Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Reviews: 3,555 | Ratings: 13,635
4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at a bar. Had good hoppy bitterness that fades smooth. Good citrus smell. Pine, bit of booze but not overpowering. Great mouthfeel. Overall a great beer. Compares with heady topper and some of the tree house beers out east.

4.2/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Not a West Coast IPA fan but this is the pinnacle of that particular style.

Looks are a 5. Clear, beautiful pale golden malt.
Smell is my only complaint. Beyond the Douglas fir and grapefruit pith, I can smell that 8%. Not cool.
Taste is subjective. Like I said, this is the pinnacle of its style. I just happen to not care for it.
The feel is a winner. Carbonation and body are on point.

Out of a 510ml bottle into Riedel Burgundy glass. Bottle stamped 2/12/16.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Outstanding beer! One of those beers where each sip is high quality, from the smell at the beginning to the hop and malt in the middle to the complex flavors at the finish.

4.13/5  rDev -10.2%

On tap and out of the bottle. Well balanced with no overpowering bitterness and some piney flavor. Blind Pig hits the spot better and has more hop flavor. There are better dipas out there.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into pilsner glass, nice 3 finger tanish cream head, outstanding lacing. Clear golden look withe the head that last. Smells like a big citrus bomb and the taste delivers. Nice residual sweetness at the end. Only beer on my radar for my Napa trip.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Had an opportunity to get 3 of these bottles via a trade. I am not an IPA first and foremost but if you were to give me an unlabeled bottle of Pliny, I would tell you without a doubt that is one of the best IPAs that I have ever had. Bottled on 2/19/2016 this brew almost resembled liquid gold from its looks, the smells, oh my the smells, piney, with a hint of citrus as if I ran into a forest of freshness, and the same with taste followed with the ever present IPA bitterness BUT did not take away from the flavor profile at all. I'm glad to have had this brew.

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Oh man this is good IPA. Very rich flavor. Maybe someday I'll have a better IPA then the Ballast Point grapefruit Sculpin, or the Russian River Brewery Pliny the Elder Double IPA. I would put Odell Mercenary Double IPA just a touch below this, still great, world class. Maybe in blind taste test I would pick the Odell? I think perhaps the only IPA that is well known that I have not tasted and is better then this would be Heady Topper, and Pliny the Younger. Until that day this stuff and Ballast Points Grapefruit Sculpin are the best beers I have ever had the pleasure of imbibing. Cheers!

4.34/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottled dated 2/25/16 (9 days old) into a Hill Farmstead tulip glass.
A - Wonderful clarity, golden straw in color, meandering carbonation supports a thin white cap. Again wonderful clarity.
S - Tropical notes blend seamlessly with deciduous elements, Striking in complexity, sweet malts and a citrusy jam round out the nose.
T - The balance throws me off balance! Malt extraction is near perfect, the hop profile says expert craft on display.
M - Full n body, a bit slick on the palate, a sweet linger with just enough bitterness to close the deal.
O - There has been so much written and for good reason. This offering is to be treasured fresh as per directions on the label.

4.83/5  rDev +5%

What more can I say, It's Pliny the Elder!

I was able to try this lovely brew first in the form of 2 bottles with excellent results.
Smooth, flavorful, balance, harmony.

Really make me appreciate what is possible with the right level of hops and malt.

Then, I was able to drink this amazing brew out of a keg in Boulder at CX Nationals a couple years ago. WOW. I didn't think it could get better, but fresh out of a keg was incredible. Seriously!

If you can get some, GET SOME! (hard to come by up here in Minneapolis...)

4.35/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of those brews I had been in search of for a long time - I finally scored a bottle a few days ago and popped it this weekend. I decided to pop it the same night as another sought out beer that lived up to the hype - Zombie Dust. This one sadly - did not. Good beer but def not up to the hype. I can think of 6 DIPA's that I prefer. Again, pretty tatsy brew but not worth searching out. Just MO.

4.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I love the Elder its a great double IPA. Its the double that you always want to drink but you can't always have it. (unless your really lucky) All i know is when I see a case of the Pliny I get it. Its probably the best double Ipa out there or its at least in the top 5 best doubles IPAs.

4.28/5  rDev -7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled dated 2/12/16; drank on 2/29/16 in a tulip glass; I have obviously been wanting to try this for a long time and got a random opportunity today; 2 1/2 weeks old is about my limit these days on hoppy beers so this fits in my typical review window; this beer is great but it just does not match the hype, nor my extremely high expectations for hoppy beers these days

4.49/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Service: Bottle
Bottled on: Feb-11-2016

A:
Pours a crystal clear gold-copperish with a fat little two-inch cream head that is fairly solid throughout. Honeycomb of thin lace with decent retention. (4.25)

S:
Perfect balance of brightish malt and piney citrus. Oranges, pine cone, potpourri, bread, caramelized sugar. (4.5)

T:
Big thick wave of malty bitterness. Citrus rind left to ferment in pine sap, soap, bitter orange, slightly sweet white dough, clover. (4.5)

M:
Medium-full body, with sticky resinous shellac, lingering doughy warmth, soft carbonation. (4.5)

O:
Wow, this is an excellent beer!
Really full of malt and sticky west coast hops. Neither is never NOT there, but the hops slowly creep to prominence in a wave of citrus pith to pine pitch that ends in a vageuly warm, hoppy finish. Dryish, sweetish, piney, fruity, malty, hoppy. Just a solidly great beer that hits a lot of highpoints.
Would actively seek this one out in the future. (4.5)

4.02/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Excellent beer. Over-hyped. Was the best on draught that day. Thought it could use a little more flavor. However, well balanced and enjoyable. Worth the taste, not the wait.

4.54/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wanted to try this one for years. Lives up to it reputation. Not as hoppy as I thought it would, and that delights me. Big creamy head, smooth drinking.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

One of those beers. Beautiful color (dark golden) with a strong citrus nose. The hops aren't overwhelming bitter once it warms up a bit, gives a bit of citrus. Really smooth. Has distinct feel over say the NE hoppy beers. Very glad I got to try this out.

3.94/5  rDev -14.3%

Crossed off my bucket list. Beer had more of a malt dominance than I would have expected. I would compare this to Finch's Hardcore Chimera. I prefer the New England juice bombs over this malt/hop supplication. I am sure 5 years ago I would have rated this higher. However, with the surly's, Tree House, Trillium and other brewers on the scene; Elder is showing its age.

4.84/5  rDev +5.2%

Pouring a pint into a snifter, you get the clearest, rich butterscotch appearance with a pale white and foamy one finger head. Strong papaya and citrus nose, and those flavors definitely come through along with the creamy texture. The sweet and hoppy bitterness is so balanced. The carbonation is so fine it feels like cotton candy melting in your mouth. No other beer gives me this sensation. Although the Younger is so much bigger in every way, this is just as bold and delicate. I drink this everyday! Love it!

4.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured dark straw colored with one finger fluffy white head that never seemed to dissapear and laced for days! Scent was citrus and pine. Flavor followed scent well but was more defined: grapefruit, pine, subtle sweet maltiness to balance out. Great beer!

4.51/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

510ml bottle. 1/25/16 bottle date (19 days old). Appearance: crystal clear golden orange, with a thick slightly off white head. Nice lacing. Aroma: Strong fresh fruity melon and citrus, with a bit of pine. Taste: Light malt sweetness with a touch of caramel, turning to a strong, juicy, grassy, resinous hop flavor. Only the lightest touch of citrus comes across. Bitterness slowly builds into strong crescendo. Mouthfeel: Light body for the style with a moderately high carbonation. Finish: Very dry with a strong grassy bitterness. Overall: Probably the easiest drinking, most refreshing IIPA you’ll find. Lighter malt base than most but still balances the strong bitterness well.

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

L - Pours Clear and Golden with a nice white head and really good lace
S - There is a ton of citrus and pine in the nose
T - I taste grapefruit, fresh pine, lemon zest, with a malt sweet backbone and clean finish
F - Rich and slick with great carbonation
O - I know the debate rages, but no one can deny that this is a fantastic dipa. It's the balance that makes this a great beer. The fact that it has a clean finish that puts it over the top for me.

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is the beer that opened the door to double IPAs for me (my favorite beer style now). I think it has a great crisp hop that is well balanced and sweet.

4.28/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a 16oz snifter from bottle
Look: very nice amber with a small head
smell: this is where I thought the beer lacked the most, after having all of the NE hops, I was not getting much from the nose at all
taste: super solid, but not excellent, I got good sweet grapefruit, but a little booziness
feel: it was a super drinkable beer, goes down smooth

4.96/5  rDev +7.8%

Bought two pints at Denver liquor store...bottled on Jan. 18/16.

Had this a couple times previously in Portland, OR. Loved it then, nothing's changed. The less-is-more label is just perfect, the bottle retro sexy.

Great pour...clean, clear, 1/2 inch head. Head is creamy, but doesn't last to the end....but the lacing is quite nice.

For an 8% abv, this has absolutely zero astringency, which is rare. The taste is piney and citrusy with a great resiny tongue. Amarillo & Simcoe stank. Marvellous.

I generally don't go for DIPAs, for the typical negative effect of the raised abv on the subtle hop flavors, but this one rocks. And Blind Pig is near the top of my IPA list. Simply wonderful beers, though hard to track down.

4.81/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A perfectly brewed and delicious west coast DIPA!
Poured a golden color that shined through with a two finger white head.
Smelled of glorious hops, pine, citrus and tropical fruit notes
Taste - a nice crisp, hoppy, piney and citrus DIPA
Medium carbonation with a nice mouthfeel

So pumped I'll be getting some more shipped to me!

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company