Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view more.
Ratings: 12,143 | Reviews: 3,423
4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

a great smoothing tasting beer

4.73/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not a big DIPA fan but this one is special. I'll be looking for more in the near future.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Have had this a number of times, and my original view was strong pine aroma and taste with a bit of citrus thrown in. It was one of the most flavorful and "hoppy" beers I'd ever had. That was prior to me getting in to the "craft beer craze" and trying many more different Double IPAs (and even Triple) over the past 3 months (late bloomer i know). My palate has adjusted a bit. While I still sense the pine, its not nearly as strong and now i taste a little resin on finish. It is incredibly smooth to mefor 8%, which actually is fairly moderate these days for a Double IPA. Perfect balance to me of hops/malt. Hard to find, but lucky my local place has it and can find bottles if i get to my liquor store early enough. Will need to trek up to Russian River to try at the brewery. Prefer draft to bottle and prefer closer to room temp than fridge cold.

4.4/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hard to believe I conquered the mountain and secured a couple of these. Hate to nit pick but two of these were purchased 4/01, but we're bottled 3/07?? They don't sit in the shelf so I guess they sat at the brewery? In any event impossible to live up to the hype. More bitter on the back end than I expected. Good but not mind blowing. Purely from taste, Heady and Zombie way better. Update- One day later, had another and I have to admit the balance of malt and hops is pretty fucking good.

Ah, the original

First double IPA I ever had..it was wonderful!

Brewing art and science have moved on since then, and newer brewers (who drank LOTS of Plinys) are pushing the style

Vinnie (the inventor) seems to be going off in another direction, and not advancing the art and science of IPA

Great when fresh! Inconsistent when bottled or old..yes, I've had many a bad Pliny

Best at the brewery..but the crowds can make the visit very uncomfortable

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Personally no different from any IPA out there, however I do like the fruity after taste. Weirdly enough I always find myself taking off early from work on Wednesdays to pickup Plinys for the weekend...

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had it on tap at the brewery, awesome. Had it in a bottle from a trade, pretty good.

4.8/5  rDev +3%

Classic go-to. Superb IPA. Enough said.

4.8/5  rDev +3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

An amazing Ale, It's pungeant smell is that of pine and light citrus and for those who smoke herb, a great deal dank. The taste follows, and for 8% this ale goes down smoother than silk. The only problem with this amazing beer is the fact you can only buy 2 bottles at a time and it's limited availability, but if you live in CA or are visiting, definitely you have to try this at least once.

4.08/5  rDev -12.4%

Finally had the opportunity to try Pliny the Elder and must say I was extremely disappointed. While it's a solid IIPA, I've had much better. Don't believe the hype.

Muy bien equilibrada, amargor persistente en el fondo de la boca, sabores cítricos, piña y pino.

4.52/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got this in a trade it definitely lives up to the hype this is a ridiculously well balanced dipa

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Great great great beer!!

4.33/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tasty but very bitter. Not as good as everyone says.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

Great beer, could drink it all day.

If this beer had a vagina I'd definitely have sexual relations with it! I'm seriously considering divorcing the wife and starting a new life with Pliny the Elder. I want to make babies with this beer and pick out window treatments on a Sunday while the big game is on and you know what I don't care about missing the game because I'm in love! And if you can't respect that then Gtfoh!!

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

it's tough to live up to the hype around this beer, but Pliny gives more than a fair shake to that task. i could go on and on about the hop/malt balance, but it's pretty redundant at this stage in the beer's storied history.

as an east-coaster transplanted in the bay area, I can wholeheartedly say that my quality of life has improved, thanks in no small part to the presence of PtE.

my near-perfect rating just reflects the fact that despite how good a beer is, it can always be made better (i'm looking at you, craft breweries worldwide -- are you up to the challenge?!)

4.94/5  rDev +6%

I never want to die after tasting this glorious brew. IPA for life!

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Again, not the biggest IPA fan, but this is tasty. Had it from bottle and tap, tap is the way to go.

This beer is perfect from start to finish. Yes it does in fact live up to the Hype. Only problem I have with this beer is I am out of it. But I look forward to getting some in the future, hopefully sooner rather than later. My only advice is Get Some!!!!
5/5
O.B.D91

4.32/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a lovingly shipped aliquot (thank you MNishCT77) born on 021115 into IPA glasses and enjoyed in both sips and gulps over 30 minutes.

It fills a lustrous golden base with stinging clarity and ample lines of rising carbonation. Those bubbles feed a white head of soap suds that hangs on nicely, maintaining frothy clumps down to nearly the last sip. Lacing is pretty, but finer than the cap would predict.

The nose is surprisingly mute--not unpleasant at all. But dank and toasty in a way that mutes the expected fruits and evergreens. There's even a touch of musty, fermenting earth under the pineapple, mango, and dried spruce. With warmth, the bouquet gets a little more interesting with some apricot and unripe raspberry notes.

Flavors are so intricately woven together and shrouded in a thin coat of barley, that nothing stands out here either. It's a testament to expert craftsmanship, but also lacks compelling taste -- I find myself reaching for another sip and another and another looking for the flavors I thought would jump over my teeth. This creation does leave room for a nice note of sweet soil and organic hen blend, though. After a bitter beginning that is cut short by the feel of bubbles, there's a breadfruit and mango essence that slides across pithy citrus into just the right amount of hop twang and funk. But then, there isn't much to follow apart from a nutty chew that's part of extended length that offers only flavor suggestions in an almost watery watermelon and guava quench. Papaya comes out when it's warm. Bigger gulps offer more compelling hits of flavor and there is more fruit clinging to the yeast in the bottom, but man would it take a lot of drinking to enjoy it that way...

The mouthfeel absolutely tops the list of elements here. It feels so good to keep drinking and playing with, despite my yearning for more intense flavor. It appears to have more carbonation than it delivers; and that's just right for the light but clingy hop oils and muted earthiness. Those bubbles bring out a hint of spice mid-palate that helps it go with food (enjoyed my pork BBQ)--but this may be the easiest drinking double I've ever had because of how it lays out over the tongue and slides down.

This beer is remarkably assembled. I find it downright soft and buoyant, and there's nothing out of balance. Sadly, though, I find the lack of seams and absence of powerful flavors a bit disappointing. It lacks character, even though I appreciate just how technically sound it is. It's like listening to finely filtered Kenny G piped into an art gallery instead of John Coltrane live. I might pick up that album and listen again and again to marvel at the technique, but I'd really rather be in the smoke and sweat of a jazz club, even if going back means it won't ever be the same twice.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Pliney the Younger's "older brother", available year round and in bottles / growlers. Very hoppy and strong. By far, Russian River's most popular brew. Weird thing is, the Elder and the Younger are two very different brews. The Younger is not the Elder only more so, if that makes any sense.

Imperial IPA very well done beer. Gotta try it if you haven't, must remember it if you have.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Exceptional IPA, indeed sets the standard. Hoppy goodness flowing throughout bottle and the citrus crushes any alcohol taste. Definitely wanted more as soon as I was done.

Lucky enough to get to try this at the Falling Rock Taphouse in Denver. Didn't think it could live up to the hype, but damn if it isn't just about perfect.

to view more.