Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 6,662
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,473 | Hads: 13,119
4.14/5  rDev -10%

Bottled 111015 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma of citrus fruit, generic and strong, lasts entire beer but weakens
Head average (Four cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, diminishing to irregular two to ten mm creamy ring and partial frothy layer
Lacing excellent – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor begins with some citrus acidity and rind bitterness as well as some generic citrus flavor, ends with a light bitter chalkiness
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4, Palate 4, Overall 4. IMHO, this DIPA is generally over rated; it is good, but is not something I will seek out again, unless I happen to be in Santa Rosa, CA.

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - hazy straw color, clingy white head

S - citrus, diacetyls, grapefruit

T - follows the nose, sweetish hop flavor. There is a little bit of bitterness/tartness, after-taste is lemon iced tea.

F - effervescent, medium body, lighter than expected

O - hop party on the palate, delicious, very forward brew which lives up to its legacy as one of the ultimate representatives of the style.

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Be aware my rating comes as someone who hates IPAs.

I always heard of this as being the best IPA and got my hands on a 17.25 oz bottle. It lives up to the hype.

While the bitterness and dryness of it being an IPA makes the taste less appealing to me, the carbonation is perfect, the smell is pleasant and the beer looks beautiful. Won't make me an IPA drinking, but its an impressive brew.

Worth a try even if you aren't into IPAs, I can believe it being a must have if you are a fan of the style.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had many times...in bottle and on tap. Lots of great memories with this beer....in bottles with brother at GGF in Berkeley ...3000 miles removed with brother on-tap in Philly....RR in Santa Rosa...bottled 2 days old before buying on my B-Day.

I dunno...this beer has a lot of hype around it. Its really good (don't get me wrong) but not something I would try too hard to get. If you can taste it...great! If you can trade for it...nice! It is really good....but it isn't my end-all-be-all IPA.

Fresh is best!

I chose 2 pints of Row 2 Hill 56 Pale over this at RR on my B-day....

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to @PatrickCT for this one. It's been a minute since I've danced with PtE; quite frankly, I missed her. Intense aroma in the nose. Honey layered malt bill is prominent. Grapefruit rind, and a bit of citrus, too. New car scent pine aroma lingers. Smoked barley on the tongue, amazingly. Ripe tobacco leaf, a tinge of spearmint and over ripened grapefruit. Creamy on the front end, semi-dry on the finish. Perfectly balanced. Pronounced head that lingers like the ex-girlfriend who won't move on. Beautiful. This is a master class in brewing. Cheers, Vinnie.

4.31/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There are better reviews, so I'll keep it short. Had this out of a fresh bottle, alongside about 6 other 97+ rated ipas and dipas. This was not my favorite. I would have liked to have seen more cloudiness in the appearance, but the head was nice and lingered. Smell fresh hops with some pine tint to it. Honestly, less of a bomb than some of the competition. It'd be a treat to drink this regularly, but on this occasion I preferred green street, all green everything, and mosaic (ya I know, different styles).

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this from a friend who went to the brewery while on vacation. Wow, so, so smooth. 8% but barely a trace of alcohol on the nose or palate. hoppy but doesn’t carry the overwhelming bitterness that is expected with a 100 IBU beer. balanced and smooth. Worth the hype & wait. Cheers

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this thanks to a friend who brought it back from San Diego. Bottled on 9/30. Good looking beer with nice somewhat subtle aroma. Great balance of bitter and sweet taste that lingers. Medium very enjoyable mouth feel. Probably impossible to live up to the hype, but this is obviously a fantastic beer.

I thought about this all night. I know I'm crazy. This beer reminds me so much of a higher quality Lagunitas Sucks. Anyone else get this? It's better but all I could think was Sucks

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle sent. Thanks Kate.
This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a hazy bronzed golden orange to amber color with a beautiful one finger white foamy lacing running around the glass.
The smell started off with a sly bittersweet luscious pine rolling into a citrus rind-like and pulp-like hoppiness. An ever so slight grassiness wants to balance.
The taste was moderately bittersweet take the citrus and the pine to hit each other like two freight trains colliding. I'm getting it all at once. There's the burst of the sweet and the burst of the bitter. Its all there.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a sly sessionability about it. Carbonation seemed to feel exactly right for a DIPA. There's enough bitterness as a DIPA and enough sweetness to cling to my tongue extremely nicely.
Overall, wow, just wow, just what an absolutely awesome DIPA coming in from California for an exceptionally nice trade. I know I would definitely have again.

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Maybe if I had this a few years ago it would have left more of an impression. There are just so many amazing IPAs out there now it's hard to say this was the best I've had. Definitely delicious and at the top of its game, wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

4.84/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic! Had it on tap at the best beer joint in Philly, Monks! The flavor was as expected, fresh, clean, with a ton of hop. Cant wait for my next!

3.85/5  rDev -16.3%

Unfortunately I was very disappointed in this beer. I don't know if it's overhyped or if my pallet judges it unfairly because I have regular access to lawsons, and have had other top east coast I.p.a.'s. I found the flavor to lack depth and I struggled to find any juicy hop flavors

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Have had both in bottle and at RRBC on tap. Pours a golden color with a thin white head. Smell is just amazing every time. Awesome citrus and pine hop aroma. Taste is very smooth and balanced. Medium mouthfeel with medium bitterness. Lingering hop flavor. Low/medium carbonation. One of my favorite beers of all time and the ultimate West Coast DIPA.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

Another great IPA out of Russian River. Hops lean to citrus instead of pine. The draught lace does not stand up , but this an appealing beer. This is why to seek out Falling Rock Tap house in Denver, because they always have it.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fellow BA member sent to me in the mail from NoCA to IL - 510ml bottle

Has the unique combination of being refreshing, satisfying, nonabrasive, and just about perfectly-balanced with malt/hop/alcohol flavors. I enjoyed the hint of baking bread on the nose, and the nice symmetry of sweetness on the front of my tongue and bitterness on the back of my tongue and roof of my mouth. Properly carbonated with medium/medium-heavy mouthfeel and no unpleasant aftertaste. Clear orangey-amber with dissipating white head that laced nicely on glass and lingered there. Lovely beer to drink and ponder while I caught up on work today.

From Florida and reviewing post-drink. I have a brother who lives in Northern California and whenever he visits, he brings The Elder. I trade him some Cigar City Jai Lai and call it good.
Love this beer.! Best IPA out there. Bold in hopiness, but not overly pretentious and very smooth. Starts with some sour citrus notes and moves into a pine flavor. I love it so much, I've got the t-shirt.

4.52/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a very clear golden color with long lasting white head. Aroma of pine, grapefruit, pineapple, floral, orange, resin, and malt. Flavors are all of the above with a bready/crackerlike note with a nice balancing malt character that balances the bitterness all the way through. Mouthfeel is med-med/low carbonation with a slick hop oil on the tongue. Overall I cant find much wrong with this beer other than maybe a little more aroma.

4.56/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright golden orange color. Large off-white head dissipates slowly. Excellent clarity. Masses of sticky lacing left behind.

Bright, tropical aroma. Pineapple and grapefruit. Floral and piney hops notes prominent as well. Just hints of cracker like malt.

Hop flavors are very smooth and balanced. Grapefruit, pine, something floral. Pineapple and orange. Light malt, cracker-y. Some mild caramel as well. Provides good balance. Pine really comes through at the end.

Medium body with a very smooth mouth feel. Medium carbonation. Very well balanced. Mild bitterness. Hops linger, tropical and piney.

A truly excellent IPA with amazing hop flavors that dance on the tongue. Bold but balanced. Drinks almost like a session IPA.

4.09/5  rDev -11.1%

Being on the East coast,I've yearned for this for awhile.I had two on tap at Monks' in Philly yesterday and it was tasty.Give me Heady or even 3Lb ipa from St.Boniface anytime.Very tasty brew but didn't live up to my taste.Maybe my palate was having a bad day.

4.4/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to a tip from another BA on the forums I checked Total Wine and they had Pliny the Elder. One per customer, behind the counter, $4.99 a bottle. I didn't even have to know a code word. This is just seriously a great IPA. Born on September 30, 2015. A subtle understated nose, and the first sip is like a west coast sunset. Pours a golden orange with a medium head that dissipates quickly and leaves behind a good amount of lacing. Taste is bitter pine all the way with a hint of fruit on the back end. Not too sweet and with a nice full mouthfeel. If I could get this fine beer all the time and price was no object I would drink it every week. Luckily I have to hunt for it, which makes the finding and tasting that much better.

4.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is a great beer---it blew me away the first time I had it, and several times after that---all in bottles. Since then I had it on tap at the original pizzaport, and it was even better... However, I am now a veteran of hill farmstead, Treehouse, Trillium, and MBC (Dinner)... and it has lost its shine! Sorry PtE

4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is golden with light head. Nice lacing.

Nose has a lot of fresh lemon. Orange zest, clove, biscuit. Fresh pine.

Taste is butter pecan, with lots of grapefruit. Very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is smooth, with pleasant oil slickness. Steady carbonation. Ideal.

Overall, this is fun to drink. Delicious. Acclaimed for good reason.

4.27/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Description: Bright, clear, golden look that kind of reminded me of apple juice. The white head wasn't very thick but it did leave quite a bit of lacing on the glass. None of the aromas were overwhelming, but pine, citrus and floral were noticeable. The taste carried many more pine and bitter notes than the smell would have suggested and the aftertaste was very clean and dry. More hop forward than some the elite East Coast IPAs. Alcohol wasn't apparent and the feel was a little fuller-bodied than a normal IPA.

Suggested food pairing: A grilled white fish, maybe halibut

If you like this beer then you should also try: Head Hunter

Ideal time to drink this beer: This beer is so quintessentially West Coast, Central/Northern California that I can't imagine it being better anywhere else. Since that region is more commonly known for its wine production, maybe you could have a Pliny after attending some wine-centered event. It could wash the taste of condescending stuffiness from your mouth.

Overall: 4.25 (This beer is good and I would likely drink it again) This is a good, solid IPA but didn't really have anything that put it over the top for me. I thought it was better than Heady Topper, but not as good as Abner or Sip of Sunshine. As I drank the beer and it warmed a bit, I think the flavor and aroma released a little more, so if I had it to do over I may let it warm some more. It's a great example of a West Coast IPA, but I wouldn't go out of my way to find or try this. But if you have the chance it's not bad; check it off your list and move on to bigger and better beers.

4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

There's not much one can say when reviewing a beer of this caliber - it'd be like a finger painting 3 year old trying to critique the Mona Lisa. Believe the hype. There's absolutely nothing bad to be said about this beer - it is the gold standard West Coast IPA. I poured it into the glass and it was like the first time I heard the Beatles. I took a sip and may or may not have Jim Levenstein'd in my pants a little. It's simply amazing. Only drawback is it's easier to get a handy from a nun than it is to score Pliny in Chicago.

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

What can be said about this brew that hasn't already been said. I had opportunity to drink it head to head with a Heady Topper one evening here, and I must say that was a battle for the ages... Heady barely eeked out the victory in my opinion, but why listen to me, go get your own and do it yourself.

Great hoppy bouquet, my nose was in heaven... I don't get all "piny, citrusy, grapefruity, etc..." about the hop combinations in my reviews but damn, this seemed to have it all.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company