Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,927
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 12,021 | Reviews: 3,396

4.77/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Really looking forward to this, obviously. I've had Heady and some great DIPA's, and I dont expect it to match Heady but if it can come anywhere close I'm in for a serious treat.

A - Unlike Heady it pours a brilliantly clear light crisp golden color with nearly 2 fingers of tan colored head, retention is fantastic and so is the lacing. Plentiful streams of carbonation rising to the top. Still a finger+ of head 5 minutes later, foam hanging off the glass from the top down to the fluffy tan head. Lacing becomes weaker as consumed although somewhat existing still.

S - The way I want every beer to smell, tons of citrusy hoppy fresh bitterness (grapefruit for sure). Not quite as bitter overpowering as Heady but just beautiful grapefruit aroma.

T - Oh yeah! Super crisp refreshing bitterness initially, quite bitter in the middle and then my mouth just begins watering from the citrusy deliciousness, the bitterness is damn near totally overpowered at the finish but reappears through the aftertaste where citrus sweetness is still very much present.

M - Super light crisp and bitter refreshing, medium+ carbonation but very much appropriate. Really a perfect body and bitterness for a hot day!

O - Overall this is amazing. Dry bitter, crisp, citrusy bomb. I think I've got a few rated higher but jesus would I love to have year round easy access to this!

4.79/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A-Amber brown/burnt orange with off white foam.

S-Hoppy floral with red fruit.

T-Layered beautifully starting with floral then transitioning into bright cherries and strawberries. Finishing with a great blend between the two.

M-Full body with a finish that lasts for days.

O: Great beer. In my top 5 for sure. The only reason I don't give it a 5 overall is that its weight stops me from drinking it all day and makes me full at the end. Excellent drink.

3.75/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I love this beer. But I have so many better double IPAs as of late it's hard for me to rate it really high. I am a little biased I have probably had more Pliny the Elder then anyone in the Santa Cruz County area. Russian River in my opinion should be known more for their sours.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

This is one beer that lived up to the hype. It had the quality bitter hop flavor one expects from an IPA but it also had a smoothness and a sweetness that had it soaring above all others. This is a well balanced flavorful beer that must be tried by all beer lovers!

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company