Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 12,354 | Reviews: 3,482
4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Even old... this was an incredible beer. I can't wait to have it fresh fresh fresh.

4.15/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

May 30, 2015

510 ml bottle, IPA glass

A – Light amber with an orange hue, very clear. Over an inch of mostly white foam, thick, mildly craggy, with very long retention.

S – Grapefruit, pine, resin, some woodiness and mint as well. Light crackery malt. A bit of lemon-lime.

T – A lot of hops, pine, woodsy, and low grapefruit. Intensely bitter, a significant hop snap comes in very quickly. A bit of orangey, lemon-lime zest. Grainy-malt sweetness, light bread crust, a touch of honey-like sweetness.

M – Moderate-low carbonation, medium-full in body. Definitely sweet up front but massive hop bite comes in very quickly and resonates throughout the drink.

O – A very well made beer, clearly the intent to create a tongue-lashingly bitter hop bomb was executed. That said, a bit unbalanced for my taste.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The fresher the better! Great smell and amazing taste. Very hoppy but it is always smooth and balanced. This has become my regular everyday beer. It's one of my top three favorite IPA's.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It's a really good IPA, but does it really live up to the hype? It's damn good, but not quite the best IPA I've ever had...

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Wow! Well balanced through out the whole experience! Lived up to the hype. This is the second time I had it and I've had many ipas n dipas and tipas in between.. Still taste exceptionally great! Had the privilege to taste a heady topper last night with my bro who has a hook up from Vermont, and.... Both are definitely world class but I give the edge to Pliny, thanks to stone brewery for bringing Pliny down here to the Mecca.

Balanced perfection provides a phenomenal sensory experience that's hard to replicate especially at 8%.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Went to the brewery/bar in Santa Rosa on way to Napa/Sonoma. Glad I made the side trip. They really know what they're doing. Place was packed on a random Wednesday. Pliny is one phenomenon IPA, possibly best I've ever had definitely in top 3. Lots of pine and grapefruit but also incredibly well balanced for a double and the 8% is almost unnoticeable.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

The clouds parted and light came down from the heavens above.....

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Hop aroma. Thick head. Wow first time I've had this. Nice balance for a hoppy beer. I like it. I'm told this a highly sought after beer. I can see why it's liked.

4.51/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Much easier to find then the younger and better tasting. A couple great bottle shops in Sd offer this beer once a month and it flies off the shelves. Scent is very piny, with small hints of citrus. Medium to low mouthfeel providing a smooth aftertaste. Always worth a pint or bottle purchase.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Toronado. San Diego. Perfection. Juicy A.F.

Great Double IPA Drove 6 hours from LA to get to Russian river

Smooth, clean and well balanced. Very much a a West Coast IPA. Delicious.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

on of my favorite ipa's. a little over priced tho

Probably the best IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Nothing can be said about this beer that haven't been said already. My buddy and I got heavily buzzed off a growler in one sitting and regretted we didn't pick up a case.

4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid Double IPA, nothing exceptional, but well above average. Definitely is a malt forward beer with a decent amount of pine like hops.

Hard to find. Got lucky late last year. Great stuff.

4.52/5  rDev -3%

Finally got to try this beast!...What a treat. The quintessential west coast IPA. Very similar bitterness and citrus fruit presence one would anticipate from the style, but every aspect seems to just be a little better than the competition. Excellent carbonation level and mouthfeel for an IPA with a great taste and a good nose.

I do not know how else to say this without sounding grandiose, but I feel like I have truly found the holy grail of all IPAs. Being in NY I am unable to get this one and have thus wanted to get my hands on it for a while to see what all the hype was about. Luckily, my father went on a trip to the Bay Area recently with a request to find Pliny. He brought back three bottles, which did nothing to disappoint. Holy mother of all beers! I never curse in reviews, but,.... here goes...this is the greatest fucking shit I've ever tasted in my life!!!
Straight from that lovely golden pour, the most delicious aromas emanated from the glass. Tropical fruits, malty sweetness, citric, resiny and piney hops, floral esters...it had it all! I was inhaling with gusto! What a delicious taste! A hop bomb with perhaps the greatest hops to malt balance ever. So complex; fruity, bready, piny, hoppy. A strong grapefruit and resiny hops finish. What a mouthfeel! I could swirl it in my mouth all day long.
I'm so sad to have finished my 3 bottles. I am still dreaming of the taste and hope to feel it again soon. I did not have to think twice about giving this one a straight 5. It's perfect and pretty damned special.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally got to try this. Thanks Brian for bringing this back from California. Bottled on 4/21. Perfect golden body with a wonderful white head. Tons of pine in the aroma. Puts you right in the mindset of walking in a pine forest. Huge bitter pine flavor with tons of citrus taste. So good. Seems like an excellent balance of pine and citrus, probably leaning more on the pine side. Oddly, there was still some left in the bottle after the bottle share, so I went back for seconds..

2.82/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Don't waste your time trying to get this one.
Stones enjoy by overshadows this beer. It's only good as trade bait.

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's a great beer, when you're drinking it you can't tell that it's a double Ipa thats 8%. Is it worth all the hype? Naw I don't personally think so, but if it is on tap I will for sure get a pint. I personally like a bitter bite when I drink an Ipa and it doesn't really deliver that.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gold draft pour, white head, and good lace. Grapefruit and pine nose. Tart fresh squeezed grapefruit with fresh hop finish; malt foundation holds it all together well. Medium mouthfeel with pine resin tongue coating. Excellent - one of the best beers I've ever had!

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cask - San Francisco, CA - bottle (but previously enjoyed on draft at Toronado)

4.45/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer overall (ie the 100 point rating). It's always a race to our local Total Wine to be one of the few to get one and always a treat if you're lucky enough. For me, I enjoy bright citrus notes which Elder only has subtle hints of, but this is definitely a beer in my top 5 and I highly recommend trying.

to view more.