Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,044
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

Ami, Jun 24, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled 5/25/12

A- Poured into my Westbrook pint glass, blonde-amber in color. It has a really nice head on it, though I did somewhat of a rigorous pour. Lots of notable carbonation and bubbles sticking to the glass.

S- Like any good DIPA, Pliny has a great aroma. Of course it has that hoppy, piney smell to it that I was expecting, but it has lots of grapefruit aromas in there, some citrus like lemon or orange, pineapple, even a hint of mango.

T- Still bitter and hoppy the way you want it, but all of those smells in the aroma work well with the taste. More and more grapefruit and citrus with a bitter orange aftertaste.

M- Lots of bubbles on the tongue, helped this beer go down smooth.

O- This is my third favorite IPA, behind Citra and of course Heady Topper. I never get tired of this though, it definitely lives up to the hype and worth trading for if you've never had it. I can't wait to try Younger one day.

mgp2675, Jun 23, 2012
4.65/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Dark golden with 2 finger white head that stays. Bottle is very adamant about drinking this beer fresh.

Smell: Lots of citrus/grapefruit notes.

Taste: Citrus upfront with a floral aftertaste, some honey.

Mouthfeel: Medium body and carbonation.

Overall: A damn good IPA. Nothing flashy, but very well made and drinkable.

sureshot08, Jun 23, 2012

Grayvey, Jun 22, 2012

Quik4life3, Jun 22, 2012

rodrigueZflyingf0x, Jun 22, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from tap into pint at Falling Rock in Denver. Pours a hazy golden with thick white foamy head. Smell is fantastic! Sweet grapefruit and cotton candy with a tad blast of malts to finish. Taste is super bitter hop flavor but mixed with sweet cotton candy and pine notes. Its a little too bitter for me but its amazingly balanced. Overall, a truly amazing brew that does live up to its hype. Although I may like hopslam a tad bit more...
Being from NY, I consider myself very lucky to have had!!

DrinkSlurm, Jun 22, 2012

hiphopj5, Jun 21, 2012

jculler82, Jun 21, 2012

rippy27, Jun 21, 2012

littleporter, Jun 21, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours a glowing pear/honey gold with a finger of sticky, stanky white head that dissolves to form a neat collar and spotty bits retaining in the middle. Slow needlepoint beading persists. A lovely glass of beer indeed.

Dense, fresh wet hops... tropical citrus galore with the support of all things coniferous. Mango, pineapple, spruce, rich pine, for having such a boring label this thing can really tango.

Big and bitter but subtle and smooth. Tremendous hop balance. Let's not even talk about malts... what are malts? Fuck malts, this stuff is crazy dank like the stankiest of the stanky. It's everything you can ask of a hop, all in one beer.

Overall, thanks a TON to schwartzoid for this and many other fantastic beers. Very glad I've got another waiting for me in the icebox cause this is DIRTY!

Hell yeah.

yamar68, Jun 21, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Got 4 of these in a trade. Very excited. Held off on the review because, to be honest, was completely underwhelmed. Let it age a little bit, even though the bottle says not to about 100 times.

A - poured vigorously into my same old Sam Adams "I'm smarter than you, just look at the beer glass I have" glass. Pours a golden straw, paler than I remember. I know this isn't smell, but I smelled this bad boy as soon as I popped the top. Don't remember that happening last time. Fluffy pearl head, about 2 fingers that settles to 1 and leaves copious lace. Good carbonation. Great clarity.

S - make or break time, personally. Smell is incredibly important to me, and this doesn't disappoint. I get citrus (grapefruit, passion fruit, lemon zest) and maybe a little bread/earth, but the citrus dominates and holy shit on a stick is it good. Rivals my #1 ZD easily.

T - I remember spicy and peppery last time, and it shows up again, but not as strong as I remember. The citrus has left a little bit, and that may be a result of my silly aging. I get maltiness up front, followed by the hop punch (slap? It's not that strong) and a little alcohol burn on the way out.

M - medium to heavy, coats the palate and stays there for sure.

O - Blah, I hate myself for not giving all 5s. I guess I'm just not as sophisticated as you guys. This beer delivers everything up front with appearance and smell, then drops off a little with the taste. I wish that smell translated a little better into the taste, but what can you do? Would gladly take all this I could find, but wouldn't give body parts for it.

hoody711, Jun 20, 2012

apocalypsezombie, Jun 20, 2012

stevefinny, Jun 20, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Ok, I'm not telling you anything you don't already know. This is a great freaking beer. Honestly, I'm not a hop head and don't rush for the IPAs. But, this is truly one of (if not the) best bottled IPAs you can get your hands on. On the tap, I'm not sure if I would rank this above Blind Pig, but RR obviously has the IPA gig down. Great, golden appearance with just the right carbonation. Wonderful, grapefruit nose with all the things you love about hoppy beers and none of the stuff that scares you away. Wonderful taste and mouthfeel. I could keep going, but what more can you say about perfection. Buy this when you can find it. You won't find a better IPA in a bottle.

GlassHalfFull, Jun 20, 2012

Vevoda478, Jun 19, 2012

mermaidtail, Jun 19, 2012

stampfler07, Jun 19, 2012
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Half liter brown bottle with a bottled on date.

The pour is perfection. Golden edges that meld into a faint honey orange center with a soft, cloud-like white cap. There is the slightest of haze in this beer. Nose is citrus, predominately grapefruit, pineapple, and some pine. A touch of alcohol is present, as well. Great balance of citrus hops and malt backbone on the palate. The hops present themselves up front then give way to bready malts. A welcome bitterness returns in the finish. Mouthfeel is silky smooth, punchy, and crisp all at once.

Worth all of the hype and wish I had access to more in South Florida. I don't know how they do it, but everything is in perfect balance from flavor-profile to mouthfeel.

FleeVT, Jun 19, 2012