Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,482
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
mdvatab

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from bottle into Stella Artois chalice.
No bottled-on date that I could find.

Aroma: Prominent, appealing grassy, sweet citrus hop profile plus honey sweetness.

Appearance: Golden-orange three-fingered egg shell-colored head settled to two fingers of rocky, sudsy foam that stick to the inside of the glass. One would be hard-pressed to find a beer with a better foam presence.

Flavor: Clean, relatively dry, grassy hop flavor, lemon zest, strong, but extremely well-balanced dry bitterness. Iced tea on the back end. Bitterness bites a bit at the end, but quickly subsides to a soft bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with medium-to-high carbonation. Right on target.

Overall: EXTREMELY drinkable IIPA. Believe what they say! Unmistakably an IIPA, but it has a balance that most beers in the style don't. It's crisp and dry w/o being drying, and has just enough malty sweetness w/o being cloying and syrupy. Highly recommended!

07-03-2011 17:13:37 | More by mdvatab
zrab11

4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

A- Pours a nice amber color with a nice 1 finger white head.

S- Has some cedar and pine notes coming through. also hints of syrup as well.

T- Has a nice bitter piney bite to it up front then has a nice sweetness in the middle and finishes with a crisp clean piney hoppy flavor

M-Medium bodied with good carbonation.

O- Overall this was a nice beer. Nice hops but alittle dry at times. Really like this beer and would drink it all the time if i lived in CA but it really didn't live up to the hype for me. It was good but i feel alot of other dipa's r better. Ill keep trying this every few months just to see if it ever lives up to the hype

Serving type: growler

07-02-2011 02:59:07 | More by zrab11
Cavery

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

500ml bottle dated 6-11-11, into Oversized Wine Glass; after work offering. I was pleasantly surprised to find this in Bristol farms while looking for Black Butte XXIII in Palm Desert, CA. This is the first time I've seen Russian River in my local store, and I felt like I had to be supportive of this by purchasing 6 bottles. This might have also been due to the lack of bottle limit by the store (haha, they'll catch on soon enough).

A: Orange marmalade with a healthy dose of honey. A two finger soap sud head rises like biscuits over strong currents of carbonation. This is quite a large head considering the wide mouth of the glassware, and it should be noted the head left massive curtains of lacing. Honestly, this is a cover shot of a lot of beer magazines.

S: Very juicy grapefruit dominates a citrus forward nose. Light sweet grasses and very clean fresh rinds reassure the drinker of the brews freshness. A rather flirtatious nose that is more suggestive of craft than it is of a lack of flavor. You can almost sense the bursting flavor by the smell.

T: This is just such a fine blend. The way the whole grapefruit plays with your taste buds is just incredible. First you get the hop-infused rind, then the flesh for days, and then the rine again. It's like you get to ride on the magic schoolbus through the most wonderful grapefruit you've ever had. Perhaps the cleanest and most refined hop linger in the business. Cumquat rewards the completion of your journey with an aftertaste that never seems to go away. Just astronomical drinkability for an 8% DIPA. If this drink was a book, it would be called James and the Giant Grapefruit. It's that good.

M: The mouth very much follows the theme of the taste. A flirtatious bit of tingling that explodes into big bubbles. Just like a great song with a great buildup, you get goosebumps all over. While that might have something to do with the alcohol, you'd swear this event was mutually exclusive. In any case, the mouth-feel brands you with an experience that forces you to pay homage to the elder.

O: The elder is truly one of the greats. A lot has been said to tarnish the throne that Pliny has sat upon for a long while now. However, this does little to change it's status among the very best DIPAs. Every time I'd try to take a gentlemanly sip, I'd find myself choking through the third swallow. The drinkability is practically beyond a matter of free-will. There is a magnetic relationship between the glass and the drinker's stomach. The key to enjoying pliny is quite simple: Drink pliny with your mouth, and not your ears or your eyes. If there is a DIPA on the west-coast that is deserving of hipster cults, then it is this one. After all, it is only natural that something this good develop some. In any case, Pliny itself remains unchanged, and the institutionalization of store purchase limits remains unquestioned. Pliny the elder is crazy delicious, a worthy flagship of west-coast IPA's. I will not say it is the monarch that it is sometimes claimed to be, but it is certainly a member of the distinguished nobility.

PS> I am glad to see that the first time having it out of a bottle did not disappoint. Anyone who has this fresh is getting the real-deal. Points for consistency.

07-02-2011 01:22:36 | More by Cavery
distantmantra

Washington

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at Noble Fir. Seattle, WA. June 2011.

A: Dark amber with a finger of white foam. Thick lacing is present throughout.

S: Pine and citrus are the dominant aromas. Nothing else is able to come through, but this is a good thing.

T: Strong pine and citrus notes hit you right away, but are incredibly balanced. Alcohol is not initially present but you start to feel it as you drink more.

M: Great mouth feel with ample carbonation.

O: I know that this beer is hyped to the moon and back, but it really does deserve the praise. This is easily the most well-balanced Imperial IPA I have ever had. I should note that I prefer it on tap as opposed to the bottle, but I'd never turn one down.

07-01-2011 04:42:35 | More by distantmantra
dmbsteve

Tennessee

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

I feel blessed to finally be able to review this. Those in the Southeast like me, know it is impossible to find this without either going to the west coast to get it or through a trade. In this case I actually did both to get it. Thanks a ton to jeff1973 for the trade. You are the man!

Pours golden/copper-ish with a one finger white head. Dissipates to a thin layer and leaves patchy lacing.

Smells of grapefruit at first. Initially didn't detect much of the pine that I recalled from the previous bottle I had of this. But halfway through the glass the pine showed up and actually began to dominate the nose with the grapefruit playing a supporting role. Interesting how it changed like that. The layering of hops that Mr. Cilurzo has created with this brew is truly remarkable.

The initial taste is also grapefruit. Good supporting malt character. A nice bite lingers on the tongue well after each sip. But it's not overly bitter. It's just the right amount of bitterness to balance the hop flavors and the malt. Slight alcohol warmth.

Medium to full bodied. Feels thick when it first hits the tongue, and leaves the lips a little bit sticky.

This beer is about as good as it gets. Comparing it to any other top rated beers is like splitting hairs. Instead of trying to compare it to my other favorite beers, I can simply say that this is one of the best beers I've ever had.

07-01-2011 03:21:18 | More by dmbsteve
dylanrossi

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled on: 06/16/11
Bought directly from the Brewery.

Appearance: Nice thick foamy head, dissipates rather quickly. Honey colored and hazy with minimal carbonation noticeable. Very thick lacing.

Smell: Heavy dose of hops slaps you in the face before the cap is all the way off. Flavors of pine and tropical fruit. Begs to be sipped.

Taste: Heavy dose of juicy hops hits immediately, pine and lots of grapefruit rind. Although it's extremely hoppy, Pliny is nicely balanced which makes it very refreshing. Finishes sharp and lively leaving behind a slight flavor of grapefruit that reminds you that it's time to take another sip.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, extremely lively and sharp, the combination makes this brew feel rather thick.

Overall: Quite an impressive IPA. Bitter yet smooth and refreshing. Probably one of my top three (along with Victory Hop Wallop and Southern Tier Unearthly).

07-01-2011 02:04:03 | More by dylanrossi
angrybabboon

Rhode Island

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for not one, but two of these... and a pint from a fresh growler

Review adapted from notes taken 12/21/11

Note: 100th review posted to BA, 1st and only beer thus far that I feel earns a solid 5.0

Appearance: Pours a beautiful golden orange, mostly clear, perfectly carbonated with a nice white head that fades to subtle sticky lacing

Smell: Incredible - amazing mix of hop aromas - pine, resin, citrus - various hints of tropical fruits, pineapple, mango, tangerine - it's like sticking your nose into a fresh bag of hop pellets, minus any herbal or grassy harshness - the nose seriously has everything that I enjoy about hops - some lightly toasted malts in the background

Taste: Personally mind-blowing - the hops are bitter, yes, but they do so much more - so many flavors, as mentioned above - resin, citrus, pineapple, etc. - the flavor of the hops is utterly absurd, but it's somehow not over-the-top - the malts are light, flavorful, impart a nice, delicate sweetness that adds the perfect amount of balance - honestly, the balance that this beer has doesn't even make sense

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well-carbonated, smooth - not very heavy despite the absurd amount of flavor, but not too light, either - refreshing

Overall: Currently my second favorite beer of all time

I wish I could say that this beer was all hype. I think that would make me feel cool and edgy. But that is not the case. The first time I had this beer was on-tap at the Falling Rock Tap House in Denver, CO. After my first sip, I think my brain exploded. I was simply incapable of talking or being a functional human for a good 10 minutes. When I had this again, I learned that it wasn't a fluke. This is liquid magic.

Update: May 11, 2012
After not having this for over six months, I find myself enjoying another bottle. Tropical. Balanced. Majestic. Classic. However, I must admit that Heady Topper may be taking my "second favorite beer of all time" slot. It's really unfair to compare these two DIPAs, however, as they approach the style so differently. The profiles of the malts and hops are so very different. And while I need some time to recover from Heady Topper's assault of hops, I think I could drink Pliny the Elder every day. Hmmm...

Update: May 27, 2012
Drinking another bottle, less than a month old. This is a masterpiece. I love Heady Topper, but the drinkability of PtE secures it into the number two slot. Dilemma resolved.

06-30-2011 20:47:29 | More by angrybabboon
huhl23

Georgia

I tried this double IPA on tap at the Russian River Brewery, and it was a focal point of my trip out to California. Needless to say I was not disappointed! The serving was in a standard pint glass, which sort of surprised me; I was expecting a 10 oz. pour. The nose of the beer was incredibly floral, which gave a good indication of the hefty hop presence. [Being a hop-head I was very happy with the level of hops included in this beer] The mouthfeel was somewhat standard compared to other double IPAs I've tried, but the taste lasted just long enough to entice another sip. I would definitely say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer, and would recommend it highly to anyone who can find it. My only problem with this beer is that it is very difficult to get on the west coast. Russian River if you are reading this, please distribute to the East Coast.

06-30-2011 20:09:14 | More by huhl23
UnionMade

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle dated 050311, picked up at Argonaut in Denver. Poured into a Stella glass.
Very pretty golden tree sap color (that would actually be amber, wouldn't it?) topped with about an inch worth of fluffy white foam. A soft haze, with suspended particles as i look into the glass. The froth laces pretty well, and keeps with a nice, solid topping over the beer through most of the glass.
Smells predominantly of resinous, piney hops. Very aromatic, with a gentle malt sweetness behind. Really nice and clean, with little in the way of estery fruit or anything of that nature.
Of the flavor, my very first impression, which sets this apart from other brews, is the soft, super fine carbonation. The mouthfeel is heavyset and sturdy, yet surprisingly delicate. Kind of like that fat friend that can dance really well. Hops dominate the flavor throughout, providing citrus up front with the toasty malt sweetness, and moving into something more piney and earthy towards the end. The alcohol is very well hidden, and this is nothing but drinkable. A bit of yeast flavor, coming off as cookie-like, in the back end. I can really taste this as a step above the standard craft beer offerings I drink on a regular basis. There's something intangible about it. A different level of complexity, or something more ephemeral. That being said, I'm not getting much out of this that's vastly different than something another great California brewery couldn't do just as well, except that you can pick up their flagship brew at just about any store that sells beer. I'm thinking that there might be just a little hype behind the limited availability.
Really nice, but I'm a bit disappointed about the limited quantities. I guess this beer would lose some of it's luster if i could pick one up whenever i liked, so preserving it for an occasion is something special. A great brew, even if the limited availability has an effect on the scores.

06-30-2011 04:32:55 | More by UnionMade
PerHops

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottled today!!! I am blessed to have pliny this fresh!

A- Light orange color with a nice quarter inch head that disappears, but leaves \a nice foam on top

S- Floral and citrusy as always, but I have to say I am a little disappointed it doesn't smell any fresher to me than one that was bottled a couple weeks ago.

T- Fantastic. This is evidence of how fresh it is. Best Pliny I've ever had

M- Again, exceptional. No complaints here.

O- Never disappoints, but I gotta say blind pig is my go to beer

06-30-2011 03:22:42 | More by PerHops
Blakaeris

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a clear bronze-orange color with a decent head that hangs around awhile, leaving globs of sticky lacing.

Aroma is mild pale and biscuit malt. Then dense tropical citrus hop takes over along with a good bit of resinous pine.

Taste is what the nose lead me to expect, but much more intense. Biscuit and caramel malt up front. Then the grapefruit bitterness takes over with a hop oil resinous quality. Finishes dry and bready with plenty of light tropical fruit notes - notably melon and pineapple. Alcohol presence leaves a slight warmth.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick and resinous.

A very tasty and easy to drink DIPA. Although the grapefruit hops are dominant, the biscuit malt also has a solid presence bringing balance and depth of flavor.

06-30-2011 01:07:42 | More by Blakaeris
bashiba

Iowa

4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

It looks great, perfectly clear bright orange with a huge pillowy head.

Has a very nice green fresh smell, very fresh light pine and citrus.

The flavor is very balanced, suprisingly malty, a very english bready toasted malt flavor mixing in nicely, very green with light citrus notes.

The mouthfeel is light with a bit of hoppy resin leaving a nice light coating.

Very nice IPA, flavorful without being over the top. Complex and a bit understated at the same time.

06-30-2011 00:51:31 | More by bashiba
PatLarsen

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange/amber color with a big foamy white head that slowly recedes leaving behind lots of lacing. There is a steady stream of carbonation throughout the life of the beer. The aroma fills the room with floral, piney hops as soon as the cap is popped on this gem. The aroma really opens up as the beer is being poured and starts to showcase some citrusy notes as well. No real malt aromas to speak of The flavor is bursting with piney, floral hops. Not nearly as much citrus in the flavor as in the nose. Surprisingly there is really not much in the way of alcohol presence, hard to believe this is a 8% beer. Medium bodied and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation and a dry finish. Really quite good, and I can see why it is rated world class.

06-29-2011 19:57:20 | More by PatLarsen
azdback

Arizona

4.28/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Bottle dated 05/24/11. Bright pale orange, almost yellow color. Very clear and filtered in appearance. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a bright white two finger head that is soapy to sea foam looking. The lace sticks in a nice patchy pattern.

Smell is absolutely fantastic!! Lots and lots of bright, fresh fruity smells. There is some grapefruit rind, pineapple, some orangey sweetness. These are all balanced nicely with musty bread, and big pale malts. As it warms, the yeast is taking center stage in the nose.

Taste is quite bright. I think I will describe this as, grapefruit oil, wrecking bitter... at least at first. There is some sweetness I don't taste on my tongue, but lick off of my lips. I am really stretching here but as it warms a bit more I do get just a bit of orange sweetness. I am not getting a whole lot of the malt I remember the first time I tried this. The alcohol is very well masked also.

The mouth is fantastic as well!! Bright and effervescent. Very easy to drink and dry at the end. The bitterness from the citrus wipes the tongue clean.

Overall, As the nose and mouth on this blew me away the taste really fell short for the category. Not that I didn't enjoy this, but I could name at least five DIPA's or IPA's that blow this away on taste. Thanks to aandresen for the extra.

06-29-2011 05:56:13 | More by azdback
Tschnab

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

My first Pliny will be a memorable experience in my beer journey...

A- Golden color with a thick creamy head, not much lace however.

S- Great pine presence here from the hops.

T- This is unbelievable, so hoppy, but no bite on the end at all. Just the smoothest DIPA I've ever encountered. Tons of juicy grapefruit and pine, I could drink 5 of these without thinking about it the ABV is hidden so well.

O- You don't need me to tell you this, go get this beer any way you can. Drink it, it's good.

06-28-2011 20:54:13 | More by Tschnab
calcio360jrd

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Finally had my first pliny the elder last week, scored a couple of bottles from beverages4lessinc.com amongst many other things. Did it live up to the hype? Yes and no. It is a great DIPA, the piney and citrus hop notes were amazing, the taste and mouthfeel as it goes down lingers in a good way on your pallette. But i was expecting to be blown out of the water by this beer, everyone saying its the best ever of the style. I will give it #2 of the style, i prefer dogfish head 90 min to pliny, there i said it!

06-28-2011 16:49:59 | More by calcio360jrd
CoalPorter

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Poured into a Palm tulip

A - nearly clear orange kissed golden hue, 2 fingers of creamy head dissolve slowly leaving generous lace

S - nearly indescribable. flowers and honeysuckle laid over funky new turned earth. This smell makes you salivate and feel slightly dirty even.

T - infinitely complex and yet incredibly smooth. beautiful hops make themselves felt with notes of pear, tangerine, lemon peel. Perfectly balanced with a grounded earthy flavors of roasted grain, hay, and dare I say... sunshine.

M - medium-heavy with a light carbonation presence

O - My notes taken at the time simply say "Sweet Jebus that's good". Really, this beer does live up to the hype around it. It looks great, it's aroma is transportative, and the combination of complexity with smoothness and drink-ability is incredible.

06-28-2011 16:42:40 | More by CoalPorter
BarryMFBurton

Indiana

Here it is, the greatest beer in the world (according to you BA’s): Pliny the Elder. I turned 21 only three months ago, and here I am now, savoring a classic. It’s amazing how quickly the culture of craft beer just sucked me in; I don’t think I’ll ever find a more engrossing hobby. I love it!

“BOTTLED ON: 050411.” A month and a half of age on Pliny might be too much in some people’s eyes, but good enough for my first try. I promise, though, that I will update this review whenever I sample a fresher batch. In fact, put that on my bucket list: one day, I will have a Pliny on the same day it was bottled. It’ll be tough for a guy living in Indiana, I’ll admit, but I’ll find a way.

Thanks again to dmsohyea for this great moment in my beer journey. You rock!

A: Pours a shining gold-amber – the body is brilliant. Not a lot of breweries achieve that vivid luster, but this one absolutely does; no question. The head comes out fast and fat, presenting a delicious white creaminess at the top of the glass. It’s very inviting; in fact, whipped cream is the first thing that comes to my mind when I scope out the foam. A ton of bubbles run up from the bottom of the glass as well, which, along with the thick lacing, provides ample energy in the body’s visual. It looks fresh and friendly, to say the absolute least. I wish more beers put off that vibe, especially when it comes to pale ales. Can’t wait to take a whiff…

S: Such a succulent hop aroma! Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, apple, grape…the fruits grow with every waft. Bready, slightly roasted malts and farm-fresh wheat scents combine to form a moist, green bouquet. THAT fragrance, not an ultra-bitter hoppiness, is the true heart of an India Pale Ale; this fits perfectly into that style definition. Excellent execution. There’s some residual sugars as well, with caramel, molasses, and marmalade syrups hidden beneath the most prominent characteristics in the nose. Intriguing and fresh – the true spirit of an Imperial IPA!

T: It’s hard to describe a beer like this. It’s like the funniest movie you’ve ever seen, or a book that constantly keeps you turning its pages – everything that it’s supposed to do, it does (without a hitch). “Wow” is all I can really say. A mellow smoothness comes over the entire palate, within the same realm as the freshness in the nose. It’s homey and again, farm fresh. The hops are very interesting, almost baffling at times; I mean, how can they be so bold without being harsh at all? That incredible quality must be why this beer is one of the greats. Anyway, the hops are fruity first, with a nod to everything mentioned in the nose (plus cherry/berry and citrus zest). The balance is incredible, though, with thick malted barley gracefully appearing soon after the hop blast. They are well done, too, settling comfortably right on the edge of light sweetness and syrupiness – it’s perfect for the palate. As far as the symmetry between sweet and bitter goes, I would honestly say that it’s the best I’ve ever had in a pale ale. The yeast that shows itself in the endgame is very subtle (as is the case with many DIPA’s), but it works. Its lively, acidic character doesn’t need a huge platform to make an impression here. All in all, there’s really only three words that can describe this: perfect palate craftsmanship. Nothing short of legendary taste.

M: I was a little bit worried about Russian River’s performance here. Really, the feel of an Imperial IPA can change so much about how the drinker perceives it; even more than in other styles. If it’s too thick, it can turn the whole thing syrupy, and if it’s too thin, a less-developed palate can really show through as watery. I’m glad to say, though, that RR achieved the best possible scenario here, too. It’s light enough to be good for the style and super-drinkable, but just heavy enough to show that it’s meant to be taken seriously as a sipper. This area gets another world-class rating from me.

O: Balance, balance, balance. An incredible array of tastes and textures like this shows so much care and awareness on the part of the brewer; Russian River deserves every bit of the recognition they get. And once I get my super-fresh-Pliny bucket list situation figured out, I’m sure I’ll agree even more.

The reason I love beer, condensed into sixteen ounces. It doesn’t get any better than this.

06-27-2011 04:01:07 | More by BarryMFBurton
PonchoEquihua

Mexico

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

I find a bottle in Chula Vista Ca while picking some other beer, bingo! my first

What a sensacional aroma, and mouthfeel, very impressed with the combination of well foamy head, good retention and those hoppy aromas.

Citrusy, piney, malty, and other great aromas in the nose.

The mouthfeel is very durable in the mouth with a little dry in the end. Very good combination of hops.

cheers!

06-26-2011 21:26:42 | More by PonchoEquihua
Allpe45

Arizona

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Eureka Burger in Redlands.

Appears a bright yellowish orange with short white head that leaves streaks of lace.

Dank pungent smell of resinous pine, with hints of tropical citrus fruit and floral hops.

Taste is also incredibly potent pine at first, grapefruit and more pine in the middle, and a crisp tropical piney finish. I don't pick up any specific malt flavor, yet it tastes incredibly balanced. The taste of hops is potent but not overpowering by any means, the bitterness in the finish is fairly low, making it very easy to keep drinking.

Very smooth, medium carbonation. Sticky coating that doesn't last too long, giving it a mostly clean and crisp finish.

This skirts the line between IPA and DIPA with its incredible balance, drinkabilitiy, and slightly low ABV for the style.

This beer gets a lot of (sometimes negative) hype about being a hop bomb. I find it to be a delicately balanced, hop forward masterpiece.

06-26-2011 19:45:08 | More by Allpe45
iadler

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Russian River tulip glass. Thanks Brian for both of these! Bottled on 6/03.

A- Gold with a fluffy two finger head. Leaves great spots of lacing.

S- Juicy hops with notes of apricot, peach, mango. There are also some grapefruit and mandarine hops as well. Some sweet malt in the background. One of the best smelling IPA's.

T- Lot's of tropical fruit including pineapple and mango. Some peach, orange zest and grapefruit and sweet malt follow after. Very well balanced.

M- Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight oily mouthfeel that coats the tongue.

O- Not really adding much here, but it's indeed one of the best IPA's available. The best attribute of Pliny is the balance and is dangerously drinkable at 8% ABV.

Thanks again Brian!

06-26-2011 00:40:21 | More by iadler
dleemiller

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -37%

I was quite surprised to find a bottle of this in Steamboat, CO. It seems to be a rarity in most parts. As a lover of all things IPA, I had high expectations, which were not met.

Before drinking the beer, I probably knew less about it than most who purchase it. I like my IPAs heavily dry hopped, but the pleasantries of the dry hopping procedure were greatly overwhelmed and sidelined by the bittering hops. I was somewhat uncertain that the beer had even been dry hopped. I also felt the beer was overly thin in the mouth resulting from a total lack of malt.

Overall, I found the beer quite uninteresting. I'd be willing to try it again from tap, but not in a bottle. Maybe it loses its qualities in travel, but it could not have been very old, considering the extremely short length of time it's available in store coolers. I suspect that the hype for this beer has been manufactured by limiting the supply, as I can think of at least a half dozen DIPAs that I would prefer. All I can say is try it yourself (if you can), but don't throw away your palate just because it's been so well reviewed.

06-25-2011 03:18:08 | More by dleemiller
welldigger888

South Carolina

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Shared with a dear old friend on fathers day, from my notes.

500 ml bottle w/ a freshness date, poured a clear orangish hued golden with an ample fluffy white head that nleft BIG lacing down the glass.

WOW, what a nose. Big hop pineapple mango peach and huge piney resonious goodness. The hops are the star of the show but the malty goodness holds it's self in perfect support. WOW!!!

Again the hops hold court. BIG tropical fruit and piney hops flavers that are supported well by some malt.Mango pineapple peach grapefruit and tangirine seem like to much, But they all go so well together along with ample piney resonoius. Awesome!!!

This beer has a luxorius feel to me, spot on carbonation oily chewy and dry.

I feel this beer holds up to the hype. Reminds me of a filtered boyking from coast brewing.

06-24-2011 15:46:37 | More by welldigger888
FARGO619

Pours a sightly hazy golden color with a 2 finger head and much lacing.

The nose is awesome. i have been waiting to try this beer since i became a BA. Lots of grassy, earthly notes overpowered with citrus and pine standouts. Simply beautiful (although I stand my ground by stating that Hill Farmstead Abner is still the best nose I have experienced!)

It hits the lips and immediately evokes tastes of citrus, pinapple, mango, bready malts, and a nice bitter but pleasant finish.

The mouthfeel is very easy, easy but very complex if that is possible. It is not overpowering but just right, perfect carbonation and sticky sweetness.

06-23-2011 16:33:51 | More by FARGO619
Adrianized

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottled 05.24.11, poured into a snifter this morning.

Clear, golden orange in color.  One finger white head which settles but leaves behind big globs of bubbles which float around.  Good retention.

On the nose I pick up tangerines, pink grapefruit, lemon, floral hops, bready malt, and some piney resin.  A cornucopia of different hop profiles.

The taste is a similarly balanced blend of hops.  First I get the citrus hops, tangerines and sweet-bitter grapefruit.  Midway  there is a subdued bready malt, quickly followed by more bitter grapefruit.  It finishes with a piney resin, which also stays around to provide a very pleasant, dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium body, low-medium carbonation, and leaves an oily hops film.  Very nice.

Overall, I agree that this is a near perfect DIPA.  It's so incredibly balanced, yet the flavor intensifies as it warms and continues to coat the palate.

06-23-2011 12:25:21 | More by Adrianized