Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,590
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

4.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Grabbed a few bottles of this when I was in Seattle, fresh off of the delivery truck!

A - Golden yellow with a significant head, heavy lacing on the glass

S - Pine and citrus dominate the nose

T - Well balanced. Significant pine and citrus tastes and even grassy flavors. Can hardly taste the alcohol.

M - medium bodied, well carbonated

Overall this is definately a great DIPA and I enjoyed in immensely. I will say I think it is over-hyped though. I have had several DIPA's that are just as good if not better. Definately a can't miss though!

4.43/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

first had this in PA 3 years ago - struck me as unique: light gold in color, very crisp, very dry, like hopped champagne... fast forward to recently - second and third times trying it: at Monk's Cafe in Philly and at Russian River 3 weeks later - both tasted virtually identical yet quite different from that first time - could've been a hoax, although they had 3 other RR beers that first day which all matched up in later tastings.... anyway.... my thoughts on the recent sips....

A: suntanned orange-peel hue, faint turbid hop haze, looks unfiltered...thick pad of dense, cottony foam, decent cling in broad bands

S: fragrant dried orange peel, orange creme, maybe papaya muddled with mint, fresh cut flowers.... mostly hops.... the esters and alcohol are either absent or woven well within... malt does seem to come in later as a bit angel-food-cakey, but mellow

T: solid, bold, yet smooth flavors, but nothing unique.... just a tight construct that is memorable for just that - the flavors stand out, have more of a refined definition than most contemporaries, not a mess.... the spicy-orange-y hops, just the right balance of pungency and bitterness, neither really aggressive... the alcohol, mellow and far in the background, no heat or even that much warmth.... I happen to be a malt fiend, yet I'm perfectly at ease with the sugar-cookie malt just quiet and in excellent balance, just along for the ride, no syrupy or sweet sugary flavors

M: not as dry as the first time (man, was that wonderful!) - in fact, this came off with a more rounded malt body, though still pretty damn pillowy/feathery.... this just had a faded wash while the other one snapped off taking some saliva with it... really, it curious how a lot of breweries just don't understand that this style needs to be nearly crazy dry.... they do well here

O: I'm sure it was a revelation back in the day, but I can't help but feel I've had more interesting, (personally) enjoyable double IPAs.... on its own though, it's an indisputably solidly-rendered strong hoppy beer.... I'd definitely put it up there with the best and feel inclined to re-test it again and again to further shape my opinion (Bbb, May 2013)

2.5/5  rDev -46.4%

3.9/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

I just don't get the hype. There are plenty of other IPA's out there that I would rather drink. I wouldn't turn it down but having a choice I'd try something else. At 8% I want a little more body. I love the smell but the taste doesn't really follow through for me.

4.83/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Shimmering golden, with a crisp whit head, exactly the way an IPA should look. Picturesque

S: Lots of astringency, got some grapefruit in there as well as an overwhelming pine hoppiness. Absolute hops through and through

T: Just about perfect. A true west coast hop bomb. Lots of fruitiness to it, put the piny hop characteristics as well. The Simcoe hops seem to be most prevalent, and I'm okay with that. Well balanced in being both very intense, but very smooth and enjoyable.

M: Nice medium consistency, good carbonation, and the intense hop characteristics played well off of that.

Overall, this is one of the best beers out there. It's a regular for me when I can get it, and this is an IPA everybody should try. Russian River doesn't disappoint again and I can't wait to try it's big brother, Pliny The Younger

4.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Bottle poured into a snifter. Bottle date reads 12/2/11.

A- Pours a clear orange. Has a good amount of white head that sticks around for awhile before turning into a thin film atop the beer. I can see plenty of carbonation bubbles fizzing to the top.

S- A hop bomb as you'd expect. Tons of pine, citrus, grapefruit aromas.

T- Tastes like it smells. Very citrusy and bitter. Awesome.

M- Light and easy to drink. The hop backbone sticks around for awhile.

I would say Pliny lives up to the hype as it is a great beer, but there are definitely comparable IPAs out there. A must try.

4.25/5  rDev -8.8%