Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,335
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.93/5  rDev +6%

This beer is awesome! Stopped off on my way back from the bay to try out a pint. From the aroma, to the appearance and the flavor, this IPA has it all! I must admit, I was prepared to be a little dissappointed based upon all the hype that surrounds this beer, but it rose to the challenge. Again, the only downside I see to this beer is the fact that you can't get it easier if you aren't in the Sonoma/Surrounding bay area. Definately a favorite.

3.48/5  rDev -25.2%

Tasted on January 12, 2013:

A: Pours a copper color and retains a pretty foamy head for about 2 and a half minutes.

S: Smells of pine and citrus. Also, a strong malt smell to it.

T: Very hoppy up front, not overly hoppy though, more of a medium hoppy. Not very bitter in the end, rather smooth. Slightly malty in the aftertaste.

M: Not much of a aftertaste. Feel slight notes of maltiness.

O: Not a bad beer, but I don't really see what the big deal about it is. I'd rather have a Hoptimum to be honest. The only thing I truly enjoyed was the aftertaste.

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

510ml bottle (bottling date 1/29/2013) poured into Bells tulip glass and consumed today, 2/19/2013- making for a 3 week old Pliny.
Updated: I'm editing this review to reflect the multiple times I've had Pliny on tap at Monk's Cafe since the very first time I had it (which was out of the bottle).

Aroma: Primarily citrus grapefruit with floral hops, followed by a nice, sweet bready maltiness that evokes caramel and toffee. Honestly, as soon as I pop the bottle, it explodes with grapefruit aromas. A true delight to sniff all the way to the end of the bottle.

Colour: A beautiful crystal clear copper/burnt orange body. Pours with a big fluffy 3cm white head that dissipates within minutes. Lacing and collar is nice, bubbly yet viscous-like. Really has a great looking pale ale-type body.

Flavour: Floral +grapefruit hop blast at the beginning quickly balanced out by sweet caramel and toffee. Before the sweet maltiness comes into play, I quickly get a transition into a citrus bitterness, reminiscent of grapefruit and even some hints of orange and mango. Really well-put together DIPA with a malt backbone that gives this DIPA the complexity that makes it so well-received.

Mouthfeel: Medium body on the thicker end of the spectrum, wonderfully well-carbonated leaving the tongue buzzing with pleasure. Aftertaste is of the combination citrus and floral hop bitterness that coats the tongue nicely and doesn't let go. Just about what I expect from a DIPA like this. However what really sets this apart is how drinkable it is- despite its 8% ABV, I don't taste any booziness or heat at all, and it's scary how quickly this 510ml bottle disappeared. I'm not 100% sure what it is about this beer but I just want to keep drinking it. Also, when I'm in Philly, it's crazy how quickly 3 pints of Pliny and $22.50 disappears in a night out at Monk's.

Overall: A fresh DIPA that deserves the vast majority of the hype it gets on this site. Great drinkability, awesome complexity with its balance of bready malt sweetness and bitter hop characteristics , which is slightly skewed towards the hops. It's also a great looking beer for its class. An incredible beer that is a standard bearer for the west-coast DIPA. I have had this and Heady Topper and I can confidently say I would rather have Pliny over Heady if I could only choose one to drink for the rest of my life.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company