Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,336
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottled on 10/4/11.

Golden yellow with a decent amount of head and great lacing. Floral, citrusy, sweet, grassy hops greet your nose. Pretty much nothing but hops, but very complex. i got a little bit of light grain as well, after a few sips.The taste buds are hit by soapy, bitter hops. Some sweet pale malt goes with the aggressive, but light hop taste. Bitter, pine hop flavor lingers. The feel of this beer is perfect. Wet, thin, perfectly drinkable. Easiest DIPA I've had to date.

What more can be said about Pliny? It made DIPAs drinkable and was the first IPA I had that I thought I could introduce my wife to, who, at the time, hated hoppy beers. The complexity cannot be overstated, especially for a beer style that is known for just kicking you in the face. The guys at RR know what the hell they're doing with this beer, being delicate but still saying something strong and loud at the same time.

4.63/5  rDev -0.4%

Bottled one month prior to drinking (9/21/11 to 8/22/11)
Note: I did my best to judge this vs. the style as I am aware that this is one of the most popular and highly rated DIPAs around.

Appearance: Pours a huge, resistant head of cream colored foam on top of a light, straw-gold body. This seems a little light of a color for this style. Clarity is a shade less than brilliant.

Aroma: Sweet, fresh hop oils, sweet cream, and some pine and citrus, though neither of those play anything more than second-fiddle.

Flavor: Strong pine with touches of lemon. The bitterness and hop profile is very large, as an american DIPA should be, though it is balanced sublimely by a subtle malt force that acts just enough as a dampening factor to keep the hops from accelerating beyond control. Alcohol is noted in the far finish.

MF: Perfectly fits the style. Drinkable, likable, not sweet or syrupy. This is a drinking, not sipping beer.

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into pint glass after I made sure the temp was right.

Light color, great lacing and HUGE pineapple nose with pine and malt in good cadence. Seemed like each quaff was different and enjoyable. CHEWY. The sharpness up front was spot on for the style and seemed like the normal DIPA for me, but the END was subtle and even more enjoyable...I think this is where the drinkability comes in to play as all the other reviews have stated. The alcohol burn was noticeable for me, but blended quite well with the malt and hops in this. TOTAL EQUILIBRIUM.

I waited awhile to get this from the west coast. Sent to me from my brother who was there a week ago and ended up having to send to me from Philadelphia. Not sure if during that time the profile had changed, but I think I got the main components of the brew. The appearance was normal for the style, the nose was excellent, and taste was sharp up front and subtle in the end, which keeps you wanting more.

At this point in my quest to find my favorite DIPA, this ranks right up there. There are many that have better taste profile, but drinkability and aftertaste quality of this beer is exceptional.

4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a bottle dated 8/18/11 into a Duvel tulip.

A: Giving the bottle a generous and vigorous pour, I got about 2/3 of the bottle into the tulip before the gorgeous head threatened to spill over. There's at least 2" of thick fluffy head that fades slowly and provides amazing lacing. Beer is a slightly hazy golden amber. Could not ask for a better looking DIPA.

S: Smelled primarily of citrus hops, hops, and then more hops. Perhaps a bit of herbal tones as well, and just the hint of malt underneath the mountain of hops. I knew this was supposed to be wearing the crown for hopheads, and now I understand why.

T: Perhaps this is due to the fact that this beer is sixty days olf - "the hops fade in hour 23" jokes aside - but I find this has more dominant malt backbone than I had anticipated. Obviously floral and citrus qualities abound here and are the primary flavors, but there's a certain breadiness that hits on the finish which is not unwelcome. If the hops have faded in this at all, I'm almost afraid to know what they tasted like fresh.

M: Pliny feels appropriate carbonated and medium in it's feel down the tongue. Doesn't coat the tongue quite as much as this RIS lover might like, but that's inherent in the style. Can't fault RR for that here.

O: Despite not having them at the same time, I'm inclined to say that Hopslam is my favorite DIPA due to the huge citrus tastes and the hints of honey. However, given that this is a year round brew and a very fairly priced one at that, this receives top notches. I can't think of a better year round beer for the hophead among us. Now if it was only distributed out of California!

Thanks to furthurgone for this in trade!

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Received a 1 PINT .90 FL.OZ. (500 ML) bottle of this from mdvatab in a trade. Poured from the Forest Green bottle with Pliny the Elder labeled in a Red Circle & is bordered w/ sayings like "PLINY IS A HISTORICAL FIGURE, DON'T MAKE THE BEER INSIDE THIS BOTTLE ONE", "CONSUME PLINY FRESH OR NOT AT ALL!", & many more into my 0,4l New Belgium Oversized Snifter Glass. Has BOTTLED ON: 071911 on the side in a box & enjoyed during Game 1 of the World Series- STL vs. TX. Go Cards!

Aroma- A very strong citrus aroma starts it off with TONS of hop character. Has a grassy aroma as well but more in the background. A bit of fruit and alcohol are also found. Not the same as the aroma I had on-tap but definitely reminds me of how Pliny was this summer in CA.

Appearance- Pours a 2 finger head that lasts for a great amount of time. Has a nice golden colored body that is clear. The lacing is made up of suds but its very big on the glass.

Flavor- Grapefruit flavor and strong hops make up this brew. Seems like very rare hops are used because the taste is very rare! Citrusy and a bit of booziness but not too overpowering. Perfect finish, medium-full on the bitterness.

Mouthfeel- Medium-Full Bodied, Medium Carbonation, Smooth, and has a nice alcohol warming with hops mixed in.

Overall Impression- Thanks again Mark! This is one of my favorite IPA's once again (go figure). I did enjoy it more on-tap back this summer and this may have been due to how fresh it was @ Naja's Place. Either way, get your hands on this one! Perfect grapefruit and citrus taste.

4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Intro: I must say up front the review is from notes that were taken at the time of tasting. Posting the review is done much later. The “Bottled on Date” is 07/11/2011

Appearance: Pours a bright, light copper color. It’s evident that no barrel aging has taken place. It seems somewhat pale in comparison to other IPA’s. Head is abundant and very light colored, again indicating no barrel aging. You get your first indication that this beer is going to be different. It gives the appearance of a very clean and tidy brew.

Smell: WOW!! Hops, citrus, and pine. Again, beauty in simplicity is the impression I am left with.

Taste: Again, very straightforward and very simple. Hops and citrus. You get quite the taste of citrus peel/zest. Nothing fancy, just plain in your face Dragnet/Joe Friday “just the facts ma’am”.

Mouthfeel: Very dry. I seem to be left with the resin oily feel. Not over the top but definitely noticeable.

Overall: I’m left with the question of “Is this what they mean when they refer to “Left Coast IPA’s”. It was different than most of the IPA’s I’m used to, being from the Midwest. Not bad, just different. I’m not saying I didn’t enjoy the beer but it was not quite what I expected from all the hype that surrounds it. HopSlam is another very hyped up beer but that exceeded the hype for me, this did not. The best I can describe this beer is “Simple Elegance”. No bells, whistles, bourbon or brandy barrel aging. Just straight away hops and kick a$$ IPA.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

500ml bottle poured into an imperial pint glass.

What an awesome brew this is. I picked up 12 (fresh) bottles last year or so while in Oregon and thought it was a great brew. I just scored another (fresh) bottle this week and it's certainly better than I remembered. It poured a nice hazy orangy color which I love but others seem to deduct points for. I'm right, they're wrong. The hops and malt seem to be in balance with neither standing above the other. While this is an exceptional DIPA, there are a couple out there that are better (but not many). This is certainly a beer that I would pay a premium for and if it were available to me on a regular basis, I would drink the shit out of it. I like that the price point is reasonable for the quality of the brew.

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

Presentation-Seems to be in a very simple labled bottle. Like how it refers to the freshness of the beer and makes a constant reminder to not age and drink as soon as you can. Freshness is key to this beer.

Appearance-The beer itself seems to be a nice soft golden orange with a cloudy touch to it. Get about a finger and a half of truly delicious head. The lacing is wonderful, showing amount of sip taking each time.

Smell-As your nose starts to reach the beer, you smell strong odors of hops to no end, tons of grapefruit that you cant hide. Bitter flavors that sit on the sides of your mouth. Maybe a mix of green apples here and pine. Dont really taste much of a pineapple, could be my palate.

Taste-Boom! Thats how i would describe this beer. The second it enters your mouth its strong to deliver what a DIPA should be. Pine needles are present so are stints of wood and lemon. The draw is powerful and finishes with a slight bitterness and lingering dry hops on your tounge that ultimately leave you wanting another sip. Probably why i tend to drink this beer quite fast.

Mouthfeel-Like a DIPA this beer seems to be heavy when it enters your mouth. Almost like taking in a full chew of some form of food. Its delicious and extremely refreshing. The notes of hops come alive and malts seem to creep their way in there also. Again the grapefruit is sampled all over the place and the carbonation is well porportioned to really give it a full and bold drink and a solid crisp.

Overall-Ive never really been a big drinker of IPA or DIPA until recently and ive had quite a few different ones throughout the months and i have to say this one is by far my top 3. Probably could be the number one. Theyre rather easy for me to aquire being that i live fairly close to the brewery so i have 5 in the fridge right now. Picked up three today. A great beer and fine DIPA, everyone should at least try this beer. Drinking a fresh opened bottle poured into a pint glass or pilsner glass nice and cold tastes better than the beer on tap. In my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev -3.2%

Bottle dated 9/21/11. Poured into a New Belgium globe. I've had this beer a few times in the past and an thankfull to have it again. Honestly, I didn't really care for it in the past, but it seems that I'm just in the mood for a good IPA this evening.

Pours amber with a huge fluffy white head. This is a very attractive beer with great lacing all the way through.

Smells like fresh pineapple, pine, and resin. It is a delight to the nose. I could crawl into my glass and go to sleep.

The taste is as expected. Pine, pineapple, citrus peel, resin, and general deliciousness.

I like how the carbonation opens up those taste bids for the goodness that will follow. The feel is nice and creamy as well.

Overall, this was a delight. More, please.

4.53/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The archetypal DIPA; got this from bstaffor today in a box for a BIF and wasted no time at all opening it up. Could not ask for more from the appearance. About 2 fingers of bright white head sits on top of a clear golden beer. Amazing lacing and extremely long lasting head. Aroma is very nice as well. Big grapefruit citrus hop bomb. Very clean, very grapefruit, very citrus. Taste is great as well, clean, pretty dry, very citrus hop forward, with a big bitterness that follows everything else. Very enjoyable. Screw balance, this beer is all about the hops. Mouthfeel is surprisingly light for an 8% beer, with mid-high carb. Overall what a great beer. Not usually the biggest DIPA fan, but I have been looking forward to trying this for a long time. Damn good beer. Was looking for problems and flaws, but really couldn't find any.

4.6/5  rDev -1.1%

Remarkably clear with a sticky beige head. The nose is full of grapefruit hops. Spicy hops at first followed by pineapple, pine, grapefruit, and a chalky finish. A lingering malt sweetness, as well.

The balance and complexity are outstanding. And while it's only 8% ABV, it sneaks up on you.

It's not life-changing to me, but it's pretty darn good.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

My first review has to go straight to the top. Luckily I found Pliny the Elder at a local shop and have been enjoying it for months now.

The appearance is lighter in color, but don’t let that fool you. The aromas are intense. The taste lingers and lingers in your mouth, way after swallowing it. It has a more refined blending of flavors from top to bottom. Definitely a beer you have to drink at least once in your lifetime. You can tell there was a lot of time and effort put into this. There are other IPAs from California that can match this in robustness, but they can’t touch it in elegance.

4.45/5  rDev -4.3%

Bottle opened one month and a half after it was brewed : time to come to France and rest after its long trip from California.

A : Lots of fine bubbles racing through a light and clear orange see with glints of yellow light to a nice foaming surface. The head is dense, smooth and lingering.

S : Begins with an engaging floral hoppiness. Next comes the bitterness : overwhelming grapefruit, lemon also. More and more resinous as it warms.

T : Nice balance between maltiness and hoppiness. The acidity foreseen with the nose is not to much present. The taste is mainly sweet caramel malts, citruses and pines flavor. Finishes with a quite long lasting bitterness, although not overpowering as it could be for the style.

M : Very pleasant. Good carbonation. Creamy but salivating. Nice lingering aftertaste.

O : Nothing original in this beer despite its rarity, but a very good balance between the sweetness of the malts, the aromas from the hops and the bitterness. Brewed with mastery !

A very nice complexity of hops crammed into this beer, citrus, grapefuit and a hint of pine. Malt body is substanial, hinting toward syrupy, to carry the hops burden. Finish is a satisfyingly dense, lingering hops that grabs the back of the tongue with tenacity. ETOH is evident, but not hot or harsh.

There are other very good DIPAs out there, and this certainly stands among them. While I wanted to share in the lauding of this beer as one of the best-of-the-best, my humble estimation was a bit less.

4.38/5  rDev -5.8%

"...PLINY THE ELDER IS A HISTORICAL FIGURE, DON'T MAKE THE BEER INSIDE THIS BOTTLE ONE..."

A Long awaited new vs ever so slightly old Pliny review awaits...

Ok, so I have wrapped up two different batches of Pliny the Elder in paper towels so that they are indistinguishable. One of two bottles is the most recent batch released, (and is the most recently available in Los Angeles) and is likely a bit less than two weeks old. The other bottle is the previous released batch, which is something like twice as old as the first (still not very old, even by IPA standards). I did not commit the specific bottling dates to memory and don't want to remove the blindfolds which make each a mystery, So I will post them once I'm done reviewing both bottles in full.

This review is going to both incorporate a review of Pliny the elder, and the effect of aging over a short period of time. This effect, which may or may not be perceivable to this not so humble reviewers palate. The warnings on bottles, and quote from said bottles at the top of this review, would lead one to believe that Russian River feels something distinctly negative happens over time to this beer. This is true of all IPA's but to what extent and for how long does a beer stay worthy???

---Ok bottle #One (again I have no idea which it is)---

A: let it be known there is light. Pliny is crazy bright and is not unlike petrified amber. The air however isn't trapped, It rises up and releases a pretty nice looking head. The foam is just barely off white and has ok retention. In it's wake it leaves a spiderweb lacing.

S: The nose is of fallen pine needles first and foremost. While it has a fairly pronounced bouquet It's mostly of green and forest floor aromas. I will say as this warms it presents a white grapefruit like perfume in addition.

T: A refreshing quaff... much more citrus is pronounced on the tongue than ones nose would lead them to expect. White grapefruit which reminds me a little bit of Haribo white grapefruit sour candy minus the sour. Green and brown pine lingers on the finish and resonates for some time after the citrus is gone. In the end a touch of subtle sweet malty caramel flavors adds it's hand in this beers complexity and helps balance the more astringently dry nature of this beer.

M: Sticky, Prickly.

O: I don't think I really need to comment here. This is a fantastic beer and to which all other DIPA's are put up against. Finishing with more perceivable dryness than sweetness, yet leaves room for a little bit of sweet balancing malt.

---Blind Bottle # Two---

Ok, with a bit of a palate cleanse its on to Bottle #2 (I've no idea which is which still):

A: So a similar looking beer sits before me. I would dare say however that its just a touch lighter in color (on the yellow side of the spectrum). Other than that it's tit for tat.

S: Once again the pine needle is in the lead. Citrus peel is an a bit of an afterthought as it warms up though it's present. I do feel that this one is less pronounced on the nose and I sense a bit of caramel in the aroma as well which was not noteworthy in the first pour.

T: As the nose aroma would have had me believe The big difference factor I find between the two is the presence of malty sweet flavors. Brown pine needles (not green and brown, just brown and dried) and caramel malty granola sweet flavors are markedly more present. The citrus present in glass one is only a faint afterthought.

M: Smooth with a tickle.

O: All and all this still carries most of the flavor of glass #1 but lacks the PHAP-ZHOU perceived drying quality which is so important in this style. I have to assume at this point all of this is due to the limited aging potential of hops and that this is the older brew. Still bitter overall, I am being very specifically picky, all of this is not to say the older version is totally bad. It is to say that I think it is different in ways which are felt by the drinker, and could easily lead to a misperception as to just how good this stuff can be.

Ok... Am I a total fool????

Bottle one date: 100411 or exactly 12 days old. AMAZING!

Bottle two date: 091611 Exactly 1 month old!!! wow I didn't look at the actual date on the bottle before pouring but it was bottled a month ago today.

I have always been curious as to the breaking points of IPA's. At what point has a beer changed in a good or bad way to the palate of its taster. IPA's are more susceptible than just about anything to father time but I find different beers of style tend to remain "good" for varying amounts of time. Why and which? More to come...

Note: Final number ratings directly relate to the better and most fresh of two (10/04/11) bottles.

3.48/5  rDev -25.2%

Loads of thanks go out to n8dietz for picking this bottle up for me whilst in CO.

Bottled on 09-16-11

Clear, light copper color with good bubbling. Two finger head after the pour and solid foam for all 500ml. Lacing was just barely there.

Strong, astringent grapefruit hop resin aroma. Maybe catch a little toasted barley malt in the aroma. A little earthy, but mostly powerful citric hop aroma.

Powerful, astringent hops of a grapfruit rind and floral nature. Pretty dominant from start to finish. The middle lets a little toasted malt come through in the way of bread crust and biscuits. But this is pretty faint amidst the fresh atringent hop bomb. The finish has even more added astringency thanks to the 8% abv.

This beer is just a little resiny, but mostly metallic on the tongue.

I'm so glad I got to try this hyped up beer thats unavailable to IL residents. But it was not as good as I expected or hoped for.

4.8/5  rDev +3.2%

sampled 08-04-11 (bottled 06-29-11)

Pours clear golden with two fingers of solid head, nice lacing left on glass.
Big hoppy ctrus and grapefruit on nose.
Complex yet balanced flavors of floral and citrus hops and malty characture.
Nice oily hoppy mouth coating, alcohol lingers on the finish. Very nice!

4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

Served from a bottle poured into a tulip glass (46F). Bottled on 21 September 2011; served on 15 October 2011.

A-Pours a clear golden-orange color. A nice, thick foamy white head. Good lacing after every drink.

S-A good swirl brings out pine. As the beer settles, more floral and citrus aromas are revealed. Overall sweetness to the aroma.

T-The sweet aroma carries into the first taste of the beer with grapefruit character. The malt backbone reveals itself and balances nicely with the hops and bitter finish.

M-Takes over your palate with a lasting bitterness. Starts slick but finishes sticky and mouthwatering.

O-The aroma to flavor transition is terrific. A good breath through the nose during a drink prepares the palate for the beer. The lasting bitterness that sticks to the palate makes your mouth water for another drink.

4.1/5  rDev -11.8%

Bottled on 9/16/11, opened on 10/14/11

A: Bright clear gold, beads of carbonation flowing up. Huge, 3 finger foamy white head with considerable lacing left behind.

S: Pineapple, pine and citrus.

T: Grapefruit, sweet malt, light pine and hints of nectarine. Mild hop bitterness comes on slowly in the finish.

M: Creamy, yet crisply refreshing, medium body with medium carbonation.

O: Very drinkable, really well balanced beer. Not overly bitter like many in this style.

4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottled 9-7-11, Consumed 10-11-11
A: Copper, amber colored pour into New Belgium globe glass. Produces a two finger white head that has excellent retention and leaves behind a lattice of lace on the rim of the glass.
S: Floral hops abound! Citrus and pine notes are present.
T: Very hoppy with floral and pine flavors hitting initially. Next, comes a bit of malt backbone with citrusy, almost grapefruit flavor ceding to a slightly bitter finish that seems to linger but never overtakes the palate.
M: Medium-bodied with vigorous carbonation. Very well-balanced.
O: Extremely drinkable IIPA that surprises the taste buds by never reaching the anticipated bitterness and concealing its ABV quite well. I have been able to secure two more from this batch and am looking forward to enjoying them very soon. It is a real treat for the senses.

4.65/5  rDev 0%

Finally got to try this brew after a very long wait. I am a huge fan of IPAs and Double IPAs. After reading a little while ago that this was top in its class, it was a must. Very hard to find though since I am on the East Coast.

-Great head while after poured into pint glass
-Great light copper color with a golden hue
-Lace was great with a thick mark left on the glass with each taste
-smell was fantastic with piny and floral hop hints hitting my nose
-taste was gripping with smooth characters and bite behind it.
-Overall awesome IPA that every fan of this type of ale should have on their want list

4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Fresh Pliny, consumed last Friday. This was actually the first fresh Pliny I have recieved. Served in a New Belgium tulip glass. The Head and glass retention was perfect. The smell was piny and a little floral scent. The taste was phenomenal. Grapefruit, pine, and HOPs!! The abv very well hidden. It blew the doors off all the other Pliny I have had. Fresh Pliny is where it's at!! love it!! Thanks Riko for the extra!

4.72/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a New Belgium globe. Perfect,golden cream colored frothy, silky head. It dissipates some, but leaves a thin yet frothy layer as it goes down. Massive sticky lacing on the glass. The smell is bold, a combination of pine and citrus, a very clean aroma that's not overpowering. I'll admit, i don't drink a lot of IPAs or DIPAs, but this beer is extremely tasty. Again, the pine, citrus, grapefruit flavors are all well balanced and work harmoniously. The mouthfeel is crisp, smooth, and for lack of a better word, perfect. Overall, I waited a long time to try this beer, and in fact I had to overpay for it on Ebay just to get it. To say that I was skeptical is an understatement, as this beer has reached mythical status. But I can attest to it's reputation, this is a fine, fine beer. I'll probably never have it again due to the price, but I'm glad I got to see what all of the fuss was about. I don't drink DIPAs usually, but surely, this one is King.

4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from bottle dated 9/21/11 into my RR-tion glass. This is not my first, nor my last Pliny thanks to Cisco619 and killer PA distribution (we get it on tap)

This stuff pours a gorgeous, clear orange. Decent 1 inch head dissapates to leave a thinb white film and nice lacing all down the glass.

The smell is absolutely fantastic! Fresh, oily hops dominate.The smell is a fresh citrus with a bit of pine. It's hard to detect much else over the mouthwatering hop aroma.

Taste is right up there with the smell. At first contact on the tongue there is a wonderful blast of hops, just slightly bitter. This deliciousness continues all the way through the swallow. It never turns overly bitter. Just a delicious, oily hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is no exception to this fantastic beer. Nice smooth, creamy feel. It is never too heavy or thin. The ABV is absolutely hidden. Carbonation is just right.

This beer is magic. While I prefer it just a touch on tap, it is still excellent in the bottle. It never gets old. This is one you MUST try.

4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

A. Very nice caramel color to it. There's a nice white, foamy head that leaves a ton of lacing. Basically opaque.

S. Solid floral scent. Some fruitiness.

T. Has a beautiful rye crispness to it. Some nice sweet honey/lemon to it. Very well-balanced hoppiness. Good dark-fruit aftertaste.

M. Very nice but not over-powering tingle. Goes down smooth, even though it's carbonated.

D. The hype is real. This is as smooth and complexly balanced as a beer can beer.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company