Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,554
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
TheGordianKnot

Tennessee

4.13/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottled on 6.16.2011 and drinking exactly one month after. Poured into stemless wine glass.

A- Pours a dark burnt orange lookings liquid with about an inch of a very foamy head. The head proves itself to be quite stable and leaves incredible lacing.

S- The aroma is a balanced mix of pine and citrus (grapefruit, pineapple, oranges) hops with a bubblegum backbone to round it out.

T/M- Hmm. This is good, but not A+ good. The level of bitterness is not where I thought it would be nor where I would like it to be. The hop flavor is even subdued quite a bit. The taste is mainly a grapefruity citrus with a touch of banana that I find playing peek-a-boo throughout. Its a little different, but definitely nothing to write home about. The body, however was fantastic for a DIPA! Very smooth and light body with a nice level of carbonation that is reserved, yet enough to keep it very refreshing. Top notch as far as mouthfeel goes.

O- I really liked this beer, but I think the hype and expectations made drinking this a little disappointing. I'm glad I got the chance to try it, but I can honestly say that I will NEVER actively seek this out again unless I can have the beer in my glass within 10 days of being bottled! Hmmm- maybe now I'll go start 19 threads of "Beer X is better than Pliny!!!!1!!"

07-19-2011 12:32:26 | More by TheGordianKnot
tdm168

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap at Hopmonk Tavern in Sebastopol, CA while on my honeymoon.

Pours a nice yellow with a soft head, good retention. Nose is floral and fruity. Taste is floral, fruity, hoppy; great for a DIPA. This beer is crisp, refreshing, and dangerously drinkable. It took a long time and nationwide trip, but I finally got my hands on Pliny The Elder and was not disappointed.

07-19-2011 11:54:47 | More by tdm168
Jordan

4.93/5  rDev +6%

A: Great frothy head, sticks like resin to the sides of glass. Hazy and golden.

S: Hops smacks you across the face. Floral, grapefruit and citrus rinds. Pine and alder.

T: Fresh resinous/sappy hop profile in the front. Pine needle, ash, and jasmine. Malt profile provides a good foundation for showcasing the diverse hop profile.

O: An exceptional beer in every respect. Perhaps the quintessential brew of the American beer revolution.

07-18-2011 05:06:35 | More by Jordan
Nashvillain

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled 6/16/11, Served in a stemless Chardonnay glass. Thanks Jeremy! (Chickencoop)

Aroma is light and earthy/floral, slightly ephemeral. Almost hard to grab it, kind of teasingy/cloying

The appearance is light, almost a perfect color for an IPA, but not quite the darkness customary for a IIPA, not a bad thing though. A nice, rustic golden color.

Taste is hoppy and bright, but almost reserved for a IIPA. If this were a single IPA it could most likely be the best IPA I've ever tasted. I'm not entirely sure that it deserves the hype but I'm not going to debit it for that either, it's solid, very much so. The alcohol is almost completely masked by the earthy floral of the hops, and the flavors blend into a cohesive unit, very well integrated.

Overall, I can see why this has been in the top for a long time, but I'm not sure about a beer that can't travel being so hyped. I understand what Vinnie means about not letting it get past two weeks.

07-18-2011 00:20:18 | More by Nashvillain
Hatzilla

Bottle into a tulip. Bottled on 071111.

A - A beautiful clear amber pour with a fluffy 2 finger head.

S - Starts with tropical fruits - mangoes and apricots, followed by grapefruit rind and finally a robust malt.

T - An amazing, crisp taste to go with the scent. Orange, grapefruit, pine and a biscuity malt to counterbalance the hops. Alcohol is not discernible.

M - Smooth and clean with medium carbonation.

O - Overall, this Double IPA reigns supreme, and for good reason. A great example of a well-balanced DIPA, plenty of hop character but offset by the malts.

07-17-2011 03:17:50 | More by Hatzilla
ltjska04

Kentucky

3.75/5  rDev -19.4%

I've been waiting to get my hands on this beer for years, and my future mother-in-law just returned from a trip to Napa Valley and brought a single bottle of Pliny the Elder home for me. To my pleasant surprise the bottling date was 7/11/11... 5 days ago! Let's get to it!

A- Clear orange/amber with a fluffy, sudsy white head that recedes to a thin film with clumpy white islands and lacing on the sides of my snifter. A single stream of tiny bubbles emerge from the bottom of the glass.

S- Tropical fruit/citrusy, piney, a little herbal, a hint of wood? Grapefruit with a bit of sweetness... while lots of hop characteristics are present it isn’t the hop explosion I was expecting.

T- Hoppy, but not overly so. The malt is there to balance the bitterness with a bit of honey-like sweetness. The bitterness lingers a bit but it is not that strong. The flavor seems a bit flat and muted. For this fresh a bottle I thought the hop flavor would be overflowing. This seems like it'd be a very sessionable beer if it weren't for the higher ABV; the flavor isn't overpowering but I could drink it all night.

M- This is probably the driest DIPA I’ve every had. I feel like it’s lacking carbonation; higher levels would bring the hop flavor out more. The body is thin for the style.

O- Overall, I hate to say it, but I’m disappointed. This bottle is only 5 days old but tastes much older. I don’t know if it was the cross-country trip or some other issue but this isn’t what I expected. I’ve had many better DIPA’s that are a lot easier to come by in my area. I would definitely drink this again but wouldn’t go out of my way to obtain it.

07-17-2011 03:05:23 | More by ltjska04
RodneyX

Missouri

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer pours an orangish color with some yellow and a big white head. Left a lot of great lacing on the sides. Smells of super pine hops and just a little bit of malt. Lots of citrus and other things going on, smells great. The taste isn't any type of let down, with great pine hops and things that turn bitter on the end. It doesn't have tropical fruit notes that other ones do, more of a piney grapefruit beer. Really like this one, fantastic on tap.

07-17-2011 01:46:53 | More by RodneyX
sergeantstogie

Washington

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled on 062911.

As hard as it was to score the two bottles I really had to resist the urge to hold on to my bottles and give in to Vinnie's advice on the bottle to drink it fresh. I am very glad I did.

This has been a summer of many very good IPAs and IIPAs. The trend being bigger and bolder. My assumption was Pliny was going to be the biggest, baddest, boldest asskicker of an IIPA on the block. My first taste corrected that assumption and in the same moment gave me a more profound understanding of the other Russian River beers I have drank recently.

Pliny poured a gorgeous glowing gold. It looks like the mystery contents of Marcellus Wallace's brief case when viewed by Vincent Vega.

The smell is pure grapefruit.

The taste is grapefruit as well, but not over powering. Many of the IPAs and IIPAs I have had recently in brewpubs boast loud and proud about the perfection achieved in the balance of their product's bitterness, aroma and malt flavor. However, Pliny absolutely nails it. No one flavor is competing to out do any of the others. It is a very happy marriage of citrus, slight pine, tiny hint of dank and a ridiculously smooth and ever so sweet and clean malt background.

The mouthfeel is light and airy.

Overall, as I said in the beginning, this beer gave me a profound understanding of what exactly it is Vinnie is up to at Russian River. His beers are subtle in the way any man who is sure of his abilities can be subtle. In confidence, a well crafted beer can be flavorful, strong and smooth all at the same time. It is only when one of these qualities is out of balance that the need to call attention to itself arises. All of the Russian River beers I have had so far have shown this. Pliny better than the rest!

07-16-2011 07:15:40 | More by sergeantstogie
ibryce

Oregon

3.9/5  rDev -16.1%

This beer is good. I don't understand why people freak out with A+ ratings. For me, Ninkasi's "Maiden the Shade" is a better choice for a similar beer. I don't get why the "bros" give "Total Domination" a C rating and then give this an A+? Guess my palette just isn't as refined!

07-15-2011 02:25:28 | More by ibryce
Kubus

Ontario (Canada)

4.4/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured from a 500mL bottle purchased at the Russian River brewery into a highball glass in a San Francisco hotel.

A: Pours a nice golden yellow with a nice fizzy head which bubbles away quickly and leaves a nice white ring around the glass. Very fizzy with no cloudiness.

S: Mango, papaya, rosemary, a hint of hops, peach, orange, and many other citrus scents (Tangelo?)

T: Begins with a rush of citrus and papaya flavour, very nice. Follows up with some pine and rosemary and concludes with a light hop aftertaste. Very gentle, doesn't ruin the flavour with a huge hop aftertaste, just reminds you what you are drinking.

M: For a DIPA this is extremely smooth, actually I would venture to say it is one of he gentlest beers I've ever tasted. Light tastes wash over your tongue over and over, none really overpowering, all well balanced.

O: after being disappointed by Supplication, this beer was a welcome change. Again it is fairly overhyped by BA, but the difference is that this one at least comes close to matching the hype. A very good beer, worth picking up to experience, would be even better had I not known of it's legendary status.

07-15-2011 00:00:55 | More by Kubus
VicSlick

2.2/5  rDev -52.7%

I dont know I f I got a bad batch of this beer but it is definitely NOT WORTHY OF AN A+!

Bought four pint bottles from Whole Foods Cupertino. Thre reason I bought four is because I was expecting an awesome brewski.

Appearance is average. It pours a Budweiser Yellow. Lets be honest.

Smell is okay. I dont really judge any beer off its smell.

Taste. This is where it gets weird. I took the first sip of beer and I tasted the intense flavor of ALCOHOL. I know a Double IPA is gonna be a strong beer but the smell and palate feel was that of a post vodka shot. I hope this is a bad batch, cause I really wanna enjoy this beer. I just didnt.

Mouthfeel. SEE TASTE.

Overall, I would not pay $5 a pint for a beer I had a bad experience with ever again, but if a friend buys me one, I would be open to trying it again in hopes that the batch was on point.

07-14-2011 00:59:43 | More by VicSlick
jmarsh123

Indiana

Finally got the opporitunity to try this while on my business trip to SD.

Wow this is everything I had hoped for.
Poured a hazy orange. This is literally one of the most beautiful beers I've ever seen. The color is just outstanding. Too bad I can only go 5.0 on here. Very little head and some lacing down the glass.

Smells of grapefruit/citrus with a little bready malt presence.

Taste is a hops overload of delicious citrus with a nice strong bitter finish.

Lighter bodied for a DIPA which is perfect for me. The hops really shine through on this and before I knew it I had drained the whole pint with little effort. I just wish I had a way of getting this close to home.

07-13-2011 19:31:13 | More by jmarsh123
ajsdad06

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

500 ml bottle poured into a snifter.

Pours a clear orange amber color with a small fine white head.
The fact that this looks like many other IPA's doesn't do the rest of the experience justice.

The aroma upon opening the bottle was inviting: caramel and toffee melded with a bevy of fruits (citrus, grapefruit, pineapple,), pine and floral notes.

The flavor balances nicely between the moderately sweet caramel maltiness and the bitterness of the hops; pine, floral, and resiny. I don’t get much in the way of alcohol, probably because the aroma and flavor are too distracting. This is an excellent beer. Medium-full bodied and super easy to drink. I can’t wait to try this on tap someday.

07-13-2011 03:39:26 | More by ajsdad06
Shaw

4.03/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks for fellow BA thryn for the bottle! Bottled June 3, drinking on July 12. I had this on draft at O'Brien's in San Diego years ago and remember loving it, but this is my first review.

Pours a light amber/dark gold in color with a big foamy head that reduces to a thick layer with lots of lacing. Hard to improve.

Deep earthy, herbal and citrus aroma from the hops, with a hint of alcohol.

The taste is bitter and hoppy, but still restrained somewhat. I was expecting a big bitter beer, but this tastes almost balanced. Don't get me wrong, it's good, just not excellent. I'm surprised, I was expecting more. I don't believe this bottle is old at just past a month from bottling?

I would consider this an approachable double IPA. It's not the best, that spot being taken by Bell's HopSlam.

07-13-2011 02:33:01 | More by Shaw
CharlesRiver

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

On tap at The Englander.16 oz pint glass serving. Pours out a slightly cloudy tannish orange color with a nice little head. Smell is lovely. Tons of hops but some balance as well. Nice citrus hops with some earthyness mixed in.

Mouthfeel is a bit bigger than I expected but inline for this style. Taste is row after row of hops. Citrus, grass, and malt all meld into something very special.

Drinkability takes a few hits due to the higher alc and thicker Mouthfeel. Not overly sweet which is something I hate in this stye.

07-13-2011 00:40:14 | More by CharlesRiver
7ate9

3.83/5  rDev -17.6%

Looks nice. A medium to medium low concentration ever-so-too -little-slightly-hazy-golden-orange. Good fluff and sticky lacing.
The sniff is good. Citrus, orange, grapefruit, with a pine backing. It smells nice enough. It's not quite as vibrant as I would have liked.
The taste follows the nose with all the fruit and pine. The midpalate seems a bit lost and hollow. The flavor is good but it's not deep. Pleasant upfront, with a dead spot near the center, finishing with nice bitterness and an exhale of hops. Pleasant is all.
Nice carb. Proper body.
There's no accounting for taste. A well made, pleasant beer but I'm certainly still wearing my socks.

07-12-2011 14:18:29 | More by 7ate9
DrinkThemAll

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass...Have had this baby before, time to do a review...

A-Pours a very beautiful crystal clear golden orange with a nice 2 finger white frothy head and very nice lacing...

S-Monster aroma here...grapefruit floral hops and orange peel with some sweet pine malt...Smells very good i wanna make out with this beer...

T-Amazing...Sweet grapefruit, bitter, dry and balanced to perfection.Hoppy malts with orange peel and very strong floral notes with pine and just amazing this thing is...

M-Medium bodied perfect carbonation sexy dry hops finish that is just so balanced and refreshing...

O-Their is alot of hype behind this beer...it deserves every last second of it...The most well balance DIPA i have ever had...Just perfect on the flavors and finish...For being 8% and so high on the ibu's its so very refreshing...Not to expensive...Would always have this stocked in my fridge and being in SO-CAL i can lol...

07-12-2011 07:55:20 | More by DrinkThemAll
tjkinate

Nebraska

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like most people who have reviewed this beer, I have been looking forward to this moment for a long time!

A: Golden honey appearance that is almost completely transparent, accompanied by high levels of carbonation during the pour creating a beautiful, slightly off white two finger head that dissolves into intricate lacing surrounding the glass. Not quite a Sculpin, but beautiful none the less.

S: Gotta love those powerful floral hops that are accompanied with subtle hints of grapefruit and pine.

T: Gotta say, the smoothest DIPA I have had to date. It maintains perfect balance between its ingredients and allows each one of them to make their presence without being overpowered by the rest. Perfection!

M: Crisp, clean, medium bodied brew that tingles ever so slightly as it goes down the throat.

O: Incredible brew, IPA's aren't my favorite variety, but I definitely have boughten into the hype and gladly admit this is one of the finest beers ever crafted.

07-12-2011 02:37:04 | More by tjkinate
schmoopsbeer

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Date on bottle: 6-26-11
Poured into Tulip

Color: A dull Golden hay color with hints of honey at the core. Forms a nice two finger white foamy head and it leaves behind some really good lacing.

Nose: A plethora of hops and sweetness that is blended with amazing citrus fruit aromas. You get hints of pine and very mellow caramel. Also evident are the smells of peach and tangerine followed the zesty grapefruit and pineapple.

Palate: The drinkability of this beer is sublime. Wonderfully carbonated and refreshing. This beer is complex on the tongue offering plenty of citrus punch combined by an excellent hop body.The sweetness from the malt in this beer is just right, giving Pliny another level of greatness

Finish: Smooth and soothing. One of the top 3 double IPA's on the market. This beer offers everything an IPA should be and more way more. IT can be a bit dry at the end but nothing to diminish the excellent craftsmanship of this beer

Rating: 97 out 100

07-12-2011 00:59:48 | More by schmoopsbeer
dnrobert24

Alabama

3.88/5  rDev -16.6%

First of all, I love Russian River. I've been looking forward to trying this beer for a long time. Well, the time has come. The beer pours a nice golden orange with a decent head that settles into a thin ring. Aromas are beautiful: Sharp acidic citrus fruit, grapefruit namely, with pine undertones. No doubt this is a west-coast IPA. The hops and malts play nicely with each other on my tongue--dry saltine crackers and oranges with dabs of piney herbs. All-in-all it is an extremely balanced IPA, but at 8% ABV, I'm tasting booze way more than I should be. Unlike some IPAs, I did not regret reaching the end of the glass. Certainly worth seeking out at convenience-store prices, but please don't go mortgaging your home for BA's number 3!

07-11-2011 19:36:26 | More by dnrobert24
Klym

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

A: I'll be damned if this isn't one of the prettiest DIPAs ever brewed. Pours a majestic, clear gold with just enough haze to it to indicate its flavors. The head comes up at just the right pace and slowly drifts down from an attractive two finger to a small but really respectable layer. Lacing all around the glass from where the head previously was. This beer is beautiful, it almost seems fake it looks so good.

S: Pine is all over this with a complex web of tropical fruits and a little citrus sewn into the smells. Really full aroma with some biting power from the hops and pine/resiny smells, but mellowness given to it by the sweetness of the fruits.

T: So nice. Tones of pine/resin/citrus running all over the tongue and following up with a sweet tropical dessert that still pays homage to the original flavors. This is excellent.

M: Whenever I drink this I feel like someone is almost lathering my tongue with the beer then dumping more into the rest of my mouth. It has a really fantastic mouthfeel, and I don't think much complaint can be made about it. This also has done awesome and retaining a consistent mouthfeel and level of carbonation from start to finish in the drink.

O: When I first had Pliny the Elder I actually said I didn't like it (on tap at the brewery). This was no commentary on the quality though, but rather that I had just gotten into craft beer, saw that at the time it was number one on the top 100 of BA, and had such ridiculous expectations that it was only possible for it to disappoint me. Since that time I've had a lot of beers, I've had a lot of IPAs/DIPAs, and returning to it now I can say that this beer is truly fantastic. If you haven't had it, don't panic and trade an arm and a leg for it because it's not going to destroy your world but definitely get it because it will deliver you a top notch, as-good-as-it-gets DIPA experience.

07-11-2011 04:09:32 | More by Klym
jmich24

4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottled 6-3-11. Five weeks new.

Poured into Duvel Tulip

A: Bright, fairly clear with faint hop haze, golden in color with bright orange hues. One finer off white head. Sticky lacing. Cap never goes away.
S: Sweet citrus, orange grapefruit, tropical fruits. Some pine.
T: Starts and finishes hoppy. Citrus, tropical fruits some pine. Great resinous lingering bitterness. Finishes Dry.
M: Smooth, medium body well hidden 8% ABV.
O: This was one of those beers being from Michigan that has a huge "rare" reputation. This one did not disappoint. Smooth, hoppy, lots of citrus and tropical fruits. 8% ABV is very well hidden although is easily detected as it warms still very drinkable. Outstanding!

07-11-2011 02:19:17 | More by jmich24
litheum94

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at the brewery.

Brilliant amber body that sparkles in the light. Big frothy white head that leaves beautiful lacing.

Grapefruit, pine and slight ganja. Biscuit and Carmel malts. Nice floral bouquet as well.

Juicy grapefruit, carmel malts and loads and loads of pine bitterness. Floral and spicy as well. Great lingering bitterness.

There is nothing better than having a Pliny on the patio of RR on a beautiful Santa Rosa day. Phenomenal beer.

07-10-2011 20:06:01 | More by litheum94
Dieseljaxx

Kansas

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

This is one of my favorite beers. I recently had an opportunity to try it on tap at the Russian River Brewery in downtown Santa Rosa and it didn't disappoint. IPA's tend to be my favorite type and this is a fantastic example of a strong American style double IPA. It has a hoppy, citrusy aroma with a bright clean taste that is perfect for sipping on a hot summer day. This is a beer that I could drink everyday.

07-10-2011 02:02:45 | More by Dieseljaxx
OPWN3NTSL4Y3R

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottled on 05/26/2011/ Poured into Silver Rimmed Chimay Chalice

A- Light honey/amber color, white 2 finger head that fades into intricate lacing

S- Grapefruit and pine, sweet pale malts, BIG aroma hops

T- Lots of aromatic fresh hops flavor, pine, citrus rind, bitter hops present but balanced by sweetness of the malts

M- Medium/Full bodied, starts wet w/ light carbonation, finishes dry leaving slight bitter taste of fresh hops on the tongue

O- No real flaws to point out, very satisfying and easy to drink. Well balanced, bitter, piney, grapefruit, hoppy, deliciousness that you want in a west coast DIPA.

07-08-2011 22:56:48 | More by OPWN3NTSL4Y3R