Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 6,336
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,511 | Reviews: 3,519
4.46/5  rDev -4.3%

Incredibly, deceptively smooth. The mouthfeel is amazing! Glides down like a river of sweet hoppy deliciousness. The nose is sweet floral with a hint of dandelion and/or lavender. Alcohol is hardly perceptible, but makes itself known. This beer is truly worthy of it's fame!

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I've had this several times. The best experience was on draft. In the bottle not so much.

Aromatic, smooth which is rare for an ipa. Most of my friends hate iPa's but they will drink this over and over again. This is the best beer in the world

4.99/5  rDev +7.1%

Beer is an attractive amber/copper with a thick white head. Very nice lacing. Aroma is dank and bready, with notes of orange rind, pineapple, and fir. Taste is fantastic and follows the nose. Some bready malt in the background and a huge, complex, balanced dose of hops: a dry, bitter finish with notes of orange, fir, and tropical fruits. Mouthfeel is great. Nicely carbonated, a bit of warming from the 8% alcohol. Overall, a fantastic double IPA. Smooth, balanced, and drinkable, but incredibly complex and subtle.

4.93/5  rDev +5.8%

Friend shared a bottle. Truly fantastic. Tried along several other highly respected DIPA - Pliny is noticeably better, more balanced.

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

A gift from a friend. What I heard about this beer is true - it is sneaky!! It goes down so smooth for a DIPA. A tasty beer

I liked pliney. I had some at the bar in santa rosa when i was in cali visiting. I bought a case to bring back to the house we were staying at. Blind pig was also very good. And they had another beer called Aud Blonde Ale that was really great. I will say though, i docked a couple points for two reasons. I dont think pliny is by far and away better than heady, larsons sip, or even sixpoint resin. Possibly my east coast taste buds prefer those brews. Also, there was a complete shitbag of a bartender working at the bar at RR. The other 3 or so bartenders were really cool and didnt have an ego stick shoved up their ass. This guy put a bit of a damper on my experience. He had an issue with me because i was a tourist, but he shut up after we engaged in great conversations with other attendees at the bar. Anyway, pliny is fucking good and they make some really good beers at RR. The food is excellent too.
Sorry for the rant

4.55/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

really enjoyed the awesome balance...more than anything

the taste didn't smack me as anything awe-inspiring/off the charts (what beer ever lives the hype)----but beautifully balanced and very tasty

creamy feature was unexpected, but most enjoyable

overall...a extremely well done brew

4.76/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very floral smell and taste notes that round out a very hop forward beer. The taste and feel in your mouth is so well balanced that the heavy ABV is barely noticeable.

3.61/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Don't really know what the hype is about. Warmed up to it after some air got to it. Very malty and piney.

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The perfectly balanced IPA. No bitterness at all. But also not that interesting to me.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

All hail the Pliny! Spoiled that I have easy access to this beer. It's a great one. I always pick it up when available. Russian River is special because you can tell that they really try their hardest to focus on perfecting their product. Creamy mouthfeel, sharp and intricate hop flavor, great body, and delicious all around finish. Pretty hard to beat!

4.31/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to aViewFromTheHOP for this one! 500ml bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous golden color. The head is three fingers high, and vaguely off-white in shade. Retention is fantastic, while the rocky head leaves behind thick webs of lacing on the glass. This one looks absolutely killer. (4.5)

Smell: This is a fairly typical DIPA aroma, all told. I can see where so many beers in the style got their influence from. Piny, grassy notes seem to dominate, though I do pick up hints of grapefruit. The malt backbone is wonderfully neutral - it brings touches of cracker and white bread, and that's about it. I admit gravitating more to the new school of DIPAs. But still, I'm not exactly disappointed by the nose by any stretch. (4)

Taste: At first, I get gentle hints of spruce, grass, and flowers. The more I drink, the more floral the flavor becomes. Malt appears past the midtaste (a bit more than the nose suggested), with some caramel, white bread, and sugar cookie flavors. Maybe even touches of earth, wood, and toffee. I could say that nothing about this brew really stands out...but I won't. No, every flavor here seems to pop with a bit more definition than MANY other DIPAs out there - and that's saying something considering how this is far more complex than the typical DIPA. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: This is amazingly crisp, and DRY (when I say dry, I mean frickin' dry). Some malt sweetness and heft does appear, but it's a feature that is less annoying than many others in the style. I could drink this one all day, that's for sure. I don't really notice the carbonation one way or the other - translation, it's doing its job perfectly. (4.75)

Overall: I knew this wouldn't be some super innovative, new school DIPA loaded with Galaxy hops. Nope, this is to DIPAs what Black Sabbath's self-titled album was to heavy metal. Even now, this has the finesse and sophistication that many in the style wished they had a tenth of. The first sip didn't bowl me over, and then I kept drinking it...and drinking it...and drinking it. Around the halfway mark, it dawned on me: "this is a fantastic DIPA". This isn't something you sample 3-4 oz of, this is something you down pint after pint of at the Toronado in SF, all while Dark Angel is blaring in the background (screaming match with surly bartender optional). (4.5)

4.31/5: Should be considered the quintessential west coast DIPA, even with all the pretenders flooding the market

4.46/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hum, I may have missed something here. Bottled 6/10, ok 2 1/2 weeks old... good, but not great. Got a smokiness from it. Do they smoke any of the malts on the grain bill?

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My bottle was poured 6/11/15 so really fresh Its good but def a hype thing going on ...Maharaja is way smoother and i perfer it over this anyday!!

4.43/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From bottle poured into Stella Artois chalice. Strong floral and hops smell, smooth yet bitter mouth feel. Taste of bitter hops, but not too bitter. This is an excellent IPA, it's exactly what an IPA should look, smell, and taste like. One of the best.

4.22/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was a very good Imperial IPA overall. I think there are better ones out there for sure, but it was still a delicious beer. A bit more malty than expected, but had a nice pine flavor profile from the hops that worked nicely. The bottle I had was 2.5 weeks old, so I don't think I will get much fresher in Ohio!

4.58/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 5/15 so a tad over a month old. I've been waiting for this.

A- Creamy white head disappeared into a thin whisky head with nice lacing. Pours a hazy yellow.

S- Grass, pine, orange peel, nice floral notes

T- really delicious. A lot of grass and pine with some citrus notes as well. Much more balanced than I expected. Really pleasant hop flavors without a big punch to the mouth. The finish is fairly clean, some hop character lingers.

M- medium body, creamy, perfect carbonation.

O- worth its reputation. Not a super hop bomb, but a more balanced DIPA. Really nice fresh floral grass and Pune notes and a perfect mouthfeel. Very happy I was able to try this.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours very orange with a long lasting thick head. It has tons of citrus to the nose. Finishes With Great Grapefruit taste. Top 5 IPAs in my book.

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%

An amazing IPA. Lucky enough to have had this at least once. Is it better than Sculpin though?

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Great beer. I'm not huge into IPAs but this was truly a pleasure. wish I had more.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

I have three IPAs in my best ever, buy it and drink immediately category: Pliny, Enjoy By, and Yellow Rose.

The Pliny pours golden yellow. The smell is light citrus and hop, the taste as it smells. It is hard to have an idea of how good this beer is with such a simple description other than it is just the right bit of everything.

4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! I never realized what I was missing

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Simply one of the best IPAs and beers in the world. Truly embodies what an IPA should be. To maximize its full potential, you simply have to taste it fresh and don't sit on it.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.7 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 19/20
mike67 (900) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 16, 2015
500 ml bottle. Pours orange with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy, herbal hops dominate the flavor while bready and caramel malt and tropical fruit provide some balance. Finish is long, massive, very bitter, grapefruity. Amazing brew.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company