Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,991
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Oh man, been waiting to get my hands on one of these. If this little hop monster is as good as everyone claims, than my night is going to get a lot better

A: mild to light gold with a few dabs of yellow and splashes of tangerine. It was topped off with a bleach white whipped head and administered quite a few nice chunky blobs of lace. All in all nothing out of the ordinary, but very nice nonetheless

S: this is where it gets great. A truckload of sweet and floral smells. Hops are bursting with smells of oranges, white grapefruit, pineapples, and fresh grasses. A boutique of greens! I think no further explanation is required

T: lets start by mentioning the soft biscuity malts and delicate yeast notes within, hidden in some regards, and yet play an integral part in balancing this hop driven brew. Otherwise, it is as close to hop heaven as you'll get. I find the hops flavors raw, spicy, and bitter all while being refined. What is really enjoyable is this delicate tropical fruit palate that I am conjuring up. Tastes are as smelled with a few additions: oranges, fresh pine, lemons, grapefruits, and a squeeze of passion fruits.
A major coating for the tongue of high alpha hops. Loaded with hops and balanced with accuracy

M: a solid medium standing and does a great job of holding a light sticky character and is not very syrupy as some intensely hopped brews can be. Borderline creamy at times with no alcohol notes what so ever

D: this will never get old, ever! The perfect balance of an impossible two: delicate and powerful

Magpie14, Feb 23, 2009
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

500 ml bottle purchased at Ledger's poured into a Guinness pint glass. Bottle is dated 1/5/09. Comes in at 8%.

A-One finger head. Pours a hazy amber. Nice cloud remains in the middle of the glass as the head dissipates. Lots of lace.

S-Just incredible. Pine, tropical citrus, lemon, and fresh bud come through.

T-Fresh pine and citrus. Some malt sweetness that is followed by more grapefruit bitterness.

M-Very dry. Medium bodied. Nice carbonation. Hop resin stays in the mouth.

D-So well blended. Alcohol is well hidden. Huge drinkability.

I have drinking this beer for years. Whether on tap, in a growler, or in the bottle, it is always enjoyable. I have introduced many friends to this beer and all have liked it. To me it is the epitome of a great "gateway beer". It is amazing that a high alcohol brew with a lot of IBUs can be blended in such an accessible way.

mjl21, Feb 23, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

500mL bottle poured into a stemless large red wine glass

A: Very hazy and thick dark orange and copper hues; white frothy head dissipates to a clustering of bubbles and a ring on the edges. Nice lacing on the glass.
S: Heavy citrus and floral hop esters with some alcohol pulling through as the beer warms slightly.
T: Exactly what the aroma promises. Citrus, floral flavors. My palate was attacked by a hoppy punch of dry herbs/flowery hops about 3 seconds after I swallowed. Some notes of sweet earthiness.
M: Medium bodied; mellow carbonation; slides down smoothly leaving tons of perfume-like residue.
D: This beer is smooth, flavorful and powerfully characteristic. I woke up the next morning and smelled floral hops. My desires for more are out of control!

washburnkid, Feb 23, 2009
4.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Memorable Quality: The time I had on tap super fresh it was one of the best beers I have ever had. Super dry finish, mouthwatering boquet of hops in the nose, perfectly creamy mouthfeel. I never wanted to stop drinking it, the bottles are a half step below this.

EDIT: I'm downgrading my review. Something is going on with Elder. The hops seem thinner, I'm getting more caramel as it warms than before, and overall it just seems to have changed for the worse. After having this side by side with Younger recently, the flaws of Elder were easier to detect.

squaremile, Feb 22, 2009

In a snifter:

Head has high retention and is bleach white. Sticky lacing. Smells: tons of grapefruit, lemon, honey, and pink lemonade. Pliny the Elder really draws you in. Tastes fruity and floral, with a bunch of grapefruit and lemon. Hops follow through with a
vengance in aftertaste, which balances out the malty start well. Fantastic mouthfeel: great body and perfect carbonation. Light and refreshing. Tastes fantastic and relatively gentle on the palate, which makes this beer exceedingly drinkable.

Overall: Pliny the elder is an absolutely fantastic IPA. Among the best of the best.

schroederm, Feb 22, 2009
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL bottle poured into a mug.
(Bottled 05 Jan 2009.)

Appearance: Pours a lovely copper hue, clear but with some particles floating at equilibrium within. Thin white head with some big bubbles sits on top and leaves some good lacing.

Smell: Fresh spicy hops! Grapefruit and some light florals.

Taste: Similar to the aroma, it tastes of grapefruit and has some mild floral hints. Spicy, especially at the finish and a bit into the aftertaste. There is something "mature" to the flavor: it doesn't come across as being in-your-face with the hops like many Double IPAs seems to do.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with light carbonation. Smooth too.

Drinkability: Strong? Yeah. But damn, it tastes so good.

Seems so much better than what I remember when I had it on tap a year ago. Tastes very fresh and nice... lovely IPA that is well worth getting, despite being a tad on the pricey side.

mithrascruor, Feb 22, 2009
4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance- Pours a bright white sudsy head with nicer retention and sheets of sticky white brussels lace, beer us a clear golden orange.

Smell- Like plunging your nose into a fresh bag of hops with hops fairly stinging the nose.

Taste- Explosive hit of citrus and resinous pine hopiness. Not well balanced, but with all the hop presence it couldn't hope to be. There's just enough malt lurking in there to be of note. Grapefruit peel finish that I think I'll still taste at breakfast tomorrow.

Mouthfeel- Moderately carbonated, bitterness to the point of mouthwatering. Sticks to the palate.

Drinkability- Hops so commanding that I could detect virtually no alcohol. Beware the eight percent ABV. Hopheads, this will be one of your all time favorites. Save these for session ends as you will not be able to go backwards to lighter bodied or less hoppy beers after this.

olmatty, Feb 22, 2009
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

This is a very drinkable DIPA.

Creamy head with a tight lace that sticks.

Very sweet aroma with a taste to match. Not a very bitter DIPA which adds to it's drinkability.

At 8% ABV, this is an incredibly smooth beer.

Mouthfeel is good , but a touch thin.

I'd love to try this one on cask!

Colterd, Feb 21, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6%

This is one review that is long overdue. The Elder was among my first memorable IIPAs, and the one I've returned to most frequently. This review will be from a bottled example, as I imagine that is how many BAs will get to experience it. I'll follow with an on-draft review next time I encounter it.

Poured into a Duvel tulip (hey, why not?), this three-week old Elder pours a deep burnt orange with a two-finger-thick off-white head. Agitation returns a hearty amount of head and reveals lots of lacing.

The nose is dominated by a huge bouquet of hops, with pine and grapefruit each doing their best to grab your attention. Although I don't partake in its use, nuances of that certain other plant that is close relative of the hop plant are also quite apparent, an olfactory characteristic even the brewery does not deny.

The initial bite is both sweet and bitter. Quickly following is a realization that what I'm tasting is a near-perfect example of the style... THIS is what an Imperial IPA should taste like! The grapefruit, pine, and various tropical fruits you pick up on the nose are each individually discovered as it sits on your tongue, complemented by a near-perfect malt presence. This is fiinish is soft and clean, leaving the perfect balance of sweetness and bitterness on the tongue.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with carbonation levels right in the middle.

I can see why the RR brewpub has so many regulars. I'd drink this everyday too, given the chance.

Along with the Younger, this is the best IIPA I've ever had. Fantastic.

ThirdLap, Feb 20, 2009

Reviewed on 02/19/09, bottled 01/05/09

A - Poured into a tulip glass with golden yellow in color. Very clear, not cloudy at all. Nice thick fluffy white head. Great lacing.

S - Pine, Citrus/Grapefruit and Hops

T - Similar to nose, heavy on the hops, followed by a citrus and pine and a little spice. Hop heads will love this one. It's not a hop bomb persay, it's just right, great balance with the malt!

M - A little thin on side in the mouth, could use some more body, but nice carbonation. For as hoppy as it is. It's not a palette killer

D - Very good drinkability for a double IPA. Nice and tasty and an easy drink.

mikedashg, Feb 20, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Talk about a god damn hop bomb!!! This sucker kicks you right in the teeth, winks at you then ask's you what's good? Finally I get my hands on Pliny.

Poured a nice hazy orange with a nice frothy white head that disappeared rather quickly to show some bad ass lacing that was glued right to the glass. I repeat BAD ASS

Smells like a hop bomb should. Straight up piney hops all up in your grill. Also a tad of great grapefruit up in there as well, but mostly HOPS, HOPS, and more HOPS... then again HOPS. one more time?

Taste is again HOPS, duh. Also citrus grapefruit and some great malt presence as well. The piney hops deffinatly overpower ALL in it's path. Make's you pucker and your eye will twitch... twice. Even chuck norris will have a tough time with this one. It's just that bad ass!

Overall this lived up to the HYPE. It's one bad mother.... shut yo mouth.

cleeze, Feb 20, 2009
4.93/5  rDev +6%

PLINEY THE ELDER IS A HOPHEAD DREAM. THE RIPE PINE AROMA RISES OUT OF THE BEER AS SOON AS IT OPENED. IT HAS A LIGHT FRUITINESS FOLLOWED BY A SHARP CITRIC ACID BITE IS AWESOME. THE FINISH STAYS WITH YOU. IN ALL I THINK THIS IS A GREAT BEER WORTHY OF THE TOP TEN. THE ONLY WAY IT COULD GET BETTER IS BE EASIER TO GET.

locstir, Feb 19, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

For a beer that tastes so Hoppy it has a very light golden yellow tint to it. The head and lace start to go away pretty quickly.

This Beer has a wonderful new smell to it for me. A very strong Piney, woodsey, and Hoppy smell to it. Witht he slightest hint of fruits in the background.

Again this beer has a very refreshing Hoppy and Piney taste to it with hints of fruits in the background. As I went threw the beer the taste of fruits slightly disappeared but the hop and pine flavors intensified.

It's a sneaky beer that you would like to keep drinking do to the taste, but the beer will catch up to you! Top 3 IPA's for me recommend to anyone.

BZero007, Feb 18, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Found this in Seattle, 500ml bottle for 4.99. Had to get it just because these are hard to find in Colorado where I live.

Pours a kind of orange hazy color. With a med body head that disolves quick but has some nice clingy lacing.

Aroma is mainly hops, definately grapefruit and a bit of cracker but the hops do take over.

Taste is pretty smooth for an 8% beer. Nothing harsh, just nice hops and a well balanced malt profile. Very rich and flavorful, not as much of a hop bomb as I expected. Has a sweet but tart and bitter finish that only makes you want more. Good thing I got 2.

kgotcher, Feb 18, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

I have had a lot of very good beers the past few days and I feel like I am writing a lot of positive reviews. But even with all of these great beers and great reviews this beer may be my favorite of all time.

This beer pours surprisingly light and golden yellow. If you have never had it you would be suprised at the depth of flavor for a beer that looks so light.

The smell is just hops. Floral and excellent dry hopped aroma that betrays the color and lets you know that the beer in the glass is full of flavor.

Where the Pliny excelled for me is the taste. While I love hoppy bitter beers the Pliny manages to incredibly hoppy without being weighed down with too much bitterness of thickness. The mouthfeel of the beer is fairly light and fruity (for a beer with this flavor). It doesn't leave that thick hop resin or bitterness that you can get with some very hoppy beers. The taste is just what I am looking for in this type of beer, an excellent floral and fruity hop flavor without some of the heavy bitterness that can weigh down some beers.

For drinkability I think this beer is excellent. Like I said about the bitterness, the floral aspect of the hops makes it refreshing. Its the kind of beer I could enjoy with a summer bbq or a cool winter evening. A fantastic beer all around, one of the best.

tjsprague, Feb 17, 2009
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks heaps to Joecast for this bottle.

Bottled on date of 09/04/08 so it is a few months old.

A - Poured into a tulip glass with a couple of centimetres of fluffy white head that falls fairly quickly. The beer itself is a clear dark gold with an orange hue.
S - Smell is dominated by piney hop aromas. There is some tropical fruit notes in the background. Possibly faded away a bit over the few months.
T - Piney and slight tropical fruit hop notes also in the taste backed up by a nice sweetish but not cloying biscuity malt character.
M - Medium bodied, fairly low carbonation with a moderately bitter, dry finish.
D - 8% well hidden. Not quite the "hop bomb" I was expecting; just a very drinkable, well balanced DIPA. Can't wait to drink some more one day!

brendan13, Feb 15, 2009
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to mhewes for sending this in trade this week. Have been very excited to get my hands on this. Pours a light golden color with with a solid 1" frothy white head. Leaves nice lacing on the pint as the head recedes. Maybe it is the DIPAs I have had, but this one looks lighter than most. A far more earthy/pine aroma to the hops, versus the citrusy hops that many IPAs have. The taste is exceptional, a strong hops punch, but surprisingly balanced. There is an interesting sweet taste, faintly, in the background that adds to aids in that balance. The ABV is well hidden, as this goes down smooth and easy. Definitely deserving of the hype, I only wish I could stock my fridge with them, as a self proclaimed hop head.
A second tasting on 4/13/09 (bottled 1/23/09) has caused me to better appreciate the aroma and taste in this beer. The look is still very pale, but that doesn't come through in the taste. The crisp pine in both smell and taste is incredible, and yet balanced. Very light considering what it takes to get to this ABV and IBU.
A third tasting of a three week old bottle has only further enhanced my appreciation of this beer. Amazing, I wish I lived in CA.

bhalter8, Feb 14, 2009
4.38/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The initial aroma is incredibly piny, like a deep, fresh breathe of forest. Upon swirling the glass and opening it up, slight aromas of creamy vanilla come through, with a big head that forms but diminishes rapidly upon settling. Tastes of bold hops, slightly bitter but very smooth. Pine all the way through. Complements the Mediterranean-style lamb dish I am having very well.

The body is a reddish golden, with the top exhibiting a nice cloudy appearance prior to agitation. Nice punch to the mouth via the hops but nothing too severe. Decent aftertaste but can become a little much if I don't follow up with a sip of water or another bite of lamb.

As the beer warms up a little, the taste becomes sweeter, less fresh pines and more grapefruit and other citrus.

This ranks among my top three favorite IPAs (Stone IPA and 90 Minute being the other two), and I have noticed little difference between drinking it from the tap versus from the bottle. Both are delicious - very full-bodied, fresh, and hitting the taste-buds just right without overwhelming them.

jminsc76, Feb 13, 2009
4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a pint glass and came up with a nice half inch head. Produced a cloudy gold color. Good lacing left on my glass.

Aroma was of honey and citrus fruits; I could smell tangerine and grapefruit in there.

Deceptive taste! Slightly sweet at first followed up immediately by a big bitterness reminiscent of lime. Not unpleasant however, pretty good and not what I was expecting. Very unique I would have to say.

Aftertaste sticks to the back of your tounge with a bitter lemon-rind like flavor. Good carbonation and medium bodied taste help this beer go down quick.

Good enough to have 1 or 2 but I would probably find the oily bitter aftertaste a little unpleasant and overpowering after that. Not as hoppy as I expected it to be (I'm not a huge hop-head). I'll definitely have another one sometime soon.

davexisxrabid, Feb 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

Grabbed this one after trying the Younger. It was a pretty good night, I have to say.

Appearance - A nice, deep amber color. A couple inches of whispy head leave a little lacing. Deeper color than the Younger, but I actually liked it better.

Smell - Nice grapefruit. Definitely more pine hops. It's got a real earthiness, but lots of nice citrus as well. It's a good smell. It's heavier, with a real hop smell. Not messing around, that's for sure.

Taste - Pretty heavy hops. Definitely less balanced than the Younger. It is a little harsh on the hops. Pretty sweet up front, with all that citrus goodness. But then it gets heavier with the pininess. The aftertaste is nice and smooth however. It's very good. More of a traditional hop-bomb here. It doesn't sparkle on the tongue, but lays down big tracks.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good, but a little syrupy. Not as crisp as I'd like it to be.

Drinkability - Certainly not as great as the Younger. The alcohol warms a little, but generally mellows out. The syrupyness and the heaviness makes it a little tough. That said, it's so damned good that you want more.

If the Younger seemed a little "thin" at times, this one has no such problems. It's definitely a hop heaviness, without as much balance. It's almost hard to handle. The lady friend really liked the Younger, but this one was "too hoppy". It doesn't have that supreme craftsmanship and balance of the Younger. But, it's almost better in a way. It's hoppy, and doesn't apologize for anything. That said, it's pretty heavy. Like a bomb.

callmescraps, Feb 12, 2009
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Got this beaut in a trade from davexisxrabid. Thanks dave. been waiting a long time for my first rr. bottled 11/26/08.

A: Poured into a smutty tulip. mellow head that dissipated into a lighter, looser film. Chill haze and some particulate. nice golden but really nothing crazy. very pleasant pure gold.

S: An earthier kind of grapefruit than i have experienced with the hopslam and hopknot and very citrusy ipas. Grassy, but still extremely hoppy ad citrusy.

T: Wow. Hoppy, yes. What else would one expect. But not in the way i imagined. nowadays i expect dipas in particular to be all hops, no balance, no real complexity other than in your face ibus. the citrus hops are very present, but backed by a milder sweetness reminiscent of melon of some kind. It's dry as well, which is very pleasant.

M: Doesn't coat, but stands. good body on the whole mouth with a slight effervescence that goes with the hops very well. lifts the citrus, bitterness and dryness off the palate.

D: very very much so. I have found other dipas to have very low drinkability simply due to their abject lack of balance. somehow, even though it's not a balance with malt, this beer accomplishes that balance and is very pleasurable.

Pamola, Feb 12, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

realized I hadn't jotted down a review yet, so here' goes...

pours a beautiful glowing hazy (chill-hazed?) golden amber hue with a fair one-finger bubbly cap off of a vigorous pour. Fair retention before sinking to a ring that leaves some beautiful lacing.

Aroma is heavenly. Citrus, pine, floral, and herbal all take equal part in creating an intoxicating aroma on top of a biscut malt. Sweet, sugary, hoppy, grapefruit, pine trees and Lilly.

Taste is hop bittering right up front. Citrus and pine dominate, with a fair bit of floral and herbal. nears medicinal at times. A caramel and toffee sweetness is definitely present, helping to balance the heavily hop-centric brew.

Mouth is clean, crisp and full bodied. Carbonation is solid but not overbearing. A touch on the light side of being chewy. A bit drying, and a definite lingering bitterness.

All in all, pretty impressive. I've had a few here and there since last summer, and it always pleases. I can see how it's rated as one of the top brews, although I can't say I'm completely overwhelmed/floored. The bitterness is high, almost to the point of getting medicinal. The head isn't quite as stunning as I'd hope. But all in all, impressive. And a must try, if nothing else than to say you've tried it.

djeucalyptus, Feb 10, 2009
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Beer received in a recent trade with Olibeer22, opened the day I received it (couldn't wait). The bottle is exactly 1 month old.

Pours a hazy light copper color, with a nice, off-white head that is nice and fluffy. The head has nice retention, and leaves great lattice-like lacing all the way through the end.

This beer smells nice. Clean, piney hops, with some faint citrus hops in the background.

The taste of this beer is its strong point. It is amazing! Nice bittering hops, with a super clean hop flavor. Nice supporting cast of some malts too. The drying effect of this beer is unbelieveable, and great!

The feel is on par for the style. good, but not great.

Overall, a great beer, and I cannot wait to try it again, hopefully sooner, rather than later.

mikecharley, Feb 10, 2009
4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

Yes, this is a good beer. Yes, you should try it. If you like hoppy beers, you will almost certainly enjoy it. Very nice.

Pours a tame golden color. It's the head and the lacing that make it look so good. Pours a thick, bubbly, persistent layer of foam. Smells piny and sweet. Tastes piny, of course, with very floral undertones and a very well balanced bitter-hoppy-malty-sweet combination.

Feels thick (not quite syrupy) in the mouth. Hopheads will find this drinkable.

snaotheus, Feb 10, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

I have had this beer a few times now on tap and in the bottle but this time I am reviewing the bottle.

Poured into my RR pint glass. Man this beer is beautiful. So clear and such a nice color. The head is so white and frothy looking. Almost as if I got it on cask. Man it is a beautiful looking beer.

Smell is incredible. So much hop aroma. I have never smelled a beer with so much aroma. So much citrus/grape fruit/pine. It smells sublime.

Taste is off the wall hops. Nice and bitter and crisp but a TON of hop flavor and malt balance to make it very enjoyable. Man I love this beer.

Mouthfeel is perfect. Just enough carbonation and maltiness.

Drinkability: I would drink this all night at a bar and it will be a beer I keep around in my fridge for sure whenever I get a hop craving. This beer will more than take care of your craving for hops and might make you crave them even more. Here was this beer when I was first getting into beer? I would have turned a hop head instantly.

PeprSprYoFace, Feb 09, 2009