Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,850
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev -8%

Poured into a Spaten tumbler. Bottle dated 05/24/11. Bright pale orange, almost yellow color. Very clear and filtered in appearance. Lots of tiny carbonation bubbles lead to a bright white two finger head that is soapy to sea foam looking. The lace sticks in a nice patchy pattern.

Smell is absolutely fantastic!! Lots and lots of bright, fresh fruity smells. There is some grapefruit rind, pineapple, some orangey sweetness. These are all balanced nicely with musty bread, and big pale malts. As it warms, the yeast is taking center stage in the nose.

Taste is quite bright. I think I will describe this as, grapefruit oil, wrecking bitter... at least at first. There is some sweetness I don't taste on my tongue, but lick off of my lips. I am really stretching here but as it warms a bit more I do get just a bit of orange sweetness. I am not getting a whole lot of the malt I remember the first time I tried this. The alcohol is very well masked also.

The mouth is fantastic as well!! Bright and effervescent. Very easy to drink and dry at the end. The bitterness from the citrus wipes the tongue clean.

Overall, As the nose and mouth on this blew me away the taste really fell short for the category. Not that I didn't enjoy this, but I could name at least five DIPA's or IPA's that blow this away on taste. Thanks to aandresen for the extra.

azdback, Jun 29, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

My first Pliny will be a memorable experience in my beer journey...

A- Golden color with a thick creamy head, not much lace however.

S- Great pine presence here from the hops.

T- This is unbelievable, so hoppy, but no bite on the end at all. Just the smoothest DIPA I've ever encountered. Tons of juicy grapefruit and pine, I could drink 5 of these without thinking about it the ABV is hidden so well.

O- You don't need me to tell you this, go get this beer any way you can. Drink it, it's good.

Tschnab, Jun 28, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Finally had my first pliny the elder last week, scored a couple of bottles from beverages4lessinc.com amongst many other things. Did it live up to the hype? Yes and no. It is a great DIPA, the piney and citrus hop notes were amazing, the taste and mouthfeel as it goes down lingers in a good way on your pallette. But i was expecting to be blown out of the water by this beer, everyone saying its the best ever of the style. I will give it #2 of the style, i prefer dogfish head 90 min to pliny, there i said it!

calcio360jrd, Jun 28, 2011

Poured into a Palm tulip

A - nearly clear orange kissed golden hue, 2 fingers of creamy head dissolve slowly leaving generous lace

S - nearly indescribable. flowers and honeysuckle laid over funky new turned earth. This smell makes you salivate and feel slightly dirty even.

T - infinitely complex and yet incredibly smooth. beautiful hops make themselves felt with notes of pear, tangerine, lemon peel. Perfectly balanced with a grounded earthy flavors of roasted grain, hay, and dare I say... sunshine.

M - medium-heavy with a light carbonation presence

O - My notes taken at the time simply say "Sweet Jebus that's good". Really, this beer does live up to the hype around it. It looks great, it's aroma is transportative, and the combination of complexity with smoothness and drink-ability is incredible.

CoalPorter, Jun 28, 2011

Here it is, the greatest beer in the world (according to you BA’s): Pliny the Elder. I turned 21 only three months ago, and here I am now, savoring a classic. It’s amazing how quickly the culture of craft beer just sucked me in; I don’t think I’ll ever find a more engrossing hobby. I love it!

“BOTTLED ON: 050411.” A month and a half of age on Pliny might be too much in some people’s eyes, but good enough for my first try. I promise, though, that I will update this review whenever I sample a fresher batch. In fact, put that on my bucket list: one day, I will have a Pliny on the same day it was bottled. It’ll be tough for a guy living in Indiana, I’ll admit, but I’ll find a way.

Thanks again to dmsohyea for this great moment in my beer journey. You rock!

A: Pours a shining gold-amber – the body is brilliant. Not a lot of breweries achieve that vivid luster, but this one absolutely does; no question. The head comes out fast and fat, presenting a delicious white creaminess at the top of the glass. It’s very inviting; in fact, whipped cream is the first thing that comes to my mind when I scope out the foam. A ton of bubbles run up from the bottom of the glass as well, which, along with the thick lacing, provides ample energy in the body’s visual. It looks fresh and friendly, to say the absolute least. I wish more beers put off that vibe, especially when it comes to pale ales. Can’t wait to take a whiff…

S: Such a succulent hop aroma! Mango, grapefruit, pineapple, apple, grape…the fruits grow with every waft. Bready, slightly roasted malts and farm-fresh wheat scents combine to form a moist, green bouquet. THAT fragrance, not an ultra-bitter hoppiness, is the true heart of an India Pale Ale; this fits perfectly into that style definition. Excellent execution. There’s some residual sugars as well, with caramel, molasses, and marmalade syrups hidden beneath the most prominent characteristics in the nose. Intriguing and fresh – the true spirit of an Imperial IPA!

T: It’s hard to describe a beer like this. It’s like the funniest movie you’ve ever seen, or a book that constantly keeps you turning its pages – everything that it’s supposed to do, it does (without a hitch). “Wow” is all I can really say. A mellow smoothness comes over the entire palate, within the same realm as the freshness in the nose. It’s homey and again, farm fresh. The hops are very interesting, almost baffling at times; I mean, how can they be so bold without being harsh at all? That incredible quality must be why this beer is one of the greats. Anyway, the hops are fruity first, with a nod to everything mentioned in the nose (plus cherry/berry and citrus zest). The balance is incredible, though, with thick malted barley gracefully appearing soon after the hop blast. They are well done, too, settling comfortably right on the edge of light sweetness and syrupiness – it’s perfect for the palate. As far as the symmetry between sweet and bitter goes, I would honestly say that it’s the best I’ve ever had in a pale ale. The yeast that shows itself in the endgame is very subtle (as is the case with many DIPA’s), but it works. Its lively, acidic character doesn’t need a huge platform to make an impression here. All in all, there’s really only three words that can describe this: perfect palate craftsmanship. Nothing short of legendary taste.

M: I was a little bit worried about Russian River’s performance here. Really, the feel of an Imperial IPA can change so much about how the drinker perceives it; even more than in other styles. If it’s too thick, it can turn the whole thing syrupy, and if it’s too thin, a less-developed palate can really show through as watery. I’m glad to say, though, that RR achieved the best possible scenario here, too. It’s light enough to be good for the style and super-drinkable, but just heavy enough to show that it’s meant to be taken seriously as a sipper. This area gets another world-class rating from me.

O: Balance, balance, balance. An incredible array of tastes and textures like this shows so much care and awareness on the part of the brewer; Russian River deserves every bit of the recognition they get. And once I get my super-fresh-Pliny bucket list situation figured out, I’m sure I’ll agree even more.

The reason I love beer, condensed into sixteen ounces. It doesn’t get any better than this.

BarryMFBurton, Jun 27, 2011
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

I find a bottle in Chula Vista Ca while picking some other beer, bingo! my first

What a sensacional aroma, and mouthfeel, very impressed with the combination of well foamy head, good retention and those hoppy aromas.

Citrusy, piney, malty, and other great aromas in the nose.

The mouthfeel is very durable in the mouth with a little dry in the end. Very good combination of hops.

cheers!

PonchoEquihua, Jun 26, 2011
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Eureka Burger in Redlands.

Appears a bright yellowish orange with short white head that leaves streaks of lace.

Dank pungent smell of resinous pine, with hints of tropical citrus fruit and floral hops.

Taste is also incredibly potent pine at first, grapefruit and more pine in the middle, and a crisp tropical piney finish. I don't pick up any specific malt flavor, yet it tastes incredibly balanced. The taste of hops is potent but not overpowering by any means, the bitterness in the finish is fairly low, making it very easy to keep drinking.

Very smooth, medium carbonation. Sticky coating that doesn't last too long, giving it a mostly clean and crisp finish.

This skirts the line between IPA and DIPA with its incredible balance, drinkabilitiy, and slightly low ABV for the style.

This beer gets a lot of (sometimes negative) hype about being a hop bomb. I find it to be a delicately balanced, hop forward masterpiece.

Allpe45, Jun 26, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into a Russian River tulip glass. Thanks Brian for both of these! Bottled on 6/03.

A- Gold with a fluffy two finger head. Leaves great spots of lacing.

S- Juicy hops with notes of apricot, peach, mango. There are also some grapefruit and mandarine hops as well. Some sweet malt in the background. One of the best smelling IPA's.

T- Lot's of tropical fruit including pineapple and mango. Some peach, orange zest and grapefruit and sweet malt follow after. Very well balanced.

M- Medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight oily mouthfeel that coats the tongue.

O- Not really adding much here, but it's indeed one of the best IPA's available. The best attribute of Pliny is the balance and is dangerously drinkable at 8% ABV.

Thanks again Brian!

iadler, Jun 26, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -37%

I was quite surprised to find a bottle of this in Steamboat, CO. It seems to be a rarity in most parts. As a lover of all things IPA, I had high expectations, which were not met.

Before drinking the beer, I probably knew less about it than most who purchase it. I like my IPAs heavily dry hopped, but the pleasantries of the dry hopping procedure were greatly overwhelmed and sidelined by the bittering hops. I was somewhat uncertain that the beer had even been dry hopped. I also felt the beer was overly thin in the mouth resulting from a total lack of malt.

Overall, I found the beer quite uninteresting. I'd be willing to try it again from tap, but not in a bottle. Maybe it loses its qualities in travel, but it could not have been very old, considering the extremely short length of time it's available in store coolers. I suspect that the hype for this beer has been manufactured by limiting the supply, as I can think of at least a half dozen DIPAs that I would prefer. All I can say is try it yourself (if you can), but don't throw away your palate just because it's been so well reviewed.

dleemiller, Jun 25, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Shared with a dear old friend on fathers day, from my notes.

500 ml bottle w/ a freshness date, poured a clear orangish hued golden with an ample fluffy white head that nleft BIG lacing down the glass.

WOW, what a nose. Big hop pineapple mango peach and huge piney resonious goodness. The hops are the star of the show but the malty goodness holds it's self in perfect support. WOW!!!

Again the hops hold court. BIG tropical fruit and piney hops flavers that are supported well by some malt.Mango pineapple peach grapefruit and tangirine seem like to much, But they all go so well together along with ample piney resonoius. Awesome!!!

This beer has a luxorius feel to me, spot on carbonation oily chewy and dry.

I feel this beer holds up to the hype. Reminds me of a filtered boyking from coast brewing.

welldigger888, Jun 24, 2011

Pours a sightly hazy golden color with a 2 finger head and much lacing.

The nose is awesome. i have been waiting to try this beer since i became a BA. Lots of grassy, earthly notes overpowered with citrus and pine standouts. Simply beautiful (although I stand my ground by stating that Hill Farmstead Abner is still the best nose I have experienced!)

It hits the lips and immediately evokes tastes of citrus, pinapple, mango, bready malts, and a nice bitter but pleasant finish.

The mouthfeel is very easy, easy but very complex if that is possible. It is not overpowering but just right, perfect carbonation and sticky sweetness.

FARGO619, Jun 23, 2011
4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottled 05.24.11, poured into a snifter this morning.

Clear, golden orange in color.  One finger white head which settles but leaves behind big globs of bubbles which float around.  Good retention.

On the nose I pick up tangerines, pink grapefruit, lemon, floral hops, bready malt, and some piney resin.  A cornucopia of different hop profiles.

The taste is a similarly balanced blend of hops.  First I get the citrus hops, tangerines and sweet-bitter grapefruit.  Midway  there is a subdued bready malt, quickly followed by more bitter grapefruit.  It finishes with a piney resin, which also stays around to provide a very pleasant, dry aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium body, low-medium carbonation, and leaves an oily hops film.  Very nice.

Overall, I agree that this is a near perfect DIPA.  It's so incredibly balanced, yet the flavor intensifies as it warms and continues to coat the palate.

Adrianized, Jun 23, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottled: 6/03/11
Served in a Duvel tulip glass.

A- Pours a nice honey amber color. Tight beady white head which settles with varying density. A bit foggy.

S- Sandal wood, cedar, pine sap. Some marshmallow from the malt and a bit of corn syrup. Not really as explosive as I thought it would be.

T- Tastes just like it smells. Very cedar/pine sap like. The bitterness almost has a salty like quality to it. Mild white sugar flavors from the malt make a minor apppearance. Alcohol is well hidden. And the finish is dry.

M.F.- A drying puckering M.F. Carbonation is strong with a nice stinging effect that aids the dryness of this beer.

O- Back when this first came out, it was the original and its creator is credited with the style. However, I feel other breweries have raised the bar. It is a rather dry DIPA which you dont see too often and I like that. A great DIPA, but didnt live up to the hype for me.

nicnut45, Jun 23, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Fantastic, overwhelming hop aroma!! It seems as though they have squeezed every bit of aromatics from the hops. Beautiful copper/amber color with a lasting white head. Good body, not too chewy. Malty sweetness is overwhelmed by bitter and citrusy hops. The aroma stays through the end. It leaves your empty glass smelling like hops. PHENOMINAL.

scbrew, Jun 22, 2011
4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Impressive. I'm trying Pliny the Elder for the first time at Eureka Burger in Redlands, CA. I am from NH, and this is not a beer you can find easily out there. My kudos to them for carrying this and so many other great selections.

I have to admit, I was about to get a Hanger 24 beer as I was in Redlands, but after seeing dozens of people order Pliny, I was motivated to give it a try. I'm glad I did. This is one of the smoothest IPA's I've had. As others reviews note, this beer has great citrusy notes and avoids the excessive bite of some IPA's. This should be a must try if you can find it!

devgolfs, Jun 22, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

500ml poured to snifter. Bottled date of 06/03/11.

A - Pours a golden orange with huge head and great sticky lacing. Some of the best lacing I've seen.

S - Straw, citrus, pine, slight tinge of alcohol.

T - Lots of pine and citrus that are balanced beautifully by the sweetness of the malts. Nice crisp feeling as you're drinking, which goes with everything the label says.

M - Sticky and sweet, with lingering taste of pine and a touch of alcohol.

O - Worth any and all hype it gets, this is an incredibly smooth and balanced IPA. A true classic.

ExplosivoSR, Jun 21, 2011
4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

App golden with a generous rocky head. The head settles out at around 1/4 inch. Clear and yet still has excellent lacing throughout the glass.
Smell is surprisingly sweet through the citrusy hops. So well blended in the aroma that nothing stands out, yet everything does at the same time.

Taste- the hops make this beer exceptionally bitter and blends well with the maltiness. The beer is also heavy on the citrus (grapefruit) tones from the hops. There are rich spicy notes that occassionally creep in. This beer finishes with a lingering grassy taste. The taste is long and full.

Mouthfeel- this beer is full bodied and has such a lingering aftertaste that the beer feels heavier than it really is. It feels crisp, fresh, but still has a long and flavorful finish.

Overall this beer somehow was able to live up to all of my expectations for it. We had planned to go to the west coast for our honeymoon, with this beer being the clincher for east V. west coast, but when job interviews instead cut it short to Colorado, finding this was somewhat of a religious experience. The 8.0 abv is smoothly disguised and it is a beer worth all of the accolades.

scarfield, Jun 21, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

My 500th review so I had to make it a great beer!

Served at the Stone Brewery in an 8oz glass.

Kinda orange-tan in color with a good head and lacing.

Plenty of pine and grapefruit aromas, fruity smells too, oranges and tangerines come to mind, plus a nice malt background.

Taste is of course out of this world delicious, with tons of great oily hops, pine and grapefruit flavors, a nice fruitiness, with a wonderful background of flavorful malts.

Feel is great, mid bodied and lingering bitterness make for a terrific brew.

On tap it's damn fine and wonderful. There's no doubt as to why it's one of the top beers ever.

AlCaponeJunior, Jun 20, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled on 6/3/11. Pours slightly hazy with a nice foam that lingers throughout. This beer has smells of pine, dank, floral hops mixed with a slight spicy note. The aromas are very similar to the taste, where the alcohol is quite nicely hidden amongst the hops and malt. Speaking of the malt, it is there in such a great way that this beer seems balanced. Even with the huge amount of hops, this beer has drinkability. Very nice beer, I love picking up a bottle whenever I see it available and this fresh.

knucks999, Jun 19, 2011
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

The most highly inticipated beer ever for me. I had a coworker get this in Cali for me, thx Joyce! Poured into 13 oz tulip glass. Very bright yellow / orange with a sticky white head. Grapefruit, pine, pineapple, & some grass. Taste with all of those flavors together, a little more powerful then the nose, with a blast of piney grapefruit in the finish. Mouth feel is perfect for a DIPA. Nice carbonation. This was what the hype is all about, the best in this style I have had. Double Trouble close second. Bottle date 5/26/11.

SawDog505, Jun 19, 2011
4.65/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

EDIT: Drinking this again, from a 16oz bottle into a pint glass, bottled on 03/14/13, drank 5 days later, awesome.

A- From a bottle into a pint glass. Pours a gorgeous honey golden color with slight haze. Comes with a huge, fluffy, sticky white head. Leaves awesome lacing.

S- Perfect. The smell leaps out of the glass at you. It's a great blend of honey, piney and floral hops and a huge dose of delicious tropical citrus (pineapple and orange).

T- Loads of hops that have everything from grapefruit and tropical fruits to pine resin and honey. The malts are sweet and provide enough substance to balance the hops nicely. The finish is long, dry, and filled with hops and lingering citrus. The alcohol is only slightly apparent.

M- Medium carbonation, medium body, makes for a silky smooth, creamy feel with a dry finish.

O- One of the best IPAs around, has great hop character and balance, I never get tired of this beer.

WillCarrera, Jun 19, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Bottled on 06-03-11, drank on 06-18-11.

Bottle poured into big snifter. Pours a deep colorful golden color with nice frothy off white head that leaves some sexy lacing on the glass throughout.

Smells so good! Of spicy citrus hops and tropical fruits. Who said hops arent a drug?!?! This is king of all DIPA/IPAs in regard to aroma, in my humble opinion.

Taste is a little tang sweet upfront with the tropical fruits coming through very nice & smooth. Wow! This is one tasty beer. I was expecting a tad more hops & thickness. For a DIPA, this one is really light and not so hoppy. Its just right for being on the tropical side. Everything blends together nicely. In the aftertaste, the hop bite can be found - but it isnt a Hercules of a bite.

Purchased this one through a vendor who shipped to FL. Got 2 bottles of PtE + a bottle of Supplication for $38 (including shipping).

I dont think I will be getting this on the regular since it is really expensive to get shipped out here. I will most likely get a few bottles every year or twice a year.

Overall, absolutely delicious brew. Stellar DIPA! Tropical, hoppy, light, sweet, mildly bitter. What more can you ask for from an IPA?

hoptualBrew, Jun 18, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottled on 5/4/11 Opened on 6/4/11

A- Golden yellow orange with 2 fingers of slightly off white head. Awesome looking beer.

S- Full of pine and grapefruit; Always a great smelling beer.

T- Big pine on the taste and lots of citrus; You are left with a good amount of bitterness so its not too dry but very refreshing. No alcohol at all, super smooth drinking.

M- Light-Medium; Really smooth and creamy but doesn't get that wateriness that some other beers get from being the soft.

O- Awesome double IPA. I feel this beer has gotten a little too hyped but this is seriously one of the most smooth and well balanced IPA's you can get and everyone should try it.

d4114, Jun 17, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

I got it. That's all I have to say. Here's what I think.

Bottled: 5-4-2011

A - Gorgeous, tight white bubbles. Great carbonation. Finger-finger and half head with a lot of perseverance. Golden straw, honey, yellow color.

S - Mango/papaya explosion. Pine needles, white flowers, shortbread, honey.

T - That same tropical fruit blast accompanied with almost perfect balance of piney hop bitterness. I'm running out of words. Bready fruity esters on the back end. Smooth as hell. No booze burn despite the 8% ABV.

M - Medium body as the beer just keeps having a dance party up in there.

O - Blessed be. The almighty Pliny has spoken and he deserves the hype.

calebroberts811, Jun 17, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On-tap at Toronado, SF. Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Light to moderately hazed light orange color. Arrived with just a tiny bit of head which resulted in just a tiny bit of lacing.

4.5 S: Pliny is extra piney on-tap. Grapefruit and super flowery. From a bottle is good, but fresh on-tap is better.

4.5 T: My friend once drank one of my Pliny bottles that I got in a trade and said, "This is how beer should taste." I'm tempted to agree. Lots of pine, grapefruit, and whatever the taste equivalent of flowery aroma is. Moderate bitterness. Malts are, for the most part, completely hidden, which is fine with me.

4.5 M: Lighter medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Good creaminess and super smooth.

4.5 D: Great beer that is better on-tap.

DavoleBomb, Jun 17, 2011