Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,545
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Beernoisseur

Utah

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Do my eyes deceive me? Is it true? Do I really have a bottle of Pliny in my house?

This is another of the beers that are difficult to come by in Utah, So I hope you'll forgive me my moment of star struck exuberance.

The pour from the bomber into my snifter is a beautiful one. Radiant honeyed gold with a medium white head. Aggressive carbonation keeps it around. Elder laces well.

The smell and flavor are incredibly hoppy, and particularly strong in the pine/citrus arena. There's a thin candy shell of sweetness wrapped around the whole thing, but the chewy center? Hops. Many of them. Angry legions of hop ruffians out to mug your palate and steal your senses. Later on, there's a transmutation toward the finish to a flavor that has at least traces of dough like breadiness. Very, very, very good. traces of florals and fruitiness are found throughout.

The mouthfeel is a solid medium body with good carbonation. The two combine to deliver a wonderful aesthetic treat for my mouth.

Drinkability? Wow. How drinkable is Pliny The Elder? Let me ask you this, my friend. How spendable is $1,000,000?

04-16-2009 22:37:52 | More by Beernoisseur
drunkmonk

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Brash clear golden orange. Nice thick head dissapates to a nice firm sheet of lace. Rings of stickage all the way down. Immense aroma of sappy pine needles, grapefruit, papaya, and faint sweet malts hiding in the background. Entry is much like the nose, with strong oily pine and citrus hops coating the tongue in a most pleasing manner, sticky to a degeree. Malts although present, playing a meek second fiddle. Finish is semisweet malt with orange marmalade and grapefruit fade. I would like to drink this for the remainder of the afternoon into evening, but you just can't. With the some of all it's parts, one would think this would be cloying or over the top after a while, but it's not. The alcohol is extremely well integrated here, to the point where trouble could and would come very easily if one hasn't planned out a safe way home already. Beleve the hype on this puppy. Fantastic stuff. Hate to see this last bottle go.

04-15-2009 21:53:47 | More by drunkmonk
rasta16ry

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I've been hanging onto this bottle of Pliny since late February, so I figured I'd better drink it before it gets any less fresh. I've had it fresher before, and I'm sorry I didn't just drink it the day I got it, but it ended up being awesome anyway. I poured it into a pint glass, and it was very bubbly and a bright kind of yellow/orange. It had a pretty one inch head, and it kind of sparkles when it's sitting there. Really a nice looking beer.

The smell is great, piney and Christmas and citrus and hops and grapefruit and all sorts of bouncy scents. It really smells and looks great.

Plus the taste certainly matches the smell and look too. It doesn't even taste like an IPA to me, it's kind of its own category. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but I really wouldn't lump it in with any kinda style because I feel like it cheapens it a little. It's more refreshing than an IPA usually is, even though there is some bitterness at the end of it. It really is a hopzilla, and no malt to speak of. But the pine, citrus and other stuff is definitely in there and it helps to make it taste refreshing.

This beer very much reminds me of Christmas, and I think I like it better than the Blind Pig. I will get as much of this as I possibly can, whenever I can. I'll even save it and have it less fresh, because it's still great even then. Win!

04-15-2009 18:39:01 | More by rasta16ry
crazeguy

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottled on 030909. Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Pilsner Glass.

Slightly hazy orange yellow with carbonation still bubbling up slightly. White head.

Smells like a pine tree and a hop garden had baby's. This is that offspring.

Taste is much like the smell, but better balanced. If it wasn't for the lingering aftertaste(which isn't a bad thing) this would be a perfect 5.

Mouthfeel, again that aftertaste comes into affect but its amazing aside.

Drink, I would love to chug this if it didn't taste so damn good.

04-15-2009 08:13:25 | More by crazeguy
Chelsea1905

Washington

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful golden orange, with a fully bubbbly head, and small bubbles that move slowly up the glass, often overtaken by racing bubbles that seem to surround everything. The lacing is good, not overly sugary, but still shows where you've pulled.

Smells rather like that Maharajah, in as much as it permeates hops straight away. Some slight sweetness in there that hides the overly citrus hops that hit you straight away. I swear to goodness, I smell something that reminds me faintly of cheese in there....but in a good way. Slightly floral notes in there like those of the Hercules DIPA from great divide.

Tastes like it smells, at first. Hops and wet grass, some tree bark in there too. Then the initial citrus acidic hit of the hops are washed away as the malt takes over. I actually find this beer to almost get more hoppy and acidic as the beer goes down.

Great full to medium mouthfeel with minimum effervescence, just the way an IPA should be.

This goes down well, and masks its 8% well, unlike other DIPA's who's over exuberance in becoming high in abv can lead to an over powering alcohol taste.

A great DIPA and wirth the search

04-14-2009 05:06:17 | More by Chelsea1905
asabreed

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

16.9 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. Bottled 03.03.09, so it's still pretty fresh.

Appearance: Slightly hazy peach color with good carbonation and raindrop lacing. I noticed a lot of yeast on the bottom of the bottle, so we'll see how that changes the dynamic of the flavors with subsequent pours, if at all.

Smell: Hugely piney more than anything, though as it warms there's heavy peach nectar and tropical fruit. Lots of resin and sap aromas too. A big spiciness to everything. A bit of a floral and herbal component also as it warms. Big and complex with a lot admire each time your nose is in the glass (which should probably be a tulip, chalice, or snifter, in my opinion).

Taste: What I like is the tropical fruit and peach aromas come through in the taste, but it's still a kick-your-ass DIPA, not one relying on a huge malt backbone. This is definitely for a hophead. A bit of breadiness and nice apple skin as far as the fruit goes. But the bitterness is full on, and very nicely done. Long finish with huge citrus flavors and spiny, spicy hops, along with some juicy apple and ripe peach poking through the bitterness and grapefruit characteristics as it warms.

Mouthfeel: Nice carbonation with both an admirable medium fullness and enough micro-like bubbles to help the flavors come out without being too much on either side. It gets better, not surprisingly, with subsequent pours and as it warms.

Drinkabilty: Hell yes. I'm not sure it's my favorite DIPA, but it's certainly up there, and is worthy of all the talk. They do a hell of a job with this. And for as complex as it is, it's too easy to drink, mostly because there's are so many things to taste and pick out. Which is, of course, awesome, and awful. Worth seeking out for sure.

04-14-2009 04:25:51 | More by asabreed
sarahspat

4.78/5  rDev +2.8%

I've been looking forward to drinking this beer for a long time. Thanks to raoulduke37 for hooking me up with this and so many other great brews!

Beautiful peachy, sunset orange color, with a steady stream of rising bubbles early on. When I hold it to the light, I see quite a few tiny floating particles, which I actually like, even though this causes some people worry. Sizable fluffy off-white head, which leaves a few globs of lace behind.

The nose is comprised of christmas-tree-caliber pine, citrus, peach, pineapple and subtle floral notes. In short, a very nice DIPA smell and then some. I've seriously never smelled such an amazing pine scent in a beer before, but the fruit smells are no less powerful. Gotta love that candied pineapple!

The taste is just amazing. It even exceeds my (very high) expectations. It echoes the smell, but surpasses it in force. It starts off bitter and piney. There is a full-force, but short-lived glimpse of sweet tropical fruits, candied pineapple and white grapefruit, and fresh oranges somewhere in the middle. Pine sap and bitterness slowly take over and become increasingly more dominate leading into the finish, which is very piney, very bitter and dry. What else can I say about the taste?... Hops... Hops... Not much malt here, or if there is, you can't hear it over the volume of the hops.

This beer has probably the fullest mouthfeel of any DIPA I've ever had. Very thick and smooth. It's pretty drinkable too; I put back the whole 16.9 oz. bottle without much trouble. Not much of an alcohol flavor, but the bitterness is a little extreme... suits me fine, though. This is a hell of a DIPA, and is definitely one my favorite beers now. Awesome. Delicious. Fantastic. A+

04-14-2009 03:04:44 | More by sarahspat
thirdeye11

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Thank you to Ktown67 for bringing me this bottle during an in person trade from Wisconsin! Most generous guy I've yet to meet off of BA. I didn't even ask for this he just brought it.

Presentation: Poured from 500ml bottle into my Duvel tulip. Bottle says this one was bottled on 3-23-09 so it's exactly 3 weeks old or... shall I say new? Very fresh nonetheless.

A: Pours an incredibly rich orange color with a nice 1 finger head. The lacing on the glass is superb. Bubbles line the side of the glass almost like a soda. I've not seen anything like this before.

S: This is maybe the most complex smelling beer I've personally encountered. I am smelling lots of pine, hoppy oils, orange peel and oils, something slightly different every time I smell it. This is awesome.

T: Unbelievable. I don't drink many IPAs, let alone DIPA's and this beer is ridiculously good. It's crisp and refreshing, it is not bitter at all, creamy, lots of hop oils. This is my favorite "pale" anything beer. There is orange oil in the taste too. Deep, complex, and refreshing.

M: Perfectly carbonated, oily slick, and creamy. I couldn't ask for more.

D: About as good as it gets for the style. I could have more than 1 of these no problem.

I was skeptical when I heard the hype, but it still exceeded what I had heard about it. Ridiculously well balanced beer. Recommended to anyone even people who don't drink/like hops. It's THAT good.

04-14-2009 01:52:14 | More by thirdeye11
cdViking

Washington

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Bottled on 3/23, consumed on 4/12.

Pours a beautiful amber orange with an awesome foam head. Smell is absolutely exceptional rivaling anything else I've ever had the pleasure of sniffing; citrus fruits, bread and spice are an absolute treat. The taste fulfills any and all expectations brought on by the smell, with a wonderful mandarin orange flavor and complex coriander subtleties. The beer is wonderfully smooth and feels more than good. Perhaps the best part is the way this wonderful beer isn't boozy and can be easily consumed. Its too rare and has too high of an ABV to be a session drink, but it is remarkably drinkable.

04-13-2009 04:40:13 | More by cdViking
chiral3

I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said in other reviews; I can only uphold the numerical reviews. Amazing.

Pours a beautiful dark orange-gold with a fluffy white head. (I find that at the top of the keg, what I believe to be the volatile terpene oils cling to the sides of the glass forming fingers and releasing scent.)

What hits me first is the smell. This beer involves the senses. Smells of fresh lupulin glands. Incredibly floral. This is honest prologue for what you are getting. Perfect bitter for my taste, and an exceptional pine-forward aroma hop, graduating to fresh citrus, and sweet flowers from some retro-olfactory sense.

This beer has perfect carbonation and mouthfeel, with a tight, sharp finish.

A shot at perfection, trying to replicate some Platonic ideal built on the right type of hop, in the right proportion, with the right base of grains.

04-12-2009 22:20:00 | More by chiral3
Sean9689

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle (2/29/09) into my Duvel Tulip. Color is dark orange/gold with a very big and fluffy off-white head. Smell is outrageously awesome...pine/citrus/grapefruit all over the place...holy cow. I just want to live in it (you'll know what I'm talking about if you've seen Pineapple Express)! Taste is wonderful! So well-balanced and not overly bitter like other huge hoppy beers. Perfect amount of carbonation and so smooth it glides around in your mouth. This is a VERY drinkable beer and I could drink this beer all the time although I savor these because of my location. What an amazing beer!

04-10-2009 20:03:38 | More by Sean9689
Onenote81

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Huge thanks to tzanio for sending me out 3 bottles of this splendid beer! This was the very same tzanio that hooked me up with a growler of the Younger a couple months back. Great trader!!

I thought this would be the perfect brew to rate for my 200th review! I've been daydreaming of this one since I got it about 2 weeks ago.

Bottled on 3/9/09, so it is very fresh. Pours a murky, cloudy orangish gold. Huge frothy white head billows on the top of this beer. Gorgeous. Great fluffy retention. Some globs present on the glass edge. Little whisps left behind as well. Really a beautiful beer.

The nose on this is like no other. Just a perfect bountiful smack of pine, grapefruit, pineapple, hibiscus, and a nice spicy finish. I just wanted to dip my nose in deeper and deeper. I could snort this froth. Mouthfeel is nice and crisp, clean, and slightly wet. Very easy to drink. Not thick, not thin.

This beer packs the punch on the flavor, no doubt about it. Huge grapefruity hop presence that finishes with a hint of burnt toast. Slight alcohol zip mixed in as well. Just an absolutey magnificent beer! This is dangerously drinkable as well. Much more so than the Younger. With the alcohol value where it is, this could do some damage for sure. I'm glad I got 3 bottles; I just need to spread them out a bit. This beer lives up to the hype.

04-09-2009 03:09:19 | More by Onenote81
raoulduke37

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

This review is long overdue - had this beer on-tap, bottled, etc. numerous times, but this is my first try out of a growler, and hot damn it makes me glad I live in CA. What a beer.

Pours a downright beautiful golden and copper with a slight haziness to it. The off-white head billows and bubbles leaving phenomenal spider web-like lacing all over the glass. I can't wait to taste it again.

This is by far the hoppiest, most floral-smelling IPA or IIPA I've tried yet. Hints of lavender, vanilla, and the usual citrus including some lemon zest.

This is a powerful, hop-infested IIPA, but it is not overpoweringly bitter like some of its less balanced cousins. There are definite malt highlights here, with the pine taste of hops. It is great that the grassy hop spiciness is only a highlight to all the sweetness going on.

Finally, the mouthfeel is clean and crisp but also very creamy. It's great to taste the brew with the foam at the same time - like a fine beer sampler platter, without all the fried calamari and shit. As far as drinkability goes, this would be my ultimate go-to session beer, if I could get it on tap around here, without having to drive to L.A.

This beer was one of the first I ever had at Toronado SF. It completely changed my views on IPA's, and beer in general. This is my "gateway" beer for all new potential beer advocates. It usually does the trick.

Serving type: growler

04-08-2009 03:37:23 | More by raoulduke37
SpruceFish

Burkina Faso

this was my 1st pliny

A- hazy amber this is how DIPAs should look off white head with some white lacing around the glass

S- super fresh hops very floral and citrus grapefruit maybe even some lemony smell is great

T- wow this tastes great every DIPA and or IPA should taste like this; huge fresh hop taste wow i love it; very floral and citrusy

M- very smooth great carbonation

D- if only i had another one

notes- this beer really does live up to its reputation

04-07-2009 05:00:56 | More by SpruceFish
MasterSki

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to nanoslug for sending me numerous bottles of Pliny of the past six months. This one was bottled February 24th, '09. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip.

A - Huge three-finger pillowy off-white head that has solid retention and patches of spotty lacing. Hazy golden apricot color with lots of tiny bubbles racing to the top. Not quite as handsome as Pliny the Younger.

S - Huge hoppy goodness, with loads of citrus (fresh red grapefruit, orange, lemon zest) as well as some pine and floral notes. There's also a delightful caramel malt backbone. Extremely well hidden 8% ABV.

T - Usually my big complaint is that beers don't taste as good as they smell. In this case, the taste is every bit as good, with loads of citrus and some tropical fruits as well, mixed with pine, and a few floral hints. Again it's got some nice caramel sweetness at the fringes, but the hops are front and center. The aftertaste is bitter, but not overly so.

M - Smooth, creamy, medium-bodied, with the perfect (moderate) amount of carbonation. Finishes slightly dry, but leaves tons of oily, sticky, hop resins behind. There's a touch of warmth as it goes down. Just wonderful!

D - Even more drinkable than Pliny the Younger, which is quite an accomplishment. Perfect level of carbonation, superb taste and texture, well-hidden ABV, and moderate residual bitterness. It's exactly what I want from a DIPA.

Oh, I love the 500ml serving size too. I can't wait to try this on-tap at the brewery in the future...

04-07-2009 04:49:46 | More by MasterSki
Slats

Idaho

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

500ml bottle into a large snifter.

Appearance: Slightly hazy light orange in color, good head that settles with some lace.

Smell: Big pine hops and citrus. Some sweet fruitiness

Tate: Still piny hops but they take a back seat to big grapefruit flavors. Hop character is big but balances very well with the sweet malts. Complex sweetness that stands up well to the hops.

Mouth: crisp and a big dry on the finish. Alcohol is laid back but become more noticeable as the beer warms

Drink: Highly drinkable, as in drink until you can't lift the glass anymore.

This beer is not just hype, it really is as good as people say.

04-06-2009 14:48:31 | More by Slats
jwinship83

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

500ml bottle traded in person from mba3243. thanks again! bottled 3/9/09. very nice. into an over sized snifter.

A- hazy golden orange colored body under a finger of pillowy white head. the head reduces in size quickly, and even that leaves lace marks on the sides of my glass. what more could you ask for from an IIPA?

S- the room fills with grapefruit odor after a minute or two leaving this one alone. its going to be very hoppy. hard to distinguish any malts. very unbalanced. west coast all the way.

T- massive blast of hops right off the bat. citrus fruits. mainly grapefruit. extremely dry and bitter.

M- uncommonly smooth for something like this, and very crisp and clean. small warming form the alcohol on its way down.

D- id love to be able to try this on tap, and drink it all night long. the beer is moderately priced as well! wish i had more.

04-06-2009 03:04:49 | More by jwinship83
SparklePants

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured out of a bottle with a medium white head. It has a somewhat cloudy orange appearance.

After the first drink my eyes opened up wide. It was really great. Hops are very present and has a grapefruit and pine smell to it.

This is the type of beer I wish I could drink everyday if it was available around me.

04-06-2009 00:40:16 | More by SparklePants
jfunkk79

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Finally had a chance to try the Pliny and it didn't disappoint.

Pours a slightly hazy orange with medium head. Wonderful fruity hop aroma. The taste is really a surprise. It throws down a really strong piney, fruity hop flavor but finishes somewhat dryer than expected. This is a really amazing beer. Can't wait to get some more.

04-05-2009 20:44:56 | More by jfunkk79
WindUpBird

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

From a bottle purchased at Lone Hill Liquors:

A: Beautiful, lively and golden--just lovely.

S: The most wonderful fruity aroma announces this beer.

T: Complex--citrus and pine and I don't lnow what all--but I want more

M: Clean and smooth

D: The 8% ABV notwithstanding, this is one smooth yummy beer...yeah, that's right, I said yummy.

04-05-2009 03:34:17 | More by WindUpBird
jacobseyb

Alabama

For starters, bottled on 2/3/2009

A=Light copper color, poured one finger of loose, medium bubble head.

S=Hoppy, noticed fruity (grapefruit?) tones

T=Hoppy, as advertised, grapefruit aftertaste, some pine notes

M=Good feel, oily, light carbonation

D=Relatively light, though ABV would hinder drinking too many

04-05-2009 01:10:55 | More by jacobseyb
doppelmeup

4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Poured a sunshine yellow with nice sticky lacing and a pillowy head.

Aroma was very nice. The closest fragrance I can think of to describe it was grapefruit marmalade. Also hints of pine and orange.

Flavors of pine, bitter grapefruit. Not much sweetness to balance the huge hoppiness. I would like it better if it were a bit more balanced.

Fairly light and dry mouthfeel, with the beer sticking to the top of the mouth and lingering for quite a while after swallowing.

Overall, this was a very good beer. I think I was a little disappointed, given the beers high ratings.

04-05-2009 00:03:40 | More by doppelmeup
mykie73

Oregon

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

At many times but first time with notes.

bottled 2/24/09; drank on 3/04/09

a) beautiful transparent gold w/ tiny champagne bubbles. plenty of carbonation. two finger head w/ bigger bubbles that remind me of a root beer float

s) cascades, grapefruit, citrus, pine needles, want to walk through a forest of this beer

t) delicious sweet, balances, hop juice from first taste to finish. Faint bitterness on back of throat. No alch taste at all. would like maybe just a hint of more bitterness.

f) nice and light, no coating. my preference in a DIPA

d) can drink this all night...and have on a few occasions. i like this much better than younger imho...younger is just so rare and one of a kind...this is one of a kind on its own

04-04-2009 19:32:20 | More by mykie73
Ranbot

4.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle dated 2/24/09 thanks to a trade from Docer. Poured into pint glass.

Nice orange-gold color with good head - moderate lacing. Very floural hop smell. Taste of sweet malts and very floural and slightly piney hops. Some fruity pineapple flavors. After taste has hops and some malts lingering in a way that makes you thirst for more. However, there's so much flavor after swallowing that it's a perfectly fine beer to sip for a long time. Mouthfeel is very light and refreshing, but not at all watery.

An excellent IPA, no doubt. I love IPAs like this because I can drink them slowly and savor them for a long time. It reminds me a lot of Bells Two Hearted to be honest.

04-04-2009 03:35:46 | More by Ranbot
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Bottle into Sam Adams Lager glass. Bottled 3/23/09, Drank 4/3/09. 12 days old is fresh in my book - Huge thanks to henry (Bankhead) for landing this one in Brooklyn.

Pours a slightly hazy copper-gold, with a fluffy, pillowy one finger head that settles into some soapy suds, with lots of nice lacing.

Nose is nice - sweet citrus and grapefruit rind, clean and unfettered, followed by a nice whiff of fresh pine. Green and fresh. Very nice.

Taste is - hops. Pretty much all hops. Clean and piny. Grapefruit rind and huge pine keep any malt presence shoved way down towards the bottom of the glass. Almost no astringency, and bone dry to boot. Finish is long and lingering, more of the same, maybe just a bit tannic, pine and grapefruit rind. Beautiful in the same way super fresh Nugget Nectar is beautiful - the hops here are just set up on a pedestal and worshipped. Hop tea as much as it is beer. Oh, and 0 alcohol presence - this could have been a 3% beer, which is kind of astounding.

Mouthfeel is fairly moderate all around - medium bodied, moderate but not overwhelming carbonation. Like all well carbonated beers, the flavor is never overwhelmed by the carbonation.

Drinkability? This one is perfect in that column. No way you could make a more drinkable 8% beer with these kind of hop levels. Brewers take note: it isn't about bitterness and IBU's, it's about hop flavor and character. I love my syrupy DIPAs too, but this one is in a class of its own. Fantastic.

04-04-2009 00:51:19 | More by JohnQVegas