Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 6,343
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Ratings: 12,519 | Reviews: 3,522
4.71/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Wow! I never realized what I was missing

4.91/5  rDev +5.4%

Simply one of the best IPAs and beers in the world. Truly embodies what an IPA should be. To maximize its full potential, you simply have to taste it fresh and don't sit on it.

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.7 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 19/20
mike67 (900) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 16, 2015
500 ml bottle. Pours orange with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy, herbal hops dominate the flavor while bready and caramel malt and tropical fruit provide some balance. Finish is long, massive, very bitter, grapefruity. Amazing brew.

4.81/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on some Pliny The Elder!! Found 4 pints, shipped one to my brother and kept the rest. This one definitely lived up to the hype for me. Was by far the smoothest IPA I've tasted, it had a great citrusy wonderful aroma. I will be keeping tabs on the delivery schedule for this stuff in the future.

4.13/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With all the hype, I was expecting more. It is a great, balanced DIPA, but I'm not experiencing much depth. In the Pliny Heady battle, Heady comes out on top.

Before I had my first class I was so prepared to be disappointed by this beer, but it lives up to the hype in every conceivable way.

The beer Jesus drinks when he isn't banishing people from heaven.

4.35/5  rDev -6.7%

This beer tasted so fresh, felt like I was drinking herbs. Loved it.

2.13/5  rDev -54.3%

Over rated not as big as the hype that was behind it. I love ipa but this wasn't that impressive

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I mean just delicious beer.

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

I am a spoiled IPA nut and this tops all

4.68/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was exceptional, three weeks in the bottle. Well sought out, highly hyped up, and lived up to every last praise. Picked up a couple of 510s at BDBS in Gaslamp (they were in the back), and immediately cracked a cold one back at the hotel. The only thing that may have improved this is my Spiegelau! Beautiful orange/amber color with a finger of white head. Huge West Coast IIPA nose full of citrus (orange, lemon) and strong pine. Similar notes to taste, yet exceptionally pronounced. Opened up greatly as the brew was slowly sipped and savored. Clean, dry finish. The benchmark for the IIPA style for me moving forward.

4.63/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appears a clear amber color. Cleaner than most I've had. Thick white head with lasting retention.

Smells like citrus, mostly orange peel to me. Some pine.

Taste is similar, tart, orange peel, with a pine finish. Great clean lingering pine finish.

Medium to medium low carbonation from the bottle. Had a couple pints at the source that seemed more carbonated. I preferred those. The slightly higher carbonation of the draft beer made the great hops flavor linger longer on the tongue.

Overall, for once, a beer mostly lived up to the hype. The best example of a west coast style IIPA I've ever had. Or any IIPA for that matter. One I will judge others off of. Now I just need an excuse to visit Santa Rosa again. The sooner the better!

4.9/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

This beer doesn't need a review, or a salesman...She makes the world class vinters of the region GREEN with envy. Legendary suds!!!!

The perfect beer. Tastes floral and citrusy.

Great fucken beer,I get this regular at Ramirez liquor east LA...
only one per customer(but I get two cuz I got it like that lol)will trade for some heady topper

4.66/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

One of my white whales! Not enough superlatives to rate this great brew. Order, sip and savor. One for the ages.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

Even old... this was an incredible beer. I can't wait to have it fresh fresh fresh.

4.15/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

May 30, 2015

510 ml bottle, IPA glass

A – Light amber with an orange hue, very clear. Over an inch of mostly white foam, thick, mildly craggy, with very long retention.

S – Grapefruit, pine, resin, some woodiness and mint as well. Light crackery malt. A bit of lemon-lime.

T – A lot of hops, pine, woodsy, and low grapefruit. Intensely bitter, a significant hop snap comes in very quickly. A bit of orangey, lemon-lime zest. Grainy-malt sweetness, light bread crust, a touch of honey-like sweetness.

M – Moderate-low carbonation, medium-full in body. Definitely sweet up front but massive hop bite comes in very quickly and resonates throughout the drink.

O – A very well made beer, clearly the intent to create a tongue-lashingly bitter hop bomb was executed. That said, a bit unbalanced for my taste.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The fresher the better! Great smell and amazing taste. Very hoppy but it is always smooth and balanced. This has become my regular everyday beer. It's one of my top three favorite IPA's.

4.72/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It's a really good IPA, but does it really live up to the hype? It's damn good, but not quite the best IPA I've ever had...

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

Wow! Well balanced through out the whole experience! Lived up to the hype. This is the second time I had it and I've had many ipas n dipas and tipas in between.. Still taste exceptionally great! Had the privilege to taste a heady topper last night with my bro who has a hook up from Vermont, and.... Both are definitely world class but I give the edge to Pliny, thanks to stone brewery for bringing Pliny down here to the Mecca.

Balanced perfection provides a phenomenal sensory experience that's hard to replicate especially at 8%.

Went to the brewery/bar in Santa Rosa on way to Napa/Sonoma. Glad I made the side trip. They really know what they're doing. Place was packed on a random Wednesday. Pliny is one phenomenal IPA, possibly best I've ever had, definitely in top 3. Lots of pine and grapefruit but also incredibly well balanced for a double and the 8% is almost unnoticeable.

4.95/5  rDev +6.2%

The clouds parted and light came down from the heavens above.....

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company