red currants on buttered toast and the smell here totally reminds me of that.

The taste is deliciously both sweet and tart up front. Maybe a bit more intense than I remember from the 1 oz samples but hey, I love that it is and I love the fact that I now have 25.4 oz, give or take a few as I've just taken a few sips, to take my time with and savour. The foam is now gone but I can still see the lively carbonation throwing up....errr...tossing...err..the bubbles are still making their way to the top nearly smack damn in the center of the glass.
Back to the taste. I'm now getting a pretty big kick from the Brett(sorry, I have a hard time spelling it out) and I'd be amiss if I didn't say there's a fair amount of caramel malt here, hence my first sentance on taste. Gee wiz this is so damn tasty and there's so much going on with the flavours, I can't describe them all properly.

Medium mouthfeel and pretty high carbonation, a plus in my book, it finishes with big sour and Brett notes. Wonderful!

Drinkability? 10%abv and I cannot taste it or feel it during or after the swallow. No warming for me at all but I *know* that when I finish this big bottle, I'll feel that all is right with the world, if that makes any sense. ;^)

Bottom line: A superb! American Wild Ale that I fell in love with from my very first sip. A must try for anyone who favours the style!

Finally..a big Thank You goes out to The Wine Underground in Englewood CO for making this available online!

4.72/5  rDev +7%

My folks brought this back from their "Wine" tour in norther CA along with a few select beers.

Uncorked a 750 ml bottle with my bro-in-law over the weekend and decanted the brew into a couple of oversize wine glasses. It pours a ruby brown and is capped by a finger of off white head that dissipates to a subtle ring. Nose immediately reminds me of beers like The Dissident. Sour, fruity twinges pop up each nostril just daring for another whiff. Aromas are however, a bit milder than some other, almost overpowering sour ales.

Flavor is tart, sour, fruity, acidic, oaky and altogether complex. Besides being a big sour ale, the flavors are a bit difficult to describe and really require an individual palate test. Mouthfeel is medium and supported by some fine carbonation. Overall this is an outstanding beer that masks it 10% ABV. It would go well with some tender hoofed wild game.

4.89/5  rDev +10.9%

750ml bottle (batch 001X3) poured into my large St. Feullien goblet (I was gonna go with one of the Russian River glasses, but they're all pretty ugly and none of them have the nucleation etching like this one), Consecration is a brilliant ruby with an off-white head that is pretty quick to settle to a thick skim, leaving light lace.

Smell is vinous, tart dark berries, caramel, not overly rich, even at cellar temp, but very nice. The constant crackle keeps it lively and enticing without overwhelming.

Taste is very nice. Immediately it reminds me of Oerbier Special Reserve, probably my favorite beer of all time. Which makes it all the harder for me to overlook that fact that I buy that for few less dollars for an equal volume, and that it comes from drastically further distance from a brewery that ages it for at least an extra year or so before release. Still, value is not a factor in taste, and on that accord there are very few that pale. Like most Flanders style beers, especially the stronger ones, I really wish I'd had this with the massive rib eye au poivre I had earlier, rather then splitting the Shiraz with my wife. Consecration is more overtly fruity (then the De Dolle), and is not that funky, although it's obviously pretty young, but is nevertheless fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium light, a crisp creamy carbontion, with just enough maltiness to keep it from being to thin. Very digestible, and the coating of the tannins on the mouth is pleasant and really ties in the wine barrel aging.

Drinkability is high, as this is about as good as it gets for me taste wise. My only ding is the cost, in that comparable beers in it's class (the aforementioned De Dolle, Rodenbach Grand Cru, Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien, etc...) are quite a bit less, and they all come from another continent, not a days drive south of me. Still, this is a masterful beer that I'm glad to see will be somewhat regularly available, demanding a high proportion of my beer budget until they ramp up and price down! In fact, the more I contemplate this beer, the more impressed I am, perhaps one of the best I've ever had - again, only the De Dolle being on par. Wow, this beer is just an incredible mind blower. As I worked though it, I had to bump it up to a 5, in spite of the price, because it was just so dang good, in spite of the young age!

Edit - I had to pop an 06 Oerbier Special Reserve to compare with the last glass of the Consecration, these notes are all from the perspective of the De Dolle:

a-much larger head, more lace, duller, murky body
s-much drier, more mineral, bright
t-less complexity, more (very clean) alcohol, less depth, more wood, less tannins. RR is fruitier, DD is earthier, and has less depth.
m-a bit less carbonation but still hanging strong, lighter, drier.
d-good, but I'm shocked to see I prefer the RR in the shootout. The oakiness is a bit much, it hasn't gotten overly funky like I'd hope with the age, and the depth doesn't match the RR. I like a sweeter beer, or more sour, but the aged DD reminds me of the disappointing 05 Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien I had on xmas eve, which was also over oaked and not that sour.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Thanks to davod23 and joragan for this one. This far with me, Russian River has batted 1000, will the streak continue?

Pours a very dark red. Head was minimal but I poured it particularly slowly, so that's likely my issue.

Smell is sour cherries and grapes with some nice funk.

Taste is sour cherry and Brett funk. Awesome! Not insanely complex, just damn good.

Mouth is thin to medium with high carbonation.

Insanely drinkable, still waiting to try a bad beer from Russian River.

4.97/5  rDev +12.7%

Was lucky enough to score a bottle

The cork was the loudest cork ive ever heard and damn near flew out of my hand when i opened it. The instant sour fruit smell was heavenley, It pours a dark amber color, The taste is absurdly complex so much so im sure you could find almost any flavor you looked for. This and the brabant have mad me officaly change my favorite style from ris to american wild, an absolute must have for an ba

4.62/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #600!

Poured into a tulip glass. Root beer color with a deep amber tinge. Dark but mostly clear. Nice beige head fizzles out due to the acidity. Aroma is sour raisins and currants with a striking cabernet character that blends into the overall profile better than any other wine barrel-aged beer I've had. A brown sugar note emerges once my nose acclimates to the acidity of the aroma. Maybe even a little bourbon and light alcohol too. Very complex smell. Flavors of jammy wine, berries, raisins, oak, vinegar, brown sugar, and a bunch more I can't even articulate. Definitely improves as it warms up. Ridiculous complexity all around. Mouthfeel is rich and well carbonated with delicate bubbles. A joy to drink. RR just can't miss.

4.57/5  rDev +3.6%

Bonus beer consumed at Cincinnati BA RIS tasting on 3/5/2009, hosted by Yetiman420

A: Pours a dark amber to light brown. ½ inch tan and watery head. Sudsy light lacing on side of glass.

S: Sour, musty, tart, cider quality, with a little bit of funk. Big nose.

M/T: Very light mouth feel. Huge pucker to the back of the jaw on first taste, followed by a consistent rush of sour on the tongue. Finishes very dry without aftertaste.

D: Very light and dry, minimal to no aftertaste. Huge drinkability.

4.92/5  rDev +11.6%

Batch 001x2

Cork removed with a good pop, which let some mist out of the bottle along with scents of fruits.

A: Poured into an oversized tulip wine glass. Beer is amber/brown, with reddish highlights. High clarity. Khaki head dissipates quickly, no lacing stays on glass as beer disappears.

S: Initial smell was that of cherries. More sour than sweet most of the time. Lots of oak with just a touch of funk. As the beer opens up and warms 20 minutes later, more aromas of sweetness are present. My final glass from the bottle smelled even better with cabernet scents surfacing. Bottle says currants were used in this beer. I have never had currants knowingly, but I'm guessing there like cherries. Overall, impressive.

T: Sour cherries dominate, oak is present throughout. The cherries/ currants are sour most of the time, but the sweetness is almost there, almost noticeable, but never really makes its way completely. Beer is perfectly tart and acidic, Alcohol is hidden well. Long finish for a beer. Is this beer still?, or a beer wine hybrid. Lots of complexity and layers to this beer, which got better over the course of the bottle. Amazing.

M: High carbonation which contributed to a thicker body and mouthfeel. I enjoyed the amount of carbonation in this one. Clean finish.

D: Consecration is an amazing beer. Highly drinkable. I can not wait to have another bottle of this stuff, and see how it evolves with some cellaring.

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company