1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Ratings: 8,754 | Reviews: 3,057 | Show All Ratings:
blitz134

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

I was lucky enough to have a friend graciously send me two bottles of this and the pig...

Clear, dingy yellow colored brew. Nice foamy white head on top that clings to the glass well, middle of the road foam density. Carbonation bubbles quickly rise to the top. Given the hop level the appearance is as expected.

Aroma doesn't dissapoint. Its got a bit of everything in here when it comes to the hops, quite floral and sweet, pink lemonade and grapefruit, tangerine rinds, hint of hop spiciness. Some bubble gum hints. No malts, hehe.

Actually...this one isn't that bitter to me. Tons of hop flavor, really smooth bitterness. Hello tastebuds! This is the UPS man delivering a bit ol' box of hop flavor right to your door! Flavor is a bit less sweet than the aroma, more pungent and piney notes show through along with more citric fruit rinds. Basically no malt or yeast contribution. Notes of the alcohol are non existant.

Nice smooth mouthfeel, not really dry, a bit fuller than expected. It lacks that sharp edge IPAs usually have. I don't think the carbonation level is that high either really. If it was any higher you wouldn't be able to pour it given the head retention properties hop oils have.

Pretty good stuff. Alcohol is well hidden which could be dangerous. I would pick this up on occassion. My taste preference have shifted over the past year and a half, so I'm no longer focused on super hoppy beers like I used to be. I dont want to say this is overrated, but I've had other beers on the market that I thought were just as good as this one is.

09-18-2008 23:21:09 | More by blitz134
Seanibus

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Another Russian River offering that lives up to the hype. A well balanced, well crafted double IPA.

Pours copper with a huge fluffy head that falls to amazing lacing. The aroma is strong with floral hops. The flavor is vast, with grapefruit dominating, with a tea-like tannic finish. The mouthfeel is thin, slightly clingy. Delicious, well balanced with an apricot-like finish.

09-18-2008 20:47:01 | More by Seanibus
watchnerd

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle from City Beer in San Francisco.

Holy molly grapefruit! Citrus explosion in my nose that goes nuclear in my mouth. It's like performing cunnilingus on a woman made of citric acid.

And a little bit of that hemp stink one gets with West Coast hops.

Not as in your face or as bitter as, say, Stone's Ruination Ale, although, in a floral sense, just as hoppy. Ultimately more drinkable than the ruination ale, though.

I've got to get more of this stuff. It's up there with Old Rasputin for one of the best West Coast brews.

09-18-2008 04:35:02 | More by watchnerd
Monsone

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Clear golden yellow with a bigh white head.

S - Big citrus hop scents. Grapefruit, lemon, pine. Man this smells good.

T - Big hop bite of grapefruit, lemon rind and pine. Good malty backbone with a slight sweet caramel.

M - Good carbo and medium body. Smooth and balanced.

D - This is a supremely drinkable DIPA. I could toss these back for a while, though I would be able to taste anything else afterward.

Overall, just a sublime example of a DIPA. One of my favorites. Wish it was easier to get in Chicago. Guess I will have to settle with 3F.

09-18-2008 03:14:50 | More by Monsone
bigelo1016

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

A - beautiful hazy light amber with a pillowy white head and excellent lacing

S - WOW. Smack in the face with grapefruit/citrus aroma and a nice pine spicy note

T- Hops dominate at first. lucious citus notes followed by a sweetness at the end. all the while the malt backbone carries it.

M- Perfect carbonation, medium body, suprisingly smooth for this level of IBU

D- really easy to drink (except for the price)

09-17-2008 21:18:03 | More by bigelo1016
eberkman

4.08/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured clear orange/gold into a snifter. Sticky white head, lots of lacing. A good looking beer.

Aroma is awesome. Huge, juicy ruby-red grapefruit from the Cascade hops. One of my favorite smells in the world.

Taste, however, while good, was a bit of a letdown. Not the citrus fest I was anticipating. But a nice malty backbone with good, powerful hop presence. Seemed to oddly lack some of the sweetness I associate with other DIPAs, like DFH90.

OK mouthfeel -- silky and oily. Drinkable in the sense that it's a good sipper and an interesting, complex beer. But it's a sipper, not a session beer.

Overall, a very good DIPA. But it didn't quite live up to its legendary billing. That said, I'm stoked to have had the opportunity to try it. You can't get it on the East Coast.

09-17-2008 03:52:29 | More by eberkman
PittBeerGirl

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

Thanks to Dlucky for this one. My first Russian River experience. Poured into my snifter.

A-Body is a nearly crystal clear vibrant amber and some bubbles can be seen rising to the top. Pours with a one finger foamy white head that quickly subsides to a thin collar but amazingly it leaves traces of lacing all the way down the glass.

S- While the foam is still present the nose is dominated by juicy citrus (grapefruit) hops. When the foam subsides a more spicy hop can be detected.

T- Upfront is lots of almost sweet juicy citrus (mostly grapefruit). Underneath is a hint of malt. Piny hop flavors rise for the finish. It leaves a medium strength residual bitterness behind...which can be overwhelming at first...but as you sip more it becomes more of an underlying spicy compliment to the juicy citrus flavors upfront. Very well done.

M- Medium carbonation and a smooth, somewhat oily, yet light body.

D- This is an excellent DIPA. I have been dying to try Russian River beers ever since I joined BA and this is my first one. I am looking forward to their other brews. This was unfortunately gone too fast. Did I mention that the alcohol was completely hidden?

Note: This is the only beer in my top 50 I am below the rdev on.

09-16-2008 21:56:46 | More by PittBeerGirl
paco1029384756

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours a cloudy amber orange color with a small head and nice lacing.

Scent of sweet fruits and sour citrus. A huge and full scent without being over the top, marvelously balanced.

Taste is sharp and fruity with a huge hop character. Lemon, orange and mango primarily make up the fruity flavor while earthy malts compliment the hoppy bitterness. Goes down with a hoppy trail that fills the mouth. Finishes dry and malty, with the bitter lasting flavor of hops. Alcohol is very nearly unnoticeable, again superbly balanced.

Mouthfeel is light, clean and tight, very smooth traveling through the mouth.

Drinkability is very high, I can't get enough.

Awesome stuff, if I could find it locally I would buy it by the case, growler, pint, keg, or any other vessel I could find. Highly recommended, and a must try for IIPA lovers.

09-16-2008 00:38:25 | More by paco1029384756
mhewes

3.9/5  rDev -16.1%

A : Pours a nice clear golden color with a good head, not much lacing

S : Citrus and floral hops, a touch of malts

T : This one has a really strong malt backbone to it that I wasn't expecting. The hops were a lot more muted than I was expecting. You could still taste them (mainly citrus) but I was expecting more from it

M : Medium-bodied, good carbonation

D : Real easy to drink but I was disappointed in it after seeing how highly rated it was. To me, it didn't have that something special to make it stand out as being the best of the imperial IPAs out there.

09-15-2008 18:16:59 | More by mhewes
waldowin

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Pours a murky golden amber, light becomes diffuse as the glass widens. Just a ring of head, eggshell white in color, lacing is nonexistent. Not surprising for a beer with this much hop juice, but not exceptional.

Smells of pine needles, cedar, and a hint of grapefruit. Very thick, like shoving your nose into a pine tree and breathing deep.

Taste is very mild on the tip of the tongue, and then swirls into a biting tang on the edges of your mouth. Just a small hint of malt in the form of grapes and malt in the center of the mouth, but no more than enough to let you know it's there. Finish is very dry and slightly acidic.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly not thinned out, for a beer with this much hop action. They didn't pound on the sugars to make it "balanced", it's just about right. Really surprising for a DIPA.

It's a very good DIPA, has more hops than you'll ever need, and tastes great. It's just so bitter and acidic, that more than one bottle would leave you with a sour stomach. Definitely worth a buy though!

09-15-2008 07:32:54 | More by waldowin
mentor

3.63/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a four finger yellowed head over a mildly hazed golden. Gorgeous frothy head clings and caves. Smells pink greapfruit pith, piney, grassy, and garlic.

Tastes potent hop flavored with noticable hop bitter and decent underlying malt sweet. Hop flavor consists of pith, grapefruit, garlic, tangerine, and oranges. Hop flavor is so strong that it comes across as a bit sour. Hop bitter is grassy and mixes with a clean alcohol. The alcohol dries the beer, despite a malt dextrinous. Malt flavor is absent, or at least buried under all the hop character. Md-light body and moderate carbonation. Decent, but I'm not seeing what all the hype is about.

09-15-2008 06:20:53 | More by mentor
madtappers

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Bought a bottle of this at my local bottle shop after reading all the rave reviews about this beer.

Poured clouded with a nice hop aroma, very drinkable IPA. Would buy again but at this price there are many other IPAs that are better for the money.

Again I recommend this beer, but there are similar IPAs out there at a lower price.

09-14-2008 18:38:50 | More by madtappers
Homer27

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

I've been waiting over 3 years to try this beer, finally found some distributed to Seattle. I was ready for a letdown because of the hype I gave it internally but it put me in my place quickly. Like John Stewart on Karl Rove. This is the kind of beer that gets me excited as hell about beer. Not since the Stone 10th have I tasted a beer this good.

A: Light, a pale ale as the name suggests. Excellent lacing and head retention. My wife put her finger to her nose and was going for the head when a ruler smacked her knuckles.

S: Hops, Pine and I seem to be the only one that got an overwhelming smell of apple.

T: I am at a loss how they made this beer so hoppy and so smooth at the same time. Again the apple, pine, hops and citrus - mostly grapefruit.

M: Silky, but not syrup. Slight carbonation.

D: Drinks like a 6.5% max. I couldn't drink this all night but I couldn't drink anything above 6% all night. Incredibly smooth for a high ABV like this.

I'm very happy with this beer and will buy a case next time I see it.

09-13-2008 03:50:45 | More by Homer27
dnichols

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to imacoug for sharing this fine beer with me. I served this brew into a 12 ounce mug.

A: It poured a cloudy reddish blond body with hints of amber. It had a moderate off-white head that was about a finger deep and lingered long into the drink. There was a healthy amount of lacing given the hefty ABV.

S: Nice blend of floral and flavoring hops. Exceedingly well balanced aroma with a decent presence of malts, citrus and pine aromas.

T: This was a wonderfully balanced IPA. It had a creamy malty and sweet front with a tangy citrusy accent (mostly grapefruit) and hints of pine.

M: It was medium to full bodied with a creamy and sweet front and edgy grapefruit bite. It finished very clean with little aftertaste.

D: It was a wonderful IPA, among the best I've tasted. It is a bit strong for a session beer but I would have no trouble going two to three deep before being forced to go elsewhere.

09-12-2008 11:36:08 | More by dnichols
BeTheBall

4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle in to my Sam Adams glass.

A: Beautiful 2 finger foamy head topping a golden bubbly, semi-clear brew. Good lacing that would not stop.

S: The amazing West Coast hops smell of citrus, grass, resin and everything good about hops. The aroma on each sip was a pleasure.

T: Similar to the aroma; aromatic cirus notes, grassy. Bitterness in the back of the mouth and throat was well contained for such an amazing hops aroma. Some residual bitterness on the way down, but very, very smooth.

M: Coated the mouth well; lively carbonation.

D: Because the bitterness down the throat is so controlled, this is perhaps the smoothest IPA I've had, ever. To be able to have this incredible hops aroma and taste without knocking your palate with a hammer is truly a first for me. My new favorite of this style.

09-11-2008 12:40:01 | More by BeTheBall
waltonc

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle purchased from City Beer Store.

A: 31 millimeters of head. Orange with some haze, though certainly not opaque.

Smell and taste: Evergreens, orange and yellow-colored fruits, and whack quantities of hops. I ordinarily dislike such ridiculous hoppiness, but can make an exception for such a well-done IPA.

Although PTE is very good, I must admit I don't understand what the obsession seems to be. This is not a top 25 beer in my opinion.

09-10-2008 02:52:15 | More by waltonc
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev 0%

16.9oz bottle received from largadeer. Thanks, dogg. Bottled on 30th July, decanted into my Duvel tulip at 2137h on the 9th of September

A: Hazy orange with a dense, two-finger beige head. Excellent retention and intricate lacework on the sides of my glass. Tons of carbonation. Very pretty

S: I've had this before, from a bottle, on tap and from a growler and every single time, I'm a happy man. Tons of hops - floral, citrus and pine. The pine is a lot more assertive than i remember it being but the delicate citrus aroma with oranges and sweet tangerines and floral notes are present and gorgeous. Excellent

T: Starts off with a sharp pine hops with citrus hops coming through adding the distinctive touch of grapefruit and orange zest. Malt is non-existent and this is a hop tour de force all the way. Excellent hop bouquet. Finishes dry, resiny and hoppy

M: Wonderful resiny hops coat the palate while the carbonation works perfectly, bursting little hop globules on my tongue and the drying finish? perfect

D: So much for savoring this. This one's disappearing all too soon :-(

Notes: I think god's playing a big practical joke. I love my dry as hell, brilliantly balanced DIPAs, most of which are outta CA and he puts me on the East Coast. Between last night's fresh White Knuckle, tonight's Pliny and tomorrow's Dreadnaught, I'm in hophead's heaven.

09-10-2008 01:50:21 | More by DefenCorps
koopa

Received a couple of bottles through a trade with Slayer3604

Appearance: pale gold to light orange depending on your room lighting. Not much lacing but lots of head retention!

Smell: Just a beautiful bouquet of floral hops, a slight grapefruit hop smell, pine, perfume, and the faintest hint of orange. Well done!

Taste: I'm getting some grapefruit up front with the pine and floral qualities coming next. Finally another wave of grapefruit hits as the floral qualities subside. This is a tasty west coast IPA for sure! Really loving it. Especially because there isn't a sweet malt profile to detract from it.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, decent carbonation, with fruit sweetness from the hops balancing everything in the absence of a sweet malt profile.

Drinkability: Wonderful despite the 8% abv

Please Note: Pliny changes quite a bit as it ages and really is best enjoyed as fresh as possible. I've sampled bottles that were 2-3 weeks old and they have extra bitterness about them that opens up in the 4-6 week age range. By about 10-12 weeks old this beer seems really degraded in my personal opinion.

09-09-2008 22:25:15 | More by koopa
gregc

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Growler courtesy of stewdawg, showed up a day after he filled the growler, so i decided i needed to open it as soon as i got it, so it would be nice and fresh.

Pours a nice orange color with a small white fluffy head, that quickly fades away.

Aroma is beautiful...nice citrus (oranges and grapefruit) dominate the nose, with some pineapple, pine, some malty carmel and a nice breadiness. Wow this is the best smelling DIPA i have ever come across.

Flavor is amazing...bold citrus hits me as soon as it hits the lips, pine, caramel and the breadiness. Nice bitterness from the hops, this is so balanced.

Smooth, creamy mouthfeel texture with a bit of oily hops. The bitterness hangs around just long enough, then it smooths out. Nice carbonation..

what else can i say this is the most wonderful DIPA i have ever had, too bad i live on the east coast and it will probably be hard to come by again.

Serving type: growler

09-09-2008 21:31:44 | More by gregc
roan22

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

My pint appeared to be a gold orangey color. The head dissapated fairly quickly but I knew it was fresh because of the lovely aromas.

The aromas were brilliant, like an herbal green plant, not quite pine, not quite citrus, but an herbal spicy balance of all three.

The taste was very smooth, hops tasted citrusy like oranges. A great zesty bitterness was there, and it never tasted too tart or too bitter. The malts tasted perfect and the balance acheived in this DIPA is quite phenominal.

The taste of fresh Pliney the Elder really impressed me because unlike every other DIPA I have had, it was not too sweet or too boozy on my palate. Very pleasant, very confident beer. It tasted as if it had been brewed for 100 years.

The only way the mouthfeel could improve, would be to throw in a little more of the hops that cause the long lasting bitterness after a sip. That would make it a 5 star beer for me. But I agree it is world class, an excellently brewed.

At 8% it is absolutely at the extreme end of my tolerance, so drinkability gets marked down just a touch. Can only have one pint of this if driving.

09-09-2008 20:26:49 | More by roan22
Aimstatus

4.18/5  rDev -10.1%

First off amazing.
A: A light medium caramel colored liquid with one to two inch head , that remains long after pour, with reasonable lacing that clings pleasantly to the glass.
S: scent of pine or forest like smell but in a good way. It's the kind of beer you imagine having at a summer bbq but better. The smell is neither over powering or to weak but just right the barely and hops are balanced perfectly.
M: I noticed the carbonation mostly immediately after my first gulp I had to do manly custom and burp. The beer was a thin liquid neither clung to the mouth or left a bad after taste.
T: well I believe I already mentioned, but to restate it amazing.
I want one now as I'm typing this review. So in general I think I'd have to say its one of those beers you can and/ or are going to want to drink every day.

09-09-2008 06:23:16 | More by Aimstatus
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Got this one from tpd975, Cheers Greg!

Updated rating: the last few bottles had a much better nose! Not as good on draft IMO...

Pours an effervescent apricot with slight chill
haze & 2 fingers of thick egg shell colored head. Great head retention & good lacing

S: Citrus & pine, plus floral & grapefruit hops

T: Grapefruit, pine, breadyness, some dryness & resiny hops up front. Grapefruit & resiny hosp seize the flavor focus as this warms, some breadyness sneaks through as well. Finishes with much grapefruit, resin & a touch of toffee & pineapple

MF: Medium bodied, with medium carbonation & some creamyness to this. Great balance

Drinks pretty easy for the style & ABV, A pretty good DIPA, which I presume is even better on draft

09-09-2008 04:02:00 | More by russpowell
MiScusi

4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

A- no double IPA ever looks better than this. Clear rich Golden in color, generous white head. It can also look very pale yellow or orangish depending on the lighting.

S- sweet sticky pine. No DIPA comes close to the appeal of this smell.

T- Starts out with a light tasting pale malt combined with sweet hop resin. Citrus flavored hops try to poke through the pine cuts through it. Lingering pine and bitterness in the finish.

M- slick but not too slick. Still light enough to enjoy without it feel like you're drinking syrup like lots of other DIPA's out there.

D- self explanitory.

I have had this beer numerous times on tap (at Russian River brewpub and locally in So. Cal), and a handful of times from the bottle now. This bottled version is close enough to the fresh tap version for me. Fresh tap might be just a bit more intense in flavor and aroma. But there's no debating with me that any DIPA even comes close to displaying the hops and not letting the the malt interfere too much and create a cloyingly sweet hop soup like plenty of other DIPA's out there. Ok, maybe it's neck and neck with Alpine's Pure Hoppiness :)

09-09-2008 02:52:13 | More by MiScusi
RickSawyer

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a brilliant amber red with golden highlights. A pillowy head rises and falls to a finger thick disk. Lacing leaves draping patterns across the glass. Smells wonderful. Piney, resinous, buscuity malt, spearmint, hints of citrus. Beautifully balanced! First taste is very solid! Carmel sweetness, bready malts give way to piney, slightly spicy / peppery hops. Not incredibly complex but something amazingly simple about it strikes my fancy. Just the slightest bit of alcohol on the finish. Soapy, solid mouthfeel. A highly drinkable DIPA from the guys who helped pave the road.

09-09-2008 00:53:14 | More by RickSawyer
GilGarp

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours from a 500ml bottle into the Sam Adams glass. Lots of warnings all over the bottle telling me to enjoy it now, not later. The dude abides...

Pours a golden orange color with lots of head that sticks around and leaves awesome lacing. Good, but not perfect, clarity.

Aroma is full of fresh hops, pine, lemons, limes, and a hint of sweetness like honey or maybe brown sugar.

Flavor is excellent too. Grassy up front followed by bitterness and it finishes slightly sweet. Nicely balanced for a double IPA, it never feels like an attack on my taste buds.

Mouthfeel is good but a little high on alcohol and the bitterness gets me in the back of my cheeks.

Drinkability is very good for a beer of this high hoppiness and ABV.

It's a great beer overall and I hope that Russian River brings more offerings to the rocky mountain state.

Bottled on date: 7/30/08