Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,320
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -21.9%

Very fresh bottle acquired in a trade, reviewed from notes.

It pours a hazy yellow orange with lots of white head and heavy lacing.

The smell is pine, citrus, and caramel wound together. The effervesence died as time passed.

The taste was pine, citrus fruit, a bit of light crystal or Maris Otter malt sweetness and some floral remnants on the palate.

Mouthfeel was good, it washed off the palate quickly and had medium carbonation.

With as much of a hop bill as this beer has, my guess is that everything is put in the last 15 minutes of the boil or so. I, disappointedly, did not get any of the enjoyable bruising bitterness indicative of a 250 calculated ibu beer. Great, but not worth the hype, certainly not a top 5 in the world ipa.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a solidly beautiful orange with a slightly off white head.

The aroma is brilliant. Bright pine on the nose complemented perfectly by a floral citrus background. It's the perfectly balanced aroma for me that brings out all the major characteristics of an ipa. Grapefruit, pine,

Bitter attack with an undercurrent of spicy pine. I get some orangey notes as well. Finish is dry. There's also an oily hoppy character to the finish that lingers. I made my brother my brother (usually a bud light drinker) try modus hoperandi once, he said it was like drinking hops, this is similar but its got a complementary maltiness that stands up well to the deep hoppiness.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, stands up well to the hoppy assertiveness of this beer. Any less body and the hops would totally overwhelm. Instead, the body makes this ipa practically ideal.

So I'm really missing Michigan brews in California, but goddamn this guy really helps me get through the homestatebeersickness. Definitely gonna make a trip up for the Younger in February, don't really know how to improve on the elder but I guess if anyone can do it it's gotta be RR.

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a few bottles of this when I was in Seattle, fresh off of the delivery truck!

A - Golden yellow with a significant head, heavy lacing on the glass

S - Pine and citrus dominate the nose

T - Well balanced. Significant pine and citrus tastes and even grassy flavors. Can hardly taste the alcohol.

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

Overall this is definately a great DIPA and I enjoyed in immensely. I will say I think it is over-hyped though. I have had several DIPA's that are just as good if not better. Definately a can't miss though!

4.44/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

first had this in PA 3 years ago - struck me as unique: light gold in color, very crisp, very dry, like hopped champagne... fast forward to recently - second and third times trying it: at Monk's Cafe in Philly and at Russian River 3 weeks later - both tasted virtually identical yet quite different from that first time - could've been a hoax, although they had 3 other RR beers that first day which all matched up in later tastings.... anyway.... my thoughts on the recent sips....

A: suntanned orange-peel hue, faint turbid hop haze, looks unfiltered...thick pad of dense, cottony foam, decent cling in broad bands

S: fragrant dried orange peel, orange creme, maybe papaya muddled with mint, fresh cut flowers.... mostly hops.... the esters and alcohol are either absent or woven well within... malt does seem to come in later as a bit angel-food-cakey, but mellow

T: solid, bold, yet smooth flavors, but nothing unique.... just a tight construct that is memorable for just that - the flavors stand out, have more of a refined definition than most contemporaries, not a mess.... the spicy-orange-y hops, just the right balance of pungency and bitterness, neither really aggressive... the alcohol, mellow and far in the background, no heat or even that much warmth.... I happen to be a malt fiend, yet I'm perfectly at ease with the sugar-cookie malt just quiet and in excellent balance, just along for the ride, no syrupy or sweet sugary flavors

M: not as dry as the first time (man, was that wonderful!) - in fact, this came off with a more rounded malt body, though still pretty damn pillowy/feathery.... this just had a faded wash while the other one snapped off taking some saliva with it... really, it curious how a lot of breweries just don't understand that this style needs to be nearly crazy dry.... they do well here

O: I'm sure it was a revelation back in the day, but I can't help but feel I've had more interesting, (personally) enjoyable double IPAs.... on its own though, it's an indisputably solidly-rendered strong hoppy beer.... I'd definitely put it up there with the best and feel inclined to re-test it again and again to further shape my opinion (Bbb, May 2013)

2.5/5  rDev -46.2%

3.85/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just don't get the hype. There are plenty of other IPA's out there that I would rather drink. I wouldn't turn it down but having a choice I'd try something else. At 8% I want a little more body. I love the smell but the taste doesn't really follow through for me.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company