Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,843
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros

This is the best beer I ever had. Words don't do it justice. If you like full flavor beer do yourself a favor and find a bar or pub that has this epic poem to the beers gods on tap. you will not be disappointed. I cannot wait to try piney the younger, I've heard that's even better.

noknife83, Dec 14, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

500 ml bottle
Thanks to oregone for the hookup.

Pours a light straw orange amber, semi-cloudy with a one finger off white head. Nice lacing remains. The nose is perfection; citrus and pine hops blended with a malt backbone. Taste is sublime; a hop forward IPA - bitter in the middle and lingers long into the finish. Pine is noticable upfront with light citrus notes. Maltiness is blended so well. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Such a drinkable beer! If only this was available here, it would be my beer of choice every day. Amazing.

heebes, Dec 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Review notes from 12/7/10.
Bottled on date of 11/11/10.
Thanks to BrianTheBrewer30 for this fresh bottle!

Poured in to Duvel Tulip glass.

A - Poured a slightly hazy orange/yellow colour. Not completely cloudy, some light passes through. One finger of bubbly off-white head formed. A little bit of lacing.

S - Bursting with bitter citrus hops that are fresh and juicy. Some light pine notes as well. Grapefruit, tangerine, mango and pineapple. A noticeable but not predominant sweet caramel backbone. A truly exceptional nose.

T - Bitter hops up front. Relative to the nose, more pine and less citrus, but both are still very present. Some grapefruit, orange peel and pine; the tropical fruit notes from the nose aren't evident in the palate. A nice sweet caramel malt backbone that is just present enough to provide some balance. Definitely a hop-forward IPA though. A nice bitter dry finish.

M - Medium body; silky and chewy. Oily. Lightly carbonated.

D - Definitely one of the best I've had. Right up there with Hopslam.

TheSevenDuffs, Dec 12, 2010
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours with a medium sized sticky head, golden color, slightly hazy. Aroma is,uh, hoppy; nice pine and citrus with some cannabis notes. Taste is much like aroma, plus slight sweetness and alcohol. A little sticky on the tongue - a good thing for a DIPA. Mouthfeel is medium all around, dried out by alcohol but sweetened by fruity hop flavors. Bitterness is slightly harsh, a little out of balance with the hop flavor. I can't really say I'm disappointed with a beer this tasty but it doesn't quite live up to the legend. In fact, I preferred the Blind Pig we had just prior to Pliny. It might be an age thing - my bottle was bottled on 11/11 and drank on 12/11... I hope to someday have it fresh on draft.

skivtjerry, Dec 12, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Golden orange with brilliant clarity and a clean white head. Retention is brief, but the tight cohesive foam suggests quality carbonation ahead. The lacing is moderate-good, but in no way unusual for the style.

S: Pine and soft citrus gently usher in notes of menthol, and a peculiar underlying subtle funkiness - almost reminiscent of sweating cheese - hides unexpectedly in the background.

T: The front-palate presents a light, non-descript freshness, accompanied by a sprinkling of powdered sugar. As the delicate malts transcend into the mid palate, their buoyant sweetness is framed by the proud, sharp entrance of the hops. Initially it appears as an ornate frame with bold peripheral biterness distracting from the delicate complexity of this brew. But as the transition continues, the subtleties roll in and out of one another, and it is this exquisite interaction which -for me- makes the beer so god damn good. If you want to talk flavors, citrus zest and grapefruit, powdered sugar, pine, resin, and a very slight biscuitiness are the cast of this show, but like an unforgettable independent film, it's the behind-the-scenes players - the producers, the directors - who make it come alive.

As the head hinted - excellent carbonation. It carries the flavours expertly, acting like velvet wheels on a royal carriage. I could talk about how well the alcohol is disguised, or the way in which the crisp freshness and bitter hops sit in perfect balance with the oxymoronic charismatically-modest malts. But what needs to be noted is that this brew is iconically quintessential. It's like a chic elite party. Everyone who's anyone is in attendance; they've all come out looking their best; and everybody mingles with flawless, elegant etiquette. To read a review is like looking at the photos the next day - you can get a idea of what went on, but the only way to capture the true atmosphere is to attended yourself.

SirRuss, Dec 12, 2010
4.73/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks to forgetfu and THECPJ for bottles recently.

A: Pours a golden color with a large white head that lasted for quite a long time. Beautiful lacing remained the entire length of the glass.

S: Smells incredibly fresh. More pine than citrus, but both are present. There is a lot going on here, some spruce/pine as well as some earthy/grassy hops with some grapefruit and other citrus near the end.

T: In a word, perfect. Very well balanced. Upfront there is a hop bitterness, similar to the nose with tons of pine and a malt sweetness to round it out. The citrus is subtle, but adds nicely to the overall flavor.

M/D: Medium bodied, very crisp. Feels relatively light for a DIPA. Overall, its an amazing beer. Very smooth and easy drinking, one of my favorites.

mdaschaf, Dec 11, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a golden orange color with a Foamy white head. Aroma is a combination of Grapefruit and pine hops - I tasted lemon, grapefruit, and bits of other tropical fruits. There may be slight malt sweetness. Aroma, again, is an explosion of citrus with a wonderful pine hop finish at the end. Medium to Full body, Finish is surprisingly dry. Got this from my sister in Puyallup Washington. Some 2IPA's (Lake Erie Monster, 90 min.) have a lot of Malt Character, not this one
Glad I got 3.

beergod1, Dec 09, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -11.8%

Thanks jenray for the trade and the opportunity to try this!

Bottle dated 11/11/10 and drank on 12/8/10, so its just under a month old. One thing I already like about this beer is that they print "Drink fresh or not at all" on the bottle and then actually print a bottling date. Nothing is worse than no bottling date on an IPA.

500ml bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Look: started with a conservative pour but noticed I wasn't getting enough head, so I gave it a more aggressive pour to end up with a one finger head. The body is hazy, orange/amber. The head is slightly off white and it retains fairly well and ends up leaving a decent amount of lacing in my glass.

Smell: grapefruity, floral, and resinous hops with a hint of pale malt in the background. Given the hype around this, the smell is quieter than I would've expected but it is still quite good.

Taste: follows the nose nicely. There's grapefruity, citrus hops and some floral hops along with some malty flavors like biscuit and toast with resinous hops giving it a dry, hoppy finish. Again, given the hype around this, the taste is fairly subdued. Where's the orgasm of hops in my mouth? Its still quite good though.

Feel: sticky, full bodied, moderate amount of carbonation and the alcohol warmth is hidden very well. Great mouthfeel.

Drink: very drinkable. I could drink this quite a bit.

So, you know when someone talks up a movie to you for a long time? "Oh, man its so good! Its the best movie I have ever seen! Its totally gonna sweep the Oscars! YOU HAVE TO SEE IT!" then you actually do and its a let down because well, it has to be because nothing is as good as the hype. Well, Pliny the Elder is that in beer form for me.

Perhaps it isn't fair, but because of the hype it gets in the forum and the fact that it is the number 2 beer in the world right now, but as soon as I sipped it I began comparing it in my head to beers such as Ithaca Flower Power, the Southern Tier DIPAs, Captain Lawrence IPAs, Stone's Ruination IPA and regular IPA, Bear Republic's Racer 5 and I can't help but think this is up there with them but it doesn't stand above them.

Maybe it is because what I had wasn't fresh enough or because it isn't on tap, but since I am reviewing what I have in the bottle in front of me and I don't think less than a month is enough time to kill a beer, nor should it be enough time to kill a beer. I will however endeavor in the future to have this on tap at the Russian River brewery and hopefully I can see what this is all about.

You definitely should try it given the reputation this has but I recommend you do so with an open mind and try your best not to buy into the hype. Its definitely enjoyable and if DIPAs are your thing, you are probably required by law to try this one. I also can't wait to try the rest of the Russian River line up. Cheers!

SkunkWorks, Dec 09, 2010
4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Thanks to JAYBLACK for this one.

Bottled on 11/2/10
Consumed on 12/7/10

Poured from a bottle into a Smuttynose big beer balloon glass.

The beer pours a slightly hazy orange/amber color with a big foamy white head that slowly recedes leaving behind lots of sticky lacing. There is a steady stream of carbonation throughout the life of the beer.

The aroma fills the room with floral, piney hops as soon as the cap is popped on this gem. The aroma really opens up as the beer is being poured and starts to showcase some citrusy notes as well. No real malt aromas to speak of

The flavor is bursting with piney, floral hops. Not nearly as much citrus in the flavor as in the nose. Lots of hops, but not as bitter as I would have expected. Just the slightest malt presence provides a hint of sweetness to help with keep the bitterness in check. Surprisingly there is really not much in the way of alcohol presence, hard to believe this is a 8% beer. Medium bodied and smooth with a moderate amount of carbonation and a dry finish.

Really quite good, and I can see what much of the hype is about. I tried to make sure that I did not approach this beer with my expectations too high (based on the tremendous amount of hype), and was very happy with this west coast style IIPA.

CBlack85, Dec 08, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Date: 7 December 2010
Glass: Standard 10oz snifter
Type: 500ml bottle

It's been over a year since I sampled this with my best friend Vince (chenzo). It was a time when I knew little about beer. Vince shipped this to me from the West coast. Thanks guy.

Bottled 18 October 2010, but kept cold. Poured 60ºF into two standard 10oz snifters, producing a thumb-sized head with better-than-average lacing (only slightly runny). Color is pure clear gold. Head reduces to a film. First noticeable aroma: lavender. I've used it in homebrews before...and this is the first time I have smelled it in a craft beer. This double IPA is not over- or under-hopped in the slightest. Aromas of perfectly balanced pine and citrus (grapefruit mostly), and a slight sting on the nose like...mint! Mint? Wtf? Well, I like it. Swirled, then tasted, begins with light pine, tropical fruit in the middle, and ending with sweet malt on the palate. Excellent balance between bitter and sweet, hop and malt. This beer hides the 8% ABV perfectly, making it a sneaky session beer in my book. I could get flamed for saying that, but my definition of a session beer is a beer in which you can drink one after another for the rest of the night without the intention of getting drunk. Most people would probably think that 8% is too high. Since I can handle my alcohol, this would be the perfect beer to have all night long. The mouthfeel makes me think that this is a light-bodied beer, although I could be wrong! Is my mind playing tricks on me? Nope. Instead, we give credit to RR for a wonder double IPA.

I wish I could write more about this beer, but not until I visit Vince in California and drink this on tap.

ToAzwethinkweizm, Dec 08, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -9.7%

Had the chance to try this the first time from my wife's cousin Chris who was generous enough to share it with me (along with a Westy 12 the same day. Chris, you da' man!). Reviewed when I had it again after my buddy kyle brought it back from his honeymoon in Cali. straight from the brewery, born just 3 weeks ago. Thanks for thinking of me bro!

Poured into a Bordeaux glass and took pleasant notice of the somewhat rustic, slightly hazy, golden, orange color. Slight off-white head, lingering, about a finger and a half inch thick. Aroma was well balanced, slight caramel malt and fresh, piney, citrusy hops. Even more well balanced was the taste.

This is not a hop bomb like i initially thought it would be. The hops are forward but countered by a complimentary amount of malt presence. What can't be ignored, especially if you had a fresh bottle, is how fresh the hops taste. It's just too hard to explain. It's especially easy to drink because the alcohol is barely detectable...until it warms up a bit. The hops also really intensify as it warms almost making it pleasurably harsh if that makes sense. Mouth feel is slightly sticky and medium bodied. Carbonation is pleasant enough but i feel like a tiny, tiny bit more would help the already fantastic aroma become even more explosive.

This beer is hella drinkable but should be savored too, in order to experience it at various temperatures. I don't know that i've had an (double) ipa in which flavor characteristics change so much as it warms. A fantastic beer overall. Split it with a worthy friend to enjoy the perfect amount.

BruChef, Dec 05, 2010
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Served on-tap into a snifter at TJ's 7th anniversary party. Not the first time I have had this one but still one of the best.

A - Pours deep, hazy, orange with a small cap of white head that stays strong throughout the entire glass leaving thick lacing down the glass.

S - Strong piney, citrus, hops hit you full blast. A bit of sweetness from the malt helps balance it out but once it begins to warm up, more and more hops keep coming out. Absolutely intoxicating.

T - Starts with a bit of pale malts giving way quickly to a massive onslaught of citrus hops. Finish is a bit sweet with lingering hop biternes. I have had this beer quite a few times now and it is still one of the best beers I have ever had. One of the best DIPA's out there.

M - Medium body and flavor with moderate carbonation. Tons of hop bitterness in the finish that lingers for some time. Very good but it could be a tiny bit better.

D - I think I could drink this every day for the rest of my life. With out a doubt one of the best DIPA on the market today. My personal favorite, thats for sure. I am so glad I live near philly.

orangesol, Dec 05, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle dated 11/2/10 poured into a tulip.

Finally got one!!!

Pours a perfect creamy white head. Little soapy foamy bubbles. Slightly cloudy pale orange. Lacing is medium and spotty.

Smell is drop dead amazing. Inviting me to a hop party. Tropical fruits, pine trees, mango, grapefruit, with a pinch of biscuit and caramel malt under it all. I wanna smell this forever.

Taste made me sad I only had one bottle. Same as it smelled. Perfection. Bitterness is potent but unbelievably balanced. Hops hops hops and biscuit left in the aftertaste. Most brilliant tasting beer I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is dead on my style. Oily and medium. Perfect carbonation.

Drink is unreal easy to drink. No alcohol detected. You'd think a beer with this high of IBU's would be hard to drink more than one but I could drink a few of these before feeling completely overtaken with hoppy glory. Sadly, only bought one bottle due to the big price tag and limited availability. Thank you Russian River for making my night just awesome. I'll be tasting those hops till tomorrow morning.

BigDoug, Dec 05, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Had this for the first time at the Monk's Kettle in San Francisco CA on Thursday, December 2, 2010.

A - A bright golden sligthly orange color. I expected it to be more cloudy for some reason but it clearly was not. A light, foamy head of just over one finger I would say

S - Wow. Lots of citrus, oily pine, a hint of caramel, floral and maybe even freshly cut grass. Became more intense after it warmed up a little. This is without doubt the best smelling IPA I have experieinced

T - Unmistakeably west coast, fuity, piney hops in the front. I didn't get too much in the way of malt. Bitter towards the back but not overpowering. No alchohol

M - Good carbonation but not over the top.

D - Very drinkable for a IIPA. In fact it's too drinkable. The word masterpiece comes to mind.

nmoreilly, Dec 04, 2010
4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

poured into a tulip (bottled, 11-11-10)

A.

pours a nice golden straw color with a nice pillow of eggshell colored head. About 1 fingers worth.

S.

outstanding. I'm getting grapefruit, orange, a little apricot and pine in there as well. More citrusy than piny which surprised me. A little malt smell in there. Just incredible.

T.

Again, outstanding. piny hops and malt up front. A little of the citrus hops in there as well. The bitterness is there right up front, but the malts continue throughout the drink and really smooth it out. I little more piny tasting than I'd like, but expected for a west coast IPA.

M.

medium bodied beer with absolute perfect carbonation. This beer goes down so smooth. I wasn't expecting this from a DIPA.

D.

If I had easy access to this I'd drink it every day if I could. Such a smooth tasty DIPA. I feel fortunate to have a friend out in Northern Cal to ship me these. I have 5 more left and it pains me that I'm going to share a couple of these with others, but I want to spread the love.

cetherid, Dec 04, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Served on tap at the RR brewpub.

S - One of the most enticing aromas of any beer I've had, Sculpin being right up there as well. Huge whiff of grapefruit and wet pinecones. I can't detect any malt or alcohol.

T - The taste is incredible. Unlike some (I)IPAs who leave something to be desired after inhaling their aroma, this one does not disappoint. The taste matches the nose almost exactly.

D - It is unfortunate that the abv has to be 8%, because of this I cannot drink enough of this beer. I am too drunk before I am satisfied.

Estocker, Dec 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Served in a Stella chalice. Two fingers of creamy foam. A deep golden reddish hue is welcoming me to drink. Smells of rich hop goodness. In the mouth, a perfect balance of hoppiness and fine rich malt. Finishes dry and repeat. A customer gave me this and I thank him very much.

everettsbeerguy, Dec 04, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to bombadil for the trade. 1 pint 9oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. When I cracked it open the foam crept it's way to the top of the bottle and one big bubble came up and came over the top. I've had that happen a few times but usually the bottle in some way got shaken up a little bit, but not this time. The beer pours out a light golden/amber color, a little lighter than I expected, slightly lighter than most DIPA's I've had. There was initially a big, thick, orange, creamy colored frothy head. I thought there was going to be a fair amount of lacing, but there really wasn't, the lace trickles it's way down after each sip. A little disappointing, but still pretty good.

The smell is exceptional. It gets even better as it warms up. There is a hoppiness to it that is truly complex and intriguing. A beautiful blend of a various array of hops. Citrus, pine, foral, herbal, and even has a nectar/honey sweetness like aroma to it. It maintains it's potency without being to strong. Probably one of if not the best smelling DIPA's I've ever had.

If I were to describe the flavor of this beer in one word it would have to be "complex." The same multiple hop notes carry over from the aroma to the flavor. Initially it really isn't anything special, but there is a lingering effect that is quite tasty. It starts bitter then sweetens up a little, but the sweetness seems to be coming from not only the malts but the hop combination has a play on this. There is still a sweetness to it that I can't quite put my finger on, it brings me back to that honey/nectar but I don't think those are really ingredients, could just be the way it's brewed I guess. On a strange side note, this beer burps up awesome, which is what bumped it up to a 4.5 in my opinion.

The complexity continues in the mouthfeel. It is both light and full bodied all at the same time. It has the light fruitiness and full maltiness aspects of big DIPA's. The Drinkability is outstanding. It's a slightly lower than average alcohol for a DIPA, but has a lot of big flavors as the big boys.

I'm a little conflicted, I really did enjoy it, but I enjoy this style. I wasn't as blown away as I expected. I guess I just gave into the hype. I'd love to review it again sometime and get the opportunity to review a fresh one. It's not available in MA so I gotta trade for it. I feel lucky just to have the opportunity to try it, and I don't think it'll be the last. Who knows maybe some day I'll get to CA and get to review a fresh one, sounds like a pretty good day.

AndyAvalanche, Dec 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured my first Pliny (props to Jolon for hooking it up) into a Duvel tulip with the aroma filling the air.

The ale had a brilliant orange-gold color, capped by a 1cm white head, which dissipated after a min. leaving a nice display of lacing.

The freshness of the beer is clear not only in the bottling date(11-02-10), but also in the aroma which is composed of nice citrus meets floral characteristics. Beneath the hops lies a sweet, breadiness from the malts.

Taking the first couple sips, the beer comes across with a medium body. The carbonation is just about right on, allowing the ingredients to make the impression by just being high enough to enhance the experience. Right before the beer slides down the throat, a dryness comes out which results in my body begging for more.

The taste seems to higlight the grapefruit, citrus notes of the hops more than other characteristics. The hops also create a pleasant spicyness which comes out more in the flavor than the mouthfeel.

This has got to be one of the most drinkable 2xIPAs I have had. The hops levels meet the maltiness just right allowing the beer to be enjoyed for what it is while my general experiences of 2xIPAs usually results in a muddle of malts and hops. PTE is smooth, spicy, sweet, dry, floral and citrusy IPA that is simple in terms of enjoyment, yet complex once one delves into it.

bernie879, Dec 03, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

A. Bright and golden in color with excellent clarity and absolutely no haze. Snow-white fluffy head that leaves behind thick lacing. As the foam settles the carbonation remains.

S. Sharp evergreen hop aroma with a hint of sweet orange peel. While the nose in overwhelmingly resiny hops- there is a sticky- sweet malt undertone lurking in the darkness.

T. The taste is effervescent, piney hops from the very beginning. Many DIPAs are overwhelmed by such hops but this one has plenty of other things going on. There is a dry biscuity malt backbone to carry the hops along with a fruity sweetness and firm bitter finish that leaves you wanting more.

M. Chewy and bold it is light but still satisfying. The carbonation is just enough to accentuate the hops and keep things entertaining.

D. A true pleasure, and something everyone should try. I cannot even begin to think of what I would do to get this distributes in my area so that I could savor it more often.

hopstradamus, Dec 02, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Want to give BleedsLakerP&G a big shout out for hooking me up with this -

Poured from (500ml) bottle - bottled on 09 23 10.

Poured a cloudy light amber , Two finger head that dissipated rather quickly,moderate lacing with decent carbonation .

Smell - Light apricot hints ,pine notes, hops.

Taste - The hops jumped out of the glass and put my tongue into a full arm nelson, light citrus ,apricot flavors but mostly hops w/ pine notes.

Drinkabilty - This is a great example of a American Double IPA, was it over hyped ? Not in my opinion -This would be the standard I would measure any American Double IPA with. Very drinkable - I really enjoyed this, to bad it's not more readily available to the Midwest Great lakes area .

InebriatedJoker, Nov 30, 2010

Drinking in celebration of FSU beating UF for the first time in 6 years. Traded working that day for one of these bad boys.

Poured into HB hefe glass fom 1 pint bottle

A- Pours a tangerine orange with a bone white head that sat at about 1/2 an inch. leaves shreds of lace running down the glass as the head deflates. Looks pretty flawless.

S-This thing is powerful. The smell erupted from the bottle and the glass can be held away from you at a distance of about 8 inches and still u assaulted with an overload of citrus and grapefruit hops with hints of sweetness. kind of hard to detect anything beyond the world of floral amazing aromas rising from the glass. No apparent alcohol. No off scents. just pure un-adulterated hop juice.

T-First taste is instant bitter which is rushed out of the picture by an explosion of massive orange peel and lemon zest followed by fresh ruby-reds. crazy as it is, Hops are all over the place and no real malt in sight but yet the bitterness is not showcased. All of the sweet citrus keep rolling in waves as this guy warms up we'll see what else shows up(if i had another of these this one would have been finished after the first sentence. As it warms the hops fill in every nook and crany of my taste buds. Cant find anything wrong. Im looking...

M- The carbonation is flawless and keeps the whole beer bubbling enough for entertainment. After the fan fare dies down the rest becomes silky smooth.

D-This is stellar. It has every key component of perfection. Minus the fact that I cant go to a store and buy this every day. Im beyond impressed and amazed. Now im going to finish the bottle. I really hate to claim a beer is flawless....if I think of one ill add it later.

Fieldzy27, Nov 29, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

On-tap at Capone's

Appearance: Golden with a thin white head.

Smell: Citrusy - pineapple, mango, passionfruit, grapefruit, sweet slightly bitter hops.

Taste: Taste follows the nose - sweet pineapple, mango, grapefruit and tangerine followed with a nice hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: There is a reason that I always get this on draft whenever I can, this is insanely drinkable and I've never been disappointed by one of these.

Axic10, Nov 29, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle dated 11/2

A - Pours with a finger of foam. Orange in color, with a bit of lacing. Very clear as well.

S - Citrus and hops. This is really balanced well for a DIPA. It has almost a tropical smell. Also a note of pine.

T - Wow. I know this beer gets tons of hype, but it is warranted. Easily the smoothest IPA I've had. The balance of hoppiness and sweet is incredible. Very tasty.

M - Smooth, and rediculously light bodies for the style and ABV. This is in my opinion what separates Pliny from other IPA's.

D - Yes. The only limitation is that I can't get this easily in NY. I could and would have this regularly.

I can only imagine this on tap.

socon67, Nov 28, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

beer pours a clear amber with white head

smell - pine, grapefruit, nectar, caramel, honey

taste - hops, grapefruit, mango, honey

mouthfeel - crisp & clean, slightly bitter upfront, sweet in the body, slightly bitter on the finish, but this is good.

drinkability - at ~$5 for 500ml, not gonna go through a lot of it, but this is a nice drinking beverage that I would gladly revisit as this is a style that admittedly I am not a huge fan of, but this was really good, it actually had me yearning for another

keithmurray, Nov 28, 2010