Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Wants: 1,497
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

I have to thank Jeff Bull for this beer. He actually sent us the final three Russian River beers on our list. We sort of lucked into the other one, finding the Pliny the Elder at a small bottle shop when we were in San Diego for Thanksgiving. I wasn't impressed with that, for an IPA, and sat down with a bottle of Blind Pig last night. Also, thanks to Jeff. It was a good trade, and I am excited to drink all of these "-ation" beers. Oh, and speaking of the Blind Pig… cool story behind the name/meaning. The beer smells WAY better than it tastes, but is still better than Pliny in my opinion.

Today we are drinking the Temptation, our first in this line of beers. I was excited until I read, "Brettanomyces". I HATE that yeast strain. I mean, HATE with a passion. Every beer I have had that uses that wild yeast has tastes the same. But, words like, "pineapple", and, "citrus" are helping me stay positive about this bottle. If nothing else, it's a beer from a good brewing company with a lot of history. Time to drink. Cheers!

In the Glass: If I didn't know any better, I would think this was a wheat beer. An unfiltered wheat beer, but a wheat beer nonetheless. It pours a thin pale yellow in the glass, and has a nice white head on top. The head is more impressive than I originally would have guessed. I will say, as I was pouring this, I thought I could smell some nice wine notes… but I don't want to get excited, as I am sure the yeast will overpower and spoil this beer for me.

Nose: Whoa, did NOT expect that. It smells like a sour. I mean, more sour than a typical sour. I am getting, toward the finish, some drying notes that are coming from the barrel that this beer was aged in. Considering the cost and the story behind this entire series, I am stoked to see what this tastes like. Man… what a great aroma. The bros on BeerAdvocate rates this beer 100… and that has got to be rare from them. They don't ever give a beer that high of a rating.

Flavor: Oh. My. Goodness. That is SO sour. I mean, lip sucking face sucking sour. I did NOT see that coming at all. But I am glad that it did, as I am a big fan of that style. Considering I hate the Brettanomyces yeast strain, I expected this to be pale in comparison. I am not getting much of the wine flavors that I expected to find, but I am sure they are hidden behind the sheer sourness this bottle is presenting. I wasn't a big fan of Russian River until this beer… and that sip has me wanting to take a trip to California!

Mouthfeel: There are a few bubbles dancing across my tongue as I swallow, but not too many. It's not enough to really notice because of how simply sour this beer is. I am curious to see what Sheryl thinks… I am not sure she likes that style. I hope, because this is amazing! As you finish, a drying flavor would be nice, and the sour flavors are quickly gone… but the mouthfeel is, quite honestly, pretty boring. I am focused on the flavor.

Aftertaste: The sour sticks around for a few minutes, but not as long as I would like. That might actually be a typical experience with sour beers… I haven't had a sour beer that the aftertaste has lasted more than a few second. People are always asking me, "What is your favorite sour beer?" That is tough for me, because there aren't a lot of these out there and the style is not popular among domestic brewing companies. But if I had to pick, from this moment forward, I will be picking this one!

Why can't Russian River ship their beers to me? I want more of this! We have two more bottles from the "-ation" series in the fridge. Can't wait to see what those taste like. I now see why the bros rated this so high. Bravo, Russian River. Cheers!

04-18-2013 21:30:48 | More by rickyleepotts

07-10-2014 17:28:25 | More by MikeAndrews
dgilks

Australia

4.59/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy golden colour with a nice, creamy, off-white head.

Rich and rounded aroma. Quite tart with some goaty barnyard notes and then fruitiness. Quite a bit of oak. Vanilla and buttery oak. Interesting and very nice.

The palate deliversa moderate tartness backed up with the woodiness of the aroma. Fruit follows to cleanse and add complexity. Not as earthy as the aroma. Still very good.

Medium body with moderate carbonation and some tannin. Good.

A really excellent beer. Not as great as I remember it being last time I had it but still very enjoyable.

07-10-2014 07:24:57 | More by dgilks

joegard

07-03-2014 17:21:22 | More by joegard
BWED

4.53/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Chalice pour at Via Marconi's, Hatfield, PA.

A- Light gold in color. Off white head stays thin, but sticks around for the entirety of the drink.

S- Tang in the nose. Citrus and some apple. Not overly sweet.

T- Tangy again, like the nose. Apples and citrus is what I pick up. Just a faint toasted malt.

M- Light, tangy, and a dry finish. Much less sweet than the other sours I've had from RR. (Consecration, Supplication)

O- Spectacular. I really love the tang and dryness this one brings, and the flavor profile is great.

07-02-2014 17:59:25 | More by BWED