Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,302
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

3.93/5  rDev -15.5%

500ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into De Molen stemware in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of nice cream, good thickness, and good retention - especially for the style and ABV. Colour is a transparent yellow.

Sm: Fresh floral bittering hop notes. Maybe cascade? I'm bollocks at guessing hop varietals, but I do know that it's wonderfully pleasant and inviting. A moderate strength aroma.

T: Lovely fresh hop notes and floral notes. The balance is sadly off, with too much bitterness in the 3rd act and finish. It's a shame because the first two acts are so fresh, pleasant, and wondrous. It's quite well built. Deep, layered, and complex for the style. I'm impressed, but it's not without its shortcoming.

Mf: Smooth, pleasant, and wet. I'd definitely stop short of refreshing, but it's pretty good. Complements the flavours really well.

Dr: Very drinkable and pleasant for the style. Hides its ABV very well. I'd have it again on-draught - which is a rarity for me given the style. It's good and pairs well with meat, but it's not quite exemplary. I've had better IPAs.

----

Having tried many more beers in the style, I decided to revisit this one on 12/21/12. Bottled 11/30/12. 510ml brown glass bottle served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass. Expectations are high. Served straight from the fridge.

A: Pours a beige three finger head of nice froth but little cream, good thickness, and great retention considering the ABV. Body colour is a clear yellow/pale copper. No visible yeast. No bubble show.

Sm: Pine, pleasant citrus and floral hops, lemongrass, and nectary hops. No detectable hop bitterness, yeast, or alcohol. Pleasant and fragrant. Above average in strength. Appealing.

T: Grassy body with complex floral notes across the board balanced well against its subtle pine. A bit nectary. Flirts with a light soapy character but never quite crosses the line. Pale malts lend it body without compromising the well-executed balance. No yeast or alcohol comes through. It's very refreshing and enjoyable, with minimal hop bitterness. Very balanced and tasty, if somewhat simple compared to other beers in the style.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Nectary. Refreshing. Good thickness and palate presence; very light for the style and ABV. Complements the flavours well.

Dr: I know far more now about the style than I did when I last reviewed it a year ago (12/08/11 review above), but I still have to give it the same score. There is more to be done with a double IPA, and this is not the best one out there. I recall liking Heady Topper and Port 15 far more than this. An excellent Double IPA that would pair very well with any food. Hides its ABV well. Well priced for the quality ($3.25-$6.99 in L.A.).

B+

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Have this on tap every time i go to falling rock tap house. The smell is just floral and fruity with pine and pot smells to it. Looks like a golden hazy cloud with great lacing to the glass. The taste is smooth as anything on the market with the mouth being full body. Top three IPA/DIPA in the us. cant beat the price at 5 a pint either

4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

First of all, I would like to thank Callmecoon for sending me several fresh bottles of this incredible beer, you're the man. Secondly, I am a diehard Imperial Russian Stout fan and I never thought that I would find an American Double/Imperial IPA that I would enjoy until I tasted Russian River Brewing Company's Pliny the Elder. All I can say is WOW and what an outstanding beer! From the very first sip I feel in love with Pliny the Elder. The aroma and taste (fresh grapefruit) is truly something to behold and I am really impressed with this DIPA to say the least.

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

4.4/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This bottle is seven weeks old-going to try to secure a super fresh one in a couple months and plan to re-review! Bottle poured into a DFH Signature Glass.

A: A light golden orange, with a 1.5 finger foamy head that sticks around for a while. Tons of lacing on the glass as the beer is consumed.

S: Mild amount of hops with notes of juicy orange and pineapple.

T: Medium bitterness from the hops (the perfect variety). Feels great upfront, though I want a touch more bitterness. I'm sure a three week old bottle would give me that. Great notes of sweet citrus forward as well, over a sturdy, but unobtrusive malt base.

M: Really light and creamy. Easily the creamiest IPA I've ever sampled. It's almost bizarre how light and creamy the beer is, especially at 8%.

O: So glad I got to try Pliny. It was much lighter than I expected-I could definitely drink three or four of these in one sitting. I can't wait to trade for some more.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company