Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,498
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Mubbly

4.4/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured into a St. Bernardus glass.

Golden amber color with a good head. Some lacing.

The nose is strong grapefruit, sweet, spicy, and floral.

Enters the mouth with a carbonation tingle, followed by bitter grapefruit. Bitterness lingers in the mouth like DARK chocolate - very nice. Good hop fix here.

Medium mouthfeel. Dry and refreshing.

This is really easy to drink; depth of flavor and smell keep this interesting.

Fantastic beer from my home state. My wife shared this bomber with me, and enjoyed it, but I didn't want to share. Whatever. PtE is a great beer, respected by even the casual beer drinker because of the complexities of smell and flavor. Well polished and loved by all! :)

Would love to have one of these beauts with a meaty and greasy pizza...

08-03-2010 00:39:52 | More by Mubbly
uustal

Rhode Island

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Pours a light orange with a pearl white head. Good retention and the lacing is unbelievable. Great looking DIPA. Strong floral and citrus hop aroma, very enjoyable. This one is for hop lovers. Floral, citrus (predominately grapefruit) strong hop flavor off the bat. Followed by a strong pine and spicy hop. All the hops are incredibly balanced and showcased. A bready, semi-sweet malt shines through near completion before finishing with another kick of strong pine hops. Awesome job balancing the big flavors.

07-31-2010 04:15:15 | More by uustal
rand

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Russian River Pliny the Elder

From bottle to pint glass

Bottled 06/30/10, consumed 07/10

A: Pours a cloudy, golden tan with a one inch, off-white head. Lacing is present but not overly sticky and most of it dissipates after a few seconds, tracing the glass with small, circular islands.

S: Spicy, piny hops amongst a citrus backdrop. The bouquet of scent is strong and almost overwhelms the nose. This beer can easily be distinguished from a small sniff.

T: Pliny the Elder unleashes an avalanche of flavors, which starts with vibrant, spicy-hop bitterness and a citrusy, orange-grapefruit sweetness. This is a very hoppy beer, but sweetbread-like malts so perfectly balance the hop bite that a singular flavor forms. This combines with alcohol overtones, especially as the pint warms. Notes of lemon zest, mint and honey can also be detected (the honey also becomes more distinguishable as the beer warms). Because of the bitter-sweet balance, the aftertaste doesn't linger, finishing dry and leaving your palate clean and refreshed.

M: If the tight carbonation and large foamy head weren't enough of a clue, the tiniest sip will leave little doubt that this is one oily-rich IPA. The beer feels thick and rich and viscous on the tongue, but the light carbonation carries away any residue, leaving the finish perfectly clean.

D: As mentioned, the combination of bitter hops and sweet malts is perfectly balanced (I mean PERFECTLY) leaving the 8% alcohol an afterthought. Dangerously drinkable. As drinkable as any session beer you might have a sentimental attachment to, but too high in alcohol and hard to acquire to become a regular "party beer". The full flavors with little lingering aftertaste make this as drinkable as soda, and also make PtE great to experiment and couple with a wide range of food.

There's no question this ale lives up to the hype. I've been drinking PtE for some time and it's evolved into its own, trademarked "Pliny Flavor" on my palate, so I really had to sit down and notice the nuances, which are many. One of the most striking things about this brew is, as mentioned, the perfect harmony of bitter and sweet. Truly one of the most balanced ales in existence, and a brew that beer geeks and novices alike will find delicious, even on the first sip. One of the best beers on the planet and the standard-bearer for DIPA.

07-30-2010 10:18:49 | More by rand
chiefgtx

4.93/5  rDev +6%

My New Years resolution for 2010 was to drink as many different beers as I could possibly find. So Far so good. I have had 597 different beers from January 1st at noon until today July 30th and Pliny The Elder is by far my favorite. A friend in California has managed to get me not 1 but 2 of these to Massachusetts (thanks Sue!) and I can honestly say that this beer makes me want to move to California. The Aroma will hit your nose from two feet away as soon as you pop the cap. Grapefruity and inviting. If you have ever eaten something so delicious that you find yourself craving it weeks later...well....you know where I'm going. I have read reviews knocking this hoppy delight and reviews praising it. My opinion after almost 600 different beers in 7 months is...get one ...drink one....it really is an outstanding beer. There's Filet Mignon...There's Dom Perignon...and looking down on both of them is Pliny The Elder.

07-30-2010 04:35:08 | More by chiefgtx
glazeman

4.15/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a snifter. Bottled on 7/5/2010, split with airohead2001. I had this one time on tap in Portland, Oregon, but this review is strictly from the bottle

A: Golden straw color, in general I like my DIPAs a little more amber or orange than this. Nice one finger white head. Moderate retention, Excellent lacing

S; Intense smelling beer, but not all that complex as I get mostly pine, with a little bit of floral notes in there.

T: Lots of pine throughout. Nice balance though, as it is not overly bitter until the after taste, then you get a hit of the hop bitterness. Other than pine, there is a tiny bit of grapefruit. In fact, to be honest, I didn't get much citrus, but there's some malty sweetness at the beginning that mellows this out a bit up front. I would characterize the malt profile as light syrup. The hops though, are really the star here and are quite good.

M: Very nice mouth feel. A little more than average carbonation for a DIPA but it works well here as it gives the beer some crispness in the otherwise medium body.

D: Excellent. This would be a great beer to have with dinner and goes down smooth and easy. Not a top 10 beer in my opinion, but very good, and a must try.

07-30-2010 01:27:32 | More by glazeman
airohead2001

4.15/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The DIPA of DIPAs - one I've had several times before, but have never taken the time to review. This one is fresh - bottled 07/05/10 - courtesy of glazeman.

A - Slightly hazy, yellow, orange with a one finger head that soon fades to a few bubbles that line the rim of my pseudo-snifter. Excellent lacing that coats the walls of the glass. This is a bit lighter looking than many DIPAs, but overall, this is a nice looking beer.

S - The nose on this one is sort of disappointing. Smells great, but is very non-descriptive to me. I get a little bit of mango and grapefruit, but that's about it. Some citrus and piney hops - but not intense enough for me to be part of the "explosive floral and mango hops" team.

T - This is where Pliney shines. It's easy to be let down by a beer that has so much hype, but honestly, I am not let down at all. This beer just about has it all - a blend of citrus and piney hops through out with a harsh, cutting bitter finish, right before we get a taste of the oranges again at the very end.

M - Again, Pliney excels in mouthfeel. Less carbonated than many DIPAs - as the brew first enters your mouth, it is flat as can be, but manages a copious amount of bubbles that bring out the fresh, juicy, hops right before it heads for your belly.

D - Very drinkable. I split this with glazeman, but easily could have downed a bottle or two on my own. Smooth, crisp, and no EtOH burn. I wish this one was closer to home - thank God for beer shipments from the west coast...

07-30-2010 01:23:51 | More by airohead2001
bigfnjoe

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a bottle into a Chimay goblet. Bottled on 6/30/10.

A- pours a crystal clear shade of orange with a one finger pure white head. Lacing is very good.

S- strong, beautiful citrus and tropical hops. I think I'm actually getting some mango out of it too...absolutely amazing.

T- fantastic tropical fruit hops with a nice finish of that piney bitterness. I'm also getting some pepper and maybe a little spice in here...the balance is amazing.

M- feel is great...thick while not being syrupy, thin while not being watery.

D- goes down sooo smooth. Amazing beer

07-29-2010 20:09:32 | More by bigfnjoe
pmlondrigan

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Big big respect to Spdkilz (Carleton) for being such a great BA!! Pliny bottled on 07/05/10. I'd say this pours honey orange with a great poofy white head that sticks around for a while. After that head fades it leaves a fare amount of lacing around the sides of my Duvel tulip glass. The hop aroma coming off of this beer is something I've never experianced. It is like I am sticking my head in the hop fridge at my home brew supply store. 1st resinous piny hops, then citrus and grapefruit huge aroma. The taste is a hop assault. The malt profile is just so that it allows the hops to shine. Bitter, citrusy, fruity and sprucy/piny and oh so good. I think this is the 1st beer I've given 2 5.0 ratings too. The mouthfeel is what I would expect from an ipa. Yes folks pliny is great, but whether I could drink more then 2 of these guys is another story so a little lower score for drinkability. Man this is some great beer.

07-29-2010 01:41:38 | More by pmlondrigan
pitasoup

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

A: pours clear golden yellow with a bit of white head. The clarity is wonderful.

S: Smells of piney hops, slightly floral and a touch of spruce.

T: Clean malts are quickly overpowered by pine resin and faint floral hops.

M: Smooth body and clean finish.

D: Probably my favorite aspect of this beer, it is extremely drinkable for a DIPA. Well balanced and a great representation of the style. The hops are clear and purposeful but not overwhelming or muddled in any way.

bottled on 6.30.10, drink mid-july.

07-28-2010 20:11:17 | More by pitasoup
jsanford

Georgia

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured into my Duvel tulip, bottles on 6/8/10

A - Pours a slightly hazy honey color with 2 fingers of a sudsy off-white head that leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Wet, piney hops, not unlike walking through a forest after a thunderstorm. Grapefruit and lemon. Has a slight ganja quality to it ;)

T - More BIG grapefruit and pine resin with a mild biscuit malt backbone and a subtle honey sweetness. Amazingly balanced for such a hop-bomb, this is truly world-class!

M - Very smooth and creamy with a great crispness that can't be beat. Carbonation is nice and perky, the bubbles do their dance on your tongue.

D - Amazing drinkability, this bottle disappeared quickly. There's a reason there's so much hype for this beer, it's easily one of the best DIPAs on the planet. Wish it was easier to get in Georgia.

07-28-2010 04:45:26 | More by jsanford
CONOR8832

This is truly one of the greatest IPA's I have ever tasted!

A - If you can imagine what a million dollars lokks like in a glass, that is what this beer looks like, beautiful golden honey color with just the right amount of head.

S - (pour in sniffer glass) The expolosion of hops, hops, and more hops, slightly citrusy, fresh clean grassy aroma about it.

T - Your palate explodes with the hopiness of the beer at first sip and then it is tamed by a slight smoothness that leaves your mouth watering for another mouthfull of hops. Great combination of flavors in the beer. It is like a magic trick, hoppy bitterness at first then it finishes extremely smooth.

M - Good clean smooth feeling, quite refreshing.

D - A must for any IPA drinker, drink one or two and you will see what I am talking about. Enjoy and be glad.

07-26-2010 18:29:38 | More by CONOR8832
semibaked

Kentucky

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to bierenutz for the great birthday gift.

A - Pours a very nice hazy apricot/honey color with an inch or so of slightly tan head and leaves top notch lacing all over the glass.

S - Big citrusy hop aroma, hop bitterness, honey type sweetness, pineapple, grapefruit, and it is just really great smelling.

T - The hoppy bitterness hits first, then the honey sweetness, and grapefruit. Very well balanced!

M - Smooth and creamy mouthfeel, good carbonation and pretty luxurious in the mouth.

D - Ya this is damn good stuff but most people already know that already. Pliny is just delicious, plain and simple. Drink one NOW!

07-24-2010 00:42:14 | More by semibaked
Arbitrator

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Yes, I'm reviewing this a third time, this time out of a growler. Why not?

Growler filled on 7/18. Refrigerated since then and opened 7/22.

A: Pours a clear golden-amber body with 4 fingers of off-white head. Great retention and tremendous lacing. Clings to the glass with ferocity. I honestly can't picture a better head, better lacing, and better retention for a DIPA. Top marks.

S: Pine to the max. Kind of a wet pine needle aroma with an undercurrent of citrus. It's not as pungent as I remember, though not lacking in aroma.

T: A weed-like, pine-needle flavor sets the tone. There's a biscuit malt flavor that provides just enough contrast, but the one-two of pine and citrus is too much for the malt backbone. Grapefruit, lemon, some orange. The only thing that stops it from getting a perfect 5.0 is that Vinnie brews a better IIPA (Pliny the Younger) and of course, Citra has moved in.

M: Drier than some of the big DIPAs I've been drinking lately. I don't know why I used to call this beer balanced; even for a DIPA, it's really not. Not a ton of malt or residual sugar or presence: just a hop delivery vehicle. At the same time, what sugars there are mask the alcohol pretty well. Great carbonation: very cleansing.

D: I'm on course to finish a full growler myself. When it's on tap I always get it. I can't really name a beer I would drink more. It merits a 5.0 here.

Serving type: growler

07-23-2010 00:44:37 | More by Arbitrator
ThreeWiseMen

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Stopped at Russian River Brewing Company because one of us was sure that they brewed Pliny the Elder. One of us was right.

Reviewed on tap on Tuesday July 20, 2010. Paired this with Kasseri Cheese and Carr's Table Water Crackers.

Wiseman Justin Reporting:

Appearance: The lacing is of the wall; simply beyond belief. It's golden amber in color. Clear in appearance. Epic lacing ability. Lacing is a 6 on beer advocate's five point scale. I ding points for a truly unimpressive head.

Smell: Wet, Piny hops. Citrus. Specifically lemon and grapefruit. Smells somewhat like weed which is a good thing in an IPA. Well done but somewhat on the weak side.

Taste: Very delicious and hoppy. But I am cursed to want every beer to taste like Union Jack. First of all pair this beer with your favorite cheese and crackers. Very awesome. This beer has hit the balance jack pot. It's piny, hopy, and phenomenally easy to drink for an I2PA.

Mouthfeel: Very easy and light (especially for it's style). Slightly slick, doesn't really stay with you other than a slight after taste.

Drinkability: Even more "drinkable" than most IPA's The 8% will catch up to you. But it won't stop you from wanting another Pliny.

Pairing Score: A. IPA's pair well with cheese.. No surprise.

07-22-2010 07:38:55 | More by ThreeWiseMen
zimmerbloke

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Final bottle from a trade with mfielden. Thanks!

A: Clear, light-to-medium amber color. Thick, dense foam slowly fades to sticky lacing.
S: Slight pine nose, fairly bitter. Bright grapefruit and citrus hop aromas.
T: Well balanced. Very fruity hop flavors fade to slight bitterness. Malt flavors present in a non-intrustive, supportive way.
M: Pleasantly carbonated and smooth. Brisk.
D: Extremely high. Alcohol is very well hidden, could drink this all day. Possibly my warm weather beer of choice, if I were so fortunate.

Very good beer that I'll always enjoy drinking. Nothing far-fetched or enticingly creative, but a quality beer on all fronts.

07-21-2010 18:16:38 | More by zimmerbloke
gregshead

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance is a copper/amber color. I have seen some IPAs lighter but for a IIPA, this was about right. Good amount of head too.

Smell was citrus and floral.

Taste was awesome. Very hoppy but the citrus and other taste balance it out really well.

Mouthful: smooth. exceptionally smooth for an IIPA.

Drinkability: Quite possibly the most drinkable IIPA/Double IPA I've ever had. Will definitely have it again.

07-21-2010 04:26:37 | More by gregshead
mdwalsh

Iowa

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

My sixth bottle enjoyed starting 8 days after the bottled on date (May 12th) until now (July 20th). A combination of reviews.

A: Pours a big white head, almost three inches in my tulip, with biggish bubbles resting on top. Very clear golden orange with lots of active carbonation. Really an ornate looking beer. Unfortunately, the head lacks dexterity.

S: Citrus. Holy wowwy. It's like there's a bowl of fresh cut, right off the tree oranges, lemons and grapefruits right in front of me. Really not much pine, but a little. It really fills the space around me. This is I think my favorite part of this beer. It is a little dank, so not as much to my liking, but still very good.

T: Again, more intense citrus, though there is a slight sweetness buried in there. More of a sharp citrus though than the floral bouquet in the nose. I'd still like a little more pine, ans a bit more malt backbone.

M: Sort of too thin for a beer this big. I would like some more malty backbone in there both for flavor and body.

D: In drinkability, this beer lives up to the hype. It's a supremely well balanced example of taste meets alcohol meets down-the-hatch.

07-21-2010 01:52:20 | More by mdwalsh
hrmhrm

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

This is my favorite beer. Smell says "drink me." Hops are strong -- strong, strong, strong -- but without any harshness. This is a real trick and Russian River pulls it off. Flavors are complex and balanced. Carbonation is perfect. I only wish Russian River had better distribution so more people could taste this beer (and so it was more available to me.)

07-19-2010 18:50:12 | More by hrmhrm
JeanO

The best beer I've ever had. It lives up to the hype and keeps me begging for more. Now that I can get it in the SFV, i expect to spend many nights with my dear new friend Pliny.

Amberish copper if that makes sense with a dense white head.

Floral sweet and seductive hop aroma that is detectable from the moment the glass is passed over.

Taste is a hop heads dream. Just like the aroma just more present and a bit more balanced but hops hops hops. Citrus, sweet, a tad piney (not pliney...). Wow!

Perect mouthfeel and leaves you wanting more.

It might be too drinkable.

I love it.

07-18-2010 23:23:19 | More by JeanO
CaptainIPA

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Presented in a brown, 500 ML bottle with a bottled on date of: 06-30-10.
Now, that's fresh. Thanks to Masala Mama for visiting Santa Rosa as part of "Plan B."

Pours a bright, clear copper with a billowy white head and a lacing that sticks to stay.

Big hops in the nose with tropical essences of grapefruit rind and mango in the background. Smooth and creamy, with a decidedly medium body. Chewy and juicy as it warms.

Citrus rind and tropical fruit flavors meld with moderate bitterness and waves of fresh, green hops, pine resin and layers of biscuity malt that provide the foundation for a surprisingly well-balanced offering. Finishes bone dry.

A beer that lives up to its perennial hype, Pliny is deserving of its position amongst the upper echelon of American DIPAs. With its big hop presence, artfully balanced flavors and refreshing drinkability, this is one Elder that's virtually impossible to disrespect.

07-18-2010 22:53:38 | More by CaptainIPA
taxguyjase

New Mexico

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Appearance - A creamy head with medium carbonation and a golden amber color. Pretty standard looking for the IPA style. 4.0/5.0

Smell - Lots of piney hops - definitely the most definite feature of the aroma. 4.5/5.0

Taste - Hoppy, but not bitter. Some citrus and a lightly bitter aftertaste. The mix of the malt and hops are perfect. As mentioned in previous Imperial IPA posts, I get the impression that Imperial IPAs are either over the top or delightfully subdued. This fits into the latter. The hops are flavorful and the bitterness is perfect - 5.0/5.0

Feel - Extremely smooth, not as bitter as I would expect. Aftertaste is refreshing and has a good amount of flavor. 5.0/5.0

Drinkability - I think I would have this thing on tap at my house at all times. 5.0/5.0

07-18-2010 22:38:07 | More by taxguyjase
TKEbeerman

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into my SN XXX glass, this beer pours a sunburnt orange with about a one inch thick head.

The aroma is dominated by pinny bitter hops. Sitting in the background is a hint of bready malt.

The taste is follows suit. Extraordinarily bitter, yet easy on the pallet. Truely the standard for a DIPA.

The mouth feel is not as full as I'd like it, however the carbonation is right on point!

Overall PTE is a very drinkable beer. IMO though, Hopslam can stand toe to toe with this big boy. I'd like to thank tlay10 for hooking me up with not one, but two bottles to enjoy.

07-18-2010 02:02:09 | More by TKEbeerman
beerpirates

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

many thx to doodler for this beauty

poured from a 500 ml bottel into a struise glass
bottled on 06/08/10

Dark golden with a nice 1/4" head of pure white foam. Aromas are intense. Floral, citrus, spice, grapefruit , pine , and more. HOPS! and some biscuity malts and some weed-like aromas as well. The taste is hoppy and bitter with a very deep flavor complexity within the confines of the citrus, flower, and other hop induced flavors. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, drinkability is up there. A killer DIPA. I like this brew very much.

07-17-2010 08:43:21 | More by beerpirates
hu5om

thanks to enelson for this one! split with e11a627 and newk340
a-bronze/golden orange. light white foam, soapy, mostly clear, decent lacing
s-orangey citrus floral hops
t-orange citrus, nice little hop bite that just simmers on your palate. pineapple right before the swallow. not huge, but motzart at a moderate volume is still epic.
m-almost no harshness. amanzinglt delicate for an ipa that still packs some hops. how can it end so smooth?
d-epic. should i just move to california today or tell people i'm leaving first? delicious. ambrosia.

07-16-2010 21:27:35 | More by hu5om
e11a627

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a chimay chalice and enjoyed with hu5om and newk340.

A: Applejuice-color, orange, hint of light brown.

S: Instant hop aromas that seems to sting the nostrils.

T: Hoppy at the first intial taste, has a bite. Then the hoppiness quickly subsides and becomes VERY smooth and goes down very easily. It was surprising to taste so much hops at first then have the hop taste disappear - it was fantastic!

M: Aftertaste stays with you nicely but isn't overwhelming. Very flavorful yet smooth.

D: Magnigicently hoppy. YUM!

07-16-2010 18:40:39 | More by e11a627