White Apron - Russian River Brewing Company

pDev: n/a
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Czech Pilsener |  ABV ?

Beer added by: Beernf on 02-13-2011

Brewed exclusively for Thomas Keller restaurants.
4.25/5  rDev n/a

On tap at Bar Bouchon in Beverly Hills, as it is the exclusive vendor of this beer. Served in a tall flute, similar to a champagne flute but wider and taller.

A: Wonderful golden color, very carbonated with a nice bubbly head that has nice retention with really nice lacing on the sides.

S: Very floral. Nice citrus and subtle biscuit notes compliment this well.

T: Really lovely floral and citrus flavors, I kind of expect most Pilseners to be a little bland, and watery, but this is really flavorful. Balanced well with toasted biscuit flavors.

M: In a word, crisp. Very much like a sparkling wine or mineral water, smooth, wonderful finish.

O: This was a stumbled upon find, went in for a load of bread, ended up trying this out. It's really a top quality Pilsener. This will be amazing to drink all summer, just wish it was a more affordable place, but like the previous reviewer said, kind of adds a little extra to it. (931 characters)

4.08/5  rDev n/a

From a bottle at Thomas Keller's Bouchon in Beverly Hills, CA.

This is the beer that Russian River is making for Bouchon, and only Bouchon. Kind of pretentious, but also sort of a treat to go get to try something unique and difficult to get. I had tried Blue Apron at the French Laundry, so i figured i had to complete the 'Apron' series with this one.

Its a Pilsner style beer, but when i first tasted it, i definitely thought i was drinking an herb beer or a saison. Not like traditional pilsners i have had over the years. It comes in a small 10oz glass with a full inch and a half of pure white head. Looks like they decapitate it ala Stella Artois. The beer itself is a straw yellow and kind of cloudy. Cannot see through it.

Smell was herbal and fresh. We were eating seafood when i got the beer, and the combination of the 2 was interesting. Also had some kind of bread note in the nose. I was pretty excited to taste it at this point.

Taste did not disappoint. As mentioned, it really tasted tarter and spicier than what i think of as a traditional Pilsner. Definitely a sipping beer. Had a lot of citrus in it as well, but that tartness really popped through everything else. Aftertaste was not bad, but sort of weird feeling in my mouth. I wanted to eat food after taking a sip every time.

Very drinkable, i had 2 during my lunch and could probably do another. It was a fun experience to try something so limited and kind of a bummer that i can't get this or Blue Apron outside of going to eat at a really expensive restaurant. But hey, that's what makes it special right? (1,599 characters)

4.55/5  rDev n/a
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this beer two weeks ago on tap at Bouchon in Yountville. It was a great surprise finding this on the menu especially since I didn't even know it existed.

A: Typical of a pilsener, light golden with high clarity and a thin bright white head that laced beautifully.

S: Effervescent with citrus and floral notes with just a hint of that wet hop smell.

T/M: A bit more carbonation and hops than I'm used to in a pils and I loved it. The more foreword hop character is well balanced by a toasty malt core; in the end more flavor than I'm used to for this style. That extra bubble conveys a mild tartness that is refreshing and dry but not overly so.

I usually never go out of my way for a pilsener but I wish this one was available in bottles. While I always appreciate the heavier structure of an ale or IPA, this beer on a hot summer's day in the park would be spectacular. In my book this beer sets the bar for Pilseners and any problems I could find have nothing to do with the actual beer and more with my preference for other styles. (1,046 characters)

White Apron from Russian River Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.