Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,583
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.59/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap in Denver:

AP: Pours a clear light orange with straw edges. Slight white head.

AR: Wonderful balance of citrus, floral, and pine.

TS: Balance is the name of the game. Not overwhelming in any direction. Certainly more balanced than I expected. Some bready maltiness is present. A great combination of hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

MF: Above average.

OV: Well this set the standard for DIPAs so what can I say? Was I a little underwhelmed? Yes, but there is so much hype behind Pliny. It is a fantastic DIPA that I would always return to but I tend to favor the DIPAs such as Myrcenary or Hopslam.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

It is what it is. Much hyped, and much anticipated to drink when I received this bottle with care from the northwest coast. After taking the bottle out of my beer refrigerator, I allowed it to get to a bit above 50 degrees (I wasn't going to pair this with anything but tasty cheese, bleu and aged cheddar in this case). My wife happened to have made a nice salad of corn, cilantro, tomato, black and garbanzo beans etc. Anyway, the pour, a beautiful golden haziness. Vivid white fluffy head. The smell, as great as any other regarded IPA I've enjoyed (citrus/piney splendor). Artful lacing in the Chimay chalice used here. When I tasted this I immediately realized this is a benchmark brew. The balance is impeccable for a hoppy ale. Bitter sure. And the malt is there, but everything else is too and it is well, well done. Like I said a benchmark. Drinkability off the charts. If i have to pick one bottled beer that epitomizes quaffability, thus far this is it. I can only hope to vacation in northern CA soon in order to sample the Younger!! The only disappointment I had, and it's nothing that can impact the perfect scoring, is that I only have one of these! But then again that's all I need to realize PTE deserves the cult-like status it possesses. As a double IPA, everything is right-on.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%