Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 4,996
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

poured into a tulip (bottled, 11-11-10)

A.

pours a nice golden straw color with a nice pillow of eggshell colored head. About 1 fingers worth.

S.

outstanding. I'm getting grapefruit, orange, a little apricot and pine in there as well. More citrusy than piny which surprised me. A little malt smell in there. Just incredible.

T.

Again, outstanding. piny hops and malt up front. A little of the citrus hops in there as well. The bitterness is there right up front, but the malts continue throughout the drink and really smooth it out. I little more piny tasting than I'd like, but expected for a west coast IPA.

M.

medium bodied beer with absolute perfect carbonation. This beer goes down so smooth. I wasn't expecting this from a DIPA.

D.

If I had easy access to this I'd drink it every day if I could. Such a smooth tasty DIPA. I feel fortunate to have a friend out in Northern Cal to ship me these. I have 5 more left and it pains me that I'm going to share a couple of these with others, but I want to spread the love.

cetherid, Dec 04, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Served on tap at the RR brewpub.

S - One of the most enticing aromas of any beer I've had, Sculpin being right up there as well. Huge whiff of grapefruit and wet pinecones. I can't detect any malt or alcohol.

T - The taste is incredible. Unlike some (I)IPAs who leave something to be desired after inhaling their aroma, this one does not disappoint. The taste matches the nose almost exactly.

D - It is unfortunate that the abv has to be 8%, because of this I cannot drink enough of this beer. I am too drunk before I am satisfied.

Estocker, Dec 04, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Served in a Stella chalice. Two fingers of creamy foam. A deep golden reddish hue is welcoming me to drink. Smells of rich hop goodness. In the mouth, a perfect balance of hoppiness and fine rich malt. Finishes dry and repeat. A customer gave me this and I thank him very much.

everettsbeerguy, Dec 04, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -2.6%

Thanks to bombadil for the trade. 1 pint 9oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip Style Glass. When I cracked it open the foam crept it's way to the top of the bottle and one big bubble came up and came over the top. I've had that happen a few times but usually the bottle in some way got shaken up a little bit, but not this time. The beer pours out a light golden/amber color, a little lighter than I expected, slightly lighter than most DIPA's I've had. There was initially a big, thick, orange, creamy colored frothy head. I thought there was going to be a fair amount of lacing, but there really wasn't, the lace trickles it's way down after each sip. A little disappointing, but still pretty good.

The smell is exceptional. It gets even better as it warms up. There is a hoppiness to it that is truly complex and intriguing. A beautiful blend of a various array of hops. Citrus, pine, foral, herbal, and even has a nectar/honey sweetness like aroma to it. It maintains it's potency without being to strong. Probably one of if not the best smelling DIPA's I've ever had.

If I were to describe the flavor of this beer in one word it would have to be "complex." The same multiple hop notes carry over from the aroma to the flavor. Initially it really isn't anything special, but there is a lingering effect that is quite tasty. It starts bitter then sweetens up a little, but the sweetness seems to be coming from not only the malts but the hop combination has a play on this. There is still a sweetness to it that I can't quite put my finger on, it brings me back to that honey/nectar but I don't think those are really ingredients, could just be the way it's brewed I guess. On a strange side note, this beer burps up awesome, which is what bumped it up to a 4.5 in my opinion.

The complexity continues in the mouthfeel. It is both light and full bodied all at the same time. It has the light fruitiness and full maltiness aspects of big DIPA's. The Drinkability is outstanding. It's a slightly lower than average alcohol for a DIPA, but has a lot of big flavors as the big boys.

I'm a little conflicted, I really did enjoy it, but I enjoy this style. I wasn't as blown away as I expected. I guess I just gave into the hype. I'd love to review it again sometime and get the opportunity to review a fresh one. It's not available in MA so I gotta trade for it. I feel lucky just to have the opportunity to try it, and I don't think it'll be the last. Who knows maybe some day I'll get to CA and get to review a fresh one, sounds like a pretty good day.

AndyAvalanche, Dec 03, 2010
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured my first Pliny (props to Jolon for hooking it up) into a Duvel tulip with the aroma filling the air.

The ale had a brilliant orange-gold color, capped by a 1cm white head, which dissipated after a min. leaving a nice display of lacing.

The freshness of the beer is clear not only in the bottling date(11-02-10), but also in the aroma which is composed of nice citrus meets floral characteristics. Beneath the hops lies a sweet, breadiness from the malts.

Taking the first couple sips, the beer comes across with a medium body. The carbonation is just about right on, allowing the ingredients to make the impression by just being high enough to enhance the experience. Right before the beer slides down the throat, a dryness comes out which results in my body begging for more.

The taste seems to higlight the grapefruit, citrus notes of the hops more than other characteristics. The hops also create a pleasant spicyness which comes out more in the flavor than the mouthfeel.

This has got to be one of the most drinkable 2xIPAs I have had. The hops levels meet the maltiness just right allowing the beer to be enjoyed for what it is while my general experiences of 2xIPAs usually results in a muddle of malts and hops. PTE is smooth, spicy, sweet, dry, floral and citrusy IPA that is simple in terms of enjoyment, yet complex once one delves into it.

bernie879, Dec 03, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

A. Bright and golden in color with excellent clarity and absolutely no haze. Snow-white fluffy head that leaves behind thick lacing. As the foam settles the carbonation remains.

S. Sharp evergreen hop aroma with a hint of sweet orange peel. While the nose in overwhelmingly resiny hops- there is a sticky- sweet malt undertone lurking in the darkness.

T. The taste is effervescent, piney hops from the very beginning. Many DIPAs are overwhelmed by such hops but this one has plenty of other things going on. There is a dry biscuity malt backbone to carry the hops along with a fruity sweetness and firm bitter finish that leaves you wanting more.

M. Chewy and bold it is light but still satisfying. The carbonation is just enough to accentuate the hops and keep things entertaining.

D. A true pleasure, and something everyone should try. I cannot even begin to think of what I would do to get this distributes in my area so that I could savor it more often.

hopstradamus, Dec 02, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Want to give BleedsLakerP&G a big shout out for hooking me up with this -

Poured from (500ml) bottle - bottled on 09 23 10.

Poured a cloudy light amber , Two finger head that dissipated rather quickly,moderate lacing with decent carbonation .

Smell - Light apricot hints ,pine notes, hops.

Taste - The hops jumped out of the glass and put my tongue into a full arm nelson, light citrus ,apricot flavors but mostly hops w/ pine notes.

Drinkabilty - This is a great example of a American Double IPA, was it over hyped ? Not in my opinion -This would be the standard I would measure any American Double IPA with. Very drinkable - I really enjoyed this, to bad it's not more readily available to the Midwest Great lakes area .

InebriatedJoker, Nov 30, 2010

Drinking in celebration of FSU beating UF for the first time in 6 years. Traded working that day for one of these bad boys.

Poured into HB hefe glass fom 1 pint bottle

A- Pours a tangerine orange with a bone white head that sat at about 1/2 an inch. leaves shreds of lace running down the glass as the head deflates. Looks pretty flawless.

S-This thing is powerful. The smell erupted from the bottle and the glass can be held away from you at a distance of about 8 inches and still u assaulted with an overload of citrus and grapefruit hops with hints of sweetness. kind of hard to detect anything beyond the world of floral amazing aromas rising from the glass. No apparent alcohol. No off scents. just pure un-adulterated hop juice.

T-First taste is instant bitter which is rushed out of the picture by an explosion of massive orange peel and lemon zest followed by fresh ruby-reds. crazy as it is, Hops are all over the place and no real malt in sight but yet the bitterness is not showcased. All of the sweet citrus keep rolling in waves as this guy warms up we'll see what else shows up(if i had another of these this one would have been finished after the first sentence. As it warms the hops fill in every nook and crany of my taste buds. Cant find anything wrong. Im looking...

M- The carbonation is flawless and keeps the whole beer bubbling enough for entertainment. After the fan fare dies down the rest becomes silky smooth.

D-This is stellar. It has every key component of perfection. Minus the fact that I cant go to a store and buy this every day. Im beyond impressed and amazed. Now im going to finish the bottle. I really hate to claim a beer is flawless....if I think of one ill add it later.

Fieldzy27, Nov 29, 2010

On-tap at Capone's

Appearance: Golden with a thin white head.

Smell: Citrusy - pineapple, mango, passionfruit, grapefruit, sweet slightly bitter hops.

Taste: Taste follows the nose - sweet pineapple, mango, grapefruit and tangerine followed with a nice hop bite.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and incredibly smooth.

Drinkability: There is a reason that I always get this on draft whenever I can, this is insanely drinkable and I've never been disappointed by one of these.

Axic10, Nov 29, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle dated 11/2

A - Pours with a finger of foam. Orange in color, with a bit of lacing. Very clear as well.

S - Citrus and hops. This is really balanced well for a DIPA. It has almost a tropical smell. Also a note of pine.

T - Wow. I know this beer gets tons of hype, but it is warranted. Easily the smoothest IPA I've had. The balance of hoppiness and sweet is incredible. Very tasty.

M - Smooth, and rediculously light bodies for the style and ABV. This is in my opinion what separates Pliny from other IPA's.

D - Yes. The only limitation is that I can't get this easily in NY. I could and would have this regularly.

I can only imagine this on tap.

socon67, Nov 28, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

beer pours a clear amber with white head

smell - pine, grapefruit, nectar, caramel, honey

taste - hops, grapefruit, mango, honey

mouthfeel - crisp & clean, slightly bitter upfront, sweet in the body, slightly bitter on the finish, but this is good.

drinkability - at ~$5 for 500ml, not gonna go through a lot of it, but this is a nice drinking beverage that I would gladly revisit as this is a style that admittedly I am not a huge fan of, but this was really good, it actually had me yearning for another

keithmurray, Nov 28, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

From notes (2010 Capone's Black Friday event). Hype doesn't become hype by mere coincidence, you know...

A: Orange. Neon freakin' orange, with slight rays of sunshine. Think Pumking. Really stunning in the glass, looks like a warm summer's day.

S: Grapefruits, lemons, oranges, and Christmas trees. Total hop bliss. Like hops that've shed their scent into warm water for hours. Hop tea. I would dab this behind my ears if it were accessible as a cologne.

T: Just picked today grapefruit flesh and lemon juice, not too bitter. Juicy, juicy hops - the west coast style that favors juicy citrus flavor over earthy bitterness.

M: Startlingly light, easy on the tongue. Absolutely no detectable alcohol presence.

D: If sessioning this beer were possible in terms of price and availability, I could imagine it sneaking up on the drinker remarkably quickly.

Like everyone, I'll just point out that if this were more readily available in bottles, I'd buy a case every couple of months. Really lovely, even surpasses Ruination IPA in terms of west coast DIPA glory.

mfunk9786, Nov 28, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +5.4%

A: Very beautiful gold/amber color with faint white head. I poured it slowly so it didn't build much. It leaves a sticky lacing. When drinking, the tiny bubble carbonation moves in the glass like fireworks.

S: Wonderful! Peachy and sweet.

T: The first flavor is a peachy sweetness with grapefruity citrus, followed by hoppy IPA bitterness. Then at the end there is the peach again, and a lingering hop bitterness. I think that the bitterness hangs around a little too long at the end and its a little too much to me, so I can't really give it a solid 5...it's more like a 4.8.

M: Viscous and tingly. It's just great.

D: It would be a 5 if only it weren't 8%, and the bitterness faded just a little faster.

Jemonster, Nov 27, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -6.5%

What is there to say about this beer. It has been reviewed over and over again. It is a great beer, plain and simple so to speak. I received this beer from a friend and the appearance was a nice amber colouring that just glowed in the light. The smell had a great hoppey quality that you just had to smell before every sip. The taste was good not exceptional. The reason why I say this is due to the fact I believe that it would have tasted better fresh. The bottle I had seemed to not be as hoppey as I would have hoped.
Basically the drinkability is please may I have another. If you have not tried this beer get one fresh and don't wait to drink it. If you like IPAs you will love Pliny.

wrightro07, Nov 27, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Finally my first Pliny. Poured into my favorite westmalle chalice. Beer is a darker shade of orange but still glowing. The smell is a perfect balance of sweet and acidity. The sweet is pineapple tanderine and the acidic is orange and a hint of lemon zest. Taste is off the wall! Ive always said that a perfect beer is well balanced. This one comes as close to percfection as it gets. The mouth feel is soft and inviting. I could drink this all day long.

bernardus1212, Nov 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

Had on tap at Capone's Restaurant in East Norriton, PA. Presented in a 12 oz. tulip glass by Matt Capone himself...

A - Great slightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 1 finger eggshell white head that has nice retention to it.

S - Incredible aroma here. Fresh pine and citrus hops all over the nose. Earthy and grass notes come out slightly as the hops really take the forefront here. There seems to be more pine than citrus present.

T - HUGE hop punch on the palate, but in the most pleasant and pleasing way. Pine and citrus flavors roll over the tongue. Pine and grapefruit seem to be the most noticeable flavors. Absolute perfection.

M - Nice and crisp and quite refreshing really. Slight tingle from the hops but a nice clean finish. Aftertaste is everything I would want a beer to be.

D - So nicely done that it really is one that could be had all day. The hops are so well integrated that it doesn't kill the palate like most big IPA's can do. Excellent work.

KAP1356, Nov 27, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

This brew pours a non see through honey hue with nice carbonation and lacing everywhere,the smell is beautiful with notes of floral bouquets,honeydew,honeysuckle and stonefruit,and with the taste it just gets better the mouthfeel is ever so smooth and exudes flavours of passionfruit,honeydew,lychees,some very light pale malts and finishes with a super smooth tiny tinge of stonefruit bitterness but to be honest this bitterness is not really bitter its just so right its not funny and overall this is one exceptional brew that im so glad ive tried and to be honest its right up there with the best beers i have sampled and the only other thing i can say is Russian River know how to brew beers.

ADZA, Nov 26, 2010
4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Had this on tap at the Falling Rock Taphouse. It's nice to visit Denver...

The beer was served in a standard pint glass with a one-finger white head. However, that head was thick, rocky and beautiful. It stayed around for a long time and was wonderful to work with. Te beer itself was a wonderful clear orange. Just a marvel to look at in the glass.

The nose reminded me a lot of (512)'s IPA that I had earlier in the week. Just a ton of hops. Citrusy and piney.

The flavor of the beer was like drinking a citrus juice. I could swear I tasted some grapefruit pulp in there... There were some nice piney hop notes, too. The malt backbone was solid, but definitely more of a role player. This beer reminded me a lot of (512)'s IPA, but it finished a lot cleaner and was more balanced. The carbonation was wonderful and I kept coming back for more sips. I started the night with this beer and I had to come back to it to finish the night, too. Just a fantastic DIPA.

UTCengOwl, Nov 25, 2010

turns out I've been drinking this forever and never reviewed it... great IPA, second best to the younger. well its safe to say I love the pliny's. it is light yellow with little to no white head. smell is biiig hops, pine and citrus. its slightly floral, but not like roses, like citrus blooms. taste is amazing. massive hops with amazing balance. it fills my mouth with joy. also very drinksble

berebrando, Nov 25, 2010
4.65/5  rDev 0%

Bottled on 10/08/10

Pours a slightly hazy golden honey color with a large dense off-white head that slowly slowly settles into quite a puffy cap with a sheet of lacing on the glass. The aroma is of grapefruit hops with some tropical fruit notes; some pepper as well. It is a nice fresh aroma but seems to be a touch muted. The taste is quite similar to the aroma. Nice grapefruit and tropical fruit hop aromas, with a dash of pine. An unassuming honey malt serves as a base for the beer but helps showcase the hops. The feel has a solid moderate feel with some tingly carbonation, finishes with a piney hop bitterness. The carbonation does a really nice job breaking up the malt body. The ABV is nowhere to be found. A very enjoyable DIPA; great balance between the hops and malt. I appreciate a hop forward DIPA as opposed to those sweet malt bombs. The bitterness doesn't linger so it clears the palate nicely. I am probably looking for a bit more fresh hop flavor but you can't beat the balance.

Review #1100

2/20/11 Update

Had another sample which is about 4 weeks old compared to the 7 week old previous sample. The hops have a much more "buddy" flavor to them. They kind of taste like what weed smells like and I like that. All of the other stats remained constant.

Gmann, Nov 25, 2010

I doubt I can add anything more insightful to the already stellar reviews of this beer, but I feel compelled to add my cent(s).

I have had this beer in bottle and recently on tap at the Russian River Brewery (took a little trip to Santa Rosa last week). Both experiences were delightful.

The thing that most impresses me about this beer is that it manages to avoid the heavy or syrupy consistency one can get from a double IPA. To get at the high alch level, there must be an abundance of sugars, but this beer doesnt come off as heavy as other DIPAs. It has a wonderfully clean and dry-ish finish with excellent grapefruit forward flavors (my favorite fruit note in an IPA). All in all, this is a perfectly crafted DIPA and I wish I could install a tap line from Santa Rosa directly to my place in DC.

Well done, Russian River! Also, check out their Sours...amazing.

philipashley, Nov 23, 2010

This is my first 'real' beer review/tasting ever. I hope to get better at this and I realize it is not very detailed and probably derivative of other reviews, but the following is what I noted about this superb beer.

So here it goes:

Appearance: A bit hazy, gold color. Poured with one finger head.

Smell: Pine. A hint of strong citrus.

Taste: Pine first and foremost, then citrus (grapefruit maybe?), with an earthy finish.

Mouthfeel: Crisp with perfect carbonation to match taste. Almost creamy which is an added bonus for an IPA.

Drinkability: Yes. All night if I had the money and tolerance, which I don't on either count. I'm usually good after one of these. Sometimes two. Then I'm really good.

Cheers!

jtk, Nov 23, 2010
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Woo! Pliny! Pretty sure I'm special now... right?

I had this one on 11/9/10, and it was a bottle date of 8/16/10. Pretty sure Vinnie would have told me to throw it out. But it was the freshest I could score and I'll come back to update this when I have a newly minted one to review and compare.

That said, for its lack of freshness it was still a solid solid brew. A great initial bite nearly comes through the nose along with florals, and looking at the pour it's a lovely headed amber/golden hued West Coast IPA through and through. Exactly what you would expect, and done well. The taste follows that hoppy bite with a citrus presence, and a bit of a malt backbone. Sorta sits there like a Sculpin.

Ahh, and a clean finish too. Although start to end I couldn't say this stood out from other well done WC IPA's, I can easily say that I'd drink it again. When I'm in the mood for getting slammed (that's what she said?) with hops. Or feeling special.

----UPDATE--- Yeah, it was the freshness, and that the beer was unsettled. This is a damn great beer. Fresher, cleaner, crisper. Goddamn. Hell yes. Also note: causes the girlfriend "beerface".

afksports, Nov 22, 2010

Bottled 5/26/10

A-Pleasant amber with medium cloud. Low rising head with beautiful lace.
S-Great aroma. Pine and sweetness of clover honey and fresh hops. Reminding me of a plesant summer morning in Sonoma, this is one IPA that truely brought my mind to a different place!
T-Unlike the wonderful sweet honey smell, the sweetness was perfect and not overpowering. Pine and clover taste evident and welcoming. Beautiful hoppy aftertaste that took my taste buds to waters edge pine grove.
M-Immediatly bright and friendly! Post taste finish lively and complex.
D-Excellent Double/IPA! Smooth and incredibly inviting. Perfect alcohol intensity without pushing the envelope. The Elder makes you want to come back for more!

The Elder has plenty to offer that I look forward to taste The Younger!

getgetgettleman, Nov 22, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Review from notes on 6/17/10

Bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to Chris for this West Coast awesomeness!

A - hazy tangerine orange, white 2" head, nice bands of spiderweb lace. Decent retention. 4.0

S - pine bomb! Touch of spruce, rosin, tiny bit of honey and biscuits. 4.0

T - Deliciously hoppy. Lots of pine, like sucking on a pine cone. Good balance of honey malt in the background. Actually this is fairly well balanced. 4.5

M - Medium/light bodied, very smooth carbonation, a little prickle on the tongue. 4.5

D - Extremely. I can drink this all the time. I wish RR distributed to NY :( 5.0

DmanGTR, Nov 21, 2010