Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,928
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 12,028 | Reviews: 3,398

4.6/5  rDev -1.3%

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%

4.62/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 3/21/11, if I remember correctly. Anyways, it was super fresh.

A: Pours a beautiful golden yellow, with a nice white foam retention.

S: Smells very hoppy, almost like sniffing a bag of hops. Maybe a hint of a skunk to it, but it's very pleasant.

T: Hop bitterness right away, citrus notes with some lemon/lemon grass to it. Also, pine tree sap.

M/D: Perfect carbonation, not an absolute tongue bruiser, which is nice, very balanced as a dipa goes. I wish I lived on the west coast, I would buy one every time I saw it.

4.7/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I love this beer, it is just such a shame that it is hard to come by. It pours a great golden amber with some orange highlights and bright white head. The nose is complex showing great hops, citrus, grapefruit, sugar cane and sweet malts. The palate is well layered with sharp hops up front, sweet malts in the middle and finishes with fresh bitter hops. I love how there is a small amount of sweetness that balances perfectly

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 4/6/2011 - consumed 4/25/2011
Served in a duvel. My first Pliny.

A: Pours a light hazy gold with a two finger egg shell white head. Lacing and retention was very good. Very resinous.

S: Great aroma to PtE. I cracked the bottle and I could smell it across the kitchen. High in citrus, specifically, grapefruits and lemons and a nice floral note as well.

T: The flavor to PtE is exceptional but not the powerhouse the reviews led me to believe. Citrus and caramel with a light hop bitterness and some grass in there too.

M: An extremely balanced brew. Not too much carbonation and not too much hops. Maybe the balance of it is a bit misleading as to how hoppy this brew really is. If so, its still great.

O: I found Pliny to be an excellent brew but too overhyped. I find its excellence to be in the incredible balance of Pliny. I will say Pliny is the most balanced DIPA I've had to date and very drinkable. Overall, I would rather have Abrasive Ale.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

500ml bottle pour into a hour glass shaped glass.

Nice lightly hazy golden color thru the smaller diameter part of the glass going to a darker reddish amber in the thicker diameter of the glass. 2 finger head that bubbles down in a few minutes.

Smells of Pine, hops, citrusy grapefruit and a nice mild buried sweetness of apple to my mind! 8% alcohol is well hidden.

the Pliney (pine) hop tastes hit your tongue first along with a nice bubbly zing and hops on the tip of your tongue. Citrus then comes thru, but the fruit sweetness is pretty well buried. As it warmed the pine hops stood out more in smell and taste. Nothing overboard I preferred this.

Medium Light in the mouth. Good zip in the carbonation. Finished dry on the tongue with some bitter hop finish and alcohol warmth in the back of the throat...more alcohol warmth as it warms.

I love hops and this one was well worth trying. Great balance of pine, hops, citrus, touch of sweetness and malts to keep it all balanced nicely. I will treat myself again and again to this brew.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

Bottled on: 9/16/11

I must say that this is the freshest bottle I've had of Pliny, wish I was able to find it a day after it was bottled but this is still pretty damn fresh smelling. Pours a deep clean golden color with a nice finger and a half eggshell colored head - can see straight through this brew. Aroma is incredible - floral, citrusy, and piny - sweet and inviting, just as expected. The taste is right up there with the aroma, distinguished juicy citrus hoppiness with a subtle bitterness and malt character towards the finish - a simply delicious work of art. The mouthfeel is fairly light with a bit of moderate prickly carbonation - highly drinkable. Pliny is rated at an A+ for good reason, it is much deserved.

Enjoy!!

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company