Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,490
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
JWD

4.93/5  rDev +6%

This is one of my favorites of all time,

A- Nice golden amber glow to it, with a white head that goes away pretty quick.

S- There is an amazing floral mix going on here, so many delicate an unabrasive sents here. I would say it is a very refined hop bomb.

T- Same a the smell, tons of thing going on here. As above it is very refined and delivers tons of hop flavors without being to harsh. Everytime i have this i think it pretty good but then try to follow it with another DIPA and you will realize just how good this is.

M- Good, i like a little more malt thickness that only pliny the younger can delivery.

D- WOW, The wife and i spend 5 hours at the brewpub and i think we had 15 of these (cannot remember the exact number). I could drink this everyday.

If you have the change to try this you will not be disappointed, there are bigger hop bombs out there but i have yet to find another DIPA that can delivery so much without giving up on drinkability or something.

I will be trying a fresh FFF Dreadnaught DIPA tonight and if anything has a chance to come close this will be it!! We will see!!

01-24-2009 17:45:02 | More by JWD
Monkeyknife

Missouri

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Many thanks to JWD for this bottle.

Poured from the bottle a hazy orange-apricot color with a thin, but large-bubbled, white head.

Big juicy aroma of grapefruit and pine hops along with pineapple and a hint of caramel.

The taste is so much like the aroma. Big juicy grapefruit, pine, and pineapple. Finishes clean with a hint of grapefruit remaining. The 8% alcohol is well hidden.

Medium bodied, clean and bright, with a sharp carbonation.

Hops, hops, and more hops...and I love it. So drinkable it's frightening. As great as expected and a must try.

01-24-2009 02:59:27 | More by Monkeyknife
jstilwell

4.93/5  rDev +6%

ahh, my first Pliny! Enormous thanks to djeucalyptus for hooking me up! Ever since I joined the site, I've been dying to try this. I just knew I would love this, and I was...right!
There's not much to say that hasn't been said, but this review is as much for myself to look back on as this sets the standard for the style.

A: Standard hazy orangy looking IPA, nice 1" white head, looks just like I pictured it would.

S: Here we go people, Pungent aroma of flowery hops. I detect a citrusy scent of grapefruit, orangy lemon zest, and pine and hops again.

T: First blissful taste impression...this is complex. Nice spiciness, flowery hops, someone locked me in a greenhouse and I need to eat my way out! The finish is CRISP, not bitter, the aftertaste is mildly bitter and the alcohol warmness kicks in. AS with any quality brew, mouth swishing sets of a chain reaction of complexities. This is wonderful.

M: Oily, clings to the palate, substantive, wonderful!

D: Oh yeah, I could drink these, but well no I can't because I live in the Northeast, so I'll need to pop one at a time, and wait for my next trade.

This is the IPA from which all should be measured (for me). Did I say Crisp? Damn! The hops are obviously prominent but the typical overt bitterness is squashed by the proper amount of malt. A hophead's delight for sure, and a damn near perfect brew. Hope to get it on tap some day!

You the man, DJ! and Russian River should get some credit as well

01-24-2009 00:43:27 | More by jstilwell
BARFLYB

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Had this many times and finally getting around to reviewing this gem. 15oz pour into a stemmed glass at Union Jacks Pub.

A- RR Pliny The Elder has a very pronounced orange, slighty amber color to it, a shade darker than the Blind Pig. Also no hazyness to this as it's quite clear. A nice 1/2 inch off white head showed itself then took an exit. Not much lacing going on here.

S- A good heap of piney hops up front and a bunch of grapefruit and floral qualities which was expected. Some pineapple and earthy tones. Like with all Russian River offerings, I smelled this for at least 10 minutes before indulging, it's just that good.

T- California GOODNESS. Pliny comes off with the expected citrus hop flavor with a minimal amount of caramel malt sweetness to get in the way. This is not a hop-bomb in my eyes, more like a very nicely balanced DIPA. A sort of grainy, bready feel towards the middle. A bit of bitterness, nothing overbearing. Had this in a bottle also and I think tap is the way to go.

M- Sure, the hops attack the palette, but in a good way, not killing off any taste senses, but i'm sure that would happen after a few. Medium mouthfeel and slick body and much smoother than the blind pig. I never say this but the alcohol was hidden tremendously. A double IPA that drinks like an IPA. Quite a feat.

D- Smooth sailing for the drinkability as pliny does not attack the tounge leaving it's mark forever. The malts used to offset the hops are used perfectly where other "Hopbombs" lack in this area. Balance is key, and Pliny provides that. I would and have the ability to seek this out on draft when it's available in my area and i'm very grateful.

Cant wait for pliny's younger brother to show up at Philly beer week 09.

01-23-2009 23:37:11 | More by BARFLYB
dhansen68

Washington

4.93/5  rDev +6%

Exceptional beer. Very citrus hoppy aroma. Citrus piny hop flavor with a well ballanced malt sweetness. After hearing afterl the hype, the flavor caught me off guard on the first sip. Way more low cohum. hops. Not a strong bitter after bite. As the sipping went on, the last swallow begged for more. Absolutely exceptional.

01-23-2009 05:05:08 | More by dhansen68
tadowdaddy

4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Very clear orange color with minimal head. Lacing is very splotchy on the sides of my tulip.

S- Amazing citrus hops and pine hops. A tad bit of a floral hop can be smelled as well.

T- Amazing. No alcohol tasted at all. Huge amounts of pine, a tart grapefruit, and a tad bit of lemon. No malt backbone at all. Very unbalanced but tremendously delicious hop treat.

M- Oily and thin. Coats the mouth well and leaves a lingering aftertaste of bitterness.

D- Goes down very easy and I could see myself having a few of these. Wish I could drink it on a regular basis. Thanks a bunch torchednoodle for the fantastic trade!

01-22-2009 02:28:38 | More by tadowdaddy
jjazz

South Dakota

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Head retention could be much better.

Pine, citrus (tangerine; not grapefruit), pineapple...wonderful aroma and flavor. Lots of peppery spice.

Relatively gentle bitterness for 100 IBUs.

Enough malt to balance the hops, but not enough to get in their way. Body is light; just like it should be. This is one drinkable DIPA.

Very good, but nothing transcendent. I really wish this had wider distribution. I would be buying it often.

Also...
This bottle was from a trade shipment with 2/4 bottles broken, apparently due to freezing. This beer was previously frozen.

01-22-2009 02:23:02 | More by jjazz
DoesntMatter46

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance is very clear, not cloudy at all. I'd say its a pale copper color, nice layer of white head when I poured the half liter bottle in to my half liter Mousel Luxembourg beer stein.

Smell is very floral, very hoppy and very noticeable as soon as I started pouring it an arms length away. A slew of hops must have been added right at the end, as they show up much more as aroma than as bitterness.

Taste is obviously based on the hops. It's very piney and spicey. There's no strong alcohol taste, and the malt doesn't give much body, this beer is all about the hops. Overall, not too bitter, and for its style, well balanced.

I could easily sit and drink a few of these, but with so many West Coast IPAs, this beer is not the be- all, end- all, holy grail some have talked it up to be. Is it on my short list of best beer I've ever had? Yes, but it won't keep me from trying a different IPA next time I want one.

01-21-2009 02:20:58 | More by DoesntMatter46
vtfan77

4.43/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled 11/4/08. Purchased online from South Bay Drugs.

A- Light gold with hints of orange; quite light for the style. Pours with a nice, fluffy head and leaves quite a bit of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Mainly citrusy hops with a nice sweet orange juice aroma. There are some big floral and pine notes, too. Really a superb DIPA smell.

T- Starts out with a touch of sweetness before the hops take over. Citrus rind and pine are the main flavors here. A cracker-like malt balances the hops out just enough so that they don't get out of control. Finishes dry with a strong but not overwhelming bitterness. Very nice.

M- Nice medium body with a good carbonation level: not too high, not too low.

D- Very good for a DIPA. It doesn't have the extremely high alcohol and cloying sweetness that hinder some examples of the style. I could easily have a couple (or more) of these.

This is a great beer, although it's not transcendent. I can see why people might be disappointed when they were led to believe that they would reach Nirvana upon tasting it. I try to ignore the hype surrounding a beer and rate it based solely on my tastes and how I think it compares to other similar beers (the key word here being "try"). To me this simply ranks as an outstanding beer worthy of a great deal of praise. Is it the best DIPA ever? Well, not in my opinion, but it's certainly one of the best I've had, and I highly recommend it to others.

01-21-2009 01:04:03 | More by vtfan77
treehugger02010

4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

I had this on-tap at Gullifty's Restaurant in Rosemont, PA and it came in a Tulip glass.
Appearance: The body is a clear amber color with a medium sized (thick) egg-shell colored head that has excellent lacing and good retention.
Smell: The aroma is very American IPA with high amounts of grapefruit and pine.
Taste: The flavors are similar to the aroma, but with a nutty twist added in.
Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is very crisp and refreshing.
Drinkability: This is a highly rated beer for a reason. I have been out of touch with American IPAs for some time now, and this one reminded me of what I was missing.
Don't drink and review.

01-20-2009 00:47:36 | More by treehugger02010
pkasten

Oregon

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

a - light amber, a little on the golden side

s - big, floral, piney hop character... woah, like a fistful of amarillo beating you mercilessly

t - very hoppy, but nicely balanced. hop flavor hangs around forever in the finish, but as long as you keep drinking, this won't be a problem

m - nice medium body/carbonation

d - excellent. considering the abv and ibu, it's surprisingly easy to knock back a few of these.

01-19-2009 18:45:46 | More by pkasten
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My wife brought 10 bottles of this back to DC from Colorado while she was there. They were waiting for me when I got back from the Middle East. :)

A: A Beautiful clean amber color. I'd stare it longer if it didn't make me so thirsty.

S: Smells beautiful with grandiose aromas of floral and citrus.

T: Fresh delicious hoppy IPA goodness. Wonderful bitterness and fresh hops. This is truly a special beer.

M: Silky smooth, especially for a double IPA. 8% isn't terribly high ABV, but it is completely masked nonetheless. A beautiful hop bitterness in the finish.

D: I could easily drink several of these. I thoroughly enjoy Pliny the Elder, and it remains one of my favorite beers of all time.

01-18-2009 05:53:32 | More by Huhzubendah
radshoesbro

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

this is an incredible beer which i've had a few times before, but never had the chance to review.

pours a beautiful amber with nice carbonation and perfect head retention! smells like beautiful floral hops and tastes the same, but without an overpowering taste. this is a near perfectly balanced beer as it goes down much lighter than it begins.

if there is such a thing as a perfect beer this is damn close to it!

01-18-2009 04:24:52 | More by radshoesbro
mattloaf1

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I made a special trip down to Brooklyn to try this legendary beer. As of 1/17, they have this (and Blind Pig) available at Pacific Standard, which is a good bar.

Appearance is a nice, golden orange. It smells like a solid IPA. It tastes like a very nice, drinkable IPA with copious west coast hops.

It's a very good IPA, but for me, it didn't live up to the hype that proceeded it. If you want hops, go for Green Flash's IPA. If you want a well-rounded IPA, Pliny will do the job, but don't expect something mindblowing. It's just a perfectly-balanced, sessionable IPA.

01-18-2009 03:42:22 | More by mattloaf1
antilogic

4.65/5  rDev 0%

I've had Pliny dozens of time, but this is my first chance to sit down and review it. Bottle dated 11/26/08.

Golden with a slight orange tint. Head is white and bubbly and fades quickly with some lacing on my glass. The aroma is citrus, grapefruit, hops, pine, floral hops. Extremely drinkable, slightly dry, crisp, finish, lighter in body than I would have initially expected. Delicious. I will regularly keep my fridge stocked with a few of these...

01-18-2009 01:24:42 | More by antilogic
walshclimb

Nevada

4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

Cool simple-looking label with warnings against aging and a bottled-on date of 7/30/08. So, this is getting a little old at 5.5 months, but I enjoyed it nonetheless, and I only bought it a few weeks ago. I will look for a younger bottle next time.

Pours slightly hazy honey colored with thick bubbly head after a somewhat aggressive pour. Large bubbles clung to the glass, bridging to the diminishing head that thinned but stayed around to the last sip. Very nice warm floral hop aroma. Nicely balanced initial flavor with bitter hops and malt transitioning to a slowly evolving sweet malt and floral/bitter hop aftertaste that seemed to have a peak sweetness in the middle and a long bitter aftertaste that sits on top of the tongue. Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, moderately carbonated, somwhere near the line between syruppy and crisp. Very nice. OVerall, this is a very tasty beer that is I agree is highly recommended if you can find it.

01-16-2009 04:04:39 | More by walshclimb
BattleRoadBrewer

4.34/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Served cool from a pint bottle at about 36F into a Boston Lager glass.

Pours with medium thick body and a nice heavy off white head about 1" high.

Color is light amber, leaning towards golden, with no haze.

Aroma is very hoppy, citrusy, sweet. Notable level of diacetyl not present in a growler I had previously.

Taste is very well balanced between hops, malt and alcohol. Lots of residual malts making it sweet, but not too much.

Mouthfeel is moderate thickness for the style, slick, with a hint of alcohol warmth.

As it warms in the glass, it perfectly maintains its balance.

Overall a really drinkable beer, but it loses something in the bottle vs a growler.

Edited on 3/3/14: Tweaking my earlier review(s) which were based on what in hindsight were old/abused bottles. Zero defects, no DMS, no diacetyl, just a fabulous beer.

Edited on 1/4/12: Just had another Pliny in the bottle. No diacetyl this time, instead DMS. Nose had no hops, just cooked corn. Still good hop flavor and overall balance.

Original review: Brewed on 12/7/11, less than 30 days ago. WTF? RR should give up bottling PtE, since PtE on tap is tied for best beer I've ever had, and in the bottle it's dependably junk. Maybe they should CAN it instead?

01-16-2009 02:52:42 | More by BattleRoadBrewer
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Believe the Hype. Had the privilege of consuming this brew on a few occasions- most recently thanks to the generosity of great traders like MiScusi and swnicholson.

I've had this everywhere from one month old to about three. It certainly deteriorates faster than Blind Pig for some reason, but upon opening even a 3 month old bottle, the aroma is mesmerizing.

Most Recently, 500mL bottle (11/10/08) into a Bruery-Branded Tulip yields a gorgeous light colored-yellow/amber brew with an inch of ivory head. I can almost smell it from across the room!

Tons of piney, citrusy hops fill the nostrils. I have never had anything else smell like this before. Fresh cut grapefruit and golden pineapple, with some grassy notes.

To me, in the taste is where it isn't a Double IPA. The 8% abv is borderline- tons of single IPAs are 7% and most doubles are over 9%. Regardless, its all a matter of definition- who cares it's a delicious beer! Just as the nose would suggest, the flavors play through with a wonderful caramel malt presence that doesn't get in the way of the hop flavors, but is still the slightest bit noticeable. Aggressively fruity from citrus to peach to pineapple, with a certain stickiness that is akin to an herbal grassy flavor. Plenty bitter, but such great hop flavor that it becomes negligible.

The alcohol is so well hidden, you would never believe it clocks in at a solid 8%, very very drinkable although you wouldn't want to drink more than one or two, as it surely does a number on your palate. Every time I get one of these in a trade I have to savor it though its hard with such a great drinkability. Now I need to get my hands on some of the Younger.

01-15-2009 22:37:00 | More by Ineedabeerhere
Brewsmith

From a 0.5L bottle purchased at Hi Times Cellars in Costa Mesa.

Aroma is thick with hop oils, musky, like I stuck my head in a bag of Cascade or Centennial.

Golden yellow with a fluffy off-white head. Fairly clear.

Flavor is again bursting with hops, orangey pine. Amazingly the malt still balances and t is not over the top.

Clean and dry with some lingering bitterness that is quite refreshing. Not over carbonated. Just about the best Double IPA I have ever had.

01-15-2009 07:42:05 | More by Brewsmith
sonicdescent

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Thank you skourtis for the opportunity to try this!

Pours a light golden color with a frothy two finger head that coats the side of the glass when it disappears.

Orange and pineapple scents way out front. The fabled west coast DIPA strikes!

Tastes..wow, I was expecting a hop bomb but not at all. Definitely something I am not used to in an ipa. Strong, but not overly bitter because of it. The word tropical comes to mind.

Mouth is medium/thick and carbonation is low/medium.

Incredible and lives up to the hype. If only I could easily get my hands on the stuff.

01-15-2009 03:53:29 | More by sonicdescent
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev -15.5%

Bottle: Poured a deep orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of medium bitter hops notes with some well crafted citrus notes also dominating. I thought the taste of malt was somewhat subtle and overshadowed by some citrusy and bitter hops. Full body with great carbonation. Although this is a very well crafted IIPA is still think it is lacking some of the grapefruit notes that can elevated the style to another level.

01-15-2009 03:51:32 | More by Phyl21ca
Needsbeer

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

16.9oz poured into my unmarked 16oz pint class. Bottle design is very mellow and straight forward with plenty of history as well as warnings not to age Pliny.

Appearance: Very clear light golden hue, pour gives moderate, but persistent, pearly head. Very noticeable lacing throughout.

Nose: Fantastically floral nose with strong notes of resin and earthiness. Hops dominate.

Taste: Tons of citrusy hops that are quickly balanced by malt sweetness. The resin flavor sticks to the tongue for a few moments and is replaced by a brief memory of bitters at the back of the palate. Lots of grapefruit.

Notes: Tremendous beer and one of my favorite DIPAs. Russian Rivers comes through on this one. Alcohol warming is present but subdued. The intense hops are balanced perfectly with malt and result in great drinkability. Perhaps it's only downfall as a DIPA is that it is almost too balanced. If you have not tried this beer you are missing out.

01-13-2009 06:05:16 | More by Needsbeer
Umbra

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottle received from mwompus from Secret Santa '08, bottled on 10/15/08
Straw/sunrise colored brew with a half finger of head. Perfect lacing as the brew progresses. Mild carbonation which was forceful enough to keep the chunks of yeasties twirling

Citrus and tropical fruit aromas

huge hop flavors of citrus in pine are well matched against a grainy, mild background. Every taste is a mouthfull, tastebuds are utterly destroyed afterwards

Medium bodied, though the first sip was definitely oily. coats, but isn't so heavy that it holds you back for more.

Crazy drinkable brew.

01-12-2009 15:24:00 | More by Umbra
JToad

Indiana

4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

Got a bottle of this courtesy of CPFerris.. Thanks Chad, you're awesome!

Poured into my Samichlaus goblet. Dark tan, blood orangish in color. Perfect head, that dissipates quickly, nice frothy lacing on the side of the glass.

Smells of pine right off the bat. Grapefruit definetely there, not over the top. Very well balanced smell. One smell does not overpower the other.

An incredibly smoothe IIPA. Loads of hops, without being way too bitter. Alchohol is not very noticeable, which is unlike a lot of other hopbombs out there. Unbeliveably well balanced. Everything about it. Smell, taste..it all compliments each other very nicely.

My first beer of the night, and after half a glass, the alchohol just hit me like a ton of bricks. Im writing this as I drink it, and I feel a slight buzz already. Definetely creeps up on you.

All in all, this is worth the hype. I would find this impossible to turn down, if I could actually get it in Indiana. DIPA's are my favorite style, and Im not sure there is a better one out there. Pliny the Elder is def. the most well balanced Imperial IPA I have ever had. Truly a remarkable beer.

01-12-2009 00:44:55 | More by JToad
scootny

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

A hazy light gold liquid that delivers a good head with nice retention. Better is the abundant lacing. Goes all the way down. Mild carbonation keeps the glass covered in light sea foam.

Smell is grapefruit and pine forrest. A small citrus grove of orange and tangerine hide beneath with a strong amount of toffee and whole grain breads. Yeasty fruit esters subtly tie it together.

Taste is just not to be believed. I believe balance is the key to DIPAs. Yes hops are king but they must have a good malt stage to play from. This beer has that in spades. Multilayered hop bomb hits the tongue first. Grapefruit at the fore. Malted grains and yeasty, toasted, multigrain breads in the middle. Finish is dry. Grapefruit skin and an astringent, puckering bitter hoppiness that hangs and blends back into a graham and toast flavor.

Mouthfeel is lighter that you would expect. Flowing with an effervescent liveliness that scrubs the mouth and hits the back of the throat perfectly. A subtle creaminess can be detected from time to time.

Drinkability is obscene. No alcohol, light in body and feel. A quaffer from the word go. Only problem is spelling quaffer after two bottles of this sneaky brew.

The paradigm DIPA. Not as high in abv as some and that is is good thing. This one is all about the taste and drinkability. Glad I have two more bottles. Big thanks to swnicholson for this one.

01-12-2009 00:08:33 | More by scootny