Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,997
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Shipped back from Denver during my trip. Poured from a 500ml bottle (bottled on date on label) into a pint glass. It was a hazy golden yellow color with a ton of yeast floaters. Almost no carbonation but great lacing. It had a finger of white head that slowly settled into a foam and collar.

The aroma was major league hops. Floral, citrus and quite a bit of pine. Didn't get the grapefruit that others mentioned. Fantastic aroma. You can tell this one going to be a tongue shredder. And it was. Amazing hop bite. Starts out slowly at first and then bam the hops hit the back and sides of the tongue. No mercy given. Great balance as it has the hop bomb hit but doesn't cross the line into overly hopped. Mouthfeel is great.

Overall, an excellent beer that I finally got to try. Well worth the hype and the high ranking. Highly, highly recommend. ADIPA is not an everyday style for me as they are aggressive hopped and kill the tongue for a bit but when I do want one I hope this is in the fridge. If avail here, I'd have several times a year.

TexIndy, Dec 19, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -8%

Had it on tap at Rosie & Joe's. Solid Imperial IPA. Pours a clear golden with a huge frothy white head that cannot be beaten back. Strong citrus aroma. First taste is massive hops, but then immediately dissipates. Finish is uncharacteristically dry. They compare it to Stone, so I will: this is a great Imperial IPA, but the Ruination has the edge.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a glass and the smell of hoppiness was instant. The color is a light orange/tan when light passes through (I usually prefer a slightly darker color for a double-IPA). The taste is amazing, hops are perfectly balanced and the malts are very present despite its lighter color. Its hard to tell if there is a dominant hop flavor (citrus, pine, melon...), but overall the hoppiness is very pleasant. The alcohol is not noticeable on the palate but after awhile the stomach begins to warm up. The beer has a good amount of carbonation. The drinkability is high if you are a hop-head otherwise it may be difficult to drink. Overall, this beer was very enjoyable and it is as good or possibly better then the numerous hoppy beers that flood the San Diego market.

derwestone, Dec 15, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

When poured, the color was a medium light hazy golden yellow with some foam and a load of lace on the side of the glass. The smell of flavorful hops, hops and more hops filled the nose with a pleasant soft aroma, of hops. The taste of the hops was very noticeable from mouth to palate. Probably the Best IPA I've drank ever. Some others were close, but not lick this one. No big bite, or over bitterness or sour tasting. Just a soft pleasant taste of hops, with hints of some candied citrus.

BeerManDan, Dec 13, 2008
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Had on tap at Beachwood BBQ. Pours a wonderful burnt orange. Smells of strong citrus, grapefruit and hoppy goodness. Tastes like it smells, but better. Nice oily finish that coats your mouth with flavor that lasts a while. The most drinkable double IPA I've had to date.
Enjoy this if you can spot it.

BevMoPatrick1, Dec 13, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I got extremely lucky that I found this; I love my beer geek friends and their ability to start a phone chain. Served on tap at Mad Mex in West Philadelphia.

Served in a snifter, it looked really nice. Golden, pale color with a thin, but frothy looking head. Lace surrounded the entire glass as it went down - absolutely gorgeous.

The smell was an orgy of hops. However, I don't know what hops they use other than a ton of 'em. As a hop head, I was excited as hell to finally have this in a glass in my hand. I've heard only good things of this IPA, my favorite style.

The taste was superb. This beer is EXTREMELY hoppy, which even blew my mind. If you're not a big hop person, I wouldn't waste your time with this. However, if you do, this is a punch in the face and I was freaking out at how good it was. I had heard this was one of the best IPAs; it deserved ALL of the hype it's been given.

The mouthfeel was very nice as well. Although it was on the thinner side, as I swooshed it around in my mouth, it actually became a bit creamy, which was surprising.

Although this is an IPA, I found it to be extremely drinkable. I only had two of them (yay for $3/glass) but I was hit hard by the ABV. Due to this, I found myself wanting to have a few more, especially at such dirt cheap, generous price. However, I controlled myself as it was only 7 PM.

Very complex beer and very mind blowing. This is definitely the best IPA I can remember having. Russian River: please start bringing this out to the east coast on a normal basis! Please, I'm begging you!

Finkel, Dec 12, 2008

Pliny the Elder, an especially great honor for my 300th review.

Pliny the Elder pours out beautiful transcending orange, with streams of refined carbonation, and a small frothy head.

The aroma is extremely fresh, and covered with that good ole West Coast IPA familiarity. Lots of Columbus, Centennials, and Warrior hops to provide a nice barrage of citrusy derivatives. Dank and resinous, almost leaving your nasals dripping with ripe hop oil. Lots of alpha acids, but also an extreme balance - overall a very intense aroma.

At first sip, I muttered "I'm in love". Yes I am, I thought to myself quietly.

The complexity of the hops is absolutely astounding. Incredible depth of intensely fresh bittering dry citric hops, fresh florals, and resinous pines and spiciness.

The citrus hits the palate first, clean florals surround, followed by resinous piney bitters. Grapefruit rinds, acidic orange peels. Deep aromatic florals with a flowery pepper spice profile. More pine and resinous sap with a biscuit malt coating. The pepper and spicy underlays blend perfectly with the citrus and pine notes. Creating such a refined, complex, yet balanced DIPA, that words almost can't describe.

Silky smooth mouthfeel, and just a phenomenal balance. The complexity of Pliny the Elder, is just absolutely mind blowing. This beer has lived up to the hype and surpassed. A West Coast masterpiece, heavenly and divine.

Pliny the Elder is a beast - and the most complex and intensly delicious DIPA in the world.

AMAZING!

HoustonTX, Dec 10, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Appearance: Pours golden with light cloudy sediment that clears quickly. White head recedes quickly into large bubbles floating on top of the golden sea. There actually was some lacing submerged in the liquid - never seen that before! I love how the head dances around as you swirl the beer in the cup.

Smell: Wow! This has an INTENSE smell. I could smell some orange peel in the background but what really sticks out is the smell of weed. Only a day before I tried Pliny I actually tried a homebrew that I later found out was infused with marijuana. There is no doubt, Pliny has the exact same smell! I guess that's what fresh hops smell like... (or maybe its another secret ingredient).

Taste: Unlike the weed beer I tasted, this beer was excellent. Pine, big hops, grapefruit, malts. This has it all! There was still a slight hint of mary jane but that might have just been the smell that greeted me with every sip.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Very smooth and dry finish. Definitely just feels green and clean.

Drinkability: One is not enough! I need more more more! I can't wait to go back home and buy some more of this.

lynx1245, Dec 10, 2008
4.65/5  rDev 0%

1 of 2 bottles picked up in a badass trade with AndrewK.. HUGE Thanks!! Shared with Steven.. mine poured into my Chimay goblet. Bottled on 11/10/08... UberFresh!!

Nice 1" head.. eggshell white with alot of lace and stuck around forever.. brew is only slightly hop hazed golden straw.

Nose is wonderfully fruity hoppiness.. citrus.. pine.. pineapple.. you name it.. reminds me of Flintstone Vitamins my mom made me take as a kid..

Flavor is a huge fresh hop smack in the tongue.. not nearly as bitter as expected.. very balanced with an obvious battering ram toward the hop flavors.. minerally and fruity hops.. pine and grapefruit zest without a bit of pith.. finish is looong and fruity... I am not gonna lie and try to pick out all the supposed maltiness.. there is just enough maltiness and no real sweetness .. but the malts that are there are just enough to push forward an incredibly balanced brew... I love it.. I reallly love it. If I had access, there is no doubt.. I would stock up every shipment and this would be a fridge staple in the front of the pack... and Vinnie and crew would never ever have to worry about any bottles being "aged". Worthy of the hype... simply amazing.

Andrew.. again.. thanks for the great trade.. we MUST do it again.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Dec 08, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a wonderful orangish-yellow with a thick head which is retained for quite some time. Pillowy off-white head which leaves foamy rings as the beer is enjoyed.

The aroma is amazing - so much floral hops. Some fruit, but its dominated by the hop profile.

The flavor too is very hoppy and floral with just enough malt backbone which is in no way sweet... seems to be there just to balance. As the flavor dissipates, the bitterness catches up - it's there, but not dominant. There is citrus fruit on the palate as well it lasts all the way through. It makes the bitter end taste like grapefruit rind/pith. A very clean, balanced flavor.

The beer is well carbonated and very clean feeling. So much of the carbonation is used to build the head, but there is enough remaining.

This is an incredibly drinkable beer. It's quite enjoyable after a day's work in the yard, and it's perfect for an introspective evening of beer enjoyment. Right now, I'm enjoying it as a session beer during the Brown's game.

I'm lucky to have picked a case of this up while in the Bay area a few weeks ago. I'm keeping it cold and enjoying it this winter. It's a good enough beer to cut into my normal winter beer menu, which doesn't see tons of IPAs.

jpiper, Dec 07, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -10.1%

A - This one pours a darker color of gold with some orange highlights. The white head topped out at just under half inch and ends up a white / orange cap after a minute or two. Lacing remains very nice for the duration of the brew.

S - Hops are dominant and have both citric and pine qualities. Seems to lean a little more toward pine. Citrus is bitter like grapefruit. Some sweet sugary aromas round it out and I swear I got a hint of cookie dough. Alcohol is barely noticeable through the hops.

T - Citrus starts it out with hints of orange, grapefruit, and mango. Hints of pine sap and grass quickly follow the fruitiness. Some sweeter flavors linger briefly (hard candy and syrup) before giving way to a wall of bitterness and alcohol. That is pretty much it for the flavor. Good, but I was expecting more.

M - Medium bodied with a carbonation level that works well. Smooth overall with a long, dry, bitter finish.

D - This one is very easy to drink. The alcohol does not get in the way at all. Once the taste buds are destroyed by the bitterness it just starts drinking very smooth for the style. I would gladly have another one of these brews. Russian River has brewed a very nice beer in the Pliny the Elder. This is an easily recommemded beer.

csmiley, Dec 07, 2008
4.65/5  rDev 0%

So... here we go with the Lafite Rothschild of the DIPA style (according the fanfare surrounding this beer). Purchased 2 bottles from Hi Time in OC. Both were bottled on 10/2/08 making each 64 days old when consumed. The bottles not only contain a freshness date but also encouragemnet to drink the beer before it turns: "respect your elder: keep cold, drink fresh, do not age! Pliny the Elder is a historical figure, don't make the beer inside this bottle one!" and so on...

Opened the first bottle and I suspect that something went awry with this particular bottle during the bottling process because not only did I not get any "pffft" sound upon application of my trustworthy opening device, but absolutely no head either (on a rather strong pour). This circumstance did not deter me though... & all I can say is WOW!! this beer, even though apparently succumbing to some oxidation, still smells... wonderful! Unbelievable! I was expecting the worst and Pliny delivered an explosion of hoppy, citrusy, piney goodness! Mindjarring! in a "bad" bottle... really?

The wonderful flavor is an extension of what the nose had originally suggested... I'm not quite sure what kind of hops the brewer used here as I'm not well versed on that sort of thing, but it seems to be a superior quality of hops, or perhaps, just a superior brewing method than most other craft brewers are offering. Grapefruit, citrus... bitter and sweet in perfect combination.

The second bottle was opened with a familiar sound and it seems to have not suffered the same fate as the first. The pour contains a wonderful head that perfumes my senses immediately, from a distance, with the same wonderful smell that the first bottle had provided only at close range except a bit more pine. The taste is the same barage of hop wizardry. I think I'm in love. masterful... even though I lowered the score for the appearance and mouthfeel of the first bottle.

beerhappy, Dec 04, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

GLASS: Over-sized Wine Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
Fresh Vintage (11/04/08 Bottling Date)
Thanks to RodBurg for this one!

Nice, clear, golden honey color. Small one-finger head of white foam. Minimal retention. Decent lacing, slightly better then minimal.

Okay, I've not detected hops 'evil' cousin in the nose of a beer before, but this one is it. This smells like some mighty fine weed! If I thought that I could dry this out and smoke it, I'd try to. Very 'green' and earthy smelling. Pine resin and grapefruit, with a hint of citrus, mostly orange. Nice floral presence. This has got to be one of the best/nicest smelling DIPA/IIPA's that I've ever had.

Wow, the taste is much smoother than expected. Based on the hype and the nose, I expected to pucker-up with this one. Not the case, at all. Very nice citrus/floral balance, here.
Sure, there are a ton of hops in this. There is also a nice balance provided by a nice bed of dry malt flavor.
A good grapefruit showing mixed with tangerine sweetness and the zest of pine needles. A good counter balance of caramel malt sweetness. Excellent balance. No bitterness, no over-the-top sweetness.

Very nice. Truly a crisp, clean brew. Light and refreshing. Just slightly too thin for me to rate it a 'perfect' 5.0, though. 4.5 is pretty close.

I could drink this by the barrel-full. Although, I'd probably choose something that was bigger, thicker, and maltier. That's the only reason it misses the 5.0 rating on drinkability. Just personal preference.
Overall, I must say that I am impressed. This one truly lives up to the hype.

coldmeat23, Dec 04, 2008

This is like a religious experience. It's one of those beers that you drink and you get thrown back in your chair in awe and say "Holy shit!" because you didn't know you could still be impressed this much by a beer. It only happens every-so-often, and it is no doubt what I equate into a "leveling-up" in your beer enlightenment...the way you just thought about beer just changed (hopefully again), and it hit you HARD! I live for moments like these with beer.

On to the review...

Pours an golden color with immaculate clarity. The head is full, thick, white, and absolutely beautiful. The retention is incredible and it leaves awesome and plentiful lace. The aroma is phenomenal; it's super hoppy (obviously), but it's like no other hop aroma you have experienced. A tad but of resin, some pine, some outdoors. Nothing hidden and perfectly balanced. As for the taste...where do I begin. The only way I can describe the taste is that it is the most perfectly balanced DIPA (or even IPA) I have ever had. I'm in awe in the of the hop utilization in this beer: the best I've experienced...I don't know how they did it...simply awesome. The mouthfeel is ridiculously awesome. To say I could drink this all day long is a gross understatement.

Do whatever it takes to get your hands on a bottle.

For your own good, if you are going to trade for it, get it from someone who can get it close by to the source so they can send you a fresh bottle. It would be a shame to not drink this as fresh as possible. Can't wait to move to the Bay Area.

Douglas14, Dec 03, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Half liter bottle dated 2-25-08.

Pours firm, nicely unfiltered and hazy with a big, soapy white head. Very nice pour for a Double IPA.

Smells very nicely hoppy even 9 months after its bottling date. Huge hop complexity, no off nodes, no sense of it being excessive for the sake of being excessive, nice sweet malt backbone. Wonderful palette, wonderful balance.

Tastes nearly as good as it smells. Starts off with a strong balance between the bittersweet, dry malt and the citrusy, piney hop profile. Malt is pleasantly buttery, not like diacetyl, more like a Ritz cracker. Really nice, and it's its unique malt profile--not, surprisingly, an especially complex hop profile--that makes it so tasty.

Very big, bitter hopGoes down remarkably smooth, considering all the hops and alcohol.

mynie, Dec 03, 2008

I received bottles from 2 different trades w/ JamesCrames and Bbothen and was blown away. This is one of the few beers to truly live up to all of the hype. The appearence is a light golden yellow with a very nice thin lacing. The aroama hits you as soon as you open a bottle. Citrus hops can be smelled from a few feet away. The first sip is truly amazing. With so much hop aroama you would think the beer would be way to bitter. It is the total opposite. This beer is extremely balanced with just the right amount of bitterness. Overall I think this is one of the best beers I have ever had the chance to drink and would recommend it to anyone even people who wouldnt consider themselves hopheads.

dondeez21, Dec 02, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -14.4%

It poured a light gold color with a slight tint of red. It was not the color of IPAs and other typically hoppy beers. The head was not especially thick and was characterized by big bubbles. Despite the thin head it was very active in the glass and it retained its head nicely. It had great lacing.

It smelled exactly how I imagined. Hops, flowers grapefruit, pine.

Nice and bitter taste. Floral notes and piny bitterness.

This is no session beer but it is relatively drinkable. It is surprisingly light on the palate and it was legitimately fun to drink.

A pleasurable beer but I must say; What is all the fuss about? It is just one one many hoppy, fun beers.

JeffV, Dec 02, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

I've had this many times, from a bottle, growler, and on tap.

Pliny pours a golden amber color, with the richest looking head I remember seeing. Very creamy and robust, that is. Not thin or quick to dissipate. Lacing all the way down the pint glass.

The smell is heavenly, what I imagine pure hop extract would smell like. Citrusy, very floral, but not stinging. Even my dad who doesn't drink though it smelled good.

The taste is of course also phenomenal. Along with all the typical hop characteristics of resiny pineyness, citrus, and flowers, I notice for lack of a better word, a very rounded taste, almost reminiscent of cantaloupe or honeydew melon. Despite being so heavily hopped, it is not bitter at all. There is no acrid taste here, and no malty sweetness, pure unbridled hops.

The mouthfeel is nice. It is very luscious and rich. This is where the creamy head comes from. It coats the palate in the most velvety way, and has just the right amount of carbonation to round it out.

Drinkability is pretty good. This is my favorite D/IPA. Period. I must say though that I would never want more than a pint at once. This is a great pleasure to drink but it is no session beer.

When I first went to Russian River, I wanted to try a barrel aged beer or The Younger, but there were none of those to be found. A local said "Get the Elder, you won't be disappointed!" Well there began my love affair with Pliny the Elder, hands down my favorite hoppy beer I have tried.

MrFootstones, Dec 01, 2008

500 ml bottle from La Bodega in Riverside, CA., $5.99 a bottle (I think).

Let me say this one is not getting my standard review of the 5 elements of a BA beer review. It's too good for that.

This is just one of a few classic, exceptional, first rate beers of the world. I think this is the archetypal American Double (or Imperial) IPA, period. Lots of hops with a great perfumy citrus nose (grapefruit and sweet orange) while refusing to be overpowering, great body without being too big, flavor in every direction without being confusing, and huge drinkability even for its appreciable alcohol content. This is one of my top 5 of all time.

I know it now comes from northern California, but this style started in Riverside County, and for that we shoud all be grateful. Cheers to a great beer.

Dukeofearl, Dec 01, 2008
4.08/5  rDev -12.3%

3 servings now--3 different meals. Pliny: You nail it on the nose. I've been on a mission to taste as many IPA's as possible to find out what it is about you that everyone loves so much. Are you a good DIPA? sure
Are you better than most? absolutely
Are you the best of the best? No.

You appear as most west coast IPA's. Crisp amber. Thin head. Faint lacing in the glass.
Its the nose, my friend, the nose. A wash of amazing citrus and floral hops. I'm sitting in a grassy field with cute fuzzy animals dancing around me. Your aromoa is fresh and bright. I can smell you in my sleep.
If only...your taste is typical of a west coast brew. A burst of fresh citrus and pine followed by a lingering astringency that makes me want 3 glasses of water. An hour later and I can still feel the subtle puck in in back of my throat.
What makes you different? A very refreshing burst of hops that is mellowed only so slightly by a quiet malt body. No buscuit. No bread. No syrupy sweet. But there, in the finish. There it is. The alcohol. Boom! It warms my throat and will not leave. Yes, Pliny. I can taste your alcohol.
Is your flavor unique? No. No my friend. You are not so special that nothing else compares. You are great. But there are others.
In my mouth a subtle balance. Crisp carbonation? yes. Too much? No. A lingering bitterness and alcohol warmth are your downfall. More than an hour now and you linger. Like a date that needs to end. I do not want another.
Pliny: You nail it on the nose. Few, maybe only one, can exceed the magical aroma. Everything else? Smell is the strongest sense tied to memory. Enough said.

LunaChick, Nov 30, 2008
3.98/5  rDev -14.4%

pours a semi-clear golden yellow with a small off-white head, very nice lacing.

smell is earthy, hops, caramel, some citrus, and a little pine.

taste is crisp yet smooth, thick on the tongue, hop flavor grows as you drink, caramel, grapefruit, dandelion, and some woodiness, ends nicely bitter.

froghop, Nov 30, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -8%

I had this at a friends place, lets just say I was a little excited to try it. The nose on this beer was very sweet and hinted with hops and wheat notes. It is obvious both in taste and smell that hops are the main flavoring but there's a complexity to the hops that you don't find in many IPAs. The tast is very hoppy but mostly sweet and citrus flavors integrated. It has some bittering notes but just during the swallow, not at the end where IPAs usually get bitter. The mouthfeel is smooth and refreshing. Easily one of the best Double IPAs I've had, I highly recommend it.

chaz410, Nov 30, 2008
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

tryed this one because the menu promised it "is easily the best double IPA in the world"

it poured a wonderful yellow with a white head that hung out for the whole glass

it smells like fresh hops, citrus and some grapefruit

it tastes just like a good crisp west coast IPA

no frills just a textbook example of what this style of beer should be

the only draw back is the abv is a little high for it to be a session beer
I really could drink this one all day

gdfan47, Nov 29, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -10.1%

drank on 11.28 at home with bro in law Jason.

such a good looking beer. pours a clear light copper, great head, but the head dissipated somewhat quickly. the smell was a buttery and creamy hop smell, very inviting and fresh. citrus in the nose, but mild (and wonderful). pine scent is crazy wonderful combined with the other smells.

the taste is phenomenal. a great buttery, smooth and creamy taste. the hops are so obvious, yet doesn't overwhelm, which makes this a great beer. great balanced flavor, smooth. there is a nice malt backbone, but subtle which combines well with the great hop-tastic flavor.

this is one of the finest hoppy beers. highly recommend.

Hophead101, Nov 28, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

This is it, my first review, and i picked a hell of a beer to start with...

poured from a 500ml (dig the metric from a CA brewery) bottle into a pint glass, freshness date on bottle with repeated, and humorous, reminders to drink this beer fresh!!

rather light in color, this beer pours well. nice fluffy head, great lacing. great appearance overall.

smell is as expected, incredible hop aromas, citrus up the wazoo, supported on a hint of malt.

for all you hop-heads out there, this is a must. beautiful hop bitterness and flavor, but proportioned well with the malt. The taste of this beer is what should be expected of any great IPA. As mentioned in countless reviews, this is a very well balanced beer.

mouthfeel is good, creamy, slightly wet on the palate. very nice.

deadly drinkable, cant set this one down. i love IPA's, and this one is pure heaven.

well, there you have it. one bottle of pliny the elder down, and one review in the can. next i'm going to make a black and tan with the remaining bottle of pliny and an Old Rasputin i had laying around. wish me luck.

Llewellyn9, Nov 28, 2008