Join our email list →

Russian River Brewing Company
California, United States | website

American Double / Imperial IPA | 8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 08-24-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Pliny The Elder Alström Bros
Reviews: 3,510 | Hads: 13,378
4.57/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

L: Pours an absolutely beautiful golden-copper with superb clarity, an abundant white head with good retention and lacing.

S: Grapefruit and some pine, with a bit of delicate malt behind it. Good, but the aroma could come on a bit stronger in my opinion.

T: Resinous bitter citrus rind flavors up front, showing signs of classic puckering US C-variety hops. As with the nose, it displays some delicate pilsner-like malt that adds a bit of bready caramel, particularly towards the back-end, bringing this beer into the realm of the DIPA. Long bitter resinous finish balanced by that dense bready malt. An excellent classic IPA flavor profile the leans towards drinkability. I could – though definitely shouldn’t – drink this all day.

F: Medium body with smooth retrained carbonation and a slick, silky mouthfeel. Just a hint of ethanol presence.

Overall: The OG of whalez, it’s hard to overstate the status this beer has held within and without the craft beer community. Is it the be-all-end-all of DIPAs? Of course not – no beer is or ever should be. But it’s an excellent one and it is easy to see why it garnered the acclaim that it has within its historical context.
(Dope name too; I feel like pulling a random historical figure to name your beer after was pretty before its time when this first came out.)

4.58/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle from 12/9. Pours crystal clear gold with lingering white head. Smell is amazing: citrus, pine, dank, slight malt. Taste is crisp and clean but not as solid as the nose. Mouth is is great, slightly sticky yet light.

An absolutely stellar IPA and steal for the money.

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I've heard a lot about this one and finally got the chance to try it on tap. Pours an unassuming yellow-orange with an inch of frothy white head. The nose is certainly stellar. Very tropical and citric. I get orange, grapefruit, pear, papaya, sharp floral hops. Quite impressive. I prefer dark Belgian beers to IPAs if I'm looking for a bigger, high ABV brew, but this is a masterful use of 8% ABV and 80 IBU. Creamy mouthfeel, bitter but clean on the finish. Maybe not a 10/10 beer given my tastes but certainly a 10/10 DIPA.

Had the good fortune to be close enough on a work trip to swing by the brewery. Definitely lived up to the hype and after a short wait in line we were seated at the bar. Enjoyed several brews, all of which were fantastic and the food was excellent as well. Service was fast and friendly and the purchase of bottles on the way out was hassle free.

4.97/5  rDev +8%

One of the best smelling and tasting beers out there (when on draft). Usually not a fan of the bottles, draft blows it out of the water. I feel bad for people across the country that can't experience this beer on draft, its a totally different beast.

Oily hops coat your mouth as you sip, leaving you wanting more!

4.38/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pale, almost blond look, with a thin layer of head which dissipates quickly. The smell is clean and pleasant, but not overwhelming. The aroma is hops and citrus. The taste is quite good, but very mild, citrus & pine flavors. I expected a bolder taste. It's well balanced, but very mild. Very smooth, and easy to drink, but for all the hype, I expected a bit more.

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

Popped the cap on a 510ml bottle and you immediately smell the hops.

Poured into a Spieglau IPA glass.

Look is a clear golden amber with a thin half inch head. Carbonation is clearly visible forming on the nucleation points at the bottom of the glass forming a pillar of bubbles up to the head.

Aroma is a mix of citrus and resin hops. Absolutely delicious makes you want to drink it right away.

So I did and was not disappointed. Body is balanced. Nice malty backbone with lots of bitter piney hops and notes of citrus.

Absolutely amazing beer.

4.95/5  rDev +7.6%

Certainly my favorite double, I consider myself quite lucky to have it consistently at liquor stores and sometimes bars within walking distance of my house. As soon as it pours, you are almost overwhelmed by its strong and brilliant scent. It is a perfectly balanced IIPA, absolutely incredible. No doubt world class.

3.62/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This beer was surprisingly bland! I had been waiting for over a year to find it. I finally found it on tap at Obrians in San Diego when I was home for the holidays. A surprisingly bland IPA. Very average. Not bad, but ridiculously overhyped.

4.89/5  rDev +6.3%

I had the good fortune of traveling to the PNW and then on down to Santa Rosa to get my hands on both draft and bottled Pliny. As many say the nose was the best part of this beer...until I tasted it. I got a lot of the citrus nose in the taste as well, balanced with the hoppy 'bitterness' too.

The importance of freshness is key as I notice a slight difference when I opened one last night (25 days after the bottle date). It's still a GREAT IPA and I'm sure would hold its ground against many others but the freshness is not to be taken lightly.

Pliny on draft was the mecca for me. Well done!

4.22/5  rDev -8.3%

Proud Pliny first-timer. The second I broke the airtight seal on the cap, before I even removed it, with my nose at least 3 feet up from the bottle, my eyes widened in awe with the immediate understanding of what everyone has talked about for so long. The fact that the scent could hit my nose that quickly, strongly, and pleasantly was truly impressive.

The nose on this is definitely the best part of the Pliny experience, for me. Very tropical, exotic, transporting to some other heavenly world without being fruit juicy or indicative of any of the upcoming bitterness. I'm not sure I've smelled anything quite like this from a beer that wasn't intentionally infused with an overpowering fruit or other ingredient.

That being said, the taste of this doesn't quite live up to the preview that the aroma gives. While it is a pretty delicious brew compared to most IPAs, the light tropical scent gives way to a typically hoppy-bitter IPA. While still citrusy, it's a flavor profile that a number of breweries have been consistently providing for years. I would throw out Gangster Frog, Jai Alai, or even 60 Minute IPA in a blind taste test and bet it would be very difficult to identify Pliny based solely the flavor.

I received the bottle later than I would have liked--it was around 20 days old, but still quite fresh. However, I'm sure that affected the flavor. Still, this was definitely worth the trouble getting, and I would love to visit Russian River in person someday.

4.02/5  rDev -12.6%

From the bottle.
Smell was a solid IPA that exploded with fresh hopes. A little disappointed in the taste didn't live up to the hype. Good overall but would be better fresh from the source.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

On draft at Monk's Cafe

Smell: Holy wow! Tons and tons of hops! Citrus-y, slightly earthy, very resinous hops. The malt is hardly detectable in the nose. They could make an air freshener out of this beer!

Taste: This beer tastes like straight up tropical juice in a glass. Super bright flavor profile. The hops are certainly resinous and juicy but not in the least bit bitter! The flavor is just incredible!

Feel: Drinks as smooth as silk. Almost has a creamy characteristic to it. I could drink this all day.

Overall: This beer certainly lives up to the hype and maybe even exceeds it! I would prefer this to Stone Enjoy By, Heady Topper, or even Sip of Sunshine; it's that good! I will drink this beer whenever I see it on tap.

3.99/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottled 10/26/2015. I was hoping to bring this one to a bottle-share, but it's already over a month old now that I finally have it in my hands. What can I say? I was out of town for Thanksgiving, and it takes a while to smuggle this stuff all the way from California to Alabama.
Look: Great head and retention. A full two inches of foam. The beer itself is a nice, bright, clear yellow.
Smells sweet and hoppy.
The taste is smooth and a little piney. I can taste the hops but without the overwhelmingly bitterness that turns me off from so many lesser IPAs.
Mouthfeel is a bit light but not over-carbonated.
Overall: a smooth and creamy IPA.

4.08/5  rDev -11.3%

Great example of classic West Coast IPA. However this isn't the best IPA out any longer nor is it IMO the top 5 IPAs. For me an IPA needs to be unfiltered it gives that great mouthfeel, head, and sweet/ bitter love an IPA needs. Also the smell on this is nothing fantastic, specially when u compare it to the great smellers like heady, resin, and space dust.

That all being said I love this beer and will continue to pay double the price to smuggle it back to Alaska so I can enjoy it over the holidays every year.

4.14/5  rDev -10%

Bottled 111015 at 42 degrees into snifter
Aroma of citrus fruit, generic and strong, lasts entire beer but weakens
Head average (Four cm, aggressive pour), off white, frothy, diminishing to irregular two to ten mm creamy ring and partial frothy layer
Lacing excellent – nearly complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium yellow, hazy
Flavor begins with some citrus acidity and rind bitterness as well as some generic citrus flavor, ends with a light bitter chalkiness
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 4.25, Aroma 4.5, Flavor 4, Palate 4, Overall 4. IMHO, this DIPA is generally over rated; it is good, but is not something I will seek out again, unless I happen to be in Santa Rosa, CA.

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

L - hazy straw color, clingy white head

S - citrus, diacetyls, grapefruit

T - follows the nose, sweetish hop flavor. There is a little bit of bitterness/tartness, after-taste is lemon iced tea.

F - effervescent, medium body, lighter than expected

O - hop party on the palate, delicious, very forward brew which lives up to its legacy as one of the ultimate representatives of the style.

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Be aware my rating comes as someone who hates IPAs.

I always heard of this as being the best IPA and got my hands on a 17.25 oz bottle. It lives up to the hype.

While the bitterness and dryness of it being an IPA makes the taste less appealing to me, the carbonation is perfect, the smell is pleasant and the beer looks beautiful. Won't make me an IPA drinking, but its an impressive brew.

Worth a try even if you aren't into IPAs, I can believe it being a must have if you are a fan of the style.

4.62/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had many times...in bottle and on tap. Lots of great memories with this beer....in bottles with brother at GGF in Berkeley ...3000 miles removed with brother on-tap in Philly....RR in Santa Rosa...bottled 2 days old before buying on my B-Day.

I dunno...this beer has a lot of hype around it. Its really good (don't get me wrong) but not something I would try too hard to get. If you can taste it...great! If you can trade for it...nice! It is really good....but it isn't my end-all-be-all IPA.

Fresh is best!

I chose 2 pints of Row 2 Hill 56 Pale over this at RR on my B-day....

4.71/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to @PatrickCT for this one. It's been a minute since I've danced with PtE; quite frankly, I missed her. Intense aroma in the nose. Honey layered malt bill is prominent. Grapefruit rind, and a bit of citrus, too. New car scent pine aroma lingers. Smoked barley on the tongue, amazingly. Ripe tobacco leaf, a tinge of spearmint and over ripened grapefruit. Creamy on the front end, semi-dry on the finish. Perfectly balanced. Pronounced head that lingers like the ex-girlfriend who won't move on. Beautiful. This is a master class in brewing. Cheers, Vinnie.

4.31/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

There are better reviews, so I'll keep it short. Had this out of a fresh bottle, alongside about 6 other 97+ rated ipas and dipas. This was not my favorite. I would have liked to have seen more cloudiness in the appearance, but the head was nice and lingered. Smell fresh hops with some pine tint to it. Honestly, less of a bomb than some of the competition. It'd be a treat to drink this regularly, but on this occasion I preferred green street, all green everything, and mosaic (ya I know, different styles).

4.69/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Got this from a friend who went to the brewery while on vacation. Wow, so, so smooth. 8% but barely a trace of alcohol on the nose or palate. hoppy but doesn’t carry the overwhelming bitterness that is expected with a 100 IBU beer. balanced and smooth. Worth the hype & wait. Cheers

4.44/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got my hands on this thanks to a friend who brought it back from San Diego. Bottled on 9/30. Good looking beer with nice somewhat subtle aroma. Great balance of bitter and sweet taste that lingers. Medium very enjoyable mouth feel. Probably impossible to live up to the hype, but this is obviously a fantastic beer.

I thought about this all night. I know I'm crazy. This beer reminds me so much of a higher quality Lagunitas Sucks. Anyone else get this? It's better but all I could think was Sucks

4.43/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle sent. Thanks Kate.
This was poured into a snifter.
The appearance was a hazy bronzed golden orange to amber color with a beautiful one finger white foamy lacing running around the glass.
The smell started off with a sly bittersweet luscious pine rolling into a citrus rind-like and pulp-like hoppiness. An ever so slight grassiness wants to balance.
The taste was moderately bittersweet take the citrus and the pine to hit each other like two freight trains colliding. I'm getting it all at once. There's the burst of the sweet and the burst of the bitter. Its all there.
The mouthfeel was about medium bodied with a sly sessionability about it. Carbonation seemed to feel exactly right for a DIPA. There's enough bitterness as a DIPA and enough sweetness to cling to my tongue extremely nicely.
Overall, wow, just wow, just what an absolutely awesome DIPA coming in from California for an exceptionally nice trade. I know I would definitely have again.

4.29/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Maybe if I had this a few years ago it would have left more of an impression. There are just so many amazing IPAs out there now it's hard to say this was the best I've had. Definitely delicious and at the top of its game, wouldn't hesitate to order it again.

Pliny The Elder from Russian River Brewing Company