1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

ConsecrationConsecration

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008)
Ratings: 3,134 | Reviews: 1,003 | Show All Ratings:
rudylaw

4.68/5  rDev +4.7%

Thanks to our line buddy for cracking this open and sharing with my cohorts at DLD '09!

A nice, deep red color... like cherry cough medicine... which I happen to find gorgeous. Oh yeah, the perfect tan head is all right too!

Lots of currant in the nose... some cherry, oakiness and funk.

Catching a lot of currant in the taste along with sour cherries and raisins on the back end. This is magnificent.

Wild Ales are not usually my bag, but how can you turn down a healthy and free 6oz pour? I'm glad I did... this stuff is incredible. Perhaps it was the muted funkiness that I loved so much, but Russian River continues to do no wrong.

04-27-2009 21:01:29 | More by rudylaw
seand

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from the bottle into a large red wine glass. Batch 001X4.

A: Deep translucent reddish amber, with a little over a finger of tan head. The head dissipates pretty quickly, but leaves a layer of foam on the surface. Some lacing, but not a lot.

S: Dark sweet fruit. Complex, malty, and deep.

T: Wow. Like no beer I've tried before (but then I am new to this style). Lots of fruit, but not too sweet. Tons of flavor here, somewhat comparable to a fruit forward wine. Tart citrus flavors on the tip of the tongue, leading to a malty sour flavor, with a dry finish. The alcohol is well hidden. Quite interesting.

M: Great carbonation. Feels very nice.

D: This is a sipper for sure. The sour flavors and the high ABV mean that this is one to take it slow with.

This is the first beer of this style I've tried. I would not want to drink this all the time, but as something occasional to mix things up it works well. This beer isn't cheap, but it's probably worth having one or two in the cellar.

04-26-2009 23:26:14 | More by seand
sevopie

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -8.7%

Appearance - Murky reddish-brown with a thick tan head.

Smell - Currant, vinegar, slight oak, a touch of brown sugar, and a bit of apricot or pear.

Taste - Very tart fruit flavors, namely the currants and apples with a bit of the apricot/pear again. Vinegary a bit, but all of it hides the alcohol fairly well. Very, very dry/astringent on the finish.

Mouthfeel - Thick and dry, a thin but plentiful carbonation.

Drinkability - I'm not a huge sour fan, but I had to try this one. Definitely a pleasant beer, though the tart can be a bit overwhelming at times. If it wasn't $20 a bottle I would probably revisit this.

04-20-2009 22:39:49 | More by sevopie
ckeegan04

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

A - Dark brown with bright ruby red highlights when held up to light. Almost cola like in appearance. Big, bubbly light brown head and audible fizzing. Head does not last long but does leave pretty good lacing. Lots of bubbles quickly rising to the top.

S - Strong aroma of brandy soaked cherries and raisins. A nice light vinegar aroma lingers underneath as well. Hints of vanilla and oak as well.

T - An excellent array of tastes come at you and the balance is just amazing. Starts off with a nice sour fruitiness with cherries and raisins, much like the aroma. The sour tastes fade to a more vinegar based tartness later in the drink. Throughout there is a nice underlying oakiness with hints of vanilla that provide an excellent balance to the sour/tart tastes throughout. Just an excellent array of flavors that play off each other wonderfully. I'm still new to the world of American Wild's, but this has to be darn near perfection.

M/D - Full bodied with an incredibly lively carbonation. The beer tickles your mouth and throat the whole way down. Ridiculously easy drinking as well.

04-19-2009 01:40:58 | More by ckeegan04
Sean9689

4.3/5  rDev -3.8%

I was really looking forward to trying this beer, so I popped the cock and prepared to drink this bottle (batch 001x4) a couple of hours before a big STL Blues playoff game. Pours light brown with a tan/creamy head into my Duvel tulip. Not much lacing along the glass and the head quickly goes away leaving a small tan rim along the sides of the tulip. The smell is amazing, green apples, very sour, but in a great way. Taste is great, lip-puckering sour, but it's just as if I'm drinking a nice cabernet or pinot noir...wow. Lots of fruit up front and a great mix of sweetness and tart on the finish (makes me want MORE!). Mouthfeel is perfect...just the correct amount of carbonation with this wild..really helps the flavors. I would say this is right down the middle in terms of body, medium. Drinks like a wine with some carbonation, very nice. I still have a few bottles left and they won't be around too long as much as I enjoyed this one! An awesome wild.

04-17-2009 22:56:50 | More by Sean9689
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. Consumed at a tasting with a handful of fellow BA's. Review is from tasting notes.

I'll preface this by saying Consecration is my first Wild Ale. I had read rave reviews, but it just didn't sound like my style. Of course, I ended up loving it, and it was one of the best of a stellar lineup of beers that night.

Pours a color on the redder side of purple, like the inside of a red grape skin. Nice amount of foam. Rich and creamy head.

Wow, this thing smelled sour. Tons of fruit...my notes had "TART" written along the side. Sinus-clearing sour. The taste is appropriately mouth-puckeringly sour. Currants, oak, and red wine. The flavor floored me. I didn't think this kind of flavor could be in a beer. Nice heat in the back of the throat that rises to the nose. This beer was stronger than I thought it was. Nice bitter finish.

Very, very smooth feel. Light astringency, definitely not unpleasant, leaves a very nice tingle on the tongue. Nice, even coating made me feel like I needed to brush my teeth afterward. I was really sad to see the bottom of the glass. For my first Wild Ale, I thought it was highly drinkable. I really hope I'll be able to attain this sometime over the summer.

04-17-2009 05:22:46 | More by Gyle41386
IBUnit63

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Thanks to gcphilli for the great trade that yielded this puppy (batch 001X2) - into a Portsmouth snifter it goes after an excellent pop of the cork from this 750 corked & caged heavyweight.

Well, it pours with a ginger/maple head - about 1/3 finger - that looks like sponge candy for a brief instant then fades quickly into little yeast wisps. The body has a dark bourbon and dark cherries (OK, currants) color that has quite a calming effect. Moderate slow-moving carbonation.

The scent is present the second the cork goes. The brett is huge but it's backed by a fruity sweetness of the currants with a light, husky oak barrel and wine tannic feel. Quite complex with a touch of hop pine and slight booziness. I expected it to be sweet but this is really well-integrated. Can't see too much of anything wrong with this.

The carbonation really shows up and brightens things a bit on taste. It gets together with the very soft and sour funk (not as heavy as a horse blanket - maybe a horse do-rag) and the oaky Cab character isn't a figment of one's imagination...nor is the poignant taste of currants. Way back when in the early 1980s Haagen-Dazs had a cassis (currant) sorbet available at their shop on the Upper West Side. It was one of those things that wasn't for everyone but we enjoyed the hell out of it. This brings back those tastes. Slightly austere but still pronounced currants along with the Cab tannin just makes this outstanding and the carbonation brings the delivery even greater strength. In fact I'd almost want this to still a little bit to see how it would go. Quite luxurious to say the least. A little warmth brings out the expected horse blanket feel even further, which fits with everything else like a glove. Seriously Beautiful Chemistry going on here (look up Crackstatic and Ron Hawkins). This begs to be aged - like a young Cab there is a sense of tightness that begs for aging.

It took a while for my palate to embrace the concept of the Wild Ale but lots of good things take time. Surprisingly with time and warmth the dry oakiness of this gets to be more prominent and the straight sour texture of the currants is enhanced - the carbonation isn't going away and it helps hammer the point home. This one waxes and wanes - every moment the spotlight shines on a different element.

It doesn't take long to realize that this is indeed a 10% sledgehammer. But there is nothing that can diminish how good this thing is. My cellar awaits for another bottle. What will this taste like in a few years? I am drinking this very slowly but I am enjoying every sip. Not that I'm a sour maven by any means but this is the best one I've experienced to date. In-fucking-credible.

04-17-2009 02:43:37 | More by IBUnit63
weeare138

4.33/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle at Capone's...
Appears a dark amber with a small white head that quickly fades. Tiny speckles of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of tart strawberries, funky barnyard, sugary fruit, vanilla oak, and rhubarb.
Taste is of the same aromas with strawberries, currants, wine and raisin flavors taking over.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, funky, chewy, with barnyard funk sticking to the palate.

04-15-2009 01:33:23 | More by weeare138
Beaver13

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -8.3%

750ml bottle, batch 001x2. Pours a deep red brown with a fizzy off-white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar that leaves some wispy lacing.

The aroma is tart sour fruits and musty yeast. Some sweet vinous fruits come out as it warms.

The flavor is big mouth puckering tart and sour fruits, some wood, with a musty yeast finish. It's a bit acidic. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low yet sharp carbonation.

Overall, a pretty one-dimensional sour, but boy does it do the sour well. This is right up there with La Folie for my favorite sour.

04-14-2009 05:57:55 | More by Beaver13
twelvsies

Maine

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Batch 001x4. Another amazingly artistic beer from Russian River. Trying for the second time. A deep garnet color, calm looking brew. This beer is both complex yet accessible and quite easy to drink all at the same time. Tartness and raisiny currents in the nose, a big of soaked woodsy oak. At first taste this beer has a tart but not necessarily very sour kick to it, then mellowing into deep fruit and a soft funk. Very balanced and subtle, yet plenty of flavor and very arousing to the tastebuds. Slight grape husk vinous character imparted from the barrel aging. Really excellent. Prickly and juicy on the palate but with a tart dry finish and highly quaffable. A real gem.

04-13-2009 14:30:16 | More by twelvsies
chiral3

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

I loved this beer. In a few words, it is a solid ale base with a fruit overlay.

Had three bottles of the 001x2 batch. Very consistent every time (I also had a tulip from a keg to compare dissimilar batches). I am cellaring one to see what time will yield.

This beer, despite its youth, is complex. Poured into my Chimay goblet (and wine glasses) a deep ruby with a double finger of clean head. The layers in this beer arrive in stacatto fashion but, like a good risotto, have spent time accumulating.

What hit me first was the tartness of the currants. This fruit yielded to the mellowness of what must have been from the oak. I suspect that if you could strip out the currants and oak you would be left with a solid dark Belgian, but I foud it tricky to completely disambiguate. The mouthfeel was solid and the aftertaste was pleasant.

I understand that Brett was used along with two other usual suspects, but I could not discern any obvious rotting humus or bovid urine, rather just the usual organic yeast remnants.

04-12-2009 21:56:13 | More by chiral3
JoeMayo

4.55/5  rDev +1.8%

A- Pours a very dark brown, almost black. When held to the light, it was brown and light amber and surprisingly clear. A fluffy 1-finger head formed, but quickly dissipated to a thin ring around the glass.

S- Very complex aroma. The first things that hit the nose are sweet, dark fruits and notes of ester. Belgian yeast and breadyness comes through followed by funky sour tones. Hints of cherries or currants come through clearly. Slight hints of vanilla and a wine-like aroma come through as well.

T- Very sour upfront, but the sourness isn't so overpowering that it masks the complexities of the beer. Sour cherries and currants come through immediately in the flavor. The sourness melds with the fruit well, but there is still the slight funky flavor associated with brett. The finish is very clean and wine-like with a lingering sour aftertaste. The esters of the "base" beer before it hit the barrels come through very clearly.

M- The body is somewhat thin and its slightly over-carbonated, but the absolutely amazing clean and crisp finish make up for it.

D- I split a 750mL bottle with two friends and I wanted more after 1/3 of the bottle. Overall, extremely well-rounded. One of the few American Wilds that I've had that's not sour for the sake of being sour, but sour to impart flavor to the rest of the beer...Another excellent brew by RR.

04-11-2009 14:05:35 | More by JoeMayo
Lothore

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

A- Pours a deep crimson color with a fizzy, off white head that fades fairly quickly.

S- Smells of dark fruit, plums, raisins, currants, figs, with a hint of sourness.

T- Tastes of currants, slight oaky cherry flavor and a nice funky brett flavor to round it out.

M- A little overcarbonated, semi viscous and fairly creamy.

D- This one was very drinkable. It definitely wasn't a standout for me as far as russian rivers lineup goes, i'd much rather grab a temptation. At 22 dollars a bottle id venture to guess this will be the last bottle i'll buy for a while.

04-10-2009 05:18:49 | More by Lothore
0110x011

4.78/5  rDev +6.9%

Review #100 - and a damn fine choice if I do say so myself.

A - Pours a deep, dark ruby red. Virtually opaque. Dark like Chimay Blue is dark. Beautiful garnet highlights. Light tan head is two fingers tall and big bubbled. Not a lot of staying power on the head, and little lacing to speak of.

S - The fruit makes its presence known immediately. Both dark (raisin & plum) and red (cherry & raspberry) fruit pay a role. The barrel influence is a big part, giving solid red wine and vanilla overtones. The wild yeast adds an earthy, horsey funk. A bit of booze tops it all off. this is the kind of beer that gives you something new with every whiff. Incredible depth.

T - Again, the fruit hits first.The dark/red emphasis seems to shift from sip to sip, sometimes giving more plum, sometimes more raspberry and cherry. I imagine I'm tasting currant at times, but I usually don't eat currants, so its hard to have a real basis for comparison. The Cab flavors play a part in the front as well, imparting their own unique fruitiness. The oaky, vanilla flavors come in the middle and on the sides, where the musty earth of the brett makes its presence known. The sour aspect hits with a bang toward the end which, along with the oak and wine tannin, makes for a super clean finish.

M - Medium-full body, but the carbonation is a bit coarse, which along with the acidity and tannin, makes for a very snappy feel.

D - I could drink this stuff all night. I'm actually having to tell myself to drink it slowly in order to savor it. the 10% abv is barely noticeable.

This is a top ten beer for me, no doubt. Delicious and creative, worthy of the awe it inspires.

04-10-2009 04:43:55 | More by 0110x011
hophead247

My first crack at a wild or sour beer, but it was a great new experience..The pour yields a cloudy, glowing, rusty sienna colored body with a lasting, pillowy, cream colored head. Minimal, spotty lacing shows on the glass. Aromas include a dark, fruity malt base rich with currants and some sour cherry. Dry cocoa adds a hint of sweetness, while soft, oaky vanilla lends a perfumy, lightly woody overtone. Traces of bretty funk add an earthy character. Flavors show more dark fruits, primarily tart dark cherry, fig, and currant, mild sourness being tempered by the soft, oaky carress. The body is substantial and semi-dry, perfectly carbonated. I think I may have another style of beer to add to my list

04-09-2009 03:39:05 | More by hophead247
ibbjamin

2.78/5  rDev -37.8%

Paid $23.99 for a 750ml bottle from Perry's Liquor in Livermore, CA. Batch 001X3. Poured into a large wine glass.

Upon cracking the cage n corked bottle, the beer spilled rather quickly out of the top of the bottle. Beware to have a glass ready with this one! Perhaps it was shaken a bit as upon pouring as the head is quite small actually. Quite fizzy, this off white head dissipates to almost nothing very quickly. Carbonation is quite tricky/deceiving. Color is deep ruby red. Its darkness leads to this being nearly opaque. No retention.

Smells of wild yeast funk and very fine tart cherries. Also a grape complexity added a la aging in Cabernet Sauvignon barrels. Mildly sweet, yet certainly much more on the sour side. Even some breadiness from the yeast.

Sour to the taste buds resulting in strong astringency. Funk, sour cherries, some grape. Not as complex as the nose. A bit too sour for my liking.

Very dry mouth, astringent. Light to medium bodied. Light carbonation. As dry as some champagne I've had, which for me, is not a positive quality I'm looking for in a beer.

04-08-2009 01:59:38 | More by ibbjamin
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Trouble's afoot, no doubt about it. The dark ruby is evidence. Perfect clarity and little head, but what becaps the brew remains throughout. Not really an eerie feeling, but a restlessness, as a cloudy, windy, brooding day is apt to be - one can tell it's not right. There's a dark shape. They must not catch up.
The aroma of lambic, lambic sour. Each individual one is there, showcased, though the mighty brett overrides at long last. The pediococcus adds an extra twist to the otherwise normal blend of saccharomyces and brett. And the rest of the mix too, the basket-full, the nuts, bread, figs, dried apricots, grapefruit peel.
Ride North! They are coming for us!
Brandishing but a pike, the tastebuds assaulted by a complex sweet and sour: a light bready/date-like sweetness, destroyed in short order (not so soon... why? Where's the plot?) by the immense sourness that leaves the rest of the mouth frozen.
At least it isn't raining. We may make the range before dark. At least it's dry. Intensely dry. Stifling. Astringent. Drier than anything from Belgium, save a 10-year old of some sort.
Make for the hills. Ride. Do not look back at the looming thunderstorms, they are not there. Ride. Your freedom is at stake, your entire world. You must not let them catch you. Ride for your life.

04-07-2009 22:08:09 | More by khiasmus
WilliamD

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

Label states batch 001X3.
Popped the cork and was greeted with a rush of foam. Ran it into the kitchen and set in the sink. Lost perhaps an eighth of the contents. Now that was rather disappointing.
After cleaning up the spillage, poured into a snifter. Attractive amber with a golden halo and a thin, fizzy head that eventually dissolves.
Smells tart with a fruitiness that I presume is the currants. Slight, earthy, oakiness as well.
Taste is tart and sour, with a definite presence of the wild yeast. Divine, oaky finish. Very delicious.
Mouthfeel is excellent as well- crisp, dry and tingly, like a fine champagne.
I can't believe this is 10% ABV. It is completely concealed. I would love to continue on to another bottle when I finish this one, but this is far too precious a beer to treat in such a frivolous manner.

04-07-2009 01:41:20 | More by WilliamD
akorsak

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle of Batch 001-3. I received several in recent trades, so thanks to beerbeagle, jw347 and ralflord.

A: The ale is a dark crimson red that has a full wooden brown appearance from afar. A loud pop didn't conjure up as much head as I wanted, nor did what popped up linger for long.

S: The ale has a vinous aroma, the long barrel-aging stint put to good use. The wine is red and very full-bodied. Tartness is behind the red wine but not as strong as I've experienced in other RR wild ales.

T: The currants are strong up front, sweet and juicy. As the currants fade, red wine and oaky tartness come through. The red wine is cabarnet, full and rich. The barrel has added a subtle tartness that goes well with the wine. The tartness is citric, very acidic. The bite is nice, a natural flow from the fullness of the red wine.

M: The currant/red wine/oak barrel interplay is interesting. Tartness follows full barrel and sweet berries. The currants are a nice deviation from grapes.

D: The 10% alcohol never rears its head. The ale is very approachable with a pleasant tartness that never makes me pucker too much.

04-06-2009 01:45:41 | More by akorsak
Cedromar

4.38/5  rDev -2%

Split a bottle with my lady. Batch 1x003.

Pour gives a lovely ruddy ruby color with mild bubbles that don't stick around, I guess they were feeling shy.

Smell of a nice sour Cabernet.

The taste is wonderful, sour, funky, fruity. Currants up front then the sour acidity followed by the leathery brett.

Mouthfeel is again wonderful, good carbonation.

I could drink this again and again and again. However, this ranks behind Supplication and Beatification for me.

04-05-2009 22:48:26 | More by Cedromar
dukedevil0

4.05/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this bottle from an excellent trader Dajtai007. Was able to bring this and spread the love to the April BA Gathering and Beer Share at Goose Island - Clybourn.

A: Pours dark brown with very little khaki colored bubbles around the edge, possibly due to a careful pour.

S: Smells sour/wild fruit, specifically like funky apple cider, yeasty

T: Similar to the smell, very much like funky apple cider with some yeasty flavors and a sour bite, very tart

M: full and highly carbed

D: At this point, one 12oz bottle would be more than enough for me until I got into the style.

I think at some point I will be able to appreciate this style, but it's too radical to me right now to feel comfortable with it. I can totally see how people enjoy this beer a lot though, but I think it's an acquired taste that I just haven't acquired yet.

04-03-2009 15:24:45 | More by dukedevil0
mdm46410

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 750ml caged and corked bottle (Batch 001x4) and served in a snifter. Generously provided by doubleo. Thanks Kyle! This beer poured a mahognay brown with some ruby highlights and a fizzy, highly carbonated two-finger thick head of tan foam that quickly settled into a lasting cap. Some slippery lacing. The aroma included strong oak, vinous dark fruits, and lightly sweetened tart currants. Some lightly sour notes. Definately a strong wine character. Nice mix of sweet and sour. The flavor displayed a fairly intense oaky, wine barrel character. Tart currants followed by a mellow acidity. A lingering woody, cherry pit note was left on the tongue. The 10% ABV was undetected. Finished mostly dry, but there was still some unexpected sweetness lingering. Medium-bodied with crisp, aggressive carbonation. Very well done. Quite a bit more tart, and not nearly as sour as expected, but it works. A wonderful beer!

04-03-2009 03:03:52 | More by mdm46410
mikereaser

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

A - Pours a clear reddish brown with with a tiny bit of tan foam that stuck around for awhile

S - the aroma is dark cherries, raisins and grapes with a hint of the sour to come

T - nice tart flavor of the cherries and and a dryness that reminds me of wine

M/D - overall, I think this is an amazing brew. I'm just getting into liking sours and this one is a hit for me.

04-02-2009 20:25:58 | More by mikereaser
zeff80

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev -2%

A - Poured out a clear, copper color with a small, white head that left a little lace.

S - It smelled of oak (and a little bourbon) with a strong yeasty aroma. Light caramel notes, too.

T - Great sour bite grabs you at first sip. It tasted spicy and yeasty, too. Almost like a brown ale with brett. A nice funky flavor.

M - This was very smooth and soft with a nice dry finish. A medium-bodied ale.

D - This is a really good wild yeast ale. The aging served it well.

03-31-2009 05:00:28 | More by zeff80
ahpark

4.47/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 750mL bottle, batch 001X4, into a tulip. Poured almost like cola, a nice dark fizzy reddish brown. Head is almost nonexistent, as it really just fizzed out relatively quickly. Carbonation is insane; even with no head I can actually hear it fizzing away in the tulip glass.

Smells how it looks, of dark cherries, raisins, and other sour dark reddish colored fruits. An afterscent of champagne or sparkling wine is unsurprisingly evident.

Taste is very very tart. I knew this was a sour, but did not know it would be quite this pronounced. The dark black cherry taste definitely shines through, with an aftertaste of dates or figs. Reminiscent of a dry sparkling cabernet.

Mouthfeel is pretty awesome; the bottle-conditioned carbonation definitely lends the beer a light body with a nice astringency at the end.

Drinkability is definitely there. It's so similar to sparkling wine or champagne, it's a sipper for sure. The tartness really is a curveball, and I'm not quite sure how much of this I could drink without my tastebuds shriveling up and dying on me, but it's definitely refreshing. At 10%ABV though, I can't see myself drinking too much of this without having a wicked headache later in the night or the next morning.

Overall, definitely an amazing brew that everyone should try. Not something I can see myself drinking regularly, but more like a celebration brew to break out on special occasions. I'm definitely interested in cellaring this and trying it a couple years down the line.

03-30-2009 03:39:10 | More by ahpark