1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,866
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber with an orange hue. Nice big head on top that leaves plenty of lace.

Smell: Huge hit of simcoe hops. There is that awesome mix of mango and pineapple that makes these russian river brews amazing. The aroma is sweet and really enticing.

Taste: Blissfulness, is that a flavor? There is just heaps of fruity hops, including that wonderful mango pineapple peachy taste that clears the sinuses. A really bitter back that finishes almost sweet, and just forces you to come back for more.

Mouthfeel: Very dry and crisp, leaves your tongue sticky.

Drinkability: This is true hop head nirvana. There are more hops than you know what to do with and the perfect balance makes you yearn for more. One of the beers that proves how good beer really can be.

BigIrishman, Jun 14, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

okay i've had this a few times so now i'm finally ready to review it.. nothing new cuz my 2 cents is pretty much the same as what everyone says.. it lives up to the hype.. this beer is great!!

A - Poured into a tulip glass with a beautiful head that dissipates slowly.. at least an inch head and great lacing. Looks a dark orange great IPA color..

S - Wow it jumps out at you.. this is one you love to smell and it's very hard to peel your nose away from this. smell those fresh grapefruit/pineapple hops... excellent!

T - This kinda blows you away. it's really hard to believe the abv on this. it is better than soda.. so hard to not drink this once you start you can't stop. wow taste the phenomenal hoppiness.. a very well crafted brew!

M - What can I say.. great carbonation.. i really don't know what to say it's great..

D - again with low abv it's so hard to believe this stuff is 8%. much thanx to smutty 33 for getting this a few times as we're in CT and you can't get it out here.. that makes me very sad... lol.. excellent beer.. i'm with the other million people that have reviewed this and said A+..

Tomdee74, Jun 14, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Golden in color, with a thin, white head that remains. Good lacing.
Smell is rich, bready malts and piney, floral hops. Pineapple, peach, mango, nutmeg, bown sugar.
Good balance of bready/crackery malts and fruity/grassy hops up front. Fruity notes carry along the malt backbone to the finish. Pineapple, light mango, peach.
Mouthfeel is smooth with a touch of crispness and a fairly clean finish. Light to medium body.
Drinkability is excellent. I wish I had case. Alcohol is very well-concealed. Very tasty.

Parrotbeak, Jun 13, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass, bottled 5/12/2010. One month exactly.

Appearance: Pours a very light orange sunset color with a touch of hop haze. Almost a yellow orange color with a nice 2 finger white head that recedes to honeycomb like bubbles with great lacing.

Smell: This is the most intense nose on a DIPA i have ever experienced. Huge mango, pineapple, grapefruit peel aroma with a touch of pine sweetness but mostly citrus fruits. unbelievable potent. A touch of honey sweetness on the backend.

Taste: Upfront sweetness followed with a stingy but good hop bitterness and finishes with pineapple sweetness on the back end. Nice midpalate of bitter pine, grapefruit pith and then balanced out by a smooth malty backbone. This has good balance for such a hop forward DIPA, but it does lack the strong malt characteristics i like, but i guess this is obviously a west coast style.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp on the palate. Very clean finishing and refreshing for such a flavor packed beer. 8%abv is hidden and it feels like a regular IPA on the palate.

Drinkablility: Scary how easy this goes down. it is intense but for what its worth, its perfect in this category because its got the structure to hold up its huge hop profile. Great with pretty much any course, and excellent with cheddar i bet. This was my first bottle of this stuff and hopefully its not my last.

Augustiner719, Jun 13, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Clear light amber with orange tint and very aggressive tan foamy head. Aroma is a very compelling, super citrusy hop with a little pine and a sticky sweetness if you believe you could smell that. A big hop slap upfront is pine mostly but mellows (as much as this can possibly mellow) into orange and lemon and light sticky sweet background. But the sweetness seems to come from the hops, and not the malts. There is no malt flavors to speak of, in fact the feel is almost like a tea of hops in carbonated water. That being said, it does round out a bit as it warms. The hop bitterness in the finish is strong but isn't overblown and lingers for quite some time though not unpleasantly.

I was all ready to think this beer was just an overblown hop head beer. It really is a hop lovers dream come true but the balance of hop characteristics is quite unbelievable. I will say that no beer is worth being obsessed about as much as it seems a lot of prople are but certainly a great beer that has to be tried to be believed. I'm glad I finally got the opportunity.

Bfarr, Jun 13, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Consumed PtE many times, but thought my 100th review would be a good time to review it. Plus it's fresh, bottled 5/26, consumed 6/12.

A: Color is a bright tangerine orange with hints of gold at the edges. Pours with a healthy 1 1/2 inch head, gradually dissipates leaving some limited lacing.

S: Can't get enough of the smell. Huge resiney, piney hops dominate. There may be hints of citrus hops and some bready flavors. Knocked down .5 because I know in a side-by-side that PtY knocks this flavor up even one more notch.

T: Taste continues where the smell leaves off with more oily, green, piney goodness. A healthy malt backbone provides a slighly sweet taste that balances out the beer. The finish is bitter with enough hop flavors to make for a very nice finish. No noticable warmth from the 8% alcohol.

M: Medium body (light for style) with moderate carbonation. Very dry and easy to drink. There are 5% beers that feel bigger than this. So very nice.

D: I'll admit to being biased. I have long considered PtE to be one of the best beers in teh world and if stock on a desert island, this would be my choice. Simply a great smooth, easy drinking hop-bomb that brings out the best of the Simcoe variety.

oregonskibum, Jun 12, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -9.7%

Picked a few bottles of this up at Beaumont Market and split all three with the wife today in a pair of twelve ounce tulips I picked up at the Dollar store. The glasses are an awesome value and highly recommended. The Pliny's were bottled on 05/26/2010. I've reviewed this on tap once before but wanted to review the fresh bottle form now as well. On to the review!

The appearance is quite good. The body is a lite yellow gold in color and is very clear with minimal unfiltered sediment goodness in suspension. A few fingers of ivory soapy head hang over the top of the liquid and slowly recedes to a thin cap. Lacing remains where the head formed but doesn't continue down the glass.

Smell is piney, fresh oily hop, tropical citrusy goodness! Some honey exists as well lending to the wonderful bouquet. It may be the highlight of the drink.

The taste is mainly oily bitter pine. Sweet tangelos add to the light malt backbone that exists only to embrace that wonderful fresh hop goodness. Some alcohol shows up to lend some warmth to the end of the drink but is in no way unwelcome.

Is this 8 percent? You could've fooled me. We plowed through 3 half liters like it was nobody's business and wanted more. The appropriate carbonation helps this go down oh so smooth. I will be looking for this next time it comes to Portland and recommend anybody who sees this available to buy a bottle or three! They can be hard to find so don't pass them up!

hopsbreath, Jun 12, 2010
4.65/5  rDev 0%

Bottled on 5/17, which is 3 weeks ago.

Pour is an orangish gold with typical clarity for the style. Thick one-fingered head that recedes quickly.

The freshness of this beer shows up front. Smell is all about hops, citrusy, fresh, bright. Taste is perfect for the style, great freshness, bright and citrusy in the mouth, good balance of sweet and bitter. The single thing that impresses me most about this beer is that it showcases hops in abundance (American I believe) without being way over the top. It is bursting with flavor yet exceptionally smooth. A bright lingering aftertaste of the citrusy hops. I certainly do love IPAs/double IPAs and this is as good as any I've had for sure.

This is indeed an outstanding beer. Frankly, if I wanted to show someone that the States makes good beer in its own styles, this would probably be the first thing I'd hand them.

appenzeller, Jun 11, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Glad to crack a beer of this caliber for my 50th review, and cheers to psiweaver for the May 12th 2010 bottle. The beer pours a burnt orange in my Duvel tulip, with a frothy, 3 finger off white head quickly forming and lingering. The lacing is decent, but just a bit short of earning a 5 for appearance. A pungent hop aroma is present even as I pour, and grapefruit, pineapple, and bitter orange peels are appreciable. Each sip leads off with the briefest of flashes of bready and caramel malt sweetness, before a shotgun blast of hop bitterness asserts itself. This fades into a more citrus hop flavor, largely pineapple and grapefruit. If the hop bitterness vs flavor balance was tipped a little bit more towards flavor Pliny would get a 5, but it's not quite there. Carbonation is high, but to good effect as it helps highlight all the juicy hop goodness, and I'm surprised at how creamy the mouthfeel is given the relative lack of malt presence. I wouldn't expect to notice much alcohol at 8%, but I don't find any at all as I sip on Pliny, and it's so damn tasty that it's a struggle to stop and savor this despite the bitterness. Truly world class, and the template against which all DIPAs should be measured.

axeman9182, Jun 11, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A- Hazy golden blood-tinged yellow, with a thin white sticky head that left some pretty traces of film and collar.

S- A brilliantly bitter hop assault, more on the pine and grass side than citrus. Nary a malt tone sneaking past that concrete wall of hops.

T- An intense hard bitter hop, with a sharp tar/rubber tire backbone, a lot like PtY, but with a tad bit less of a complexity. Can't wait to try them side by side next year.

M- Thick, full, and robust.

D- If there weren't so may other awesome beers to sample at this Philly Beer Week event, I'd have been drinking this all night. Can't wait until the next time it taps nearby.

rawthar, Jun 11, 2010

bottled 3/26/10

poured the color of golden honey, with a bit of sediment, from the bottle to a dogfish head signature glass with a full finger foamy head leaving quite a bit of lacing. faint piney aroma that's overwhelmed (in a good way) with citrus of all kinds, grapefruit, orange, and mystery citrus of unknown origins ?

both tangy, and sweet upon the first sip with a slight, though not bothersome at all, bite to the tip of the tongue and all the way back. incredibly smooth and creamy.

i'm not schooled to the DIPA, but i'm bettin' they're not all this dam good.

robwestcott, Jun 10, 2010

Bottled 5/12/2010 Courtesy of whitebricke
Here we go the moment of truth!

A- Clear, light copper hue. Gigantic fluffy white head. Superb lacing.

S- Piney, citrusy goodness. Orange grapefruit, mandarins. The smell is making my mouth water; can only hope that it tastes as good as it smells.

T- Boy does it ever! Piney, sweet, grapefruit, lemon rind. The bitter hop oils puts a smile on my face.

M- Creamy, silky, bitterness tingles my cheeks. The feel is just perfect.

D- This is by far the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. Nowhere do you realize that this is 8%. It's too bad I'm 2500+ km away because I'd never drink another beer.

Extra special thanks to whitebricke for supplying me with this! It's travelled very far, and we hit a couple hiccups on the way but he was right; it was WELL WORTH IT!! This definately is a world class brew and I'm so glad I got to try this. Thanks Ted!

korguy123, Jun 09, 2010

This was bought at Capone's in Norristown, PA. I got this awesome IPA on tap and it filled my palette with a long-lasting, yet appealing hoppy-ness. I found the smell to be strong and it enhanced the taste as I enjoyed this beer. It is certainly one that I will enjoy again.

Dantman, Jun 09, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Nice white frothy head with beautiful sticking lacing all over the glass. Orange hazy color, mouth is watering just from looking at it.

S- Heavy doses of bitter hops, and earthy pine smell along with some citrus compliments. Some citrus fruits noticeable as well, pineapple and maybe grapefruit to be specific before they are drowned back into the hop oils.

T- There may be the faintest hint of malt that is overwhelmed by hop bitterness. The grassy and pine tastes very evident as citrus notes dart in for a glimpse of taste before fading back into the extreme hoppy taste. Finishes with a slight but smooth taste of alcohol that leaves you refreshed.

M- Medium body with a moderate amount of carbonation that makes this smooth drinking for a summer day.

D- Surely a palate killer as this one attacks the mouth pretty well, but still remarkably easy to drink the entire bottle.

Lolli1315, Jun 08, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz tap pour into an American tumbler at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA.

A - The glass arrives at the table with a lightly hazy golden yellow color with a thin white head from the pour and good lace left all over the glass.

S - Pliny just reeks of American hops. It's got a huge, bold aroma of grapefruit citrus and a hint of lime and pine. Pale malts back it all up nicely. A fantastic hoppy nose.

T - The flavor mirrors the aroma with a bold grapefruit citrus punch and lemon and pine hints. The malts are overshadowed in the taste but, really, that's ok.

M - This beer packs a bitter punch to the finish. The hops just tear you up. Medium-bodied and well carbonated.

D - I love this beer and it's flavor and potency but it's just a little bit bitter for me to put down more than one of.

BeerFMAndy, Jun 08, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Special thanks to mattc7301 on eBay for this excellent acquisition.
Bottle date: 04/23/10
Reviewed: 05/16/10

Presentation: Lovely brown glass bomber with the minimalistic, post-modernist-looking label using primarily bold red and green contrasting colors. Contains some humorous messages about drinking Pliny while fresh around the perimeter of the label.

Appearance: Steady pour into an oversize snifter yields a deep gold body with orange hues, creamy off-white head which dissipates quickly to small, foamy islands, leaves creamy, spotted lacing; active carbonation.

Smell: An assault of floral hops on the front of the nose with elements of spicy black pepper, honey, and pine.

Taste: Sweet floral hops up front with a bitter and dry hop finish; notable malt character with honey notes on the palate.

Mouthfeel: A rather thin body with a creamy texture from the head, lively carbonation, and a smooth but very dry finish.

Drinkability/Final Thoughts: A very potent but also very drinkable brew. I figure at a few weeks after bottle-date, I'm drinking it about as fresh as I ever will in Michigan. And as such, I was a little surprised to find that it is not the most outrageously hoppy or powerful Imperial IPA I've had. But that doesn't detract from the beer itself. I do think it lives up to its infamy and am very glad I was able to come by a bottle, especially such a fresh one. If they were available in my area, I'd probably buy them often, but as it ends up costing me nearly $30 to get a bottle of this in my hands, I'll probably stick with just the one for now.

Gorgoroth, Jun 07, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

My 100th review!!

Got the beer in a trade with SevenB. Many thanks to my BA brother Troy from Oregon!

This is my very first VERY good American beer that i drank. I can see why this Pliny is on the 7th place in beerheaven.

Poured in my Struise glass, a gift from Urbain from the Struise Brouwers, the beer shows itself very well. A nice big white head with a fluid which has a lot of carbonation. That's what i like in a beer.

The smell is exeptional, i am not the best 'smeller' but here i smelled a lot of nice fruits like peach and a bit of pineapple.

The fruittaste gives the beer a very good mouthfeel. A hell of a beer, can i get some more?

Drinking an aged pliny? Read here:

We had a beertasting at Beerpirates place on sunday the 15th of may 2011. Jeffo, Claark13, Bierschenker, beerpirates and i drank a whole bunch of beers. Thanks for your hospitality Wim!

Poured in my Westvleteren tastingglass this beer still looks good. almost a year old it has lost some of it's hops. Very good to drink though!

I had a third pliny in august 2011. To be honest the pliny was not as good as the Elliot brew from the Struise brouwers. Too bitter....

Brabander, Jun 05, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

This is only my second review, and I just had the honor of trying my first Pliny. To celebrate this, I will now write my review as a conglomeration of every review ever written for Pliny on Beeradvocate.

Serving type: 500ml bottle (dated 5/17/10) poured elegantly into my luxurious Ultra des Ecaussinnes tulip glass.

Smell: As I slowly cracked open the silver cap, my face was immediately hit with the hop power of 1,000 Saturns (if Saturn was made of hops). The beautiful bouquet of orange, grapefruit, and other citrus smells hung in the air like an autumn leaf slowly falling off a tree.

Appearance: A light gold color like the Summer sun setting over a plush prairie. The sheer beauty of this beer makes me want to go outside and paint a landscape.

Taste: A wonderful dry, malty finish strains the tastebuds with bitterness. As soon as the glorious hop flavor slowly fades away like a dying man taking his last breath, the bitterness rushes in like a speeding freight train. Only this freight train is carrying bitterness.

(Okay, I'm done. In all seriousness, this was an amazing beer that truly lived up to the hype. I am so glad I got to try this fresh.)

DeutschesBier, Jun 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Courtesy of Smutty33

A- pours a beautiful, clear yellow-orange. nice thick white foamy head that settles slowly leaving some good looking lacing and making a mess of the glass.

S- alot of hops. i picked up some nice citrus hops as well as some nice tropical fruit aromas. also a backing of pine and earthy hops here. there's a decent malt backbone to the aroma as well that holds up nicely against the hops.

T- not what i was expecting. i was expecting a bitter hop blowout all the way through. exact opposite. nice fruit hop flavors mainly citrus and tropical fruit with some pine and earth in the background. good maltiness helps carry this beer along and doesnt let the hops beat the hell out of ur palate.

M/D- full bodied, smooth as hell. great beer and easy drinkin for the ABV on this one. not much to complain about here. i look forward to gettin my hands on some more of this one.

Pabs311, Jun 02, 2010
4.65/5  rDev 0%

Stoney73 sent me two bottles, the second one was an awesome surprise. Both bottled on 5/17/10. I finally get to try some PtE.

A- Very nice looking. Super clear and bright, glowing orange with yellow highlights. The head is very dense and very white. It sticks around for a while before it fades into some soap sudsy looking pillows. Spotty lacing all the way day is the result.

S- Wow, amazing smelling. Obviously its heavy on hops. All sorts of hops. The pine is the first that comes to my attention. Lots of very spicy hops, rosemary, parsley and sage. Swirl this around after it warms slightly and there are notes of orange creamsicle and grapefruits.

T- I was slightly let down in the taste department. I cant give it a 5 here. I wanted more of that creamsicle, grapefruit and juiciness I was getting on the tail end of the nose. There is lots of pine and spiciness. Alcohol comes around from time to time upon the finish. Towards the end of the glass, after it got slightly warmer, malts came out. They were toasty and nicely sweet. A big wash of bitterness lingers well after each swallow. While it is very good, its not the best tasting IPA Ive had.

M- Dry, lingeringly bitter but not oily. The body is right around medium as is the carbonation.

D- I really could drink this stuff all night. It goes down way too easily.

MbpBugeye, Jun 02, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

I've had this beer on tap before, but this review is from a 500ML bottle with a Bottled On date of May 17, 2010, so just about two weeks ago. I poured this into a Duvel Tulip.
Look: A hazy, pumpkin orange with moderate carbonation. Large, 2 1/2 finger head that stuck around for about 5 minutes. Moderate lacing is left behind.
Smell: Hops all over the place. Lots of pine and citrus notes and some less pronounced earthy hops in the background. There is a sugary alcohol at the end, but it isn't too overwhelming.
Taste/Mouth: Almost as good as on tap. Just like it smells. Unlike a few other DIPA's I've had, they really found a great mixture of hops that are strong and bitter, but not overwhelming. Goes down smooth and dry.
Drink: Great price, great beer. It's a big beer but won't knock you down. I could sip on a few of these often enough. It's just a bummer that I have to cross town to get it.

OBeerMeGreatOne, Jun 01, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Pour is light amber-copper with small white ringed hear around edge of glass. Aroma is spruce, resin, pine, citrus, orange rind, and green hops. Flavor has a sharp hop bite with forest green flavors and citrusy rinds. Pretty clean finish and dry on the palate. Drinkability is dangerously high and extremely food friendly. Dear Vinnie, please expand distribution to the great old Midwest.

TrueRates, Jun 01, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

A little bit fruit and some pine-yness - just your typical west coast IIPA nose. Bottled on 5/12 this is about as fresh as I could get. The hops hit you up front with freshness but the malt nicely balances out in the end. Just a really smooth drinking beer with incredible balance considering the hop bill on it.

ryno09, May 31, 2010

This beer is well spoken for here. I get floral grapefruits and oranges in both the smell and the taste and the balance of grapefruits and oranges tilts to the oranges as it warms up in the glass a little. The feel is perfectly viscous, the carbonation is perfectly carbonated, and the look is perfect looking. It's a bright orange sunset with bubbles.

This is my favorite beer and I consider myself lucky to have it within a 5 minute walk of my house. I never drink more than one in a night and rarely more than one a week. The day I get bored of this beer will be a sad one indeed.

IBUStu, May 30, 2010
4.55/5  rDev -2.2%

Appears golden and rich in color with a foamy head that stuck around for a couple of minutes. Smells like I'd expect with the bright hop dominance. Lots of grapefruit, a little pine with some baked bread in the background. Tantalizing.

Tastes great. Awesome balance between the citrus and pine like flavors. The citrus has elements of grapefruit, oranges, lemon zest. Starts out with the sweetness of fruit and the bitterness flares up briefly in the finish. Doesn't feel too carbonated or too syrupy, huge fan and wish that RR distributed to MI (really enjoyed the other couple of beers I had from them). Wouldn't mind having a couple of these in a night.

liquidcraft, May 29, 2010