Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 12,333 | Reviews: 3,475
4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

The clouds parted and light came down from the heavens above.....

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Hop aroma. Thick head. Wow first time I've had this. Nice balance for a hoppy beer. I like it. I'm told this a highly sought after beer. I can see why it's liked.

4.51/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Much easier to find then the younger and better tasting. A couple great bottle shops in Sd offer this beer once a month and it flies off the shelves. Scent is very piny, with small hints of citrus. Medium to low mouthfeel providing a smooth aftertaste. Always worth a pint or bottle purchase.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Toronado. San Diego. Perfection. Juicy A.F.

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Great Double IPA Drove 6 hours from LA to get to Russian river

Smooth, clean and well balanced. Very much a a West Coast IPA. Delicious.

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

on of my favorite ipa's. a little over priced tho

Probably the best IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Nothing can be said about this beer that haven't been said already. My buddy and I got heavily buzzed off a growler in one sitting and regretted we didn't pick up a case.

4.39/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Solid Double IPA, nothing exceptional, but well above average. Definitely is a malt forward beer with a decent amount of pine like hops.

Hard to find. Got lucky late last year. Great stuff.

4.52/5  rDev -3%

Finally got to try this beast!...What a treat. The quintessential west coast IPA. Very similar bitterness and citrus fruit presence one would anticipate from the style, but every aspect seems to just be a little better than the competition. Excellent carbonation level and mouthfeel for an IPA with a great taste and a good nose.

I do not know how else to say this without sounding grandiose, but I feel like I have truly found the holy grail of all IPAs. Being in NY I am unable to get this one and have thus wanted to get my hands on it for a while to see what all the hype was about. Luckily, my father went on a trip to the Bay Area recently with a request to find Pliny. He brought back three bottles, which did nothing to disappoint. Holy mother of all beers! I never curse in reviews, but,.... here goes...this is the greatest fucking shit I've ever tasted in my life!!!
Straight from that lovely golden pour, the most delicious aromas emanated from the glass. Tropical fruits, malty sweetness, citric, resiny and piney hops, floral esters...it had it all! I was inhaling with gusto! What a delicious taste! A hop bomb with perhaps the greatest hops to malt balance ever. So complex; fruity, bready, piny, hoppy. A strong grapefruit and resiny hops finish. What a mouthfeel! I could swirl it in my mouth all day long.
I'm so sad to have finished my 3 bottles. I am still dreaming of the taste and hope to feel it again soon. I did not have to think twice about giving this one a straight 5. It's perfect and pretty damned special.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Finally got to try this. Thanks Brian for bringing this back from California. Bottled on 4/21. Perfect golden body with a wonderful white head. Tons of pine in the aroma. Puts you right in the mindset of walking in a pine forest. Huge bitter pine flavor with tons of citrus taste. So good. Seems like an excellent balance of pine and citrus, probably leaning more on the pine side. Oddly, there was still some left in the bottle after the bottle share, so I went back for seconds..

2.82/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Don't waste your time trying to get this one.
Stones enjoy by overshadows this beer. It's only good as trade bait.

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

It's a great beer, when you're drinking it you can't tell that it's a double Ipa thats 8%. Is it worth all the hype? Naw I don't personally think so, but if it is on tap I will for sure get a pint. I personally like a bitter bite when I drink an Ipa and it doesn't really deliver that.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Gold draft pour, white head, and good lace. Grapefruit and pine nose. Tart fresh squeezed grapefruit with fresh hop finish; malt foundation holds it all together well. Medium mouthfeel with pine resin tongue coating. Excellent - one of the best beers I've ever had!

4.86/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Cask - San Francisco, CA - bottle (but previously enjoyed on draft at Toronado)

4.45/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Excellent beer overall (ie the 100 point rating). It's always a race to our local Total Wine to be one of the few to get one and always a treat if you're lucky enough. For me, I enjoy bright citrus notes which Elder only has subtle hints of, but this is definitely a beer in my top 5 and I highly recommend trying.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Lagunitas taste-a-like. -.5 for the hype

4.41/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Perfect example of the style. Well rounded IIPA with all the elements you look for. Glorious piney, bready and citrusy aroma. Pine, slight citrus, slight floral flavor with malt to back it up. Sticky, full texture with a slightly dry finish.

The king of the piney ipa's. The gold standard of beer. The granddaddy of them all. The sultan of swat. The.....

Friend brought me back two from a west coast trip. Pleasure to finally have this one. Another friend mentioned that it was like an IPA marshmallow that melts in your mouth. It was an incredible beer. Super thankful to try it. Damn good. One of the best I have ever had for sure.

4.57/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Sublime taste. Thick and syrupy pine flavor and smooth sudsy mouth feel. Would drink again.

Perfection. There is no rival.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

16oz bottle (4 days old!) poured into a Russian River pint glass

A - crystal clear, golden amber color. Tons of carbonation. Bright white, fluffy head.

S - Super dank, piney, grapefruit, grapefruit pith. Very bitter, in your face hops. West Coast style at its finest.

T - Amazing stuff. Huge grapefruit bitterness, orange, pine, resinous, dank hops. Grapefruit rind, orange pith on the back end. Bitterness lingers, but the bready malts balance Pliny well. Very easy drinking for an 8%

O - I've had Pliny tons, but having a 4 day old bottle in So Cal was a treat. People say this is a fast fader, but it doesn't get much better than this - for the West Coast style - when fresh. Highest of recommendations.

to view more.