Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,746
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.37/5  rDev -6.2%

Special thanks to my friend TBar for brining spinrsx and I back two bottles.

Appearance - beer pours a golden ale with a light tan color head. The head looks pretty foamy and light. Carbonation levels are minimal. Some decent lacing.

Smell - this is a hope explosion with a tone of pine accents. The beers real clean and tasteful.

Taste - wow - what a great beer! Found the hops explode in your mouth with the hint of pine. There is almost no bitterness in this beer.

Mouthfeel - not a tremendous amount of carbonation added, however, the pine accents come to the front. There is a little more aftertaste as well.

Drinkability - This is a very good beer, i am quite proud to say i have tried it and enjoyed it! too bad we cant get volumes of this in Canada, but i am thankful.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

This is the third or fourth time I've had Pliny, but the first from the bottle. This beer definitely lives up to expectations. The beer is pale amber color with a little rocky white head. However, as soon as you open up the bottle, the beer explodes with beautiful aroma. The smell is intoxicating, like super dank marijuana, just cut pine bows and freshly peeled grapefruit. The beer is overloaded with hops, it tastes just like it smells and the dank chronic flavor just envelopes my tongue, I think I'm about to getting high from this! There is just a hint of pineapple juiciness and grain sweetness that accompanies the long lingering bitterness. The mouthfeel has the perfect amount of carbonation, tannic and full-bodied. This is exceptionally drinkable and delicious. The 500 ml will not be enough.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured a golden straw color with a quarter inch of white bubbled head on it. Little sediment but nothing major.

Smells of hops and a little alcohol. Hits the nose with a big smell but it smells really good. Not overly crazy sweet and potent like some IPAs can be. This is well balanced.

Tastes cold (like if cold had a flavor) and fresh. Hoppy and balanced with a decent malt character. Little bit of bitterness but the hops are more there in full flavor rather than overly bitter. Very tasty. The fact that it's 8% is masked by the full body of the beer.

Seeing that this is well carbonated I'm surprised as to how smooth it is. It's very easy on the palate and is a treat.

This was my first RR ever and I'm glad I had the chance to get my hands on some. This is quite the tasty brew and definitely one of the best IPAs that I have had. I could drink this all night. I had the Surly Wet a few weeks before I had a shot at this and as far as fresh beers go, that was amazing but this is a great year round wonder.

From notes on 03/25/2010

Leaves a solid two fingers of head, and a solid amount of lacing. Golden glowing body and an egg white head.

Big Hop Aroma is the least I can say, this boy gives you a chariot ride of fireballs rushing through the night sky listening to Rush - Tom Sawyer. In all honesty, tons of floral hops hit the nose, followed by a citrusy almost pineapple like sweetness. Delicious.

Taste is where it all comes together. Balancing this heavy of a hop load with the right amount of malt is where I came to appreciate this beer for what it is. Epic. Heavy on the hops, balanced perfectly by the maltiness. f balanced

Moderate carbonation, with a fairly oily mouthfeel. Alcohol is barely noticeable.

Honestly, I could drink this again and again and again, but I do not to ruin the experience. Can't wait to a hold of this one again

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured a nice amber color, slightly darker than some IPA's.

Aroma: Very strong and sweet, complex mix of Pine,Citrus, and sweet herbs.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, and moderately crisp. Finishes with a feel of resin that carries the hop flavor.

Taste: Very nice balance between all flavors. Hop taste is exactly as it smelled, very strong, but balanced with bitterness perfectly.

Drank 6 bottles weekly. 1st bottle was a week old and delicious. By the 4th bottle/week, the hop sweetness/flavor fell off a little, and the bitterness stood out more. Actually liked it more at this stage. By the 6th/week bottle, the bitterness stood out alot, but still retained good hoppiness.

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Shinny new copper color with a nice one and a-half finger head.

Smell: Full bodied piny hops with slight citrus notes mid nose.

Taste: Exceptionally balanced between piny and citric hops and a full malty body.

Mouthfeel: Perfect carbonation that immediately fills the mouth and flows over and around the tounge.

Drinkability: Absolutely one of the finest Imperial IPA's I have yet to taste. Possibly the Holy Grail.

Bottled on 10/08/10.

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Bottled on 8/16/10 reviewed on 8/22/10.

Appearance- Light pale amber with a big fluffy whit head that fills half of the snifter on even a gentle pour. Pliny is much paler than most DIPAs but somehow this makes it seem even more refreshing.

Aroma- Pine, citrus, hop burst. The nose on this beer will wake you up.

Taste- Fresh and bright with none of the resin that is so often the bane of DIPAs. The bitterness that comes through at the end is strong but not overwhelming.

Mouth- The carbonation helps keepthe mouthfeel light while still maintaining the fullness that is associated with the style.

Drink- This is not a one and done beer as many in the style are. It has a great/assertive flavor but does not punish you with a resiny or cloying coat on your mouth. Really a pleasure to drink.

Get it and drink it fresh.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

First Pliny enjoyed at Spinnerstown with Jim and Brian. Had this beer along with Damnation, Consecration and Temptation so I will review again later when I am more focused. But I cant think of an IPA/DIPA or any beer that I've had that I would honestly drink before this one. So balance and frighteningly easy to drink for 8%. Took a growler for the fridge and will definitely seek out in the near future. Thanks again to John, Jim and Brian for the great company.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass

Pours a honey amber color with a half inch of white head. Leaves a beautiful lacing down the glass from the small collar of head.

Smells like honey/caramel malt sweetness and a big citrus/pine hop punch.

Taste has that hop punch up front with a caramel sweet finish and a pine hop after taste. This is definitely an "A" beer.

Mouthfeel is moderate with a tinge of prickly carbonation, extremely enjoyable.

Drinkability is excellent, I would love to take a few of these down.

Overall, I think this beer is a little over hyped. Given this or Nugget Nectar, I'll take NN. Glad I tried it and I would get seek it out again. Highly recommended to seek out but not the be all end all.

4.47/5  rDev -4.1%

I had this on tap at the Spinnerstown Hotel. I got there shortly after it was tapped. Been wanting to try the PTE for a long time and just walked into this. It was served in a tulip glass probably 12 oz. Amber in color with a thick white finger plus head. The smell was fantastic. The hops dominate with grapefruit up front by a small amount of lemon.
The taste was just like the smell. Hoppy grapefruit. It starts strong and fades to a creamy sweetness, unbelievably enjoyable.
The feel is very creamy especially after the beer is swallowed.
For an 8% DIPA this beer goes down so easy. It is not my favorite style by any means but now I understand why everyone raves about the Pliny.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

Ahhh, one of the Holy Grails of the beer world. This pours a very clear and sparkling copper. The head laces the glass as the beer is consumed. The aroma is deliciously and divinely hoppy: citrus, grapefruit, cantaloupe, mango, tropical fruit, and a bit of clean and light pine. Every aroma is matched in the flavor. This is a hop head's delight. The finish is bitter. The aftertaste is clean, matching the flavors, all of which linger on the palate. This is the second time I have had Pliny and it is as good as I remember. If you like American hop forward IPA's, this is a classic, excellent and high benchmark example of the style. This beer is so exquisitely tasty, it is hard to believe it is 8% ABV. Bottled on 10-18-10.

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%

Great deep orange color. Decent foamy white head. Dissipated into a ring which left lacing down the glass as I went.

This is of course the standard so you get what you should. Floral hops, on the nose and tongue. Some citrus with the tartness of grapefruit. There was a touch of malt that I don't normally pick up in other IPAs. This is really a well balanced beer.

Light refreshing mouthfeel. The alcohol will leave you a bit fuzzy in the head if you don't drink much like myself, but you definitely can't find any traces of it otherwise.

I'm not a huge IPA fan. That being said, this was really enjoyable. One I will go back to if I can get my hands on it.

4.3/5  rDev -7.7%

Part 2 of a Russian River IPA tasting.
Poured from a 500 mL into a snifter.

A: Pours a clear orange with a light white head that leaves a light stream of lacing along the edges.
S: Strong piney hops, a little bit on the boring side.
T: Again, very strong pine-flavored hops, but there is a smooth malt taste in the finish to balance out these hops.
M: Crisp, light bodied, and well carbonated.
D: This is refreshing. Not even a trace of alcohol, this goes down easy, almost too easy at a higher ABV. Still good enough for a pint's worth.

So I finally got a hold of the Holy Grail and I was not disappointed

The firs thing I noticed was the incredible smell..Yes a hint of pine but the citrus overwhelmed me. Someone said Pineapple and I agree. It was a strong hoppy Beer but so drinkable. It had a slight bitter taste but nothing that overwhelmed.

Wont be my last...special thanks to La Bodega in Riverside for having it.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

This is my first Pliny, received in trade from generous BA ClarkGriswald. Thanks again, Mark! Poured into a snifter.

A - great golden-amber color, beautiful white head on top.

S - all the things a DIPA should have - citrus, orange, some vanilla, wheat grass, a creamy sweetness.

T - same as nose, but with a definite hops tartness that balances out as a creamy sweet finish on the back of the palate.

M - the great carbonation and slight maltiness make this brew almost float across the palate while adding great flavor from the hops and citrus.

D - I only have two but could go all night. Awesome!

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Enjoyed on one of a few BA/Rare Beer Night Tastings during the month of September 2010. I was not able to take deatiled notes on this one, but I did make some shorthand and took mental notes in order to prepare a small review. I plan to take more deatiled notes on my next opportunity to try this rare find.

I was able to try a "fresh" one and one a few months old during the 9/2010. Enjoyed them both as fine examples of a hop flavor fwd IPA with citrus character. More on the dry side for an IPA, looking fwd to trying one again and taking more detailed notes.

4.32/5  rDev -7.3%

Another infamous beer is siting in front of my face. A few months ago I was able to enjoy the Westvleteren 12, the highest rated beer on the planet. Now I am about to enjoy a bottle of the Russian River Pliny the Elder; the second highest rated beer on the planet. I have learned quite a lot about drinking these so notoriously famed beers, most notably is not to concern yourself so much with its fame. This could be the most powerful influence on your perception of taste before you have even had the beer. So to best enjoy and evaluate the beer you must ignore it. So I will say no more of its rank.

Russian River's Pliny the Elder is a West-Coast Double American IPA. Pliny the Elder was actually a Roman Naturalist, scholar, historian and writer. Russian River seemingly dedicated this beer to Pliny's memory because he was among a few who created the botanical name for hops, lupus salictarius, which later became known as humulus lupulus. There is no IBU measurement listed on bottle or the web site, but simply because of its dedication and origin, we can rightfully expect something pretty hoppy.

The Pliny comes in 500ml bottles and is available year round in California. I do like that Russian River is selling it in a 500ml bottle rather than a 355ml. Honestly for a quenching IPA, even one at 8%, more is better, and 355ml usually just wont cut it.

I opened the Elder up cool around 8C (45F) and poured it into a few snifter glasses to share with my friends. The pour was smooth and silky unfolding out of the glass with a oil-like texture. It hit the glass hard and built up with a heavy glowing amber liquid. A head was slow to form, but by the end of the pour a solid pale white foam had build 1 inch over the beer showing relatively dense carbonation and a creamy cap. The beer was really shinning at me. It was a bright and shimmering orange with hints of amber brown and big golden streaks beaming through it. The Pliny was totally opaque, and settled into a smooth and attractive beer.

The nose is all hops showing a resiny punch of west coast, and highly aggressive earth aromas. The biggest up front is a sticky pine and woodsy aroma that bring with it a soft wave of citrus, grapefruit and lemon peal. It has hops written all over it and is brimming with the oily aromas of fresh humulus lupulus. Malt sweetness shows hints of sugary caramel and a balancing act of mellow pale malt, but they are nonetheless only there to help showcase the triumph of centennial, warrior, chinook, simcoe and columbus hops. It is actually very nice and smooth and not pungent or sharp. Great aroma.

With my first few sips I tried to get through the wall of hops to try and find some malts, which I did... But there was no fighting it. This beer was built with a purpose. Smooth and gentle waves of hops ride into your palate showing a layered complexity of hoppy flavors. Piny fresh needles, citric fruits, clean zest and sweet earthiness all play along together in a harmoniously quenching hop symphony.

There is a mellow and smooth malt sweetness that does shine though. It is clean and gentle with classic pale malt and gentle caramel flavors. Smooth and easy is its duty here as to not disturb the presence of the hops. At the back end of this beer hops still shine though. The tangy sweet hops that came in front brought tropical flavors of pineapple, orange zest and grapefruit. Now though I am being quenched more by earth, apples and pine needles. This is a hopehead's beer, that is for sure.

From start to finish this beer was quenching and very delicious. What impresses me is the complexity and layers of flavor that the hops bring rather than just a simple one sided hop blast. The texture and mouthfeel too are perfect with a smooth and elegant feeling balancing off moderate, but appropriate carbonation. It finishes cleanly with more citrus and pine leaving you with a fresh palate, and wanting more. The only thing I could still want is a slight more malt. Enjoy the Elder with spicy foods, chicken wings, steak, soft cheeses, dark chocolate deserts, or a cigar.

Pics at: http://definitionale.com/2010/11/10/tasting-the-russian-river-pliny-the-elder/

500ml Bottle

Bottle acquired in a trade with swedes21 - thanks buddy! Bottled 10/18/10

Appearance - The beer pours a slightly hazy amber/orange colour with a fair size fizzy and frothy off white head. There is a very high amount of carbonation showing and there is some very nice lacing on the sides of the glass. The head stuck around for around 5 minutes before it dissipated.

Smell - pine, hops, pineapple, citrus zest, floral notes

Taste & Mouth - There beer has a spectacular mouth feel - it doesn't feel as carbonated as it looks. It has a nice light feeling while remaining creamy and velvety. The beer starts with a sweet sugary pineapple flavour and then leads into a piney hop bitterness. It finishes with a strong hop aftertaste that lingers within my taste buds even after a few minutes have passed.

Overall - I wasn't sure what to expect with all of the hype about this beer. It is without a doubt the best imperial IPA I have had to date. You can really tell that they used very high quality ingredients in this beer. Worth seeking out.

4.12/5  rDev -11.6%

I have now had several bottles of this, ranging from 8 days old to 6 weeks old and all of them were quite good.

A orange/gold, slightly opaque and a very small head that goes away rather quickly, but leaves a small white layer. some lacing, but not a ton

S citrusy deliciousness. grapefruit, orange, orange blossoms, some pine. why cant i get this in a scented candle:)

T bitter citrus, with a hint of malts. great example of what a dipa should taste like

m/d very drinkable and almost a coating, creaminess of hops and citrus on the tongue

this definitely did not disappoint, though in the range of bottles Ive had my feelings have been from one of the better DIPAs ever to this is good, and had nothing to do with age. So I have to take something away from it.

Thanks to DJMichaelk for this! Bottled on 9/21/10

A: Nice gold color with little head, but nice lacing. I didn't get the big fluffy white head I see most experienced with this beer, must have been a poor pour.

S: Really inviting smell. Citrus, floral, hoppy, and piney.

T: Refreshing taste. Very light for a double IPA, but the taste is phenomenal. Hops hit the mouth first, malts smooth it out, and a nice dryness finishes it off.

MF: Medium bodied, but lighter than I would have expected.

D: Extremely drinkable, if only I had access to it!

2.42/5  rDev -48.1%

I expected BIG things from this Ale. TOTALLY OVER RATED!!! One dimensional with no sophistication . Tasted like a pine cone or kitty litter, take your pick, Very short after taste that finished like balsa wood. Can't figure out all the hype??? I tasted this with 2 other Beer Drinkers, and we all felt the same.

4.67/5  rDev +0.2%

I was fortunate enough to have some Pliny shared with me. This particular beer had been bottled only 28 days before we opened it, so I feel confident it was a fairly accurate representation of how it should taste. This poured a deep golden or copper color with a decently sized white head. Head retention was good and it left a little lacing. Smell was of citrus and fruit in addition to the hoppy smell. I found it interesting that the smell highlighted the citrus but the beer has more of a pine flavor in the taste. Starts out with the citrus and a little bit of pine hop, then hits the little bit of malt in the middle and finishes off with a bitter pine hop. Mouthfeel is good, light/medium body with moderate carbonation. At first I didn't really appreciate Pliny, but I think I get it now. It's been a few months since I tried it last and now, as I sit outside a SoCal bar I appreciate Pliny. It still isn't my most favorite IPA or DIPA but it definitely makes the top 3. This is some dang good beer.

4.92/5  rDev +5.6%

A - Pours gold/light amber with adequate slightly off-white head. Dissipates to a thin ring leaving plenty of laces on the glass.

P - Sweet malts with plenty or dry hopped aroma. Hop profile is floral,citrus, piney. Very inviting aroma. Hop forward.

T - Hops dominate and flavor follows the aroma. Smooth bitterness. Dry hopped vegetal finish, but not overwhelming.

M - Moderate body. Average carbonation bite. Warm alcohol on the swallow. Leaves a resinous hoppy coating in the mouth. Lingering bitterness.

D - Very drinkable.

Overall - I had heard a lot about this beer and I had to find it when visiting CA. I had one on tap at Stone Brewing and was extremely impressed. This review is on the bottled form. This beer is everything expected. The smoothness of the drink, specifically the bitterness and balance with malt, is amazing. It has that extra "something" that sets it above.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to BigBlacke for helping me find this in Florida.

A-beautiful gold, thin white head. looks like liquid gold, tho that might just be because of the anticipation

S-oh wow the hops the pine, its absolutely perfect and complex

T-yes i understand the hype. this is all around perfect. the hops, the pine, everything. its a perfect amount of bitter as well. it starts with the pine and ends with the wonderful hops. this is just a complex beer. i don't know how to describe it in words. i could go on forever about the perfect balance between the hops and malts

M-medium carbonation, extremely creamy

D-i will never grow old of this. this is my new favorite IPA. the abv doesn't hit quickly either

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%

I have had this beer on tap at the brewery, but this review is a bottle shipped to me from a beer buddy.

Pours yellow/golden with a light haze. smells nice and piney with citrus and pine flavors very well balanced. If I could get this here, I would drink all the time. Very easy drinking for an 8%er. Great Beer!!!

Bye