Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,581
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -19.5%

3.25/5  rDev -30.3%

4.41/5  rDev -5.4%

Having heard so much about this beer, and being a big fan of Three Floyds, I had to get my hands on this one, to see if Pliny the Elder lives up to the hype... It is a wonderful beer!

Bottled on Aug. 14, 2012, this beer is four weeks old. Might have held on to it a bit too long, but was saving it for the night when i could sit back and just enjoy all it has to offer.

My Duvel tulip is home to the king of beers tonite. Poured into the Duvel tulip, only used for the finest of ipa and dipa's, it has a nice billowing white head. I find the smell a bit disappointing, might be too cold from the fridge... Taste and mouthfeel are my favorite aspects of this beer.

How does it compare to Three Floyds' Dreadnaught and other top-notch DIPA's? It's every bit as good as Dreadnaught but is it better? Like I said earlier, I might have held onto it a bit too long to see what fresh Piny is like. But it is wonderful nonetheless.

The beer is a bit subdued to what I expected. Still a great beer from a great brewery. Cheers !!

3.75/5  rDev -19.5%

4.88/5  rDev +4.7%

The 2000th Review of Pliny in the bottle! Geek moment.

A- Golden-orangey, glowing. almost transparent. A vigorous pour leaves a 1/4" head that disappears quickly, leaving thin and disparate white wisps. Lacing is perfectly even, and quite heavy. Really fast constant carbonation- tiny, tiny bubbles.

S/T/M-It's so singular, one lovely aroma. I want to say pine, or fresh pineapple, but it's just, the glorious hop. There's citrus, pine, and flowers, but I think the pine is certainly the most prominent of these essential hop qualities. The taste is a mirror image of the smell- the malts are incredibly clean, opening up the perfection of the flavor. Gave my dad (beer noob) a sip, and his words for it were "sparkling" and "shining." However abstract, I really like that, and agree completely. I can see how super-fresh Pliny would be even better, the beer is simply a hop showcase. It drinks so clean that I'm surprised it's a whole 8% ABV. Not sweet at all, and the alphas tingle and dry the tongue.

O- I will be seeking this beer fresher than fresh because this is simply the best IPA I have ever experienced. This is everything I want from an IPA: gushing aroma and flavor, lightish body, dry leave. I expected a bolder IPA from the hype, something you couldn't help but be blown back by. But no, this is perfection in its subtleties, in its sublime BALANCE, that ever-important elusive quality... I am being honest in marking down aroma and taste to 4.5, but this bottle is over a month old and I have this deep-seated feeling that it IS a 5, when just a bit fresher.... indeed the brewer's labeling suggests this. Wow. Santa Rosa, here I come.

4.89/5  rDev +4.9%

Pours clear gold with nice 1 finger foamy snow white head that fades slowly, leaving a foamy layer on top and very good foamy lacing along the sides. Must admit I surprised at how basic this beer looks in a glass, but I can smell the hops from 6 inches away, so that made up for it.

Smells outstanding, like a handful of fresh picked hops; the pine and citrus notes up front are soft, sweet and juicy, like fresh citrus fruit mixed with lightly toasted grains. Aroma is sweet and hoppy overall, with fresh piney hops, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, lemon zest, citrus hops, toasted grains, tea leaf, grass, light caramel, floral hops, biscuit and light spices like pepper and coriander; the hops dominate, but don’t overpower the senses with just enough malt to make this near perfection. This is soft and inviting, yet completely hides the ABV and just begs you to take another whiff.

Tastes magnificent: it is juicy, sweet and hoppy with fresh grapefruit, orange, lemon, pineapple, tangerine, citrus hops, piney hops, lightly toasted grains, caramel, floral hops, herbs, sweet malt, biscuit and spices like pepper, mint and coriander. Juicy citrus and tropical fruit flavors come in waves that swirl in a complex tornado, yet let the grains and malt add balance and flavor so it flows down easy with only hints of the alcohol peeking through. The ABV is masterfully contained and the piney and citrus hops smack you with bitterness and then hug you with warm, wonderful complex flavors.

Mouthfeel is creamy and crisp at the same time, with a medium chewy body, average carbonation and a bitter finish that tasted like a glass of fresh squeezed tangerines. The citrus and grainy flavor that lingers are oily, but still on the dry side. It was like a coating of the delicious piney flavor purposely sticks around to remind you of how good each sip was and how good this beer is.

A hop lovers dream, this lived up to the hype for the most part, but I think I need to try it out at the brewery to maximize the experience. I agree this is one of the best beers on the planet, as something so strong and flavorful should not be this easy to drink, yet this beer was so smooth that I had to hold myself back and force myself to sip it at times – it was that damn good. Incredibly easy to drink and extremely tasty, I am very happy that I was able to finally indulge in this world glass beer. A very high recommendation that I will seek out again and even travel to Northern California to have again – it’s that good.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company