Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,785
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a bottle into a Deschutes Teku. Bottled 5/13/13.

A - Poured a beautiful crystal clear golden liquid with 2 finger width white head. The head faded and left a solid crown of lacing. Light carbonation.

S - What a treat to the nose. Very floral and citrus up front with grapefruit, mango, pine and mild hops. I just want to keep smelling it.

T - Ahhh, fresh hops. Interestingly, for me, the hops come bursting through all that citrus/tropical fruit nose, although not overwhelmingly. While the citrus, pine malt come through after. Really quite nice. Slight bitter aftertaste, but pleasant.

M - Crisp is what come to mind immediately. Easy to drink with light carbonation. Resin aftertaste that is very nice.

O - Outstanding beer. I would like to contrast with some fresh HT and see how it comes out. Either way it is a well executed IIPA. I would love to drink this on a regular basis. It is a must try.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Was lucky enough to have a friend who traded for this and came over with a bottle. Right off the bat I was already seeing how it would compare to Heady so it was a little unfair. That being said it is still a fantastic beer. Strong hop notes, perfect color.

It was bottled in March and we drank it in April so the freshness wasn't a factor (thanks Jon) I feel with some of the beer trading things tend to get outdated and you need good people who understand that.

It is definitely in my top 10 for IPA. It was fantastic. It lived up to the hype it is a damn fine beer. Exceeds what an IPA should be. But I'm spoiled and drink Heady all the time so It's tough to beat. Hills Farmstead has a few that can rival.

This is a must for the beer connoisseur. Can't wait to get my hands on the younger!

4.84/5  rDev +3.9%

Fantastic IPA poured from the bottle into a tulip stem glass. I was fortunate enough to have this in the same night as the Heady Topper and Harpoon Leviathan IPA.

Smell: The nose has a great floral aroma with a citrus background

Apperance: remarkably clean with a golden amber tint. You can see straight through to the floor when drinking from a glass.

Taste: The first thing that hits you is the great hop taste with the citrus not to far behind as the smell had hinted at when you first open the bottle.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and crisp leaving the consumer wanting more long after the bottle has been drained.

Overal this is a fantastic IPA that anyone would be forunate enough to recieve and savor. However, i do believe i have to give Heady Topper the nod in my personal tasting.

I've had PtE from the bottle many times since it hit Seattle on a regular basis. I didn't get a chance to have it on tap until recently. Fresh PtE is definitely a step up from the bottle.

Let me begin by saying that this is my favorite beer, hands down. I would have a PtE anytime, anywhere. I will have some in my fridge at all times, as long as the beer stores are stocked.

It pours a beautiful golden amber with an excellent white head and lacing that holds true.

I remember the first time I cracked open a bottle, poured it in my glass and was confronted with a pine forest aroma and the backing of grapefruit. I was floored. I couldn't imagine that a bottled beer could smell so incredible. It was nothing compared to a fresh PtE from the tap. Freshness prevails.

The taste followed the smell. But what is starkly different in PtE from the tap is the true lack of balance. Bottled PtE, for me, is sweeter --- you can taste the caramel malt. I got none of that from the tap --- a true hop bomb. And I was better for it.

Once I built a tolerance for DIPAs, they've become my session beers. Sick.

4.22/5  rDev -9.4%

Bottle on June 5 2012 into Duvel tulip. Approx 12 days old from bottling.

Appearance - 4
Golden yellow with a half inch white head.

Aroma - 4.5
Initially it bursts with volumes of thick juicy citrus, grapefruit, mango, tangerine, & hops. Faint sweetness of malt in the nose. These flavors tend to subside a few minutes after opening the beer, but make a gradual return as the beer becomes warmer.

Taste - 4
Initially a sharp, piney bitterness with a touch of resin, lemon and faint subtle tropical flavors. Get a very mild contrasting sweetness of the malt with notes of biscuit and very faint notes of caramel; more on the centre of the palate. Midway through get intensification of sharp acidic dry bitterness. Finishes with a moderate lingering piney bitterness and the more tropical juicy flavors of the hops make a return on the palate, although muted in comparison to the aroma. As the beer warms, there is slightly more sweetness in the malt and fruitiness from the hops.

Mouthfeel - 4
Mild to moderate body with moderate carbonation. Overall finish is dry, although faint notes of sweetness from the malt. Hops does leave a sharp finish to the beer, which is quite refreshing.

Overall - 4.5
How can you truly evaluate a beer that has so much hype, as well as personal meaning, as pliny the elder. It is very difficult to be unbiased in evaluation. At minumum, it is an above average IPA, very typical, if not defining, of the west coast style. Is it the best beer out there, or best IPA? I'm not sure. I think I would have to re-evaluate some of the other IPA's I've had in the past. The nose of this beer is quite good, although I may have found other beers better in this category before. As for the taste, it is quite brash in its hops presesnce, yet still has some balance with the malt offering a refined feel.

Overall, very enjoyable and incredibly easy to drink. If I was in a location where this was a regular offering, I could see it being a regular pick regardless of its hype factor. But back to whether it's the best beer out there - I can't say at this time. Still, it is a beer any craft beer afficianado must try. Highly recommend.

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

I've had this beer for the first time on tap at the Tornado gastropub in North Park, San Diego.

It may be the perfect IPA. Citrus-fruity-sweetness helps balance Russian River's most popular hoppy IPA. I don't have it in front of me right now so I won't try to be too specific but I will say this beer lived up to the ridiculously high expectations created by hop-heads everywhere.

I do remember there was a poor head when the pretty young girl at the bar handed me my pint glass... so that is really the only flaw.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company