Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,995
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours an orangey amber colour with a thin, pockled off-white head. Not much carbonation, bit of a lacing cradle but slides quite steadily down the glass. A bit dull and lifeless-looking, really. Disappointing.

Holy shit that nose peels a layer of skin off your nose. I mean really, that smells like hop pellets smell. Very strong and herbacious with little else to it. I like it, not all that complex but impressive.

Wow, again intense hoppiness on the palate that's like rubbing basil leaves against the inside of your mouth. Intense hop hit - cascade maybe - on the front palate that is like a miniature Everest of hops rising on the flavour. Mid palate is a bit more mild with nice malty characters and it lingers for the back palate to create a delicious bittersweet finish. Palate is very well constructed to hit you hard with hops, then pull back to leave you with a very, very pleasant, satisfying aftertaste. Mouthfeel is smooth and basically, the more I drink, the more I want to drink. That finish is just immaculate, and the alcohol is hidden beautifully.

Delicious. Intense on first drinking but just really nice and pleasant.

laituegonflable, Dec 26, 2008
4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

could not wait to finally try this brew.
poured a golden and copper blond color with a great, frothy 2 finger head.
aroma is like a botany lesson about hops, its citrusy and piney and grassy and exiting.
the taste made me grin uncontrollably for about 5 minutes. a super hoppy but well balanced beer. its like an initial hop kick in the mouth, followed by a sweet and malty french kiss, finished with another hoppy slap to the jowls. but in an awesome way.
grapefruit, pine, eucalyptus, peppery greens, pipe resin and baby tears are all present.
feels nice but not outstanding.
all in all a great beer, and a nice introduction to double IPA's, a style I have not had too much experience with.
will drink many more very soon.

JoshuaCain, Dec 24, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Everybody wants to talk about hype. But open a bottle of this within a few miles of the conversations, and it's like...you were saying?

I don't know if I can write one of those reviews. I'm usually not very descriptive, at least not in the right sort of way. But I did have an experience.
About the beer:
It pours out a straw yellow color, with a bit of amber. Sometimes I like my IPAs a little more copper. It suggests that your skull might not be burned out by bitterness. There's quite a head, too. I remember one little cloud of bubbles that sat on top the entire time. I had a bit of lacing, but not the strata effect.
The smell is hops. I mean, you open a bag of fresh hops and smell, that's what you get. What are the keywords: citrusy, piney, spicy, herbal, grassy? I have to use one of those right? It doesn't matter which I choose, insert one here: ___. Now forget about trying to describe the smell without smelling it. Can't be done. For those of you who aren't lucky enough to have one of these, sorry. Get one.
The taste is as if someone made hop tea. Sort of. The smell matches the taste, and you could never get a better understanding of hop taste than in this beer. There isn't the incredible bitterness that people seem to expect from the style. There were finishing hops! And lots of dry hops! Almost all aroma and flavor, with the little kick of bitterness to remind you that it's a beer your drinking. Sweetness? You could try and find it, but why would you want to? This is what all other DIPAs should try to be.
The mouthfeel, if you haven't gotten the picture yet, is just like a bouquet of hops, with a little bitterness. Easy enough.
Of course I want another Pliny. Good thing I have one. I know I didn't give it a perfect score, and I don't expect to be able to power through a bunch of DIPAs in a night. Or even two. But I wish I could, and I know I couldn't do it with this either. I actually remember waking up in the middle of the night, and my tongue was numb. The hops had invaded, and I didn't want to taste anything else, ever.
I think I'm okay now.

I know I didn't give it perfect 5s, and I doubt I will ever give anything such a rating. What can I say? But if aliens came to Earth and asked for the purpose of human life, I would give them a bottle of Pliny the Elder...Wait, if I had a bottle, I would probably bludgeon them to death with a nine iron, then drink it myself. But it's the thought that counts.

taylorhamrick, Dec 24, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to 011x0110 for this wonderful beer via SS08.

Bottled on 100208.

Pours from a 550ml bottle into an imperial pint glass. Beer emerges a rather light colored, pale golden color with a small white head. Some good lacing going on while the head leaves fairly quickly. By the looks of this one, this might be awfully hoppy.

Aroma is pure hop goodness. Loads of grapefruit and lemon and even some grassa and a touch of piney goodness. The looks gave this one away. Without that caramel color, I had a feeling the hops would lead the show, and they do.

More hops in the flavor. This one has lots of hop flavor as well as some hop bitterness. Being a DIPA, the bitterness is kept well in check and the hop flavor seems to be the star of the show. Very grapefruity in flavor with some fresh squeezed orange juice as well.

Mouthfeel was a touch thin for me. This could be a perfect IPA but listed as a double IPA makes this one fall short a touch. I could easily drink this any day, all day. A hop lovers dream without the extreme bitterness.

SaCkErZ9, Dec 23, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +6%

I stopped by Alison's Two, a newer place by my office and saw they had PtE on tap, wow.

The bartender poured a perfect draft in a stemmed glass. The slightly cloudy liquid was yellow with a tinge of copper. The head was an egg shell color, near stark white. The head stayed around for quite a long time while I took the appearance notes. As it did fall it left gobs of sticky thick lace behind. The lacing effect was so interesting to look at, I didn't want to pick it and drink for fear of ruining the look. But alas...

The aroma was a big hop blast right up front. Huge grapefruit, pine and tangerine. The malts in the aroma take quite a back seat to the hop aromas but they are present in the form of caramel and biscuit.

On first sip, the hops come pouring through. On the front line are pine, white grapefruit, grapefruit zest (lots of it). The second line brings the tangerine and ruby red grapefruit. It is interesting that both the bittersweet white grapefruit and the sweet-bitter ruby red are easily discernable in the beginning and the middle, respectively. The malts are caramel and biscuit from the nose, but there is a bit of simple syrup that rounds out a semi-sweet malt profile. On the finish, the bitterness set in and lingers quite along time. It is not an overwhelming bitterness but one that is welcome and draws you in for the next sip.

Interestingly, the body of this beer is not as full as I would have thought. I would say it ahs a medium body, leaning a little to the lighter side. As it warmed, the body got even lighter. The carbonation is both lively and creamy at the same time. The finish is a touch astringent, leaving the pallet a little dry and a touch puckered. This is cured by another sip.

The drinkability is top notch for a DIPA. The 8% does not show itself and the beverage quaffs very easily. With an unlimited supply of both money and this beer...

This is one of the finest Double IPAs I have had.

Thanks For Reading

jackorain, Dec 23, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

This exquisite elixir honors the great philosopher who perished in the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. From this tragedy comes this delicious brew from Russian River. Well ... there really isn't a direct connection, is there?

But I was honored to pay homage to Pliny the Elder at the recent Oregon Brewers Fest, where the line for this was a long, but worthy, one.

It pours a thick head that dissipates into a lathery lacing with thick clingage. The beer is a light amber color with a reddish tinge. There are intense notes of banana and citrus, the latter being somewhat reminiscent of mandarin oranges. Add to this, the expected hop heaviness; however, there is some balance to the mix that makes for a very complex mouthfeel. You may need to adjust your palate to such effect.

I can't add much to what has been written by others. This is your basic desert island beer. If you can find it, drink it - and you will savor it.

jjboesen, Dec 22, 2008
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Pulled the 500ml bottle out of the fridge, let it warm up 15min, then poured the first glass.

The appearance is a bright golden, with a impressive chill-haze that clears up once I get 1/2 way through the beer. Good beer lowers my threshold of patience. Medium tight head dissipates to about 1/2 finger that sticks around thanks to oily hop goodness... which also produces sticky lacing yum.

Aroma is a double-handful of complex hops. Not a slam, but a beautiful aroma. Resinous pine dominates with some florals in the middle.

Tast is suprisingly fruity. Believe me, plenty of hops on the front, but in the middle there lots of ripe pear and tangerine with more floral and resinous hops.

Mouthfeel is creamy and full and sweet/bitter hop aftertaste.

Absolutely delicious. Never had a better IPA in the bottle.

davedahl, Dec 22, 2008
4.4/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Had this on tap several time and bottle a few as well. Draft rating. Pour is cloudy orange with a big creamy head that disappears rather quickly, but leaves a bit behind. Nice lacing. Aroma is piney and citrus hops with malt sweetness. Flavor is hoppy, but not overwhelming. Like chewing fresh, wet hops...but with a good malt balance. Finishes very clean. One of my favorites.

miketd, Dec 21, 2008
4.65/5  rDev 0%

This beer pours a very cloudy amber with a light white head and a decent amount of lacing. The nose is of grapefruit, oranges and pine.... big hops :) The taste is very strong, especially the grapefruit hops flavor, and this beer does pocess a large malt base to be able counteract the massive ammount of hops. The mouthfeel is nice, a little undercarbonated in my opinion, but for such a huge DIPA the dry feeling afterwards is minimal. A very drinkable brew, I just wish I could get more of it :)

Biggness, Dec 21, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at the Falling Rock. Pours hazy orangish with thick off white head that lasts and laces fairly strongly. Reeked of hops and citrus. Tastes like a hoppy dream explosion, full of citrus and pine notes. Noticed tastes in bottles is about the same, just a little less intense and definitely mellows in time (definitely a better beer fresh). One brew I'm glad makes it to Colorado.

onecrazybreeze, Dec 21, 2008

Wow, Happy Holidays to me. I got my hands on a bottle of Pliny the Elder this afternoon and decided today would be the day to review this exceptional brew.

A: Pours a golden orange. Not much suds, light head.

S : Definite pine smell, overpowering pine and hops.

T : Extremely smooth and full of hop. More than anything it is CRISP. Not thick, light with some carbonation but just amazingly smooth.

D : Easy to see why people rank it so high. Many of the reviews were right on. It is a highly drinkable beer, the alcohol does not hit you like other beers at this percentage. Great 2IPA. Very deserving of it's high status!

Fantastic beer, so good my friend and I cracked into another bottle this evening because it was so impressive (also deserving of one of my first reviews).

Can't wait to have Pliny the Younger, if I can find it.

dsantos, Dec 21, 2008

A - Pours clear and light gold/orange with some nice lacing that sticks around for the entire ride.

S - Piney, citrus/grapefruit, floral & hoppy. Smells like one would after frolicking in a field of hops.

T - First taste is hoptastic... goes down smooth and gets even better once the palate adjusts to the hops; light malt sweetness starts coming through. Every sip is more enjoyable than the one before and dissipates in the mouth into a refreshing clean hop taste.

M - Great mouthfeel on this one... Crisp and light going down with medium carbonation and effervescence.

D - Zoinks scoob... this is one tasty beer. 8% you say? Blasphemy! Usually I can't drink but 2-3 IPA's since my palate gets overwhelmed and I'm left with a dry hoppy taste in the back of my throut... but this one... I could drink Pliny all night.

This is one of the best beers I've ever had! RRBC IMO is one of the best American brewers out there.

LilMatrix, Dec 20, 2008

Taken from notes. Consumed on 10-8-08

A: Pours clear amber, smallish off-white head. Below avg. head retention. Sticky lacing.

S: Big grapefruit hops, sweet malts. Both meld very well together. Very, very nice.

T: Big grapefruit/citrus hops. Malts up front, then the hops take over in the back. Amazing.

M: Absolutely perfect thickness, nice and creamy. Right level of carbonation for the style. Fantastic!

D: Very drinkable for the style. Extremely well balanced. Best DIPA I've had to date. This one lives up to it's lofty reputation.

Packforever1976, Dec 20, 2008
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

This, is, good, beer!

Ap - Light, clear golden color. Thick head with incredible lacing throughout the drink

Nose -- Ooooh...this is gonna be good....Rich nose of grapefruit, orange rind and wood shavings

Taste -- Zounds! A nice malt start with citrus and butterscotch that explodes across the tongue and then finishes into a nectar-hoppy end that lingers FOREVER, and does so without degrading into simple bitterness

Feel -- Big, thick rich, creamy, but not overwhelming

Dr - Can be enjoyed by itself, with a big meal (I had a first glass by itself and then one with grilled steak tips, which it held up to just fine), or during a big snow storm (Yep, got that, too!), or whenever.

Grandwazoo, Dec 20, 2008
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Shipped back from Denver during my trip. Poured from a 500ml bottle (bottled on date on label) into a pint glass. It was a hazy golden yellow color with a ton of yeast floaters. Almost no carbonation but great lacing. It had a finger of white head that slowly settled into a foam and collar.

The aroma was major league hops. Floral, citrus and quite a bit of pine. Didn't get the grapefruit that others mentioned. Fantastic aroma. You can tell this one going to be a tongue shredder. And it was. Amazing hop bite. Starts out slowly at first and then bam the hops hit the back and sides of the tongue. No mercy given. Great balance as it has the hop bomb hit but doesn't cross the line into overly hopped. Mouthfeel is great.

Overall, an excellent beer that I finally got to try. Well worth the hype and the high ranking. Highly, highly recommend. ADIPA is not an everyday style for me as they are aggressive hopped and kill the tongue for a bit but when I do want one I hope this is in the fridge. If avail here, I'd have several times a year.

TexIndy, Dec 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -8%

Had it on tap at Rosie & Joe's. Solid Imperial IPA. Pours a clear golden with a huge frothy white head that cannot be beaten back. Strong citrus aroma. First taste is massive hops, but then immediately dissipates. Finish is uncharacteristically dry. They compare it to Stone, so I will: this is a great Imperial IPA, but the Ruination has the edge.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a glass and the smell of hoppiness was instant. The color is a light orange/tan when light passes through (I usually prefer a slightly darker color for a double-IPA). The taste is amazing, hops are perfectly balanced and the malts are very present despite its lighter color. Its hard to tell if there is a dominant hop flavor (citrus, pine, melon...), but overall the hoppiness is very pleasant. The alcohol is not noticeable on the palate but after awhile the stomach begins to warm up. The beer has a good amount of carbonation. The drinkability is high if you are a hop-head otherwise it may be difficult to drink. Overall, this beer was very enjoyable and it is as good or possibly better then the numerous hoppy beers that flood the San Diego market.

derwestone, Dec 15, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

When poured, the color was a medium light hazy golden yellow with some foam and a load of lace on the side of the glass. The smell of flavorful hops, hops and more hops filled the nose with a pleasant soft aroma, of hops. The taste of the hops was very noticeable from mouth to palate. Probably the Best IPA I've drank ever. Some others were close, but not lick this one. No big bite, or over bitterness or sour tasting. Just a soft pleasant taste of hops, with hints of some candied citrus.

BeerManDan, Dec 13, 2008
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Had on tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours a wonderful burnt orange. Smells of strong citrus, grapefruit and hoppy goodness. Tastes like it smells, but better. Nice oily finish that coats your mouth with flavor that lasts a while. The most drinkable double IPA I've had to date.
Enjoy this if you can spot it.

BevMoPatrick1, Dec 13, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I got extremely lucky that I found this; I love my beer geek friends and their ability to start a phone chain. Served on tap at Mad Mex in West Philadelphia.

Served in a snifter, it looked really nice. Golden, pale color with a thin, but frothy looking head. Lace surrounded the entire glass as it went down - absolutely gorgeous.

The smell was an orgy of hops. However, I don't know what hops they use other than a ton of 'em. As a hop head, I was excited as hell to finally have this in a glass in my hand. I've heard only good things of this IPA, my favorite style.

The taste was superb. This beer is EXTREMELY hoppy, which even blew my mind. If you're not a big hop person, I wouldn't waste your time with this. However, if you do, this is a punch in the face and I was freaking out at how good it was. I had heard this was one of the best IPAs; it deserved ALL of the hype it's been given.

The mouthfeel was very nice as well. Although it was on the thinner side, as I swooshed it around in my mouth, it actually became a bit creamy, which was surprising.

Although this is an IPA, I found it to be extremely drinkable. I only had two of them (yay for $3/glass) but I was hit hard by the ABV. Due to this, I found myself wanting to have a few more, especially at such dirt cheap, generous price. However, I controlled myself as it was only 7 PM.

Very complex beer and very mind blowing. This is definitely the best IPA I can remember having. Russian River: please start bringing this out to the east coast on a normal basis! Please, I'm begging you!

Finkel, Dec 12, 2008

Pliny the Elder, an especially great honor for my 300th review.

Pliny the Elder pours out beautiful transcending orange, with streams of refined carbonation, and a small frothy head.

The aroma is extremely fresh, and covered with that good ole West Coast IPA familiarity. Lots of Columbus, Centennials, and Warrior hops to provide a nice barrage of citrusy derivatives. Dank and resinous, almost leaving your nasals dripping with ripe hop oil. Lots of alpha acids, but also an extreme balance - overall a very intense aroma.

At first sip, I muttered "I'm in love". Yes I am, I thought to myself quietly.

The complexity of the hops is absolutely astounding. Incredible depth of intensely fresh bittering dry citric hops, fresh florals, and resinous pines and spiciness.

The citrus hits the palate first, clean florals surround, followed by resinous piney bitters. Grapefruit rinds, acidic orange peels. Deep aromatic florals with a flowery pepper spice profile. More pine and resinous sap with a biscuit malt coating. The pepper and spicy underlays blend perfectly with the citrus and pine notes. Creating such a refined, complex, yet balanced DIPA, that words almost can't describe.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, and just a phenomenal balance. The complexity of Pliny the Elder, is just absolutely mind blowing. This beer has lived up to the hype and surpassed. A West Coast masterpiece, heavenly and divine.

Pliny the Elder is a beast - and the most complex and intensly delicious DIPA in the world.

AMAZING!

HoustonTX, Dec 10, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours golden with light cloudy sediment that clears quickly. White head recedes quickly into large bubbles floating on top of the golden sea. There actually was some lacing submerged in the liquid - never seen that before! I love how the head dances around as you swirl the beer in the cup.

Smell: Wow! This has an INTENSE smell. I could smell some orange peel in the background but what really sticks out is the smell of weed. Only a day before I tried Pliny I actually tried a homebrew that I later found out was infused with marijuana. There is no doubt, Pliny has the exact same smell! I guess that's what fresh hops smell like... (or maybe its another secret ingredient).

Taste: Unlike the weed beer I tasted, this beer was excellent. Pine, big hops, grapefruit, malts. This has it all! There was still a slight hint of mary jane but that might have just been the smell that greeted me with every sip.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Very smooth and dry finish. Definitely just feels green and clean.

Drinkability: One is not enough! I need more more more! I can't wait to go back home and buy some more of this.

lynx1245, Dec 10, 2008
4.65/5  rDev 0%

1 of 2 bottles picked up in a badass trade with AndrewK.. HUGE Thanks!! Shared with Steven.. mine poured into my Chimay goblet. Bottled on 11/10/08... UberFresh!!

Nice 1" head.. eggshell white with alot of lace and stuck around forever.. brew is only slightly hop hazed golden straw.

Nose is wonderfully fruity hoppiness.. citrus.. pine.. pineapple.. you name it.. reminds me of Flintstone Vitamins my mom made me take as a kid..

Flavor is a huge fresh hop smack in the tongue.. not nearly as bitter as expected.. very balanced with an obvious battering ram toward the hop flavors.. minerally and fruity hops.. pine and grapefruit zest without a bit of pith.. finish is looong and fruity... I am not gonna lie and try to pick out all the supposed maltiness.. there is just enough maltiness and no real sweetness .. but the malts that are there are just enough to push forward an incredibly balanced brew... I love it.. I reallly love it. If I had access, there is no doubt.. I would stock up every shipment and this would be a fridge staple in the front of the pack... and Vinnie and crew would never ever have to worry about any bottles being "aged". Worthy of the hype... simply amazing.

Andrew.. again.. thanks for the great trade.. we MUST do it again.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Dec 08, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a wonderful orangish-yellow with a thick head which is retained for quite some time. Pillowy off-white head which leaves foamy rings as the beer is enjoyed.

The aroma is amazing - so much floral hops. Some fruit, but its dominated by the hop profile.

The flavor too is very hoppy and floral with just enough malt backbone which is in no way sweet... seems to be there just to balance. As the flavor dissipates, the bitterness catches up - it's there, but not dominant. There is citrus fruit on the palate as well it lasts all the way through. It makes the bitter end taste like grapefruit rind/pith. A very clean, balanced flavor.

The beer is well carbonated and very clean feeling. So much of the carbonation is used to build the head, but there is enough remaining.

This is an incredibly drinkable beer. It's quite enjoyable after a day's work in the yard, and it's perfect for an introspective evening of beer enjoyment. Right now, I'm enjoying it as a session beer during the Brown's game.

I'm lucky to have picked a case of this up while in the Bay area a few weeks ago. I'm keeping it cold and enjoying it this winter. It's a good enough beer to cut into my normal winter beer menu, which doesn't see tons of IPAs.

jpiper, Dec 07, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -10.1%

A - This one pours a darker color of gold with some orange highlights. The white head topped out at just under half inch and ends up a white / orange cap after a minute or two. Lacing remains very nice for the duration of the brew.

S - Hops are dominant and have both citric and pine qualities. Seems to lean a little more toward pine. Citrus is bitter like grapefruit. Some sweet sugary aromas round it out and I swear I got a hint of cookie dough. Alcohol is barely noticeable through the hops.

T - Citrus starts it out with hints of orange, grapefruit, and mango. Hints of pine sap and grass quickly follow the fruitiness. Some sweeter flavors linger briefly (hard candy and syrup) before giving way to a wall of bitterness and alcohol. That is pretty much it for the flavor. Good, but I was expecting more.

M - Medium bodied with a carbonation level that works well. Smooth overall with a long, dry, bitter finish.

D - This one is very easy to drink. The alcohol does not get in the way at all. Once the taste buds are destroyed by the bitterness it just starts drinking very smooth for the style. I would gladly have another one of these brews. Russian River has brewed a very nice beer in the Pliny the Elder. This is an easily recommemded beer.

csmiley, Dec 07, 2008