Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 6,403
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,350 | Hads: 12,634
4.46/5  rDev -2.8%

Incredibly, deceptively smooth. The mouthfeel is amazing! Glides down like a river of sweet hoppy deliciousness. The nose is sweet floral with a hint of dandelion and/or lavender. Alcohol is hardly perceptible, but makes itself known. This beer is truly worthy of it's fame! (274 characters)

Aromatic, smooth which is rare for an ipa. Most of my friends hate iPa's but they will drink this over and over again. This is the best beer in the world (153 characters)

4.99/5  rDev +8.7%

Beer is an attractive amber/copper with a thick white head. Very nice lacing. Aroma is dank and bready, with notes of orange rind, pineapple, and fir. Taste is fantastic and follows the nose. Some bready malt in the background and a huge, complex, balanced dose of hops: a dry, bitter finish with notes of orange, fir, and tropical fruits. Mouthfeel is great. Nicely carbonated, a bit of warming from the 8% alcohol. Overall, a fantastic double IPA. Smooth, balanced, and drinkable, but incredibly complex and subtle. (525 characters)

I liked pliney. I had some at the bar in santa rosa when i was in cali visiting. I bought a case to bring back to the house we were staying at. Blind pig was also very good. And they had another beer called Aud Blonde Ale that was really great. I will say though, i docked a couple points for two reasons. I dont think pliny is by far and away better than heady, larsons sip, or even sixpoint resin. Possibly my east coast taste buds prefer those brews. Also, there was a complete shitbag of a bartender working at the bar at RR. The other 3 or so bartenders were really cool and didnt have an ego stick shoved up their ass. This guy put a bit of a damper on my experience. He had an issue with me because i was a tourist, but he shut up after we engaged in great conversations with other attendees at the bar. Anyway, pliny is fucking good and they make some really good beers at RR. The food is excellent too.
Sorry for the rant (934 characters)

4.55/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

really enjoyed the awesome balance...more than anything

the taste didn't smack me as anything awe-inspiring/off the charts (what beer ever lives the hype)----but beautifully balanced and very tasty

creamy feature was unexpected, but most enjoyable

overall...a extremely well done brew (287 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Very floral smell and taste notes that round out a very hop forward beer. The taste and feel in your mouth is so well balanced that the heavy ABV is barely noticeable. (167 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -2%

All hail the Pliny! Spoiled that I have easy access to this beer. It's a great one. I always pick it up when available. Russian River is special because you can tell that they really try their hardest to focus on perfecting their product. Creamy mouthfeel, sharp and intricate hop flavor, great body, and delicious all around finish. Pretty hard to beat! (360 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

HUGE thanks to aViewFromTheHOP for this one! 500ml bottle into a teku.

Appearance: Pours a gorgeous golden color. The head is three fingers high, and vaguely off-white in shade. Retention is fantastic, while the rocky head leaves behind thick webs of lacing on the glass. This one looks absolutely killer. (4.5)

Smell: This is a fairly typical DIPA aroma, all told. I can see where so many beers in the style got their influence from. Piny, grassy notes seem to dominate, though I do pick up hints of grapefruit. The malt backbone is wonderfully neutral - it brings touches of cracker and white bread, and that's about it. I admit gravitating more to the new school of DIPAs. But still, I'm not exactly disappointed by the nose by any stretch. (4)

Taste: At first, I get gentle hints of spruce, grass, and flowers. The more I drink, the more floral the flavor becomes. Malt appears past the midtaste (a bit more than the nose suggested), with some caramel, white bread, and sugar cookie flavors. Maybe even touches of earth, wood, and toffee. I could say that nothing about this brew really stands out...but I won't. No, every flavor here seems to pop with a bit more definition than MANY other DIPAs out there - and that's saying something considering how this is far more complex than the typical DIPA. (4.25)

Mouthfeel: This is amazingly crisp, and DRY (when I say dry, I mean frickin' dry). Some malt sweetness and heft does appear, but it's a feature that is less annoying than many others in the style. I could drink this one all day, that's for sure. I don't really notice the carbonation one way or the other - translation, it's doing its job perfectly. (4.75)

Overall: I knew this wouldn't be some super innovative, new school DIPA loaded with Galaxy hops. Nope, this is to DIPAs what Black Sabbath's self-titled album was to heavy metal. Even now, this has the finesse and sophistication that many in the style wished they had a tenth of. The first sip didn't bowl me over, and then I kept drinking it...and drinking it...and drinking it. Around the halfway mark, it dawned on me: "this is a fantastic DIPA". This isn't something you sample 3-4 oz of, this is something you down pint after pint of at the Toronado in SF, all while Dark Angel is blaring in the background (screaming match with surly bartender optional). (4.5)

4.31/5: Should be considered the quintessential west coast DIPA, even with all the pretenders flooding the market (2,455 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Hum, I may have missed something here. Bottled 6/10, ok 2 1/2 weeks old... good, but not great. Got a smokiness from it. Do they smoke any of the malts on the grain bill? (173 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From bottle poured into Stella Artois chalice. Strong floral and hops smell, smooth yet bitter mouth feel. Taste of bitter hops, but not too bitter. This is an excellent IPA, it's exactly what an IPA should look, smell, and taste like. One of the best. (252 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Was a very good Imperial IPA overall. I think there are better ones out there for sure, but it was still a delicious beer. A bit more malty than expected, but had a nice pine flavor profile from the hops that worked nicely. The bottle I had was 2.5 weeks old, so I don't think I will get much fresher in Ohio! (309 characters)

4.58/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle dated 5/15 so a tad over a month old. I've been waiting for this.

A- Creamy white head disappeared into a thin whisky head with nice lacing. Pours a hazy yellow.

S- Grass, pine, orange peel, nice floral notes

T- really delicious. A lot of grass and pine with some citrus notes as well. Much more balanced than I expected. Really pleasant hop flavors without a big punch to the mouth. The finish is fairly clean, some hop character lingers.

M- medium body, creamy, perfect carbonation.

O- worth its reputation. Not a super hop bomb, but a more balanced DIPA. Really nice fresh floral grass and Pune notes and a perfect mouthfeel. Very happy I was able to try this. (676 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +6.5%

I have three IPAs in my best ever, buy it and drink immediately category: Pliny, Enjoy By, and Yellow Rose.

The Pliny pours golden yellow. The smell is light citrus and hop, the taste as it smells. It is hard to have an idea of how good this beer is with such a simple description other than it is just the right bit of everything. (333 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +7%

Simply one of the best IPAs and beers in the world. Truly embodies what an IPA should be. To maximize its full potential, you simply have to taste it fresh and don't sit on it. (177 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.7 AROMA 9/10 APPEARANCE 5/5 TASTE 9/10 PALATE 5/5 OVERALL 19/20
mike67 (900) - , New Jersey, USA - JUN 16, 2015
500 ml bottle. Pours orange with tall, long lasting, fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy, herbal hops dominate the flavor while bready and caramel malt and tropical fruit provide some balance. Finish is long, massive, very bitter, grapefruity. Amazing brew. (470 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Finally got my hands on some Pliny The Elder!! Found 4 pints, shipped one to my brother and kept the rest. This one definitely lived up to the hype for me. Was by far the smoothest IPA I've tasted, it had a great citrusy wonderful aroma. I will be keeping tabs on the delivery schedule for this stuff in the future. (319 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

With all the hype, I was expecting more. It is a great, balanced DIPA, but I'm not experiencing much depth. In the Pliny Heady battle, Heady comes out on top. (159 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This was exceptional, three weeks in the bottle. Well sought out, highly hyped up, and lived up to every last praise. Picked up a couple of 510s at BDBS in Gaslamp (they were in the back), and immediately cracked a cold one back at the hotel. The only thing that may have improved this is my Spiegelau! Beautiful orange/amber color with a finger of white head. Huge West Coast IIPA nose full of citrus (orange, lemon) and strong pine. Similar notes to taste, yet exceptionally pronounced. Opened up greatly as the brew was slowly sipped and savored. Clean, dry finish. The benchmark for the IIPA style for me moving forward. (624 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Appears a clear amber color. Cleaner than most I've had. Thick white head with lasting retention.

Smells like citrus, mostly orange peel to me. Some pine.

Taste is similar, tart, orange peel, with a pine finish. Great clean lingering pine finish.

Medium to medium low carbonation from the bottle. Had a couple pints at the source that seemed more carbonated. I preferred those. The slightly higher carbonation of the draft beer made the great hops flavor linger longer on the tongue.

Overall, for once, a beer mostly lived up to the hype. The best example of a west coast style IIPA I've ever had. Or any IIPA for that matter. One I will judge others off of. Now I just need an excuse to visit Santa Rosa again. The sooner the better! (741 characters)

Great fucken beer,I get this regular at Ramirez liquor east LA...
only one per customer(but I get two cuz I got it like that lol)will trade for some heady topper (162 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

May 30, 2015

510 ml bottle, IPA glass

A – Light amber with an orange hue, very clear. Over an inch of mostly white foam, thick, mildly craggy, with very long retention.

S – Grapefruit, pine, resin, some woodiness and mint as well. Light crackery malt. A bit of lemon-lime.

T – A lot of hops, pine, woodsy, and low grapefruit. Intensely bitter, a significant hop snap comes in very quickly. A bit of orangey, lemon-lime zest. Grainy-malt sweetness, light bread crust, a touch of honey-like sweetness.

M – Moderate-low carbonation, medium-full in body. Definitely sweet up front but massive hop bite comes in very quickly and resonates throughout the drink.

O – A very well made beer, clearly the intent to create a tongue-lashingly bitter hop bomb was executed. That said, a bit unbalanced for my taste. (829 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The fresher the better! Great smell and amazing taste. Very hoppy but it is always smooth and balanced. This has become my regular everyday beer. It's one of my top three favorite IPA's. (186 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +5.2%

Wow! Well balanced through out the whole experience! Lived up to the hype. This is the second time I had it and I've had many ipas n dipas and tipas in between.. Still taste exceptionally great! Had the privilege to taste a heady topper last night with my bro who has a hook up from Vermont, and.... Both are definitely world class but I give the edge to Pliny, thanks to stone brewery for bringing Pliny down here to the Mecca. (430 characters)

Went to the brewery/bar in Santa Rosa on way to Napa/Sonoma. Glad I made the side trip. They really know what they're doing. Place was packed on a random Wednesday. Pliny is one phenomenal IPA, possibly best I've ever had, definitely in top 3. Lots of pine and grapefruit but also incredibly well balanced for a double and the 8% is almost unnoticeable. (353 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Hop aroma. Thick head. Wow first time I've had this. Nice balance for a hoppy beer. I like it. I'm told this a highly sought after beer. I can see why it's liked. (162 characters)

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company