Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,764
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

I was amazed with this beer. Having had numerous DIPAs, I expected this to be about the same. Boy was I wrong. This is absolutely the smoothest DIPA I have ever had. The hops, of course, were front and center. But it did not nearly have the usual "hop blast" that every other DIPA I've ever had has. My wife, who tastes every beer I give her, usually makes a "scrunchy" face over the bitterness of the DIPAs I give her to try. This one, even she said is really good. This is a phenomenal beer. If I ever get a chance to buy multiple bottles of this, I wouldn't hesitate for a second, no matter how much it costs, to buy as many bottles of this as I could.

4.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle date 5/9/13

A: Poured a beautifully clear golden orange color with a nice head that didn't stick around for too long, but left a nice film of bubbles along the sides of the glass and good lacing.

S: Tropical fruits, earthy hops, and bready malt come through. It smells wonderful.

T: Very easy drinking for a DIPA. Very crisp and refreshing. The hops hit you at first but don't overpower. This thing is packed full of flavor. For 8% ABV the alcohol is not noticeable even though the beer itself isn't as sweet as I thought it would be.

M: Full bodied and nice carbonation. It has a crisp bitterness that hits you when you take a sip but doesn't stick around too long and is not harsh at all. Dry finish. I could sip on this for days.

O: One of the easiest drinking DIPAs I've had. It's nothing out of the ordinary but just a finely crafted beer. Not the hop bomb I thought it would be, but it's so well balanced and the malt adds a great layer of flavor to the beer. I'd love to be able to get this on a regular basis but being from Jersey it's tough to come by.

3.5/5  rDev -24.9%