Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,496
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
ChrisPro

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Bottle from Bottleworks. Hops...bang! The aroma hits with the force of a wrecking ball, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Pours an attractive gold, but with some yeast floaties. Nice white bubbly head with decent lacing.This is one incredibly hoppy beer that is balanced well with two incredibly unique tastes. First, you get a citrus sweetness on the tongue, but that quickly fades as the bitter hops linger on the palate. This has lived up to the hype and I'm glad I had the chance to try it. incredibly drinkable. Nice work, RR!

03-28-2010 20:28:41 | More by ChrisPro
mobyviacheslov

Washington

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Russian river Pliney the Elder IMP IPA, Jakes, 20Mar10, narrow pint, ??%, 45deg
A - Opaque, thick, orange. Looked like a screwdriver almost.
S - Pine trees...strike that, a pine forrest! Subtle citrusy grapefruit came through as well, but this truly smelled like a glass of pine.
T - Very complex, full bodied, yet mild American imperial IPA style. The hops delivered exactly what the aroma would predict. A lot of pine flavor, a little citrus and grass, but somehow, not a lot of bitterness to this one. Not sure what the IBU's claim, but the malt, while not a prevelant flavor, must have been doing something to balance the bitterness. The hop flavors were powerful and dominant, just not overwhelmingly bitter. This was an incredible balance between extreme flavor and mild bitterness. Very well done.
M - Thick, but not creamy.
D - I could drink this as a session beer, discovering new flavors each sip. The lack of extreme bitterness means no need for salty snacks in between, leaving the gut open for each unfiltered sip.

03-28-2010 19:49:32 | More by mobyviacheslov
CaliBeerLover86

4.93/5  rDev +6%

500ml Bottled on date of 3/4/2010, bought from a small bottle shop in Tacoma that kept it refrigerated.

Appearance: Deep golden color. Two inch head with a moderate pour into a standard pint glass. Excellent retention! This beer laces like a champ, beautiful.

Smell: The smell is heavenly. Piney and citrus smelling hops. Smells balanced, yet assertive. Brings me back to the first time I had this a year ago.

Taste: The mild carbonation and bitterness play well together across a malty background. Very, very balanced for a west coast IPA that has an abv of 8%, I cannot wait to try Pliny's nephew. There is some hype to this beer, but I can honestly say it is one of my favorites. This beer starts hoppy with a slight bitterness, then a sharper bitterness that fades into sweeter malt taste eventually. The thing I love about this beer is that you get the smell and taste of fresh hops. Wonderful. This is the IPA that taught me to love the style.

Mouthfeel: Very refreshing. Creamy. Leaves you with a dry mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Very drinkable. Very smooth. It is scary how drinkable this IPA is at 8% abv. If you like IPA's go and find this beer. Now. Stop reading this already!

03-27-2010 05:52:37 | More by CaliBeerLover86
AleWynch

Bottled on 3/22/10 (very fortunate to find it very fresh)

Poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Golden/Tangerine color, delicate fluffy 1" head.

S: Pine, Grapefruit, Citrus, A bit of Grass... Exceptional Aroma.

T: Very soft pillowy head yields to soft grapefruit without too much acidity/bitterness - perhaps more pumalo in flavor...pine but not astringent - very clean, distinctive. Hop bitterness is clear, but not overdone. Everything is very well balanced - malt is spot-on.

M: Carbonation is just right, the balance with the malt here just right. Enough backbone for everything happening with the hops. Fresh, clean, distinctive finish. Leaves you thirsty for another.

D: Dangerously drinkable for ABV. Alcohol is completely hidden - Savor... Not session-able without a driver/nurse! Fresh, clean, distinctive, delicate, deliberate... An exceptional, delicious, DIPA - defines the style.

03-27-2010 03:23:59 | More by AleWynch
youradhere

Arkansas

3.78/5  rDev -18.7%

A- quickly dissapating head atop a luminescent orange body, hazy yet just clear enough to see the other side of the glass.

S- Pine and citrus hops. Hoppy. Hoppy goodness with barely detectable malt sweetness.

T- a flash of hoppy fruit inundated by a hop bitterness. Taste quickly dissapears and leaves a bitterness on the sides and back of tongue.

M- just thick enough to carry the hops in this beer.

D- not horrible but tastes like a smaller version of Rogue's Imperial IPA. Not something I would want to drink more than one of, but not anything to turn ones nose up at.

03-24-2010 03:44:20 | More by youradhere
brushtachio

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

20 day old bottle picked up and consumed while in San Diego. this is my first Pliny and I'm fighting hard not to let the hype and excitement overshadow the actual traits of the beer because this is one hell of a beer. The hops in this one are complex with a little bit of everything I'd want: dank cannabis, pine, citrus (weakest of the three). Nice malt sweetness to balance out the considerable bitterness.

The thing that impresses me the most is the drinkability- this is an 8% sticky DIPA that goes down so easily. I only bought one and instead of savoring it, I took care of it in short order.

03-24-2010 03:36:01 | More by brushtachio
ghostee

Shout out to daysofstatic for trading me the Pliny!

500ml bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a dirty orange colour with about an inch of creamy head that lingers for a couple minutes. Sediment is visible in the beer. Lacing stays on the glass all the way down.

Smells of citrus and piney hops. Smells like it is going to be hoppy.

Taste follows the nose. Taste starts off with a grapefuit and citrus taste, and resolves into a fresh piney hop taste. The citrus lingers on the tongue for a little bit, and then it fades away leaving a clean, refreshing taste. The hops are strong and add an excellent kick. Bitter but not overly bitter, and they stay on the tongue for a while. A very crisp and refreshing brew.

Mouthfeel is not very thick, and medium carbonation. The citrus and hops bite the tongue, and it finishes dry.

Drinkability is medium-high. The alcohol is well hidden, but it's still 8%, which is the only sign to take it easy as this is just too easy to drink.

I sooo wish they sold these around here, I would be drinking these all the time. The price is outstanding and the beer is delicious. Can't wait to have it again.

Verdict: Outstanding.

03-24-2010 00:29:16 | More by ghostee
ChadQuest

4.13/5  rDev -11.2%

I'm always thankful when i get pliny in a trade, my wife loves it too, and what makes my wife happy, makes me happy.
Its head is lush and frothy, sticky and full lacing too. Clear pale golden color with a sunburst tint.
The aroma and flavors match up, Citrus being the standout hop profile with solid juicy tropical fruits playing their part. Not the most bitter IPA and that is great because the citrus and fruity flavors can have more presence.
Dry finish with a slightly sticky mouthfeel and a medium carbination.
It's pretty sweet these come in such an affordable 500ml bottle, i'd buy it regularly if i could, really good stuff, but not head and shoulders above everything like the hype tells you.

03-23-2010 03:09:57 | More by ChadQuest
atremains

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a growler (thanks to cbutova) into a dogfishhead snifter. Light pale golden with a minimal head. Lacing is amazing.
Smell is fruity and hoppy. Citrus and pine. A bit earthy.
Taste follows. Good balance of malts. Very full mouthfeel for a double ipa. Creamy. Exceeds my expectations.
Extremely drinkable. Great beer

Serving type: growler

03-22-2010 03:31:34 | More by atremains
cbutova

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

On-tap at TJ's in PA yesterday, reviewed from notes. Pours out a golden yellow with no head but a white ring and cloud. The ring actually leaves some light, spotty lacing around the glass. Smell is very good, reminds me of Sculpin but a bit less fruity and more pine up front. The hops lend pine, citrus, earthy and grapefruit notes. There is actually hints of malt which balance the nose for me. The taste is very similar. Very good hop profile balanced by a great malt backbone. The hops are citrus, piney, grapefruit and other fruity notes. The level of bitterness is perfect for an IIPA. Mouthfeel is also great. The medium body is very smooth with low-medium carbonation that suits the flavor perfectly. A bitter coat is left on the tongue. The beer has no alcohol presence, taste or MF, for me. Drinkability is killer. The taste and price ($5) were both amazing. The flavors stay very solid and the beer only gets more complex and enjoyable as I drink it very slowly. Could session this one for hours on end (not true of many IIPAs).

03-22-2010 01:57:47 | More by cbutova
AylwinForbes

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

There are some beers for which quantitative ratings are really irrelevant; how do you really put a number on something as subjective as the citrus/pine aroma of a truly great IPA? Pliny the Elder is one such. Fortunately, business brought us to the area and no time was lost in making the pilgrimage to the fount. Beer is a pale amber slightly hazy with a not much head but a decent lingering lacing on the glass (for what that is worth). Major impact on the nose with an intense full-on grapefruit explosion mixed with grassy and pine overtones. One can scarce forbear to taste and it is not disappointing: predominant citrus, some butterscotch undertones, that give way to lingering dry bitter finish. Mouth coating quality lingers for an age.

03-21-2010 03:59:44 | More by AylwinForbes
bump8628

Oklahoma

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Bottled on date of 2/11/10. Poured into a large wine glass.

Hazy orange with a soapy, white head that laces all over.

The nose offers up a big, pungent pine aroma, like walking through the middle of an evergreen forest, accompanied by strokes of citrus.

Pine also leaves its mark on the palate, but makes room for more of the juicy, citric hops. A leafy, herbal bitterness lingers but never becomes harsh. The hops do all they can to suppress anything resembling malt, but I know it's there because Pliny the Elder still tastes like beer and not raw hop squeezings. The finish is quite dry, which enhances the perception of the hops even further, and the vast quantity of hops leaves a pleasant oily hop texture behind.

What can I say? This is the ultimate hoppy beer. It's juicy, punchy, but unbelievably smooth and complex. Pure bliss in a bottle (or a tap if your're lucky enough to have the opportunity).

03-20-2010 23:36:52 | More by bump8628
nectar14

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

A: Deep gold color, lots of nice white head and lacing.

S: Assertive but smooth, detailed hops. Citrus and some malts blending well together.

T: Big, fat, up front hops that are balanced pretty well. Malts contribute, but are supporting only. If you want hops, you want this.

M: Carbonation and bitterness play well with malty background.

D: Decent for its size. More drinkable if having with some food.

03-20-2010 21:06:06 | More by nectar14
travduke

4.93/5  rDev +6%

When I first joined BA I heard about this beer and hoped someday I would have a chance to try it. Then I learned about trading, and here I am now. Thanks Jeff (PlinyTheYoungest) !

Look: Golden orange body with a huge fluffy two finger cloud-like head. Amazing retention. When it eventually does fall out (half way into the glass) it leaves incredible lacing all the way down.

Smell: Loads and loads of pine. You can tell this is going to have a nice bitter bite. Citrus in there aswell, sided with some pineapple. Do they make Pliny the Elder air fresheners? If so, sign me up!

Taste: The best tasting DIPA I've had, hands down. Just as the nose predicted. Lots of pine and citrus flavors. Absolutely mind-blowing flavor. Very well balanced with a light malt backbone. Who needs malt? We don't want no fucking malt!

Mouth/Drink: Nice bitter-dry mouthfeel. Its like eating a potato chip, you keep wanting more. Carbonation is right on. The drinkability? Superb. Is there alcohol in this? You drink it like water. Hop flavored, water.

03-20-2010 02:59:04 | More by travduke
paigertx

Visited wine country and had to have this everyday of the trip. Refilled my growler at the Santa Rosa pub daily as it is the best DIPA I have experienced. Clean mouthfeel with the anticipated piney hops notes and of course the color and aroma of the best beer in the USA and/or the world!

Serving type: growler

03-19-2010 02:46:49 | More by paigertx
cwps48

Maryland

Bottled 02/08/10

A: Golden orange with a one finger head that disappears quickly. Leaves a thin film of head. A little lacing is left throughout my drinking.

S: Quite hoppy. Sweet, with a citrusy floral backbone. Definite pine notes in there too.

T: Hugely hoppy without intense bitterness. Pine and citrous. Light, but bursting with flavor. It's very well done in that it's big, but not too big.

M: Nice wet finish. Hop aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Medium carbonation, which works well (consonance).

D: Very refreshing. Smooth. Delicious. I will be trading for this again at some point...

03-19-2010 02:42:15 | More by cwps48
AdamGarcia

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Many thanks to NewGeneric for my 1st PtE!
bottled on 2/8/10, poured into Duvel tulip.

A: Bright, hazy orange hue. Lovely bright color...almost appears backlit as it sits in the glass. Fluffy head that clings to the glass and hangs around for a while.

S: Amazing. Loads of pine and citrus. Maybe a little bubblegum. As close to the scent of fresh hops as any beer I've ever smelled. As far as smell, Nugget Nectar has always been tops for me..but PtE is easily as good, if not better.

T: Taste mirrors scent. Big Pine and grapefruit. Again, freshness is amazing. Pliny has captured the smell and flavor of fresh, whole hops better than any beer I can remember. PtE demonstrates a little more balance (not much) than some west coast IPA's. Its not mouth puckeringly bitter. The hop presence isn't a palate wrecker...its just amazing. My vocabulary isn't up to the standard of describing this beer.

M: Damn near perfect. Carbonation is spot on. Has a certain creamy feel. Leaves my mouth with a dry, crisp, smooth feeling. Each sip makes you want another.

D: There is nothing about this beer that doesn't make me want more and more. At 8% this is not a huge beer by today's standards, but its certainly nothing to sneeze at. However, the alcohol is not present in the smell or the taste of the beer. I'm starting to feel the abv as I get to the bottom but if I didn't know better I would have guessed maybe 6-6.5%

Initially I was blown away by the smell, but not the taste. Very high expectations definitely have a lot to do with this. As I continued to drink, however, I really began to appreciate the beer more and more. This beer is everything its cracked up to be. I'm a total East Coast fanboy, but RR hit the jackpot with this one. I will NEVER take this beer off of my wants list unless Vinny decides to set up a RR satellite microbrewery in my garage that produces nothing but PtE. I can't wait to get my hands on some more of this and my desire to try Younger has just increased exponentially.

Edit: I just realized that 4.7 is the highest score I've given.

03-17-2010 19:00:07 | More by AdamGarcia
TJBurgess

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Got a bottle in trade from 2ndloveofmylife, thanks Michael!!

Bottle is dated 1.10.10, opened it 3.16.10.

A: pours out liquid gold with a 2 inch head of sticky white foam. Looks a bit cleaner than I had originally expected. You can almost see all the way through the glass.

S: smells of light hops, slight orange and citrus. It isn't overwhelming or too strong which is probably why I enjoy it so much. I wish my wife would wear this as a perfume!

T: there's a rush of hops and citrus on the front end of this, finished with a light malt. No sensation of alcohol at all. Everything is well balanced, yet not quite as complex as I had expected.

M: light and crisp. Plain and simple. There is a nice lingering of carbonation, but it helps hide the alcohol.

D: more please! I could make this a staple in rotation.

Overall, I really enjoyed it, and it is probably my second favorite DIPA, behind Dreadnaught, to date.

Cheers!

03-17-2010 11:39:46 | More by TJBurgess
bulletrain76

4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

Draught at the Bistro. I have long awaited the day to try Pliny the Eder. Maybe I was expecting too much. Hype is a horrible thing. Piney and grapefruit peel-bitter hops are done exquisitely, within a clear golden body topped by a sticky white head. Aromas of pine needles and flowers. Light and dry as the most drinkable IPA. Not like any IIPA that I've had. So dry and crisp. Bitter, endless finish. I love the dryness and drinkability; it's like a single IPA that manages double the hop load, but The hop profile still falls a bit short. I'm missing the tropical, fruity notes that I get out of some other west coast IPAs. Pliny does it's thing almost perfectly, but that might just not really be my thing in the absolute realm of the hop. Rerate: I get it now. Forgive me, Pliny, for not even a fiery death at Mount Vesuvius could quell your awesomeness. The dryness IS the beauty. I guess it depends whether I am in the mood for a thicker DIPA or a dryer, thinner DIPA, but the power of the hops in this one is outdone by none so far.
Rerate: My first bottled sample, at about three weeks old, as well as draught a couple times in the last two days. Awesome floral hops in the aroma. The flavor is so hoppy, yet the bitterness is so soft and inviting. You really could drink this for a session and not burn your palate out with bitterness or sweetness. Every sip leaves you longing for another, with a perfectly balanced, dry finish. Stunning stuff, but the glass I had at the grad showed how much this can drop off if not properly fresh.

Just having this again on tap at the brewpub; yes, it's better than Younger. Mouthfeel and appearance are perfect. The dryness and drinkability combined with an absolute avalanche of hop aroma and flavor just put this over the top.

03-16-2010 04:39:26 | More by bulletrain76
kirkpjr

Alabama

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Poured from a bottle dated 2/8/2010 into my new Bruery tulip. Huge thanks to route66pubs for a chance to try this one!

A: Pours a beautiful golden orange color with one finger of head. The color is somewhere in between an orange and lemon. Pours 1 finger of head with decent lacing. Slightly opaque.

S: Fresh citrus and piney hops. Loads of orange, tangerine, and pine. Also a scent of manderin oranges. Could smell this one all day.

T: Wonderful powerful yet clean burst of citrus and piney hops. Perfect balance in the front the taste, yet no real malt detected. Smooth on the front end and a hoppy stickiness on the back end.

M: Moderate carbonation. Resinous hops stick to the palette.

D: Most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. No hint of alcohol - just a clean, crisp, refreshing hop bomb.

03-16-2010 02:04:12 | More by kirkpjr
Brez07

Maine

16oz bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 2/8/10

A: A lovely light golden hue. Leaves a 2 finger white head. It dissipates slowly and leaves some lacing

S: Huge hop profile. Pine, grapefruit, orange. Just spectacular

T: As you would expect, begins with an explosion of hops. There is also fruit all over the place - grapefruit, orange, pineapple all blend together nicely. The alcohol is non-existent

M: Very smooth and perfect carbonation. Great bitter taste left on the tongue

D: Superb. This is what all other DIPAs should be modeled after. I love my hops and this beer delivers, completely living up to the hype

03-16-2010 01:15:58 | More by Brez07
sweemzander

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

500mL bottle poured into an imperial pint. Bottled on 02/08/10. Huge thanks to mb2696 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a crystal clear yellow/orange color that produced a huge 2+ finger fluffy white head that has some great retention behind it. So much so that its just clinging to the sides of the glass as it very slowly dissipates. Left huge clumps of stickiness everywhere.

(S)- Just oozing of fresh yet creamy citrus of lemon, pineapple, & lime with a respectable pine needle background. Tons of good hop aromas. Creamy due to the combo of citrus & pine with a light dash of a honey-like sweetness.

(T)- Again, a blast of awesome creamy citrus & pine that is quickly followed with a massive dry bitter pine kick, but again, quickly smoothes out on the finish with a twist of honey sweetness & more of the creamy citrus. Dynamic taste that keeps your taste buds busy.

(M)- A superb carbonation & balance. Big hop flavors with just enough light honey malts to smooth out the edges of an otherwise dry & bitter monster. Never stops changing from creamy fruits, to bittering pine, to sweet malt. Very crisp & refreshing. Surprisingly smooth despite all the bittering dry hops.

(D)- A fantastic DIPA that most definitely lives up to the hype. Has everything that makes a great DIPA. Dynamic with a constantly changing mouthfeel that keeps your tastebuds busy & at full attention. Crisp & refreshing which I like. A great drinker that I could easily have a few of if given the opportunity, particularly since the alcohol level is lower than most DIPAs out there. I am definitely digging this one. Truly just a damn fine beer that I wish I could always have in my fridge.

03-14-2010 16:31:46 | More by sweemzander
SiepJones

I sought this beer out and received it in my first trade. Served from a bottle into my snifter.

Appearance of golden liquid in the glass topped of with an inch and a half of fluffy, bubbly head. This beer is very opaque. There is a small amount of bubbles rise through this beer. The head sticks to glass as it dissipates, forming what look like clouds in the sky.

Taking a whiff from the glass yields a powerful smell of sweet citrus hop with a piney finish.

After having a sip I notice a lemon/citrus hop flavor on the front end which transforms into a grassy/earthy finish upon swallowing.

The feel of this beer is soft on the tongue and gums, while slightly slick when moved around the mouth. I also felt a light tingle or carbonation on my tongue as I swallowed.

This beer lived up to the hype as it was very drinkable. 8% seems low for this beer as you can hardly taste any alcohol. The mouthfeel is soft and the combination of scent and flavor keep you wanting more. I enjoyed this beer so much I finished my first glass before I finished this review.

03-13-2010 02:04:16 | More by SiepJones
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

Bottled on - 011410.

Appearance: Pours out a clear, brilliant, pale gold body with a sudsy, enduring, white head.

Smell: Quite a vibrant nose with many a perfumy aromatic - expressive notes of fresh florals, citrus oils, resinous pine, and even peaches fill the air.

Taste: Starts with a simple introduction of extra pale malts with some cracker tones to it and a relatively light sweetness. Flavors of oily lemon peelings, pine needles swimming in sap, meadow flowers, white grapefruit, and even white peaches usher in a bold bitterness. Picks up some spicy accents on the back end. As one would expect, it finishes dry and bitter with a lingering resinous quality.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Has a slight oily slickness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: After well over a thousand reviews, I'm not sure what there is left to be said. PtE is a stalwart of the style. Drinks with comparative ease considering the bold bitterness and staunch dryness, with almost no notice of the alcohol presence.

03-12-2010 20:51:46 | More by ChainGangGuy
sanjosey19

Those that have already tried Pliny the Elder understand why there's a big A+ at the top of the page. Those that haven't, let me summarize all the reviews you will read: Pliny the Elder is very very good. Like hops? Try it. Now. Don't want a "bitter" beer that fills you up? Grow a pair, and then try it. You'd be short changing yourself if you didn't.

A - Amber, almost orangey color. Very good head retention and good lacing make it an obvious DIPA. Even the head is a bit orange.

S - Excellent, citrus, tangerines, grapefruit, the floral hop aroma dominates.

T - Very closely resembles the aroma, but with extremely well balanced malt characteristics. Sometimes I can even pick out a slightly roasted malty flavor. I like to call it a peanut buttery flavor, but no one I've mentioned this to seems to agree with me, but whatever. I am a bona fide hop head, so this beer is a dream for me. Some people might find the IBU's to be a little much, but I find that the hops are so perfectly balanced that I can pick out two or three different hop flavors.

M - I love the DIPA's because the higher levels of alcohol tend to subdue excessive carbonation, and develop a very smooth, silky mouthfeel.

D - Weighing in at 8%, I doubt I would ever risk drinking two of these for fear of not being able to enjoy all the flavors Pliny has to offer. The first thing I noticed about Pliny was how easy it is to drink. Of course, "drinkablilty" is extremely subjective.

In conclusion, if I could only drink one beer for the rest of my life it would be an easy choice, Pliny the Elder...that is until I get to try Pliny the Younger.

03-12-2010 07:46:04 | More by sanjosey19