Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,416
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
bobhits

Kentucky

Pliny the Elder!

22 days old and from the trade who did this in person, never not refrigerated/cooled outside of a short plane trip.

Pours a crystal clear body, only a few random bubbles are coming up here, nearly dead, and clarity like few other double IPAs. The white head is there and certainly seems to cling to the glass. A part of seem is impressed with the perfection in clarity, and part of me wanted something more.

Wonderfully balanced hops and malt in the nose, grape fruit, pine pine apples, and just well balanced.

Pliny has a bite and I mean a BITE from the hops, but it falls back into a mellow creamy malt bed that is simply dreamy. This is an amazingly different double IPA for me. It doesn’t really take on the grapefruit citrus notes nor does it swing to the fruity floral or even the piny. The malt wonderfully blends with the bite of the hops and give off a wonderfully, perfectly balanced double IPA. Often I feel critical of double IPAs for their great many flaws, this one shows how right I am to be critical.

Light for a double, but simply right in so many ways. I really want more people to think of this is how double IPAs should be in mouth feel.

I suppose I expected my life to change after having this. I guess that was a but lofty to expect, but still this is wonderful...amazing beer! I still rank fresh dreadnaught a hair above this, and I think hopslam’s sweeter heavier nature has traits that far surpass this, but this is simply amazing beer. I think this is one of the few examples of a beer that attempts to match stone’s dominance of IPAs without over charging or under producing.

05-23-2011 01:35:22 | More by bobhits
Kshock

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

A- Awesome bright gold beer with a little off white lacing.

S- smells of awesome citrusy american hops. great nose on the beer.

T- AMAZING of course. great hop profile that gets balanced by some lighter malts. great balance to the beer, finishes like every IPA should

M- great mouthfeel. not too heavy, but has a little chew to it. great beer all around.

Love this beer, and am VERY fortunate to have it on a regular basis. Just one more reason to love California

05-22-2011 23:15:30 | More by Kshock
Naugros

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Just about to top 1000 on karma so I figured I'd do so in style and pop my Pliny cherry.

You can smell this hop bomb as soon as you pop the cap, but still you want to get your nose into it and breathe it all in for a bit and enjoy the grapefruit, pine and orange hops characteristics balanced perfectly by the malts that throw off a light caramel note. I really don't want to taste it now...I'm good right here.

The beer itself is really pretty. Light orange with an internal glow that speaks to the quality of their processes. The head is white and foamy and leaves behind tons of clingy lacing.

The taste falls just slightly short of the nose, but only in the sense that it gets a wee pithy for my taste, but it's still perfectly balanced and throws down with some major citrus backed by pine. This is a phenomenal showcase for American hops.

Why talk about the mouthfeel? It's just as it needs to be for an IPA. It finishes very clean but still allows the bitterness of the hops to linger a bit. It's excellent. And that goes for the overall. Many think this beer might be overhyped...I am not one of them. This beer deserves its accolades as it hits all the right notes.

05-22-2011 19:21:40 | More by Naugros
Scotchboy

Idaho

4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

Extremely excited to try this beer, thanks James. Bottled on 4/28, poured straight out of the fridge into a snifter.

A: About as good as you can get, pours a clear golden color with a slight chill haze and a ton of sticky white head.

S: Great balance of juicy citrus & tropical fruit, malt and pine; West Coast to a 'T'. A touch of alcohol too. Very nice.

T: A good amount of pine and malt up front. Middle of the tongue the citrus fruit characteristics emerge as well as some more of the malt sweetness, and the bitterness begins to cling to your tongue. Not quite as bitter or dry as I thought it would be though.

MF: Not 'thin' but a lighter mouthfeel; good carbonation.

O: A+, I like its balance more than anything; this beer has pine-y, juicy, resin-y characteristics but they don't overwhelm you. It's actually a touch lighter than most 'big' double IPA's but it seems pretty approachable and more sessionable.

05-22-2011 03:10:15 | More by Scotchboy
Barleythenred

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Thanks to my friend who randomly asked me, "hey do you want a pliny the elder i got one." The shock and hysteria just made my day and i now have a new best friend.

Appearance: finger tall, frothy, white head with a orange glistening color

Smell: citrus with a mild skunk

Taste: bitter smoothness with a fruity tangerine flavor

Mouthfeel: bubbly and light

05-22-2011 02:24:49 | More by Barleythenred
dvsbizzyb

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Appearance - Pours a bright golden yellow with a tinge of orange and a moderate white head.

Smell - Truthfully I smelled Cannabis when I first sniffed this. This had a very floral and fruity citrus aroma to it. I smelled quite a bit of pine and other spices in it as well. This is a beer I couldn't stop sniffing.

Taste - My first few sips were extremely amazing. There are no words to describe the taste to this besides epic. The balance of sweet and bitter is unmatched.

Mouthfeel - Crisp, light, and refreshing.

Overall - This beer lives up to the hype and has surpassed it.

05-21-2011 19:57:06 | More by dvsbizzyb
jimmy82063

Connecticut

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle dated 4-28-11. Poured into a Russian River Pint Glass...

A) Nice hazy yellow with a full head. Very nice lacing.

S) Get a very nice sweet aroma.

T) Starts out sweet with the citrusy hops followed by a bit of bitter grapefruit zest that quickly dissipates with the malt. This beer prepares you for your next taste!

M) Nice and lightly carbonated.

O) A classic what more can I say.

05-21-2011 17:42:51 | More by jimmy82063
Photo of

4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Finally able to have this beer fresh, I have bottles from 5/4/11. I have waited to review this until I had a bottle that was less than a month and a half old.

a-clear yellow with a three finger head. Lively carbonation.

s-gets better as the beer warms up. Big pine and fresh hops. Some citrus fruit. Big difference when fresh!

t-this is where this beer shines when fresh. Big hops with a great malt backbone. The finish last a long while, and had a really balanced bitterness. Some sweetness, but it is there only for an instant.

o-I am really impressed. This beer needs to be consumed within a few weeks to really get the Pliny experience. I think this stuff would be amazing days after bottling. Great DIPA.

05-21-2011 04:08:26 | More by
lookitsmp

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

appearance: Pours a slightly lazy but mostly transparent golden orange with about a fingers worth of head which leaves some lacing. A pretty nice looking double IPA.

smell: Grapefruit dominates the aroma for me. Very sweet smelling. Some pine scent and, of course, lots of hops. This beer smells amazing. I immediately compared the smell to Bell's Hopslam.

taste: Much like it smells, I taste a wonderful balance of grapefruit and pine. It's like a balance of a traditional double IPA and a west coast double IPA which usually are dominated by pine notes. These two tastes blend exceptionally well. Starts off sweet and ends with that great bitter hop finish.

mouth: Very smooth and slightly carbonated. The hops dry leave your mouth dry and ready for the next sip.

overall: This is a very good beer. It actually smells much better than it taste (and it tastes very good). The fusion between grapefruit and pine works very well and its something unique that I have yet to taste in other double IPA's. I would highly recommended this beer, and I wish Russian River could distribute closer to me so I could drink it more often.

05-20-2011 03:45:33 | More by lookitsmp
zeledonia

4.13/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottled 6 April 2011. Not quite as fresh as I'd like, but for my first time drinking it, it'll have to do.

Pours a translucent golden orange, with nice streams of bubbles rising from the glass's nucleation point. One finger + head, very white and frothy; lasts quite a while and leaves amazing lacing. There's froth all over the inside of my glass.

Piney hops dominate the nose, with some fruity (oranges and grapefruit) hops, and a bit of floral. Malt aromas are there to provide support, but they're definitely a distant second fiddle to the hops. I tend not to like pine-dominated hop smells, but this one is really smooth, full, and well-rounded. If it tastes as good as it smells, I'll be happy.

It does not taste quite as good as it smells. It starts out rather malty, before the hops come in heavy. I don't actually get much from the hops other than bitterness - where's the piney resin that's so prevalent in the nose? Where's the citrus? Pine is there in the finish with the bitterness, but that's about it. Well-balanced, but not as hop-flavorful as I want it to be.

Mouthfeel is quite good - medium-bodied and good carbonation. Clings to the mouth and holds on to the bitter finish almost until I'm ready for my next sip.

A very tasty DIPA, but the hops just aren't there in the taste as much as I'd like them to be. I've heard tell that this beer fades fast after bottling, and I recognize that this bottle may have suffered from that. But 6 weeks ain't that old, and this, while good, doesn't blow my socks off.

05-20-2011 02:26:30 | More by zeledonia
GimmeGumballHead

4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

special thanks to JoshuaGarrett4 for the surprise box with cali stuff.

this is not my first tasting, I love this beer. but I'm trying to give it a fair shake.

A - Beuatiful! its some sort of crazy orange and bronze that you can almost see through, a light topping of head that coats the glass.

S - citrusy and complex and hoppy and wonderful.

T - Not quite as citrusy as I like my IPAs, but still outstanding and incredibly well balanced.

M - so well balanced, dangerously drinkable.

O - get you some, buy it fresh if possible. It's worthy of its reputation.

05-19-2011 21:54:46 | More by GimmeGumballHead
ktrillionaire

4.93/5  rDev +6%

I now know why people get so nuts over Pliny; having had a healthy pour from a 4 day-old growler, I can safely say that it is about as good as a hop-centric brew can be.

A - It pours a radiant brassy golden hue, and is capped with a heaping of fluffy butter-cream colored head, depositing much lace.

S - The nose is just grade-A totally insane; it is like being blasted with sticky citrus-fruit in the middle of an evergreen logging operation.

T - Again, if you dropped a tangerine-grapefruit-mango bomb on a pine-spruce woodland, some volume of PtE would necessarily be created.

M - I really enjoy DIPA with a feel like this, not so viscous, and not getting confused with BW.

O - I enjoy this at least twice as much as I have week-old bottles. I am not sure if it is a freshness thing; three days difference seems to miniscule to produce that much change, but I may be wrong about that. I am more inclined to think that it is better on-tap than in bottles.

Serving type: growler

05-19-2011 07:04:28 | More by ktrillionaire
BrlyHpsWtrYst

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a clear burnt orange, a rocky white head clings with lace, smells of citrus, pineapple, pine, caramel malt and subtle alcohol. Hop complexity dominates the flavor, moves around with different intensities of bitterness, excellent balance. Light bodied and lively but a little chewy on the end. Overall it's a perfect example of the west coast style. I finally got around to reviewing it. One of the best

05-19-2011 04:19:29 | More by BrlyHpsWtrYst
Hoptometrist

Oregon

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Served on tap at the Russian River Brewpub into a nonic glass

A- Poured a clear amber color with one finger of creamy head that left lacing that covered almost the entire glass with only very tiny holes in the lace

S- A bouquet of piney, grapefruit citrus, and floral hops. Strong inviting aroma

T- Great hop balance between grapefruit and pine, some tropical fruit, and caramel malt. Great balance of hop bitterness and sweetness, not overwhelming on either side, but each really shine together.

M- An amazingly soft, velvetly, creamy mouthfeel, finished dry

O- I was very excited to try this beer and it lived up to the hype for me. I really expected this beer to blow me away by having some flavor notes that really stood out like being very hoppy or very sweet, overly piney or overly citrusy, but what was so great is that there was such great balance and I did not expect that. Overall a fantastic DIPA and a must try.

05-19-2011 03:52:12 | More by Hoptometrist
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The esteemed Pliny the Elder. Finally get to try this. Huge thanks to JCDenver for hookin' me up.

Appearance. Pours a hazy orange-amber with two fingers of frothy white head. Nice lacing left behind.

Smell. Huge yellow grapefruit. Some tropical fruits like mango and papaya, floral hops.

Taste. Big grapefruit, bitter hops, tropical fruits, toasty light grains and caramel. Lasting piney grapefruit rind bitterness.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with smooth medium carbonation. Just a little warm booze.

Overall. Awesome dipa. Smooth and easy drinking. I can see why so many people love this stuff.

05-19-2011 01:25:22 | More by Rutager
OrangeAmps

recieved a bottle in trade from chugalug06. Thanks, dude! Bottled one month prior to tasting, poured into RR pint glass.

It pours a slightly cloudy orangy color. Beuatiful. Small but frothy head that clings to the glass really well. The hop aroma springs out of the bottle as soon as it opens, and the same can be said for the beer in the glass. It smells like an amalgam of straight up pine with some citrusy smells and earthy hops.

Tastes great, and is surprisingly very smooth going down. The hops are extremely present and not overwhelming for the palate at all. I was so surprised by how dry to finish was on this beer. It is extremely reminiscent of DFH 90 min and Troegs Nugget Nectar. Like, both of those beers but in a blender with an exceedingly dry finish.

So good. Lived up to the hype for me. Will be trading for more.

05-18-2011 18:43:54 | More by OrangeAmps
mikul93

4.93/5  rDev +6%

I got this beer 5 days after it was bottled.

Pours a golden orange color. Nice 2 finger head.

The smell is just outstanding. Pine, citrus, hops.

The taste is very crisp! Lot's of hops and pine flavor. I cannot get enough of this beer.

O Very fortunate to have RR in my area. This is what a DIPA is all about. So far, there is no other beer like it. But I still have a lot to try.

05-18-2011 18:27:11 | More by mikul93
locthebloke

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My bottle bottled on 6 April 2011. Consumed on 16 May. Not a lot to say about Pliny that hasn't already been said, but here goes.

A.) - A slightly cloudy amber/orange. A frothy 1'' head with moderate retention. Good lacing as the glass is tipped.

S.) - A pungent aroma of fresh hops hits the nose as soon as the bottle is opened. It's no wonder the bottle urges the drinker not to age it. The sheer freshness of the ingredients will hit you--pine/hops are dominant with a faint essence of orange peel. Milder in the hops dept. than I expected; I was pleasantly surprised.

T.) - Malt balance is provided against pleasantly intense hops--just the right level. Actually less hoppy than I expected given its reputation. Hoppiness is dominant, but a savoring in the mouth brought out its slight sweetness and orange zest flavors. Finishes really bitter. Hops linger in the mouth long after the bottle is finished. Alcohol minimal despite being 8% ABV. Dangerously drinkable.

M.) - Smooth, medium body with moderate carbonation. Hops ignite the palate long after the beer is gone. Pretty sticky on the lips.

O.) - Finally got to try the celebrated Pliny the Elder after getting a hold of a bottle at last. As I said, a dangerously drinkable brew that will leave you warm and feeling pleasant after one bottle. Everything is perfectly balanced here. Less hoppy than imagined, given its reputation. A pleasant surprise. I expected Pliny to be an overrated, overly hoppy beer that would inevitably let me down given the hype but I was wrong. Quite sore it's not available in Wisconsin. I paid $20 for the bottle. Is Pliny a $20 bottle of beer? Probably not, especially considering it's a year-rounder, but worth it for the one time experience if it's not in your area. I don't know when I'll be able to have my next one, but I look forward to it.

05-18-2011 03:50:41 | More by locthebloke
DearthVader

4.2/5  rDev -9.7%

On tap at 38 Degrees

Poured into a Snifter

Pours a straw like orange with a 1" white head that lingers for a while and leaves behind some great lacing.

Smell is of pine, citrus rind, hops and more pine. Beautiful earthiness to the smell. Very nice.

Taste is what you'd expect after the smell. Very well balanced with the pine flowing to the citrus and hops. Finishes dry with a christmas tree like feel in the mouth. I typically enjoy the west coast IIPAs that are more grapefruit and mango based, but this piney dryness is excellent.

Mouthfeel is top notch. Dangerously drinkable and goes down smooth at all temperatures. Babied a second one for almost an hour while watching the Dodgers game and enjoyed it even at room temp.

Overall, PtE is well deserving of all its hype. Extremely well balanced and luckily its readily available in my area.

05-17-2011 21:10:24 | More by DearthVader
RJLarse

Washington

3.8/5  rDev -18.3%

On tap at the Eastside Club in Olympia WA. Served in a pint glass. $5.50

Pours a gold color and clear. Foamy white head.

Smell is a fruity citrus aroma.

Taste is all about graprefruit and pine. It is an unusual and well balanced mellow mix.

Mouthfeel is clean and crisp for the style.

Drinkable for the style, with a lot of ABV to be sessionable. I hear a lot of talk about these beers, glad I tried this one.

05-17-2011 18:36:09 | More by RJLarse
kevinv

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 4/28/11, consumed sometime early May. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours a clear honey color with a frothy white head. Good retention and wonderful lacing.

S - Aromatic piney hops, very floral, and light citruses. Quite the handful of hops here, as expected. Very inviting.

T - Well balanced combination of malt and hops, but the hops are definitely dominant. Delicious hop profile that's full of citrusy notes like grapefruit, pineapple, and lemon. Nice pale malt backbone. Finishes bitter and dry. Slightly sweet.

M - High-medium body with a prickly medium carbonation. Slightly sticky.

D - Very drinkable, even at 8%. I'm not sure what's left to say after over 2,000 reviews that hasn't already been said. This is an all around wonderful beer that I strongly wish was available to me locally.

05-16-2011 17:43:07 | More by kevinv
LaCoursiere

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottled on 04/28/11 - First time trying PtE, big thanks to eyeenjoybeer!

A - Poured into a New Belgium globe. It has an impeccably clear yellow amber color. A gentle pour yielded a nice cream colored full finger head that stayed for a long time. Lots of lacing that sticks and stays.

S - Amazing aroma of fruits; pineapple, mango, grapefruit, orange and lemon all backed by light pine notes. There are fresh bready malt notes in there as well.

T - Bready malt up front fading to slightly sweet hints of honey, brown sugar and orange. There is a bit of hay/grass flavor in the middle as well. The bitter finish has notes of resiny pine, fresh lemon zest and pepper. The bitterness hangs around until the next sip.

M - Smooth and creamy to start followed by a burst of light carbonation and a bit of dryness in the finish. The carbonation level compliments the flavor profile very well. barely detectable alcohol warmth

O/D - I'm hooked. This beer is great drinking experience; the outstanding appearance and intense aroma set up the balanced flavor profile and excellent mouth-feel exceedingly well. It's a good thing I have a few more of these because this one sure went down easy. Can't wait for the next one.

05-16-2011 03:15:33 | More by LaCoursiere
shangwang

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

picked a bottle up during at City Beer in SF during a recent West Coast visit. bottled on 4/28/11. I've had Pliny on draft before but its been about a year and I haven't tried it from the bottle until now.

Poured with a heavy layer of head, at least two fingers. Dissipated slowly and left some heavy frothy lacing. Great golden hue with perfect clarity. The smell was dominated by a piny, hoppy bouquet with hints of citrus and a spicy clove quality. The taste mirrored the smell nicely, bitter hops with a delicate fruit sweetness. Light mouthfeel- watery and light on the tongue. Very smooth finish, left a lingering sweetness.

Obviously this beer's reputation precedes it, and for good reason. PtE has great taste, a balanced complexion, and it nails the West Coast style as well as or better than any other DIPA. Awesome brew. Wish it was a little easier to get our hands on, but being in Philly I guess I can't complain!

05-15-2011 22:18:01 | More by shangwang
nickshep7

Maryland

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Clear honey golden base (maybe a touch of hop haze) with 2 fingers of bubbly, slightly off white head. Initial smell is all tropical fruit – fresh pineapple, sweet orange, and mango. Pine needles and an elegant astringency from the hops follow the initial tropical fruit attack. Taste echoes the smell with the initial attack really showing off those tropical, sweet fruits. The fruit is followed by a nice transition to bittering hops. This is virtually the only IPA/IIPA that I’ve had the pleasure of tasting that has such a fantastic transition from the start to the mid-palate to the finish. Overall, bar none, the best IPA I’ve had the pleasure of enjoying. If/when I am on the west coast and this is available in bottle or on tap, it will be sought after…. By any means necessary.

05-14-2011 23:49:25 | More by nickshep7
vande

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

A ~ Crisp 14 K gold along with a nice clean, clear white lace hugging the pint.

S ~ Piny-citrus hop mixture flowing. What a DIPA should smell like.

T ~ If you haven't had it, get one. By far a superior beer. Well after taking a sip, my palate is still feeling the fruity hops....Thanks chugalug06!! You've quenched my thirst!

M ~ A very nice creamy body... I can only imagine what this beer would be like fresh off the tap. My bottle from 04/06 was tasty!

O ~ Well worth seeking out!! Via trade, road trip, whatever...

05-14-2011 00:55:12 | More by vande