Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,317
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

3.13/5  rDev -32.7%

Head was nice and it was consistent with the appearance. It maintained the head for an average amount of time
Smell was very mild with the obvious presence of hops.
Taste was too bitter for my palate, I did not enjoy the hoppiness. This also was reflected in the mouthfeel. I had a bitter aftertaste for more than a comfortable amount of time after I swallowed.

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Big thanks to ehammond1 for sending me my first bottle!

bright crisp looking copper colored body with a generous three fingers of thick white suds. loads of lacing and ring after ring around the mug as the beer dwindled. huge tropical fruit in the nose, i could smell this all day! pineapple, mango, lemon, orange, grass, malts and toasted biscuits. taste is very pineapple forward. bright, crisp and juicy all describe what i taste, very fresh tasting nectar of the gods. a little sticky pine oil on the inside of my cheeks helps to keep the sweetness under control. a dry bitter finish is quickly washed away by more juicyness and leaves me wanting more. one bottle of this is not enough and only lasted as long as it did because i was taking notes. i'm a believer!

3.58/5  rDev -23%

First of all, Pliny is not pronounced with a long "I." It's a short "I" like in "tin"

Second of all, why does everybody think this beer is awesome? It's clearly not. It's a cloudy orange pour. Good smell of floral hops. And a lot of grapefruit hop bitterness which is completely unchecked by the thin, weightless malt. And that's not the end of it. This beer has 8% alcohol, but it does about as good a job hiding it as STEEL RESERVE. It's actually not a bad beer, and I should be happy everyone loves it. I don't have any trouble finding Alesmith's IPA when I'm thirsty.

4.93/5  rDev +6%

On-tap at Apex in Portland, Oregon. Thanks to JA for buying - I'll get the next round, brother.

Didn't think I'd get a chance to have PtE anytime soon, let alone on-tap. As the 2,768th person to review this beer, not sure how much I can add to the discussion, but I won't let that stop me.

Insanely drinkable. For some reason I was expecting this to be a behemoth, monstrosity of a brew with hop-tentacles coming out of the bottle when I opened it, but the bitterness is incredibly balanced and palatable. Lots of pineapple on the nose - that's a distinguishing characteristic that sets it apart from other IPAs I've had. Crisp, and refreshing for 8.0% IPA - mouthfeel is awesome, leaving almost no trace of resin-y after-effects. It's really a light, sessionable ale without sacrificing any of the backbone that a ballsy beer like this should have.

[(Respect the sidebar) - IPA brewers, take note: a beer can be world-class without slaughtering you over the head with a hop blast that will melt your face. Just saying.]

Hype? Plenty of it. Be it known that there are many, many delicious IPAs out there, but it's unlikely that you'll find too many better than this one. An OG (Original Gangstah, not Gravity) on the scene - lives up to the hype, and then some. Shipping a couple bombers back to the East Coast with me.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company