Pliny The Elder - Russian River Brewing Company

Pliny The ElderPliny The Elder

Wants: 5,010
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
4.65/5  rDev 0%

When I opened this hard to obtain I.P.A. I was expecting great things and I would not be disapointed. Big thanks to Vinnie at russian river for sending me A list of places to buy this fine beverage.

A: Clear gold with hints of orange and yellow carbination bubbles rise from the bottom of A decently poured beer. The head takes A steady rise up the glass and holds at two fingers long enough to remember its glorious presence.

N: The nose is amazing. Floral comes first followed by brilliant orange and grapefruit citrus. The smell is enough to know that this is going to be special.

T: Wow this awsome I cant belive that this beer held up to the amount of hype that I had coming in to the first drink. Solid citrus with orange and grapefruit. The malt that I did not smell in the nose is suttle but present. This balances this beer on A needle. The hops are good but not strong, the malts are soft yet have enough body to hold the beer together.

M: The feel is good but almost any double India is going to have good mouthfeel. I could only give a 4 because the finish lacked the dryness that could high light A solid feel.

D: I could drink this All DAY or until I fall down. This beer is smoth and only gets better as it warms up a few degrees. The alcohol is hidden very well adding to its drinkability.

fartist71, Apr 30, 2010
4.2/5  rDev -9.7%

Date on bottle 4/05/10

Thanks again to d0ggnate for helping me get some fresh stuff.

Bottled on 3/22/10

A: Dark yellow with a very large white head. Good retention and a decent amount of lacing.

S: Floral, citrus, grapefruit, pine. While mostly citrus and grapefruit, this one has a little bit of everything.

T: Light malt with grapefruit and floral hop flavor. A lot more bitter than what I was expecting. The taste is good, but the didn't live up to what I was expecting based upon the smell.

M: Medium in body, with a good decent amount of carbonation.

D: Top notch DIPA. It will definitely remain on my wants list so that I can hopefully score some more.

Kanebanger, Apr 30, 2010
4.76/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

500ml bottle into Gulden Draak tulip.

A: Pours a cloudy honey-citrus color with a large tan head that slowly reduced into a thin film that left thick chunky sticky lacing all the way down the glass.
S: Very sweet fruity and floral hops with some notes of pine and fresh cut grass. I pick up passion fruit, pineapple, and tangerine peel as well.
T: Huge spicy hop bite destroys the palate and leaves you wanting more. Tons of pine, fruit and spice.
M: Alcohol is hidden well. It is only barely noticeable in the finish. Bitterness lingers on after you swallow and the finish is dry. Carbonation melts in your mouth.
D: Definitely one of my favorite DIPA's and beers in general. Everyone should try this beer to know what a great DIPA tastes like. I may not pick it up every time I see it, but it is a great brew to have on any occasion. Definitely lives up to the hype.

scottfrie, Apr 30, 2010

bottle into Duvel tulip
I have had this beer several times on-tap and I am anxious to see how the bottle version compares. A "Bottled on" date was the month before. Pours lemony orange with a 3-inch white head which settles . Lacing is elegant and lasting. Nose is pine, orange and grapefruit. Taste though, my goodness... so refreshing, so balanced. First the citrus and some bitterness hits you, but it quickly gives way to malt biscuity sweetness. The carbonation is perfect, influencing the appearance and the mouthfeel. I can't add much to the hundreds of reviews found here. This is just a GREAT beer, period.

regspeir, Apr 30, 2010
4.58/5  rDev -1.5%

500mL bottle poured into a Duvel tulip, bottle dated 020810 and drank with a little under two months of age

It pours slight hazy bright tangerine. A billowing off white pillowy textured three fingered head come alive during the pour and dies down to an almost permanent one fingered cap. A minimal amount of lacing coast the sides of the glass as the liquid level lowers.

The first thing that hits me is a very realistic orange aroma, it's very juicy. There is also a complimenting piny smell but it takes a backseat to the orange for me. While the smell is good it doesn't blow me away like the highest rated available DIPA should.

The taste is unsurprisingly all hop and no malt. I'm picking up much less orange type fruit and much more florals with distinct grassy taste at the end. The flavor itself is really a complex play of hop flavors, more than I've experienced before. The bitterness in this beer is what is truly sets it apart from others in my opinion; it's fully present but it's so smooth. The problem I have with a lot of DIPA's is a harsh and lasting bitterness (Ruination I'm looking at you). This beer had none of that and didn't even leave any type of lasting bitter aftertaste. A truly impressive flavor.

The mouthfeel was nice and dry as I like it but had a too much carbonation for me, even with my Duvel tulip releasing a constant stream of bubbles. This also is probably tied with Hopslam as the easiest drinking DIPA I've encountered.

I was really glad to finally try this raved about beer. I really try hard not to let preconceptions or hype sway my opinions. I also am not a biggest fan of DIPA's and my ratings can reflect that. This beer really did blow me away and I could really fall in love with the style if more beers were similar to this although I have a feeling many brewers are already trying to emulate Vinnie's creations.

weatherdog, Apr 30, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Bottle, Acquired in a DLD trade, worked out awesome

Drank with a clean palate early in the morning.

A: Great looking, foamy head, big bubbles, popping to the surface as it dissipated, it looked like sea foam to me.

S: pine needles, once you've held freshly stripped white pine needles in your hand you've held the hops aroma of this beer. It had hints of beer and citrus in there.

T: Great, but I've had better IPA for sure, Hopslam fresh, Double Crooked Tree, Tossing some love out for my home state brews here.

M: Like a beer should feel

D: This beer was actually refreshing. No complaining. I could have had more of this.

I wonder if it's better on tap?

Donerik, Apr 29, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -5.4%

A big thanks to Drink1121 for this one. Poured the 500 mL bottle (dated March 22, 2010) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Hazy golden yellow amber, it poured with a good white head that died slowly to a good film.
S: Not as extreme as I remember (I had this one at the brewpub a year back), but it has very earthy noble hops that come off as grassy. There is some tart, bitter fruit, like blackberries, behind apple muffins and apricots.
T: Earthy, almost like a Belgian IPA or Golden Ale, with biting earthy raspberries and blackberries lingering on the finish behind an apple muffin sensation. The hops are billowing and resiny, slightly tart and dry, and grassy on the finish.
M: Mildly syrupy, spritzy and slightly frothy. It has a dry, clean finish that's almost astringent.
D: Good, but I wouldn't want to have more than a couple pints.

After having the beer again, I adjusted "Drinkability" 4.0 to "Overall" 3.0. It's a solid beer, but it's just not as exciting as other options.

ne0m00re, Apr 29, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Slightly hazy, brilliant orange in color. Head is about a half inch thick, with decent retention and fairly good, spotty lacing down the glass.

S - Pungent up front aroma of tangerines with a quick whiff of pine, then mostly citrus hops, and some biscuity malts in the background.

T - Delicious hops front to back. Starts out with citrus hop tastes with some biscuity, bready malts trying to come through. Transitions smoothly to floral hop bitterness in the long finish.

M - Medium body, medium carbonation. Perfectly creamy smoothness across the palate. Thick, resinous pine hop oils thickly coat the inside of my mouth through the finish.

D - Delicious brew, well balanced, with a light enough body to really throw down a few of these. The abv will really catch up to you quick.

garuda, Apr 29, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to route66pubs for this one!!

Poured a beautiful peach colored cloudy yellow orange hue. Almost perfect. Lacing develops into almost complete coverage of the glass by the end.

Smells of citrus and pine at the same time. How they did that I don't know. Pungent and soothing simultaneously. Incredible.

Still nothing prepares you for the taste. Near sensory overload of sweet citrusy grapefruity piney goodness. Smooth isn't even the word. Nice drawn out and crisp finish. Near perfection.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing. Exactly where you'd want it to be in a brew this caliber. Amazing.

The 8% is super well hidden. You'd want to drink this instead of water if you had the choice.

This is an amazing beer. It lives up to and surpasses the hype by a long shot. Are you kidding me? I almost feel guilty for not having this on a special occasion. Damn near flawless!

livewire78, Apr 28, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours an amber color with a medium head that falls slowly and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is WOW. Hops then some hops. But there is an underlying sweetness that has a caramel character. Smells very nice. The flavor is surprisingly balanced. Lots of hop flavors, but also there is plenty of malt sweetness and caramel flavor. I'm the opposite of a hop head, but this beer tastes great to me. The flavor hops aren't over the top like most I2PA's. It just blends and adds the bitterness at the end. Very nice beer. The body is moderate and the drinkability is great for 8%.

Wantbeer, Apr 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a nice straw yellow with a small head and lots of lacing. The scent is very hoppy right off the bat, then you get a great floral scent that has a slightly sweat citrus smell, like a ripe tangerine.

As for the flavor, wow! Hops come out right away and quite strongly as anticipated. You definitely get that floral taste at the end and it is very earthy and enjoyable. I don't get much of the citrus that I smelled, but it isn't necessary.

This is decently carbonated and nice and dry. This all goes to making it very drinkable. More so than most.

This is my first of this style and I enjoyed it quite a bit!

VWBuggirl, Apr 22, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

I've had this beer roughly a billion times now, and its aromas and flavors are pretty much ingrained in my psyche at this point. 500ml bottle with a "bottled on" date of 04/05/10 poured into a tall mug, this is much hazier than any draft pour of Elder I've had. It's peach-colored, moderately cloudy and topped by an exceptionally frothy cap that not only sustains well but leaves thick rings of lace around the glass.

The aroma is rich with pine, grapefruit and orange along with a bit of tropical fruit, predominantly pineapple. There's nary a hint of sweetness and any hint of malt is obliterated by the hop assault. Maybe it's because I've consumed so much of this beer over the years, and maybe it's because I'm a drunken hobo, but there's something comforting about the aroma.

Taste mirrors aroma with this one: citrusy, tropical fruit hits the taste buds first - pineapple, orange, grapefruit - followed by a smack of pine (this stuff almost tastes "green"). There's very faint malt presence, biscuit-like, and a bitterness so perfectly balanced with the flavoring hops that it goes almost unnoticed until the glass is half empty. The mouthfeel is arguably where this beer excels the most; it's so light, so crisp and dry, it could easily be mistaken for a beer with far more modest alcohol content.

Drinkability is...well...my pint is almost gone, and it seems like I just poured it a moment ago. It's a beer difficult to savor.

Hyperbole aside, the bottles aren't quite as exceptional as the fresh draft pours, though they're still outstanding and priced quite reasonably given the quality.

largadeer, Apr 22, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -6.9%

Tnx to mrstevens for sharing. Poured into a snifter. This bottle is just a little over 3 weeks old.

A- Pours golden orange in color. A inch of a off white head that sticks around for a bit and comes right back with a little swirl. Nice lacing left.

S- Big piney hops and some citus notes, primarily grapefruit.

T- U guessed it....an explosion of hops in my mouth. The citrus is blended in well. The grapefruit aspect is very distinct. I'm missing the malt profile that I love in most E coast DIPAs. I don't think it's as good as hopslam, but I'm not complaining.

M- Bitterness isn't overpowering and it leaves a nice dry finish.

D- Just about perfect!!! The only knock here is the fact that I prefer a little more "sweetness" from my DIPAs. All in all a great beer that I would def drink again.

urwithdave, Apr 19, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +4.3%

1st review- had to be something great.

Bought bottles from Total Wine&More in Rancho Cucamonga, Ca. Poured into oversized tulips.

A- golden in color with a moderate head with fine bubbles.

S- hoppyness is obvious, but had also a light sweet/delicate floral note in the background. It was strong coming out of the bottle/during the pour, but was more subdued when in the glass but still nicely fragrant while sipping.

T- I love that this beer has a "evolving" bitterness. The first layer is a bit of a citrusy, green grassy, fresh hoppy bittnerness then leaving on the palette the bitterness becomes a bit more mellow and sweet floral/herbaceous (kinda taste like fresh tree bark/leaves) background and ends almost a bit fruity and honey-ish, with a whisper of a almost tangy bitterness on the back of my palette. Very complex and smooth in transitioning its flavors. I find it a bit hard to explain in a good way.

M- not very heavy on the palette, light in its carbonation, alternated to being almost creamy and then gave a dry finish. This probably was a big aid in its "evolution" in its flavor.

D- Drank this twice- once at about 2 weeks old, another time at 6 weeks. The older was very slightly more mellow...a bit less "green" in the front end , but not by much- still a bitter beast.

The drinkability for me is exceptional.I get why it has such a reputation- I seriously love this and I came into opening one and thinking I will appreciate it, but did not expect to love it so. I can't quite see myself drink more than one in a sitting, but it is a beer that I will be excited about and enjoy through and through. I "get" bitter now and respect how its done in The Elder.

My BF on the other hand, appreciated it, liked it, but did not love it. He feels its something that he wouldn't quite seek it out as its still a aquired taste...not quite the flavor for him when it comes to IPA/DIPA.

Still, its a favorite that definitely will be a common occurrence in my fridge, at least for me. Thank my lucky stars that my mom lives in California. Don't tell her I plan visiting her when the beer is low...Ssshhhh!

Provocajade, Apr 19, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +6.5%

On tap at Beachwood BBQ in Seal Beach, CA.

A - Arrived a slightly cloudy pale orange color with a 1/2 inch head. The lacing is amazing.

S - Smells of delicious flowers and citrus hops. There is also a nice tart fruit smell.

T - Absolutely delicious citrus hops with little bitterness. There is also a subdued fruit essence taste present.

M - Carbonation was somewhat flat but the beer was very smooth and fresh.

D - This is a very, very good beer. I know this is a different style of IPA but I enjoyed this beer much more than Blind Pig. This was a very good companion to my BBQ feast.

I definitely will be going after more of this brew. One of the most aesthetically pleasing beers I have ever had. The lacing was absolutely the best I have ever seen. There were rings from top to bottom that showed my progress. Sweet.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 18, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +6%

Thanks a million to Loki83 for this one!!!

500ML bottle into a DFH tulip glass. Bottle date is 03/22/10. Pretty fresh!

A- Pours a hazy almost cloudy dark golden yellow with a bright white 1 finger head on top. Big bubbles leave decent lacing on the way down.

S- Piney citrus hops obliterate your nose up front with a faint malt background and a slight tropical fruitiness.

T- Strong hops hit you up front with a sweet solid malt background as a base. This brew is balanced pretty perfectly. You get a serious dominant hop bitterness with a great tropical finish that lasts in the aftertaste.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation and man is this a bitter bomb. Leaves you dry and wanting more.

Great freaking IPA, finally understand all the hype over this beer. Probably the hopiest beer I've had that wasn't drowned out by other flavors or alcohol. True hop heads dream.

SkÅL!

Arenbeer, Apr 18, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured into a tulip. Pours a hazy golden color maybe a touch lighter.Tremendous thick white heading. That leaves nice lacing all around the glass.A little heavy looking.

Smell was extremely bitter as soon as the cap was popped. A very distinct hoppy aroma,equivalent to someone just picking the hops from the vine and stuffing them into the bottle.

Taste starts out with a punch of malt to the chops. Immediately replaced by what it makes you think of a sprinkle dusting of hops. A bit of biscuit and sweet malts try to overthrow the hoppiness but is immediately torn down by a spicey stab to the tongue of bitterness.

Mouth is lighter in bodied, absolutely amazing thay it is 8% ABV and so very light and crisp in the mouth.

Drink is absolutely amazing. I've had alot of IIPA's lately and I've been comparing them to this and the Younger and after all the the great reviews of other IIPA's there simply is only one great IIPA and this is it.

TheFightfan1, Apr 17, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

500ml bottle into Duvel tulip. Bottled on 3/26/10, so only 20 days old. Big thanks to BA mob2332 for giving this to me!

Appearance: Moderate pour yields a big, 1.5 inch, fluffy, just offwhite head that dissipates steadily leaving spots of lacing. Pours a hazy, light golden amber. Leaves spots and streaks of lacing all around the glass.

Smell: From the bottle there's dank, piny hops. In the glass, the same dank note along with even bigger citrus (grapefruit), floral, grassy hops. There's a lot of sweetness in the smell; lots of tropical fruit, almost melon-y. Smells amazing.

Taste: First sip: a big hit of hop bitterness, characterized by pine and grapefruit, with a dry finish. Not much malt backbone, but huge, resinous hops flavor. Nowhere near as sweet as the aroma suggests. The aftertaste is great; it has more hops complexity than the whole experience of most other IPAs. Halfway through some biscuity malt emerges, but the constant barrage of various delicious hops flavors remains the star. Alcohol is completely hidden.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied, alternately creamy and juicy, with a dry finish. Just the right amount of carbonation. The beer fills the mouth, with the mild carbonation, large bitterness, somewhat hefty body, and dry finish all contributing to make the experience huge. I'm noticing more and more that the mouthfeel can really make or break a beer for me, and PtE's is the perfect vehicle for its big hop flavor.

Drinkability: This would *easily* become my go-to (D)IPA if Russian River distributed where I live.

I've started to get mildly self-conscious about the high scores I give beers I like, so I didn't want to throw out all these 5s... but really, the smell, taste, and feel of this beer are just flawless. And ease of consumption? I could easily keep this on hand at all times and make sure to drink all of it fresh.

PtE isn't regarded so highly because it's so difficult to get outside of the west coast. It really is a perfect DIPA.

Pahn, Apr 16, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

Well, here it is. My first Pliny the Elder, at 7 a.m., after work. Bottle date is 3-26-10, 20 days old. Pours a bright, fuzzy orange with great rocky, fluffy white head. Looks just like the Blind Pig from yesterday, although the head on Pliny retains better and leaves some more lacing. Very little sediment. Smell is lots of pine and earthy notes. Citrus hides in the background. Taste is the same, pine and earth and lots of it. Dry hops. A bit of a biscuity feel, I don't really pick up any fruit flavors at the start but towards the middle I start to pick up citrus, grapefruit, and lemon. Nice hop burps. The balance here is seriously excellent though, and the mouthfeel is probably the best I have encountered in an IPA, period. Truly a creamy elixir, perfect carbonation. Alcohol taste is nowhere to be found, I would never guess this is 8%. Drinkability is also pretty great because of this. Truthfully I am a little let down, the taste isn't quite what I expected, I actually preferred Blind Pig to this for sure. But the mouthfeel, overall balance of malt+hops, drinkability, and the masking of alcohol are huge highlights, and it succeeds maybe better than any other DIPA I've had in all those categories.

Chico1985, Apr 15, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -9.2%

500ml bottle poured into my Southern Tier tulip...

The classy, simple bottle sitting next to this tulip filled with a hazy golden orange ale is a truly nice sight. 3 fingers of soft white, meringue-like head forms a perfect cap to a great looking beer. The head sticks around for a long time and leaves good lacing down the glass...

Beautiful aromatic hops in the nose. Piny and earthy, resinous. With a couple more whiffs I start to notice a plethora of citrus fruit hop aromas, grapefruit really sticks out...

Sweet, but dry and bitter at the same time. Earthy, pine, dry hop tastes and feel. This gives way to some undertones of tropical fruits, not as citric on the tongue as it was on the nose. This beer leans more towards to floral, piny dry hops with a bit of an oily, resinous flavor...

Medium bodied, somewhat chewy, oily and sticky. Carbonation is there but doesn't really dance on your tongue, somewhat slick, maybe a bit too slick, but still a substantial, pleasant mouthfeel...

Very happy with this beer. Was hoping for a little more sweetness in the taste (I really like Hopslam, OK?!) but definitely enjoyed the West Coast dry, piny style...I still think Hopslam is better though ;)

hawks10, Apr 15, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +6.9%

Naja's in the Redondo Beach, CA, marina. Superb beer and decent context. Pliny the Elder was recommended by their most experienced tender as the best double IPA on tap save Pliny the Younger when it is available. After 40 years of tasting ales internationally, this ranks as my all-time favorite.

DrZot, Apr 14, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +3.9%

On Tap. Fathers Office.

Hazy orange in color. Great white head. Looks great but unassuming.

Smell... and thats where it happens. You know this beer has hops. Tons of grapefruit, citrus, pine, weed.

The taste mimics the nose with th grapefruit and citrus with a piney finish. Definitely has a hop bitterness on the swallow. However, the first thing you taste is the sweetness that the hops seem to take a ride on. One of the most balanced dipas you can ever have.

Great beer. Drink it often if you can.

spoons, Apr 13, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +0.6%

In a DFH snifter, bottled just over a week ago.

A- Light honey color. Pours about an inch of great looking head. Fairly fine bubbles.
S- A lot of Resin with some sweetness. A little bit of citrus.
T- Nice. A pleasant bitterness on the finish, certainly not overly bitter. This pleasant bitterness sticks around for ages. My mouth is now watering.
M- Feels light bodied and airy . This and blind pig are the only beers where I have actually felt that enamel assaulting feeling on my teeth. I love it.
D- Extremely easy to drink. I could go through week old bottle after bottle after bottle after bottle ...

Want to rate it all fives but, could it get better? I can only imagine.

bpfishback, Apr 13, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What is there really to say...
It ranks up there with the best of the best and with almost 1,400 reviews it can't just be "follow the leader." The pour, taste, smell, feel, and look of this brew is just flat out gorgeous. It has all of the things I love about Double IPA's and none of the things I dislike. Enough alcohol to just barely taste and not over hopped like many DIPA's. Basically, this beer lives up to all the hype.

SDHoffers, Apr 12, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -3.9%

Thanks again B Rob. The distinction between Pliny and all other DIPA's is that people who generally don't care for the hop bitterness will still love this beer. It has all of the taste nuances of an ipa without that bitter bite at the end that tends to push away some people from this style. Its like Jay-Z but not "Reasonable Doubt", more like "H to the Izzo." At the end of the day, its awesome, but inviting enough for everyone. Also, the label is one of the better beer labels around.

antoines15, Apr 11, 2010