Row 2/Hill 56 - Russian River Brewing Company

Row 2/Hill 56Row 2/Hill 56

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: litheum94 on 01-22-2012)
jrallen34

07-29-2013 11:45:18 | More by Cynic-ale
thagr81us

South Carolina

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Big thanks goes out to BilbosNuts for this one! Served from bottle into a COAST Willi. Poured a nice golden yellow with slight orange hue with a two finger slightly off-white head that subsided to one finger very slowly. Maintained excellent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, grapefruit, grapefruit hop, fruit, and very subtle pine. The flavor was of sweet malt, tropical fruit, citrus, citrus hop, grapefruit hop, fruit, and subtle grapefruit. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. I was really intrigued by this one upon seeing its release from the brewery. I know RR is good at making IPA/IIPAs so I wanted to see what they could do with an APA. I can honestly say that they did quite a nice job on this one. The simcoe is a very nice hop and this brew definitely showcases this fact throughout each sip and especially in the aroma. This brew also brings a very nice balance of flavor and aroma with it as well to keep your palate intrigued throughout. Up there as one of the best APAs I’ve had, but not quite up to Zombie Dust standards as I would have LOVED to find.

08-24-2012 18:28:06 | More by thagr81us
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

I wanted this the minute I heard about it. A low ABV all Simcoe hop pale ale from Russian River? Yes please! Thank you, Chris.

Pouring the expected light amber with a dense off-white head with rather excellent retention and lacing, this is a gorgeous beer. Clarity is pretty high as well. The nose has the gorgeous Simcoe hop character, reminding me immediately of Pliny the Elder. Floral and fruity, there's plenty of tropical fruit here with mango and papaya. A delicate orange/citrus character, one I can only describe as pellucid is also present.

The beer really does shine on the palate. With a beautiful balance between a clean bitterness and plenty of hop flavor, this beer is excellent. Tropical fruit is present by the boatload, especially on the mid-palate, with mango and papaya and plenty of soft citrus notes. Ripe but not too sweet citrus fruits (navel oranges in particular come to mind). Drying and mildly bitter on the finish, with a mild herbal character, this beer is light in body, softly carbonated and a sublime drinker. Malt presence is faint, lending just a hint of cracker-like character to the mid-palate, but apart from that, this beer is a showcase for hops.

Maybe I'm imagining things, but the similarities of this beer with Elder are pretty strong, especially the water profile. I mention that in particular, because unlike Blind Pig which has plenty of bitterness and hop resin, this beer, along with Elder, is a lot less palate crushing (that term doesn't even apply here). This allows me to pick up just a faint bit of chalkiness on the palate, a characteristic I'm usually not a big fan of, but works. And as a final point of comparison, I would have to say this is #3 on my APA list, behind Hoppy Birthday and Parking Violation. Still, an excellent beer.

**Edit 2 hours later**
So I've split this one with my dad and am ruing my decision. I think the appropriate serving size for this beer is 2liters. As it warms up, it becomes increasingly juicy and delicious. The nose exudes a certain classiness and delicacy that really calls out for a slightly higher score. I want to up the scores, but I'm hesitant.

02-15-2012 03:02:08 | More by DefenCorps
claspada

10-17-2013 13:20:14 | More by claspada
bsuedekum

Missouri

07-26-2014 19:08:27 | More by bsuedekum
Duff27

4.13/5  rDev -3.7%

Inch tall white head on a golden orange. Head never fully recedes. Sticky lacing.

Bitter citrusy hops on the nose.

Well balanced...malt backbone can stand up to the floral citrusy hop assault. Tasty!

Medium mouthfeel, seemingly low carbonation for the style.

Big time flavor on a microscopic abv'ed beer. Highly drinkable. Another winner from Russian River. Thanks kawilliams82.

08-30-2012 22:54:16 | More by Duff27
Haybeerman

02-07-2013 21:32:22 | More by Haybeerman
Gobzilla

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

A: poured a golden orange in color with yellow highlights and a nice finger of head that had great retention but left plenty of lacing sticking to the glass.

S: upfront there was plenty of pine hops that were noticeable, grassy notes, some citrus such as lemon and grapefruit but had a nice sweetness that wasn't overwhelming.

T: the hop profile was just expectional which brought piney, citrusy, grassy, earthy character alongside a well balanced malty sweetness and a touch of grapefruit bitterness.

M: the brew was medium to full in body with good amount of carbonation which had a hoppy, citrusy, earthy, mild sweet, oily and slight bitter finish.

O: this beer is at the top of its class even beating so called IPAs on the shelf. Really well balanced and great hop forward pale ale. I expected nothing less from RR.

07-17-2012 11:46:54 | More by Gobzilla
illidurit

10-23-2013 03:30:00 | More by illidurit
popery

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

I had a few pints at the brewpub. It pours a gorgeous shade of gold, relatively pale. Nice white head and lots of lacing. The aroma has a ton of flowery hop aroma. It's a mouth-watering mix of bright citrus, tangerine, lemon, some tropical fruit (pineapple/mango) and light spruce/pine. Just wonderful. Some light sugary caramel malt peeks through the hops. The beer is dry and light on the palate. There's a gentle caramel backbone with definite but light bitterness. It's very easy to drink. I keep using the word light but it's a very flavorful lightness. For my palate, it's perfectly balanced and as good of a session-ish IPA (not really sure what to call these APAs that are dry and hopped up like IPAs/DIPAs) as I've had. The finish is crisp with more marvelous floral hop character. It's an excellent beer. I still remember liking Hopfather a touch more, so I'll stick with 4.5s, but this is an absolutely worthy edition to RR's APA/IPA/DIPA lineup.

04-27-2012 22:07:36 | More by popery
aasher

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +5.6%

This was courtesy of BrewerB in a recent box. Thanks Brian!

Bottle date is 6/26. This one pours a light bodied unpolished gold in clor with a very soapy two finger head. The nose is fresh and like sticking your face in a bucket of Smcoe. It's light and floral and the malt certainly takes a backseat. I do appreciate how pale the malt is, allowing the hops to shine. The flavors too are hoppy, clean, and floral. There is also a perfumey essence. I love how straightforward it is. Simcoe isn't my favorite hop varietal but that doesn't phase me from cherishing this beer. It would be fun to see what other hop varietals could do with this recipe. It drinks light and is very smooth. Overall this is a great pale. I would place it behind Zombie Dust and the Hill Farmsteads but that already puts it in an elite class.

08-01-2012 04:10:28 | More by aasher
Lare453

12-23-2013 01:12:37 | More by Lare453
ArrogantB

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

500ml bottle dated 6/26 so this was three weeks old when I drank it, perfect. Thanks to bugdoc for sending this to me, appreciate it man. Orange yellow appearance, good head and lacing. Smells like simcoes, hints of cat pee, delicious. Mouthfeel is thick. Flavor is delicious simcoes with a good maltiness. This is a great hoppy pale ale but not something I would probably drink a whole sixer (not that I could ever get one) because it was a little chewy. Very glad to have had a shot at this beer.

07-22-2012 19:08:00 | More by ArrogantB
FosterJM

4.03/5  rDev -6.1%

1386th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint
500ml

6/26/12
Purchased from El Cerrito Liquor, Corona, CA

App- More of a orange mixed with yellow and a bit clear. Good clarity in the bottle with a huge 2-1/2 finger white head. Nice bubble activity with a good amount of cling and sticky lace down the glass.

Smell- A bit of a damp citrus with some very earthy and grassy notes. Smells a bit like a small IPA mixed with some liquid simple syrup. A bit full on the nose with more orange and tangerine aromas.

Taste- For a APA its drinking very large. The flavors are well balanced between a damp citrus with a soft earthy flavor. A bit thick with a pine balance. Not over the top, not a 5 but for an APA its very good. The simcoe is only thing keeping it from a 5. Has a flavor I can't pin and that doesnt work for me.

Mouth- A larger medium body with a medium carbonation. A bit dry and sticky. Residual earthy citrus flavors.

Drink- Call it an APA its fine. Ill stick with a small IPA all day long. I'd like another bottle on a hot day but wont go crazy trying to find one.

07-13-2012 03:20:17 | More by FosterJM

09-01-2013 13:49:18 | More by EgadBananas
eawolff99

02-07-2012 03:53:30 | More by eawolff99
cpetrone84

On tap. pour is a clear golden orange with a creamy white head. Nose is tight with light malt caramel and some nice grainy malt. Good hop profile, notes of citrus and strong herbal presence. Taste is balanced, dry finish, tight balance, grain and faint sweet caramel with citrus and herbal hops.

10-09-2012 17:02:01 | More by cpetrone84
mhaugo

02-25-2013 15:58:20 | More by mhaugo
AngusOg

06-20-2013 19:50:21 | More by AngusOg
Reagan1984

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

Many thanks to Ultraman9000 for providing this treat (growler) in a recent trade. Sitting with my second glass from the growler as I write this review. Very excited as this is a great beer in the spirit of Daisy Cutter. (which is a huge compliment as far as I’m concerned.
A finger of foamy bright white head settles fairly quickly and begins to deposit lace everywhere. 1/2 the glass is covered in a single/complete sheet of lace. The beer is a bright brass color with perfect clarity.

Aroma is just fantastic. Huge floral, perfume notes that contain a lot of grapefruit peel and other citrus notes including a sense of tropical fruit. There are some slight green resinous things happening, but very subtle.

Bright, fresh, clean and balanced. Just wonderful. The malt backbone is cracker like, slightly bready and nice. Just some light toasted notes. Over this is a lot of juicy hop flavor and some green hop notes and also a lot of grapefruit peel. Again, the tropical fruit is here, but not quite in your face.

The body is one of the main differences here vs. am IPA. Definitely lighter and almost refreshing.

Hugging the line between a hoppy APA and an IPA is a beautiful place. The lighter abv and body are a welcome treat. I realize at 5.8% this isn’t a traditional session beer, but man it’s close. I am hoping that other brewers realize this is a great space and continue to produce beers like this. Kudos Russian River. Well done.

04-30-2012 02:10:08 | More by Reagan1984
VelvetExtract

4.65/5  rDev +8.4%

A-Pours a toasty, dark orange with light murkiness. Head is thinner. Light lacing. The body is dark but it omits an eye-catching, dull glow.

S-This is why I will alway, always, ALWAYS trust a hoppy Russian River brew. The aroma is just a squishy, juicy cup of hop-juice. I found out this was 100% Simcoe and I as surprised. It is just so damn complex in the hoppy aromas it provides. I find a lot of Simcoe to be a bit too rough for me in certain brews. Row 2/Hill 56 is tropical and ripe and evolving. A very hop-stressed APA. There is some caramel and dough there. Great aroma.

T-Flavor is even better. The malt provides a semi-stable balance until the onslaught of tropical hop flavors arrive with full power. Russian River nails those tropical-hop flavors. Exotic pineapple and apricot with some underripe melon. Grass, grapefruit and oranges too. A tickle of pineapple as well! Excellent.

M-The body matches the ABV but the flavors would pair more with a DIPA. Bitter but nothing to brazen. I may have finished this glass the quickest of them all during my stay at the brewpub.

O/D-One of the best APAs I have had. Right there with Blind Pig and within shouting distance of Pliny the Elder. They all have similar flavor aspects. In conclusion: I could drink this forever and would never lose my shit-eating grin.

02-05-2013 04:25:27 | More by VelvetExtract