2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Temptation - Russian River Brewing Company

TemptationTemptation

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.50% ABV

A blonde ale fermented with a special strain of yeast, then aged in French oak chardonnay barrels. Flavors of wine and oak absorb into the brew throughout twelve months of aging. During this aging process, a secondary fermentation occurs using a yeast strain disliked by most brewers and winemakers called Brettanomyces.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Temptation Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,463 | Reviews: 941 | Show All Ratings:
Jmoore50

Nevada

This is not a bad beer.

The appearance is golden. Golden nectar with a sexy head. The head has great sticky bubbles that leave a thick layer of lacing all down the sides of this glass. The color is so interesting because it has a sun gold color, but cannot be seen through. Just faint shadows can be seen meaning the haze is thick. Not very watered down either, a great body.

The smell is amazing. When I popped the bottle the cork flew across the room and bubbles came pouring out. Then, the whole room smelt like a sour champagne. Chardonnay can be smelt as well as oak. I have never really pinned down the distinctive smell of oak until right now. Amazing. Lemon grass as well.

The taste is mind boggling. This might be the gateway for me into sours. I have tried and liked Wild Ales and Sours before but this is on a league of its own. Tastes like a lemon champagne. Then mixed with a heavy blonde ale. The alcoholic taste that comes with a good white wine is present. Sour and a bit tart. The sourness is not overwhelming, it is just right. It is also not the first flavor, it hit me most towards the end.

The mouthfeel is great, just superb. So smooth and crisp. It just foams up in your mouth like champagne, perfect body as well. Not watery at all, just perfect. The lemon and citrus flavors just grab your taste buds. My mouth never stopped watering. Great oily finish, kills everything in your mouth. Nothing tastes the same afterwards.

The drinkability is sad. Why sad? It is sad because I only have one bottle of it and I am drinking it right now. I am going to trade for this. I need more. With some Wilds that I have had, they are great for a good long discussion with someone. You can sip on them and enjoy them over a period of time. This beer I cannot keep away from my mouth. Once I swallowed the first sip of Temptation I could not keep it away from my lips. Amazing. I was actually going into this beer thinking that it was just going to be mediocre. A blonde ale aged in oak? I hate blonde ales, and although Consecration was great, it was not like this. This is a whole new playing field.

Bravo.

J

EDIT: It is almost a week later and I have not stopped thinking about this beer. This is the first beer I am going to give a full 5 rating to. This beer to me is absolute perfection. There is nothing that I would change to it, there is nothing that is wrong with it. Everything about it makes me extremely happy. So I am changing the 4.5 in appearance to a 5. The solid golden color was amazing and the lacing around the glass was superb. Cannot get this beer out of my mind.

10-03-2009 02:42:21 | More by Jmoore50
DaveFL1976

This is why I have a chip on my shoulder about Russian River's Beers: They're so f'ing perfect!

I try to be a critic and find faults, but what faults are there here? It's a bit pricey? That's the only possibility I can think of. It's beautiful to look at. There's as much head stuck to the side of my Duvel tulip as there is beer left in the glass. It smells fantastic. Taste is heavenly. It's got all the funky smell of an Oud Beersel Gueuze with more kick in the palate. Mouthfeel could not be better. Holy crap, I'm going to give this a five across the board.

Rock on, guys. You know your stuff.

But you're making everyone else look bad by your awesomeness. Try not to become another New York Yankees, ya know?

10-07-2009 00:36:40 | More by DaveFL1976
Plinythechugger

Washington

This was without a doubt the best beer I have ever tasted!

A - A beautiful inch and a half thick head that lead to some serious lacing on the tulip glass. The color was golden - what I would imagine an angel looks like!

S - Sour, very sour! Brett is there - but not overpowering. I just want to take a bath in it, it is so inviting.

T - Temptation is so unique and so well crafted. It tastes like Sour Patch Kids and the sourness tingles my lips - amazing!

M - Perfect!

D - Very, very, very drinkable! At 7.75% abv it goes down smooth. Do whatever it takes to drink this beer - classic!

01-11-2010 16:33:01 | More by Plinythechugger
Swallows2much

Appearance- golden color

Smell- kind of a sour smell, no too strong though

Taste- oak, citrus, kind of a sour flavor but not too strong

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was pretty good. F'ing awesome sour. Holey shit balls I could drink this all day.

03-20-2010 05:06:27 | More by Swallows2much
joefuzz

750ml Batch 004

A- Opens with a super loud pop( i was half expecting this beer to be all over my living room table). Pours a hazy gold with a large thick white head.

S- Strong lemon smells come to mind with a good amount of barnyard funk, almost smells like grass.

T- Not as sour as i was expecting but thats not a bad thing. This beer tastes amazing. White grapes and sour apples come to mind but as it sits and warms the sourness dies down and more of the funky taste comes in.

M- Lots of carbonation with a nice light feeling. A little thicker than champagne .

D- Dangerously drinkable i could really drink this in session if it were readily available.

My second offering from Russian River and it was just as amazing as the first. I cant remember who i traded for this but if your out there, THANK YOU.

10-04-2010 03:32:31 | More by joefuzz
GabrielM

New Mexico

There's not much I can say about this beer that hasn't been said already, so I'll just give the short and sweet. It looks, smells and tastes absolutely incredible. The mouthfeel is second to none and I could seriously drink this forever.

Outstanding beer.

01-27-2011 23:45:36 | More by GabrielM
roadhouse

Batch 004x1, 750ml bottle split between a snifter and Duvel glass. Poured the last couple ounces and dregs in to my wild ale :)

The appearance is flawless. It's a crystal clear golden hue in both glasses with a massive fluffy white head and giant sheets of lace sticking to the glass already. Tons of tiny carbonation bubbles floating to the top. The head is like a cloud, huge and puffy with it's own shapes.

The aroma is top notch as well. I am picking up white grapes, lactic acidity, Brettanomyces, and a bit of oak. Some light fruity notes of lemon and pear. A distant graininess mostly covered up by the wild complexity. The chardonnay definitely comes through a bit in the smell too.

The taste is just as splendid. It starts out with a perfect light sour/sweet note at the beginning upon sipping and at the beginning of the swallow it gets the most sour with a strong lactic and lemon bite which is followed up by a perfect note of fruit that almost lends a sweetness while the tartness lingers, making for a most interesting combination.

Mouthfeel is very light, yet the carbonation makes it super creamy and soft in the mouth in contrast to the sharpness of the acidity.

Wow - I did not expect this to actually be a 5 beer going into it - but it just has to be. As far as pale wild ales go, this stuff is better than many of the true lambics of Belgium. It's right up there with Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, etc. but I think there is even slightly more complexity to it. This one has had some extra time to age and it has done wonders. I need more!

04-21-2011 00:28:02 | More by roadhouse
amcmaho1

New Mexico

I know, another super-superlative (oxymoron?) review...
Batch 5 poured into tulip glass
Thanks again JCDenver!

Appearance: Very nice honey-golden color, slightly cloudy though basically translucent. Sports a short lived fluffy white head, which quickly dissipates and clings in strange little patterns. Beautiful beer...

Smell: Definite funk, slight green apple, very faint "bandaid." There's a slight bit of mustiness which likely came from the barrel. This is obviously a very "natural" smelling beer. The initial sourness on the nose seems subdued, though is there regardless.

Taste: Initial pucker, leading into a fruity and earthy bitterness. I taste some apple and pear notes, along with some vinegar-like astringency, along with some more musty/earthy wood attributes. Incredibly complex beer here!!

Mouthfeel: Certainly mouth-watering, as well as drying; which while seeming paradoxical, is quite enjoyable. Everything about this beer exudes approachability...and re-approachability

Overall: A sentimental beer for me, for I was introduced to it as one of my first sours. It's not overly sour, nor overly funky, and still not overly tame. It is a well executed and exceptionally balanced barrel aged sour, and one which I hope to have again very soon...

05-14-2011 04:18:23 | More by amcmaho1
mystikyle71

Indiana

This beer is one of three (Brugge Bad Kitty and BFM Bon-Chien) that set the standard for me when it comes to what I want in a sour, so i figured I should review it. I've been fortunate to have this beer about 6-7 times and am sent into a euphoric state everytime. I'm hardly alone here considering its score and the fact that everyone I share this holy liquid with bows down as well.

A: Pale lemony yellow color like that of Chardonnay (imagine that!). Minimal head.

S: I want to implant this beautifully bretty, fruity, oaky aroma in my nose. If everything in the world smelled like this everything in the world would be better for it.

T: Tart and fruity and just a tiny dollop of vanilla and spice. Balance is a beautiful thing. Fresh crisp apples with a touch of lemon citrus.

M: It cleans up so well. Tart with a dry effervescence. At this point you will likely be chugging straight from the bottle like a heathen. Lapping up every drip of this wonderful elixir.

O: I like this beer, a lot.

I have two bottles left... will they make it through the night?

11-16-2011 01:23:59 | More by mystikyle71
vinny21bal

Perfect beer. Not a flaw to it. Citrus, funk, lower alcohol. You get the taste of the barrel as well as the fruit. Perfect sourness. Not to strong like the Bruery and not to light like Allagash. I really think this is one of the best beers around. I think of a better beer. I have tried all of the other Russian Rivers and this one seems to be my favorite.

05-09-2013 18:44:07 | More by vinny21bal
SHODriver

bottle dated 7/27/12
A: poured into a Russian River 'tion' glass to a clear yellow with a small and dense white head that fades to a small pool in the middle and a large collar around the edge of the glass
S: smells of oak, funk and sourness. definitely some bretty goodness on the nose with this one
T: big sourness up front with some nice fruity notes, a bit of oak, slight funk and barnyardy flavor with some more oak. swallow is a nice sour fruitiness that slowly fades with a bit more oak
M: medium in the mouth with soft and ample carb that is just slightly prickly and is quite dry on the finish
O: absolutely phenomenal beer. Words can't express how perfect it is for an American Wild Ale. It's honestly a benchmark beer for a sour blonde

06-01-2013 03:24:55 | More by SHODriver
elNopalero

Temptation Batch 8

From the bottle.

This pours looking like a Belgian wit—it’s a cloudy hazy white-golden in color with great foaming. The aroma has this wonderful, big tartness that dominates. I get some sour cherries coming across and an intense acidity. The flavor fills the mouth with that same tartness before finishing dry and sparkly. Yes, this sparkles on the palate. There, I said it. Wow. Yum. More, please.

Review 900!

07-22-2013 07:46:01 | More by elNopalero
thecommonman

District of Columbia

A - A bright, golden orange. Nicely carbonated, very clean. Slight lacing along the glass, minimal head that stays.

S - Almost like Champagne, with a nice citrus and tropical aroma. This aroma is quite bright. Not much of a malt smell, but not necessary.

T - That oaky, barrel flavor hits first; it's a nice sweetness of slight vanilla. Then the citrus-orange-tropical flavor strikes the middle of your tongue and joins the oak. I get a slight sour grape/mild green apple there, too, as you go to the finish. The finale is nice and dry. You definitely get a tiny bit of bitterness from the hops, too, which is a surprise.

M - Medium, fizzy mouthfeel. Nothing too strong, though. Light bubbles, again, like champagne. Smooth and bubbly at once.

O - Probably the best-balanced, wild/sour ale I've ever had. It has a wine-ness that's pleasant at first, then a great, light-citrusy beer finishes you off with a fizz. It's very fresh tartness is balanced very well, and the whole beer in the glass is a top-notch experience from pouring to tasting.

01-31-2014 00:21:35 | More by thecommonman
frazbri

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Russian River's Temptation poured straw golden and slightly cloudy and visibly carbonated in my globe glass. The frothy white head stood tall in the glass. Lacing remained in the glass as the beer was drained. Much of the aroma had fruit notes like pear, orange, and lemon, but there were also earthy undertones and whiff of sea air. The first taste was tangy on the tongue, but was accompanied with a mild bitterness and a hint of tannin as I continued. Temptation was light in body and highly carbonated, almost spritzy.

I must thank my brother for bringing this to me. This was my first Russian River beer, and I am impressed. I want to go to Santa Rosa and live at the brewery, if only for a day or two! Thankfully, I've still got 3 other RR beers to try. Bravo!

04-05-2006 01:19:05 | More by frazbri
laintringulis

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Pours a cloudy golden yellow with thin white head that turns into a filmy halo quickly. Moderate amounts of lacing.

Smell: Butterscotch, butter, wild yeast, and musty, oaky grapes predominate the smell. Light citrus, honey, apple, and vague spiciness present. General pleasant earthy, sour smell also. Very complex smell.

Taste: WOW. Very vinous in nature. Light caramel apple maltiness on the intial that progresses into a sweet and sour grape taste with a pleasant oaked taste. The wild yeast is definitely present but blends nicely with the overall taste. Smooth buttery taste with a light citrus hops. It really tastes as smells, but better. It is really the best of beer meets the best of chardonnay. Flavors and smell improved as it approached room temperature.

Medium bodied, very low carbonation. Excellent mouthfeel with nice transitions. Moderately slick and smooth on the initial becoming dryer then a brief fruity sweetness and great dry white wine finish. Alcohol presence is well balanced.

I could easily drink several glasses of this. Easy to drink. Sessionable, but I would want to drink it slowly to savour it. I'll take more of this anyday!

11-07-2006 07:57:00 | More by laintringulis
brentk56

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with a huge head; the retention was very good and the beer left clumps of lace along the sides of the chalice

Smell: Except for the sour Brett tones, you would swear you were smelling an oaky chardonnay, with vanilla and white wine grapes influencing the tart green apple, apricot and sour cherry tones

Taste: Opens with a mouthful of fruit (pear and apricot) that moves in a tart, green apple direction by mid-palate; after the swallow, the tartness mellows and the more subtle fruit character (pear, melon, apricot) and oaky/vanilla elements represent themselves; unlike some of the other Wild Ales where the sour elements dominate, this one is much more subtle and complex

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body and quite creamy; medium to high carbonation

Drinkability: Another stunning achievement from Russian River; more subtle than some of the others and, in many ways, better, as a result

09-07-2008 17:13:54 | More by brentk56
k3n

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Side-by-side review of Batch 04 (750ml) and 03 (375ml).

A: Deep amber color, a little bit cloudy (bottle probably a bit too agitated). Minimal head and lacing. Not much difference between the two.

S: The 04 is bright and tart in the nose, up-front fruits. The 03 is a mellower aroma, but somehow richer and perhaps with a bit of honey. Chardonnay influence is easily appreciated in both bottles.

T/M/D: The 04 is lively and tart. Opens with a good hit of sourness, finishes dry and oaky. The 03 sourness is not as sharp, and is accompanied by a distinct honey sweetness. The 03 finishes similarly dry to the 04, but persists longer with Chardonnay and oak flavors lingering.

Both are supremely easy to drink, and showcase RR's excellence at blending wine flavors with fantastic beers. Definitely looking forward to aging this Batch 04, and wondering when I'll decide to open my last Batch 03.

08-01-2009 03:50:39 | More by k3n
ShogoKawada

Rhode Island

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

A big thanks goes to augustgarage for this one. I was on pins and needles waiting for the UPS man. Since then I've been eyeing this one in my fridge for a week. Part of me wanted to open it the second it arrived, the other part of me never wanted to open it. Gave in to temptation at the advice of my roommate. Thanks, buddy. Cork did NOT want to come out of this one.. took a good minute. No matter.

A- 750ml, poured carefully into wide snifter. I let the bottle breathe for 20 minutes or so, as my fridge is a tad cold. Pours a wonderful pale yellow, with a thin, thin head. Looks delightful, the coloration is superbly blonde. Beer looks pleasantly viscous, shape-shifting in the snifter.

S- Intense. Is this a wine? The chardonnay barrels come through in full force. Definite funk, a earthy woodiness, and more complex fruit than I can pick out in one sniff. Prob. one of the top 3 complex bouquets of any beer I've had.

T- For the power of the nose, this beer is remarkably subdued. Amazingly tasty, though. Tart, drying like a fine wine. A mind-bogglingly good combination of gentle sweetness, carbonation, and funk make for the holy trinity of beers. Seriously... I want a gallon of this stuff, ASAP.

I taste a tart apple, mild lemon, and a mead-like honey sweetness. There's a tonic water quality to this one, as well, which plays wonderfully off the fruit sweetness. Not to be outdone, the woody earthiness and the Brett finish leaving you scratching your head. So many flavors that just fit perfectly. I cannot fathom the trial and error that went into producing this beer, but it was so worth it. I had high hopes for this one... and they were smashed, shattered, and decimated.

Note- I thought this couldn't get any better. Second pour, I got all the yeast and whatnot. I was proven wrong... the funk is stronger, tastier, and fan-fuckin'-tastic.

M- Wonderful. Crisp, tart, sour, sweet, mildly acidic, and perfectly carbonated. This one dances across your tongue, begging for another sip. And another. And another. Before you know it, you're wondering where you can get some more. I'd drink this all day everyday if I was a millionaire. As it is, it was an amazing treat.

D- Through the roof. We'll see how I feel tomorrow (stories of gastro issues have made the rounds), but I would buy a boatload of this in an instant if I had the chance. A smile all the way down, one of the best... by far. I would give this perfect 5's... appearance just wasn't earth shattering. But where it counts? This beer excels. Trust me. The best-tasting beer I've ever had.

They often say don't believe the hype. I agree.... this one is far beyond words of praise.

A *BIG* thank you to augustgarage... You made my day, week, month, and year with this one.

10-06-2009 21:40:36 | More by ShogoKawada
Douglas14

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

Perfection has never tasted so good. And by perfection I refer to sour blondes. Then beer pours out a crystal clear straw color with a nice head that resides a little too quickly. In the nose, fruit, Chardonnay, slight oak and a perfect amount of funk from the Brett. The taste displays the same notes but the flavors are accentuated by the ultra-dry finish and slight bitterness. The refreshing lactic bite but nit overpowering sourness make Temptaion unbelievably drinkable. KILLER. BEER.

09-29-2010 02:38:07 | More by Douglas14
patm1986

4.97/5  rDev +11.2%

if i were ever on death row, this just might be my beverage of choice, provided availability.
i've had this on tap at RR, but the first time i had this was at monk's RR Stuff-if-ication beer dinner 7 June 2011.
i was more excited for this course than any mainly because i was so eager to try Temptation after severely enjoying consecration and supplication in the past.
the course was a lobster stuffed ravioli with a quail egg, corn puree, and RR Temptation butter.
it was a hit. it was excellent. and we recieved 2 flute pours each of Temptation. magical.
notes from that evening...

Light-gold and very carbonated. nearly yellow actually. not much head at all--i didn't have one. poured like wine, sat like wine, swirled like wine, felt like beer.

the wine characteristics are incredible actually. pungent grape aromas. brett funk: bready, mild cheese stink, dirt and grass. baking apples and butterscotch. chardonnay aromas abound.

aaaahhh. amazing. sour apple, like a sweet tart and a jolly rancher at the same time. i don't really like white wine, especially chardonnay, but the brett funk and barrel sugars level it all out. it's sour, really tart, but it's not cutting and it doesn't burn, which is really impressive for a beer made this way.

there's a good deal of carbonation which gives this an incredible edge in a food pairing. the dish is very rich, which is a perfect combination with the sharp, bubbly Temp to clean up.

heart. this is love. this is absolutely lovely. i bet you could get any devout wine drinker to really enjoy this and any skeptic to open up a bit more. this is extremely ideal for cheese, fish, pastry, you name it.

i enjoy this beer, because it tastes good. i love this beer, because it represents the philosophy of "craft": unique, concentrated, beloved, and deliberately constructed based on the talent, ingenuity, and environment from which it was concieved.
cheers.

10-31-2011 20:06:35 | More by patm1986
korguy123

Ontario (Canada)

Bottle into tulip

A- Before I poured the entire bottle into the glass it was crystal clear golden pour. The finger width snow white head lasted momentarily before it settled to a thin white cap. Lacing is quite sticky.

S- The oak and chardonnay are very upfront, not overpowering but there and refined. Definite brett funk with the wet hay/blanket smells. There is a refreshing grape/lemon tart smell that goes hand in hand with the grass notes. The sweetness is more vanilla than anything and really ties everything together.

T- Right up front is the brett funk and oak, followed by the wine characteristics with tart grape and lemon notes. Tart cherries and cranberries before it goes full circle and we are back to the brett to give a dry funk before your mouth waters for more.

M- Thin to medium bodied with a wonderful carbonation. It just feels right. My mouth waters and it feels perfect.

O- With this being my third rr "ion" beer I knew I was going to be in for a real treat, but holy cow this thing is magical. if only Cali wasn't 4500km away

11-17-2011 01:58:19 | More by korguy123
dwagner003

4.96/5  rDev +11%

What can you say about Temptation that hasn't already been said a million times? It's a masterpiece. Nearly flawless, with the exception of some personal preference towards appearance and mouthfeel. Even still, it gets incredibly high marks there. It's a wonderfully tart and refreshing beer with the most pleasantly subtle oaky chardonnay background. This is a prime example of how to use Brett in a beer. It's vinous and effervescent, and just awesome.

09-29-2013 02:35:08 | More by dwagner003
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Batch 001, 375 mL bottle, corked and caged. Received in trade from GClarkage. Poured into St. Bernardus chalice glass.

This was a light amber, hazy beer with a one finger, white, dense foamy head that persisted throughout the experience. It left a lot of foam on the glass.

Aroma was of white wine and oak, but a little sour too. Very complez, not quite like a beer... damn, I love when beers are aged this way. They become so much more.

Taste was even more complex than the aroma. Massive Chardonnay and oak notes, and some maltiness thrown in. Slightly sour, but not out of place... it served to tie everything together.

Mouthfeel was smooth and mellow... a little foamy, too.

Drinkability was excellent... I had to make myself slow down to let it last, as this was all I had and all I would have for a long time. But I think I may well trade for this one again.

08-16-2005 02:06:56 | More by connecticutpoet
rhoadsrage

(Served in a goblet)

big thanks to goodbyeohio for this brew (batch 001)

A- This beer has a hazy golden deep copper color with a thick pure white foam that last and last. The carbonation is wave of microbubbles swirling in the glass. The head turns into thick sheets that stick to the side of the glass after each sip and turn to lace in some parts.

S- The smell of tart wild yeast and wild mushroom has a very soft hint of light oak and fresh rain with a very light earthy decomposition note. The finish has a nice bright lemon zest note.

T- The taste of smooth slightly sweet pale malt has a faint tartness with a brightness almost like lemon to it. There is a very light oak taste that is smooth and really balances the sweet malt and tartness. On the exhale, after each sip there is a very faint ham note that is quite nice. As it warms notes of chardonnay start to come through nicely and a faint grapefruit note blends with it.

M- This beer has a medium-light mouthfeel with a nice pucker in the back of the jaws in the finish.

D- Wow. This beer is so complex and smooth yet too mysterious to describe it in words. The flavors of Bret and oak are soft enough to let the blonde ale shine through but strong enough to give it so much more depth and character. I was expecting a sharp "extreme" American punch in the mouth but instead I got a beer that taste like decades of craftsmanship in the making.

06-05-2006 01:13:48 | More by rhoadsrage
throwitallaway

Alabama

4.95/5  rDev +10.7%

Can't remember who I got this from. Totally stoked on it thought, so thank you! Decanted from the bottle into an oversized wine glass. Pours a golden color with a big, thick head. Looks great. Aroma of funk, sourness, lemon and apple. Smells very wine like and completely delicious. Taste is just good. Initially hits you with some sourness, then, lemon, apple, and back to sour. Mouthfeel is well carbonated but creamy. Drinkability is off the scales. This beer is more or less perfect and one of my favorites.

07-20-2008 20:49:08 | More by throwitallaway