2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,774 | Reviews: 3,060 | Show All Ratings:
bigman147

New Hampshire

I was able to try this recently when a friend from work was able to acquire a 1/2 barrel for his homebrewing Christmas party. He was able to bottle a sample for me to try. I was weary as I couldn't imagine it could live up to the hype. I was wrong. It poured light amber/gold with a pleasant white head. Aroma of pine and citrus. The body of the beer was hard to find since it was hiding behind the hops. All I could think of as I drank it was how much I like hops. Crisp clean finish. Drinkability was limited by the volume I had. If could see drinking more than one of these in a sitting but not much more than 3.

01-07-2006 03:08:13 | More by bigman147
AlexJ

I finally tasted Pliny. It's all true folks. This beer is a masterpiece of brewing. Clear glowing honey colored pour with a densely layeres eggshell white head that remains as a tight cap, leaving gentle rings of crusty lace.

Aroma makes me want to cry it's so good. Generous golden malt roast washed away by floods of sticky orange, grapefruit, grated lemon zest, sweet wildflowers, and freshly shaved pine bark. I would wear this as cologne.

Flavor mimics the nose, only it's better! A perfectly clean golden malt entry with hints of honey and sweet biscuits is carried away by waves of grapefruit and tangerine, pinapple, freshly crushed wildflowers steeped in honey, and resinous, oily cannabis pine sap that is both sticky and coating. Glorious, magnificant, stupendous, marvelous stuff this is!

Body is bigger than medium, not quite large, with a creamy mouthfeel, tight carbonation, and a sticky, resinous texture that just begs for another sip of this sweet, sweet nectar.

03-02-2006 14:15:42 | More by AlexJ
kmcnair

Hello, my name is Kelsey and I am a hophead.

I remember the first time I tried Pliny, so innocent and nieve I was... a night at O'Brien's Pub in San Diego with friends... "Oh, Pliny the Elder, thats a weird name for a beer... I'll try that one." And the rest my friends, is history.

There's a reason why Pliny the Elder is winning gold medals in major beer competitions worldwide. GABF, WBC, (more to come I'm sure...) This beer defines a style, Double IPA beyond compare. Find another IPA that takes hops to this level, infact... I double dog dare you.

This beer pours perfect medium copper and makes a full white head that fades slow, retains well and leaves a great deal of bubbly lacing on my glass.

The aroma is simply hypnotic. I could inhale this beer for hours, pine, citrus, herbal, dank, crisp fresh biscuity caramel malts. Lovely. Stick your nose in the glass and inhale, it is absolutely perfect.

The carpet matches the curtains, the flavor is equally as impressive and complex as the aroma. Stable, clean bitterness, blends with a fortified layer of caramel and nutty malted barley that perfectly balances intense dank, citrus, piney hop flavors. Its spot on, exactly what I would expect the stanard for the style to taste like.

Smooth, clean and crisp carbonation, light to medium bodied, finishes clean and dry. Leaves a lasting impression on the palate. It takes a real accomplishment to be so complex, aromatic and flavorful, yet continues to bring it home through the mouthfeel category as well.

I love this beer, I feel that it does everying that I want it to, and then does it to perfection.

04-21-2006 08:00:17 | More by kmcnair
Callenak

What can I say that hasn't already been said. This beer is pure heaven. I've been fortunate enough to have this beer on many occasions. I don't care where I'm at, or what's on tap, if they have Pliny on tap…I'm drinking it and drinking it first. This is the only beer to date that I've felt worthy of giving all 5's to and waited a while to finally review it. Beatification was a close second. Russian River has quickly became my favorite brewery due to consistently amazing beers. I look forward to many more years of drinking Vinnie's trend setting beers.

08-29-2006 00:24:21 | More by Callenak
bwyker

A HUGE thanks to kmudrick for this treat from Capone's outside of Philly. Growler that got to me about 2 days after pouring.

A: Pours golden, copper-orange with pure-white foam. Given it was a shipped growler from 2 days ago, I had to pour a little faster to get a nice head of foam. It worked and stuck around for a few minutes, leaving some delicate lacing. I'm sure the head retention is far better fresh.

S: Smells of stinging citrus and very sweet sugar. Mesmerizing hop bouquet that you would expect from a bucket of hops in the dry hopping.

T: Lupulin out the wazoo. Damn that's good. Citrus hops delivered via a smoothed, yet very sweet malt punch.

MF: Aggressive hop burn that makes your tongue shrivel and your teeth melt.

Stomach feel: Being eaten by alpha acids!

D: Probably the best characteristic of the elder is that its only 8%. Though that's a high ABV, it's more manageable than the Younger. I *want* to drink the whole growler in one sitting, but I have to pace myself given that it's unlikely I'll see it again anytime soon. Absolutely lived up to the hype. I think the Younger is a greater treat for hop heads, but this one is plenty good while the Younger is aging.

01-18-2007 18:40:04 | More by bwyker
Kadonny

Poured from a fresh flip top Russian River growler gotten via trade with ricand (of which I can never thank him enough for). Great trader, great beer, props to him. Poured from the growler into my nonic pint glass.

A: A light copper orange color. Very light color for a DIPA. Nice deep 2 finger head from the growler pour with very nice carbonation. The grolwer kept the beer in perfect condition. Nice sticky glass lacing.

S: Wow, hops, hops, hops. This beer is a different animal fresh. Smells of pine hops with some mild citrus and sweet malt undertone.

T: Again wow. Massive amounts of pine like chewing on a pine cone. Pine coupled with some floral flavors and some mild citrus backed up by a nice deep malt sweetness. A perfect balance of the massive hops with the malt sweetness and a nice lingering bitterness. Make no mistake, this beer is about the massive amounts of sticky chewy hops and it showcases them perfectly.

M: Medium with a sticky resiny mouthfeel. Nice carbonation and bitterness that lasts. You taste this beer well after it's gone.

D: This is probably the most drinkable double IPA out there. It goes down so easily and it remains enjoyable with every sip.

Overall this is the beer of gods, and for that it will garner my first perfect 5. This is a perfect beer in it's fresh state. I reviewed Pliny from a keg that was tapped here on the east coast, but it didn't hold a candle to the fresh Pliny. All I can say is I was blown away. Thanks again to ricand for allowing me to enjoy this perfect beer.

06-23-2008 12:51:27 | More by Kadonny
ironlung

A: Nice bubbly amber, not much head due to soft pour. Bottle is a riot " sit on eggs not on pliny" humm wonder if i should age this one? LOL

S: Hops, hops and a little malt backing.

T: Wow this is a VERY nice double. the taste is spot on! Nothing overwhelming just perfect balance.

M:All the hops you'd want in a world class double, leaves the mouth dry and waiting for next drink.

D: A damn fine i2pa. The 8% is so well hidden. I am very pleased to be finding this and the pig all around the bay area!

09-30-2008 18:08:30 | More by ironlung
mjryan

Pours a hazy amber colour with a thick white head. Great retention and lace. The smell is very powerfull. It hits you the minute you crack the bottle. Piney (or is that Pliny), grapefuity and floral. No malt detected in the aroma at all. Flavour mirrors the aroma with the addition of a slight grassy taste and an enormous, but not tragically agressive, bitterness. The malt flavour is very nuetral, its sole purpose to cut the hops so they dont burn your face off. Very, very dry finish. Has a lighter body (for a IIPA), which makes this a very drinkable beer. Wow, I could drink this all night, or at least try to. I dont believe its 8%. Good Stuff!

10-01-2008 20:41:12 | More by mjryan
gyllstromk

This beer is in a league of its own.

Elder pours a copper that's clear as water. The head starts with a thick velvety appearance and quickly subsides to leave a frothy halo. Swirls leave soapy lacing along the wall of the glass.

If you took a field of piney hops, grapefruit, and flowers, put them in a blender, and compacted them into a pint, you'd still be nowhere near this aroma. The taste follows with an astringent bite that's powerful and balanced.

Between sips, the taste remains on your lips until the next, begging you to finish the bottle.

I've not tried Younger but I find it impossible that this beer could be improved upon. This beer is beyond all hype. If you love IPAs you will never return from it.

10-02-2008 03:52:21 | More by gyllstromk
Dukeofearl

500 ml bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., $5.99 a bottle (I think).

Let me say this one is not getting my standard review of the 5 elements of a BA beer review. It's too good for that.

This is just one of a few classic, exceptional, first rate beers of the world. I think this is the archetypal American Double (or Imperial) IPA, period. Lots of hops with a great perfumy citrus nose (grapefruit and sweet orange) while refusing to be overpowering, great body without being too big, flavor in every direction without being confusing, and huge drinkability even for its appreciable alcohol content. This is one of my top 5 of all time.

I know it now comes from northern California, but this style started in Riverside County, and for that we shoud all be grateful. Cheers to a great beer.

12-01-2008 02:00:21 | More by Dukeofearl
dondeez21

I received bottles from 2 different trades w/ JamesCrames and Bbothen and was blown away. This is one of the few beers to truly live up to all of the hype. The appearence is a light golden yellow with a very nice thin lacing. The aroama hits you as soon as you open a bottle. Citrus hops can be smelled from a few feet away. The first sip is truly amazing. With so much hop aroama you would think the beer would be way to bitter. It is the total opposite. This beer is extremely balanced with just the right amount of bitterness. Overall I think this is one of the best beers I have ever had the chance to drink and would recommend it to anyone even people who wouldnt consider themselves hopheads.

12-02-2008 22:19:36 | More by dondeez21
Douglas14

This is like a religious experience. It's one of those beers that you drink and you get thrown back in your chair in awe and say "Holy shit!" because you didn't know you could still be impressed this much by a beer. It only happens every-so-often, and it is no doubt what I equate into a "leveling-up" in your beer enlightenment...the way you just thought about beer just changed (hopefully again), and it hit you HARD! I live for moments like these with beer.

On to the review...

Pours an golden color with immaculate clarity. The head is full, thick, white, and absolutely beautiful. The retention is incredible and it leaves awesome and plentiful lace. The aroma is phenomenal; it's super hoppy (obviously), but it's like no other hop aroma you have experienced. A tad but of resin, some pine, some outdoors. Nothing hidden and perfectly balanced. As for the taste...where do I begin. The only way I can describe the taste is that it is the most perfectly balanced DIPA (or even IPA) I have ever had. I'm in awe in the of the hop utilization in this beer: the best I've experienced...I don't know how they did it...simply awesome. The mouthfeel is ridiculously awesome. To say I could drink this all day long is a gross understatement.

Do whatever it takes to get your hands on a bottle.

For your own good, if you are going to trade for it, get it from someone who can get it close by to the source so they can send you a fresh bottle. It would be a shame to not drink this as fresh as possible. Can't wait to move to the Bay Area.

12-03-2008 05:11:38 | More by Douglas14
HoustonTX

Pliny the Elder, an especially great honor for my 300th review.

Pliny the Elder pours out beautiful transcending orange, with streams of refined carbonation, and a small frothy head.

The aroma is extremely fresh, and covered with that good ole West Coast IPA familiarity. Lots of Columbus, Centennials, and Warrior hops to provide a nice barrage of citrusy derivatives. Dank and resinous, almost leaving your nasals dripping with ripe hop oil. Lots of alpha acids, but also an extreme balance - overall a very intense aroma.

At first sip, I muttered "I'm in love". Yes I am, I thought to myself quietly.

The complexity of the hops is absolutely astounding. Incredible depth of intensely fresh bittering dry citric hops, fresh florals, and resinous pines and spiciness.

The citrus hits the palate first, clean florals surround, followed by resinous piney bitters. Grapefruit rinds, acidic orange peels. Deep aromatic florals with a flowery pepper spice profile. More pine and resinous sap with a biscuit malt coating. The pepper and spicy underlays blend perfectly with the citrus and pine notes. Creating such a refined, complex, yet balanced DIPA, that words almost can't describe.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, and just a phenomenal balance. The complexity of Pliny the Elder, is just absolutely mind blowing. This beer has lived up to the hype and surpassed. A West Coast masterpiece, heavenly and divine.

Pliny the Elder is a beast - and the most complex and intensly delicious DIPA in the world.

AMAZING!

12-10-2008 21:27:11 | More by HoustonTX
LilMatrix

Washington

A - Pours clear and light gold/orange with some nice lacing that sticks around for the entire ride.

S - Piney, citrus/grapefruit, floral & hoppy. Smells like one would after frolicking in a field of hops.

T - First taste is hoptastic... goes down smooth and gets even better once the palate adjusts to the hops; light malt sweetness starts coming through. Every sip is more enjoyable than the one before and dissipates in the mouth into a refreshing clean hop taste.

M - Great mouthfeel on this one... Crisp and light going down with medium carbonation and effervescence.

D - Zoinks scoob... this is one tasty beer. 8% you say? Blasphemy! Usually I can't drink but 2-3 IPA's since my palate gets overwhelmed and I'm left with a dry hoppy taste in the back of my throut... but this one... I could drink Pliny all night.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had! RRBC IMO is one of the best American brewers out there.

12-20-2008 23:49:58 | More by LilMatrix
dsantos

Wow, Happy Holidays to me. I got my hands on a bottle of Pliny the Elder this afternoon and decided today would be the day to review this exceptional brew.

A: Pours a golden orange. Not much suds, light head.

S : Definite pine smell, overpowering pine and hops.

T : Extremely smooth and full of hop. More than anything it is CRISP. Not thick, light with some carbonation but just amazingly smooth.

D : Easy to see why people rank it so high. Many of the reviews were right on. It is a highly drinkable beer, the alcohol does not hit you like other beers at this percentage. Great 2IPA. Very deserving of it's high status!

Fantastic beer, so good my friend and I cracked into another bottle this evening because it was so impressive (also deserving of one of my first reviews).

Can't wait to have Pliny the Younger, if I can find it.

12-21-2008 06:33:47 | More by dsantos
Brewsmith

From a 0.5L bottle purchased at Hi Times Cellars in Costa Mesa.

Aroma is thick with hop oils, musky, like I stuck my head in a bag of Cascade or Centennial.

Golden yellow with a fluffy off-white head. Fairly clear.

Flavor is again bursting with hops, orangey pine. Amazingly the malt still balances and t is not over the top.

Clean and dry with some lingering bitterness that is quite refreshing. Not over carbonated. Just about the best Double IPA I have ever had.

01-15-2009 07:42:05 | More by Brewsmith
kwakwhore

Review number 150: I wanted something special for this one. Ordered from Southbay Drugs in San Diego and picked it up from Fedex today.
Bottled on 12/30/2008 so this is fresh!
Beautiful peach/orange color with a smallish white head. Copious lacing on the glass.
Pine dominated scent in the aroma with floral accents. Pine scents stay with the beer all the way down. On further reflection this deserves a 5. Best smelling DIPA ever.
Deliciously grapefruity hops dominate the flavor but in a subtly understated fashion. The bitterness doesn't smack you in the face the way some other west coast IPAs do. An underpinning of malt provides a bit of balance, again in a subtle way. Bitterness persists in a deliciously long lasting finish.
Surprisingly light and refreshing mouthfeel contributes to an exceptionally drinkable beer. I could drink this beer all night. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this was a complete surprise. For an 8%abv beer this is an amazingly delicate, subtle beer. I've had a lot of really good DIPAs but this is truly in a class of its own.

02-01-2009 04:06:07 | More by kwakwhore
discovolante65

Rhode Island

Finally got my hands on some of this. After trying to trade, trying to get "friends" in CA to buy some and ship it, fellow BA bought some online and brought it over for beer night. Thanks Roop40!

I tried not to believe all the hype.
I tried to think of all the DIPA's I have had and how great they all were.
I tried to remember all the great East Coast brewers and their DIPA efforts.
I tried to remain East Coast bias.
In short, I was ready to pick this fucker apart. Even though part of me wanted to love it.

Poured into my Troubadour tulip. Pours the finest Golden Orange color I have seen. Nice one inch off white/ golden head. excellent lacing. Some "stuff" whirling around like a small tornado when agitated.

Smell is typical of DIPAS. Grapefruit, pine forest, with a little honey note in there as well. It has a "bigger, fresher" aroma than I am used to. I could have huffed this thing all night.

What an incredible balance of flavors. Sure, others have these great tastes in them, maybe some even have more hop presence, maybe a little more bitter, maybe some more malt, but NONE are as balanced as this is. Perfect blends of hops and malt. I am blown away by this one.

Mouthfeel is right where it should be. Just the right amount of carbonation, the bite washes away nicely and finishes dry.

Drinkability- Perfect DIPA? IMO- ABSOLUTELY!
Everything about this beer is just right. The look, the smell, the taste, the feel, perfect. If I had more than one I would've drank it. If I had five, I would have sipped them one by one until the sun came up. I cried when my glass was empty.

thank you, Russian River.

03-03-2009 19:35:20 | More by discovolante65
Radiodred

On tap or in a bottle, hands down there is no better DIPA. I travel the west in such a beer that can beat won of Vinnies masterpeices. Keep on pleasing the masses.

A- Not hazey not clear, thick or light, A nice color of meduim. Finger of head, nice lacing.

S- Sweet with citrus fruit. With a hop like bouquet of buds.

T- An amzing journey on your palate. You have a enjoyable welcome of malty citrus, backed up by a creeping of pine, like your first trip to the woods, then a variety of hops to tingle the buds that is Bitterness. The perfect blend goes down so smooth you don't relize its a Double and your about to cath a buzz.

M- great carbination, but so smooth you don't realize its there, it what its suppossed to feel like.

D- Don't look at its place on the list, or take anyones word for it,try it out, its highly recomended for a reason. Let us know what you think, BA rules!

03-04-2009 17:24:22 | More by Radiodred
chiral3

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said in other reviews; I can only uphold the numerical reviews. Amazing.

Pours a beautiful dark orange-gold with a fluffy white head. (I find that at the top of the keg, what I believe to be the volatile terpene oils cling to the sides of the glass forming fingers and releasing scent.)

What hits me first is the smell. This beer involves the senses. Smells of fresh lupulin glands. Incredibly floral. This is honest prologue for what you are getting. Perfect bitter for my taste, and an exceptional pine-forward aroma hop, graduating to fresh citrus, and sweet flowers from some retro-olfactory sense.

This beer has perfect carbonation and mouthfeel, with a tight, sharp finish.

A shot at perfection, trying to replicate some Platonic ideal built on the right type of hop, in the right proportion, with the right base of grains.

04-12-2009 22:20:00 | More by chiral3
drgonzo3705

Bottled 04/07/09

A: It pours a beautiful pale amber color with a thin soapy looking head. Nice sticky lacing left behind.

S: Huge grapefruit up front with some other citrusy flavors blending in. You also get a really big whiff of sweet oily hops.

T: Big on grapefruit and citrus again. Nice oily hop flavors saturate your tongue on its way down. Finishes slightly dry with a very pleasant bitterness.

M: Its actually pretty full bodied, but its not as heavy as some other full bodied IPAs.

D: I love fresh Pliny. Phenomenal example of the style I would drink this beer anytime, anywhere!

04-24-2009 04:04:32 | More by drgonzo3705
dublife1

This Famed Double IPA really deserves all the hype. This beer is truly one in a million! Now on to the review. 500ml bottle poured into my trusty Duvel Tulip.(bottled on 4/07/09) As soon as I opened the bottle the citrus and pine smells were apparent. Tastes were grapefruit up front, followed by more citrus notes and pine of course. Very, very smooth for a double IPA. I could live with just this beer for the rest of my life. Simply incredible!!! Double IPA is my favorite style and this is at the very top of my list! I would love to try the younger when it gets to the Philly area again. The 2 hour drive would be well worth it. If ever there was a beer I would praise as perfect, this would be it! Cheers and go Find Pliny!!!

05-08-2009 18:10:03 | More by dublife1
umpquabrewer

Oregon

Glass- Tripel Karmeliet Tulip

Temp- 49 degrees

A- The head is tight and cream colored, about 1/2in. It is a nice golden raw honey color and unfiltered.

S- The first thing I get is citrus and pine! It starts out grapefruit and pine needles that transition to pine and tangerine. Awesome!

M- The mouth feel is very nice, it's not too light, actually almost creamy.

D- Great carbonation that has a piney, peppery and hoppy finish. It is a wonderful dry finish that allows you to enjoy this great IPA without the expected heaviness.

Ironically this is not my favorite of beer but happens to be my first review. I am now a fan!

06-10-2009 03:09:37 | More by umpquabrewer
smittyjr

WoW, thank you RichBeer for this tasty treat! Being in MN trading or traveling is my only way of accessing this beer.

The bottle had a freshness date of 4.7.09, poured into a short-stemmed, elongated flute glass.

A- pour resulted in a golden-copper body with 2-finger head. Retention good, slight-lacing all the way down the glass. This DIPA looks sexy, awesome clarity, great color and good bubbles/carbonation.

S- This is one of the best smelling beers i have come across, it really smells like gods vagina. Huge grapefruit, mango, pinnapple, citrusy goodness! As it warmed, i smelt a slight skunky-ness to the smell as well, a good skunky-ness, resin skunky-ness. Real deep i smell a small amount of pine as well, it is right alongside the skunky-ness.

T- Very similar to the aroma; tropical fruits, pinneapple, grapefruit, mango. there is also a slight sweet maltiness half way through. slight piney skunkness and slight caramel as it warms. It finishes with a great hop bitterness at the end. Tastes frickin great!

M-Light to medium body, great carbonation, very soft on the palette. leaves your mouth clean, with light bitterness that lingers in a good way!

D- AWESOME! drinkability was through the roof! i thought for a DIPA, the alcohol flavor was non-existent, great work Russian River! it was soft on your palette, tasted phenomenal and left me wanting more!

With a bottle date of 4.7.09 i thought there would be some fading, but i don't think there is any at all! i read many reviews with much fresher bottle date-to-review date ratios, and i don't think i am missing out on any of the described smells, tastes, or mouth-feels.

Thanks again to RichBeer for the hook-up on this bomb beer!

06-16-2009 02:10:51 | More by smittyjr
david18

Love it, love, love it. Like everyone said. The perfect balance of hops and malt that isn't too much of anything. Not too hot, not too hoppy, nothing. Just perfection. I've had it on tap and in bottles. The best part is that it also travels well. I've had this shipped to me in new york from the west coast several times and never had a problem.

06-20-2009 21:25:45 | More by david18