Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,493
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
trxxpaxxs

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this too many times to count, but I'm finally getting around to reviewing this beer... Thanks, Mike.

Bottled: 12/20/12

A: Pours a perfect translucent light amber with only a small layer of pure white foam that lines the top of the beer. The head settles quickly into a thin bubbly layer along the edges of the glass. There is a good amount of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is big pine, and juicy orange citrus. It's not over the top pungent. It's just right. This beer smells great (ever after a month).

T: I am met straight away with a light malty sweetness, which transitions into huge juicy orange citrus, followed by some floral qualities. As it moves to the middle, I get a ton of spicy pine notes, but it's balanced well by the hops. The pine notes linger as the sweet malt moves off.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's sweet right away, gets big and hoppy in the middle, turns spicy and stinging towards the end, and finishes smooth. This is an easy drinking DIPA that coats the palate, but slides off beautifully as it progresses along the palate.

O: Love this beer. One of, if not "the", best DIPA I've ever had. It's almost flawless. Wish I could drink this everyday.

01-28-2013 22:32:30 | More by trxxpaxxs
drpdaddy

Wisconsin

Piraat Tulip

Apperance : Light Copper slightly cloudy with some sediment, nice voluminous shead with lacing.

Smell: Very present but at the same time light floral/citrus/piney hop aroma with some malt present.

Taste: Superb, much like the smell the hops and the malt are expertly balanced. The hops take center stage but there not overpowering. Great Balance. This beer lives up to the hype.

Mouthfeel: Although medium bodied, it had an almost creamy mouthfeel with carbonation kept in check.

Drinkability: I could drink this all the time if it was readily available, definitely one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've had. Although its was not quite as hoppy as I originally hoped, I understand the hype. Expertly crafted, can't wait to get my hands on some more.

05-03-2010 01:45:20 | More by drpdaddy
gibby

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at Teresas next door in wayne, $6.50 for a 10oz pour.

I have had this beer many times in bottles and on draft but never reviewed. Appearance is great, golden yellow with a chunky 1 finger head. Massive lacing on the glass as it empties. Smell is exceptonal, the hop aroma punches you right in the face. I could smell the glass all day long. Taste is the same, huge hop burst followed by the ever so slight malt presence. This beer goes down like water, mouthfeel is excellent. Drinkability is very high. I had 2 10oz pours and I was itching for more. Too bad I had to drive myself home, they can kick you in the ass at 8% abv.

Overall this is one of my favorite beers. Its one of, if not the BEST DIPA on the market. Only other honoarable mentions would be PTY, sculpin and hopslam. I enjoy this brew every time I trade for it with goodspeed94, he hooks me up. Hope its bottled and sold in pa soon. Highly recommended.

09-19-2009 14:33:16 | More by gibby
GatorBeerNerd

Georgia

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

500ml bottle purchased for me by my friend when he was on a trip to San Francisco. According to the label it was bottled on 6/10/09. Hard to expect it any fresher than that in GA. Poured it into a Sierra Nevada Hop Tulip glass.

A: Pours a hazy orangish yellow color with a finger thick white head that consists of very tiny bubbles. There is a decent amount of lacing that is left behind as the beer is consumed.

S: Beautiful aroma of citrus hops. Tangerines, grapefruit, and lemon aromas mix with just a hint of malt to remind you that it is a beer instead of a bowl of fruit that you are smelling.

T: A nice initial maltiness comes through on the first sip for about a millisecond. It is washed away with loads of citrus hop flavors that are not overly bitter like so many in the style. Grapefruit, pineapple, and oranges make this one taste a lot like fruit juice that happens to be bitter. The finish is nice and dry.

M: Excellent in mouth carbonation makes the beer creamy and smooth. It has a medium body for the style. I love the slick feel that it leaves in the mouth.

D: This beer is a bit of a slow go for me. However, I think it is because it is so amazing that I want to savor every drop.

07-16-2009 02:07:51 | More by GatorBeerNerd
Bookseeb

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Just happen to find this at Collins Pub in Seattle and finally get taste what the rave is all about. Appearance has a light yellow amber with a nicley held head leaving nice lace. Smell of big malt, piney, citrus grapefruit with a big hop aroma. Taste was more mild in the hops than what came out in the aroma, but still foral and complex. A very clean honey malt sweetness that balance very well with the hops with no interference of alchohol. Mouthfeel is a nice medium with good carbonation. I was not to be dissapointed with this one, this is a very clean easy drinking ale that has to be one of the best I've tried.

12-30-2010 03:41:31 | More by Bookseeb
bassmantin

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to iconoklaztor for giving us this one at DLD. Been waiting for this one, probably shouldn't have waited so long.

Pours a glowing orange with a nice white head. The smell and taste have a perfect balance. The malts are delicious, with tastes of grapefruit and other citrus flavors. At the same time, the hops are strong with a great presence in the aftertaste.

What a great beer! Although after reading the label, I think it might be somewhat preferable to drink this one as fresh as possible. So glad I finally got to try it.

08-06-2009 02:30:42 | More by bassmantin
WheelsPSU

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

The Mrs. and I were in Napa last weekend for a wedding and some wine tasting. But after all of the hype surrounding Russian River Brewing, we had to make a pit stop. We walked in on a Sunday night and while was there a 45 minute wait for a table, it was happy hour all day. That means $3.50 for 16oz of Pliny. Yes and please.

I immediately ordered a Pliny. And boy did it live up to the hype and then some. Having it fresh apparently is the key to this beer.

It poured a translucent copper color with a sheets upon sheets of lacing and a bit of carbonation. Very inviting.

This is a perfectly executed double IPA. It's not a harsh bitter double but rather it strikes a perfect balance between ultra fresh hops and the classic west coast style while allowing your palate to taste all of the complexities. And it was not too overboard on the grapefruit. I understand why this is so highly thought of. The hops worked so well as they were all in unison. I could have drank a few of these. So crisp, clean with great hop and a malt backbone. I want another!

05-10-2014 14:54:10 | More by WheelsPSU
billab914

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

This is the second time I've gotten to enjoy Pliny now, but the first time I have the opportunity to review it. I got this bottle in a shipment from South Bay Drugs, bottle date is 10/21.

Poured from a bottle into my Harpoon IPA shaped glass. Pours with a nice white head and had very nice lacing down the glass.

Aroma is exceptional, the floral and citrusness of the hops is wonderful.

Taste is also exceptional. The citrusness and the grapefruit flavors are nicely balanced with the bitterness.

Very good drinkability, I could have a few of these if I had more.

Overall, after having this the first time this became the beer I measure all other IPA's to. A few come close but Pliny remains a world class beer in my opinion. I will buy this whenever I have the opportunity.

11-21-2009 23:31:19 | More by billab914
edhizdeid

look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I had the privilege to finally try Pliny the Elder thanks to a trade and what a treat it was!

A - Pours a bright gold with little head. Beautiful lacing.

S - A very pleasant piney taste, some flowers.

T - Citrus hops, piney taste, impressions of honey

M - Great! Carbonation worked perfectly.

O - One of the best beer I ever had. Somehow, I kept thinking about Zombie Dust as I was enjoying this one making myself hesitating as to which one was the best. For now, I will go with ZD but with the opportunity to try Pliny more in the future my mind could change.

11-07-2013 21:16:44 | More by edhizdeid
WankelEngine

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a pint glass
Bottled on date: 02/13/12

A: A fairly vigorous pour yields a 2-3 finger, just off-white head. It leaves beautiful curtains of lace. The beer itself is a light golden-amber color with a lot of visible carbonation.

S: Smells of pungent, resinous hops. This provides both bitter pine and grass as well as some citrus and grapefruit flavors. There are some light tropical scents behind this, creating a very full, hop-centered aroma.

T: Hop-forward and delectable. Similar resinous pine from the smell, but the fruit flavors open up. Tropical, citrus, grapefruit, pear and maybe apple. There is a hint of the alcohol content which increases as the beer warms, but only serves to complement the pine. There is a light malt backbone which provides good balance and some light toffee. The finish has some lingering bitterness.

M: Smooth and almost creamy. Medium bodied with just a hint of alcohol and light to moderate carbonation.

O: One of my new favorite IIPAs. I wish I had better access to this. Hard to see where this beer could be improved.

03-23-2012 01:15:58 | More by WankelEngine
cbak999

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

I was lucky enough to receive this bottle from a friend. I was super excited knowing the hype that surrounds this and many other Russian River beers. The bottle was dated 5/10/10. I poured the beer into a snifter.

A: A golden orange color with a 1/4" of head that laces the glass with each swallow. I could count the number of sips as I neared the end of this great sample.

S: All hops. Very earthy and piney with a hint of citrus.

T: Again...hops. But not overbearing. A super nice balance between the hops, alcohol, and malt. One of the best balanced IPAs out there.

D: As decribed by the taste, this is super good going down. Not knowing the ABV, you would think it's in the 6.5 range.

After drinking my half (I shared with a friend), I now can appreciate this beer as the 6th best in the world. It was amazing!!!

07-09-2010 14:07:23 | More by cbak999
bennetj17

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottled 5-26-09, thanks to FMetzger for bringing this one back from the brewery fresh. Hazy appearance, color is halfway between copper and gold. Half-inch, off-white foam holds steadily, leaving a sudsy lace. The hop dominant aroma leads with pine notes, as citrus fruit stays more in the background.

The taste begins with a wonderful orange/grapfruit tang, balanced decently by the toasty malt. Solid bitterness, but less than I expected. The finish is excellent as the dry pine notes leave you wanting more. All aspects of the flavor agree nicely, and nothing gets too intense/harsh. The overall taste is nearly perfect, it seems effortless. Medium body, moderate carbonation, very nice mouthfeel.

Overall a world class IPA. Always best fresh. Wish I could buy it in Arizona, maybe someday...

06-08-2009 00:00:57 | More by bennetj17
NYCWheatFanSC

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Bottle courtesy of 916tmcmanus916, a great trader! bottled two weeks ago on 11/30

A - a nice shimmering golden yellow with an orangeish light malty hue. Quickly receding white head.

S - really strong notes of citrus and pine, plenty of grapefruit in this one!

T - Pine and hops, hops hops! This blows many other DIPA's out of the water in terms of hoppiness, especially the east coasters I'm used to. Even taste some tart, not-yet-ripe pineapple in the back. Alcohol is seemingly non-existent despite the 8% ABV.

M - Very nicely carbonated, almost perfectly. The slightly lower than normal carbonation gives it a creamy goodness.

D - SEND MORE TYLER!

12-22-2009 04:17:47 | More by NYCWheatFanSC
hu5om

Wisconsin

thanks to enelson for this one! split with e11a627 and newk340
a-bronze/golden orange. light white foam, soapy, mostly clear, decent lacing
s-orangey citrus floral hops
t-orange citrus, nice little hop bite that just simmers on your palate. pineapple right before the swallow. not huge, but motzart at a moderate volume is still epic.
m-almost no harshness. amanzinglt delicate for an ipa that still packs some hops. how can it end so smooth?
d-epic. should i just move to california today or tell people i'm leaving first? delicious. ambrosia.

07-16-2010 21:27:35 | More by hu5om
timmay41

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

500ml bottle, 1/23/09 bottling date (just before my birthday, kind of cool).

A: Pours a hazy marigold with light yellow highlights. Offers a solid 1+ finger thick, fluffy eggshell white head with medium sized carbonation bubbles. Good lacing and retention.

S: Incredibly strong, flavorful, pungent bouquet. Pine, oak, and semi-sweet citrus scents that combine orange & grapefruit with thick malt character.

T & M: Really sharp hop bite and bitterness with the first few sips as well as lots of carbonation. I've had quite a few DIPAs lately in anticipation of this one and it still delivered the most aggressive and awesome initial hop bite. Incredible. Character grows more complex as the temperature warms--slightly sweet malt quality comes through, along with pine needles and a distinctly resin hop taste. Medium carbonation that contributes a crisp, lively quality to the mouthfeel and taste. Dry, aromatic hop finish and aftertaste.

D: I'd love to have a brewery fresh bottle, but it's tough being over 3,000 miles away. I'm honored just to have tried this one. I could put this down until my face turned into a hop plant. There's alcohol here? A world class offering that lives up to the hype for sure.

04-03-2009 05:00:29 | More by timmay41
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

"From Oakland to Sacktown
The Bay Area and back down
Cali is where they put they mack down"

-Tupac

Poured into a wide snifter from .5L bottle. 28 days old, from bottling to my glass. BIG thanks to augustgarage, who hooked a Rhode Islander with this fabled beer.

A- Full-bottle pour into my snifter leaves a shimmering golden beer with hints of orange and copper colors. An aggressive pour leaves a frothy, delightful head on the beer which laces immediately.

S- Hops... sweet hops. As far as other IPA/DIPAs go, this has the hop sweetness similar to the 90 min. DFH, but lacks the malt sweetness of the 90. Grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops all blend together to create a fabulous bouquet. Possibly the best-smelling DIPA I've ever had... with exception of the DFH Squall IPA. I love this smell like a fat kid loves cake.

T- This is the real deal. I think this beer just blew my mind. Powerful hops here. Follows the nose, grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops. Incredible hop flavoring here, finding it hard to put into words. It's like someone created a blend of hops that eliminates everything an over-hopped beer does wrong. It's sweet but not too sweet, a bit tart, mildly bitter, but wonderfully concocted. A hop head's dream, I cannot imagine improving this flavor at all. Haven't tried PtY, but who cares? I sure don't. Gimme more Elder! Pale malt is there to provide a nice body, but do little to add to the flavor. Fine by me, this is expertly crafted.

M- Pretty decent body, almost like silk in your mouth after you sip. Good carbonation, too. Mouthfeel is hard to pin down, the flavor is all my head can wrap itself around right now.

D- Moderate to insanely high depending on your ease of procurement. If I could buy this at my local store, I'd buy this by the pallet and drink it morning, noon, and night. Since I have to trade for it, it's kind of a pain to get (although the trade was mind-boggilingly easy). I want to thank augustgarage for the chance to try this beer... Hope to have this on tap someday, and will look into procuring some more at some point.

My favorite DIPA is still the Squall... unfiltered and bottle conditioned = awesome, but I doubt I'll get another fresh bottle of that unless DFH brings it back. This beer handily beats out the standard 90 min in a bottle.. and I'm somewhat of a DFH groupie. RR ain't fucking around with this beer.

Long story short: Overhyped? Nope.

This beer is a bear, a burly beast, a hop conquistador here to take over your tongue. World-class. The 600-pound DIPA in the room.

09-01-2009 22:27:19 | More by ShogoKawada
bkeach

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

No review is really needed for this beer, but I wanted to have this listed under my review list. That said, the beer is a favorite for obvious reasons. Its balance and flavors are so good, and are still considerably unique among so many beers even after all these years. May be my favortite beer during the summer time. Such a fresh, clean flavor profile. Simcoe hops are balanced perfectly. The slight champagney mouthfeel gives you a deliciously refreshing beginning with a semi-dry finish that begs for another gulp. The smell is good, but does not represent the beers taste and overal experience. I did notice the hop smells came through more as it warmed up a bit, but this beer should be served colder them most IPA's. I recently had PTY and although it was a great beer, (basically a bigger version of elder), I think Elder is a better beer as for as craft goes.

04-19-2013 23:31:47 | More by bkeach
omnigrits

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Pored into a straight pint glass.

A. Golden amber with a good white head that lingers but eventually subsides to a thin layer of bubbles. Not much lace.

S. Piney, resiny, citrusy hops but the malt is in there too not going down without a fight. As the beer warms up the malt comes through more as well as a hint of bubble gum.

T. Dry, dry hops. Pine, grapefruit, grass. Very good malt balance. A superb finish with maybe a hint of peppery spice that reminds more than a little of Belgian yeast.

M. Medium bodied, perfect carbonation, crisp.

O. A fantastic beer without a shadow of a doubt. I doubt I could say anything about it that hasn't been said a hundred times already.

06-09-2011 01:27:51 | More by omnigrits
oglmcdgl

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap in the alley behind hawthorns. Crazy right.

A- small cap of off white foam. A beautiful light copper orange in color with a slight haze.

S- great googily moogily, this smells awesome. Tons of grapefruit and tangerine. Pine sap and herbal hoppy goodness. Sweet malts and a hint of honey.

T- well the nose really holds up its end of the bargain. Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit peel and a piece of pulp in the eye. Background layers of conifers of all sorts. A perfect semi sweet malt back bone that never over shadows the load of hops.

M- medium to full in body and the carb holds up and levels the playing field nicely. Dry but not to dry.

D- if its in front of you, you need to be drinking it. You can't ever have enough as is my plan today. A half of fresh elder yes please.

05-02-2010 21:01:26 | More by oglmcdgl
kaips1

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

my first pliny thanks to huskyinPDX, thanks man

500ml bottle into a brandy snifter

a-amazing, darker than hopslam yet not amber more bronzeish,
s-heaven
t- almost as good as the smell, the aftertaste is wonderful, citrus and grapefruit i think
m-nice tingle, a wetter finish than i expected but it doesnt take anything away
overall its pretty much what the hype is, it may never leave my want list even if i end up with a fridge full

03-19-2011 02:52:11 | More by kaips1
yesyouam

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Pliny The Elder is a cloudy golden ale with a thin, dense, white head that has excellent retention and lacing. It has a huge, fresh, floral, grassy aroma. It smells like... stepping outdoors. It's medium bodied, minerally and crisp. The finish is clean. It's nice and bitter with a full hop flavor. There are notes of flowers, grass, herbs and fresh ground black pepper. This is how a double IPA should taste. It was very much a pleasure to enjoy this at the Trappist in Oakland.

11-17-2009 13:23:26 | More by yesyouam
imagineiii

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to Gilgarp for the chance to try this BA legend. Bottled on 1-23-09. Poured into my trusty DFH snifter. I dont ever remember cracking a beer and it immediately filling the room with the aroma of hops before.

Slightly hazy amber hued beer. Appears to be rather viscous in the way it suspends the slight bit of sediment, rather suprising for such a new beer. Head retention is decent to above average. lace is a major plus.

my living room smells of pine sap, and tropical fruits like pineapple and mango. a little citrus is hidden. maybe a little bit of mint. nicely done so far, just slightly different than most.

And then it hits my tongue...its creamy, full bodied and smooth. texture reminds me of another DIPA ive had lately but cant wait to review: hopslam. flavors dance on the palate, leaving no undesired taste behind. Desite warming effect in the stomach, the minty and citrusy hops seem to cool the palate. The balance of this beer is unlike any other with 8% alc and this much of a hop character to it. Wheres the alcohol?

Carbonation is very subdued which i think might be the key to this beer. without overly assertive carbonation to upset the palate, the beers true colors can shine thru. alcohol and hops combine to only injure the palate a slight amount. this beer is a party in my mouth.

its amazingly addictive, you want to follow every sip with another sip just to see if its REALLY that good. well guess what, its pretty much THAT good, so stop sipping it so fast. does it leave me wanting a second one? not exactly. a second one just wouldnt taste as good... i mean it cant. right?

i refused to review this beer based solely on the hype. but then this beer got inside of me. it went straight from my stomach to my head and started running circles around my brain. black was day, white was night, and pliny was still f*ckin awesome.

03-04-2009 01:28:40 | More by imagineiii
ffejherb

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at Capone's on 3/29/09. Served in a shaker pint.

A - Clear golden/light orange body with minimal carbonation and one-finger foamy, bubbly head that receded to a thin layer of retention and produced sticky, decorative lacing.

S - Pretty muted nose (compared to the Younger, anyway), though more balanced with a sweet caramel malt presence. However, hops still dominate with a citrusy character and a hint of pine. The citrus notes really opened up as the liquid warmed.

T - Nicely balanced DIPA with plenty of citrus hops and piney accents. Malt is sweet and caramely with some light toasted grainy notes. Grapefruit really stood out as Elder warmed up a bit.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and moderate carbonation. Bitter on the palate, but doesn't linger for too long. Nice creaminess and smooth mouthfeel overall.

D - The Elder is certainly wiser and more accessible than its more head-strong counterpart, and boasts a fantastic drinkability that is perhaps unparalleled amongst the pantheon of DIPAs. While the aroma of the Younger was off the charts, I found Elder to be a bit more drinkable overall while still maintaining tons of hop flavor.

03-29-2009 22:01:03 | More by ffejherb
Wackyfoot

Oregon

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Pour is a shiny golden shade and the bouquet and mouthfeel are both heavily imbued with pine needles. This is about as good looking, smelling and tasting as a beer can get, and I'm happy we finally got distribution of this and Blind Pig up here, hopefully we'll get more of their brews soon!

12-28-2008 17:08:54 | More by Wackyfoot
beerman207

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

I've been waiting a while for this one. Special thanks to my wife who brought this home from her trip to Washington.

A - Reddish gold look - 2 fingers of head leaving behind some nice swirling and lace on the glass.

S - Pine, grapefruit very pronounced also some sweetness coming through.

T - Very crisp. Grapefruit and pine comes through in the taste. It has a bitterness and also a bit of sour to it which was an excellent balance. The beer is quite complex and the taste is what I was hoping for.

M - Almost perfect in terms of carbonation and the feeling I get in the finish - it has a nice sour/bitter finish with just a little warming from the ABV.

06-05-2009 01:44:22 | More by beerman207