Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,935
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 12,035 | Reviews: 3,399

4.5/5  rDev -3.4%

It is what it is. Much hyped, and much anticipated to drink when I received this bottle with care from the northwest coast. After taking the bottle out of my beer refrigerator, I allowed it to get to a bit above 50 degrees (I wasn't going to pair this with anything but tasty cheese, bleu and aged cheddar in this case). My wife happened to have made a nice salad of corn, cilantro, tomato, black and garbanzo beans etc. Anyway, the pour, a beautiful golden haziness. Vivid white fluffy head. The smell, as great as any other regarded IPA I've enjoyed (citrus/piney splendor). Artful lacing in the Chimay chalice used here. When I tasted this I immediately realized this is a benchmark brew. The balance is impeccable for a hoppy ale. Bitter sure. And the malt is there, but everything else is too and it is well, well done. Like I said a benchmark. Drinkability off the charts. If i have to pick one bottled beer that epitomizes quaffability, thus far this is it. I can only hope to vacation in northern CA soon in order to sample the Younger!! The only disappointment I had, and it's nothing that can impact the perfect scoring, is that I only have one of these! But then again that's all I need to realize PTE deserves the cult-like status it possesses. As a double IPA, everything is right-on.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%

4.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Had my first Pliny ever. Got it through a trade on this forum and man am I glad I did.
I got 6 of em so I could share with my friends.
We cracked one last night and man I gotta say it lives up to the hype.

The appearance was great, this beautiful golden yellow with a nice head about a fingers width or so. I mean this brew was bright...shining like a beacon of light seductively beckoning you to come close.

And I did just that to take a whiff of this golden beauty. Man...smelled fresh, sweet, a deliciously fruity hop smell. The smell made promises of great things, and boy did it deliver.

Upon touching this sacred liquid to my tongue I awoke suddenly as if the rest of my life had been a dream. It's a testament to Russian Rivers brewing ability. An outrageously hopped IPA that is somehow completely balanced. It's sweet and bitter, hoppy and malty, black and white, yin and yang.

It doesn't finish overly bitter, it finishes with a slight bitterness lingering that tastes just as good as the beer you've just swallowed.

I'm glad I went to the trouble to try this beer. If your a beer lover and haven't had a Pliny get one! It's definitely worth trading and there are plenty of reputable BA members that would be willing to trade. It's easy for some to get, for me it was well worth the trouble.

They were bottled on 6/7/12

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company