Consecration - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 10-31-2008

Reviews: 1,094 | Hads: 4,844
4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Red-brown color. Fine carbonation. Like a light root beer color and slightly opaque. No head to speak of. Attractive.

S: Sour as expected with a currant scent. For someone who hasn't has currants, it's a sweet plum/fig/raisin smell. Very pleasant. With the wood scent, it can even be compared to sweet baked beans.

T: A sour smack in the face right from the start, which is great, since I like sour beers. This beer is sour, followed by tartness, followed by more puckering sourness. The currants can be tasted right as the beer passes my lips, but that is all. The yeast/bacteria combination delivers a crazy funkiness that tastes like nothing else I've ever had. There is barely any sweetness. I can't believe this is 10% ABV because I don't detect ANY alcohol.

M: Crisp and bubbly. I was expecting it to be heavier but it is fairly clean due to the acidity as well.

D: I would like to say I could drink these all day, but the acidity would probably wear out my tongue. Since I only have the privilege to drink one, I can only assume.

4.11/5  rDev -6.8%

Batch 001X1 750 ml bottle. Beer poured into a duvel tulip glass and forms a lovely 3 finger head. Frenzied carbonation feeds the head. Then a truly unique phenomenon begins to unveil itself . . . the beer begins to make crackling sounds just like a bowl of rice krispies! The head holds along with the crackling sounds for a couple of minutes but then quickly vanishes once I start drinking. The appearance and sounds of this beer was quite an amazing experience . . . never felt like a beer was as alive as this one. Beer is a gorgeous dark burgundy color as well. The color especially the crackle make this a 5 for me. Smell of dark fruit, cherries, apples, brett, and a little vinegar. Initial taste is sour and tart but then it is balanced out quickly by some malts. Beer is tremendously complex. The finish is long lasting and leaves you longing for more with the cabernet sauvignon grapes lingering . ..very nice. Moutfeel is tantalizing as the beer dances across your tongue and feels as alive as it did when it was first poured. I really enjoyed this beer but could probably handle no more than 2. A lot of hype with this beer and I'll say, for the most part, it lived up to it IMO. I'm aging a couple of other bottles and I imagine they will improve quite a bit. Will revisit in a couple years.

4.35/5  rDev -1.4%

Had this on tap last night at The Horse Brass in Portland, Oregon. Delightfully acetous on the nose! On the palate...piquant, snappy, tannic, broodingly acerbic and redolent of macerated currants. Exquisitely tangy on the back of the palate with a sappy dryness and an extraordinarily long finish. A pleasure to drink!

4.39/5  rDev -0.5%

this is a bottle i missed in a box on a trade, this is a batch 5, 375ml bottle

this poured a nice clean no head pour, into a fading dark amberish color, not cloudy but completely opaque. the nose of this beer screams currants and sour tangy goodness. a very vinous aroma accompanies the fruit sour. this beer keeps reminding me of supplication which should be kinda expected. the taste is a very short lived wineish like flavor with a little brett funkyness there. this one is a lively beer like the rest of the RR sours. the carbonation kinda takes away from the taste.
overall its awesome and a good drinker, you dont know its 10% abv at all while you drink it.

4.02/5  rDev -8.8%

such a fun and unique brew!

No, it's not a new top favorite, and I probably won't seek it out again. But this was a fun beer to drink, the consummate craft beer drinking experience. I thoroughly enjoyed the beer, and the creativity and craftsmanship involved in its creation.

A - Unimpressive. What is there to say about Brown? It's just blah. This beer has an especially fizzy cap and appears far lighter in body than I had expected.

A- Fun! There's a mild tinge of vinegar, some tobacco (kinda reminded me of dip... weird), and grapes. Very wine like.

T- if you told me it were wine I'd have never doubted you until the second sip. There's a real sour twist, but it's not unbecoming. It's enough to leave a real sense of satisfaction and cleanse the palate. More juicy than beer like.
Tastes of Yellow Tail wine, Lemon Heads and Pop Rocks, Fuji Apple peel, dingy earthiness.

The further it drinks (warms) the less like wine and the more like hard cider, this beer becomes. And then, as you go further still, the sourness becomes quite biting.

M- The effervescence of this beer pairs well with the tartness. It's light-bodied, crisp and for all the sweetness, it finishes dry. The flavor might overwhelm most, but all have to agree the body lends exceptional drinkability.

0_ I dunno which demographic they were trying to entice... grade school kids who like sour candies or wine drinkers... I think they'll attract both. It's a contradiction: it's both cutting-edge on the modern beer scene, but also employs throwback qualities, like souring and aging in wooden barrels. It's a spunky beer, that packs a lot of flavor and alcohol into a compact frame.
I actually had a sample of this on draught a while back and didn't like it, I'm glad I gave this bottle with its hefty price tag a chance!

4.2/5  rDev -4.8%

375ml bottle poured into my New Belgium glass
An "extra" from walows, thanks man, been wanting to try this one for a while

This is my first RR sour. Been fortunate to try Pliny and Damnation and, not that they need my approval, have come away impressed.

Pours deep raisin with a touch of ruby. A 1 cm head quickly comes and goes and leaves no trace.

You can smell the acidity that awaits, not much hint of fruit and instead a healthy dose of barnyard

tart, like a cherry with all of the sugar removed. You can tell there has been fruit there, but I couldn't have told you currants. Very enjoyable overall but I have been on a major sour kick

nice mouthfeel and not overly carbonated.
I could drink this one again; RR is more of a pain to get and I have a supplication, temptation, and sanctification waiting in the wings. It will be interesting to compare this "more commonly" available RR sour to a couple that tend to be a little more hard to get (especially to me)

4.67/5  rDev +5.9%

Big thanks to Tieman for this ridiculous EXTRA... you are the man.

Batch 004x2. Pours a dark amber color, little to no head. A constant stream of bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass keeps it from being completely still. Smell has a good amount of funk with some fruitiness behind. Taste is sour, but not over the top. Just enough lactic sourness for my liking. The currents are there, but in good balance. Starts off slightly sweet, and finishes dry, funky, and sour. Delicious. Mouthfeel is lively. The 10% is no where to be found, the nature of the style hurts drinkability slightly... but I could drink quite a bit of this one. RR is the king of American made sours, and this one is near the top.

4.52/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle Pours a clear brown with a good off white fizzy head. The head leaves quickly. Reminds me of soda pop. Aroma is of dark fruit. Apples, cherries, and a touch of the oak. Has a good carbonation. The flavor is real good. A lot of sweetness but kicked up by a sour ending. Has a dry texture. This is a differnt style than I would normally drink but it is excellent. Has a great finish and the aftertaste stays with you for days. This is quite a tasty beer. Cost a little more than I spend but was worth it.

3.94/5  rDev -10.7%

batch 006x2E

A: deep brown, almost no head

S: red wine, grapes, some funk saying "hello" in the background

T: vinegary sour in tandem with lemon-peel like bitterness. sourness is not overwhelming. some alcoholic warmth in throat. lingering sweetness from alcohol

M: dry, but flavors (alcohol sweetness) lingers on your tongue for a while.

O: great sipper. I notice alcohol strength in my throat, but does not feel like it in my mouth due to its dryness. This beer is not sessionable.

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%

Batch 3 poured into my Bruery tulip.

Pours a deep, clear garnet. A light beige head rises up and fizzles away immediately - and I do mean immediately. I barely had time to note the color before it was gone. Ah well, that's expected in a big sour like this one. Holding the beer up to the light, there are the most beautiful shimmering golden highlights. Beautiful.

Smell is good. I believe that I am sensing a pattern where my lowest score for my reviewed beers tends to be on the aroma. I don't know why that is - but often I wish that the aroma was more in my face. That's the case here. I am getting plenty of sour fruit here, mostly currants, red berries and perhaps a bit of raisin and cherry. Smells sour. A hint of the barrels, and I can detect red wine from the cabernet. Very inviting, if not as robust as I would like ideally.

Taste is superb. Massive sour fruit kick, currants and berries mostly. This is sour, but not puckeringly so - there is a sweetness that offsets it nicely. Tannic, oaky. Excellent.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Robust. Especially full mouthfeel for the style. The lack of head belies the active carbonation.

I drank a full 750 of this two nights ago, and I'm doing it again tonight. This is INSANELY drinkable for a 10% American Wild. Insane.

This is my second-favorite Russian River sour behind Supplication. Highly, highly recommended.

4.73/5  rDev +7.3%

Got this bottle a while back. Saving it for a nice day, and what a better day than my last finals? I tried it the first time at the brewery during the release.

A - This beer looks amazing. A nice cherry dark red with a smooth half inch creamy head.

S - The smell is sour upfront, followed by a nice sweetness.

T - Sour Sour Sour. This beer starts off very sour and slows into a bitter cherry flavor. The sweetness finishes off this nice beer.

M - This beer is perfectly carbonated. The head hits your lips smoothly, and the dry finish leaves you wanting more.

D - This beer is one of those heavy hitters that you want to drink it all day, all night, but also want to savor it and take your time. Also, you would'nt want to session this at the price, but that does not reflect on the rating :). This beer however, can be overpowering due to the sourness, but other than that, high drinkability.

I am glad I waited for a nice day to enjoy this gem of a beer. RR hits another amazing beer.

4.87/5  rDev +10.4%

appearance: deep mahogany color

aroma: malty sweetness, yeasty, oak notes

taste: starts with the malty sweetness that fades into the sour but not funky clean and crisp, tart

mouthfeel: light carbonation and light body

wow just a superb beer one mof my all time faves. The 10% abv is well hidden I could see this being a session beer but it is not, because you need to savor it

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Beautiful beer. The deep brown, like a Koa wood color aged in the cab barrels gives this one an amazing color gradient. Light this head offsets this color. Stunning in a white wine glass.

S- Funky prune or fig juice is the standout aroma here. Pomegranate and some oak.

T- I love the flavor profile here. Starting off with some of that rich fruit figs, cranberries, prune before leading into that tart raspberry and even some strawberry. Then it's the pomegranate smoothness and some real oak dry finish. Immaculate.

M- So nice. Puckering, with the juice there in the middle and the dry finish.

O- Russian River is out of hand. Love it.

4.55/5  rDev +3.2%

Enjoyed with TCGoalie, zoso1967, and TCHopCraver. We split a 750ml bottle between the four of us. Thanks to TCHopCraver for supplying the beer.

Appearance: Poured into a large wine glass. Color is an amber/straw with a one-finger head and minimal lacing. Quite a bit of carbonation is visible in the glass. Retention is not stupendous, but agitating the glass easily stirs up bubbles again. Yeasty chunks collect at the bottom of the glass.

Smell: A sour cherry smell dominates the nose, with a tinge of yeast and mustiness also present. There is also a bit of an acidic/mineral quality (almost like well water with too much iron). Other aromas are citrus, banana, and a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Sour bomb. Cabernet shines through and acidity abounds. The iron character I detected in the smell is there in the taste as well. Picking up a lot of tannins from the wine, which certainly adds to the mouth-puckering intensity of this beer. Given the aroma, I thought there would be more sweetness, but I think whatever sweetness there is has been lost amongst the sea of tartness.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, mouth-puckering tartness, and a dry finish. Clean and invigorating for the senses.

Drinkability: Probably a one-glass brew, but I will definitely revisit this one, as the experience is incredibly unique.

4.4/5  rDev -0.2%

Russian River Consecration 375 mL bottle, batch 007
Poured into Duvel tulip on July 21, 2012.

Appearance 4
Pours a dark to medium brown with slight plum red tinge. Very thin covering of head that nearly completely dissipates.

Aroma 4
Tart sour nose predominance, with slight dark fruit/grape note. Also tart candy notes.

Taste 4.5
Initially a strong tart sourness, which really coats the palate well. Very complex taste. I get notes of sweet malt, tart candy, & lemon. Sourness comes in a quite sharp burst, then drops off, though there is a moderate to strong amount of sourness that lingers on palate throughout. Midway through I can pick up the malt, and late on the palate there is hint of the red wine notes from the barrel. Together, the flavors are great; there is a lot going on, but it is refined and polished. I felt hat the barrel aging adds a balance to the sourness – there is almost a tannin dryness at the end. At the very end, almost in the aftertaste, can pick up the current flavor.

Mouthfeel 5
Moderate thickness, low carbonation, great almost puckering sourness that coats entire mouth. Nice slight viscosity to the beer. Super enjoyable!

Overall 4.5
Lives up to the hype. Incredible sour with great power, but also great balance. 10% alcohol is extremely well hidden and allows the beer to be more full bodied. Very, very easy to drink. A world class offering – reminds me of Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien. Only wish I could have this as a regular offering – the west coast beer drinkers are lucky. Highly recommend.

A: Nice head that quickly disappears. Small bubbles line the rim of the glass. Dark mahogany color.

S: Incredible. Ive had this many times and I look forward to the aroma just as much as the flavor. Its sour, tart, tangy, winey, dark grapes, cherries and berries.

T: This is a full-on pucker face sour bomb. Its red wine, cherries, oak and vanilla deliciousness.

M: Full, carbonated, tingly, explosive. Like pop rocks candy.

O: My favorite sour as the interplay between the intense tang/funk/fruit/oak is just perfect.

4.33/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Dark brown, clear, with a quickly dissipating tan head.
S - Dried fruit, tobacco, barnyard (brett funk). More fruit comes out as it warms. Some vinous aromas as well.
T - Sour, "sweaty", cherries, oak, some notes of sherry and vanilla.
M - Full bodied and dry. Typical for a sour.
O - One of the best American sours, bar none. Give me another pint.

4.34/5  rDev -1.6%

On tap at RR - still have two bottles aging at home. Looking forward to that opening ceremony.

Appearance - Reddish brown, mahogany, with a minor off white head - very little retention or lacing, but the brew itself looks mighty inviting.

Smell - Ripe cherries, dark wine, strong fruit smells with a little bit of sparkling wine.

Taste - Very dark ale with champagne aftertaste - cherry, lambic sourness, but not overpowering because it is balanced well by cabernet highlights.

Mouthfeel - Slight carbonation tingle but still retains the attractive dark ale smoothness.

Drinkability - More of a treat than a session beer, but don't pass this one up if you can get it on tap, or aged for 1+ years.

4.09/5  rDev -7.3%

375mL bottle of Russian River Consecration - batch number 7.

Appearance: Consecration pours a burnt maroon color with a thin, whispy white head and a relatively translucent body despite the bottle conditioning.

Smell: the Cabernet Sauvignon barrels really come through in the nose; theres a strong, unmistakable smell of red wine. I was expecting the brettanomyces to be a little more pronounced, but it wasn't really contributing much to the aroma on this one.

Taste: undeniably tart, yet not mouth puckering. The bacteria (lactobacillus and pediococcus) impart this souring flavor, yet seem to play well with the addition of currants as well as the lingering Cabernet Sauvignon components. The high ABV imparts a nice warming sensation, but isn't really perceptible otherwise.

Mouthfeel: Consecration is medium bodied and finishes with a wine-like dryness.

Overall: an interesting beer to be sure, and the only barrel aged offering from Russian River I've ever had (Supplication and Temptation are in the fridge). It was certainly enjoyable, but I wasn't really blown away.. And I'm not sure if I'd be willing to buy it online again and eat the cost of shipping. Now if I lived in California it would probably be a different story.

3.63/5  rDev -17.7%

Part V of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I've had this one before, but having it at the end of this tasting makes it all the better.

Appearance is dark red with very little head. The smell is bourbon, cherries, vanilla, and raspberries. As good as the smell is, the taste is quite a letdown - lemons, sour grapes, slight biscuit, bitters, and booze; really though, none of these flavors meld into anything too good. The drinkability is fair, but the sourness and the overall blandness of the taste makes one glass of this beer just plenty.

4.84/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Poured into snifter. Bottle date 2-11-14. Excited for this one, here we go!
A-beautiful dark red without any head. Almost exactly matches the color of the label.
S- cherries, vanilla, musky funk, oak
T-sour cherries, vanilla, chocolate, fizzy carbonated funk, dark fruits
M- light to medium, fairly fizzy. No head.
O- so well balanced. I don't normally enjoy sours but this is easy to drink and delicious.

4.7/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: If you look at the label on the bottle, that is damn near close to what the body of this beer looks like. Dark-amber brown body with slight velvet hues on the edges that you would see in a Cabernet. Small off white head is produced. Little head retention and no lacing.

S: Sweet currents paired with sour red grapes, apples with hints of cherry, oak and Brett. The Cabernet Sauvignon is really coming through nicely paring well with the currents. You can smell a slight tartness.

T: Pretty fantastic array of flavors that hit your tongue from beginning to end. Sweet fruity tastes paired with a decent amount of tartness. Cherry and grape are the stand outs along with Cabernet and hints of oak.

M: Light to medium bodied with a great amount of carbonation. Smooth, very smooth.

O: A fantastic beer that I can't believe I have left sitting on the shelves all these times. I have always been skeptical of the price for these but now i know they are the real deal. Will be coming back multiple times for this.

4.77/5  rDev +8.2%

From Notes: 4/19/09
Russian River Brewing Co.
Consecration 2008 Batch #001X3
10% Abv.
750ml into NB Snifter

Appearance=Poured a big 2 finger head, which quickly dissipated. Redish, black beer with a lot of carbonation.

Smell= Awesome! Oak, Cab, green apples, yeast.

Taste= Awesome! Sour, yet not overpowering. Very, very tasty!

Mouthfeel= Thin side, good carbonation and a lively mouthfeel. Almost perfect...

Drinkability= High. Extremely good. Alcohol is hidden nicely. Taste is awesome. Nose is awesome. What more could you want?

Poured into a Stone RIS. Not sure on batch, but I am pretty sure it was the most recent one to date.

A: Pours a reddish-brown, translucent, with no foam.

S: Smells of barnyard funk, red win, and plums.

T: sour cherries and red wine, barnyard funk, with hints of vanilla and oak.

M/D: very little carbonation, medium body. Fruity and sour. I drank this after a cantillon rose de gambrinus, and I knew this was good, but it was tough for the Consecration to follow the Cantillon.

4.32/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a 750mL corked and caged bottle (Batch 001X2) into a snifter.

A: Dark amber with one and a half fingers of tan head. Dissipates into a small ring.

S: Tart cherries, vinegar, oak.

T: Oak and tannins like a cabernet with the added punch of brett.

MF: Medium bodied, but VERY tart!

D: Slow drinking due to the mouth-puckering tartness. Still managed to finish the whole bottle over the course of an evening though. Very tasty!

Consecration from Russian River Brewing Company