Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,481
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
ClassicBrad

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Finally got my hands on a bottle of this after having it a handful of times at beer festivals. Bottled on Jan 24, 2011 and reviewed on February 9, 2011.

Pours a straw gold to sunburn orange into a Duvel tulip with a sticky head that laces very well down the glass.

Smells of sweet, citrus Simcoe and Centennial hops and more hops. This is everything I hope for when cracking into an IPA. So refreshing and crisp!

Mouthfeel is very bright. Refreshing and crisp. A gentle swirl causes a real eruption of head. Carbonation compliments this beer very well.

8%? You don't say. Just give me more.

All in all, everything its supposed to be. This has become the holy grail of hops. Glad to see this hype is well deserved. Very seldom do I have such a flawless, clean IPA with such a brilliant marriage of bitterness and sweetness.

02-10-2011 00:45:25 | More by ClassicBrad
hopburster

Washington

As you can see, almost 2,00 people have eloquently described the qualities of this world class ale. Rather than adding another description, I will just say that this is a beer you must try if you love well-balanced, hoppy beers.

I've been drinking West Coast craft beer for more than 25 years and I've probably drank most of the the top-rated West Coast IPAs/DIPAs out there...Pliny is right there at the top of my list---believe the hype.

02-09-2011 04:33:17 | More by hopburster
SmilinMofo

Indiana

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance: Golden and a little hazy.

Smell: Pine and grapefruit burst from the glass.

Taste: At first I was not getting as much a I thought I should be getting from this caliber of a beer. After letting it sit in my glass for about twenty minutes it began open up. The hops were crisp and clean and reinforced why this brew is one of the top Imperial IPA's. The freshness of the hops on my palate really surprised me.

Mouthfeel: The bitterness of the hops made the side of my mouth sweat like they would if I were to have been drinking a really dry cab. The bitterness transformed into sweetness with the finish.

Drinkability: Great beer. Remember to drink this one at the right temp, so you can truly enjoy this great brew.

02-09-2011 03:53:03 | More by SmilinMofo
oysterchef

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

What can I say about this ale that hasn't previously been mentioned? Let me start by stating that I am a Chef. For years I have been writing menus and creating dishes around a wine list...so I guess I sort of understand flavor pairings. When it comes to beer, I am still a novice. Pliny is a perfect shellfish pair along the lines of a great Sauvignon Blanc. Many citrus aftertones, especially those of Ruby grapefruit and yuzu.Would work well with sashimi, crudos and ceviche. Can't wait to get my hands on more elder and hopefully get to taste the younger

02-09-2011 00:40:31 | More by oysterchef
palma

4.65/5  rDev 0%

This is truly one of the best double ipas on the planet. Might even be number 1.
Two charateristics that really stand out to me are the mouthfeel and drinkability.

Mouthfeel is light and airy yet still chewy. It's just a perfect balance. amazing that a liquid can even act like this. where's the physicist. Its rare that a mouthfeel of a beer makes you keep wanting another sip (usually its the flavor), but this beer is a clear exception.

Drinkability is off the chart. This beer drinks like an english bitter. Pliny = session beer? not at 8%, but it sure drinks like one. This beer is going down like my favorite ESB.

Its not the taste or aroma of this beer that intrigues me so much, but rather the unique mouthfeel and incredible drinkability. The other aspects (appearance, smell, taste) are only close to exceptional.

hophead, or no hophead - seek this beer out.

02-08-2011 06:43:46 | More by palma
KevinBrewer

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

A- Clear copper with a billowy off-white head that dissipates rather quickly, but sticks to the glass fairly well.

N- Herbal, resinous hops with a touch of grapefruit and tropical fruit. Underneath, subtle caramel malt provides a nice balance.

T- Luscious herbal, fruity, piny, resinous hops blanket a strong toasty malt backbone. Citrus accents brighten your mood instantly. The complexity of the hops is pretty amazing. Perfectly balanced toasty sweetness with a smooth but firm hop bitterness. Aftertaste of resinous pine and toasty grain. I cannot taste the slightest hint of alcohol. Very well done.

M- The mouthfeel is perfect for the taste of this beer. The taste is full and chewy, but it has a medium body with a stickiness that keeps me coming back for more.

D- This could easily be a chugger if not for the alcohol. I tend to drink this beer in huge gulps and wait for the lengthy aftertaste to subside before taking the next.

02-08-2011 05:45:04 | More by KevinBrewer
trenchtown4

4.3/5  rDev -7.5%

I was extremely excited to try this beer, i had to bribe a co-worker to bring it back from CA for me. Drank it on 01/07/11, bottled on 12/17/10 so the hops were there in full force. For the build up to trying this, I was some what let down. The hops were bright and powerful, but I felt it lacked a malt backbone. I do enjoy west coast IPA's, but I just felt the beer wasn't balanced enough for all of the hype. I know that is sacrilege on here, but that's how I feel, personally I prefer a more malt balanced DIPA, like a DFH 90 min or Lagunitas Hop Stoopid. Overall it was a good beer, but not at the level I had been reading.

02-07-2011 22:36:19 | More by trenchtown4
hopmonkey

It is exceedingly rare that something lives up to the hype and expectations that spread like germs across the internets. So a bigtime bravo goes to Russian River (and its reviewers) for something that managed to exceed my own unreasonably high expectations.

The general characteristics have already been described much better than I know how. Suffice to say, however, that I dislike the west coast IPAs that try to outhop each other and end up with a bitter mess. Pliny is so well-balanced; the hops so delicate but powerful at the same time; and the finish so bracing but not bitter that it is easy to call this one of the best (if not the best) beers I have ever had.

02-07-2011 19:32:49 | More by hopmonkey
Stinkypuss

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to Owsley069 for this one.

Appearance: Poured from a slender pint bottle into a Piraat glass. Soapy, long lasting head. Decent clarity on a deep golden body. Nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

Smell: Pleasing hoppy aroma, pine, grapefruit and some malty bready note. As it warms it has a fruit snack smell. Sweet hops.

Taste: A nice mix of different hop flavors. Pine, grapefruit, pineapple and resin. Malt body carries the hops well, but the citrusy hop flavor drains it out. Juicy and a bit drying. Nice hop bite. After the final sip I immediately became depressed.

Mouthfeel: Light/medium bodied. Crisp drying finish.

Drinkability: A fine double IPA. Worthy of being sipped and savored. My first Russian River brew, would love to try more from this brewery. Similar to a Nugget Nectar.

02-06-2011 19:51:30 | More by Stinkypuss
hickmancase

4.25/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle from luck at Total Wine.

A: Sticky. Innocent looking for what it is. Two finger head.

S: Bright. Hoppy. Strongly present but not overpowering.

T: Like smell. Unique IPA flavor.

M: Sticky. Syrupy but not thick. Perfect carbonation.

D: Delicious IPA. Were it not for the lack of availability, this would be the go to IPA.

Still an IPA.

9/10

02-04-2011 23:36:15 | More by hickmancase
CruisaC

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Many thanks to bay cat for hooking me up with a super-fresh bottle for my first Pliny

Bottled 1/24/11---I don't think it's possible to get it much fresher here in Cincinnati

Pours a nice light golden copper with about an inch of off-white head

Smells of grapefruit, hops, pine trees...I'm not adding anything new here

Taste is mild bitter hops without much sweetness. Some citrus minus the sugar of a Hopslam. Very clean aftertaste without much lingering bitterness which is a plus for someone like me (who ranks IPA/DIPA as probably their 5th favorite style)

Nice soft carbonation that clears nicely and implores you to take another sip

This is a quality brew--no doubt. You don't need my review or opinion to know that. I am certainly glad I've had the opportunity to try this beer and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can think of other beers in my cellar I'd go to before this one which is part of the problem with IPAs for me--I don't want to feel rushed to drink them. This one was as fresh as it gets but I might have saved it for another night, a special occasion, etc. I guess the special occasion was tonight--lucky me.

02-04-2011 00:53:29 | More by CruisaC
julian

Washington

4.4/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bout time I review this beer...

Bottled on 01/12/11 - Here we go!

A: pours an amazingly clear pale copper color. Nice white head that builds up slowly but more than adequately and lasts.

S: Grapefruit BLAST, pine. hop resin.

T: This is not for the faint of heart. The hoppy bitterness of this beer doesn't phase me anymore (nor others of its style) but for the uninitiated, this would be swallowing a hop grenade. Nevertheless I can think anyone can appreciate the clean hoppy flavor in this beer. It's resiny and highly hoppy up front, lots of pine, a little citrus grapefruit in the middle and finishes rather smooth leaving little to no bitterness on the tongue, which lends me to believe there's enough malt in here to balance it out. Very nice.

M: Nicely carbonated, clean, crisp, refreshing. Pretty much what you'd expect from this style, and a beer of this caliber.

D: I could drink a few, heh.

Notes: someone else mentioned this as well, but the minimalist labeling is dope. I dig the whole minimalist movement, and am a minimalist at heart. Just goes to show you, you don't need a multi-billion dollar marketing budget to sell your beer when you are making good beer to begin with.

02-03-2011 04:59:07 | More by julian
Hellabeerguzzler

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

FIRST THANK YOU Ktown67 for the threesome of Plinys!

Fairly non-descript label telling you not once, not twice, but at least 10 times NOT to age this beer. This bottle is no more than a few weeks old - fresh enough for me.

The pour of this beer was perfect. Light carbonation gave it's IIPA amber color a beautiful thick head and some bubblies as well. The beer isn't crystal clear but not murky at all. The head settles leaving behind some lacing. It's beautiful and I want to drink this right now. So I will.

The smell is beautiful hops. Oh, the hops. Not since Hopslam has a beer been so beautifully fragrant with piney hops (more so than Hopslam), a little citrus, grassy, earthy. Sort of like filtering a bucket of grapefruit juice through a earthy burlap sack full of fresh lawn clippings and spruce branches. Delightful. Head is still present as well as lacing.

The taste is way hop forward so make sure you like your hops. For me though, it was not nearly all just hops. There's enough going on there that keeps you interested in taking another bite. It's a little chewy and I sense... is that caramel? Brown sugar? Who cares. It's delicious. My other favorites in this category have some flavoring added to offset the bitterness of the hops but this beer seems to do well without anything really noticeable. Very well done.

Mouthfeel is perfectly nice, not gummy, oily, or palate destroying. It's hoppy, it's flavorful, it's bubbly, it's excellent.

Drinkability is good as described in the mouth, it's very drinkable and I don't expect to have any left in an hour.

I scored this as high as I could in all categories while leaving some room for improvement but good luck trying to do that. I was expecting to be not bowled over after the previous reviews but the rating reflects this ale accurately. Superb.

02-03-2011 01:16:11 | More by Hellabeerguzzler
wmthorne

Tennessee

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

poured into a chimay snifter on a recent trip to California. Lucky that bristol farms held me a few bottles out after I called before visiting.

I have looked forward to sampling this for some time. It has the perfect amount of fresh hops and carbonation. I did not sit on this Pliny.

This brew is worthy of its exceptional rating and I look forward to quaffing more on my next trip. The grapefruit/citrus taste from the hops is exceptional.

Drink this beer!

02-02-2011 23:33:35 | More by wmthorne
aepb1

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Part of a tasting hosted by vapodge, many thanks my friend!

A- Golden translucent body that I think is glowing with magical powers, white foamy head

S- Piney, citrusy hops! Very potent

T- Grapefruity hops! Very hoppy, a bit more hops, and then some hops in there. There is a bit of bready malt in there but not a whole lot. Mostly different waves of hops. Citric, minty, piney, grassy, etc

M- Medium bodied, sticky, good level of carbonation and oily from the hops

D- Very good beer. One of the best labels I've seen and I will certainly seek it out again

02-02-2011 16:10:58 | More by aepb1
HipHop5

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Very pleasant light orange golden color. My nose gets a good freak out as the cap pops out. Poured, it shouts out loud the fragrances of a typical west coast style DIPA. Mango,Pineapple, super fresh citrus and pine resin blend in with the light body of this, extremely smooth 8% masterpiece.
A ray of sunshine lighten up the room every time I can relive this magical moment. The brewery in Santa Rosa will not impress you with the food or decor, but a fresh Pliny of the brewpub's tap will blow your sucks off for sure. The best way is fresh here.
Reasonably priced for being so expensive to brew. The fact that it is still difficult to get in CA shows that there is no compromise made by the Russian River brewing company. All about quality not quantity. Well done .

Serving type: growler

02-02-2011 06:28:52 | More by HipHop5
robbrandes

Oregon

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

What more can be added to the well-deserved impeccable reputation of Pliny? No beer has ever burned such a clear first impression in my mind.

From the first pour, the warm orange glow, wonderful head, the perfect blend of pine-citrus-alcohol aromas blasting out of the glass....

And that first taste. Is it possible to have so many competing tastes complement each other? Yes. The malt-alcohol-pine-citrus-on-and-on balance is sublime.

If you're a beer-lover, this is a must. If you're an IIPA-lover, this is the holy grail.

02-02-2011 05:41:33 | More by robbrandes
paulozanello

Brazil

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Have been looking forward to this moment for a while...my first Pliny!

It pours a translucent light orange and golden color with a nice white head showing good retention and lacing.

Smell is lots of citrus grapefruit, tangerine and some piney. I also get faint sweet malt presence as the beer warms up. Very balanced aroma.

Taste has lots of grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple and piney! Bitterness follows but it is always light and delicate. Nice lingering hop aftertaste complements the fruity hop character.

Mouthfeel is extremely smooth and light for the abv. It really feels like a 5% beer. Stellar drinkability.

Does it live to the hype? Sorta. I'm amazed by the mouthfeel and drinkability, definitely perfect in that aspect, but Ive had better hop profiles in the nose and taste. I guess it is a matter of personal preferences at this point. Glad I had this beer and would most definitely have it again, wish it was easier and cheaper to get it here on the east coast.

02-02-2011 01:39:46 | More by paulozanello
mondegreen

Georgia

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml Bottle into a Founders Balloon Tulip. Bottle dated 01/12/11. Consumed 02/01/11.

After a voyage across America, this beer is finally in my glass. It has seen more states in the past week than some people do in a lifetime, traveling by ground from California to Illinois to Georgia. Thankfully, it's cold outside, so I'm not worried about it sitting hot. Big thanks to the trader that sent me this now-legendary DIPA.

Pours a crystal clear amber orange with a frothy white cap. As the head slowly falls, it leave gorgeous lacing on my tulip. This beer is beautiful. I love a cloudy, raw IPA as much as anyone, but Pliny shows he is pure with a transparent yet bright body.

Nose strikes a gorgeous hoppy balance. I get elements of all that is right with hops - fresh citrus, bright pine, and a slight rich of dank earth. A masterful display of hops.

The taste is big and hoppy while maintaining a slight balance. A hint of sweetness in the middle with a dry, lingering finish.

Smooth as can be, this beer shows a love of the craft. Those who can get this off the shelf are lucky souls. The DIPA category is chock full of good beers, and I've had a handful that are as good as what's in my glass now. That said, I've never had one better, and I'm glad I had the chance to savor this icon of American Craft Brewing.

02-02-2011 00:29:44 | More by mondegreen
Beerme5

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -12.9%

Finally got my hands on a few bottles from John's Marketplace in Portland. Upon opening, the smell of fruit wafted out. The hops hadn't quite opened yet. It poured a hazy, golden orange. Tons of sediment and carbonation present. Upon pouring, this really opened up the nose with lots of grapefruit and apricot. The first few sips were heavy with apricot and citrus, but the back end packs a good hop bite. As the beer warmed up, the hops were more prominent, and the beer kept good head retention. I was surprised at how fruity this beer was, but how it balanced out so beautifully with the hops. Will definitely reach for another if given the chance.

02-01-2011 17:01:46 | More by Beerme5
tvault

Georgia

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Got this beer about 2 weeks old so still fresh. Looking forward to drinking some. I plan on getting a few more soon. Was as good as promised...

A - Copper with 1 finger of white head

S - Very floral lot of hops

T - Great IPA

M - very drinkable

D - Could not stop drinking

01-31-2011 21:05:37 | More by tvault
letsgopens

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

One of my big, hyped holdouts. Finally got my hands on some, so here we go... Bottled on 12/13/10. Pours a crystal clear orange gold with some bright golden highlights. The head is moderate in size and appears bubbly and soapy. A few sparse wisps and chunks of lace stick around behind.

The pungent aroma is evident even before I get it to my nose. Giant, bold hops: citrus and tropical fruits. Grapefruit, pineapple and resinous, sticky pine. Sweet, dry and lots of floral notes. Very overmatched, faint, toasty grain. Oily citrus zest mixed with pine leaves a lingering impression. Lusciously hoppy.

Tons of resinous pine and bright, sweet/bitter/tangy citrus. Grapefruit zest and pith along with lots of floral, piney hops. Just a hint of raw, toasted, grainy malt. Some residual sweetness blends nicely with the sticky, icky hops and citrus character. Bright and really crisp initially then quickly developing to another dimension of sticky lingering bitterness. Some peppery booze makes an appearance with the pleasantly, palate numbing bitterness. A faint note of unripened peach as it warms. Very much like Blind Pig, the unique nature of the carbonation really accentuates the mountain of hop character and creates a whole new dimension of flavor.

Again, like the Blind Pig, the flavor elements are phenomenal but what puts this brew in the 'World Class' category as far as I'm concerned is the unique and particularly well crafted mouthfeel. Very well controlled carbonation levels and bubble texture helps to expertly meld the hops, faint grains and booze notes in to a hop-forward masterpiece.

Drinkability is certainly above average for the style, mostly because of the mellowness of the still present booze notes. Despite the hype around this one, I'm attempting to be objective but for obvious reasons, having difficulty; I can't help but measure how it stacks up to the all-time DIPAs. I'll start by saying it absolutely does not disappoint. An excellently crafted brew to be sure. With that being said, I wouldn't go far as to say that it's head and shoulders above the rest. It's definitely in the mix though.

Elder's selling point for me is its amazing use hop essence while not being obnoxiously overpowering, cloying, or outrageously boozy once it warms. The mouthfeel is unbelievable and it satisfies a hopheads every desire. Certainly worth seeking out.

Although my bottle is only approximately a month old, I look forward to the opportunity of trying an even fresher sample on tap as I hear the freshest Elder is above and beyond.

01-31-2011 19:11:37 | More by letsgopens
nezelrac

4.1/5  rDev -11.8%

A - pours a copper-orange with 1 finger of fine bead white head; dissipates quickly leaving a little lacing

S - west coast IPA hops; very fresh; very floral/citrus/pine with a hop-funk note in the back; hints of bread and malt

T - hops front to back; good bitterness; malt is an afterthought; very long finish; hops get spicy at the end

M - despite minimal head, the CO2 is excellent; very smooth with enough malt to carry the hops and give it some body

D - a very drinkable IPA; not session-able - just a bit too big

01-31-2011 18:31:18 | More by nezelrac
ChanChan

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled on 12-28-2010
Served on a Beatles glass mug.
Appearance: This beer is a cloudy orange with a big fluffy head. The lacing is good but not impressive.
Smell: Somewhere between Grapefruit, Melon and Pineapple.
Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but pleasantly creamy.
Taste: Again, as with the aroma, this beer is very fruity, but with a good amount of bitterness. The finish is very long....I get honeydew melon and pineapple.
Drinkability: Generally, I don't care for any form of IPA's, nevertheless, I think this beer is very pleasant. It definitely lives up to its hype. At first I thought it would be like any other Double IPA but this beer is certainly unique; it is one of the best tasting beers I have ever had. I just wish it were more available.

01-31-2011 16:23:07 | More by ChanChan
ColdPoncho

3.95/5  rDev -15.1%

Bottled on 11/22/10

A- cloudy light orange with a little bit of floaties. Small white head. Looks ok.

S - pine! And bitter. I don't know if there's much else. But it's a really good pine scent.

T - this is really tasty. A nice crisp hoppy pine flavor not mind blowing, but very tasty.

M - thin for the style. Not bad but its not quite up to what I expect.

D - it's pretty good to drink. Perhaps a bit too dry, but it's ok.

01-31-2011 04:19:22 | More by ColdPoncho