Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,791
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

A rare perfect 5! There's a reason for the hype. If you drink it fresh, there really can't be an IIPA better than this. That orangy color, that big fruty, hoppy smell, that rich flavor and surprising ease of drinking are unreal. Russian River is close enough where I can have one every now and then, but it's not sold in my state so often if I'm in the mood for a IIPA I have to look elsewhere. And as much as I love Hop Stoopid and 90-minute, they can't replace Pliny.

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

It has a hazy golden appearance with a nice two finger white head. Once you drink it down a little, you see the nice legs on the glass.

The aroma is mostly piney hops and bready malts. When tasting, I can pull out evergreen, pine cones, honey butter, bread, pear and toward the end I get a slight hops bite with apricots, grasses, pear and orange rind.

I can see through the beer, but the mouth feel is viscous.

This is a great beer. Every part of it seems to be in order. I can't think of a way that it could be better.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.97/5  rDev +6.7%

Hype is legit. Wonderful earthy hop smells, modest white head with excellent lacing. Great spice, low carbonation and perfect creamy mouthfeel contributes to an ideal balance. Dangerously drinkable but not to worry as the taste is long lasting. 8% ABV is lost in the robust and classic biscuit and caramel flavors. Gets smoother and creamier as it warms. Ruins the tastebuds for a lesser IPA. It's 3k mile journey to my table led to lofty expectations. In the end, Pliny delivered.

4.59/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap in Denver:

AP: Pours a clear light orange with straw edges. Slight white head.

AR: Wonderful balance of citrus, floral, and pine.

TS: Balance is the name of the game. Not overwhelming in any direction. Certainly more balanced than I expected. Some bready maltiness is present. A great combination of hop bitterness lingers on the palate.

MF: Above average.

OV: Well this set the standard for DIPAs so what can I say? Was I a little underwhelmed? Yes, but there is so much hype behind Pliny. It is a fantastic DIPA that I would always return to but I tend to favor the DIPAs such as Myrcenary or Hopslam.

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

It is what it is. Much hyped, and much anticipated to drink when I received this bottle with care from the northwest coast. After taking the bottle out of my beer refrigerator, I allowed it to get to a bit above 50 degrees (I wasn't going to pair this with anything but tasty cheese, bleu and aged cheddar in this case). My wife happened to have made a nice salad of corn, cilantro, tomato, black and garbanzo beans etc. Anyway, the pour, a beautiful golden haziness. Vivid white fluffy head. The smell, as great as any other regarded IPA I've enjoyed (citrus/piney splendor). Artful lacing in the Chimay chalice used here. When I tasted this I immediately realized this is a benchmark brew. The balance is impeccable for a hoppy ale. Bitter sure. And the malt is there, but everything else is too and it is well, well done. Like I said a benchmark. Drinkability off the charts. If i have to pick one bottled beer that epitomizes quaffability, thus far this is it. I can only hope to vacation in northern CA soon in order to sample the Younger!! The only disappointment I had, and it's nothing that can impact the perfect scoring, is that I only have one of these! But then again that's all I need to realize PTE deserves the cult-like status it possesses. As a double IPA, everything is right-on.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company