Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,997
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.08/5  rDev -12.3%

pour is a very clear golden/light amber with minimal white lacing that disappears quickly and leaves a stringy lacing.

smell: nice resonous beginning, subtle alcohol and a floral/earthy hop massacre.

taste: sugary, followed by a hefty dose of grassy/piney hops. minimal alcohol.

mouthfeel: oily as possible. me likey.

northaustin, Apr 28, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a hazy orange sunset with red tones. Bottled 4/06/11. The head is three fluffy fingers of egg shell white foam that slowly dissipates leaving thick spider web lacing. Nose has rich malts, floral/pine, some lighter citrus notes and almost a little spicy hop bitterness. Taste is alot of bitter piney hops upfront, a touch of earthiness, rich malts that balance nicely with a hoppy finish, not overly sweet. Very drinkable for a dipa but i still like a touch more complexity out of what i am drinking - maybe some tropical fruit or heavier citrus notes. The beer is well balanced but it is simply perfect with just a hop/malt balance and not much else there.

Trilogy31, Apr 28, 2011
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have to thank my buddy Nick for the trade and getting me this beer fresh! The bottle is only 21 days from being bottled. I poured the bottle into a pint glass to find a great golden colored body with an one inch white head. As I drank the beer you could see the white lacing sticking to the glass. The aroma is dominated by the grapefruit hops and at the same time is very inviting. The taste is exceptional the floral citrus flavors hitting your pallet immediately. Though at the same time it has a great balance and is not over powering at all, its clean and crisp. There is a perfectly balanced bitter - sweet aftertaste that after a few seconds leaves you wanting more. The mouthfeel was great, like I said its very balanced and you don't really notice the alcohol at all, especially being at 8%abv.

Overall this is an exceptional beer and I think its worth the hype. My first thought is that its sad that you can't sit on this beer and save it for a special occasion. At the same time getting your hands on this finely made beer is special enough to make an occasion out of it!

Dan3279, Apr 27, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

500mL

A- A deeper yellow with a medium, bright white head. Decent amount of rockiness and nice retention. Very sticky, encompassing lace.

N- Heavy kumquat, red grapefruit, Valencia orange, tangerine. When this beer is fresh, you really get a tropical fruit explosion. Papaya is possible. The hop extract used here is quite a change.

T- Even when fresh PtE is quite astringent, piny, resiny, with bitter peel and melon rind. Fruit and oil up front move quickly to an onslaught of IBUs in the finish with bitter Brazil nut and Kola nut.

P- A little prickly, sharp carbonation, mostly oily and thick/oily.

It's definitely an amazing experience, but with so many amazing West Coast DIPAs out there, it's really not much better than things like fresh Sculpin, Double Jack, and greatly inferior I think to Alpine Duet.

tarheels86, Apr 27, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

500mL bottle opened and shared with Emmaus217 on April 24, 2011.

Bottled on March 29, 2011

A- Poured in a Cigar City snifter. An absolutely beautiful golden straw color with a fantastic 1 finger white head that stays for a long time. Incredible lacing on the glass after each sip.

S- Glorious hops. Sweet glorious hops. Pine, citrus and floral notes, along with a strong grapefruit characteristic. This smells not of this world.

T- All hops again! Sweet and strong citrus notes throughout, with a nice floral undertone. Strong grapefruit and orange presence. A well balanced and perfect Double IPA.

M- Lots of bitterness comes through from the hops, but it's surprisingly clean and crisp with a nice bitter aftertaste after your last sip, calling you back for more.

O- This is the finest example of the style I've ever had. Simple, yet complex in all the right ways, nothing really gets in its way of just knocking your socks off with hop bite and a clean and crisp feel. It does what it does perfectly.

JoshVandy, Apr 26, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Poured from the 1 pint .9 fl oz bottle...

A- Pours a very nice, crisp looking golden honey yellowish color. Pours with a 1 and 1/2 finger head that leaves excellent lacing around the glass.

S- Fruity, sweet hops. Strong mango, orange and grapefruit come through, smells F-ing fantastic!

T- A nice citrusy hop flavor, similar to the smell, equally as pleasant. A nice bitter finish. Not as floral as the scents it gives off, but the balance is as good as it gets. The 8% abv is well masked.

M- Clean and crisp, nice medium bodied DIPA. A nice creamy feel, really perfect.

D- HIGHLY drinkable. Too bad there's not a plethora of this stuff to go around. Especially up here in New England, thanks to my brother in San Diego, I have 3 bottles!
And as the label says over and over and over and over, I will not be aging this one. Too good to wait on anyways.

Cheers!

ccm414, Apr 26, 2011
3.45/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

OMFG, let the hate begin. Poured a golden color into that damn shaker glass. Aroma of citrus and pine. Taste was citrus with too much bitterness in the end for my palate. Good but I don't see the "holy crap. I HAVE to try this. My pallete just doesn't sem to get it.

Schmittymack, Apr 25, 2011
4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Pliny we meet again and you are 21 (Days) today congrats....Welcome, im pouring you into a stone specialty glass and you give me a white cloud of God 2 1/2 fingers of head (its the glass) your color i call, goldenhoneyfuck

A - Mangerine brilliance and flashes of pineapple...you know now that i think about it i really like pineapple flavors and aromas in beer. Slap of grapefruit in the back but mostly sweet fruits, light piney hops also somewhere in between the beginning and end, what gives. GO HOME SON

T - follow the yellow brick road, that amazing fruity pineapple and its gay cousin, mangerince. Good mango flavors blend with the fresh hop notes like something i can't explain or shows a great blendiscidic appeal. the hops not overpowering which sometimes i want, but not this time,not in the face of Zeus like hopping. The alcohol is a ghost rider in the dreams of david hasselhoff with miniature nicholas cages dancing to salsa ever so creepily.

M - Medium bodied, medium to low carbonation...for me this is where the beer becomes God like, this absolute creamy feeling is what creates it more significant than the challengers. This aspect is top of the line for the dipa family.

O - It definitely lives up to all the hype, which i find rather obnoxious but it is what it is, it is Pliny, a behemoth of a creature that ice skates to Con te Partiro while knitting portraits of his family, which brings me to my final thought...I want the younger, Cali im coming GODSPEED
Thanks D

JayAre46, Apr 25, 2011
4.65/5  rDev 0%

bottle date 3/29/11 got on a trade
A:poured a honey golden color with a loose white head.
S:the first whiff goes through my head like a wave, beautiful smell of citrus hops with pine notes
T:taste of piney hops with a bitter end that does not linger
M:increadably smooth mouth feel
O:hops meet creamy mouthfeel with a balenced bitter end,loved it
Wolf among scrubs

dlap, Apr 25, 2011
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks for the trade Dnarx, really appreciate you coming out there.

Bottle dated 03-29-11

Appearance-Crisp light golden color w/ a bit of haze. Two good inches of head that slowly dissapears, leaving about a 1/2 finger head thats been pretty stirdy for a while now. Nice lacing.

Smell-This is exactly the aroma I want on my air freshener in my car, house, and cologne. Hands down the best aroma I've ever smelt coming from a beer, or anything. Instantly slapped in the face with different tropical fruits and citrus. At first I got the Mango, then the citrus(lemon, grapefruit), then some pineapple and back to the mango. Perfection.

Taste-Hops aren't as much as the star as I thought. They stay around throughout the whole experience, strongest on the finish along with the pine. Off the bat you get a light, crisp, citrus flavor, and towards the middle you get some of the tropical fruits. I'm stuck between a 4.0 and a 4.5.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, smooth, crisp, once again another perfect trait. Medium bodied, great carbonation, no alcohol detected, no burn.

Overall-This beer is so easy to drink. The expectations are SOO high on this beer and the Aroma and Mouthfeel are spot on. I think I was expecting a little more of a slap in the face, but still a great beer. Nonetheless, I would drink this every day.

SWMeyer4141, Apr 24, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

BA review #100, perfect timing on this one.

I got a bottle of this from my buddy Jeff in Seattle. Being so sought after I was expecting a lot from this beer. A few of my friends have come across it in the Philly area on tap, but I had yet to have it. Split this bottle with my buddy Greg to celebrate his newly acquired fatherhood.

500ml bottle dated 3.21.11 (one month and one day old) -> Duvel tulip.

A - Cloudy bright gold, foamy off white head, light sticky lacing. Small head retention through the tasting. Steady carb streams at first.

S - Extremely aromatic, complex hop and citrus notes. Some dank earthy hop tones creep up as it warms.

T - Up front citrus sweet, mild hop bitterness. Middle is tart and creamy orange sweet. Feels extremely well balanced between the sweet and bitter side. Both sides shine!

M - Decent carb fizz, feel thin to medium bodied.

O - Tastes and feels very well balanced, looks gorgeous and there's no hint of alcohol. Very easy drinking and not a palate killer. This lives up to the hype. It's an extremely well made beer. Within the style you won't find one better.

tbrown4, Apr 24, 2011
4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

Appearance: deep golden color, nice head, and carbonation.

Smell: immediate strong sense of hops, citrus and pine.

Taste: The hop flavor was certainly very noticeable. Wish it tasted more like it smelled.

Mouthfeel: smooth w/ a bit of creaminess.

Drinkability: Pliny is good and getting through the pint is not a problem, though I have to say I prefer Odell IPA and Mycenary to this.

buffs9, Apr 23, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

I have had PtE several times on tap and from the bottle, so I thought it was time to give it a review.

Poured into a Pint, with bottle date code 3-21-11.

A- Bright orange, that is slightly hazy, it clears a bit, but neaver all the way. Maybe I don't wait long enough. Thick, foamy white head with good retention, fades down to almost nothing, but again never leaves. Solid lacing on the glass.

S- Smells like Pine, and Citrus - Orange, grapefruit, and bit of lemon.

T- Tastes like creamy orange and other citrus fruits with a hint of pine.

D- How smooth and creamy can this be? Nice carbonation and balance.

O- You can't ignore the hype, but this one is tops. Compares nicely to Younger, but the flavor is just enough differnt. If you haven't tried it yet, get one now!

HuskyinPDX, Apr 22, 2011
4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a light, golden color with thick white head that does not dissipate.

Smells of fruity hop and subtle malt

Tastes of hop....fruity (tropical fruit notes), tangy, slightly bitter, sweet...grapefruit in the back.

Mouthfeel is great, silky smooth.

I was expecting to be knocked out by this beer, but it is subtle and really makes its point on the smooth, fruity hop flavor that lingers on the palate longer than you would want most other beers.

Edit: Two more bottles later and drinking other, comparable beers, this really is worth the hype. The oily finish is simply like no other.

TenHornsProud, Apr 22, 2011
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks to Dnarx. Mad props for hooking me up.

A: poured a beautiful golden honey with 1.5 fingers of bright white fluffy head. STICKY lacing all the way down. Ahh shit son

S: pineapple, mango, grapefruit dominate my nose with a great pine hop backbone

T: Follows the nose quite nicely. Getting all of the tropical fruit and the pine hoppiness. My taste buds are all fully aroused.

M: medium bodied and perfectly carbonated. The smoothest DIPA I have ever had. Drying hop finish but not an overly bitter/dried out aftertaste. Close to perfection

O: this beer definitely walks the walk. The hype is on the money. Amazing to say the least

dcloeren, Apr 21, 2011
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

500ml bottle dated 03 21 11.Poured into snifter at fridge temp.

A. Awesome Deep gold body slight haze to it.Three finger fluffy offwhite head that recedes to a nice cap. Leaves a good bit of sticky lacing all over the glass.Good carbonation coming from the bottom.

S. Big piney hop notes up front smells crisp and clean.I get alot of pineapple in there,also some passion fruit.Slight hints of lemon also the floral notes as well.Excellent smelling beer.

T. Big hop bitterness right away,just like the smell big piney notes followed by pineapple and mango.Not really that balenced in my opinion.Big bitter after taste lingers.

M. Mouth is excellent.Has A medium feel kind of creamy,so smooth, alchohol is very well hidden.Good carbonation definately tingles the pallet.

Overall this is one of those beers that lives up to the hype.Everyone should try this beer at least once.One of the best DIPA's I have had to date.

Marty30, Apr 21, 2011
4.65/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to Preismj for helping me obtain this one! Drank from a tulip glass on 4/19/11, bottled on 3/21/11... Tough to get it much fresher considering my circumstances, though I'd be curious to know the difference that a few weeks made! Next time I'm out west...

A- 4.5 Pours a pretty, pure and clean golden yellow with a tremendous two finger fluffy white head. It is just transparent. As it dissipates, it leaves what looks like half-melted ice cream in the center. This reduces to about 1/2 - 1 finger throughout. The brew leaves very sticky lacing all over the glass as I make my way through, and there's a gentle layer of tiny bubbles under its head with every movement. Very uniform. It looks great, though I suppose I expected just a tad more color.

S- 5 This smells of hops and citrus, especially grapefruit. There is more fruit here as well, maybe peach... What sets it apart from others within the style that I've come across is that it has a sweet, flower-like aroma to back it up that is very appealing. At first I find more of the hops to come through, but as it warms it really does open up to more of the sweetness and fruit-like blend. Excellent.

T- 4.5 The elusive PtE (midwesterner, here) tastes as was hinted by its aroma, and is very good. I again get its hops up front, and that is followed by a citrus. Grapefruit and orange come to mind; I'm not getting as much of the floral as I did from the scent, but there is just enough sweetness to balance its finish well. Also, its alcohol is very well-masked.

M- 5 Honestly, it is perfect. Medium in body and the carbonation is just right. It goes down easily and crisp, but finishes with a very complementary touch of creaminess that I'm not sure I've had before in the style, and this just makes it top notch. There's only the slightest dryness, and i find myself wanting more of it as soon as it is gone.

D- 4.5 I would happily take down this brew with the slightest of restraint... It is very tasty, powerful, and balanced. I think it'd be something that I'd savor for nice occasions. Part of me saying that is due to the fact that I can't just go out and buy it where I am located; maybe it'd be different if I could get it all the time. Either way, I had high expectations because of its hype and it really did live up to it. I was probably more critical of it than I am on average given the circumstances, and it was still tough to find fault. An excellent beer that is deserving of its praise, and I hope to enjoy it again.

KYBrewgrass, Apr 20, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Bottle split with me by Malreever. Super fresh, bottled on 3/29/11.

Ap - Golden color, 1 finger rocky white head. Good retention. Super clear.

Ar - Extreme citrus, tons of hops. Super strong aroma, nothing but hops to it.

T - Grapefruit, orange, and tangerine, strong bitterness in the back of the mouth. Pretty much no hint of anything but hop flavor in it. Maybe a touch peppery.

M - medium-light body, strong but not overwhelming carbonation. No heat to it. Very clean feeling.

O - Extremely good DIPA. Can definitely see why this is a classic. Tons of hop character, with nothing else getting in the way. Really only suitable for a total hop-head. Way too drinkable for 8%. For someone who loves hops, I really can't imagine this getting much better.

stageseven, Apr 19, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -11.2%

My first Pliny

A- Pours light golden color and sits copper/gold in my glass. 2 finger head thats slightly off white with great retention and lacing.

S- The sweet citrus comes through first, grapefruit, orange, followed by a subtle malt.

T- very balanced upfront, then followed my medium bitterness that turns sweet the end. Sweet/bitter linger

M- lighter mouthfeel with medium carbonation

O- nice IPA. Im more of an unbalanced piney IPA guy but definately apprecite this one.

Gushue3, Apr 18, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

ive had it many times before and also on tap, but this is the first time ive gotten around to writing a review.

a - golden straw/hay hue. looks a little lighter than the average IPA, i never noticed that before with this beer. a nice bubbly half finger head. also a little peachy color.

s - freeeessshhh and hoppy. this bottle is 10 days old and im so lucky that its as fresh as it is. citrus peel, grapefruit, a little bisquity/malty.

t - moderately hoppy and sweet flavors off this bat. a sweet and almost spiced like blend between the two worlds. very smooth and palatable. nothing that knocks you off your feet, just perfectly balanced. slightly floral and piny.

m - very tame but exiting. mild-med carbonation but an overtaking bready, malty aftertaste that keeps kickin with a hint of everything else in the backround. this sticks to the pallet very nicely.

o - what can i say, im a lucky guy to be able to get me some pliny on the reg. now if only i could get my hands on a glass of the younger on draft...

alenonbeeradv, Apr 18, 2011
4.28/5  rDev -8%

Thank you Brian for bringing this bottle to Lakewood!

A) Golden color to be expected from an IPA, but the head leaves a thin layer of bubbles that cover 90-95% of the top resembling the fog over the swamps of Dagobah.

S) Hoppy, and perhaps a hint of citrus that is difficult to pin down.

T) First impression is "This isn't that hoppy, what's the big deal here" and then the tart flavor of Grapefruit rushes in and brings me back to fond memories of fresh-squeezed Grapefruit juice in a small hotel in Argentina. As a person who ALWAYS chooses grapefruit (in addition to coffee) when given the option on a breakfast menu, this was a real treat indeed!

M) Tart, biting, acidic and dry... If you close your eyes, you could truly believe you are in fact drinking grapefruit juice.

O) An all around great beer.... still not the "knock it out of the park" life-altering experience the hype would lend oneself to believe, but a really great beer that I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to taste. I would certainly pick it up frequently if I were in an area that had this fine beer distributed.

Jparkanzky, Apr 17, 2011
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Spectacular golden-orange color, white head - chunky when on tap, foamy and even from the bottle. Usually about two fingers. Beautiful, beautiful lacing.

Good God, this beer smells good. Floral, citrus, pine hop aromas. Just wafting in your face.

Puckery grapefruit, and in comes the deliciousness - a cocophany of bitter but tasty hop aromas - flowery perfume, oily pine resins, citrusy grapefruit with the rind. Mild sweet undertones from some malt, but not as forthcoming as the sweetness in the Pliny the Younger.

Medium-bodied and spectacularly drinkable. Make that dangerously drinkable. A bomber of Sculpin and a couple bottles of Pliny the Elder in my fridge spells a lot of trouble for me. Just begging to be quaffed. Good carbonation.

This is a great beer. If it could be believed, I would say this is like Pliny the Younger with slightly muted flavors and a little less balance. A world-class, year-round offering from Russian River.

ghetto90007, Apr 17, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -11.8%

Received in my Secret Bunny basket from mymrnngjckt. Thanks, Kevin! Bottle dated 2/17/11.

Poured into a snifter. Pours a deep gold with an egg shell white rocky head of about two fingers. Head is slow to drop. Some lacing evident.

Aromas of strong citrusy grapefruit hops. Fermented pineapple. Grapefruit zest. Freshly mowed grass. No malt to speak of.

Flavors of bitter, citrus hops, a hint of a malt backbone. Grapefruit and grapefruit zest. This is all about the hops. Finish is long, bitter, and full of grapefruit. For the amount of hops used in this, I'm pleasantly surprised their isn't a grassy note to the flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium with a mouthcoating bitterness, washes the tongue and back of the throat with a puckering bitterness.

Overall an excellent brew. But not up to the hype. I was expecting a more "wow" factor. Again, a very good beer, but not mindblowing.

JamnesCameron, Apr 17, 2011

Drank at Mad Monk Fremantle

Bottle dated Oct 10

A - Pours a slightly hazy, golden colour with a two fingered White head that reduces to a decent film and laces. 4.5

S - Aromas of citrus and pine with a complex mix of pineapple and a little malt.
4.0
T - Quite bitter up front, with very strong hop pine flavours that follow, a little malt ensues, before a very long crisp bitter finish, that just tops this beer off.4.5

M - Light to medium body with medium carbonation.4.5

O - I drank this beer way after its prime and still it’s one of the best IPA's that I have ever had. I will review again when I get a fresh one. 4.5

Ok This bottle Bottled on 4th May 2011.

Thanks to Nicks6217 for this one

A - Pours a clear copper golden colour with an off White head that retains well. 4.5

S - Mango and passionfruit with some pine. 4.5

T - What a difference. Nice hop explosion up front that consists of Mango and passionfruit. The piney hop are almost too much and the finish id dry, bitter and very long. 4.5

M - Light to medium body, a little sticky and medium carbonation. 4.5

O - The best DIPA that I have tried to date. 4.5

eric5bellies, Apr 16, 2011
4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured from a bottle dated 2/2011. Is this the bestest, most hoppiest, but well balanced beer ever?
A- gold. clear liquid gold. good 2 finger head. crisp, white.
S- citrus hoppiness with a touch of pine. only a nose that hop-lovers could understand.
T- yes, a fairly bitter strike going into a nicely balanced malt bill. did I say balanced for a beer this hoppy - YES! Slight ethyl taste. Love the dryness. It's amazing to have a double IPA so dry and crisp. Way too drinkable.
M-mmmm
O- Yes, and yes. Simcoe makes this beer just wonderful. Drink it fresh - don't get an old bottle on sale, that's bad form for this style of IPA. Yum.

lechroy, Apr 14, 2011