Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 6,403
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,350 | Hads: 12,634

Very refreshing and smoother beer for a higher ABV. Pliny is a very well balanced beer, hops, notes of fruit and alcohol all mess perfectly for this Double IPA. Too good to only have one! (187 characters)

The first time I had this beer, I almost couldn't believe what I was smelling and tasting. I'm not sure you can really compare it to Heady, because they are entirely different beers. While Heady may be more easily drinkable, Pliny has more of a WOW! factor. I've had this on draft, and in a fresh bottle. Both were similar experiences. (335 characters)

I had this beer on draft for the first time at a bar on 30th street in San Diego. It might be the best beer I have ever had. It definitely lives up to the hype. Awesome double IPA. I wish I could get it where I live. (216 characters)

Probably the best IPA I've had the pleasure of drinking.
Nothing can be said about this beer that haven't been said already. My buddy and I got heavily buzzed off a growler in one sitting and regretted we didn't pick up a case. (227 characters)

The best IPA I have ever had. (That being said I have not had the pleasure of meeting "the younger"). True definition of a beautiful double IPA. Perfect in look, smell, taste and feel. Every palate is different, and the introduction of each aroma and taste will be yours to discover when you have the opportunity to become acquainted with Pliny the Elder. (355 characters)

So clear and clean with a beautiful hoppy scent. The taste is west coast dankiness but not overpowering, and some citrus fruits such as grapefruit and orange are there. Ever so tasty, and refreshing! One of my favorite beers of all time. (237 characters)

I hate to be all about the hype, but I live in Northern California and find myself making that hour and a half long trip to Santa Rosa at least twice a month to fill up my growlers and get a case or two, it is THE textbook double IPA. Citrus, and pine are present from the first smell to the last the sip, thank you Russian River (329 characters)

Had it on bottle once had it on tap yesterday with my youngers it was all awsome.the fact i. An get this in town 8 or nine times a year makes it my fav. Even more then yonger. (175 characters)

I went to a local restaurant looking for a good IPA and I winded up getting the most delicious beer I have ever tasted. They offered me a tasting of it (they had just gotten it on tap that day) and I fell in love. I got a full pint and I was in beer heaven. Everything about this beer is delicious and it has a great finish. If you like IPA's then this beer is perfect for you. (377 characters)

Great fucken beer,I get this regular at Ramirez liquor east LA...
only one per customer(but I get two cuz I got it like that lol)will trade for some heady topper (162 characters)

Perfect IPA. From start to finish its a hoppy citrus followed by pine w the perfect amount of limited malt. 100/100 After I drank this beer I hack loogies and swallow them just to get more of the tastes and flavores this beer possess. (235 characters)

There are some really, really good double IPAs on the market.

This one is still the best.

Crisp, clear, wonderful aroma, excellent taste.

It is the standard by which I judge all others. (192 characters)

This beer is perfect from start to finish. Yes it does in fact live up to the Hype. Only problem I have with this beer is I am out of it. But I look forward to getting some in the future, hopefully sooner rather than later. My only advice is Get Some!!!!
5/5
O.B.D91 (268 characters)

My all time favorite brew! I don't live in an area that sells Pliny so during a recent trip to San Diego I hunted down a bar that had it on tap. Because of all the Hype I was prepared to be disappointed but to my surprise it was amazing. Now I've just got to convince my wife that we need to retire in San Diego! (315 characters)

What could I possibly add to the Elder that hasn't been said before....nothing. However I will say that I really enjoy when out of state friends come to Cali to try the Napa area wines and I tell them to find the Elder. They end up talking more about that beer t hen any of the wines lol! (288 characters)

These too like Blind Pig is tough to get a hold of. Wholefoods gets a case once a week (sometimes) Here's a tip....you gotta call and ask for the "specialty department" on Wednesdays or Thursdays and see if they got it in stock. Best $5 you'll spend! (250 characters)

I do not know how else to say this without sounding grandiose, but I feel like I have truly found the holy grail of all IPAs. Being in NY I am unable to get this one and have thus wanted to get my hands on it for a while to see what all the hype was about. Luckily, my father went on a trip to the Bay Area recently with a request to find Pliny. He brought back three bottles, which did nothing to disappoint. Holy mother of all beers! I never curse in reviews, but,.... here goes...this is the greatest fucking shit I've ever tasted in my life!!!
Straight from that lovely golden pour, the most delicious aromas emanated from the glass. Tropical fruits, malty sweetness, citric, resiny and piney hops, floral esters...it had it all! I was inhaling with gusto! What a delicious taste! A hop bomb with perhaps the greatest hops to malt balance ever. So complex; fruity, bready, piny, hoppy. A strong grapefruit and resiny hops finish. What a mouthfeel! I could swirl it in my mouth all day long.
I'm so sad to have finished my 3 bottles. I am still dreaming of the taste and hope to feel it again soon. I did not have to think twice about giving this one a straight 5. It's perfect and pretty damned special. (1,208 characters)

I was prepared to be let down, but I was not. As good an IPA as you will find. Lighter and more balanced than most DIPAs. Crisp and piney, with enough citrus to keep it bright. It won't change your life, but it deserves the hype. (233 characters)

As big as the anticipation was to try this, it exceeded all expectations. Fresh, there is no other IPA that is as balanced and flavorful as Pliny is. Perfect. (159 characters)

Pour from tap at Stone Liberty Station (I mean, if they have it, it isn't a faux pas to order, right?). Sunny day in the bocce court revealed a gorgeous orangey-gold. Exactly the citrus, floral hop notes one hopes for in a DIPA. Pretty much the ideal hop character up front, immediate and sustained. A little alcohol on the finish with an appropriate stickiness to hold the hops until the next sip. Other reviewers with more refined palates can provide the specific hop profiles. Just get some if you can. (505 characters)

Bottled on 10/10/14. Poured from the bottle in to a snifter on 10/26/14. I went in to it hoping for the best, but fearing disappointment due to the hype. Hype can really kill things for me. As it poured I was struck by the honey color. Beautiful. 1.5 finger white head. The aroma was very pineapple-y. I took my first sip, and was completely blown away. Each drink afterwards somehow got better and better. The taste was a balance between pineapple-y citrus and pine hops. The finish was exquisite. Pliny is perfectly balanced in every way. This was the best beer I have ever had and is likely to remain the best. (614 characters)

One of the best ipa's around piney with hints of grapefruit great mouthfeel, full flavor not too high of an abv nice color the only beer that I have given a 5 to (162 characters)

Its become trendy now to start hating on Pliny (well, not hating perhaps, but talking about how its so overrated).

This has been one of my favorite beers for years, never got around to giving it a real rating, before, but I absolutely love this beer. It is the perfect double IPA. Very strong hops, explosion of crisp flavor in the mouth, yet it never gets too heavy by the end of the glass. Truly fantastic beer and the epitome of the style in my mind. The look, smell, taste, crisp feel; Its all fantastic. (514 characters)

Friend brought me back two from a west coast trip. Pleasure to finally have this one. Another friend mentioned that it was like an IPA marshmallow that melts in your mouth. It was an incredible beer. Super thankful to try it. Damn good. One of the best I have ever had for sure. (278 characters)

Pours a clear golden apricot. Two fingers white head that reduces to foam leaving awesome lacing. Medium mouthfeel with aromas of tropical fruits and pine. There is a reason this is a top 10 beer. (196 characters)

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company